The State Historical Society of Missouri, founded in 1898, is the preeminent research facility for the study of Missouri and Missourians’ history and heritage. Our resources are available at the six research centers in Kansas City, Columbia, St. Louis, and Rolla, as well as through our courier service to Springfield.
Membership dues and gifts are the foundation for fulfilling our mission to preserve and share the stories of Missouri, Missourians, and the West and make them available today and for future generations. Please partner with us to keep Missouri history alive!
2012 IRA Rollover opportunity in January 2013
There are some tax changes for 2013 that may affect your philanthropic and financial planning.
The IRA charitable rollover is continued for 2012 and 2013.
The extension of the IRA Charitable Rollover is retroactive and applies to some gifts for 2012 as well as for 2013 and follows the same general requirements.
- Make a 2012 IRA Rollover in January 2013. A rollover gift made in January of up to $100,000 can be considered made in 2012. It must be completed by the end of January 2013.
- Convert a December 2012 IRA distribution to a 2012 IRA Charitable Rollover gift. If you took a required minimum distribution in December and it meets the criteria except for the direct transfer, you can claim it as a rollover gift in 2012 if you make a gift of that size to your charitable organization.
Please work with your tax advisor on any options you might have, and consider including The State Historical Society of Missouri in your plans.
For more information:
- Read our summary document in .pdf format here.
- View the full text of the Act here.
- Make a gift to The State Historical Society of Missouri here.
Please contact Ms. Severin Roberts, Director of Development, at 573-882-7083, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funding priorities for the July 2012-June 2013 year
Dues and gifts are critical for meeting this year’s priority objectives, which are above and beyond our work of bringing in new collections, publicizing their contents, and making our holdings more accessible to a wider range of users.
- Mission-Critical Expenses include the supplies necessary for archives and the art collection, digitization of records and materials, and preservation of genealogical resources and thousands of maps and photographs. ($82,407)
- National History Day encourages Missouri’s students to explore history as they research issues, ideas, people, and events from the past. ($30,602)
- Preservation of Newspapers on microfilm, the archival standard, safeguards our collection which includes every Missouri county and spans 1808 to the present. ($62,163)
- Missouri Historical Review is our award-winning quarterly journal featuring scholarly articles on diverse topics in Missouri history. ($24,656)
- Political Cartoon/Engelhardt Digitization Project will digitize a new gift of 6,000 editorial cartoons from St. Louis Post-Dispatch cartoonist Tom Engelhardt. An anonymous donor has pledged a 1:1 match to help fund this project! ($51,352)
If we can help with making a gift or renewing your membership, email us at email@example.com or call us at (800) 747-6366.
How else can you contribute?
There are many ways to lend your support!
- Gifts are tax deductible and go directly to funding our mission.
- Membership dues also fund core work and come with member benefits.
- Materials donations make the collection rich and varied. By entrusting your stories to us, we will make sure your stories are preserved and told.
- Time Our volunteer corps does everything from handling materials to helping with the public.
- Planned Gifts through your will, a bequest, or other financial vehicle will qualify you for the 1898 Society with special recognition for your making The State Historical Society of Missouri’s future a part of your personal legacy. Please contact Ms. Severin Roberts, Director of Development, at (573) 882-8415 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this special opportunity.