Your membership and gifts support The State Historical Society of Missouri's mission to collect and preserve Missouri's historical record and to provide educational and outreach programs that reach thousands of students, scholars, genealogists, and other patrons in Missouri and beyond. As The State Historical Society of Missouri continues to meet the growing demand for collections and programs both online and in the Research Centers, now is the time to partner with us to ensure that future generations may continue to discover Missouri's history and heritage.
Make a gift. Our mission relies on your partnership to keep Missouri stories alive! Your gift supports everything we do, from education and public programs to research and preserving collections. The following funds are the most frequently selected by donors as well as funding core programs and initiatives:
- Mission-Critical Support
- Newspaper Collection
- Technology Resources
- Missouri Historical Review
- National History Day in Missouri
- If you are interested in directing your gift to another fund, please click here.
If you need help making a gift or renewing your membership, email email@example.com or call at (800) 747-6366.
Become a member or renew your membershp!
How does my gift help?
Gifts to The State Historical Society of Missouri support efforts ranging from the Center for Missouri Studies Fellowships and Lectures and the National History Day in Missouri program, to putting primary sources and finding aids online, to preserving photographs and historical documents.
How can I contribute?
There are many ways to lend your support!
- Gifts are tax deductible and go directly to funding our mission.
- Gifts of Stock. Making a gift of appreciated stock can be a great option for extending your influence on our mission. You can direct your gift to mission-critical programs as either expendable or endowed gifts. Please contact us for the information necessary to make a gift of stock.
- IRA Charitable Rollover Gifts. If you are at least 70 1/2 years of age, you may be able to transfer a gift directly from your IRA to a charitable organization. This may be a good option if you do not need the income from a mandatory withdrawal or would like to use an IRA payment to make your gift and so not have to declare the money as income.
- Planned Gifts through your will, a bequest, or other financial vehicle will qualify you for the 1898 Society with special recognition for making the State Historical Society of Missouri's future a part of your personal legacy.
- Materials donations make the collection rich and varied. Entrusting historically significant documents, photographs, or other materials to The State Historical Society ensures that they will be preserved and made accessible to interested audiences.
- Works of art are welcome for consideration as in-kind gifts in keeping with criteria for collections.
- Volunteer and join our volunteer corps to work on projects like fulfilling research requests, transcribing, handling materials, and entering information into databases.
- Membership dues also fund core work and come with member benefits. A variety of membership levels are available. You can choose a membership to best suit your needs and reflect the support you want to lend to our mission.
How is my gift different from my membership?
Membership dues provide less than a third of the funds used for programs, education, publishing, research, and supplies. Additional support is necessary to fund all programmatic and collection-based expenses.
Is my gift tax-deductible?
Yes! The State Historical Society of Missouri is a private nonprofit organization. Gifts are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by the law. Benefits that come with membership reduce the tax-deductible amount of your dues. Please consult with your tax and financial professionals to make sure your gifts support the organizations you appreciate and offer you the benefits you need.
Can I make a gift to name and endow a program, collection, or staff position?
Yes! Named, endowed gifts allow us to tell your story as part of our story. Endowed gifts secure a bright future for preserving and sharing Missouri history and heritage.
- Program endowment opportunities include National History Day in Missouri, Center for Missouri Studies Fellows, workshops, document digitization, newspaper digitization, and Historic Missourians.
- Collection endowments allow the collections to grow, ensure their proper storage, and promote their study and use. Collection opportunities include Art, Photographs, Newspapers, and special topics like Environment and Conservation, Immigrants, Early Missouri History, and Politics.
- Staff position endowments invest in the level of expertise necessary to collect, protect, study, and promote archival, educational, and exhibit work. Examples of staff positions to endow include the Art Curator, Regional Specialists, Oral Historian, and Educational Specialists.
Who do I contact?
We have excellent professionals who will help you make a gift, become a member, purchase items from the gift shop, or make a research request.
Administrative Office: (573) 882-7083
To discuss making a gift, please contact Ms. Severin Roberts, Director of Development, at (573) 882-8415 or firstname.lastname@example.org