Gifts and membership dues are the foundation for fulfilling our mission to preserve and share the stories of Missouri, Missourians, and the West and make them available today and for future generations.
Since 1898 The State Historical Society of Missouri has been the preeminent research facility for the study of Missouri and Missourians’ history and heritage. Our resources are available at the six research centers in Cape Girardeau, Columbia, Kansas City, Rolla, St. Louis, and through our courier service to Springfield.
Please partner with us to keep Missouri history alive!
Funding priorities for the July 2013-June 2014 year
Dues and gifts are critical for meeting this year’s priority objectives, which are above and beyond our work of bringing in new collections, publicizing their contents, and making our holdings more accessible to a wider range of users.
- Mission-Critical Expenses include the supplies necessary for archives and the art collection, digitization of records and materials, and preservation of genealogical resources and thousands of maps and photographs.
- Art Collections gifts are for strategic purchases of works of art that enhance our collection of Missouri and regional art.
- National History Day encourages Missouri’s students to explore history as they research issues, ideas, people, and events from the past.
- Preservation of Newspapers on microfilm, the archival standard, safeguards our collection which includes every Missouri county and spans 1808 to the present.
- Missouri Historical Review is our award-winning quarterly journal featuring scholarly articles on diverse topics in Missouri history.
- Genealogical Resources gifts support access to genealogical databases, pursuit of papers relating to family histories, and ongoing work to make Missouri family histories accessible.
- Manuscript Collections gifts allow us to make strategic purchases of papers supporting our collection, such as the recently acquired Thomas Hart Benton letters.
Donors are expressing interest in the following:
If you need help making a gift or renewing your membership, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call at (800) 747-6366.
How else can you contribute?
There are many ways to lend your support!
- Gifts are tax deductible and go directly to funding our mission.
- Membership dues also fund core work and come with member benefits.
- Materials donations make the collection rich and varied. By entrusting your stories to us, we will make sure your narrative is preserved and told.
- Time Our volunteer corps does everything from handling materials to helping with the public.
- Planned Gifts through your will, a bequest, or other financial vehicle will qualify you for the 1898 Society with special recognition for making The State Historical Society of Missouri’s future a part of your personal legacy. Please contact Ms. Severin Roberts, Director of Development, at (573) 882-8415 or email@example.com to discuss this special opportunity.
Gifts of Stock and IRA Charitable Rollover Gifts
Gifts of Stock
Making a gift of appreciated stock can be a great option for extending your influence on our mission. You can direct your gift to mission-critical programs as either expendable or endowed gifts.
Please contact us for the information necessary to make a gift of stock.
IRA Charitable Rollover Gifts
If you are at least 70 1/2 years of age, you may be able to transfer a gift directly from your IRA to a charitable organization. This may be a good option if you do not need the income from a mandatory withdrawal or would like to use an IRA payment to make your gift and so not have to declare the money as income.
For more information:
- Read our summary document in .pdf format here.
- View the full text of the Act here.
- Make a gift to The State Historical Society of Missouri here.
Please contact Ms. Severin Roberts, Director of Development, at 573-882-7083, or firstname.lastname@example.org.