Digital Collections and Indexes
Directories & Guides
The Society’s circulating microfilm collections include newspapers, selected high-demand county history books, city and county directories, land ownership maps, periodicals, and other materials. Several online indexes, directories and guides help the researcher locate these resources.
- Directory of Local Historical Societies, Museums, and Genealogical Societies in Missouri
- Index to Selected Missouri Newspapers
This index to selected nineteenth-century Missouri newspapers was compiled over a number of years by State Historical Society of Missouri staff members. The newspaper titles and dates included in the online index are the Columbia Missouri Statesman, 1843-1886, and the Missouri Intelligencer, 1819-1835, published consecutively in Franklin, Fayette, and Columbia. A few entries appear for other mid-Missouri newspapers. The newspapers are not available online.
Researchers can find information about people and topics throughout Missouri in newspapers published in mid-Missouri. Most newspapers published articles picked up from papers in other parts of the state and covered events that occurred outside their readership area.
- Guide to Selected Holdings on Microfilm at the State Historical Society of Missouri
- Guides to Missouri Genealogical and Historical Research
- Missouri Newspapers on Microfilm at the State Historical Society