The State Historical Society of Missouri's collection is non-circulating; however, an interlibrary loan (ILL) service makes microfilm available to patrons who cannot visit one of our research centers.
The Society's circulating microfilm collections include:
- selected manuscript collections
- selected high-demand county history books
- city and county directories
- land ownership maps
- Find the resource you need using the following:
- To find a newspaper:
Missouri Newspapers on Microfilm at the State Historical Society
- To find city directories, maps, periodicals, books, atlases and other titles including the Society's newspaper collection:
MERLIN (The University of Missouri's Online Catalog)
- To find manuscript collections, use the search box on the Manuscript Collection page :
After typing in a search term, you may click through the manuscript holdings of all four research center locations. Not all collections are available on microfilm.
If a manuscript collection inventory lists 'MICROFILM' under the title, it is available for interlibrary loan.
For newspapers a citation includes:
- town of publication
- title of the newspaper
- the date or time period needed
For material other than newspapers, you will need to provide:
- publication date
- collection number
- call number (if possible)
The resources mentioned above will help you obtain this information.
Check with your local library regarding ILL policies.
To cover postage and handling costs, the Society charges $15.00 to $25.00 (US) per interlibrary loan transaction depending on your membership status, location and billing requirements of your local library. Some borrowing libraries pass this cost on to the patron, others do not. Payment is required in advance.
Instructions for Interlibrary Loan librarians:
- Any public or college library in the United States or International may borrow a maximum of two reels of SHS microfilm at a time. Note that the limit is two reels per library, rather than two reels per patron. The loan period is two weeks.
- We require the standard ALA request form. If you do not have the standard form, you may use the Society's ILL form to submit requests.
- Payment is required in advance
- Please submit a return addressed mailing label that includes the street address (The United Parcel Service cannot deliver to post office boxes.) Without a street address for a borrowing library, the Society must charge an additional $15.00 fee.
- Borrowing libraries are responsible for collecting ILL fees from the patron. The Society reserves the right to suspend interlibrary loan services to libraries with unpaid balances.
- Please return all interlibrary loan materials in sturdy cardboard boxes. Do not use Jiffy mailers.
- Ensure that borrowed SHS materials are used within the confines of the borrowing library's building.
- Note that the borrowing library is responsible for replacement or repair costs for any damage done to the interlibrary loan materials.
- The Society regrets that it cannot place any material on reserve.
Questions concerning the Society's interlibrary loan service can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.