To get started, please select the county in which you are interested from the list below or you can search for a town or title using the search box below:
If you are unsure of the county, check our list of towns in Missouri with newspapers on microfilm at the Society.
The purpose of this catalog is to provide a convenient source of information regarding the newspapers on microfilm that are available from The State Historical Society of Missouri to the public through interlibrary loan. To request microfilm, see our Interlibrary Loan Policy. When making a request, include the town of publication, title of the newspaper, and the date or time period needed.
Please keep a few points in mind when using this catalog:
- This is not a roll by roll listing; semi-colons (;) indicate gaps in our holdings, not the dates on each reel of microfilm.
- Often a list of issues spans many rolls of microfilm, and only the beginning and ending issues are indicated.
- A (mostly) complete span of dates, or issues, is indicated by a dash: "-", and only the beginning and ending dates are shown.
- Gaps in our holdings, not the dates on each reel of microfilm, are indicated by a semi-colon: ";".
- This list indicates the Society's continuing receipt of microfilm of currently published newspapers by the word "present"; however, microfilm of current papers may not be available until one to three years after publication.
Alphabetical Listing of Counties
Further information about the Newspaper Library holdings is also available online through the University of Missouri online library catalog, which includes the holdings of the State Historical Society. Newspaper holdings can be found by title or by searching for a county or town name under Keyword. The catalog entries include previous titles, succeeding titles, and information about the Society’s holdings of each newspaper.
Positive duplicate microfilm of newspapers microfilmed by the society can be purchased for $100 per reel. Purchasers must agree not to reproduce the film, and advance payment is required. Contact Lauren Leeman, Newspaper Reference Specialist, for further information and to place duplication orders.
Please read the Research Policy before submitting a request.
Prepayment of Research Fee is required and does not guarantee success.
Research requests can be submitted by:
- Newspaper Research Request Form for births, deaths, marriages and the like
- Research Request Form for other research
- e-mail: email@example.com
- US Postal Service: The State Historical Society of Missouri, 1020 Lowry, Columbia, Missouri 65201
Policies & Procedures
Please read our policies and procedures regarding use of the Society's facilities.