Wright County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Antler
Description:A post office established in 1893 and discontinued in 1909; named because the antlers of an elk were found stuck in a tree near the post office. (Tom Hensley; N.J. Craig)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Antrim
Description:A post office, established in 1881 and discontinued in 1906, whose name was probably suggested by some other post office; however, it may have been named for the Irish county in the Ulster province. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Astoria
Description:A post office established in 1882 and probably named for Astoria, New York, which ultimately traces the origin of its name to John Jacob Astor (1763-1848), president of the Astor Fur Company. The name is also found in Illinois and Oregon. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Astoria School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Battle Hill
Description:A hill which was the scene of the Civil War Battle, the battle of Hartsville, January 11, 1863. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blanchard School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boone Township
Description:A township formed and named for Daniel Boone, or possibly his son Nathan Boone, who settled in this part of the country in 1836. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boyer
Description:A post office, established in 1881 and discontinued in 1908; named for the Boyer family that lived near the post office. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brasher's Knob
Description:A knob eight miles northwest of Mansfield which was named for a family of Brashers who lived near there about 1890. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Broiles School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek Township
Description:A township formed in 1841 and named for Brush Creek which runs through the township. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Gap
Description:A post office established in 1882 and named for its location in a gap of the mountains leading to a cedar grove. (Mrs. Mary Welchel; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Gap School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cheerful Hill School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:China Pig Hole Cave
Description:A sink hole which forms a cave. A story is told that someone lost a pig and in hunting for it came to the hole. It was suggested that the pig might have fallen in; it's owner facetiously remarked, "Well, he's gone to China if he has." (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clark Creek
Description:A creek named for a hunter and trapper who lived on its banks. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cold Water School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coon Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cope School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cornelius School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crawford School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Creuse School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crossroads School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dawson School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dewey School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dove Creek
Description:A creek named by early settlers from the doves which built their nests along it. (W.E. Fuson; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dry Branch School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Duggan
Description:A post office, established in 1892 and discontinued in 1906; named for the Duggan family; who settled there about 1885. (N.J. Craig; W.E. Fuson)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Duggan School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Durbin School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk Creek
Description:A creek named for the elks which roamed on its banks in early pioneer days. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk Creek Township
Description:A township formed in 1841 which takes its name from Elk Creek, which runs through the township. (N.J. Craig; J.P. Gideon)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ellis School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Evening Shade School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fagan School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairmount School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flat Rock School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fuson
Description:A post office, established in 1889 and named for Dr. T.B. Fuson, a physician of the community. (W.E. Fuson)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fyan (later Mountain Grove)
Description:A post office, established about 1860 and changed to Mountain Grove (q.v.) in 1878; named for Judge Robert W. Fyan, a prominent figure in early county history. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gage
Description:A post office, established in 1893 and discontinued in 1898, and named for the Gage family of that community. (Tom Hensley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gasconade River
Description:A river named for the province of Gascony in France by the French hunters and trappers during the latter part of the 18th century. (N.J. Craig; Frank Julian)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gasconade Township
Description:A township formed in 1855, and named for the Gasconade River which flows through the township. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Geraldine
Description:A post office, established in 1893 and discontinued in 1907; named for the daughter of the postmaster. (Tom Hensley; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Glenwood School
Description:A name of situatiuon or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Green Forest School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Green Valley School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grimes
Description:A post office, established in 1904 and discontinued in 1907; named for the Grimes family who owned the land on which the post office was built and who ran a mill there before the post office was established. (Tom Hensley; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Groff
Description:A post office, established in 1901 and named for the Groff family, who had the first post office. (Tom Hensley; Mrs. Mary Welchel)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hart Township
Description:A township, formed in 1841 and named for Isaac Hart, who was very influential in the county. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hartsville
Description:An old settlement and town which was settled early in the 19th century and named for Isaac Hart, an early hunter and settler. (G.W. Freeman; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hawley
Description:A post office, established in 1892 and discontinued in 1908; Named for a family of Hawleys who were early settlers of the county. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Heppner
Description:A post office established in 1907 and discontinued in 1913, was named by the postmaster for his home, Heppner, Oregon. (Mrs. Mary Welchel)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Bluff School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:High Point School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hill House Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the hill houses of early settlers; one may be seen there yet. (W.B. Fuson; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hopkins School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Grove School [1 of 2]
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Grove School [2 of 2]
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kelley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kendrick School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Klondike School
Description:A historical name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lamb
Description:A post office, established in 1908 and discontinued in 1914; named for the Lamb family; prominent citizens in the community. (Tom Hensley; Mrs. Mary Welchel)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lewallin School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick's Fork
Description:A fork of the Gasconade River which was named for a Mr. Lick who lived near its source at the beginning of the 19th century. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loring
Description:A post office, established in 1907 and named for the Loring family who secured the post office. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loring School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Macomb
Description:A post office, established in 1882 and named for the Macomb family, early settlers in the county. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Macomb School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Manes
Description:A post office established in 1891. Said to have been named for the demons of Roman mythology; but the pronunciation makes this suggestion extremely doubtful. The Roman "manes" were pronounced _____. (Tom Hensley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mansfield
Description:A town named for Colonel F.M. Mansfield who, along with Mr. Nettlington, laid out the town and sold the lots in 1882. (G.W. Freeman; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marmaduke Bluff
Description:A bluff named for the Confederate commander John S. Marmaduke. It was from this bluff that one of Marmaduke's cannons plunged into the valley below, during the battle of Hartsville, January 11, 1863. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marmaduke Hill
Description:A hill upon which were drawn up the forces of the Confederate commander, John S. Marmaduke, who met Colonel C.W. Dunlop in the Battle of Hartsville January 11, 1863. Ever since it has been called Marmaduke Hill. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mingsville
Description:An old post office established in 1865 and discontinued in 1888, which was named for the Mings family, early settlers in the community. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mint
Description:A post office, established in 1891 and discontinued in 1913; named for the profuse growth of mint around the store where the post office was located. (N.J. Craig; Tom Hensley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Montgomery School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Montgomery Township
Description:A township formed in 1880 and named for the Montgomery family, early settlers in the county. (J.W. Freeman; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Moore School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Morning Sun School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Olive School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mountain Dale School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mountain Grove (earlier Fyan)
Description:An old post office established under the name of Fyan (q.v.) before the Civil War and changed to Mountain Grove, with reference to its location on a ridge in a grove of trees, in 1878. (N.J. Craig; Tom Hensley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mountain Grove Township
Description:A township formed in 1855, and named for the post office. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mountain Valley School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Needle's Eye Bluff
Description:A bluff northeast of Hartsville on the Gasconade River, which forms a natural bridge with a hole resembling a needle's eye. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Grove School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Newton School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:No. 5 School
Description:A numerical name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North Campbell School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Norwood
Description:A town established in 1882 and named by W.S. Thompson, a lawyer, who was Right-of-Way Agent of the Frisco, for Henry Ward Beecher's novel NORWOOD which he was reading at this time. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Odin
Description:A post office, established in 1882 by Syria Newton and probably named for the post office in Illinois. It is possible that he had the god Odin in mind; however, the reason for its name is unknown. (G.W. Freeman; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Offing School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Omega
Description:A post office established in 1889. Since it was the last post office at that time in the county it was called Omega. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Owen School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Parkins School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pea Ridge School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Knob School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Valley Township
Description:A township formed in 1855 and named for the Pleasant Valley Church, an early Cumberland Presbyterian Church. (G.W. Freeman; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pool's Mill (later Steele's Mill)
Description:A mill operated and named in 1875 for Isham P. Pool, an early settler and miller of the county. (G.W. Freeman; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Hollow
Description:A hollow so named because there was practically no timber there. (G.W. Freeman; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pumpkin Bend
Description:A point of land in the bend of the river where the soil was rich and especially fitted to grow pumpkins. (W.E. Fuson; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rail
Description:A post office established in 1889 and discontinued in 1908; named for the Rail family who settled there soon after the Civil War. (Tom Hensley; J.P. Gideon)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rayborn
Description:A post office, established in 1907 and named for the Rayborn family, who lived in the vicinity. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rembert
Description:A post office, established in 1909 and discontinued in 1914; named for the Rembert family, who had the first post office. (Tom Hensley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Robinett School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rogers School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smittle
Description:A post office, established in 1908 and discontinued in 1914; named for the Smittle family, prominent in county affairs. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smittle Cave
Description:A cave named for the Smittle family, who owned the land on which the cave was located. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smittle School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spence School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. George
Description:An old post office established before the Civil War, and named for a family of St. Georges who lived there about 1850. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Steele's Mill (earlier Pool's Mill)
Description:A mill owned and operated by a man named Steele. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stein's Creek
Description:A creek named for a family of Steins who lived on its bank about 1850. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Summit School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sunnyside
Description:A post office, established in 1882 and discontinued about 1908, which was named because of its location on the sunny side of a mountain. (Tom Hensley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sunnyslope School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Talmage
Description:A post office, established in 1908 and discontinued in 1914; named for the Talmage family who had the first post office. (Tom Hensley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thorpe School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Three School
Description:A numerical name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Umpire
Description:A post office established in 1880 and discontinued in 1907. By whom it was named and why, it has been impossible to find. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Van Buren Township
Description:A township formed in 1855 and named for President Martin Van Buren (term 1837-1841). (G.W. Freeman; N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Victory School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Walker School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Campbell School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Whetstone Creek
Description:A creek named by early settlers for the stones in the creek, which were used to make whetstones. (N.J. Craig)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Willow Springs School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Winters School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wood Township
Description:A township formed in 1880 and named for the Wood family, early settlers in the county. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wood's Fork
Description:A fork of the Gasconade River, which was named for James Wood, an early hunter and pioneer of the county who lived on its bank. (N.J. Craig; G.W. Freeman)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Worsham
Description:A post office, established in 1887 and discontinued in 1907; named for a family of Worshams who lived near the post office. (Tom Hensley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wright County
Description:The settlement of Wright County dates back to 1836, though men of what is now Texas County sojourned there as early as 1826. The county was organized January 29, 1841, and named for Silas Wright (1795-1847), a leader of the Democratic Party. He was United States Senator from New York (1833-1844) and one of the most brilliant statesmen of the day. (N.J. Craig; Haswell (11), p. 77; Eaton (46) V, p. 34)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names