Worth County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adams
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Allen Township
Description:Among the first settlers in Allen Township was Aaron M. Allen, who came from Illinois in 1843. It was in his honor that the township was named Allen. (HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 523; John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Allendale
Description:In 1885 Joel and William Allen laid out this town and named it Allenville. The name was changed to Allendale to avoid confusion of the mails with another town of the same name. Both names were derived from the founders. (HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 574)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Allenville
Description:See Allendale.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Amity School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Batson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bear Creek
Description:"It was named from the fact that some early settlers, including Samuel Vasser, killed a bear on its banks." (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Big Rock Creek
Description:Big and Little Rock Creeks derived their names from the fact that they have much rock along their banks, a thing out of the ordinary in Allen Township. (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Black's Grove
Description:An early settlement was called Black's Grove, taking its name from Judge Adam Black, who was one of the first county judges. (HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 520)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bressler School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brown's Mill
Description:The original site of the village of Isadore (q.v.) was owned by Kiljah Vaden, who built a log cabin there in 1855. In 1862 Vaden sold his land to Rinaldo Brown, a miller, who laid out the town in 1863 first known as Brown's Mill but later called Isadora. (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brushy School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Burst School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Butler School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Center East School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Center South School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Columbia School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Concord School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Defiance
Description:Jacob Winemiller laid out the town of Defiance about 1872, although he had operated a mill there from about 1885 and a store had also been established for some time previous to 1872. Because of the fact that the first merchant sold whiskey and defied people to enforce any law against him, the name Defiance was given to the town. (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Denver
Description:Denver was founded in 1849 by William McKnight. The town was called Fairview (q.v.) and the post office Grant's Hill (q.v.) until 1871 when both names were changed to Denver, at the suggestion of W.H. Campbell, in honor of James W. Denver, former Governor of Kansas. (Eaton, p. 74; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 303; HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 527)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Denver School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dry School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview
Description:Fairview is an interesting descriptive name, found in three counties. An account of the origin of the name in Harrison County as told by Mr. E.W. Howe, in his STORY OF A COUNTRY TOWN, is as follows: "On the highest and bleakest point in the county, where the winds were plenty in winter because they were not needed, and scarce in summer for an opposite reason, the meeting-house was built, in a corner of my father's field. This was called Fairview, and so the neighborhood was known." In reality, the name describes a locality near Bethany which was made famous by Mr. Howe's popular story. Fairview, Nodaway County, was established about 1875 by John Bilby, who came from Illinois to Missouri, where he bought several thousand acres of land. He was the first postmaster in Fairview. Originally the town site was known as Whig Valley (q.v.). Denver, Worth County, was first given the name Fairview. (Eaton, p. 74; Inman, p. 98; N. Sisson (letter); MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 303; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 522; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 260)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fishing River Township
Description:Organized in 1821 as a part of Ray County, this township included territory now belonging to six counties. The name was derived from Fishing River. (HIST. OF RAY, p. 241-2)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fletchall School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fletchall Township
Description:Named for John Fletchall who settled in Fletchall's Grove (q.v.). (John Ewing; HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 534)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fletchall's Grove
Description:An early settlement name for John Fletchall, a pioneer who settled in Worth County in 1848. (John Ewing; HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 534)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Freeland School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Friend
Description:Edward Dye established a store and secured a post office to which he gave the name Friend, about 1897. The name perhaps is idealistic. When Worth was laid out Dye moved his store to the new town and Friend ceased to exist. (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grand River
Description:The Grand River, one of the largest streams in northwest Missouri, is two hundred miles long. With its tributaries, it waters thirteen counties. A French party explored this river as early as 1724 and named it "La Riviere de la Grande." In Worth County are found East, West and Middle Forks of Grand River. Two post offices were established along the banks of this river, one in Caldwell County, in 1852, and the other in Gentry County. (HAYWARD'S GAZ., p. 824; HIST. OF CALD., p. 638; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 375; 1876, p. 201; Adams, p. 102; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 85; THE EVENING TRIBUNE, Sept. 4, 1915, p. 1; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 685; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grant City
Description:The land upon which the county seat of Worth is located was donated to the county in 1863 by G.W. Frakes and Isaac Miller. David Mull, a member of the county board is said to have suggested the name in honor of General Grant. (Eaton, p. 74; HIST OF GENTY & WORTH, p. 538)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grant's Hill
Description:Until 1871 the post office at Fairview (q.v.), now known as Denver, was called Grant's Hill. Since the name was given sometime before the Civil War, it could not have been given in honor of U.S. Grant, for he was unheard of before 1860. Local residents believe the name was selected by post office officials in Washington. (John Ewing; HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 527; Cited on CLARK'S MAP, 1860)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Greene Township
Description:These townships may have been named for General Nathaniel Greene of Revolutionary fame; (q.v.) the names of other townships in Nodaway County, Washington, Jefferson and Monroe. Although the names of other townships of Worth County were not selected from military leaders, the spelling of this name with the final "e" indicated that it may have been derived from the same source as the township in Nodaway. (PAST AND PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 258; John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Haas School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hudson City
Description:A town established shortly before the Civil War. Walter Hudson was the first postmaster in the village. (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hunt School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Iona
Description:Iona was established when the Great Western Railroad was extended through Worth County. It was named for the wife of its founder "Cap" Townsend. When Athelstan was laid out just across the line in Iowa, the town in Missouri ceased to exist. (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Irena
Description:Named by William Richard, who, with his wife, came from England. The name was derived from that of his wife's estate in England. The village was established in 1876 and is now merely a shipping point. (S.O. Rinehart (letter); W.R. Richards (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Isadora
Description:Isadora was formerly called Brown's Mill (q.v.). A traveling man is said to have suggested the name, Isadora, for his wife, when the town was laid out in 1863. (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Isadora School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jackson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jasper School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jay Creek
Description:Named for William Jay. (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jones East School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jones West School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Knie School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Leonard School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lot's Creek
Description:Henry Lot, originally from Kentucky, settled in what became known as Lot's Grove, in the vicinity of Lot's Creek, about 1840. For about three years he remained the only white settler in Worth County. There was a post office in Harrison County , Lots, which was also named for Henry Lot. (HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 570; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; B.P. Sigler; R.H. Dunn; HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 520)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Marietta
Description:Marietta, Holt County was laid out by Harlow Lewis in 1854. The Missouri River has since destroyed the town. In Worth County, Marietta takes its name from the wife of the first merchant in the village Caleb Canady. After the founding of Isadora, in 1863, Marietta declined. (J.E. Cummins; John Ewing; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 452)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Marlow Creek
Description:Named for an early day preacher. (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McKean School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Middle Fork Township
Description:Named for the principal stream within its boundaries, Middle Fork of Grand River. (John Ewing; HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 564)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Miller School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mineral Springs School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Molar School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Zion School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Muddy Creek
Description:The name Muddy, when given to a stream, testifies as to the character of the waters of the creek. (ATLAS DAVIESS, 1876; ATLAS DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303; John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Neiger School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oxford
Description:Formerly called West Point (q.v.). When it was found that there was another post office by the same name in the state, West Point, Worth County, became Oxford. Old settlers agree that the name was furnished by the postal authorities at Washington. (John Ewing; HOPKINS JOURNAL, Sept. 16, 1915, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oxford School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Peddler School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Platte Dell School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prohibition City
Description:A name given to the reestablished post office where the town of Smithton (q.v.) had once been located. Prohibition City was named from the fact that the original owner of the town site was a strong, uncompromising temperance man. The post office is now defunct. (HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 565-566)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rose Hill
Description:The post office at West Point (q.v.) which is now known as Oxford, was named Rose Hill. The town was located on a knoll and the name may have been suggested by wild roses which are found in abundance throughout northwest Missouri. (John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ross School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Salmon School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Scott School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sheridan School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Simpson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Smith Township
Description:Freeman O. Smith was one of the first settlers in Worth County, and in the township which bears his name. He came there before 1845. (HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 571)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Smithton
Description:Eli Smith, from Perry County, Ohio, founded the town of Smithton. It was once the county seat and after the removal of the seat of justice to Grant City, many of the buildings of Smithton were moved to the new county seat. About 1875 the town of Smithton ceased to exist, although a post office was reestablished there and called Prohibition (q.v.). HIST. OF GENTY & WORTH, pp. 365- 367)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Smithton School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Star of the West School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union Township
Description:Union Township, Daviess County, was first a part of Honey Creek and Jackson Townships. Then it became known as Gallatin but in 1869 it was given the name Union and the last name prevailed. An atlas of Harrison County, published in 1876, gives the following testimony as to the naming of Union Township in that county: The people of Harrison County were nearly unanimous for the Union, when the war came in 1861." Worth County, like Harrison, was strongly Republican, especially in Union Township. From the name, and from the date in which it was formed, 1861, there is little doubt but that it was named because of its stand in the war of Rebellion. In Nodaway County, Union Township was organized in 1856. The origin of the name here is uncertain, for incidents of the formation of the township may have influenced the choice. (PAST & PRESENT, vol. 1, p. 314-5; R.H. Dunn; ATLAS HARRISON, 1876; HIST. DAVIESS, p. 439; ATLAS DAVIESS, 1876, p. 12; John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Victory School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:West Point
Description:Oxford (q.v.), Worth County, was once called West Point, for Carter West, its founder and pioneer businessman. The post office was later called Rose Hill (q.v.). A town by the same name was established in Buchanan County in an early day. (HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 562; John Ewing; HIST OF BUCH., 1881, p. 121)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Willhite School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Williams School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Winemiller's Mills
Description:Defiance (q.v.) was established at a mill owned by Jacob Winemiller. Winemiller was one of the founders of the town and the first postmaster. (HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 589; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-1877, p. 163)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Worth
Description:See Worthville.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Worth County
Description:For many years following 1820 the territory now included in Worth County was a part of Ray. In 1833 it became a part of Clinton County, and in 1841, a part of Gentry. An act organizing Worth as a separate county was passed on February 8, 1861. Worth derived its name from General William Jenkins Worth, a distinguished American soldier, who died at San Antonia, Texas, May 7, 1849. It is the smallest county in the state. (Eaton, p. 74; Gannett, p. 330; HIST. OF HARR., p. 119; Conard, vol. V1, p. 526) (HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 513)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Worthville
Description:When the county seat commissioners met in Smithton (q.v.), 1861, they located the seat of justice adjoining Smithton but named it Worthville, evidently for the county. In 1864 the county seat was moved to Grant City (q.v.). (HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 598- 599)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names