Sullivan County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Alexander School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Anspach School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bairdstown
Description:This town was surveyed by its proprietors, Miles B. Baird, November 9, 1859. The village took its name from Mr. Baird. There is no town at this place now. (HIST. ADAIR, etc., p. 185; MISSOURI GAZ., (1898-1899), p. 149)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bairdstown School
Description:A name from a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Beulah School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Black Oak School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boon Hill School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bowman Township
Description:Bowman Township was organized December 12, 1872. Bowman Township as Bowmansville was probably named after the family of that name. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 54)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bowmansville
Description:Bowmansville was surveyed September 11, 1858. "When Bowmansville was in its prime there were about a dozen houses within its limits." There is no village there now. Perhaps it was named after the family by the name of Bowman. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 184)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boynton
Description:Boynton was first known as Jackson's Corners. It was surveyed by H.A. Sumner, April 9, 1877. This village was probably named after Judge Sumner Boynton who was sole judge of the county court from 1874 to 1878. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 195; P.O. GUIDE, (1925), p. 855; MISSOURI GAZ., (1879-1880), p. 130)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boynton School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brookshier School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Buchanan Township
Description:Buchanan Township was organized December 12, 1872. It was probably named for President Buchanan. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 54)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bundridge School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Castle
Description:See Green Castle.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Center Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Center Point School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chapland School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chappell School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cherry Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:Clay Township was organized December 12, 1860. It was discontinued in 1889. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1876-1877), p. 145; MISSOURI GAZ. (1889), p. 269)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clem Springs School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Colfax
Description:Colfax was a country post office kept at a private residence. No information could be found about the name. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1889), p. 279)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Colfax School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Comstock School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cook School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cora (McCullough)
Description:The town of McCullough was laid out October 29, 1877 by Mr. Sumner, a railroad engineer. The post office was named Cora, after the daughter of John J. Smith, who was the first postmaster. The station has been changed in recent years to Cora. McCullough was probably named after a railroad official. (Bert Moore; P.O. GUIDE, (1925), p. 855; HIST. ADAIR, pp. 193-194)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cora School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cross Roads School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dudley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Duffield School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Duncan Township
Description:Organized June 24, 1839. It might have been named for David Duncanson, who helped lay out the county seat in that year. When Sullivan County was organized, Duncan Township became a part of that county. (HIST. OF LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 190, 197)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:East Winigan School
Description:A name from a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Eggleston School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elgin
Description:The town of Elgin was surveyed by Samuel W. Mellor August 15, 1881. The name was probably transferred from the city in Illinois. (HIST. ADAIR, pp. 198-199; HIST. ADAIR, SULLIVAN & PUTNAM, pp. 198-199)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elm Woods School
Description:A name of location
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Enterprise School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Frazier School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gath
Description:See Parson
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gilbert School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gose School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Green Castle (Castle)
Description:Greencastle was surveyed March 12, 1857. It was named for Amos Green, a railroad official. Because the railroad was built a mile from the town, the citizens became very indignant and called the town Castle. The post office is known as Green Castle and the railroad station as Castle. (Miss Fay Knight, HIST. ADAIR, pp. 181- 2)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Green City (Penn)
Description:Green City was surveyed April 30, 1880 for the proprietor, Henry Pfeiffer. The town was incorporated February 10, 1882. It was first called Penn. Probably after Penn Township but in 1885-1886 the name was changed to Green City in honor of Amos Green who at that time was connected in an official capacity with the railroad. (J.G. Trimble, Names File No. 7; P.O. GUIDE, (1925), p. 855; Missouri Gaz. (1889), p. 401; HIST. ADAIR, pp. 185-6)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Griffith School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Haley City
Description:See Humphreys
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hamilton School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harlam School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harris
Description:The town of Harris was started as a town in the spring of 1887. The first store was built by A.W. Harris, who was a pioneer and capitalist. The town took its name from Judge Harris. (P.O. GUIDE, (1925), p. 855; HIST. ADAIR, p. 192; Eaton, p. 68)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hawkeye School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hazel Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:High Point School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Holliday School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hook School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hooker School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Humphreys (Haley City)
Description:Humphreys was surveyed in April, 1881. It was first called Haley City, but in 1882 it was changed to Humphreys. A business college was established here and the town flourished. The college burned and the town is just a village now. The names are both taken from pioneer families. (P.O. GUIDE (1925), p. 855; HIST. ADAIR, pp. 187-90; Eaton, p. 68)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Independent School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ivy Hill School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jackson Corners School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Jackson Township was organized December 12, 1872. It was probably named for General Andrew Jackson. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 54)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jackson's Corners (Jacksonville)
Description:Jackson's Corners was the post office at Jacksonville. Branson Jackson was the first postmaster and it is quite evident the town was named for him. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1876-1877), p. 238)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jacksonville
Description:See Jackson's Corners.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jones School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Judson
Description:The first store was built at Judson in 1879. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 187)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Judson School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kiddville
Description:In the early settlement of the county, Matthew Kidd's house was designated for the voting precinct. The name was changed to Green City in 1889. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1889), p. 708; MISSOURI GAZ. (1876-7), p. 273; HIST. OF LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 200)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kiddville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Knifong Grove School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Knob School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lee School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty Township
Description:Liberty Township was one of the first townships formed in Sullivan County. It was organized May 6, 1845. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 49)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Locust Creek
Description:This creek takes its name from the locust trees that grow along its banks. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McCullough
Description:See Cora
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Milan
Description:Milan is the county seat of Sullivan County. It was surveyed in 1845 by Wilson Baldridge. The name was evidently trransferred from Milan, Italy, but is pronounced ( ). (HIST. ADAIR, pp. 152-4; Eaton, p. 68; Postal Guide (1925), p. 855)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moggart School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Morris School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Morris Township
Description:Organized May 6, 1845. It was named for Roberson Morris, a pioneer settler who settled here in 1841. (HIST. ADAIR, pp. 49-50; pp. 862-3)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Olive School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Vernon School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Newtown
Description:Newtown was laid off January 16, 1858. The town lies partly in Sullivan County and partly in Putnam County. (Postal Guide (1925), p. 855; HIST. ADAIR, p. 183)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:North Bethel School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Opel
Description:Opel was a farmhouse post office. It took its name from the postmaster, John N. Opel. (Mr. E.N. Nickell; MISSOURI GAZ. (1889), p. 904)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Osgood
Description:Osgood was laid off by the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad in October 1886. It is probable that it was named for some railroad official. (Postal Guide (1925), p. 855; HIST. ADAIR, p. 192)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Overstreet School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Owasco
Description:Owasco was a country post office. There was a store built there in 1855 or 1856. Owasco is an Indian word meaning "bridge" or "lake of the bridge." (Eaton, p. 69; HIST. ADAIR, pp. 186-7)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Owasco School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Parson
Description:Parson was formerly known as Gath. This post office took its name from the creek (q.v.) which is nearby. (Gath is a Biblical name. I Samuel, XVIIL 4, 52; Mrs. W.W. Crawford; MISSOURI GAZ. (1898-9), p. 900)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Paw Paw
Description:Paw Paw, which is a country village is probably so called after the Paw Paw trees. (Eli Nickell; Postal Guide (1904), p. 677)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Payne School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Penn
Description:See Green City
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pennville
Description:Pennville probably takes its name from Penn Township, (q.v.). The Penn family was a prominent family there. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1876-7), p. 366)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pennville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pine School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Hill Township
Description:This township was organized May 6, 1845. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 49)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasantville
Description:Pleasantville was surveyed October 1, 1858 for the proprietors, Rev. and Mrs. Dowel Lafevere. The town does not exist now. It evidently took its name from the township, Pleasant Hill. (HIST. ADAIR, pp. 184- 5)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Polk Township
Description:Polk Township was organized May 6, 1845. (HIST. ADAIR, pp. 49-50)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pollock (Valparaiso)
Description:Valparaiso was surveyed September 10, 1857 for Elijah Casteel. The town flourished for a few years until the building of the Burlington Railroad when the town of Pollock took its place. Pollock was surveyed in 1873. It was probably named for a prominent family by the same name. Valparaiso was probably named for the town in Indiana rather than the capital of Chile. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 184; Postal Guide (1925), p. 855)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Red Brush School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Red School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Reed School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Reger
Description:The town of Reger was platted September 5, 1881. It was named for O.M. Reger, a pioneer settler. (HIST. ADAIR, pp. 198-9; Postal Guide (1925), p. 855; Eaton, p. 68)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ross School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Russell School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sandefur School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Scottsville
Description:The town of Scottsville was surveyed and laid off by Milton H. Williams and platted July 2, 1847. The oldest living resident does not know why the town was given that name. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 179)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Scottsville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Smith School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Springer School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sterling School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sticklerville
Description:Sticklerville was surveyed March 15, 1865. Henry Stickler opened the first store there. The village was evidently named for Mr. Stickler. There is no village at this place at present. (HIST OF ADAIR, p. 187; MISSOURI GAZ. (1879-80), p. 812)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sullivan City
Description:Sullivan City is one of the forgotten towns of the county. The original proprietors were John A. and Frances J. Ford. The town was platted October 30, 1857. It did not have a very long existence. The town took its name from the county. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 183)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sullivan County
Description:Sullivan County was fully organized Febrary 16, 1843 and named by Hon. E.C. Morelock for his native county in Tennessee. In the preliminary organization the county had been named Highland. The county was named for General James Sullivan of Sullivan, Tennessee. General James Sullivan was a member of the Continental Congress of 1782. He died December 10, 1808. "The name Highland was dropped because it had originally been applied in derision of the pretensions of the early pioneers." HIST. ADAIR, p. 48; Eaton, p. 68; RECORD OF CHAR. COUNTY, pp. 21-2)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tate School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Terry School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thompson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Turner School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union Township
Description:Union Township was organized December 12, 1872. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 54)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Valparaiso
Description:See Pollock
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Vrooman Township (Penn)
Description:Organized May 6, 1845. It must have been named for David Vrooman, who was judge of that district. The name of Vrooman was changed to Penn August 8, 1855. Penn Township was probably named for early settlers. (Eli Nickell; HIST. ADAIR, pp. 49-50, 54)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Warren School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Whaley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White Oak Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilhite School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Winigan
Description:Winigan was laid off February 4 and 5, 1880. A post office was established there in 1874. The post office and village were named for Winigan Creek, which is nearby. (Postal Guide (1925), p. 815; Mr. E.W. Nickell; HIST. ADAIR, p. 192)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wintersville
Description:Wintersville was surveyed for the proprietor, J.N. Winters, April 23, 1857. He started a store here and ran it for about fifteen years. It is quite evident that the town takes its name for Mr. Winters. (Postal Guide (1904), p. 677; HIST. ADAIR, p. 183)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wintersville School
Description:Named from a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wolfe School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woods School [1 of 2]
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woods School [2 of 2]
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names