Stone County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Abesville
Description:A town established about 1883 and named for Abe Payne who deeded the land on which the town was situated. (G.W. Thornsberry; Chas. C. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Alpine
Description:A township established in 1890 and named because of its high mountainous position. (Jim Barnes; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ance Creek (formerly Aunt's Creek)
Description:A creek, in reality Aunt's Creek (q.v.) but erroneously marked Ance Creek on late government maps. The change begins to occur about 1875. (Rufe Scott; Chas. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ance Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ance Creek Township
Description:A township established in 1890 and named for Ance Creek which runs through it. (Rufe Scott; Chas. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Aunt's Creek (later Ance Creek)
Description:A creek named for old Aunt China Bowman, an early settler, part Indian, who lived on its banks about 1850. (Rufe Scott; J.G. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Baker Branch
Description:A hollow near Cape Fair, named for a family of Bakers who settled there about 1855. (Geo. King; J.C. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bald Joe Mountain
Description:A bald knob mountain which was named after Joseph Philibert, the first man to come into and settle Stone County. In 1806, with two Delaware Indians, they came down the James River in a canoe, and camped at the bottom of the mountain. (O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Den Cave
Description:A cave east of Cape Fair, which takes its name from the black bears who used to den in the cave in early trapping days. (G.W. Thornberry; Geo. King)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Den Creek
Description:A creek which runs near Bear Den Cave, and which is named for the cave. (G.W. Thornberry; Geo. King)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Indian Creek
Description:The larger branch of Indian Creek (q.v.). (Rufe Scott; J.C. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Billerback Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Billerback family who settled there in 1889. (G.W. Thornberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bland Hollow
Description:A hollow named for Hiram Bland, who lived there the latter part of the 19th century. (Rufe Scott; Chas. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bland Spring
Description:A spring named for Hiram Bland on whose land it was located. (Rufe Scott; J.W. Thornsberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blue Eyes School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blue Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a family of Blues, who settled there during the early pioneer days. (Alex Bach; J.W. Thornberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bread Tray Mountain
Description:A mountain so named by early surveyors, because of its resemblance in shape to an old- fashioned bread tray. (J.S. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brown Springs [1 of 2]
Description:A post office, established in 1917 and named for the springs which are near the post office. (Chas. Leverett; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brown Springs [2 of 2]
Description:One of the headwaters of Spring Creek, named for Burton Brown, an early settler who was very influential in the early history of the county. (J.C. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brown Springs School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buttermilk Spring
Description:A spring named during the latter part of the 19th century by the floaters who came down the James River, because the spring was used by surrounding families as a springhouse in which to keep their buttermilk cool. (J.W. Thornsberry; Geo. King)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buzzard Branch
Description:A rather low, marshy stream upon whose banks there were numerous buzzard nests. (Geo. Scott; Geo. King)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Campbell Hollow (later Mease Hollow)
Description:A hollow named for the Campbell family, early settlers who lived there about 1850. (G.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cape Fair
Description:The oldest town in Stone County, settled during the early part of the 19th century. By whom or why it was named is impossible to say; however, it is probably named for its location on a beautiful point projecting into the James River. (Rufe Scott; G.W. Thornsberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cape Fair School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carr Lane School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carr Springs
Description:Named for Frank Carr who owned the land on which the springs were located. (G.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carrico School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Bluff School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Hill School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Hollow
Description:A hollow which takes its name from the many cedars that grow there. (Rufe Scott; Chas. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Charity School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coon Mountain
Description:A mountain which derives its name from the many raccoons who inhabited it during the pioneer days of the county. (O.F. Douglas; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cow Creek
Description:A stream which got its name from the cows which used to graze on its banks. (J.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crabtree Hollow
Description:A hollow named after the family of Crabtrees, who lived there before the Civil War. (G.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott; Chas. C. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crabtree Spring
Description:A spring on the land of the Crabtree family, for whom it was named. (Rufe Scott; Chas. C. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crane
Description:A town laid out in 1895 and named for Crane Creek (q.v.). (O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crane Bluff
Description:A bluff overlooking Crane Creek which derived its name from the blue cranes which nested there. (Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crane Creek
Description:A creek named by pioneer hunters for the blue cranes which nested on its banks. (O.F. Douglas; Henry Berry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crane Roost
Description:A high point overlooking Crane Creek which takes its name from the blue cranes that had a roost there. (O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crane School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dodge Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Dodge family who lived there during the early days of the county. (O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dogwood Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A hollow named for the Dodge family who lived there during the early days of the county. (O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dogwood Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A creek named for the dogwood which grows along its banks. It is mentioned as early as 1853 in the county records. (F.A. Moore; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dry Crane Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A creek named for the dogwood which grows along its banks. It is mentioned as early as 1853 in the county records. (F.A. Moore; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dry Crane Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A branch of Crane Creek which takes its name from the fact that it is dry most of the year. (Rufe Scott; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dry Creek
Description:A small creek running into Flat Creek that derives its name from the fact that it runs only in wet seasons. (O.F. Douglas; Geo. King)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:East James Township
Description:A township, originally the eastern part of James Township. (Rufe Scott; J.W. Thornsberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elsey
Description:A post office established in 1901 and named by the Postal Department. (Rufe Scott; J.C. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elsey School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Emmerson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fair View School
Description:A name approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairy Cave (earlier Fox Hunter's Paradise Cave)
Description:An old cave recently developed and named Fairy Cave because of its beauty, by Waldo Powell. (Rufe Scott; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fields School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flat Creek
Description:A creek which derives its name from the flat country near Cassville through which it runs. (Geo. King)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flat Creek Township
Description:One of the original townships which takes its name from Flat Creek which runs through it. (J.C. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flood School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fox Hunter's Paradise Cave (later Fairy Cave)
Description:A cave named by early settlers because of the many foxes which used to den in the cave. (O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fractional School
Description:A humorous name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:G.A.K. School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Galena (earlier Jamestown)
Description:The county seat of Stone County, changed from Jamestown (q.v.) to Galena in 1853; named for the lead mines then being developed in that section. Galena means lead ore, a mineral. The legend that Ponce de Leon in the 16th century found much ore here, and that it was he who first called it Galena, is baseless. (Rufe Scott; J.W. Thornsberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Galena School
Description:A transferred name from a town township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Garber
Description:A post office established in 1909 and named by Mr. Ross, the first postmaster; for Joel Garber who lived in the community. (John Bass; Sarah Wright)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gentry Cave
Description:A cave named for the Gentry family, who owned the land on which the cave was located. (J.G. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gentry School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gibson's Mills
Description:An old mill, since torn down, which was named for the Gibson family who owned and operated it in 1858. (Reuben Mayberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goff Creek
Description:A creek named about 1850 for John Goff, an important figure in the history of the county and one of its earliest inhabitants. (Geo. King; J.G. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gore Hollow
Description:A hollow on Ance Creek, named for an old man by the name of Gore who lived there about 1860. (Rufe Scott; F.A. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grant Township
Description:A township established in 1870 and named after General U.S. Grant. (Rufe Scott; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grove School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hampton School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Henrickson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Henry School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hilton Hollow
Description:A hollow near Crane, which was named for the Hilton family, early settlers of the county. (J.G. Scott; G.W. Thornsberry; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hilton Spring
Description:A spring which was on the land of the Hilton family. (J.G. Scott; Rufe Scott; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Holt's Cave
Description:A cave on Railey Creek named for the Holt family who owned it about 1895. (Rufe Scott; J.W. Thornsberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Horse Creek
Description:Named by early trappers and hunters for a band of wild horses that grazed on its banks before the county was organized. (J.G. Scott; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hurley (earlier Spring Creek Mill)
Description:A post office established in 1899 and named by the Postal Department. (Rufe Scott; Dewey Short)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hurley Township
Description:A township established in 1902 and named for the town of Hurley. (G.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Creek
Description:A creek which derives its name from the Delaware Indians who lived in that section of the country. (Geo. King; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Inmons School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jackson Hollow
Description:A hollow, near Galena, named for the Jackson family, early pioneers of Stone County. (Alex. Back; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:James River (earlier St. James River)
Description:A river, rising in Webster County and flowing through Stone and Greene Counties; formerly called the St. James Fork of White River. Mr. Myers thinks it was named for the James River in Virginia. (O.F. Douglas; Myers, Place Names in Southwest Counties of Missouri (57) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:James Township
Description:An original township established in 1851 and named for the James River. (G.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott; Geo. King)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jamestown (later Galena)
Description:A town settled in 1850 and named by the earliest settlers for the James River which flows near the site. It was changed to Galena in 1853. (G.W. Thornsberry; Record A. (Stone) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jamesville School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jenkins Creek
Description:A small stream, which runs into Flat Creek; named for the Jenkins family, early settlers of the county. (O.F. Douglas; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Joe Philiburt Bottom
Description:A hollow named for Joe Philiburt, an early settler who lived there. (Rufe Scott; J.G. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:John Hollow
Description:A hollow named for an old settler, John Davis, who lived there about the time of the Civil War. (G.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jones School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Keithley Cave
Description:A cave named for old Judge Bill Keithley, a prominent citizen of the section who owned the land on which the cave was located. (O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kennedy Hollow
Description:A hollow named after an old settler by the name of Kennedy, who homesteaded it years ago. (Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Keystone School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kimberlin Branch
Description:A creek named for Breman Kimberlin who had a mill on its banks during the first years of the county. (J.G. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lawrence Ford
Description:A ford named for the Lawrence family, early pioneers who lived on the James River during the early history of the county. (F.A. Moore; J.C. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lige Moore Hollow
Description:A hollow named for Lige Moore and his family, early settlers in the county. (J.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Linchpin
Description:A camping ground near Reed's Spring on the old road from Arkansas to Springfield. A current story of the usual "ex post facto" type has it that one morning after camping there the driver of the wagon took off the wheels. The wheels were fastended on the axles by linchpins, and when one driver went to replace his wheel he was unable to find the linchpin. He sat down to make one of wood and someone saw the linchpin stuck on the tar of the sole of his shoe. Ever since this incident the spot has been called Linchpin. (O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lincoln
Description:A township established in 1870 and named after President Lincoln. (J.C. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Indian Creek
Description:The smaller branch of Indian Creek. (Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Logan Township
Description:A township formed in 1880 and named for John A. Logan (1826-1886), United States general and Senator. (John Rogers; MS Hist. C. County (18), p. 2)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Low Cap Mountain
Description:A mountain which derives its name from its topographical aspect. (Geo. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marble Cave (later Marvel Cave)
Description:A cave first explored by Captain Freeman Bowell, Frank Arnold and Dr. Jones, the middle of the 19th century, and named for the marble that was found in the cave. (O.F. Douglas; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marsh Bottom
Description:A hollow, so named because of its low and marshy position. (J.C. Scott; Geo. King)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marsh Spring
Description:A spring in Marsh Hollow. (Geo. King; F.A. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marvel Cave (earlier Marble Cave)
Description:A cave, originally called Marble Cave (q.v.) which gradually through carelessness of pronunciation became Marvel Cave. Small boys often in the Ozarks refer to the game of marbles as marvels. This pronunciation has been taken over and Harold Bell Wright in his SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS called it Marvel Cave; since then it has been so advertised. (Chas. Groom; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mathess Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Mathess family who lived there during the early days of the county, about 1850. (Rufe Scott; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McCollough School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McCord Branch
Description:A small stream named for Dr. McCord, a homesteader and early physician of the county; he lived on the bank of the srtream. (G.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McKinley Township
Description:A township formed in 1902 and named after President McKinley (1843-1901). (J.C. Scott; Chas. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mease Hollow (earlier Campbell Hollow)
Description:A hollow named for the Mease family who settled there about 1890. (G.W. Thornsberry; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Medical Springs Hollow
Description:A hollow which derives its name from the Medical Springs which are located in it. (G.W. Thornsberry; J.C. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mill Creek
Description:A creek named for the old water mill of Joe Yochum which stood on its banks in 1850. (Record A. (Stone) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Home School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Naked Joe Mountain
Description:A mountain on whose peak, long before the Civil War, two fellows fought a duel without clothing. A man by the name of Joe won the battle. Since this time it has been called Naked Joe. (G.A. Moore; J.C. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nauvoo School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nelson's Mill
Description:An early mill named for a man by the name of S.D. Nelson who owned and ran the mill in 1852. (G.W. Thornsberry; Record A. (Galena) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Noel Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a family of Noels who settled there soon after the organization of the county. (G.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Notch (later The Forks)
Description:A post office which was named because it was on a notch road, During the early days of the country, when highways were few and inhabitants scarce, one notch on a tree meant the road to Springfield, two meant that the road was a wagon road, and three that is was merely a bridle path. (O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Notch School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Old Wire Road
Description:A road leading from Springfield to Rolla during the Civil War, which took its name from the fact that the first telegraph wire in the section was strung along the road. (T.C. Bassore; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oto
Description:A little town north of Galena which was named by J. Frank Seeman in 1890. The name is said to have been selected at random from a list of names because of its shortness and simplicity. There is an Ohio post office of that name. Oto is also the name of an Indian tribe. (John Bass)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oto School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Owens School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Peach Orchard Creek
Description:A creek named for the peach orchard which was on its banks during the latter part of the 19th century. (Geo. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Perkins Cave
Description:A cave named for a family of Perkins who owned land and explored it. (John Bass; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Philibert Creek
Description:A creek named for Joseph Philibert, who entered the county in 1805 and who was influential in laying out the county seat in 1851. (Rufe Scott, Record A. (Galena) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pierce Township
Description:A township which was established in 1853, and, it is generally agreed, named for President Franklin Pierce (1852-1856). (1) However, it may have been named for Andrew Pierce, president of the old Atlantic and Pacific Railroad. (2) (1. Rufe Scott; 2. O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pilot Knob
Description:A mountain that can be seen for many miles has been known as Pilot Knob since the earliest settlement, for its height and location. (Rufe Scott; J.C. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Run Creek
Description:A small stream named by early settlers for the pine on its banks. (Geo. King; Chas. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Piney Creek
Description:A small creek which was named for the "pinery" at its head, about 1860. A pinery is a large pine forest. (Geo. King; Chas. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Piney School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A name approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ponce de Leon
Description:A town and health resort named about 1882 by its inhabitants because its medical springs gave "everlasting youth," and so were reminiscent of the search of Ponce de Leon for the fountain of perpetual youth. (O.F. Douglas; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Radical
Description:A post office and community established in 1870 and named by George Shepherd for the political sentiment of the community. The people were Radical Republicans and therefore the place was called Radical. (O.F. Douglas; John Bass)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Railey Creek
Description:A creek named for old man Ben Railey who settled on its banks about 1850. (Rufe Scott; O.F. Douglas; J.W. Thornsberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Randelman Mill
Description:A mill named for the Randelman family, early settlers who owned and ran the mill in 1850. (Record A; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Reed's Springs
Description:A town established in 1906 and named by and for Fitzhugh Reed who first lived there by the springs. (John Bass; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Reeds Springs School
Description:A transferred name for a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Richwood School [1 of 2]
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Richwood School [2 of 2]
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Robeson's Mill
Description:A mill named for the Robeson family who operated it about 1855. (J.W. Thornsberry; Reuben Mayberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rocky Branch
Description:A branch named for its rocky bed; it has been known as Rocky Branch since the earliest history of the county. (F.A. Moore; Reuben Mayberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ruth
Description:A post office established in 1882 and named by the postmaster, Mr. Steele, for his daughter Ruth. (Rufe Scott; Jno. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ruth Township
Description:A township established in 1900 and named for the post office, Ruth. (Rufe Scott; Chas. C. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saltpeter Cave [1 of 2]
Description:A cave undoubtedly named for the Saltpeter found there. �
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saltpeter Cave [2 of 2]
Description:A cave in which a small vein of saltpeter was found about the time of the Civil War. Since then it has been known as Saltpeter Cave. (Rufe Scott; J.W. Thornsberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sammy Lane's Lookout
Description:A spot named and made famous by Harold Bell Wright's SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS published in 1910. (J.C. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Scooner School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shell Knob Mountain
Description:A mountain which was named Shell Knob by surveyors because of its resemblance in shape to a shell. (Rufe Scott; J.C. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Signal Tree
Description:A lone pine tree high on a ridge which was named and made famous by Harold Bell Wright THE SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS. (Rufe Scott; John Bass)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Silver Lake
Description:A small lake so called because of its crystal-clear water. (J.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Silver Lake Spring
Description:The spring which is the headwater of Silver Lake was named for the lake during the latter part of the 19th century by people of the vicinity. (Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Slane School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spring Creek
Description:A creek rising from a big spring, hence the name. (J.C. Harlin; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spring Creek Mill (later Hurley)
Description:A mill named for Spring Creek on which it was located. (Rufe Scott; Dewey Short)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. James River (now James River)
Description:A river, which, according to Mr. Douglas was named for the town of St. James in Phelps County by an early traveler. Since, however, St. James is not on the St. James River, and since rivers usually acquire their names before the towns that grow up in their neighborhood, this explanation is unlikely. (O.F. Douglas)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stallions School
Description:A local family name
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Still House
Description:A hollow that was named for a still that was located there during the early days of the county. (Geo. King; Chas. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stone County
Description:Organized in 1851 from portions of Greene and Taney Counties and named for John W. Stone, who came from Tennessee, an early settler and influential member of the community. The first settlement in the county was made by Joseph Philibert who, in 1806, with two Delaware Indians came up the White River thence to James. (John Bass; Geo. King; Rufe Scott; Eaton (46) V, p. 68)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stone School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugar Camp Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a sugar camp that was once situated in the hollow the latter part of the 19th century. (Chas. C. Leverett; Jno. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Swift Shoal Hollow
Description:A hollow which derives its name from the fact that there was a very swift shoal in the river near the mouth of the hollow. (G.W. Thornsberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Terrapin Spring
Description:A spring near Hurley named for the terrapins that lived near the spring. (J.C. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:The Forks (earlier Notch)
Description:This name is applied to the post office, Notch (q.v.), by Harold Bell Wright in his SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS, and iot has been known as The Forks. (Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tibbett's Ferry
Description:A ferry named for the Tibbett family who operated a ferry across the James River about 1850. (O.F. Douglas; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tom Davis Spring
Description:A spring named for Tom Davis who owns the land on which it rises. (J.G. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tory Creek
Description:A creek named for J.L. Tory who lived on its banks about 1850. (Geo. Moore; Chas. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union City School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Victory School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Viola School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Virgin Bluff
Description:There is a popular legend that an Indian maid quarreled with her lover and jumped off the cliff, committing suicide. The Delaware Indians told the white men the story and so it was called Virgin Bluff. (O.F. Douglas; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Washington Township
Description:One of the original townships which was established in 1851 and named for George Washington. (J.W. Thornsberry; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wheeler Branch
Description:A small stream which takes its name from the family of Wheelers who lived on its banks during the early history of the county. (G.W. Thorsnberry; Geo. King)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Rock Bluff
Description:A bluff overlooking the James River which takes its name from the bare white rock which makes up the bluff. (J.C. Scott; Rufe Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:William's Mills
Description:A mill owned by and named for John B. Williams who operated the mill in 1851. (J.G. Scott)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Williams Township
Description:One of the original townships which was named in 1851 for John B. Williams, the first judge of County Court and one of the commissioners appointed to lay out Jamestown (now Galena). (J.C. Scott; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wilson Creek
Description:A creek south of Railey Creek which was named for an early trapper and hunter by the name of James Wilson. (G.W. Thornsberry; Chas. Leverett)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wilson Run School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wooley Creek
Description:A creek named for Anderson Wooley who lived on its banks at the organization of the county in 1851. (Rufe Scott; Geo. King; G.W. Thornsberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wooley Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Yochum Pond
Description:A pond named for Jos. Yochum and the Yochum family, early settlers of the county. (Geo. Scott; J.W. Thornsberry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names