Schuyler County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Ailshire School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Barr School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Black School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brown School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brumby School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brush Creek School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton Township
Description:This township takes its name from Chariton River. It was organized in 1843.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Charity School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cherry Grove
Description:See Downing
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chilly Grove School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clifton
Description:This is a rural post office in Independence Township. It was discontinued about 1915. It was probably named for a family living there. (MISSOURI GAZETTEER, (1876-7), p. 145; TOP. MAP, EDINA QUAD.)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Coatsville
Description:Coatsville was laid out February, 1869 by Alexander H. Wells. No other information could be found. (SCHUYLER COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10; HIST. ADAIR, p. 733)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Coatsville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Coffey School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Combs School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Downing (Cherry Grove)
Description:The town of Downing was formerly known as Cherry Grove. It was laid out in 1872 for the Missouri Town Company by H.H. Downing. It is quite evident the town was named for him. (TOP. MAP, EDINA QUAD.; HIST. SCHUYLER, p. 137) (MISSOURI GAZ., (1876-7), p. 168; HIST. ADAIR, p. 730)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:East Lynn Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elm Creek
Description:Elm Creek is probably named for the elm trees along the river banks. This creek has become famous in Nelson J. Scurlock's book of poems, FISHIN' LONG OL' ELL'UM CREEK (TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elm Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Energy School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fabius River
Description:Fabius River was named for the celebrated Roman consul. (Gannett, p. 123)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fabius School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fabius Township
Description:This township is probably called Fabius because the north fork of Fabius River has its source there. The township was organized in 1843. (HIST. SCHUYLER, p. 127; TOP. MAP, EDINA QUAD.)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Germania
Description:Germania is a country post office which was discontinued about 1900. (TOP. MAP. EDINA QUAD.; MISSOURI GAZ., (1898-9), p. 387)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Glenwood
Description:The town of Glenwood was laid out in 1868 by Stiles and Alexander Forsha. It was probably named for the township. (HIST. SCHUYLER, p. 138; Williams, HIST. OF N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 604; HIST. ADAIR, p. 726-7)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Glenwood Township
Description:Glenwood Township was organized about 1858. The name was probably descriptive of the place at that time. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 618; TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY; HIST. SCHUYLER, p. 130)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Green Valley School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Greentop (Green Top)
Description:"Greentop is a post village of Schuyler County. The town was laid out in 1855." (HIST. ADAIR, p. 733; HIST. SCHUYLER COUNTY, p. 140; TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Griffin
Description:The village of Griffin was named in honor of A.L. Griffin, who was assistant superintendent of the M. I. and N. railroad. (Eaton, p. 64)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hale School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hartford School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Mound School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Independence School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Independence Township
Description:Independence Township was organized in 1843. (HIST. SCHUYLER, p. 127; HIST. ADAIR, pp. 616-7; TOP. MAP, EDINA)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:J.D. School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jimtown School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Julesburg
Description:Julesburg is a country post office. (P.O. GUIDE, (1904), p. 677; TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY, QUAD)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kelley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lancaster
Description:Lancaster was selected the county seat on June 2, 1845. The name was selected by James Lusk who donated the money for the purpose of making Lancaster the county seat. Another reference says Robert Neely named the village in honor of his native town in Lancaster, Ohio. (Williams, HIST. OF N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 603-4; SCHUYLER COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10; HIST. ADAIR, pp. 620- 2)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty Township
Description:Organized in 1843. It was one of the original townships. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 617; TOP. MAP, EDINA, QUAD: TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY, QUAD.: HIST. SCHUYLER COUNTY, p. 128)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lien School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lucas School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Melvin School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Montgomery School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Tabor School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Vernon School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Hope School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Zion School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Patterson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pin Oak School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant View School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Township
Description:Organized in 1853. "The country immediately east of Lancaster is made up of rolling prairie and low flat ridges with wide shallows between them." (HIST. SCHUYLER, p. 130; HIST. ADAIR, pp. 595-6; TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY QUAD; TOP. MAP, EDINA QUAD.)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Queen City
Description:Laid out by Dr. George W. Wilson, in May, 1867 as "Queen of the prairies." (HIST. ADAIR, p. 731; SCHUYLER COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10; Eaton, p. 64; TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY QUAD.)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Red School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Reeves School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salt River Township
Description:This township is probably called Salt River because Salt River has its source here. (TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY QUAD.; TOP. MAP, EDINA QUAD.; HIST. SCHUYLER, p. 130)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Satterfield School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Schuyler County
Description:Organized February 17, 1843. It was named for General Philip Schuyler of the Revolution. (Eaton, p. 63; Gannett, p. 277; HIST. SCHUYLER, p. 29; HIST. ADAIR, p. 615)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sloop School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Swanston School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tipp School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tippecanoe
Description:Tippecanoe is the oldest town in Schuyler County. It was established a number of years before the county was organized. "Prior to 1854 the town was a strong rival of Lancaster and was a candidate for the county seat." It has long existed only in memory. The word is Indian in origin and is given various meanings as "at the great clearing," "long lipped pike" and "buffalo fish," and probably borrowed from the town in Ohio. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 717; Williams, HIST. OF N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 603; Gannett, p. 301; HIST. SCHUYLER, p. 132)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Toennia
Description:Toennia was a country post office and was discontinued in 1878 or 1879. No information on this name could be found. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1878-9), p. 822; MISSOURI GAZ, (1876-7), p. 634)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Linn Grove School
Description:A name of location
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Worthington
Description:Probably named for Woodford E. Worthington, a farmer and stock raiser who came to Schuyler County in 1853. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 1131)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names