Saline County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Anaheim School
Description:Name of unknown origin
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Antioch School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Armentrout School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Arrow Rock
Description:Arrow Rock was established in 1829 and called Philadelphia. On February 8, 1833 the State General Assembly changed the name of Arrow Rock. The name is derived from the fact that the Indians used pieces of rock found here, for the purpose of making heads for their arrows. (Eaton, p. 63; Gannett, p. 29; 2. Missouri Territorial Laws II, p. 370)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Arrow Rock Township
Description:This township was organized February 25, 1822 and named for the principal town of Saline County at that time. (q.v.). (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ayres
Description:About 1882 this country store was established, and named for Mr. B.F. Ayres, a pioneer, near whose farm it was located. (Frank L. Ayres; Jacob Van Dyke; Cited on Official Map of Missouri 1907)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Baker School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bates School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bee Branch
Description:A tributary of Blackwater River; rises in the eastern part of Grover Township, in Johnson County; empties into Blackwater in Salt Pond Township in Saline County. Named for the bee trees found along the banks of the stream in an early day. (A.M. Crag; HIST. JOHNSON (1881), 620)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blackburn
Description:"Upon the completion of the Chicago and Alton Railroad to that point, Francis Blackburn, in whose honor the town is named, and Mr. P.H. Rea, of Marshall, laid out the city's boundaries, February 3, 1880." (HIST. SALINE, 1881 edition, p. 514; Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blackwater Creek
Description:The name is derived from the character of the water and banks. (Eaton, p. 280; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blackwater Township
Description:Blackwater Township was organized May 2, 1825 and named for the stream that flows through it. (q.v. Blackwater Creek). (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blosser
Description:This shipping station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, was established in 1888, and named in honor of Mr. E.J. Blosser, on whose land it was built. (Eaton, p. 63; S.T. Gray; JacobVan Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blue Lick
Description:September 4, 1907 a country store was established at Blue Lick Springs. (q.v.). Recently it was moved to highway number 40 but retains its old name. (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres; Cited on Railroad Commissions Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blue Lick School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blue Lick Springs
Description:These springs received their name from the color of their water. (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bluff School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brownlee School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brownsville
Description:Brownsville was laid out in 1838 by S.G. Wentworth and Wm. Bron, the miller. These men owned the land on which the town was built and it was named for Mr. Brown. Several years later the name was changed to Sweet Springs because of the exceptional medical springs located there. (HIST. SALINE (1881), p. 502; Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres; S.T. Gray)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bucksnort School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cambridge
Description:Cambridge, a small village and boat landing on the Missouri River, was founded in 1848 and incorporated in 1858. For a time it was a place of considerable importance but the building of the Chicago and Alton Railroad away from the town damaged it greatly and Cambridge is now extinct. Nothing could be found concerning the name. (Jacob Van Dyke; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cambridge School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cambridge Township
Description:This township was organized June 7, 1871, and named for the old town of Cambridge that is now extinct. (q.v.). (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres; ATLAS OF SALINE COUNTY, p. 22)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carmean School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Centennial School
Description:Named for its time of founding (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Central School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chappell School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clay Center School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:This township was organized February 5, 1837 and named by the admirers of Henry Clay in his honor. The first settlements of the county were made in this township. (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cow Creek
Description:This name was applied to a country post office. Nothing was found concerning it. (Cited in MISSOURI GAZETTEER & BUSINESS DIRECTORY, 1860, p. 63)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Davis School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Downs School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Edwards School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elgin School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Eli School
Description:A local family name (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elm Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elmwood
Description:This inland town was laid out in 1867. Nothing definite could be found concerning the name. Perhaps there was a grove of elm trees nearby. (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres; Cited on Clark's Sectional Map of 1860)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elmwood School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elmwood Township
Description:This township was organized May 30, 1870, and named for the town of Elmwood (q.v.). (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fair Play School
Description:An ideal name (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fairville
Description:Was laid off in 1856 by Colonel John Brown who established an academy and boarding house on its site. It derived its name from the fair view of its location. The place is now only a country store. (ATLAS OF SALINE COUNTY, p. 22; Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fairville School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Finney Creek
Description:This is doubtless a family name although nothing definite could be found concerning it. (Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Marshall Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fisk Creek [1 of 2]
Description:The origin of this name could not be found. (Cited on Sectional Map of Missouri, 1844)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fisk Creek [2of 2]
Description:This country post office received its name from the creek near which it is located. (q.v.). (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres; Cited in MISSOURI GAZETTEER (1876), p. 184)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Forest Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Frankfort or New Frankfort
Description:Frankfort was laid off in January, 1858, by the Columbia City Building Association, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and settled by a German colony who named the town for Frankfort, Germany. (HIST. SALINE, 1881 edition, p. 457; Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fulkerson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gaines School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Garnett School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:George School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gilliam
Description:The thriving little town of Gilliam was laid out September 4, 1878, and named for a farmer, who lived nearby. (Eaton, p. 63; Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Glenwood School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Glover School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Good Hope School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Good Luck School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grand Pass Township
Description:Grand Pass Township was organized in 1841, "received its name from the fact that the Osage Trail connecting farther west with the Santa Fe Trail here followed the narrow divide between Salt Fork and the Missouri Bottoms. This "pass" is about one and a half miles long and in one place so narrow that a stone can be thrown across." (Eaton, p. 63; Jacob Van Dyke)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Green Mound School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Green Valley School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gwinntown
Description:"Three brothers, Bartholomew, William, and Almond Gwinn, from Cocke County, Tennessee, and some settlers from Kentucky settled in Jefferson Township. This settlement was for a time called Gwinntown. The Gwinns and their relatives were so numerous that for a long time they controlled the politics and the political affairs of the county, and especially of Jefferson Township. A candidate was sure of election if they all voted for him." The Gwinns have died and the community is no longer known as Gwinntown. (HIST. SALINE, 1881 edition, pp. 455-6; Jacob Van Dyke)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hardeman School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hawley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Herndon
Description:An inland town, was laid off by T.C. Elliott, December 28, 1874, and commemorates Mr. Edward S. Herndon, "who established the first store, the first dwelling house, and the post office." (HIST. SALINE, 1881 edition, p. 490; Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Herndon School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Herring School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:High Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hupp School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Independence School
Description:Named for its time of founding (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jester School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kennedy School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Koping
Description:"Charles Parker Williams came there in 1883, built a store, mill, and a blacksmith shop, naming the place Koping meaning "a place of business." I think my father found the name in the old dictionary (Webster's 1861) and used it." This name is very interesting from a philological point of view. We have the old stem from which it is derived: Old Frisian "Kap," Old Saxon "Kop," Dutch "Koop" (to purchase) "Koopen." The original meaning was to "bargain, to buy, to exchange or barter." From "Koopen" we find Middle English "copen," which has given cope, coped (Kopt), coping (Koping). The form Koping is probably a result of the tendency to spell a word as it is pronounced. The name Koping is applied to a town in southern Sweden near Lake Wetter. Closely akin to the Dutch word "Koop" is the word cheap from Anglo-Saxon "ceap" meaning "bargain, sale, places of buying and selling," as in the place-names of Cheapside, and Eastcheap (obs.). (Names File Number 11 and 12; New Oxford Dictionary, Vol. II, part I, p. 360; Webster's New International Dictionary, p. 496; IBID., p. 75)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Laynesville
Description:Laynesville "was founded in 1870 by John W. Layne, a large stock dealer, shipper and commission merchant. Until 1875 the town grew rapidly and became one of the heaviest shipping points on the river." It was destroyed by the flood of 1881. (HIST. SALINE, p. 436, ATLAS OF SALINE COUNTY, p. 22; Jacob Van Dyke)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty Township
Description:This name, like other abstract names, doubtless represents an ideal in the mind of those who applied it. The township was organized May 2, 1871. (Jacob Van Dyke)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Linn Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Little School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Logsdon School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lost Branch School
Description:Named for its location
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Major School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Malta Bend
Description:"Many years ago the old steamboat Malta struck a snag, on one of her trips up the river, and sunk at the bend near what has since been called Malta Bend Landing. The bend in the river assumed the name of the steamboat, and the landing the name of the bend, and the town, back of the bluffs, the name of the landing, Malta Bend." The town was surveyed by Joseph R. Lunbeck in 1867. [The Malta sank on August 8, 1842. See F581, C369 Chappell, p. 70] (HIST. SALINE (1881) ed.), p. 434; Eaton, p. 63; Campbell, p. 584)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Marshall
Description:The county seat of Saline County was settled in 1840, and named in honor of the chief justice of the United States, John Marshall, who died shortly before the town was incorporated. (Eaton, p. 63; Parker, p. 378; Campbell, p. 70)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Marshall Township
Description:Marshall Township was organized in February, 1841, and named for the county seat of the county. (q.v.). (Jacob Van Dyke, Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McAllister
Description:This inland town was so named because of its location near McAllister Springs. The springs were named for the owner of the land. (Jacob Van Dyke, Frank L. Ayres, Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McAllister School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Miami
Description:Miami was surveyed in 1838 and called Greenville in honor of a prominent family in the community. In 1843 the name was changed to Miami for a tribe of Indians that inhabited this section of the country in the early days. "The meaning of the word Miami is uncertain." (ATLAS OF SALINE COUNTY, p. 22; HIST. SALINE (1881), p. 445; Gannett, p. 207)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Miami Township
Description:In 1817 the first settlement was made in this township. It was organized February 25, 1822, and named for the town of Miami (q.v.). (Jacob Van Dyke; F.L. Ayres; HIST. SALINE (1881), p. 437)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Miller School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mount Horeb School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mount Leonard
Description:"When the engineers were locating a line for the Chicago and Alton extension from Mexico to Kansas City, an error was made in their calculations so that the profiles sent into the general offices at Chicago made the ridge on which Mount Leonard is located, appear as a real mountain ridge. The engineers, through the error, not being able to find a practical grade, were about to make a detour of eight miles to the south. T.B. Blackstone, president of the company, a civil engineer, not wishing to make such a detour, came out to view the "mountain." After seeing it, he knew a practical grade could not be obtained. He got on a horse and started up the ridge, telling the engineers to follow. The railroad was built on his "horseback line." When the town was laid out, in 1877, it was named "Mount" because of the error in the engineer's figures, and "Leonard" for Abiel Leonard on whose farm the town was located." (Names File Number 7; HIST. SALINE (1881 ed.), p. 515)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mount Leonard School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mount Zion School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Murrill School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Napton
Description:Napton was founded on October 22, 1887 and called Jonesboro, for the Jones family who lived there. It was selected as the county seat and was a thriving town for a few years. "However, with the departure of the county seat to Arrow Rock departed the glory of Jonesboro." When the Chicago and Alton railroad was built a station was established at Jonesboro and the name changed to Napton, judge of the Supreme Court. (HIST. SALINE (1881 ed.), p. 479, Eaton, p. 63)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Napton School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Neff School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nelson
Description:This station, on the Missouri Pacific, was established in May, 1887 and named for the Nelson family on whose land it was built. (Jacob Van Dyke, Frank L. Ayres, Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri, 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Frankfort School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Norton
Description:Norton was laid off August 1, 1878 by Jesse Van Winkle, who owned the land. Today it is only a shipping station on the Chicago and Alton. The railroad company named it in honor of Judge Norton, of the Supreme Court. (HIST. SALINE (1881 ed.), p. 530; Jacob Van Dyke)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oakwood School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Old Jefferson
Description:For eleven years this village, now extinct, was the county seat of Saline County. It was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States at the time of the Louisiana Purchase. (HIST. SALINE (1881 ed.), p. 456; Jacob Van Dyke)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Orearville
Description:Orearville not a regularly laid off town. It received its name "from the Orear family who moved to Missouri from Kentucky in 1852 and settled in Saline County. They brought with them considerable money and a large number of slaves." The town is now extinct. (ATLAS OF SALINE COUNTY, p. 20; Conrad, Vol. V, p. 20; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Orearville School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Petra
Description:The origin of the name of this defunct village could not be found. (Cited on Clark's Sectional Map of Missouri 1860)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pierre Fleshe
Description:This stream is located near Arrow Rock, where the Indians went for rocks to use with their arrows. "Pierre" is the French word for rock and "fleche" is French for arrow. The stream abounded in beaver, otter and other fur bearing animals and was much resorted to be the French hunters and trappers who named it. It is not known when or how the spelling was changed to Fleshe. (HIST. SALINE, p. 469)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Potter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Home School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Lawn School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie View School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ray School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Reynolds School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ridge Prairie
Description:Ridge Prairie "received its name from the first post office, which was at "Squire Hancock's," and by "pony-purse" was brought weekly from Arrow Rock. The post office got its name from the Prairie which was over a mile wide and three miles long." Recently the store was moved to the highway number 40 but retained its name of Ridge Prairie. (HIST. SALINE (1881 ed.), p. 484; Jacob Van Dyke)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ridge Prairie School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:River View School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Robert Leigh School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rose Valley School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ross School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Saline City
Description:Saline City was founded in 1858 and named Saline City for the county, "though the point had been known by Indians, and by them named "Little Arrow Rock." When the post office was established here it was found that there was already a post office in Missouri named Saline City, hence the post office department registered the office as "Little Rock Missouri." The town and its site were long called "Little Arrow Rock." One store is all that is left of the town. (HIST. SALINE, (1881), p. 468; Jacob Van Dyke)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Saline City School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Saline County
Description:Saline County was organized on November 25, 1820 and named for the many salt springs it contained. (Conrad, p. 476; Eaton, vol. 13, p. 63; Jacob Van Dyke)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Saline Valley School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salt Branch School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salt Fork Township
Description:This township was organized May 6, 1873, and named for the stream that flows through it, (q.v.). (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salt Pond School
Description:A transferred name from a creek.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salt Pond Township
Description:Salt Pond was organized in May, 1834, and named for the many salt springs within its boundaries. (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salt Springs
Description:Salt Springs is a flag station on the Chicago and Alton railroad. The name has reference to the two large Salt Springs one-fourth mile from the station. (Jacob Van Dyke, HIST. SALINE (1881 ed.), p. 516)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salt Springs School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shackleford
Description:Shackleford was plotted on December 29, 1879, upon the completion of the Chicago and Alton Railroad. It was named for Mr. Thomas Shackleford, of Glasgow, Missouri, attorney for the Chicago and Alton road. (Eaton, p. 63; Jacob Van Dyke; HIST. SALINE (1881 ed.), p. 53)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shackleford School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sharon School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shelby School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Slater
Description:Slater was plotted January 9, 1889 and named in honor of Colonel John F. Slater of Chicago, a prominent director of the Chicago and Alton road. (Eaton, p. 63; HIST. SALINE (1881 ed.), p. 464; Conrad, p. 597)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:South Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Star School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Steele School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stonewall School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sulphur Springs School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sunny South School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sunnyside School [1 of 2]
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sunnyside School [2 of 2]
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sweet Springs
Description:Sweet Springs was laid out in 1838 and called Brownsville in honor of one of the founders. Later the name was changed to Sweet Springs because of the exceptional medical springs nearby. (Eaton, p. 63; Frank L. Ayres; Jacob Van Dyke)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thornlea School
Description:Named for its location (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thorp School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tusseyville
Description:Located at the intersection of highways number 65 and number 40, consists of a store, garage and service station. Mr. R.A. Tussey owned the land on which the buildings are located. The village was founded since the completion of the highways. It is also known as "The Intersection" because of its location. (Jacob Van Dyke; Frank L. Ayres)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Van Meter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walker School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Webb School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Weber School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wheeler School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White's Island School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woodson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names