St. Clair County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Allen's Prairie
Description:In Collins Township; named for a family that lived on the prairie. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1051)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Appleton Center School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Appleton City
Description:Earlier Arlington. This name, which replaced Arlington (q.v.) was given about 1872 in honor of D.S. Appleton (1824-1890) of the Appleton Publishing Company, who gave a five hundred dollar library to the city. (W.B. Stout; Hist. of Henry and St. Clair (1883), 1005; Encyclopedia Britannica, Vol. II, p. 123)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Appleton City School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Appleton Township
Description:In the northwestern part of the county; organized in 1880, and named for the town. (W.B. Stout; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1000)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ararat School
Description:A biblical name.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arkansas School
Description:In Dallas Township. Named for its location in country similar to Arkansas, and also for the backwoods people. (S.J. Hutton; E.M. Terry; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arlington
Description:Later Appleton City. This name was first given to a town in the northwestern corner of Appleton Township, laid out September 22, 1870. Later renamed Appleton City (q.v.). The first name was given for a man who ran a hotel here. (Mrs. A.B. Hilton; History Henry and St. Clair (1883), 1004)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ashworth School
Description:Named for a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Baker Post Office
Description:In the northern part of Jackson Township; established in 1869. Discontinued in 1918. Named for Mr. Ike Baker (1848- ), who was postmaster. Mr. Baker came here from Polk County. He now lives on a farm near Eldorado Springs, Missouri. (R.P. Johnson; John Attebury; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1040)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Benton School
Description:Named for Mr. Green Benton, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethel Church
Description:In the northern part of Polk Township; organized April 29, 1837 by Reverend Elijah Williams and Reverend Hiram Savage. A familiar Bible name. (cf. Gen. 28:19), meaning "house of God." Now extinct. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1044)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Coon Creek
Description:A tributary of Sac River in the southern part of the county; named for the raccoons in its vicinity and because it is a larger stream than the one in the western part of the county. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Monegan Creek (also Big Monegaw)
Description:This name is also given to Big Monegaw (q.v.). (Coues "Expedition of Pike" (1895), n.p. 385)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Monegaw Creek (also Big Monegan)
Description:A tributary of the Osage River; named for the Indian chief of the Osage Indians. Mentioned by Coues. Also Big Monegan. (Jim Penn; Coues "Expedition of Pike" (1895), n.p. 385; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Birdsong Post Office
Description:In the center part of Washington Township; named for W.S. Birdsong, who owned the farm adjoining the office. Mr. Birdsong, a Missionary Baptist minister, was born in 1859 in Moniteau County, Missouri. He came to St. Clair County, Missouri in 1869. He now lives at Weaubleau, Missouri. (W.S. Birdsong; R.P. Johnson; Lee Crook; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1910-1929)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Black Jack
Description:(also Sample) This name is given to Sample Post Office (q.v.) by the settlers for its location in the black jack timber. (Lee Crook)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Black Jack School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blakely's Mill
Description:(earlier Boots Mill; later Iuka Springs) This name which replaced Bott's Mill (q.v.) was adopted after the Civil War, when Mr. Blakely purchased the mill from Mr. Boot and operated it. Later renamed Iuka Springs (q.v.). (A.W. Allinson)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blue Mound School
Description:See Mound
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blue Ridge School
Description:A name of situation or landscape.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boot's Mill
Description:(later Blakely's Mill, then Iuka Springs) The earliest name of a town in the northwestern part of Osage Township; named for Martin S. Boot, native of Virginia, who came to St. Clair County in 1853. Later renamed Blakely's Mill (q.v.). (Jim Penn; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 871)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bowling Green School
Description:A borrowed name from another state (Kentucky).
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bradford School
Description:Named for a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Browns Mill
Description:A water mill on Clear Creek west of Tiffin two miles, built about 1850. Named for an early settler, who operated the mill. (Jim Corbin; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 871)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:A tributary of Sac River in the southern part of the county; named for the brush that grew along the banks of the creek. (E.M. Terry; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buckeye Creek
Description:(later Wrights Creek) Chartered by Pike in St. Clair County. The earliest name of a stream which is a tributary of the Osage River; named for the buckeye which grew along the banks of the stream. Later renamed Wrights Creek (q.v.). (R.P. Johnson; Coues "Expedition of Pike" (1895), II, n. 381)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Burgess School
Description:Named for Mr. Benton Burgess, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Burns School
Description:Named for Mr. John Burns, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Butler Township
Description:In the northeastern part of the county; organized in 1868; doubtless named for Hon. William Orlando Butler (1791-1880), general in the Mexican War, member of Congress (1839-43), and Democratic candidate for Vice President in 1848. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1034)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cal Waldo Bend
Description:(later Harris Bend) A fork in the Sac River; named for Calvin Waldo, who settled on the Sac River in Osceola Township about 1838. He died in 1858. Later renamed Harris Bend (q.v.). (Jim Harris; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 832)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Catherine Post Office
Description:In the southwestern part of Polk Township; established in the store of Mr. Vigus Bridges; named by postal authorities for a daughter of one of the postal officials. (J.W. Atteburg; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1891- 1904)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Centennial School
Description:See Howell
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Center School
Description:Named for its direction and location.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Center Township
Description:In the center part of the county; organized about 1890. Named for its location near the center of the county. (R.P. Johnson; A.W. Allinson; Map 1930)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chalk Level
Description:A village started in 1866 in the northern part of Center Township. The county history says it was so named because the people were "pretty level headed" and they could "chalk" it down. The explantion seems doubtful. Citizens say it was named for the white chalky soil, and for its level location. Another doubtful story related was that there was a carpenter, who had a spirit-level and he spent much time chalking and leveling everything he built. The citizens began to speak of the place as Chalk Level. (H.A. Higgins; Price Humphrey; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1023, 1027)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chalk Level School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chalk Level Township
Description:In the north-central part of the county; organized November 4, 1869 and named for the town. (H.A. Higgins; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1023)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chloe Post Office
Description:In the northwestern corner of Butler Township; named for Miss Chloe Phillips (1892- ) daughter of Dr. Phillips in whose store the office was established. Miss Phillips was born at Garland, Missouri. She lived at Chloe. (T.G. Bernard; Mrs. C.C. Phillips; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1900-1932)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clay Post Office
Description:(Hayward's U.S. Gazetteer 1853)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Climax School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cobb
Description:(earlier Ritchie Mill; then Howard's Mill) This name which rerplaced Howard's Mill (q.v.) was given by Mr. Bob Evans, who was hunting a short and unusual name, for a large pile of corn cobs left from where he had been feeding stock all winter. (B.H. Bratcher; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1890- 1915)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cole School
Description:In Roscoe Township. Named for a man who owned a farm where the school was built. Later, when the school was moved, it was renamed River View School, for its new location near the river. (Lee Crook; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Collins
Description:A town in the center part of Collins Township laid out in 1885 on land granted by George Nettleton and William Robinson. Named for the township. (Lee Crook; Plat Bk. St. Clair, 53; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1886-1932)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Collins School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Collins Township
Description:In the southeast part of the county; organized in 1872, and named in honor of Judge William Collins (1856- ) who was a judge of the county court. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1050)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Concord School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coon Creek Baptist Church
Description:On Allen's Prairie (q.v.) in Collins Township; organized in 1842. Named for its location near Coon Creek. Moved to Collins about 1885. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1052)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coon Creek Settlement
Description:A settlement on Coon Creek made in 1838, in the western part of the county; named for the creek. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 832)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Copeland Post Office
Description:In the northern part of Monegaw Township. Named for Jim Copeland who ran the store where the post office was established. Mr. Copeland settled here from Virginia shortly after the Civil War. (R.P. Johnson; A.A. Johnson; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1888-1904)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Copperas Springs
Description:In Monegaw Township south of the present site of Johnson City; named because it contained sulphate of iron. (S.A. Humphreys; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 868)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Corbin Post Office
Description:In the northern part of Polk Township; established by Jim Corbin (1863- ) for whom it was named. Mr. Corbin now lives in Osceola. (Jim Corbin; John Attebury; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1902-1932)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crook's Springs
Description:A resort established in Roscoe Township in 1929 by Mr. Lee Crook (1869- ), for whom it was named. Mr. Crook came to St. Clair County from Iowa in 1876. He is now living in Osceola. (Lee Crook)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cross Roads
Description:(later Damascus) The earliest name of a store in Butler Township started about 1890; named for its location at cross roads. Later when the post office was established it was renamed Damascus (q.v.). (Bill Walker)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cross Roads School
Description:See Fraley
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crow and Crutchfield
Description:(later Osceola) A store at a crossing of the Osage River, erected in 1836, and named for Phillip Croaw and Richard P. Crutchfield. Later renamed Osceola (q.v.) upon erection of other buildings. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 982)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dallas Township
Description:In the southeastern corner of the county; organized in 1872, possibly named for G.M. Dallas (1792-1864) who was Vice President in 1844. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1045)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Damascus Post Office
Description:(earlier Cross Roads) This name which replaced Cross Roads (q.v.) is a familiar Bible name, once the capital of Syria. (cf. 1 Ki. 19.15; 2 Ki. 16.9, 10). (H.A. Higgins; Postal Guide 1896-1904)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dan Waldo Bend
Description:A settlement on Sac River in Roscoe Township, named for Dan Waldo, who came to this county among the first settlers. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 832)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Davison Bend
Description:On the Osage River in Jackson Township; named for a man who settled in the bend of the river in an early day. (Ben Zener; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1039)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Decherd
Description:(earlier Vista; later Vista) This name which replaces Vista (q.v.) for a short time was given for Mr. Hugh Decherd, who was postmaster at the time at Osceola. Mr. Decherd was born on December 18, 1856 near Waco, Texas. He moved to Fayetteville, Arkansas in 1867. From there he moved to St. Clair County in 1874. He was sheriff of St. Clair County from 1896-1900. He is still living four miles north of Osceola. Mr. Dawson was furious at the change of the name, so in 1891 it was changed back to Vista (q.v.). (Hugh Decherd (letter); Postal Guide 1888-1889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Denney School
Description:Named for Mr. Henry Denney, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dewey School
Description:See Hyatt.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dillon School
Description:Named for Mr. John Dillon, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dito Post Office
Description:(earlier Spring City) This name, which replaced Spring City (q.v.) was adopted about 1886, when the name Spring City was rejected by postal authorities because there was already another office by that name. The name Ditto was then selected, meaning "the same" (as Spring City). Through some error, however, the spelling Dito has prevailed. (Judge W.I. Bunch (letter); R.W. Ginsburg (letter); Postal Guide 1886)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dollie
Description:At the mouth of Monegaw River. Mentioned by Coues. Doubtless Coues means Dottie (q.v.). (Coues "Expedition of Pike" (1895), note, p. 385)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Donia Post Office
Description:In the western part of Speedwell Township; named for Caledonia Bunnell Dade (1857- ), whose husband owned the land where the office was established in Mr. Will Markam's store. Mrs. Dade came to St. Clair County, Missouri from Randolph County, Missouri in 1871. She is now living in Eldorado Springs, Missouri. (Mrs. T.E. Dade; Mrs. Lang Dade; Postal Guide 1897- 1904)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dottie Post Office
Description:In Osage Township west of Monegaw Springs; named by Mr. Huston, who was postmaster at Roscoe, for his daughter. Discontinued and moved to Monegaw City. (Jno. S. Pence (letter); Postal Guide 1888-1901)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Doyal Township
Description:In the southeastern part of the county; organized in 1872. Named for H.L.M. Doyal. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1052)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Doyleston Post Office
Description:On the Bolivar road, seven miles south of Osceola; established in 1870 with H.L.M. Doyal as postmaster. The spelling was obviously changed to the more usual form of the name. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1053)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dunkard School
Description:Named for a group of local inhabitants.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dwight Post Office
Description:An office established by Joe Payne two miles east of Bear Creek School in Polk Township. Named for a large Dwight Soda sign that was near the store. (Geo. W. Davies; Postal Guide 1904)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ebb Post Office
Description:In the southwestern part of Roscoe Township; named for Ebenezer Vaughn, son of Reverend Vaughn, who lived near the office. (Mollie Smith; Lee Crook; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1904-1910)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elm Grove School
Description:Named from flora.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:English Settlement
Description:On the Big Monegaw in the southern part of Appleton Township; settled about 1839; doubtless named to distinguish from the Indians. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1002)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Forest Grove School
Description:In Speedwell Township. This is the official name of the school, given because of its location in a grove. It also has the nickname of Greasy Corner School, because it is at a cross roads in the clay where in muddy times it is very slippery. (Ben Zener; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fraley School
Description:In Dallas Township. Named for a man who owned the land where the school was built. Later, when moved off the Fraley farm to a cross roads site, it was renamed Cross Roads School. (S.J. Hutton; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Francis School
Description:In Appleton Township. Named for the wife of the County Superintendent, who helped to get the school for the district. Why the masculine form of the name was adopted is unexplained. (Rodd Ingles; Supt's Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Freeman School
Description:In Roscoe Township. Named for Ansel Freeman, who owned the land where the school was built before the Civil War. When the school was rebuilt, it was renamed Green Valley School, for its location. (Lee Crook; Supt's Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gardner's Mill
Description:On Weaubleau Creek in Polk Township; erected in 1845 by James Gardner, who settled here from Tennessee in 1842. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 957, 1192)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gardner's Mills Post Office
Description:In Polk Township; named for Gardner's Mill. (Jim Penn; Hayward's U.S. Gazetteer (1853) )
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:German Center School
Description:In Butler Township. Named for the large number of Germans in the community. After the World War because of anti-German feeling the name was changed to Valley Center School, for its location. (Jim Penn; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gerster
Description:A town in the center part of Dallas Township, laid out in 1898 on land granted by George Gerster (1864- ), S.W. Gerster (1854- ), and Adam Gerster (1861- ), for whom it was named. They came from Hickory County, Missouri to St. Clair County in 1896. Mr. George Gerster now lives in Clinton, Missouri. Mr. S.W. Gerster now lives at Harwood, Missouri. (S.J. Hutton; S.W. Gerster; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1900-1932; Plat Bk. St. Clair, 79)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gerster School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Glendale School
Description:See Sweet.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Graham School
Description:Named for a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grandview School
Description:See Ledbetter
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grapevine Post Office
Description:In Center Township near Ohio Post Office; named for Hugh Johnson, who was called Grapevine Johnson by the settlers, because of the large vineyard he owned. (S.J. Hutton; Postal Guide 1892- 1893)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Greasy Corner School
Description:See Forest Grove
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Green Valley School
Description:See Freeman
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Greenwood School
Description:See Shryer
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Griesel Post Office
Description:An office in Washington Township, named for John A. Griesel (1860- ), who was postmaster at the time the office was established. He is now living at Golden City, Missouri. (Lee Crook; J.W. Minx; Postal Guide 1894-1904)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harlan Junction
Description:In the northern part of Doyal Township; named for the maiden name of Mrs. E.W. Tracy, whose husband was station agent at Vista. (B.H. Bratcher; Map 1930)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harper Post Office
Description:In the northeastern part of Polk Township; named for H.G. Harper (1822- ), an early settler who applied for the post office. He came here from Tennessee in 1842. (M.H. Harper; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1892-1915; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1161)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harper School
Description:Named for Mr. Green Harper, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harris Bend
Description:(earlier Cal Waldo Bend) This name which replaced Cal Waldo Bend (q.v.) was adopted when W.J. Harris moved in the bend from Virginia in 1870. (Jim Harris)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harris School
Description:A transferred name from a bend.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harvard School
Description:See Lizard Lick
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Heath's Ferry
Description:(earlier Taber's Ferry) This name which replaced Taber's Ferry (q.v.) was given when Milton Heath took over the ferry and operated it. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1073)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:High Hill Church
Description:In Butler Township, southeast of Lowry City, built about 1890 by the Baptists. Named for its location on a high hill. (Jim Penn)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:High Hill School
Description:A name of situation or landscape.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hill's Mill
Description:A horse mill erected in 1837, operated by Wright Hill, doubtless for whom it was named. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1061)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hillsdale School
Description:A name of situation or landscape.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hoffman Bend
Description:(also spelled Huffman) Near Roscoe, and named for David Hoffman, who came from Virginia in 1836. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 833)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hoffman's Ferry
Description:A ferry across the Osage River operated by David Hoffman in 1839, (see above) for whom it was named. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 833)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hogle's Creek Post Office
Description:In Jackson Township; named for the creek near which it was located. (R.P. Johnson; Hayward's U.S. Gazetteer, 1853)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hoover School
Description:Named for Mr. Jim Hoover, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Horseshoe Bend
Description:In the southern corner of Jackson Township; named for its shape. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1039)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Howard's Mill
Description:(earlier Ritchie Mill; later Cobb) This name which replaced Ritchie Mill was adopted during the Civil War for John Howard, who took over the mill. Mr. Howard came to St. Clair County in 1837 from Kentucky. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1890 and the office was renamed Cobb (q.v.). (W.L. Cox; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1061; Postal Guide 1867-1886)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Howell School
Description:In Appleton Township. Named for James Howell, who lived nearby. When a new building was erected in 1876, the name was changed to Centennial School, obviously in allusion to the hundredth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. (Ed. Willems; D.S. Pricer; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hyatt School
Description:In Speedwell Township. Named for Clay Hyatt, who owned the land where the school was built. Later, when the school district had a quarrel with Mr. Hyatt, the name was changed to Dewey School, in honor of Admiral George Dewey (1837-1917), victor at Manila Bay. (Ben Zener; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Iconium
Description:In the southeastern part of Jackson Township; established in 1879 on land granted by Levi Gover. A Bible name, one of St. Paul's first churches in Asia Minor (Acts 13.51). (Mrs. Mollie Crabtree; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1040)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Iconium School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Iuka Springs
Description:(earlier Boot's Mill; then Blakely's Mill) This name which replaced Blakely's Mill (q.v.) was given by Dr. J.W. Wheeler, who had established a drug store there prior to the laying out of the town, which was laid out on land granted by Dr. Wheeler and John A. Galbreath in July 1887. Dr. Wheeler is said to have named it for an Indian. (A.W. Allinson; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1899-1902; Plat Bk. St. Clair, p. 63)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jackson School
Description:Named for a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:In the northeastern corner of the county; organized in 1841; named for Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), President of the United States in 1829. (Jim Penn; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1037)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jenken's Bridge Post Office
Description:(Hayward's U.S. Gazetteer (1853) )
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johnson City
Description:A town in Monegaw Township laid out on land given by James E. Patterson and William Hodgson on February 23, 1867. Named for Andrew Johnson (1808-1875), then President of the United States. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1021; Plat Bk. St. Clair, p. 6)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johnson City School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kelley School
Description:Named for a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kidd's Chapel
Description:A church in Chalk Level Township, built by the Methodists in 1883, and named for D.B. Kidd, who owned a large amount of land. (H.A. Higgins)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:King Prairie
Description:In Dallas Township, and named for the Kings, who came to St. Clair County in 1834 or 1835, and owned some 400 acres of prairie land. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1048)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kings Prairie School
Description:A transferred name from a prairie.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lake Sac-Osage
Description:At Osceola; an artificial lake constructed in 1929. Named for the Sac and Osage Rivers. (Mrs. L.L. Urich)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Landaker School
Description:Named for a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ledbetter School
Description:In Chalk Level Township. Named for Rufus Ledbetter, who owned the land where the school was built. When the school was rebuilt, it was renamed Grandview School, for its location. (H.A. Higgins; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lewellen School
Description:Named for John Lewell, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lewis School
Description:Named for Dr. Lawrence Lewis, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty Church
Description:A Baptist Church in Jackson Township, northeast of Iconium; organized in 1890 in the Liberty School House for which it is named. (Lee Crabtree (letter) )
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lindale
Description:(earlier Marge) This name which replaced Marge (q.v.) was given by the M.K. & T. Railroad May 1920, when a telegraph office was installed at the terminal. The source is unknown. (Mrs. A.B. Hilton; "Name Changed on M.K. & T. Railroad," Appleton City Journal, 1920, p. 1; Hammond's Atlas 1931)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Brush Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in the north-central part of Osceola Township; named for the brush that grew along the bank, and because it is a small stream. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 976)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Coon Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in the western part of the county; named for the raccoons in the vicinity and because it is a small stream. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Jewel School
Description:In Appleton Township. A very old school, and no one remembers the exact circumstances of its naming. The name is emblematic, probaby conferred because the first school building was very small. (H.E. Kirk; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Monegaw
Description:(also Monegan or Monegau; earlier Mine River) This name which replaced Mine River (q.v.) was given for Monegaw Springs and because it is a smaller stream than the neighboring creek. Also spelled Monegan or Monegaw. Mentioned by Coues. (Jim Penn; Coues' "Expedition of Pike" (1895), Aug. 16, 1806, p. 383, also note, p. 384; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lizard Lick School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for the great number of lizards in that section. Later the people came to feel that the name was undignified and changed it to Harvard School, in order to have a name with lofty educational associations. (J.P. Perry; Lee Crook; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Locust Grove School
Description:Named from flora.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Ridge Church
Description:Organized in 1869 in Dallas Township; named for its location on a long ridge. (E.M. Terry; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1048)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Ridge School
Description:See Stiles
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Looney's Springs
Description:(later Salt Creek Springs; then Magneola Springs) The first name given to a white sulphur spring three miles east of Monegaw Springs, later renamed Salt Creek Springs (q.v.). The first name was given for the owner of these springs, John C. Looney. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 957, 1024)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lowry City
Description:In the western part of Butler Township, laid out in March 1871 when a railroad between Clinton and Osceola was begun; named by John Hancock in honor of a wealthy resident of Evansville, Indiana, for whom he had formerly clerked. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1034)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lowry City Junction
Description:A junction built in 1885 on the Gulf and Frisco Railroad. Named for the town. Discontinued about 1930. (Jim Penn; Hammond's Atlas 1931)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lowry City School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Magneola Springs
Description:(earlier Looney's Springs; then Salt Creek Springs) This name, which replaced Salt Creek Springs (q.v.), was coined by Mrs. C.A. Mitchell in 1911. Mrs. Mitchell says she understood the word to have a Latin signification of "great well." (Mrs. C.A. Mitchell; Plat Bk. St. Clair, 115)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Manoa
Description:(later Taberville) The earliest name of a village laid out in 1859; surveyed and platted by Robert H. Sproull on land belonging to Dr. Taber on the northern bank of the Osage River in Taber Township. Later renamed Taberville (q.v.). Said to be an Indian name. (R.P. Johnson; C.G. Haynes)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marge
Description:(later Lindale) The earliest name of a terminal on the M.K. & T. Railroad three miles southwest of Appleton City, built about 1915. Later renamed Lindale (q.v.). The earliest name was given either for Marge Duncan, whose father owned the land where the terminal was built; or for Marge Donnahue, who was admired by some of the railroad officials. (Mrs. A.B. Hilton; George Burns; "Name Changed on M.K. & T. Railroad," Appleton City Journal, May 1920, p. 1)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McNutt School
Description:Named for Mr. Jake McNutt, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Merryfield School
Description:Named for Mr. Elson Merryfield, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mine River
Description:(on Pike's Map, Mire Creek; later Little Monegan or Monegau or Monegaw) The earliest name, perhaps an error, of a tributary of the Osage River, found in Pike's Journal. On Pike's Map it appears as Mire Creek. Coues identifies it as Little Monegan or Monegau or Monegaw (q.v.). (Coues' "Expedition of Pike" (1895), August 16, 1806, p. 383; also note, p. 384)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monagan Post Office
Description:On a hill near the present Monegaw City. Named by Mr. Alton for the springs. Moved to Monegaw City. (Mrs. S.A. Humphreys; Hayward's U.S. Gazetteer 1853; Postal Guide 1867)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monegaw Cave
Description:Situated about a half mile from Monegaw Springs in Chalk Level Township; named for the springs. (Mrs. S.A. Humphreys; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1030)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monegaw City
Description:In the center part of the county, started by Mr. Houck before 1856. Named for the springs. (Mrs. S.A. Humphreys; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1030)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monegaw Mills
Description:On Reids Creek; erected in 1857. Disappeared during the war. Named for location near Monegaw Springs. (Mrs. S.A. Humphreys; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1021)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monegaw School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monegaw Springs
Description:(earlier Stinking Waters) This name which replaced "Stinking Waters" (q.v.) was given in honor of a famous Indian chief who was for many years the moving spirit of the Osage tribe of Indians. Monegaw means "owner of much money." There is a tradition that the Spaniards had mined a great quantity of silver ore and had hidden it in a cave and departed. On their return for the money, they were attacked by Indians and all were slain but one, who was fatally wounded. As he was dying he told the chief of the hiding place of the money in reward for his kindness to him. The chief located the silver and purchased horses and other valuables, and also bartered for a wife. Because of his wealth, he was named Monegaw by the Indians. Doubtless the story refers to the incident mentioned in Houck's HISTORY OF MISSOURI (see below). (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1027; Houck's HISTORY OF MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 250-253; Graham's Tales of Osage Country (1929), 25)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monegaw Township
Description:In the northern part of the county; organized in 1841. Named for the spring. (Mrs. S.A. Humphreys; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1019)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Moore School
Description:Named for Mr. W.E. Moore, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Motley School
Description:Named for Mr. J.D. Motley, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Motley School
Description:Named for Mr. Pink Motley, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mound School
Description:In Taber Township. Named for its location on a mound. Later the name was changed to Blue Mound School by Walter Woodin, a teacher at the school, probably because of the blue appearance of the mound when viewed from a distance. (Ed Willems; Supt's. Schools)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Taber Christian Church
Description:Organized in 1882 in Taber Township. A Bible name; site of Borak's victory over Sisera (Judges 4.6). The Bible name is spelled Tabor, however; perhaps the Missouri spelling was influenced by that of the prominent local family, Taber (cf. Taberville and Taber Township). (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1074)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Olive School
Description:A biblical name.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Victory School
Description:In Collins Township. Named by Mr. Wiegand because it is on a hill, and because of the victory that had been won over its location. (Mrs. W.E. Tucker; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Muddy Creek
Description:A tributary of Osage River in the northern part of the county; named because its course is so muddy. Mentioned by Coues. (Jim Penn; Coues' "Expedition of Pike" (1895), note, p. 386; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Tiffin
Description:(earlier Old Tiffin; also Whitley) The post office at Old Tiffin (q.v.) was moved to Whitley (q.v.) in 1891, when application was made by the people of Whitley for a post office, and they were refused because there was an office two miles away. They then got the post office at Tiffin moved to the site of Whitley. (Ben Zener)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Northville Post Office
Description:(Goodwin's Gazetteer 1867)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:Named from flora.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Ridge School
Description:See Tillery
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ohio Post Office
Description:Established in 1878 one and a half miles west of its present location in Monegaw Township; named by settlers from Ohio, who settled here about 1870. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1023)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ohio School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Old Tiffin
Description:(later New Tiffin; also Pape) The earliest name of a town in Speedwell Township two miles northwest of New Tiffin (q.v.); surveyed and platted in April 1878 by Ralph C. Bowles. The name was given, however, to the settlement during the Civil War by the settlers from Ohio for Tiffin, Ohio. Later the post office at Tiffin was moved two miles south to Whitley (q.v.). Later at Old Tiffin a post office called Pape (q.v.) was established. (Ben Zener; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1070)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Orion Post Office
Description:In Monegaw Township; started in May 1871. Passed out of existence when Ohio Post Office was established in 1878. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1022)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osage School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osage Township
Description:In the western part of the county; organized about 1890 out of Monegaw and Taber Townships. Named for the stream. (R.P. Johnson; A.W. Allinson; Map 1930)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osceola
Description:(earlier "Crossing of the Osage at Crow and Crutchfield") This name which replaced "Crossing of the Osage at Crow and Crutchfield" (q.v.) was given in honor of the celebrated Indian chief of that name shortly after 1836. Mentioned by Coues. The town was laid out in 1839. (Plat Book St. Clair, p. 8; Coues' "Expedition of Pike" (1895), note p. 382; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 982)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osceola School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osceola Township
Description:In the eastern part of the county; organized in 1841. Named for the town. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 976)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oyer
Description:In the center part of Roscoe Township; named for William Oyer, who owned a store there and was postmaster. (R.P. Johnson; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1886-1932)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pape
Description:(also Old Tiffin) A post office located on the site of Old Tiffin (q.v.). The community was established, according to the county history, July 1876, but the post office, according to the Postal Guide in 1892, was named for Gideon Pape (see Pape's Mill). The office was discontinued in 1904. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1070; Postal Guide 1892-1904)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pape's Mill
Description:In the northeast part of Speedwell Township; and named for Gideon Pape, who owned the land and erected the mill about 1876. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1070)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Park Grove School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Park's Grove Post Office
Description:A town and office in Butler Township laid out in 1870 on land granted by Jim Parks, for whom it was named. (T.G. Bernard; Plat Bk. St. Clair, p. 11; Postal Guide 1870)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Parks School
Description:Named for Mr. Solomon Parks, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Grove Baptist Church
Description:On the western border of Roscoe Township; named for its location in a grove of trees. (Zack Croy; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1062)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:A name of approbation.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Hill Church
Description:In Doyal Township; organized in 1852; named by the members for its pleasant location on a hill. (Lee Crook; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1055)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A name of approbation.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Site Post Office
Description:Obviously a descriptive name. (Goodwin's Gazetteer 1867)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Spring Baptist Church
Description:Organized in 1847 three miles west of Roscoe village; named for its location near a small spring. (J.E. Crook; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1065)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Springs
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:A name of approbation.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant View School
Description:A name of approbation.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Polk Township
Description:In the eastern part of the county; organized in 1841. Named for James Knox Polk (1795-1849), President in 1845. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1044)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Potts School
Description:Named for a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Praire Home School
Description:A name of situation or landscape.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Grove Baptist Church
Description:In the southeast part of Jackson Township; organized in April 1869. Named for its location on the prairie in a little grove of timber. (Jim Harris; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1040)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Hill School
Description:A name of situation or landscape.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie School
Description:A name of situation or landscape.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rainey Post Office
Description:In the southwest part of Doyal Township; named for H.G. Rainey (1834-1915) who owned the land where the store and office were established. Mr. Rainey, a native of Kentucky, came to St. Clair County from Indiana in 1879. (R.P. Johnson; David Rainey; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1894-1904)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rainey School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Red Rock School
Description:Named from minerals and soil.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Reid's Creek
Description:In Monegaw Township. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1021)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rich Valley School
Description:A name of situation or landscape.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rickey Creek
Description:A tributary of Monegaw; named for a family, who settled on the banks of the stream in an early day. (Ed. Williams)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ritchie Mill
Description:(later Howard's Mill; then Cobb Post Office) The earliest name of a mill on Sac River, about ten miles southwest of Osceola, erected in 1841 by William F. Ritchie, of Kentucky, for whom it was named. Later renamed Howard's Mill (q.v.). (W.L. Cox; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 956)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:River View School
Description:See Cole.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock House
Description:A cave in the bluffs which overlooks the Osage River at what is called "Whitley's Bend;" named because it has large rooms in it like a house. (Ray Evans; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1069)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rocky Point School
Description:Named from minerals and soil.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rookins Post Office
Description:In the southern part of Washington Township; named for Richard Rookins Moore (1825- 1920), early judge of the county court, who ran a store there and was the first postmaster. Mr. Moore came to St. Clair County from Kentucky in 1845. (R.P. Johnson; Lee Crook; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1887-1918; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1197)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roscoe
Description:(earlier "Want-a-More") This name which replaced "Want-a-More" (q.v.) was given by Squire Ray after the Civil War, when the town was carried to the bluff and when the post office was established. Incorporated in 1868. (C.G. Haynes; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1063)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roscoe Congregation of Disciples of Christ
Description:Near Roscoe; organized in 1871; named for the town. (Ben Zener; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1062)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roscoe School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roscoe Township
Description:In the southern part of the county; organized in 1870. Named for the town. (Ben Zener; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1060)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rose Post Office
Description:A town and office in Doyal Township, laid out August 11, 1885 on land granted by Wm. F. Thompson; named for the wild roses that grew on the town site. (Wm. Truitt; Plat Bk. St. Clair, p. 51; Postal Guide 1887-1889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ruark School
Description:Named for a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sac River
Description:There is a well-grounded tradition that during the 1820s the Sac Indians held some pow-wows at the big spring where Stockton now stands and that the earliest pioneers named the stream for them. We find also that the Sac Indians lived in the western part of Hickory County about fifteen miles from Stockton. (H.H. Howard; Missouri (16), p. 214)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Salt Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in the northern part of the county, named for the salt put along the banks of the stream for salting the cattle that came to this creek to drink. (H.A. Higgins; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt Creek Spring
Description:(earlier Looney Springs; later Magnolia Springs) This name, which replaced Looney Springs (q.v.), was given for the creek. Later renamed Magnolia (q.v.). (H.A. Higgins; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1024)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sample Post Office
Description:(also Black Jack) The name of an office, also called Black Jack (q.v.), in the center part of Washington Township. Named for Ben Sample, who owned a store there. (Lee Crook; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1910)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shady Grove School
Description:See Thomas
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shady Nook School
Description:A name of situation or landscape.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shoe School
Description:Named for Mr. Christopher Shoe, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Short School
Description:Named for Mr. Hiram Short, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shryer School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for the man who owned the land where the school was built. About thirty years ago, the name was changed to Greenwood School, doubtless for the location. (Lee Crook; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sims' Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in the western part of the county; named for an early settler. (A.B. Zener; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Small Post Office
Description:In Butler Township; established at the home of Billy Small, for whom it was named. Mr. Small was an early settler before the Civil War. (Jim Penn; Postal Guide 1886)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smith School
Description:A transferred name from a bend.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Snyder Mill
Description:On Muddy Creek in Butler Township; established before the Civil War by Pierson Snyder, for whom it was named. Mr. Snyder settled here from Ohio before the Civil War, and was killed during the war. The mill became extinct shortly after the Civil War. (Jim Penn; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 871)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Snyder School
Description:Named for Ben Snyder, a local figure.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sonta Post Office
Description:(Postal Guide 1886)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Speedwell Township
Description:In the southwestern corner of the county; organized in 1841; named for one of the surveyors, who helped to survey the township. (A.B. Zener; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1066)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spring City
Description:(later Dito) The earliest name of an office established by Chillian Loveless about 1870. The original name was given for its location near a spring. Discontinued when Mr. Loveless died. Later, when reestablished at the home of Abner Parks, renamed Dito (q.v.). (Judge W.I. Bunch (letter)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spring Grove School
Description:Named from flora.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Square Prairie
Description:In Polk Township; named for its shape. (R.P. Johnson)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Square Prairie School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. Clair County
Description:In the southwest part of the state, bounded on the north by Henry County, on the east by Benton and Hickory Counties, on the west by Bates and Vernon Counties, and on the south by Cedar and Polk Counties. Organized February 15, 1841, and named in honor of General Arthur St. Clair (1734-1818), who was of revolutionary fame. He served under Wolfe at "Quebec and was the first Governor of the Northwest Territory in 1791. In 1845, the boundary line of St. Clair County was changed to the present boundary. The territory now included in St. Clair County was attached to Rives County, now Henry County, for civil and military purposes on February 11, 1835. On May 5, 1835, the whole of St. Clair County was made a township of Rives County under the name of St. Clair Township. On November 4, 1835 Rives County Court made a change, giving St. Clair two townships naming them Weaubleau and Monegaw. In 1840, a petition was drawn up for the organization of St. Clair County into an independent municipality. (Conard's Encyclopedia of Missouri (1901), V, 424; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 836, 853, 855, 856; International Encyclopedia (1926), XX, 336)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stiles School
Description:In Doyal Township. Named for Riley Stiles, who came to St. Clair County from Kentucky, and who gave the land. Later renamed Long Ridge School, for its location. (E.M. Terry; S.J. Hutton; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1049; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stinking Waters
Description:(later Monegaw Springs) This name was first given to the springs in the southwestern part of Chalk Level Township by the French trappers, who passed through the county. Later renamed Monegaw Springs (q.v.). The first name was given because the spring is a sulphur spring. (Mrs. S.A. Humphreys; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1029)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stony Point School
Description:Named from minerals and soil.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Story Post Office
Description:In the southern part of Roscoe Township; named for Edward Story (1857-1932), who was postmaster at the time the office was established. Mr. Story was born at Taberville, Missouri. (Mrs. Maggie Story; Lee Crook; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1910)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sweet School
Description:In Speedwell Township. Named for Squire Sweet, pioneer settler, who lived nearby. About 1930 it was renamed Glendale School, for its location. (Lee Crook; Ben Zener; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Taber Township
Description:In the western part of the county, organized in 1870; named for the town. (Henry Allison; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1072)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Taber's Ferry
Description:(later Heath's Ferry) The earliest name given to a ferry operated by Dr. Taber in 1858, for whom it was named. Later renamed Heath's Ferry (q.v.). (Henry Allison; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1070)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Taberville
Description:(earlier Manoa) This name which replaced Manoa (q.v.) was given for Dr. Taber, who gave the land. (Ben Zener; Henry Allison; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1073)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Taberville Mill
Description:Erected in Taberville, but removed to Appleton City; named for the town. (A.A. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 957)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Taberville School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tally's Bend
Description:On the Osage River in Jackson Township, and named for James and John Tally, who settled in the bend in 1837. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 957, 1040)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tally's Mill
Description:Erected in 1869 in Jackson Township; named for a family who settled here after the Civil War. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 957)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Terry Post Office
Description:In the northeastern part of Dallas Township; named for Thomas Terry, who was the first postmaster. Mr. Terry came to Virginia from St. Clair County in 1843. He died in 1910. (E.M. Terry; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1891-1910)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thomas School
Description:In Roscoe Township; built before the Civil War. Named for a man who lived nearby. Later, when redistricted, it was renamed Shady Grove School, for its location. (Lee Crook; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tillery School
Description:In Collins Township. Named for William Tillery, who gave the land. When the school was moved it was renamed Oak Ridge School, for its new location. (Mrs. C.L. Landaker; Supt's. Records)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tower Grove School
Description:Named from flora.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tracy Junction
Description:In the center part of Doyal Township; named for E.W. Tracy, who was station agent at Vista. (R.P. Johnson; Map 1930)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in the southern part of the county; named for the wild turkeys found along this creek. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Church
Description:In Doyal Township; built before the Civil War and named because all denominations met there. The church is no longer there. (J.P. Perry)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Point School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Upper Monegaw School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Valhalla Post Office
Description:In the northwest part of Jackson Township on land given by Dr. John Wright, who selected the name from the old Norse val hall, i.e. "hall of the slain," the name given by the heathen Scandinavians to the abode in which the god Odin received the souls of those who had fallen in battle. There they are represented as spending their time in constant fighting and feasting in his service. (Dr. Leo S. Wright; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1902-1932)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Valley Center School
Description:See German Center.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vine Hill School
Description:Named from flora.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Virginia School
Description:A borrowed name from another state (Virginia).
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vista Post Office
Description:(later Decherd) The earliest name of a town in the northern part of Doyal Township laid out in 1885 on land granted by John Dawson and George Nettleton. Named for Mr. Dawson's daughter. Mr. Dawson settled here from Kentucky. When the post office was established it was renamed Decherd (q.v.), but later the name Vista was resumed. (Hugh Decherd (letter); R.P. Johnson; C.Y. Wilson; Plat Bk. St. Clair, p. 54; Map 1930; Postal Guide 1891-1932)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vista School
Description:A transferred name from a town or post office.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wagner's Mill
Description:Erected in 1867; named for an early settler, who built the mill. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 957)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Want-a-More
Description:(later Roscoe) The earliest name of a town in the north-central portion of Roscoe Township; located originally on the Osage River near the ferry before the Civil War; given by Captain Burgess and Mr. Manning because they wanted more people and more of a town. Later renamed Roscoe (q.v.). (C.G. Haynes)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Washington School
Description:A personal name from the national figure George Washington.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Washington Township
Description:In the south-central part of the county; organized in 1841, and named for the "father of our country," George Washington (1732-1799). (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1050)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Westfield Presbyterian Church
Description:Organized in 1873 in Monegaw Township; named for its location in the western field of the old Nesbitt farm. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1022)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Hall School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Whitley
Description:(later New Tiffin) A town in the eastern part of Speedwell Township laid out in November of 1890 on land granted by B.F. Burch. Named for John Whitley. Later renamed New Tiffin (q.v.). (Ray Evans; Plat Bk. St. Clair, p. 69)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Whitley Bend
Description:On the Osage River in Speedwell Township; named for John R. Whitley who settled here from Virginia in 1840. (Ray Evans; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 868, 1068)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wisdom Post Office
Description:In Jackson Township near Baker, established about 1880; named for a man, who was postmaster. In existence for only a short time. (W.L. Cox; E.M. Terry)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wolfe's Mill
Description:In the southern part of Dallas Township; built in 1844 by R. Eads and Francis Yoast, who sold it to John J.C. Wolfe for whom it was named. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1047)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wright's Creek
Description:(earlier Buckeye Creek) This name, which replaced Buckeye Creek (q.v.), was given for William P. Wright, who settled on the banks of the stream in an early day. (H.A. Higgins; Coues' "Expedition of Pike" (1895), II, note, 381)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wright's Creek Baptist Church
Description:In the northwestern part of Jackson Township; organized in February 1866 by the Rev. William P. Wright, and Rev. C.V. Maddox. Named for its location near Wright Creek. (HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1041)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wright's Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wyatt's Grove
Description:In the eastern part of Roscoe Township; named for a family, who lived near the grove, and who settled here before the Civil War. (Zack Croy; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 857)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Zener's Mill
Description:A mill near where New Tiffin is now located; established in 1887 or 1888 by David G. Zener (1836-1907), for whom it was named. Mr. Zener came here from Indiana in 1879. The mill is no longer in existence. (Ben Zener)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names