Reynolds County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:A la mode
Description:Cf. above
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Adair Creek
Description:A stream in the southwestern part of Carroll and northern part of Jackson Townships; a western branch of Logan Creek. It was named for Judge Adair, a prominent citizen of the county. (Highway Map, R.L. Parks, CENTERVILLE REFORMER (1904- 1907)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Adams Hollow
Description:A valley in the southern part of Lesterville Township, leading into West Fork. It was named for a local family. (Highway Map, Parks) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Alamode
Description:A village and post office from 1853-1908 in the center part of Logan Township. The name is written "A la mode" in 1865. It was settled by James Fox in 1845. The source of the name has not been ascertained; perhaps James Fox or one of the early settlers had in mind the French expression "a la mode," meaning "in the fashion or mode;" or the English derivative pronounced with a short "a," as this town name is, meaning a fabric. Some mills for clothmaking were established in this section as early as 1860. (Parker 1865, 1860, Postal Guide, Sutherland and McEvoy 1860)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Baker
Description:See Barker's Camp.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barker
Description:See below
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barker's Camp
Description:A sawmill camp and railroad stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad, in the center part of Logan Township, maintained in 1904 by Jim Barker, for whom it was named. The name was later shortened to Barker, which was erroneously written Baker on some maps. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904, Cram 1930)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barnesville
Description:See Ellington.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barton School
Description:A rural school in the northern part of Carroll Township, named for a local family. (W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Baucom School
Description:A rural school in the eastern part of Webb Township. Named for a family. (W.A. Williams) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bay Hills
Description:A range of hills six miles south of Lesterville along Black River. Names from Bay Spring (q.v.). (R.E. McKibbin) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bay Hollow
Description:A valley in the eastern part of Logan and western part of Webb Townships, leading north to Logan Creek, named from Bay Spring (q.v.). (Highway Map, McKibbin; Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bay Spring
Description:A large spring in the southeastern part of Lesterville Township, probably named for the Bay family as was Bay Hills and Hollow (q.v.), though the spring is said to form a kind of bay. Deer were fond of the moss which grew there. (McKibbin) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bay Springs
Description:A post office maintained in 1915 in the southwestern part of Lesterville Township, named from the large spring. Cf. above. (Postal Guide, McKibbin) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bedwell
Description:A railroad stop in the eastern part of Logan Township, named for Dave Bedwell, a prominent settler of Dickens Valley. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-1916)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bee Fork
Description:A stream in the southern part of Carroll Township, a branch of West Fork of Black River. Wm. Monks, a pioneer, records his trip from Green's Old Ferry on the Mississippi River in Cape Girardeau County to Howell County, through this region and mentions this as "a land of honey...bees abounded...beeswax...almost constituted the currency." Bee Fork has a North Branch and a South Branch. (Postal Guide, County Map, Monks 247)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bee Fork
Description:A village in the south-central part of Carroll Township. A post office was maintained from 1876-1910. The name was written Beefork 1896- 1910, but since the post office has been discontinued the spelling has reverted to the original form. It is named from the stream Bee Fork (q.v.) on which it is located. (Postal Guide, Monks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bethlehem Cemetery
Description:See Bethlehem Church.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bethlehem Church
Description:A rural Baptist Church with a cemetery in the southern part of Logan Township, organized prior to 1867. The name of Christ's birthplace is a common one for churches. (Douglas I 475)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bethlehem School
Description:A rural school in the southern part of Logan Township, named from Bethlehem Church (q.v.) nearby.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bill's Creek
Description:A stream which rises east of West Fork near the Iron County line and flows into West Fork at West Fork post office. It was named for Bill Messer, a very early settler. (C.L. Sutterfield, R.L. Parks) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bill's Creek School
Description:A rural school in the north-central part of Carroll Township on Bill's Creek, from which it is named. (W.A. Williams) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Black
Description:A village and post office in the southern part of Black River Township, on the Middle Fork of Black River. The place was first known as Camp Ground, for here the Missionary Baptist Church held meetings for several weeks each summer, under brush arbors. Black is named for a prominent citizen, George Black, though doubtless the location near Black River influenced the name also. (Highway Map, C.L. Sutterfield)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Black River
Description:A large stream which rises in Iron County, flows through Reynolds County, enters Wayne County in the northern part of Mill Spring Township. It flows seventy-five miles through Wayne County and enters Butler County, whence it flows into Arkansas and empties into White River. The stream, also known as Big Black River because of its size, is said to have been named from the dark color of the water which is colored by the vegetation growing in the stream. (Conard, 1901, Wetmore)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Black River Lodge
Description:A resort located where the three forks of Black River join, (R.E. McKibbin) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Black River Township
Description:In the north-central part of the county, organized in 1845 and named for Black River (q.v.), the principal stream of the county. In 1872 it was reduced by the cutting off of Lesterville Township (q.v.). (Douglas I 311, Conard, U.S. Census Report of 1880)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blacks School
Description:A rural school, the location of which is not known as it does not appear on the Rolla map 1941. It was named for a family. (Rolla Map 1941, W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bowers
Description:A sawmill camp and railroad stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the southern part of Logan Township, named for the owner. (Cram 1930, Gallup)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bowles School
Description:A rural school in the northeastern part of Jackson Township. Wm. and J.A. Bowles, Jr. were early residents of the county. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-1907)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boyd
Description:A flag station on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the southern part of Webb Township, maintained in 1912, and named for George Boyd, a resident of the county. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-07, R.L. Parks) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brawley Hollow
Description:A valley in the southern part of Lesterville Township, leading east to Black River, named for Joe Brawley, a landowner. (Highway Map, CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-1907, R.L. Parks) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brooks Hollow
Description:A valley in the southern part of Carroll Township, leading into West Fork near Centerville, named for Wm. Brooks, a landowner. (Highway Map CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-1907, R.L. Parks) (Pottenger)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brushy Creek
Description:In northern Black River Township, running east to join Middle Fork near Black. A descriptive name. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buffington School
Description:A rural school in the eastern part of Webb Township, named for a prominent family of the community. (Parks, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bunker
Description:A small town in the western part of Carroll Township, on the Dent County line and at the terminus of the Missouri Southern Railroad from Leeper in Wayne County. The first settlement in this valley was made in 1840, but no village existed until 1907 when a post office was established. It was named for S.J. Bunker (1857-1944), one of the prominent landowners and founder of the Bunker-Culler Lumber Company. (Postal Guide, Parks, Douglas I 383, SPRINGFIELD DAILY NEWS, November 2, 1944, "Ellington Press 1906")
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buzzard Hill
Description:A hill six miles north of Ellington in the central part of Logan Township. Buzzards were common in pioneer days, and possibly were seen here, but this is also a common mocking term, indicating a forlorn spot. A sawmill camp was located here and the railroad stop was called Buzzard Hill. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-1907, Cram 1930)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cable
Description:A small community in southeastern Logan Township, about three miles northwest of Garwood. This is, doubtless, a personal name. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Camp Ground
Description:See Black
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Camp Ground School
Description:A rural school in the southern part of Black River Township, named from Camp Ground, the early name for Black (q.v.). A voting precinct was so named as late as 1910. The school is no longer maintained. (Sutterfield, W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Carroll Township
Description:In the northwestern part of the county, organized in 1845. Presumably a personal name. (Douglas I 311, Conard)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Carter Creek
Description:An eastern branch of Black River, in southeastern Webb Township. Named for the proprietor of Carter's Mill or his family. (Highway Map, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Carter's Mill
Description:A large pioneer watermill in the southeastern part of Webb Township, established prior to 1880 and named for its proprietor. A sawmill was later set up in the same place. (Rand McNally 1880, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Carter's Mill School
Description:A rural school in the southeastern part of Webb Township. Named from the community where the Carter family lived. Cf. Carter's Mill. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Carter's Switch
Description:See Carters
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cedar Grove School
Description:A rural school, now consolidated. The name is derived from cedar growth. (W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Centerville
Description:The county seat located in the south-central part of Carroll Township. It became the county seat during the Civil War when the courthouse at Lesterville burned. The spelling Centreville was used for the post office from 1852-1896. The name was doubtless suggested by its position in the center of the county, though Mr. C.L. Sutterfield, a life-long resident of the county, says it was so named because a large sycamore tree stood in the center of the town until about fifty years ago. The first settlement was made here by James Fox in 1847. (Eaton, Postal Guide, Parker 1860, 1865, C.L. Sutterfield, Douglass I 179-311, Sutherland & McEvoy 1860)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Centreville
Description:See Centerville
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Chitwood
Description:A railroad stop on the Missouri Southern in the southwestern part of Logan Township, named for Uncle Baty Chitwood, a prominent man in the county. (Parks, CENTERVILLE REFORMER (1904-07), New International Atlas 1930)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Chitwood Cemetery
Description:A cemetery in the southwestern part of Logan Township. Cf. above.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Christian Hollow
Description:A valley in the southeastern part of Jackson Township, leading north to Logan Creek, named for a settler. (Highway Map, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clay Lick Creek
Description:A small stream which rises at the foot of Round Mountain and flows into Black River one mile south of Lesterville. It is named from a clay deer lick nearby. (R.E. McKibbin)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clones
Description:A post office from 1893-1908 serving a sawmill camp in the northwestern part of Carroll Township; presumably a personal name.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Coleman Hollow
Description:A valley in the southwestern part of Logan Township, leading north to Logan Creek. It is named for a prominent family, as is the nearby mountain. (Highway Map, Parks, McKibbin)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Coleman Mountain
Description:Cf. above
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Colyott Hollow
Description:In southeastern Lesterville Township, named for a family. It is incorrectly spelled Cotyalee Hollow on the Highway map. (R.L. Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Corridan
Description:A village in the northern part of Jackson Township on the Missouri Southern Railroad. A post office was established in 1902. The post office was first known as Rose Hill, named for Rose Lattig, whose father owned land adjoining the town. The name was changed to Corridon by the post office department. (Postal Guide, Don Santhuff)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cottonville
Description:A small place in the extreme southern part of Logan Township on the Carter County line in 1908, named for the Cotton family. (Parks, Rand McNally Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cotyalec Hollow
Description:See Colyott Hollow. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Crabtree
Description:A sawmill camp and stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the eastern part of Jackson Township in 1908, doubtless named for the species of apple tree known as crab apple tree or crabtree, which grows wild in this section. (Missouri Automobile Blue Book 1908)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Crossville School
Description:A rural school in the northwestern part of Carroll Township, named from its location in the forks of two valleys. (Missouri Map 1941, Williams, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cynthia
Description:A village and post office maintained from 1886-1891 and from 1895-1896. Its location has not been discovered. Presumably a personal name, from the wife or daughter of a founder or official. Mr. C.L. Sutterfield, seventy-five years old and life-long resident of the county, writes, "If there ever was a Cunthy (Cynthia), I do not know where it was." (Postal Guide, C.L. Sutterfield)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dagonia
Description:A post office maintained from 1907-1915 for a sawmill camp in the southwestern part of Jackson Township, named for a family. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dairyville
Description:A small community in northern Jackson Township, on the Missouri Southern Railroad, two miles south of Corridon. Unsuccessful plans were formulated for making this community a dairy district. The former name of this viallage was Delmire, which was, doubtless, a family name. (Highway Map, Southuff) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Daley
Description:A logging compound signal stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the western part of Logan Township, named for Bill Daley, the builder of the logging camp. (Henson)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Deer Run Lookout Tower
Description:A forest ranger's lookout tower in Deer Run State Park (cf. above), from which it is named. (Henson)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Deer Run State Park
Description:A state park of 8,460 acres in the southern part of Jackson and the southeastern part of Logan Townships, established in 1824. It was first called Ellington Park because of its nearness to Ellington (q.v.), but was officially named Deer Run State Park "because of the deer run which traversed the park." Locally it is known by this name, but some maps carry the name Doe Run State Park, doubtless because of Doe Run Creek. (Shoemaker II 768, Santhuff, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Delmire
Description:See Dairyville
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dickens School
Description:A rural school in the western part of Logan Township in Dickens Valley (q.v.), from which it is named.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dickens Valley
Description:A valley in the central part of Logan Township, leading southeast to Logan Creek, named for a family. (Highway Map, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dickens Valley Baptist Church
Description:A rural Baptist Church located in Dickens Valley (q.v.), from which it is named.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dickens Valley School
Description:A rural school in the central part of Logan Township, in Dickens Valley, from which it is named. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dobbins Cemetery
Description:A rural cemetery in the central part of Lesterville Township, so named because it was located on land belonging to J.T. Dobbins. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-1907)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Doe Run Creek
Description:A large creek in the southern part of Webb Township, so named because pioneer hunters found this creek was a regular path or run for the deer which were found here. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Doe Run State Park
Description:See Deer Run State Park
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Valley
Description:A valley in the western part of Logan Township leading southeast and south into Logan Creek, so named because the stream which runs through the valley is usually dry. (Highway Map, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Valley School
Description:A rural school in the western part of Logan Township, in Dry Valley, from which it is named. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Duncan
Description:A stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the southern part of Webb Township, in 1912. It is named for the landowner. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Eagle Hill
Description:In Reynolds County in 1860, according to McEvoy and Sutherland. Presumably so named for the bird.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:East Fork
Description:One of three branches of Black River flowing through Lesterville Township. It is named from its location. The three forks join near Lesterville. (Missouri Map 1941)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Edge Hill
Description:See Edgehill
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Edgehill
Description:A village in the northern part of Black River Township. The post office was established in 1858, with the name originally written Edge Hill. The name is descriptive. (Postal Guide, Sutherland and McEvoy 1860, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Elberta
Description:A small community in southern Logan Township; a stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad about three miles south of Ellington, so named from the variety of peach which is grown in nearby Fruit City and this community. (Highway Map, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ellington
Description:A town in the central, part of Logan Township. A post office was established in 1896. The first settlement was known as Barnesville, named in honor of Thomas S. Barnes, who came from North Carolina in 1835. The post office 1853-1895 was called Logan's Creek from the nearby creek. The present name honors Ciny Huff Ellington who entered the land on January 3, 1856. She was the wife of James Ellington of Knoxville, Tennessee, who came to Missouri in 1829. The name was changed to its present one by the postmaster, M.L. Copeland, for his grandmother. (Mrs. Carter M. Buford, C.L. Sutterfield's letter, Postal Guide, Goodspeed, Ellington Press (1906), Campbell (1873)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ellington Hollow
Description:A valley in the central part of Logan Township, leading southeast to Logan Creek, at Ellington, for which it is named. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ellington Park
Description:See Deer Run State Park
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Exchange
Description:A village in the western part of Logan Township. A post office was established in 1888. The village was and is a trading center where the exchange of goods is important, hence the name. (Williams) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A rural school in the southern part of Logan Township, located on the top of a hill in wooded country, hence the descriptive name. The school has been discontinued. (Williams, OFFICIAL MANUAL OF MISSOURI 1909-1910)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Farris
Description:A railroad stop in the northwestern part of Logan Township, maintained for Farris' Mill (q.v.). (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-1907, Automobile Map 1912)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Farris' Mill
Description:A sawmill on Sinking Creek in the northwestern part of Logan Township, operated by A.G. Farris, for whom it is named. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-1907)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fitz
Description:A signal stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad, between Bunker and Melton in the western part of Carroll Township. The name is doubtless personal. (Gallup Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Freeman
Description:A railroad stop in the eastern part of Logan Township, named for Jules Freeman, manager of the Missouri Southern Railroad. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fruit City
Description:A village and post office maintained from 1915-1921 in the western part of Logan Township. Now only a rural school and community are there. The surrounding orchards made this a fruit center, hence the name. (Postal Guide, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fruit City School
Description:Cf. above
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Funk Branch
Description:A small stream in the northeastern part of Webb Township, which enters from Iron County and flows into Black River, doubtless named for Gus Funk, a prominent citizen of the county. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Garwood
Description:A logging camp in the southwestern part of Webb Township doubtless named for the proprietor. A post office was established in 1910. Now the village is little more than the post office and school. (Postal Guide, Highway Map, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Garwood School
Description:Cf. above
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gladden Dale School
Description:See Gladdendale School
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gladdendale School
Description:A rural school in the northwestern part of Carroll Township on West Fork. The school, which has evidently been consolidated with Centerville, was doubtless named for a Gladden family with the suffix -dale added. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-1907, Rolla Map 1942)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Glen Dale
Description:A village in the southern part of Logan Township in 1854-1855. The name is descriptive. (Sutherland and McEvoy 1854- 1855)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Goggins Mountain
Description:A mountain 1,520 feet in elevation in the western part of Black River Township, near Edgehill. It is named for a pioneer family. (Gallup Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gossit Ford
Description:A ford on Black River in the eastern part of Webb Township, named for a family. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904-1905, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Grady
Description:In southern Logan Township, a stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad about two miles west of Ruble. Presumably a personal name. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Graveyard Hollow
Description:A valley in the southern part of Jackson Township, leading east to Logan Creek. It is named from a cemetery located in the valley. (Highway Map, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Greeley
Description:A village in the northwestern part of Carroll Township. A post office was established in 1886. It was named for Thomas Greeley, a sawmill operator who came to the northern part of Reynolds County from Illinois. Mr. C.L. Sutterfield, life-long resident of the county, says the post office has been moved all up and down the West Fork for six or eight miles. (Postal Guide, Sutterfield)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Guber
Description:A railroad stop on a branch of the Missouri Southern Railroad in the northeastern part of Jackson Township in 1912; named for a family. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gunnets Creek
Description:A stream in the center part of Black River Township, running east into Brushy Creek. It is named for a family who own land there. The name is erroneously spelled Gunnis on the Highway Map. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gunnis Creek
Description:See Gunnets Creek (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hadley
Description:A village in the southeastern part of Webb Township. A post office was established in 1915. It may have been named for Governor Herbert Spencer Hadley (1872-1927), whose term in office (1909-1913), had just expired. Cf. Hadley Vocational School in St. Louis (Miss Welty's thesis). (MISSOURI AND MISSOURIANS)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Harrison Valley
Description:In northeastern Logan Township, leading south to Sinking Creek near Redford. Named for a family. (Highway Map, Williams, Santhuff)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Harrison Valley Church
Description:A rural General Baptist Church in the northeastern part of Logan Township in Harrison Valley (q.v.), from which it is named.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Harrison Valley School
Description:A rural school in the northeastern part of Logan Township, in Harrison Valley, for which it is named. (Highway Map, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Heitts Creek
Description:See Hyatt's Creek
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Helvel
Description:See Helvey
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Helvey
Description:A small community in southern Webb Township, halfway between Ruble and Garwood. It is named for G.B. and Cyrus Helvey, who were prominent in the county. The name is erroneously spelled Helvel on the Highway Map. (Parks, Highway Map, CENTERVILLE REFORMER)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Henpeck Creek
Description:In northwestern Carroll Township, a southern branch of West Fork, which it joins near Greeley. Doubtless a piece of pioneer humor. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hersey
Description:A sawmill camp and signal stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad, just south of Ellington. The name is doubtless that of the sawmill operator and owner. (Cram 1930)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hicks
Description:A stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the eastern part of Jackson Township, named for a family. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hideout
Description:A logging camp and stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the south-central part of Logan Township. A humorous descriptive name, suggested by the thick brush which made an excellent hiding place. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:High Top Mountain
Description:A mountain, 1,630 feet in elevation, in the northwestern part of Lesterville Township, near Munger. The name is descriptive. (Gallup Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hobart
Description:A sawmill camp and stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad southeast of Bunker, named for the owner. (Cram (1930)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Humboldt
Description:A post office in the eastern part of Jackson Township, maintained 1888-1900, for a sawmill camp. Possibly named for the famous geographer Baron Friedrich Heinrich Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), whose name is borne by three counties and nine other American towns.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hyatt's Creek
Description:An eastern branch of Black River in southeastern Lesterville Township. On the Highway Map it is spelled Heitts Creek. Named for Seth Hyatt, who came to the county in 1825 and settled here. (Conard, Highway Map, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hyatt's Creek School
Description:A rural school in the southeastern part of Lesterville Township, on Hyatt's Creek (Heitts Creek), for which it is named. (Conard, W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Imboden Fork
Description:In northern Lesterville Township near Monterey, running south into East Fork. Presumably a personal name. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:In the southwestern part of the county, organized in 1845, and named for prominent pioneer families, many of whom live here. (Parks, Douglass I 311, U.S. Census Reports (1840-1930)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jay Lookout Tower
Description:T. 32N.R. 2W., eight miles east of Bunker. (John D. Henson)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Johnson Shut-in
Description:A rock formation which collects water in pools within the bed of a stream, and hence called shut-ins. This one is located in the East Fork of Black River, six miles north of Lesterville in Lesterville Township. It is named for the Johnson family, landowners. (R.E. McKibbin) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Leach Turkey Ranch
Description:A large farm in the southern part of Lesterville Township, on Black River, where thousands of turkeys are raised each year and sent to State game preserves. The ranch is owned and managed by B.K. Leach, of Kirkwood, hence the name. (MISSOURI, A GUIDE TO THE STATE, 542)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lee Mountain
Description:A large mountain 1300 ft. in elevation, four and a half miles north of Lesterville Township, named for an early settler. (R.E. McKibbin)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lesterville
Description:A town in the central part of Lesterville Township. It was built on the site selected by Ayres Hudspeth of Washington County, John Miller of Madison County, and Moses Carty of St. Francois County as the county seat in 1845. During the Civil War the courthouse burned and the seat of justice moved to Centerville. Named for an early settler, George Lester. (Hayward, Conard, Eaton, Douglass I 179, C.L. Sutterfield)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lesterville Township
Description:In the northeastern part of the county, organized in 1872 from a part of Black River Township and named from Lesterville (q.v.), the largest town and the first seat of justice in the county. (Douglass I 311, Conard, U.S. Census Report of 1880)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Tom Sauk Creek
Description:A small stream in the eastern part of Lesterville Township. It joins Tom Sauk Creek (q.v.) and flows into East Fork of Black River. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Locust Grove Church
Description:A rural General Baptist church on Brushy Creek in the northern part of Black River Township, doubtless so named because it was located in a grove of locust trees. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER 1904- 1907)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Logan Creek
Description:See Logan's Creek
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Logan Township
Description:In the south-central part of the county, organized in 1845 and named for James Logan, one of the first settlers in the county, and a prominent man. (Douglass I 311, Conard, U.S. Cenuss Report)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Logan's Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A large stream which rises in Jackson Township and flows through the southern part of the county in Logan and Webb Townships. It empties into Black River. It was named for James Logan who settled here in 1825. On the Highway Map it appears as Logan Creek. (Conard)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Logan's Creek [2 of 2]
Description:See Ellington
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lone Cedar School
Description:A rural school in the western part of Jackson Township. It is a descriptive name, suggested by the cedar growth. (W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lone Star
Description:A logging camp in the southwestern part of Logan Township. A favorite emblem name. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lost Spring Creek
Description:A stream mentioned by Campbell in 1874, in the western part of the county. The name is descriptive of a stream which meanders through isolated country, often disappearing in the underbrush or underground. (Campbell (1874)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Low Hollow
Description:A valley in the northern part of Logan Township; the name is descriptive.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lower Bee Fork School
Description:A rural school in the southern part of Carroll Township, so named from its location south of Bee Fork. The school has been discontinued. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lower Doe Run School
Description:A rural school in the western part of Webb Township. The name is derived from its location on Doe Run Creek to distinguish it from Upper Doe Run School, now discontinued.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lyons
Description:A sawmill camp in the southern part of Carroll Township, probably named for the owner. (Cram (1930)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mann Hollow
Description:A valley in the northeastern part of Webb Township, doubtless named for the Mann family. John Mann was a prominent man of the county and P. Mann was road overseer in 1904. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER (1904), OFFICIAL MANUAL OF S. OF MISSOURI (1907-09)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mann School
Description:A rural school in the eastern part of Webb Township, named for a prominent family. Cf. above.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Manns
Description:A stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the southwestern part of Webb Township, named for the Mann family. (County Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Marcoot
Description:A village in the northern part of Carroll Township. A post office was maintained from 1908-1935. Source of name not discovered. Mr. C.L. Sutterfield writes,"It was just a fictitious name that had no significance." Since all names have some significance, however, Mr. Sutterfield means he does not know or it is possibly a coined name, the significance of which has been forgotten. (Postal Guide, C.L. Sutterfield)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Martha
Description:A post office maintained from 1900-1904 in the eastern part of Webb Township. Presumably taken from a feminine first name. Marvin Munger, prominent lumber and mill man, had a daughter named Martha, who became the wife of William Andrews. (Postal Guide, Goodspeed, REMINISCENT HISTORY 713)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mayberry Branch
Description:A stream in the northern part of Logan and Webb Townships, flowing east into Black River, named for a family. (Highway Map, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mayberry School
Description:A rural school in the northeastern part of Webb Township. Named for the stream.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:McDoe
Description:A post office from 1889-1904, for a sawmill camp in the southern part of Carroll Township. Presumably a personal name, tho Mr. C.L. Sutterfield, writes "It was just named to get a short name that was not in use anywhere else in the state." (C.L. Sutterfield's letter)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:McMurtry Creek
Description:Rises in northwestern Carroll Township and flows south to join West Fork near Greeley; named for a family. (Highway Map, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:McMurtry School
Description:A rural school in the northwestern part of Carroll Township, on the McMurtry Creek, from which it is named. (Highway Map, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Meadars
Description:A flag stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the western part of Logan Township, maintained in 1912, doubtless named for H.L. Meaders, who operated a store here in the early twentieth century. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER (1904-1907), Crams Atlas (1912- 20)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Medley's Mill
Description:A sawmill in the northeastern part of Jackson Township, near Corridon, operated by Henry Medley, for whom it was named. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER (1904-07)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Melton
Description:A signal stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad near Bunker in the western part of Carroll Township. The name is that of the landowner and sawmill operator for whom the stop was maintained. (Gallup Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Middle Fork
Description:The middle branch of the three forks of Black River, flowing through Black River Township. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Missouri Southern Railroad
Description:A railroad built as a road to connect sawmills and to haul lumber. It extended from Bunker in Reynolds County, across the county to Leeper in Mill Spring Township in Wayne County, where it connected with the Iron Mountain (now Missouri Pacific) Railroad. A name of location. (Douglass I 508)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mokita School
Description:A rural school in the eastern part of Logan Township. The name is said to be Indian. (W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Monterey
Description:A village in the northern part of Lesterville Township; a post office was established in 1895. Presumably named for the city in California, or for the famous battle in the Mexican War, fought near the capital city of the state of Nuevo Leon, Mexico, September 24, 1846. The name in Spanish means "mountain of the King," and is borne by thirteen other American places. (Ramsay)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Moss
Description:A post office in the northwestern part of Carroll Township, maintained 1895-1900, restored for one year in 1915, named for a family. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Munger
Description:A village in the northeastern part of Lesterville Township, first known as Munger's Mill because of the grist mill established there about 1865 by Marvin Munger. A post office was maintained from 1867-68. (Postal Guide, Goodwin, REMINISCENT HISTORY 713)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Munger
Description:A post office from 1902-1904 in Iron County, now in Reynolds County. On East Fork of Black River. Named for a family. (Postal Guide; W.H. Copeland; J.M. Hawkins)
Source:Zimmer, Gertrude M. "Place Names Of Five Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1944.

Place name:Munger's Mill
Description:See Munger
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Nations Creek
Description:A stream in the eastern part of Lesterville Township. Presumably a personal name.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:North Branch of Bee Fork
Description:See Bee Fork. A name of direction. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oak Grove Church
Description:A rural Missionary Baptist church organized September 11, 1904, by Reverend S.I. Nichols of Carter's Creek. It was located on Black River in the eastern part of Webb Township. The name is descriptive. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER September, 1904)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A rural school in the southeastern part of Webb Township. A descriptive name. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oakle
Description:See Oakley
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oakley
Description:A railroad stop in the southeastern part of Logan Township, maintained in 1912. Oakley is a common family name and this place was doubtless named for a landowner. On the Highway Map the name is incorrectly spelled Oakle. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oates
Description:A village in the northern part of Black River Township. A post office was established in 1888 and maintained until 1918 when the timber interests and village declined. It is now, according to Mr. C.L. Sutterfield's letter, "Just a wide place in the road with two or three small stores and a three roomed school." The name still appears on the Highway Map. Oates is doubtless a personal name. (Postal Guide, Map of 1912, Highway Map, C.L. Sutterfield's letter)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oates Lookout Tower
Description:T. 33N. R. 1W. Named from the community. (John D. Henson)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oates School
Description:Cf. above
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ohlman
Description:A post office maintained from 1908-1910 in the western part of Carroll Township. Named for a landowner, James Ohlman. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Panther Hill Lookout Tower
Description:T. 30N. R. 1W., on Panther Hill from which it takes its name. According to a local story the town is located at the place where the notorious James brothers opened the mail sacks taken from the train at Gad's Hill. Pieces of the burned letters were found there the following day by a posse. (Don Santhuff, John D. Henson) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Paola Branch
Description:See Peola Branch
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Peola Branch
Description:A small stream, also called Peola Creek, a western branch of Black River, in the southern part of Lesterville Township. The name is said to be Indian. There were Indian camps in the vicinity. The word is misspelled Paola on the Highway Map, doubtless because of the pronunciation. (Williams, Highway Map, McKibbin) (Pottenger)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Peola Creek
Description:See Peola Branch
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Peola School
Description:A rural school in the southern part of Lesterville Township, on Peola Branch, for which it is named. The school has been abandoned. (Highway Map, Williams) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Piankisha Spring
Description:One-half mile south of Lesterville. Named for the Indian tribe. Many Indian relics have been found in the county. (R.E. McKibbin) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pine Valley [1 of 2]
Description:A post office maintained from 1886-1892 in Pine Valley (cf. above), from which it was named. (Postal Guide)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pine Valley [2 of 2]
Description:A valley in the southwestern part of Logan Township, so named because of the pine trees growing there. (County Map, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pine Valley School
Description:A rural school in the southwestern part of Logan Township, in Pine Valley (q.v.) from which it was named. (County Map, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pinedale School
Description:A rural school in the western part of Webb Township. The name is descriptive. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pinkley
Description:A village in the north-central part of Lesterville Township, named for a family. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Exchange Church
Description:The Baptist Church at Ellington organized prior to 1874. Presumably chosen to signify fraternity and mutual good will. Cf. the town named Exchange, which is nearby. (Douglass I 475)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Spring School
Description:A rural school in the eastern part of Webb Township. The name was suggested by the school's location in a valley near a good spring. (W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant View Church
Description:The Missionary Baptist church at Redford, established prior to 1904, and given this descriptive and laudatory name by its founders. (CENTERVILLE REFORMER, September 22, 1904)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pocus Hollow
Description:See Pogue Hollow
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pogue Hollow
Description:A valley in the southern part of Jackson Township, leading east to Logan Creek. W.A. Pogue was prominent in the county, and the hollow is doubtless named for him. The name is erroneously written Pocus on a recent map. (Highway Map, Rolla Map, CENTERVILLE REFORMER)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Potter Branch
Description:A small stream in the southern part of Webb Township, flowing into Webb Creek. It is named for a local family. (Highway Map, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Radford School
Description:A rural school in the center part of Jackson Township, named for a family. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rattlesnake Hollow
Description:A valley four miles north of Lesterville. The hollow has many rattlesnakes, hence the name. (R.E. McKibbin)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Raymond
Description:A small community in the southeastern corner of Webb Township. Presumably a personal name. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Red Oak
Description:A railroad stop in the central part of Logan Township. The name is descriptive of the surroundings. (Santhuff)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Redford
Description:A village growing out of a sawmill camp in the northern part of Logan Township. A post office was established in 1892, and named for B. Redford, landowner. (Postal Guide, County Map, ELLINGTON PRESS (1906)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reed
Description:Cf. below
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reeds
Description:A stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the center part of Logan Township, near Ellington, maintained in 1912, named for the Reed family. The name is also written Reed. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reed's Spring
Description:One- half mile east of Centerville. Approximately 9,700,000 gallons of water flow from the hillside daily. The flume and waterwheel of a gristmill that formerly stood beside the dam were part of the Missouri exhibit at the New York World's Fair in 1939. Named for the owner of the mill, T.J. Reed. Another owner was Nathaniel Scott. (MISSOURI (Am. Guide Series) 543, R.L. Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reese Hill
Description:A place mentioned by Goodwin in 1867-68. It was seven miles north of Centerville in Carroll Township. The post office was discontinued in 1879-80. The name is, doubtless, that of an early settler. (Goodwin)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reynolds
Description:A village in the northern part of Jackson Township, on the Missouri Southern Railroad, named for the county. The former name of the village was Tralaloo or Trallaloo, a sawmill camp fostered by the Clarkson Sawmill Company, of Leeper in Wayne County, which existed from 1904-06. In 1905 Tralaloo had two hundred inhabitants. The name was changed by the railroad company. (Highway Map, Williams, Santhuff, CENTERVILLE REFORMER (1904-06)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reynolds County
Description:Organized February 25, 1845. Bounded by Dent, Iron, Carter, Shannon, and Wayne counties. Until 1830 the territory now embraced in Reynolds County was part of Ripley County. In 1830 it was attached to Washington, then to Shannon County, and in 1845 was organized as Reynolds County. It included part of present Iron County until 1857. The first settlement was made in 1812 by Henry Fry of Kentucky, who settled on the Middle Fork of Black River. In 1816 Major Henry located near the mouth of the three forks and later Seth Hyatt and James Logan settled on Logan's Creek. The commissioners appointed to locate the seat of justice selected Lesterville, but in 1867 the courthouse burned and the county seat was moved to Centerville. Five townships were organized before 1870: Black River, Carroll, Jackson, Logan, and Webb. Lesterville Township (q.v.) was cut off from Black River Township in 1872. The county was named in honor of Thomas Reynolds (1796-1844), of Howard County, Governor of Missouri from 1840-1844, who committed suicide while in office. Governor Reynolds is noted for writing the shortest act in the history of the Missouri Legislature: Imprisonment for debt is hereby abolished. His death occurred just the year before the county was organized. (Stevens II, Douglass I 179-311, Eaton, Conard)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reynolds-Corridon School
Description:A rural school in the northeastern part of Jackson Township, so called because the school is halfway between Reynolds and Corridon. (W.A. Williams) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Riverside
Description:A settlement on the banks of Black River in the eastern part of Webb Township. The name is descriptive of its location. The settlement is a rural community surrounding the rural school. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Riverside School
Description:See Riverside
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Robinson Hollow
Description:In northeastern Logan Township, leading southwest into Harrison Valley, named for a family. (Highway Map, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rolland Hill School
Description:A rural school in the southern part of Webb Township, named, like the community in which it is located, for the Rolland family. The name appears as Rolling Hill on a map prepared at the School of Mines at Rolla; this doubtless occurred because the people of the community failed to enunciate the final "d" and the spoken word Rollan' became Rolling to the map maker. (Williams, Rolla Map (1941)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rolling Hill School
Description:See Rolland Hill School
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rose Hill
Description:See Corridon
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Round Mountain
Description:Four miles northeast of Lesterville. It is a round knob. (R.E. McKibbin) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ruble
Description:A village in the southeastern part of Logan Township. A post office was established in 1899. It is a station on the Missouri Southern Railroad. The name is doubtless a personal one. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Russell's Hill
Description:A place mentioned by Goodwin in 1867-68; presumably a personal name. (Goodwin)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Scotts
Description:A place northwest of Redford in the northern part of Logan Township in 1908; named for Nathaniel Scott, sawmill owner and operator who was a partner to T.J. Reed of Reed's Spring. (Automobile Map (1908), R.L. Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Scott's Mill
Description:See Reed's Spring
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shed School
Description:A rural school in the eastern part of Webb Township, located on the edge of a watershed, which may account for the name. (Parks, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shutin Creek
Description:A small stream in the northern part of Lesterville Township, named for a shut-in along its course. (Highway Map, Sauer, Plates I-XXVI, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Silver Lake
Description:A lake or pond, now drained, in the southern part of Black River Township, so named because of the clear, silver-like water.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Silver Lake School
Description:A rural school in the southern part of Black River Township, named from a large pond or lake which at one time was stocked with fish. The school has been discontinued. (Parks, Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sinking Creek
Description:A creek flowing from the western part of the county in Jackson Township, through Logan Township, and emptying into Black River in Webb Township. A descriptive name, for a stream that disappears in the earth at places. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sinking Creek Church
Description:A rural Baptist church organized in 1878 on Sinking Creek, from which it was named. (Goodspeed 559)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Skyline School
Description:A rural school in the north-central part of Logan Township. A descriptive name suggested by the school's location on a hill. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Smith Hollow
Description:A valley in the eastern part of Lesterville Township, leading into Black River. A personal name. Cf. above. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Smithboro
Description:A post office maintained from 1902-1908 for a sawmill camp in the eastern part of Lesterville Township. A personal name from the owner with the suffix -boro affixed. Cf. Smith Hollow, in which it is located. (Cram's Atlas, County Map (1912), Postal Guide, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:South Branch of Bee Fork
Description:Rises near the village of Reynolds in Jackson Township; see Bee Fork. A name of direction. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spring Valley Creek
Description:A stream in the eastern part of Logan Township, running south into Logan Creek. A descriptive name of the creek which has many springs. Locally the stream is called Watery Branch, Spring Valley Creek being a "map name." (Highway Map, Santhuff)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stine
Description:A small community in southern Webb Township, about two miles southeast of Ruble. Presumably a personal name. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stockton
Description:A stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the southern part of Webb Township. Presumably a personal name. It may have been named, like Stockton in Cedar County, Missouri, in 1847, for Commodore Robert Field Stockton (1795-1866), who did much to save California for the United States during the Mexican War. Fifteen other American places bear Stockton's name. (Mr. Myer's thesis)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:String Valley
Description:A valley along Sinking Creek in the central and eastern part of Logan Township. Probably a descriptive name for a long narrow valley.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Summit
Description:A signal stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the eastern part of Logan Township. A descriptive name. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Suses Branch
Description:A stream in the western part of Jackson Township; a western branch of Logan Creek. It is presumably a personal name. (Highway Map, R.L. Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sweazen Pond
Description:A large pond in the eastern part of Webb Township, one-half mile wide, and quite deep on land owned by Charley Anderson. It was named for Andrew Sweazea, of German descent, whose father was a pioneer landowner to whom the farm originally belonged. (Wallis)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sweetwater Creek
Description:A small creek in the northern part of Jackson Township, flowing into Logan's Creek. A name descriptive of the hard water of the creek. Hard water is often described as sweet water. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sweetwater School
Description:A rural school in the western part of Jackson Township, on Sweetwater Creek (q.v.), from which it is named. (Williams) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tainter
Description:A post office maintained in 1895. Location of place and source of name not discovered.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tom Sauk Creek
Description:A small stream flowing south in northwestern Lesterville Township, and emptying into East Fork of Black River. Cf. Tom Sauk Mountain, Iron County. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tom's Creek
Description:In western Carroll Township, a southern branch of West Fork, which it joins near the village of West Fork. It was named for Thomas Sutterfield, one of four brothers who came from Tennessee in 1839. (Highway Map, C.L. Sutterfield)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tralaloo
Description:See Reynolds
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Trallaloo
Description:See Reynolds
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Trego
Description:A signal stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad, just north of Oakley in the southeastern part of Logan Township. (Gallup)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Upper Doe Run School
Description:A rural school in the eastern part of Logan Township, at the upper end of Doe Run Creek (q.v.), from which it is named. The appellation "upper" distinguished it from Lower Doe Run School. It is now abandoned. (Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Upper Dry Valley Church
Description:A rural church in the northern part of Logan Township, named from its location in the northern part of Dry Valley (q.v.). (County Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Upper Dry Valley School
Description:A rural school in the northern part of Logan Township. Cf. above.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Victory School
Description:A rural school in the southern part of Logan Township. An ideal name. (Rolla Map (1941)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vincent Branch
Description:Presumably a personal name. See Vinson Branch. (Highway Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vinson Branch
Description:A western branch of Sinking Creek in the northern part of Logan Township. Named for a landowner. The spelling "Vincent" on the Highway Map is erroneous. (Parks) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vogt
Description:A post office maintained in 1915-1918. Presumably a personal name. (Postal Guide)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Walker Branch
Description:A small stream in the central part of Lesterville Township, flowing into Middle Fork of Black River, named for a family. (W.A. Williams) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Walker Branch School
Description:A rural school in the center part of Lesterville Township, on Walker Branch, from which it is named. (W.A. Williams) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Warner Bay Spring
Description:A large spring in the center of a resort, which discharges a maximum of 10,000,000 gallons of water daily into a pool covered with deer moss and water lilies, in the southern part of Lesterville Township, on Black River. The name is doubtless that of the owner. (MISSOURI, A GUIDE TO THE STATE 542)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Warren's Store
Description:A post office and store in the northeastern part of Lesterville Township. A post office was established in 1886, named for its proprietor. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Watery Branch
Description:See Spring Valley Creek
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Webb
Description:A flag station and stop on the Missouri Southern Railroad in the southern part of Webb Township, maintained in 1912. Named for the Webb family. (Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Webb Creek
Description:A small creek in the southern part of Webb Township, running east into Black River; named for the Webb family. (W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Webb School
Description:A rural school in the northern part of Black River Township, named for the Webb family. (W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Webb Township
Description:In the southeastern part of the county, organized in 1845, named for a family, many members of which live in the township. (Parks, Douglass I 311, Conard, U.S. Census Reports (1840-1930)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Webb Valley
Description:A valley running northeast to Black River in the southeastern corner of Webb Township. It lies about five miles east of the valley through which Webb Creek flows, and its name has the same origin that of the Webb family. (Highway Map, Parks)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Weeks Cave
Description:A large cave, said to be one mile in extent, located one mile north of Lesterville. The name is doubtless personal. (McKibbin) (Zimmer)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:West Fork [1 of 3]
Description:The western fork or branch of Black River, which flows through Carroll Township, from the west and joins Middle and East Forks near Lesterville.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:West Fork [2 of 3]
Description:A village in the north-central part of Carroll Township, established in 1886 and named from its location on West Fork of Black River (q.v.). The name was written Westfork (1899-1910), doubtless under the influence of postal authorities who prefer to consolidate names; but in 1911 the name is again written West Fork in the postal guide. (Postal Guide, Sutterfield)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:West Fork [3 of 3]
Description:A village in the northern part of Carroll Township, on West Fork of Black River from which it is named. A post office was established in 1915. (Postal Guide)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:West Fork School
Description:On West Fork, from which it is named. (W.A. Williams)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:West Hollow
Description:A valley in the northern part of Logan Township. Named for its location.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Westfork
Description:See West Fork
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wet Hollow
Description:A valley in the northern part of Logan Township. The name is descriptive.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wood Creek
Description:A small stream in the southern part of Logan Township, named for a local family. (County Map)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names