Ray County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Ada
Description:See Albany
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Albany
Description:A once prosperous town three-fourths of a mile northeast of present Orrick. It was founded in 1854 by Eli Carter. Albany in Gentry County necessitated another name for the post office Ada, the name of Mr. Carter's wife, was the name chosen. Today there is a coal mine and a few houses at the place. The origin of the name Albany was not found; but doubtless it was borrowed, directly or indirectly, from Albany, New York, like the twenty other Albanys found in as many states. (Parker 1865; HIST. RAY 1881, 454; RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, October 10, 1936, 6)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Alfred
Description:See Floyd
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Allen's Brick Mill
Description:A mill constructed sometime prior to 1850 and operated by James Allen, a native of Virginia. It was located three and a half miles southeast of Richmond. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, April 16, 1931, 6; Buchanan)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Allen's Mill
Description:See Lisbonville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ashton
Description:The HIST. RAY County states that Ashton was a former name of Albany. This statement is probably erroneous; no old settler in or near Albany ever heard of Ashton, and the MISSOURI HISTORICAL REVIEW II, 169 states that Ashton was a former name of Albany, Gentry County. (HIST. RAY, 454)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad
Description:When the name was given to this railroad Atchison and Topeka, Kansas were the termini. The name Santa Fe was added because the ambition of the officials was to build it to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Today the road serves a territory from Chicago to California. (HISTORY OF JACKSON 1881, 192; Gilliland)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Baber School
Description:In south-central Richmond Township. Named for Benjamin Franklin Baber, who donated the land for school purposes. (Miss Baber)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Baffin's Bay and Patagonia Road
Description:A name given in derision to the proposed and seemingly impossible Lake Superior, Kansas City and Gulf Railroad. Baffin's Bay is in the Arctic regions, and Patagonia is the most southern section of Argentine, South America. (K.C. 1816-1877, 7)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bennett School
Description:In east-central Knoxville Township. Named for a pioneer family. (Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Benton School
Description:In northwestern Polk Township. The origin of the name could not be ascertained. It was probably named for Thomas Hart Benton (1782-1858), a Missouri Senator for thirty years. (83R)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bethlehem Church
Description:A defunct Christian Church in northwestern Knoxville Township, organized in 1868. Cf. above. (HIST. RAY 1881, 337)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Big Creek
Description:See Crooked River
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bisbee School
Description:In north-central Polk Township. Named for David Bisbee, who donated the land for school purposes. (Lebold)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bluffton
Description:An old town thart was located on the bluffs just north of the present Camden. It was the seat of justice for Ray County as early as 1821. The name was descriptive of its location. (Beck 1823; HIST. RAY 1881, 219; Falle)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bogart Creek
Description:Rises in east-central Fishing River Township, flows southwest and empties into Fishing River. Named for Alexander Bogart, a landowner in the district. (Mrs. Bogart)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Brownsburgh
Description:The Richmond Missourian of January 30, 1930 writes that this was a town with a brief career in northeastern Grape Grove Township. It was laid out in 1874 by John and Matilda Brown. (PLOT BOOK RAY; RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, January 30, 1930, 6)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Buck Snort
Description:See Millville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Buffalo
Description:The first settlement in the county. It was in southeastern Crooked River Township, not far from the present town of Hardin. The Reverend William Turnage was preaching there as early as 1816. The HIST. RAY County, 1881, says the name was given probably because the place was frequented by the buffalo. (HIST. RAY 1881, 206, 325)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Buncombe
Description:See Knoxville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Butler School
Description:This is an old school in west-central Polk Township. No one interviewed knew the origin of the name. It is not a local name. Since that section of the country is democratic it may have been named for William Orlando Butler (1791-1880), of Kentucky, a man popular with southern democrats and a democratic candidate for vice-president in 1848. (Dr. Ramsey)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Camden
Description:A town in southern Camden Township. The first mention of this place was found in Colton's THE WESTERN TOURIST of the year 1845. Doubtless named for a local family. Pret Camden was in business at that place at least as early as 1849. (Colton 1845; Goodwin 1867; Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Camden Junction
Description:A Santa Fe Junction one and a half miles west of Camden. (R. Missouri 1935; Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Camden Township
Description:The south-central Township. It was formed in 1841 and named for its most important town, Camden (q.v.). (R. Missouri 1935; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Carpenter's Mill
Description:A map of 1855 shows this mill on East Fork of Crooked River, a little east of the center part of the county. Obviously named for the owner. (Map 1855)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Cato
Description:A little town three miles north of Fox. Named for Reverend E.W. Cato, a minister of the church of Latter Day Saints. (Postal Guide 1893; Frazier; Coffman)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Centennial School
Description:In south-central Orrick Township. The school was opened in 1876 and was named to commemorate the Declaration of Independence of 1776. (W.C. Williams)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Central School
Description:In southeastern Grape Grove Township. Named because it was at the center of the community served by Rockingham. (Frazier)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad
Description:The railroad originally extended from Chicago to Quincy, Illinois. Later it extended north to Burlington, Iowa. This road bought the Kansas City and Cameron Railroad, a railroad named for the two Missouri towns. It was a branch of the first Missouri railroad of any extent, the Hannibal and St. Joseph, a road completed in 1859. The Kansas City and Cameron bore the pretentious name of Lake Superior, Kansas City and Gulf (q.v.). (HISTORY OF JACKSON 1881, 464, 486; Yocum)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad
Description:This railway system is composed of almost numberless smaller systems which were originally independent. The name is derived from its termini. Kansas City is its southern terminus. (J.R. Cox)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad
Description:Chicago and Rock Island, Illinois are the east termini of the railroad. It was intended to extend the road to the Pacific; but at the present the west termini reaches Denver, Colorado and Santa Rosa, New Mexico. (HISTORY OF JACKSON 1881, 192; J.R. Cox)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Chickenbristle
Description:See Lisbonville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Clay School
Description:In northeastern Polk Township. An old school whose name dates back earlier than the memories of the oldest citizens in that section of the county. It is not a local family name. Probably named for Henry Clay (1777-1852), who was popular for his part in bringing about compromise measures in regard to slavery. (83R)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Clear Creek Baptist Church
Description:In Kearney Township. Was organized in 1840. Named from the stream Clear Creek (q.v.). (HISTORY OF C. AND P. 1885, 450; Reverend Barr)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Clevenger Mill
Description:An old grist mill located about one mile southeast of the present town of Vibbard. It was operated by the owner, John Clevenger. (Mrs. Clevenger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Clevenger School
Description:In northeastern Fishing River Township. Named for John Clevenger, landowner and pioneer from Tennessee. (Mrs. Clevenger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Cottonwood Creek
Description:A northeastern flowing stream which drains the northern part of Grape GroveTownship. Named from the cottonwood trees which grow along its banks. (Gates)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Crab Apple Creek
Description:A short tributary of Wakenda Creek in Grape Grove Township. Named from the crab apple trees which grow along its banks. (Frazier)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Crab Orchard
Description:See Elkhorn
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Crenshaw School
Description:In west-central Knoxville Township. Named for H.R. Crenshaw, landowner. (Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Crooked River
Description:Rises in the southern part of Clinton County, flows southeast, and empties into the Missouri River. This is the largest stream of the county. It has a descriptive name. On map before 1855 it bears the name of Tiger. The Lewis and Clark Journal has this entry for June 19, 1804: "--passed a large creek at the head of an island called Tiger River. 25 yds. on the S. S. the island below this Is'd is large and called the Isle of Pant(h)ers, formed on S. S. by a narrow channel." The origin of the name Tiger was not ascertained. It was probably named from the wildcat, or panther, which was often called a tiger by the pioneers. It is sometimes spoken of as Big Creek, or Little River. (Th's L. & C. Vol. I, 52; map 1826; map 1855; Eaton; Cates)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Crooked River Township
Description:In the southwestern part of the county. It was formed in 1823 and named from Crooked River (q.v.). (HIST. RAY, 1881,239; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Dale School
Description:In western Richmond Township. Named for Moses G. Dale, who donated the land for school purposes. (Dale)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Dangerous Branch
Description:A short stream which rises in east-central Richmond Township, flows southeast and empties into Crooked River. Because the stream is unprotected by trees it rises suddenly and is treacherous. (Happy)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Discharge
Description:See Willow Creek
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Dockery
Description:A village in northern Richmond Township, six miles north of Richmond. Named for Alexander M. Dockery, who was running for his first term in Congress. Mr. Dockery was congressman of the 3rd district from 1882-1898 and Governor of Missouri from 1901-1905. (Postal Guide 1889-1904; Mayfield; Judge Magill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:East Fork of Crooked River
Description:Rises in the northern part of the county, flows southeast and empties into Crooked River. Its name signifies its location. (Map 1855)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Egypt
Description:A rich fertile section of land in southwestern Orrick Township which was once the bed of the Missouri River. The excellent corn grown there reminded the settlers of the Biblical narration of the sons of Jacob going to Egypt to buy corn. Compare the use of Egypt as a name for southern Illinois, around Cairo, another territory which, like Egypt, is fertilized by a great river. (Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Egypt Christian Union Church
Description:A church of the Christian Union denomination in southwestern Orrick Township. Named for the neighborhood, Egypt (q.v.). (Dr. Sheetz)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Egypt School
Description:In southwestern Orrick Township. Named for the neighborhood. See Egypt. (Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Elderton
Description:A town platted, but never developed, in northeastern Crooked River Township. It was nmed for the promoter, James Elder. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, January 30, 1930, 6)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Elkhorn
Description:A town in southeastern Fishing River Township. It was laid out in 1837 and was probably named from the fact that an extra large elk horn was found near the place. An early day saloon had a pair of elk horns over the door. Wetmore (1837), spells the name Elk Horn. On a map of 1859 the name is spelled Elkheart. The post office name is Crab Orchard. It was the name given after Crab Orchard, Kentucky, the hometown of a pioneer of the place, Thomas Hamilton. (Wetmore 1837; PLAT BOOK RAY; Cravens; Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Elmira
Description:A coal mining town in north-central Polk Township. It was laid out in 1887 by the Milwaukee Land Company. The origin of the name was not found. It is a stock name, found in seven other states, most of the doubtless deriving directly or indirectly from Elmira, New York. (Postal Guide 1888 ff; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Esrey School
Description:A former school in central Crooked River Township. It is now a part of the consolidated district of Hardin. Named for Niles, Esrey, a large landowner of the district. (Happy)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fairplay School
Description:In northwestern Knoxville Township. A dispute in regard to the naming of the school was settled by this compromise ideal name. (Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Farmville
Description:An old town no longer in existence that was located a little southeast of Henrietta. It was named by James Richardson Allen for the county seat of Prince Edward County, Virginia, the place of his birth. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, January 24, 1934; Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fire Creek
Description:Rises in northern Knoxville Township flows south, and empties into Crooked River. The origin of the name was not ascertained. Evidently an Anglicized form of the French Riviere du Feu, found on the 1802 map of Perrin du Lac, which seems to be applied to Crooked River. This may be a transferred name from Prairie du Feu or Fire Prairie in Lafayette County, which lies across the Missouri River just opposite its mouth. (Map 1930)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fish Island
Description:See Fishing River Island.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fitch School
Description:In south- central Richmond Township. Named for the landowner, William H. Fitch. (Fitch)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fleming
Description:A coal-mining town in eastern Camden Township. Named for Alfred Walton Fleming of St. Louis, who bought the land and operated the coal mines. (Conard Vol. 2, 472; Postal Guide 1889-1904; Hamilton; R.K. Green)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Floyd
Description:A community center consisting of the A.T. & S. Fe Station a store and a few houses in Orrick Township. One mile south of Orrick. The place was laid out as a town by the Santa Fe Land Company in 1888 and named Alfrew. It was probably named for Alfred Fleming, who was interested in coal mines in this section of the country. Later the name was changed to Floyd for a Mr. Floyd, a lawyer for the Santa Fe Railroad. (Map 1930; Thomas Cooper; Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Foote Station
Description:A flag station on the A.T. and Santa Fe Railroad one and a half miles west of Rayville. Named for John David Foote, a railroad official. (ATLAS RAY 1877; R.K. Green)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fox
Description:See Russellville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fredericksburg
Description:An old town plotted in 1835 in northwestern Fishing River Township. Mr. Estes who plotted the town was a native of Kentucky. His daughters think his ancestors came from Virginia and that possibly he named the town for Fredericksburg, Virginia. (RAY COUNTY PLOT BOOK 1835; RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, November 24, 1933, 6; Mrs. Campbell)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fredonia
Description:A town laid out in 1869 by Emilius Wood on the Richmond to Lexington road north of the present Henrietta. It was planned as a negro town but it was never developed. In the last years of the eighteenth century, Dr. Samuel Latham Mitchell (1764-1831), a prominent citizen of New York City, proposed this name as one appropriate to the whole United States. Of the short form Fredon he states "the etymology of this is obvious and agreeable: it may mean a free gift; or anything done freely; or the land of the free priveleges and doings." From Fredon he formed the word Fredonia as "one which sounds and pronounces to great advantage." His proposal received considerable attention. The name is a popular one: it is found in sixteen states. The promoters of this town doubtless thought it an appropriate name for a place which was to be a gift to the freed negroes. (Hamilton; AMER. SP. Vol. 9, 12; Vol. II, 187)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Friendship Church
Description:A Disciples of Christ church four miles southwest of Richmond. It was founded as a Union church and was therefore a church of friendhship. (Joseph A. Brown; Mrs. Jennie Mason)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Frog Eye
Description:See Mineral City.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fulton
Description:Walter B. Stevens' statement in Missouri: The Centre State: "Fulton was the first county seat of Ray County, but at a very early date Richmond was chosen," is very probably a mistake. Other writers say Bluffton was the first county seat. No other authority mentions a Fulton in Ray County, and no resident interviewed ever heard of the place. (Stevens 1915 Vol. II, 771)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Georgeville
Description:An old town in northwestern Grape Grove Township. Named for pioneer settlers in that part of the township. (Postal Guide 1876-1904; Shirkey)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Golf Hill
Description:A residential section of Excelsior Springs built on the hill where the golf course on the country club is located. The Ray-Clay county line divided the hill from the main part of the town. (W.A. Cravens)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Graham School
Description:In east-central Polk Township. Named for a pioneer family. (Mrs. Holman)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Grange Store
Description:See Mineral City
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Grape Grove
Description:A map of 1850 shows this name as a place in central Grape Grove Township. Obviously named for the township. There is no town or settlement of that name today. (Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Grape Grove Township
Description:Is the southeastern Township. It was formed in 1838, and received its name from the many groves of wild grapes. (Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Greenwood School
Description:In northeastern Knoxville Township. A name descriptive of the location. (Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hall School
Description:In northwestern Orrick Township. Named for the landowner. (Dr. Sheetz)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hallard
Description:See Rayville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Haller
Description:See Rayville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hallsville
Description:A former community center three miles west of Orrick which consisted of a store and a few other buildings. It was named for the storekeeper. There was evidences of oil at the place and it was sometimes called Oil City. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN January 16, 1930, 6; Dr. Sheetz)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hamilton Heights
Description:A town plotted in 1912 in southeastern Richmond Township, two and a quarter miles north of Lexington Junction. It was never developed to any extent. Named for the rolling ground upon which it was plotted and for the founder, A.P. Hamilton. (Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hannah School
Description:In southeastern Fishing River Township. Named for a pioneer family in Virginia. (Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hardin
Description:A town in central Crooked River Township. It was laid out in 1868 and named for a prominent Missouri democrat of Mexico, Missouri, Charles Hardin (1820-1892). In 1874 he was elected Governor of Missouri. (Conrad 1901 Vol. III, 171; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Heisinger Lake
Description:A lake in the northeastern Crooked River Township. Named for the owner. (ATLAS RAY 1877; Happy)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Henrietta
Description:A town and railroad junction of the A.T. and Santa Fe Railroad in southern Richmond Township between Richmond and Lexington. This is a little town that has had many names. It was laid off in 1868 by Charles A. Watkins and named for his wife, Henrietta. The government at Washington abbreviated Henrietta to Henry for the post office name, and the name of Lexington Junction was given to the station. The railroad also listed the place as R. and L. Junction. (Richmond, Lexington). Since about 1900 all names have been absorbed into Henrietta. (Postal Guide 1876-1904; Goodrich; Buchanan)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Henry
Description:See Henrietta
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hickory Grove Church
Description:In Crooked River Township. A union church built in 1876 and named from its location in a hickory grove. (Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hill School
Description:In east- central Richmond Township. Named for James S. Hill, a native of Tennessee who owned the land site. (Mrs. Hunt)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Home Place
Description:A district one mile north of Richmond. It was platted by James Ferris and given an ideal name. (Hamilton; Ferris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:House of Prayer
Description:A defunct church of the Disciples of Christ which was organized in 1875 in west-central Knoxville Township. An ideal name. (HIST. RAY 1881, 337; Reverend Miller)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hughes Landing
Description:An early day landing on the Missouri River in Crooked River Township. Dr. Berry Hughes owned a warehouse at the place. On a map of 1865 the name is written Hughes L. (Parker 1865; Map; McGinnis)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hunt School
Description:In west- central Knoxville Township. Named for the landowner, John Hunt. (Klemel)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Jack's Ferry
Description:A ferry run by a William Jacks on the Missouri River near the present town of Lexington. It was established sometime prior to 1827. (HISTORY OF RAY 1881, 384)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Jackson School
Description:In northwestern Fishing River Township. Named for the first school teacher. (R.K. Green)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kansas City and Cameron Railroad
Description:See Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Keeney Branch
Description:Rises in southern Fishing River Township, flows south and empties into the Missouri River. Named for a pioneer family who lived on the stream in Orrick Township. (Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kilgoer Lake
Description:A lake in eastern Crooked River Township. Named for the landowner. (ATLAS RAY 1877; R.K. Green)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:King School
Description:A former school two miles south of Richmond, now consolidated with the town district. Named for Austin A. King (1801-1870), who owned land in the district. In 1848 Mr. King was elected Governor of Missouri. (Conard 1901, Vol. III, 537; W.C. Williams)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Knoxville
Description:A town in central Knoxville Township. The place was settled sometime prior to 1845. It was first called Buncombe for a county of that name in the western part of North Carolina, which had been named for a Colonel Edward Buncombe of the Revolutionary War. The name was soon changed to Knoxville by settlers who came in from Tennessee and desired the name of the capitol of their native state. (Colton 1845; RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, January 9, 1930, 8)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Knoxville Township
Description:The north-central Township. It was formed in 1841 and was named for the largest town of the Township. (Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lake Superior, Kansas City and Gulf
Description:See Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lakeview
Description:A post office from 1895 to 1904 on Lake Heisinger in northeastern Crooked River Township. The name is a descriptive one. (Postal Guide 1895-1902; Elliott)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lawson
Description:A town in the eastern part of Polk Township. It was laid out in 1870 by the St. Joseph Land Company, and was named in honor of L.M. Lawson, of the New York Banking House of Donnell, Lawson, and Company. (Postal Guide 1886 ff; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lexington Junction
Description:See Henrietta
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lick Creek
Description:A short stream which rises in west-central Fishing River Township, flows south, and empties into Fishing River. It was named from the salt licks along the stream. (ATLAS RAY 1877, 47; R.K. Green)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Linville School
Description:A discontinued school of Knoxville Township. Named for Thomas Linville, landowner and a native of Tennessee. (Macey; Klemel)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lisbonville
Description:A former town in northern Polk Township which grew up around Allen's Mill. It began to decline when Elmira was laid out in 1887. A post office was maintained from 1876-1887. Doubtless it is ultimately connected with Lisbon, the capitol of Portugal; it may have been borrowed directly from one of the eighteen or more Lisbons in the United States. Chickenbristle was a nickname applied to the place, but no one interviewed knew why it was thus designated. (Postal Guide 1876, 86, 87; Manso)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Little Brick School
Description:In east-central Crooked River Township. Named from the size and material of the building. (Happy)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Little Creek
Description:See West Fork of Crooked River.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Little River
Description:See Crooked River
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Little Union Church
Description:A little neighborhood church known as Little Union in northwestern Grape Grove Township. (Mansur)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Little Union School
Description:In northwestern Grape Grove Township. Named from Little Union Church (q.v.). (Mansur)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Louella
Description:A former post office in northern Grape Grove Township. The postal department at Washington sent a list of names to the local community and from that list Louella was chosen. (Postal Guide 1891-1902; Mrs. Farbaugh)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Loyd School
Description:In southwestern Knoxville Township. Named for Mat Loyd, an old settler, who lived near the school. (Mrs. Albright)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Magill School
Description:In west-central Richmond Township. Named for William Magill, who donated the land for school purposes. (Magill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Mallory School
Description:In southeastern Crooked River Township. Named for the landowner. (Happy)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Mansur School
Description:In Grape Grove Township, a short distance northeast of Millville. Named for the landowner, Isaiah Mansur. (Frazier)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Marion Church
Description:A Primitive Baptist Church in south-central Knoxville Township, near the town of Knoxville. When the church was established more than a hundred years ago, the township was known as Marion, and the name was taken from the township. (q.v.). (J.A. Clark)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Marion School
Description:In south-central Knoxville Township. It was named from the nearby Marion Church. (J.A. Clark)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Marion Township
Description:In 1832 a part of northern Ray County was called Marion Township. The name was probably given in honor of the Revolutionary General, Francis D. Marion (1732-1795). (Ewing, theses, 101; J.A. Clark)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:McDonald Branch
Description:Rises in south-central Knoxville Township, flows south, and empties into Middle Fork of Crooked River. Named for Jeremiah McDonald, who owned a large tract of land near the stream. (Cates)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Millville
Description:A town in southeastern Grape Grove Township. It was laid out in 1873 by Robert Mitchell and John McGaugh, and named from the mill which was run by the former. Mr. McGaugh was nicknamed Buck Snort; and this name was sometimes applied to the town. (Colton 1845; Postal Guide 1876-1904; Eaton; Shirkey)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Mineral City
Description:A town platted in 1912, twelve miles north of Richmond. It was never developed to any extent. The name was given because of the mineral springs which had been discovered there. That community had been known by several names: Grange Store, Frog Eye and Tiffin Bridge Neighborhood. The farmers political organization The Grange had a store at the place, the ground was higher than the surrounding ground, prominent like a frog eye, and over Crooked River was a bridge built from lumber from E.P. Tiffin's farm. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, January 9, 1930; 8; Judge Hill; Hamilton; Mrs. Albright)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Missouri River
Description:The Missouri River forms the western and southern boundary of Platte, the southern boundary of Clay and Ray, and the northern boundary of Jackson and Lafayette. Phil E. Chappell, an historian of the Missouri River, offers the opinion of various authorities to support his statement: "There is but little doubt that had the Missouri River been discovered before the Mississippi the name of the latter would have applied to both streams, and the Missouri would have been considered the main stream and the upper Mississippi the tributary." The latest and best authorities on the origin of the name state that the name for the river arose from the fact that a tribe of Indians known as Missouris inhabitated the country at the mouth of the river; that is, near St. Louis. Allen Walker Read writes in regard to the meaning of the word: "The word Missouri is of Indian origin, said to mean "the town of the large canoes," and came into the English language by way of the transliteration of French explorers." Indians, who used other types of canoes from the Missouris tribe, first used the word, or a form of the word. The popular idea that the word means "muddy water" arose from the word Pekitanoui, and Indian word meaning muddy water and given by Marquette to the river. Various have been the pronunications of this word, and caustic pronunciations indicated have been taken from Mr. Read's summary of the defensible pronunciations based upon Missouri usage. For an exhaustive study see Mr. Read's study. (Chappell, HISTORY OF THE MISSOURI RIVER, 1; Read, PRONUNCIATION OF THE WORD MISSOURI, p. 22 ff.; MISSOURI HISTORICAL REVIEW, Vol. 17, 231, 377, 8)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Missouri Valley School
Description:In southwestern Camden Township. Named from its location. (Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Mitchell's Mill
Description:See Millville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Morris Hill Baptist Church
Description:A former church in Knoxville Township, two miles northeast of Knoxville. Named for the Morris family, on whose farm the church was located. (Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Morton
Description:A community center in northern Crooked River Township consisting of a church and blacksmith shop. Named for the landowner, Morton, sometime before 1865. Before that time it was known as Shaw's Shop for William P. Shaw, who owned a blacksmith shop there. (Parker 1865, map: Postal Guide 1876-1904; McGinnis; Mayfield)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Mount Pleasant
Description:This is evidently an early name for Tinney Grove. A plat was filed in 1838 for a town of this name. The 1881 HIST. RAY County describes Tinney Grove under the following heading: "Tinney's Grove Post Office--Mt. Pleasant." The RICHMOND MISSOURIAN January 30, 1930, states that the history of the place is in the past and that it was evidently the same as Tinny Grove. The name is obviously one of approbation. Tinney Grove is on high ground. (PLAT BOOK: HIST. RAY 1881, 456; RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, January 30, 1930, 6; Frazier)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Muddy Creek
Description:Rises in northern Grape Grove Township, flows northeast, and empties into Cottonwood Creek. The creek flows through a low flat prairie section and every rain makes the stream muddy. (Cates; Coffman)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Murray School
Description:In southeastern Polk Township. Named for R.A. Murray, a landowner who lived near the school. (Miss Murray)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:New Garden
Description:The government postal guide of 1876 lists New Garden as a post office. Evidently the name was derived from the New Garden Church (q.v.). (Postal Guide 1876)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:New Garden Church
Description:A Baptist Church in northwestern Fishing River Township. It was organized in 1820 or 1821. Eaton tells a little incident to account for the name. Near the site of the present church a caravan camped for the night. One of the children of the party, wandered away and was later found in a bed of flowers dead from hunger and exhaustion. A church was founded on the site of the place where the child was found, and called New Garden. This story was corroborated in the county. (R.K. Green; C.A. Brown; Eaton; Mayes)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:New Garden School
Description:Named for New Garden Church (q.v.). (R.K. Green)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:New Hope Baptist Church
Description:In Camden Township, four miles north of Camden. This church, the oldest one in the county, was organized in 1820 or 1821, and named North Bluffton Church, probably from the nearby North Bluffton (q.v.). In 1846 the church was given the ideal name, New Hope. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, December 5, 1929, 11, C.A. Brown)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:New Salem Church
Description:A Presbyterian Church organized in 1849 on Crooked River. In 1872 the congregation erected a building in Lawson. Salem, a word meaning peace, was applied to Jerusalem in Psa. 76, 2. (HIST. RAY, 1881, 333)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Nichols School
Description:See Sunny Side
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:North Bluffton
Description:A fort built in 1817 southeast of present Camden by early settlers to be used for protection against the Indians. A history of 1881 describes the place: "A circular enclosure, made by setting cottonwood posts in the earth formed the stockade, and in the center of this was a block-house, made of heavy timber, and provided with loopholes. The fort was called North Bluffton, and was the first village founded in Missouri Territory west of Grand and north of the Missouri River. It stood close to the river bank, but the stream has long since changed its channel, and the site of North Bluffton is overgrown with trees and herbage." The name is a descriptive one. (HIST. RAY 1881, 209)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:North Bluffton Church
Description:See New Hope Baptist Church
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:North Lexington
Description:A former town in southeastern Richmond Township, across the Missouri River from Lexington. During the decade from 1870 to 1880 it was practically washed away by the changing course of the river. (McGinnis)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Nutter School
Description:In east- central Richmond Township. Named for the landowner, Benjamin T. Nutter, a native of Kentucky. (Nutter)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:In south-central Crooked River Township. Named for the shrub oak grove in which the building is located. (Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ogg School
Description:In east- central Fishing River Township. This is one of the oldest schools in the county. It was named for Thomas Jeptha Ogg, landonwer and miller. (Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ogg's Branch
Description:Rises one and a half miles east of Elkhorn, flows south, and empties into the Missouri River. Named for Thomas Jeptha Ogg, who came to Missouri from Kentucky, and settled on this branch at an early date. (HIST. RAY 1881, 597; Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ogg's Mill
Description:An early day mill in Fishing River Township, 1/4 mile east of the present Off School. It was operated by Thomas Jeptha Ogg, and his partner, Allan Toll. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN, June 11, 1931, 6; Mrs. Clevenger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Orrick
Description:A town in central Orrick Township. It was laid off in 1869 by the Northern Missouri Railroad and named for a railroad official, W.W. Orrick of St. Charles, Missouri. (Postal Guide 1876 ff.; HIST. RAY 1881, 452; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Orrick Township
Description:Is the southwestern Township. It was formed in 1886 and was named from the town of the same name (q.v.). (Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Orton
Description:The government official postal guide for 1900 lists this name for Ray County. The post office could not be located, and the name was used in only the one postal guide. Probably a misprint of the Ray County name, Morton. (Postal Guide 1900)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Otsego
Description:Hayward 1853 lists this name as a post office. In 1867 a map shows it in the center part of the northwestern section of the county. Nothing further could be learned about it. The name is found in New York, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin, and is evidently of Indian origin. (Hayward 1853)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ovid
Description:A community settlement consisting of a store, a blacksmith's shop, and a few residences. There was a post office at the place from 1889 to 1904. The name was selected in Washington from a list sent by the local residents for a post office name. (Postal Guide 1889- 1904; Mrs. Burnett)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Patton School
Description:In northwestern Richmond Township. Named for a pioneer family. (Miss Patton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pedee Branch
Description:A short southern flowing tributary of Wakenda Creek in Grape Grove Township. The origin of the name was not ascertained. It is not known as a local name. It may have come direct from the Pedee tribe of Indians, or as a borrowed name. Hodge writes of a Pedee tribe: "A small tribe, probably Siouan, formerly living on the middle course of Pedee River, South Carolina." (ATLAS RAY 1877; Hodge, Vol. I, 222)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Petree School
Description:In northwestern Grape Grove Township. Named for a prominent family of the district. (Mrs. Smith)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pigg School
Description:In Orrick Township. Named for a pioneer family who owned the land. (Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Piggsville
Description:The RICHMOND MISSOURIAN of January 1, 1930, quotes from the RICHMOND CONSERVATOR of April 27, 1867 to the effect that this town was situated on Fishing River at the crossing of Jefferson, Pigg, "who was well known along that line of travel as a generous and whole-souled landlord." There is no evidence of a town today. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN January 16, 1930, 6; Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pisgah Baptist Church
Description:In Fishing River Township, three miles east of Excelsior Springs. The building is standing, but the congregation has disbanded. Pisgah was the mountain from which Moses viewed the Holy Land. (Dt. 3, 27). (Reverend Davis; Dr. Glascock)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:In central Grape Grove Township. A name descriptive of the location. (Frazier)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pleasant Valley Chapel
Description:A Christian Union Church seven miles north of Richmond. It was organized in 1877, and given a name descriptive of its location. (HIST. RAY 1881, 339; Frazier)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:In south-central Knoxville Township. The school is located in a pleasant valley of the West Fork of Crooked River. (Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pleasant View
Description:A town in the northwestern section of the county. The 1881 HIST. RAY County states that the town was at that time no longer in existence. It had been laid out in 1857 by a German named Isaac Bery "on a beautiful tract of high, rolling prairie land." (Goodwin 1887; HIST. RAY 1881, 456)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Polk Township
Description:Is the northwestern Township. It was formed in 1845 and named in honor of James K. Polk (1795-1849), who became President of the United States in that year. (Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pomeroy's Ferry
Description:A ferry on the Missouri River in the center part of the southern line of the county. Probably named for the owner. (Map 1855)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Possum Bend
Description:See Sunshine
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Prairie Valley School
Description:In southwestern Crooked River Township. A name descriptive of the location. (Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Prospect Hill
Description:A post office in 1853 in the east-central part of the county near the Clay-Ray county line. The origin of the name could not be ascertained. Possibly there had been some prospecting for coal at that place. Ray County has many coal mines and Elmire, a coal mining town, is situated not far northeast of this place. (Hayward 1853; Goodwin 1867)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:R. and L. Junction
Description:See Henrietta
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ray County
Description:This county was originally a part of Howard County. See Lafayette County. It was organized as Ray in 1820 and named in honor of John Ray, a landowner, and one of the delegates to the convention which met in St. Louis in June, 1820, for the purpose of framing a state constitution for Missouri. At the time of the naming of Ray it included all the present counties north of its present boundary, and also present Clay County and all counties lying north of Clay. In 1822 Clay County was organized. It included its present territory and all counties north of it to the Iowa line. In 1836 all territory north of the present north boundary of Ray was set apart as Caldwell County. The county is bounded today by Caldwell County on the north, Carroll on the east, a part of Lafayette and Jackson on the south, and Clay and a part of Clinton on the west. (Williams 1915, Vol. I, 607; HIST. RAY 1881, 215; Ewing, thesis, 56, 66)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rayville
Description:A town in northwestern Richmond Township, on the A.T. and Santa Fe Railroad. It was laid out in 1871 and called Haller for an official of the railroad. Later it was given the name of the county. The RICHMOND MISSOIURIAN of February 27, 1930 quotes from an unamed source to the effect that Rayville was first called Sheridan. This name may have been used but no person interviewed had known the name. Conard states that the post office name was Hallard. No one interviewed knew this name. Evidently the name was confused with Haller. (Postal Guide 1876; PLAT BOOK RAY; RICHMOND MISSOURIAN February 27, 1930; 10; R.K. Green)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Red Brush School
Description:In southern Fishing River Township. Named for the red brush timber. It was for a pioneer family in the district originally, and known then as the Whitten School. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN January 16, 1930, 6; Dr. Sheetz)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Regal
Description:A store in eastern Grape Grove Township. There was a post office at the store from 1900-1904. The postmaster selected the name because it was short and easy to write. (Postal Guide 1900-1904; Elliott; Frazier)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Renfro School
Description:In west-central Grape Grove Township. Named for a pioneer family. (Frazier)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Richmond
Description:The county seat. It was laid out in 1828, and named by settlers from Virginia in honor of the capitol of their native state. (Wetmore 1837; ATLAS RAY 1877, HIST. RAY 1881, 230)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Richmond Township
Description:The center Township. It was formed in 1829, and was named from the town of the same name (q.v.). (Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Riviere du Feu
Description:See Fire Creek
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rock Falls Baptist Church
Description:In south-central Fishing River Township seven miles west of Richmond. In a flat rock place in front of the church is a falls from which the name is derived. (Reverend Davis)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rockingham
Description:A town in southeastern Grape Grove Township. Named by early settlers from Rockingham County, Virginia for their native county. (Postal Guide 1889-1904; Shirkey)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rocky Fork
Description:A stream in western Knoxville Township which flows southwest and empties into Crooked River. An old unamed log school stood where the present Rocky Fork School is located and the stream bore the name Schoolhouse Branch. The stream was in time given the descriptive name Rocky Fork. A new school which was built took the name of the stream. (Kelmel; Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rocky Fork School
Description:In southwestern Knoxville Township. Named derived from the stream on which the school is located, Rocky Fork (q.v.). (Kelmel; Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rollins Creek
Description:A short southern flowing stream in Orrick Township. Named for a pioneer family. (Map 1930; Remley; Bailey)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rose Valley School
Description:In Grape Grove Township. Named from the many wild roses in the valley east of the school. The school was established in 1860 and originally bore the name Toomay for a prominent pioneer family. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN December 5, 1929, 11; Keller)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Russellville
Description:A town in the center part of the eastern section of Grape Grove Township. It was named for William Russell, a native of Virginia and pioneer of this section of the country. The post office name is Fox, and local people think the name was given by the Postal Department in Washington. (Postal Guide 1876-1904; HIST. RAY 1881, 455; Shirkey; Frazier)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sandals
Description:An old store and post office one mile north and four miles west of Knoxville. There is nothing there today. The post office was established in 1889 and discontinued in 1902. The name was derived from Sandal's sawmill. (Postal Guide 1889-1902; RICHMOND MISSOURIAN January 16, 1930; 6; R.K. Green; Elliott)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sandals Sawmill
Description:See Sandals
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sanderson School
Description:In west-central Richmond Township. Named for the landowner, William Sanderson. (Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sauk Prairie
Description:A prairie near the mouth of the present Crooked River. The Lewis and Clark Journal has this entry as the explorers were near Crooked River, June 20, 1804: "...passed a large and beautiful prairie called Sauk prairie..." Obviously the name came from the Sauk Indians, one of the Algonquian tribes. (Coues LEWIS AND CLARK, Vol. I, 28; Hodge, Vol. II, 471)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Schoolhouse Branch
Description:See Rocky Fork
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Scott School
Description:In northeastern Fishing River Township. Named for the landowner. (R.K. Green)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Shackleford Branch
Description:Rises in central Fishing River Township, flows southwest, and empties into Fishing River. Named for two brothers John and Jim Shackleford, showmen and owners of land along the stream. (ATLAS RAY 1914; Thomas Cooper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Shaw's Shop
Description:See Morton
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sheridan
Description:See Rayville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sisk's Mill
Description:An old steam mill in Fishing River Township opened sometime prior to the Civil War. It was operated by Allen and Barton Sisk. There was a post office at the place from 1886-1897. (Postal Guide 1886-1897; Dr. Glasscock)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Slipup
Description:A town that was located about four miles northeast of Lawson. The town which was situated on a rolling high hill was originally known as Pleasant View. After 1870 when Lawson was laid out on the A.T. and Santa Fe Railroad business in Pleasant View began to diminish and the mocking name Slipup was given to the town. There is no evidence of a town today. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN February 13, 1939, Lebold)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:South Point Church
Description:A Christian Church in Camden Township. It was organized sometime prior to 1881, and the name given was descriptive of the land upon which the building was located. (HIST. RAY 1881, 328; Miss Milligan)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Cloud Springs
Description:In 1881 a town was laid out at a mineral springs two and a half miles northwest of Richmond and named St. Cloud Springs. At the present time there is nothing left but the springs. It was probably named for the famous French Park of St. Cloud, which is situated at the southwestern edge of the town St. Cloud. The town, which is on the western bank of the Seine, just opposite Paris, owes its origin to a monastery of the sixth century named for its founder St. Clodoald, grandson of Clovis. (Hamilton; Dr. Ramsay)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sulpher Branch
Description:A southeastern flowing stream in Grape Grove Township, a tributary of Wakenda Creek. It is fed by a sulpher springs. (ATLAS RAY 1877; Coffman)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sunny Side
Description:In east- central Fishing River Township. The school was originally known as the Nichols School for Samuel Nichols, landowner. About 1900 the school name was changed to one descriptive of its location which was on the south side of a slope. (W.A. Cravens)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sunshine
Description:A district within a bend of the Missouri River in Camden Township. Originally it was a timbered district and called Possum Bend because there were many opossums in the timber. When the timber was cleared out the name was changed to Sunshine. (Rocklage)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Swanwick
Description:A town in northwestern Richmond Township on the A.T. and Santa Fe Railroad. It was named for Swan Gower, the wife of a railroad official. (Postal Guide 1876-1902; Miss Bernard)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Taitsville
Description:A town in the northeastern corner of Knoxville Township. It was laid out in 1871 by John and James Tait, for whom it was named. (Postal Guide 1876-1904; RICHMOND MISSOURIAN 1935; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Taylor School
Description:In north-central Knoxville Township. Named for Daniel Taylor, landowner and native of Tennessee. (Klemel)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Thompson School
Description:In northwestern Knoxville Township. Named for a local family. (Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Tiffin Bridge Neighborhood
Description:See Mineral City
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Tiger River
Description:See Crooked River
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Timber Ridge School
Description:A country school in northeastern Richmond Township. Named from its location on a timbered ridge. (Mayfield)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Tinney Grove
Description:A town in northeastern Grape Grove Township. William and Nathan Tinney were among the early settlers of the northeastern part of the county. Nathan Tinney settled on the site of the present town in 1840. Written Tinney's Grove on early maps and in Postal Guide 1876-1892. (Hayward 1853; Goodwin 1867; HIST. RAY 1881, 243; Postal Guide 1892-1904)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Tinney's Point School
Description:In northeastern Grape Grove Township. The name is derived from the town, Tinney Grove, and from the fact it is on the highest point in the vicinity. (Miss Davis)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Todd's Chapel
Description:A Methodist Episcopal Church South three miles west of Richmond. It was organized in 1828 and named for the pastor, Reverend Joseph S. Todd. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN June 11, 1931, 6)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Toomay School
Description:See Rose Valley
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Turnage School
Description:In northwestern Richmond Township. Named for Reverend William Turnage, a member of a local pioneer family. (Remley)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Union Baptist Church
Description:Four miles northwest of Orrick in Orrick Township. A Baptist church was organized and then later it was changed to a union church. (Joseph Brown)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Union School
Description:In south-central Polk Township. Named from a nearby Christian Union Church. (Mrs. Smith)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Vanderpool School
Description:A school in Richmond. Named for the landowner, Holland Vanderpool. (Cates)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Vard Davis Sawmill
Description:Was located a few miles west of Knoxville. The proprietor, Mr. Vard Davis, and seven other persons were killed and the mill destroyed in 1861. (RICHMOND MISSOURIAN April 23, 1931, 16)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Vattie
Description:A post office from 1893-1895 in the home of a Mr. Benedict, two and a half miles south of Elkhorn. Named for Vattie Rowland, a daughter of a prominent family of the community. (Postal Guide 1893-1895; McGaugh)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Vibbard
Description:A town in north-central Fishing River Township on the A.T. and Santa Fe Railroad. It was laid out in 1870 and named for one of the sub- contractors of the railroad. (Postal Guide 1876 ff.; Eaton; Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Wabash Railway Company
Description:This railroad was known for many years as the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railroad. It started in the east at Wabash, Indiana. It brought the North Missouri Railroad, a short road serving Kansas City and a part of north Missouri. The road never reached the Pacific. Its western termini are Kansas City, and Omaha, Nebraska. It developed toward the east and Buffalo, New York is the present eastern terminus. (Shine)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railroad
Description:See Wabash Railway Company.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Wahkondah Creek
Description:See Wakenda Creek
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Wakenda Church
Description:A Baptist Church in northern Crooked River Township, located on the Wakenda Creek. It was organized in 1866 and derived its name from the creek. (C.A. Brown)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Wakenda Creek
Description:Rises in northeastern Grape Grove Township, flows southeast, and empties into the Missouri River in southeastern Carroll County. A map of 1822 gives the name as Wahkondah, and Wetmore 1837, Wyaconda. Wetmore explains the origin of the name in the following way: "There was a tradition among the Sioux, which established the belief in the nation that their deity, Wyaconda, had taken up his abode neat the mouth of the stream. The sudden death of two warriors there without any apparent cause produced this impression." Goodwin in 1867 lists a post office in Lafayette County as Walconda. Doubtless this was a form of the present Wakenda, and was situated on or near the stream. (Map 1822; Wetmore 1837, 260; Hodge Vol. II, 897-8)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Walconda
Description:Goodwin lists this name as a post office in 1867. See Wakenda for the probable origin of the name. (Goodwin 1867, 41)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Wallace School
Description:In southwestern Fishing River Township. Named for the landowner. (R.K. Green)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:West Fork of Crooked River
Description:Rises in the west-central part of the county, flows in a general eastern direction and empties into Crooked River a little southeast of the center part of the county. A name of location. It is sometimes spoken of as Little Creek. (Map 1855; Cates; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:White School
Description:In south-central Richmond Township. Named for the landowner, John D. White. (White)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Whitten School
Description:See Red Brush School
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Willow Creek
Description:Originally this was an artificial stream. An old lake in southern Richmond Township was drained into the Missouri River and the drainage was called Discharge. In time willows grew along the stream and it became known as Willow Creek. (Galle; Joseph Brown)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Wilmott
Description:A post office in northern Grape Grove Township from 1886 to 1888. It was named for the man on whose farm it was located, A. Wilmott Bowen. (Postal Guide 1886-1888; Bowen)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Woodson School
Description:A grade school in Richmond which was built on the site of the old Woodson Institute, for which it is named. (Hamilton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Wyaconda Creek
Description:See Wakenda Creek
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names