Randolph County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Anderson School
Description:In Prairie Township. Now consolidated with Renick. Named for William B. Anderson, for many years a teacher in the district. (J.C. Fleming)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Antioch Christian Church
Description:In Union Township, five miles east of Moberly. See above. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 214; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bagby's Creek
Description:In southern Silver Creek Township. Named for a pioneer family who came from Kentucky. (R.R. Correll, C.B. Dysart)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bagby's Mill
Description:One of the oldest mills in the county, built about 1830 on Sweet Spring Creek near the old plank road between Huntsville and Glasgow. Before the Civil War it was an important trading point. It remained standing until a few years ago. Named for William Bagby, who with Sam Davis operated it. (R.R. Correll, C.B. Dysart)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Baker's Branch
Description:In Chariton Township, a tributary of Dark Creek. Named for a pioneer settler here. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 126; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bee Trace
Description:An old north-south road in eastern Randolph County, along the divide. So called because many of the travelers along the road often went hunting for wild honey, a profitable pursuit in pioneer days. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 156; E.M. Richmond; T.J. Terrill)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Benton School
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named for a pioneer settler. (Mrs. F.M. Stamper)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bernsburg
Description:See Bournesburg.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Berthaville
Description:A post office in Chariton Township, established in 1886 and discontinued in 1893. Named by the postmaster, A.T. Doyle, for a neighbor's daughter. (W.O. Doyle)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Bonne Femme River
Description:See Bonne Femme Creek
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blairs
Description:See Shafton
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bonne Femme Creek
Description:Rises in southern Randolph County and flows through Howard County into the Missouri River. To be distinguished from the smaller Bonne Femme Creek which empties into the Missouri River in Callaway County. Lewis in his "Summary View of Rivers and Creeks," written in 1804, distinguishes the two by calling the lower and smaller one Goodwoman's Creek and this one Goodwoman's River (Thwaites VI, 29 f), Beck (p. 260), names this stream Big Bonne Femme River. The name is one of the oldest French names in the state, and its ultimate origin is unexplained. The words, of course, mean "good woman," but why the two streams were so called remains a mystery. We may compare such equally early French names as Bonhomme Creek in St. Louis County and Femme Osage River in St. Charles County. A ridiculous but typical legend invented to explain this name tells of a pioneer's wife named Euphamia, Famie for short, and a starving Indian who asked her for "a bone, Famie;" this is worth repeating only as indicating the early pronunication. (JEFFERSON CITY TRIBUNE, December 1, 1869, Thwaites JOURNALS, VI, 29; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bournesburg
Description:A country store in southern Moniteau Township, one mile west of Higbee, operated before and during the Civil War by John Bourne, large landowner of the county. Misspelt Bernsburg and Beurnsburg on earliest maps. Conard (III, 240) erroneously states this was the old name for Higbee and misnames it Bournsville. (Maps 1844-1870; Mrs. Mary Susan Dysart)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bournsville
Description:See Bournesburg
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Breckenridge
Description:An abandoned coal mine nine miles northwest of Huntsville. Named for John B. Breckenridge, the operator. (Campbell, 469; A.R. Hammett, M. Lilly)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brooks School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for an early settler. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:In Chariton Township, a branch of Middle Fork. See above. (M.J. Lilly)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek School
Description:In Chariton Township. Named from its location on Brush Creek (q.v.). (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Burton School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for a prominent man of the district. (Mrs. F.M. Stamper)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cairo
Description:A village in Cairo Township. Settled in 1858 and first named Fairview, from its pleasant location. Because of another post office by the same name, the name was changed to Cairo, possibly for Cairo, Illinois, a suggestion of Thomas Dameron, the first postmaster. (Campbell, 469, HIST. RANDOLPH, 147; M.M. Lilly, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cairo Township
Description:In the north-central part of the county. Named from Cairo (q.v.), the principal settlement within its limits. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 146; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Camp
Description:See McMullen
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Camp McMullen
Description:See McMullen
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chapel Grove Methodist Church
Description:In Prairie Township. Organized about 1869; now a part of the Clark organization. The name is descriptive of the location. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 353; T.R. Morris)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chapel Grove School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named from Chapel Grove Methodist Church (q.v.). (T.R. Morris)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chariton Township
Description:In the northwestern corner of the county. Organized in 1832, originally a part of Salt River Township. Named from the Chariton Township, the Middle Fork of which crosses it. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 150)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clark
Description:A village in Prairie Township. Known originally as Clark's Switch, because it was located at the crossing point of the Wabash with the St. Louis, Kansas City and Northwestern Railroad. The post office was at first named Perche, from Perche Creek (q.v.), which heads nearby. Upon application in 1885 by S.P. Hulen, the name was changed to Clark, from John B. Clark (1831-1903), congressman from the district. Various maps spell it Clarke and Clarke Station. (S.P. Hulen, T.R. Morris)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clarke's Station
Description:See Clark
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clifton
Description:See Clifton Hill
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clifton Hill
Description:A town in Clifton Township, laid out in 1866 and named for Judge David Clifton, owner of the town site, and also from its location on a hill. The name of the railroad station is simplified to Clifton. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 149; J.D. Hammett, Porter Mayo)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clifton Township
Description:In the west-central part of the county. Named for Judge David Clifton, an early settler from Owen County, Kentucky, prominent in the township. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 147-50; R.R. Correll, Porter Mayo, T.R. Mayo)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coal Creek
Description:In Moniteau Township, a branch of Silver Creek. See above. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Collier Branch
Description:A tributary of Sugar Creek in Prairie Township. Named for J.M. Collier, an early settler and landowner. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cottage Grove School
Description:In Union Township. An attractive little building located in a grove; hence its name. (W.T. Nise, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coy Branch
Description:In Prairie Township, a branch of Coon Creek, named for an early settler in the neighborhood. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 162; W.T. Nise)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crisman School
Description:In Chariton Township. Named for Judge Austin Crisman from Virginia, on whose land the building was located. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dark Creek
Description:In Clifton, Salt Spring, and Chariton Townships, a branch of the East Fork of Chariton River. Said to have been named in 1821 by William Elliott, who, overtaken by night while hunting in the vicinity, camped on the banks. He is said to have remarked that it was the darkest night he had ever seen, and to have called it, therefore, Dark Creek. This may be a later invention, and the name may be a personal one, especially since the adjoining Dark's Prairie (q.v.) is always written with the possessive ending. Perhaps the name should be considered a "contamination" of personal and descriptive. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 151; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dark's Prairie
Description:An expanse of rich, level land in Chariton Township, drained by Dark Creek (q.v.). Hence the name. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 150-3; M. Lilly, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Darksville
Description:A village and discontinued post office in Chariton Township. Settled in 1856 and named from Dark Creek (q.v.). The name Dornsville, evidently an error in printing, is found on maps for 1866, 1871, and 1895. (Postal Guide 1870-1904; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dornsville
Description:See Darksville
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dover Baptist Church
Description:In Prairie Township. See above. Formerly called Turner's Prairie, from a pioneer family and its location in a prairie county. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 1920, 160, 213; 1884, 350; J.C. Fleming, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dover Christian Church
Description:In Moniteau Township. Organized in 1845 and later removed to Higbee. See above. (HISTORY OF RANDOLPH AND MACON, 356; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dover School
Description:In Moniteau Township. Named from the Dover Christian Church (q.v.). (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Duncanville
Description:A trading-point in Prairie Township. Named for the proprietress, Mrs. Ella Duncan. (RAND MC NALLY ATLAS; C.R. Davis)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eads Chapel Methodist Church
Description:In Jackson Township, four miles west of Jacksonville. Said by informants to have been named for the donor of the site. (E.Y. Keiter, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:East Fork of Chariton River
Description:Rises in Jackson Township, flowing south and west into Chariton County. A name descriptive of its location. (RANDOLPH ATLAS 1876)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ebenezer Baptist Church
Description:In western Moniteau Township; now defunct, most of the members having removed to Higbee. See above. (E.M. Richmond, T.J. Terrill)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ebenezer School
Description:In western Moniteau Township. Named from Ebenezer Baptist Church (q.v.). (T.J. Terrill)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Edward School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for William Edwards, pioneer, on whose land it was located. (J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Edwards Creek
Description:A tributary of Big Creek, in Prairie Township. Named for William Edwards, early settler. (E.Y. Keiter, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Edwardville
Description:A discontinued store and post office in northwestern Prairie Township. Named for William Edwards, who ran it. Edwards on map of 1866; Edwardsville in Wetmore's GAZETTEER (p. 275) (J.B. Hubbard)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eldad Presbyterian Church
Description:In Chariton Township, eleven miles northwest of Huntsville. A Bible name (NUM. 11:26) meaning "God has loved." (HISTORY OF RANDOLPH AND MACON, 143; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elliott
Description:An abandoned mining settlement and post office (1886-1918) in Moniteau Township, on the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad. Named for a railroad official, John B. Elliott of Boonville. Also named Elliott Station on various maps. (Maps 1886 f.; J.C. Fleming, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elliott Station
Description:See Elliott
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Enon Baptist Church
Description:In Union Township, about four miles southwest of Moberly; organized in 1872. See Eanon Baptist Church. (HISTORY OF RANDOLPH AND MACON, 353; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Evansville School
Description:In Union Township. Named from the town in Monroe County about one mile east. (W.T. Nise)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview
Description:See Cairo
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview Christian Church
Description:In Moniteau Township, near Higbee. A not very appropriate descriptive name, since it is in wooded land. A branch of the organization withdrew and named itself Fairview Church of Christ. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview Church of Christ
Description:See Fairview Christian Church
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:In Prairie Township. A name descriptive of the location. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Felps Chapel Presbyterian Church
Description:In Salt River Township, ten miles east of Cairo. Organized in 1902 and named for Judge Harris Felps, who gave land for the site. (SYNOD OF MISSOURI, 68; W.S. Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Felps School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for Judge Harris Felps, on whose land it is located. (W.T. Nise, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Firth
Description:A settlement, now almost abandoned, in Union Township. Begun in 1836 by James B. Dameron and named Milton for his hometown, Milton, Caswell County, North Carolina. The name was changed later to Firth because of another Milton post office in the state (Atchison County). Named for William Firth, a Moberly postmaster. (HAYWARD, 826, HIST. RANDOLPH, 162, Maps 1844-1876; 1886; E.M. Richmond, J.W. Wight)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flat Creek
Description:Rises in Cairo Township, Randolph County, crossing the northern corner of Union Township into Marion Township, Monroe County. A branch of the Middle Fork of Salt River; so named because it is subject to overflowing. (HISTORY OF RANDOLPH, 147; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Forest Park
Description:See Rothwell Park
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fort Henry
Description:A discontinued post office in Salt Spring Township, four miles northwest of Huntsville. Settled more than eighty years ago and named by reversing the names of Dr. Henry Fort, an early settler and businessman from Tennessee. (GOODWIN, 16; J.D. Hammett, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fort Henry School
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named from the discontinued post office (q.v.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Four Mile Prairie
Description:A discontinued post office in Sugar Creek Township, northeast of Moberly. Named from its location on prairie which at this place is about four miles in width. (Wetmore, 275; T.R. Mayo)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Galbreath's Creek
Description:Rises in Prairie Township, Randolph County, flowing east into Union Township, Monroe County. Named for a pioneer settler here. (W.T. Nise, T.J. Terrell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gill School
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named for Fisher Gill, on whose land it is located. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Good Hope Baptist Church
Description:In Chariton Township, west of Grand Center. Organized in 1871. An ideal name. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 214; J.C. Fleming)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goodwoman's River
Description:See Bonne Femme Creek
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grand Center
Description:A store and discontinued post office (1892-1904), in Chariton Township. So named because it is centrally located in a good farming district, also at cross roads. (Maps, 1906 f.; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grand Prairie Presbyterian Church
Description:In Cairo Township, two miles northwest of Cairo. Organized in 1863 and named from its location on the Grand Prairie (q.v.). (SYNOD OF MISSOURI, 81; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grimes School
Description:In Sugar Creek Township. Named for Leonard Grimes, pioneer, on whose land it is located. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gun Creek
Description:In Chariton and Jackson Townships, a branch of East Fork of Chariton River. Named for Sterling Gun, early settler here. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gun Lake
Description:In Clifton Township, southwest of Clifton Hill. Drained in 1870, but once it covered about forty acres. Named for the owner of the land, a pioneer settler. (Porter Mayo, T.R. Mayo)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hagar Chapel Union Church
Description:In Sugar Creek Township, an organization of Baptists and Methodists. Named for Levi Hagar, donor of the site. (J.C. Fleming, Mrs. C.W. Hagar)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hagar School
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named for a family of the district. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Haines School
Description:In Cairo Township. Named for Finis Haines, pioneer in district. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hamilton School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for Francis Hamilton, pioneer settler of the district. (J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Happy Zion Baptist Church
Description:See Silver Creek Baptist Church
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hardin
Description:A switch on the C. and A. Railroad in Prairie Township. Named for Benjamin Hardin, on whose land it was located. (Map 1885; J.C. Fleming, J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hardister School
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named for a family of the district. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harkes
Description:A coal chute and railroad station in Moniteau Township, now abandoned. Named for William Harkes, general superintendent of the Northern Central Coal Company. Originally named Wilcox, when the mine was opened in 1898, for Henderson D. Wilcox, large landowner and stock-holder in the mining company. The name was changed when Mr. Harkes bought the mine in 1905. (RAND MC NALLY ATLAS; J.C. Fleming, E.Y. Keiter)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Head's Store
Description:See Roanoke
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hell's Half Acre
Description:In Prairie Township, east of Renick, an abandoned store and saloon. So named because of the roughness of the patrons and the many frays that took place there. (C.R. Davis, W.R. Davis)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Grove Baptist Church
Description:In Chariton Township, twelve miles northwest of Huntsville. Named from its original location in a hickory grove. (HISTORY OF RANDOLPH AND MACON, 351; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:In Moniteau Township. See above. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory School
Description:In Chariton Township. Named from its location near a hickory grove. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Higbee
Description:A town in Moniteau Township on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas and the C. and A. Railroad. Settled in 1872 and named for Joseph Higbee, an early settler and prominent citizen of the township. (Mrs. Sue C. Buton, C.B. Dysart, Mrs. Mary Susan Dysart)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Higbee Church
Description:About one mile west of the present site of Higbee; one of the earliest in the county, of Baptist and Christian denominations. Named for Joseph Higbee, who donated land for the site. Now defunct. (Mrs. Sue C. Burton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Highland School
Description:In Salt River Township. See above. (T.J. Terrill)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hill's Crown
Description:A discontinued post office listed in Goodwin's Gazetteer (p. 20), and in the ST. LOUIS GAZETTEER AND BUSINESS DIRECTORY, 1860 (p. 121). Probably a name of location.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hoover Creek
Description:Rises in Jackson Township, crossing the northwestern corner of Salt River Township into Macon County. Probably a family name. Misspelt Hover on 1876 atlas. (W.T. Nise)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hubbard
Description:A rural settlement and post office (1887-1904), in Chariton Township. Named for the proprietor of the store. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Huntsville
Description:The county seat, in Salt Spring Township. Settled in 1829 and made the county seat by a state law of December 4, 1830. Named for Daniel Hunt, one of four donors of the town site. He was a Kentuckian, one of the first settlers in the township. (Hayward, 826, Missouri State Laws, First Session of the 6th General Assembly, HIST. RANDOLPH, 195 f.; J.D. Hammett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:In the north-central part of the county. Named for Hancock Jackson, one of the early settlers of the county. He held a number of county offices and was also elected lieutenant-governor in 1857. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 155; E.Y. Keiter, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jacksonville
Description:A village in Jackson Township. Named from the township (q.v.). Written Jackson Ville on early maps. (Maps 1866 f.; E.Y. Keiter, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johnson's Schoolhouse
Description:See Providence Methodist Church
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kimberly
Description:An abandoned mining settlement and post office (1901-1904), in Salt Spring Township, west of Moberly. Opened up in 1895 and named for Kimberley, South Africa, which had attained world-wide note through its diamond mining boom begun a few decades earlier. The name was probably suggested by Mr. Harrison Jones, of the mining firm of Jones and Davis, and probably accidentally misspelled. The mine was abandoned about 1908. (J.D. Hammett, W.T. Vaughan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Levick's Mill
Description:A post office in Salt River Township, discontinued in 1904. Named for Abram Levick, who operated a saw and grist mill here. Formerly named Pattonsburg, for an early settler by the name of Patton. When the post office was established here, the name was changed there being a Pattonsburg in Davies County. Written Levick Mill on more recent maps. (M.J. Lilly, W.S. Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty Christian Church
Description:In Salt River Township, five miles northwest of Cairo. An ideal name. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:In Chariton Township. An ideal name. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick Creek
Description:In Cairo and Salt River Townships, a branch of Mud Creek. Named from an old deer lick near it. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 161; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Union Baptist Church
Description:In Salt Spring Township, one mile north of Huntsville, now defunct. An ideal name. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 213; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Locust Creek
Description:In Chariton Township, a branch of East Fork of Chariton River. Possibly named for the locust trees along its banks. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 136; C.B. Dysart)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Siding
Description:A railroad sidetrack in Sugar Creek Township, south of Moberly. Used for loading ties from a mill nearby. Named from the fact that the side-track is a mile in length. (Maps 1891-1896; J.C. Fleming, M.J. Lilly)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Magic City
Description:See Moberly
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Martin Branch
Description:In Silver Creek Township, a branch of Sweet Spring Creek. Named for a pioneer settler. (C.B. Dysart, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Matthews School
Description:In Cairo Township. Named for Judge R.S. Matthews, pioneer, on whose land it was located. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McClainsville
Description:A trading point, now out of existence, in Chariton Township, near Jacksonville. Named for the proprietor of the store. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 223; J.D. Hammett, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McDonald
Description:A abandoned coal mine in Moniteau Township, south of Higbee on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad. Named for the operator of the mine. (J.A. Maxwell, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McKinney Branch
Description:In western Salt River Township, a branch of Mud Creek. Named for a pioneer family. (E.M. Richmond, T.J. Terrell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McMullen
Description:A discontinued post office (1886-1889), and coal mining settlement in Prairie Township on the C. and A. Railroad. Named for the owner of the store there. Earlier known simply as Camp, because it was a miner's camp. Variations on maps are Camp McMullin, Camp McMullen, and McMullin. (M.J. Lilly, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Medical Springs
Description:See Randolph Springs
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Middle Fork of Chariton River
Description:In Chariton and Clifton Townships, joining Chariton River in Chariton County. The name is descriptive of the location. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 136)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Midway Baptist Church
Description:In Chariton Township, six miles northwest of Huntsville. So named because of its location midway between Darksville and Huntsville. (MISSOURI BAPTIST BULLETIN, 252; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Milton
Description:See Firth
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Milton School
Description:In Union Township. Named from the post office (q.v.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Moberly
Description:A city in Sugar Creek Township. In 1861 the inhabitants of Allen were asked by the Chariton and Randolph Railroad Company (now a part of the Wabash system), to vacate and locate their intersection with the North Missouri Railroad. Patrick Lynch was the only one to accept an offer of land at the new town, and was, therefore, its first inhabitant. Named for Colonel William E. Moberly, of Brunswick, who was the first president of the Chariton and Randolph Railroad. Early variations in pronunication wavered between a long and a short o, the latter said to be the pronunication of the family name. Preference for the former, however, finally won out. Locally called in early days "Magic City" because it grew up like a mushroom. The appellation is still heard occasionally. (Eaton, 344, HIST. RANDOLPH, 169 f.; J.D. Hammett, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Moniteau Creek
Description:Heads in eastern Moniteau Township, flowing south through Howard County into the Missouri River. Evidently a corruption of the Indian word "manito," meaning "spirit." The change in spelling is due to French influence. Eaton explains the name to have originated from a painted figure of a man upon a rock at the mouth of the creek. Thwaites (ORIGINAL JOURNALS), names it Manito Creek. (Eaton, 331, Hodge, 801)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Moniteau Township
Description:In the south-central part of the county; originally a part of Prairie and Silver Creek Townships. Named for Moniteau Creek (q.v.), which heads within it. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 157)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Morton School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for James Morton, pioneer of the district. (J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Moth Branch
Description:Crosses the southwestern corner of Silver Creek Township, into Chariton County. The origin of the name could not be determined.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Harmony Baptist Church
Description:In Salt River Township. Organized in 1828, now extinct. The name is perhaps a mistake for the Biblical Mt. Hermon (DEUT. 4:48) or there may be a "contamination" with the family name Harmon. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 213; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Hope
Description:A discontinued post office listed in Westmore's Gazetteer, 275. Perhaps from Mount Hope Presbyterian Church near Huntsville. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Hope Presbyterian Church
Description:In Salt Spring Township, about four miles northeast of Huntsville. An emblematic name. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mountairy
Description:A trading point and discontinued post office in Silver Creek Township, settled by Virginians. Named from its location, said to be at the highest point in the county. It seems probably that the name comes from the pioneers' native state, as there is a Mt. Airy in Virginia. Called Mt. Airy on all early maps (1844-1906). Originally called Uptonsville for a Mr. Upton, who ran the store. (Wetmore, 275; C.B. Dysart, J.C. Fleming, J.D. Hammett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church
Description:In Chariton Township, ten miles north of Clifton Hill. Organized on August 31, 1873. See above. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Carmel School
Description:In Chariton Township. Named from Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church (q.v.) nearby. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Hope School
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named from Mt. Hope Presbyterian Church (q.v.) nearby. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Olive Presbyterian Church
Description:In Salt Spring Township, three miles northeast of Huntsville. Organized in 1887. A Bible name, a variant for the Mount of Olives near Jerusalem (MAT. 24:3). (SYNOD OF MISSOURI, 83; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Olivet Baptist Church
Description:In Chariton Township, fourteen miles northeast of Huntsville. See above. (MISSOURI BAPTIST BULLETIN, 252; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Shiloh Baptist Church
Description:In Chariton Township, twelve miles northwest of Huntsville. A Bible name (JOS. 18:1) meaning "tranquillity," a sacred place ten miles north of Bethel. (MISSOURI BAPTIST BULLETIN, 252; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Vernon Baptist Church
Description:In Prairie Township. Organized in 1858, now defunct. Probably named for the home of George Washington. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 213; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Muncas Creek
Description:In Chariton Township, a branch of Middle Fork of Chariton River. Spelt Muncus in the HIST. RANDOLPH, 148. (J.C. Fleming)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Hope Methodist Church
Description:In Salt Spring Township, at Fort Henry. See above. (J.D. Hammett, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:No. 6 School
Description:In Prairie Township, abolished when the Elliott coal mines discontinued operation. An old district number; the school was never given another name. (J.C. Fleming)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove Baptist Church
Description:In Salt Spring Township, one of the oldest in the county, now extinct. A name descriptive of its location. (HISTORY OF RANDOLPH AND MACON; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove School [1 of 2]
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Located originally in an oak grove. (T.R. Mayo)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove School [2 of 2]
Description:In Prairie Township. Named from its location in an oak grove. (E.Y. Keiter)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Point
Description:A discontinued post office in northwestern Prairie Township. The name was doubtless descriptive. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 161, Wetmore, 275)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Old Reservior
Description:In Sugar Creek Township, west of Moberly. Once the city's water supply, but no longer used. (Kenneth Bolen, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oliver School
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named for William Oliver, on whose land it was located. (Porter Mayor)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Painter Creek
Description:In southwestern Salt River Township, a branch of Mud Creek. Perhaps from the panthers or "painters" so familiar in early days. (RANDOLPH ATLAS 1876)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Patton School [1 of 2]
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for George Patton, on whose land it was located. (J.C. Fleming)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Patton School [2 of 2]
Description:See Salem School (Salt River Township)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pattonsburg
Description:See Levick's Mill
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Penney's
Description:A discontinued post office in Salt Spring Township, northeast of Huntsville. Here also were a mill and a pottery. Named for William Penny, on whose land it was located. (Goodwin, 32, Hayward, 826; T.R. Mayo, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Perche
Description:See Clark
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Perche Creek
Description:See Roche Perche Creek
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Grove Union Church
Description:In Silver Creek Township, northwest of Yates. Organized in 1828 by Baptists and Presbyterians, now defunct. See above. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 213; R.R. Quinn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
Description:In Cairo Township, three miles west of Cairo. Organized about 1865. See above. (HISTORY OF RANDOLPH AND MACON, 356; E.M. Richmond
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Township
Description:In the southeast corner of the county. So named because it consists almost entirely of prairie land. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 159; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Providence Christian Church
Description:In Salt Spring Township, five miles south of Huntsville. An ideal name. (J.C. Fleming, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Providence Methodist Church
Description:In Clinton Township, three miles north of Clifton Hill. The congregation organized in 1834, met first in a log cabin, also used for school purposes, called Johnson's Schoolhouse, for the owner. In 1846 they erected a building known as "Twelve Corners," made of logs and actually containing twelve corners--an architectural wonder. See above. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 149, 214, 352; Mrs. F.M. Stamper)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Randolph
Description:See Renick
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Randolph County
Description:Originally a part of Howard County. Organized as a separate county on January 22, 1829. It is bounded on the north by Macon County, on the east by Audrain and Monroe, on the south by Boone and Howard, and on the west by Chariton County. It was named for John Randolph of Roanoke, Virginia, an orator and statesman of renown. Randolph was born in Chesterfield, Virginia, June 2, 1773, and died in Philadelphia, June 24, 1833. He was educated at Princeton and Columbia Universities. Besides being a member of the House of Representatives for several terms, beginning in 1799, he was also a United States Senator and a minister to Russia. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 96, 121 f., STATE LAWS, FIRST SESSION 5TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY, 42-44; J.D. Hammett, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Randolph Springs
Description:An abandoned health resort and discontinued post office (1889-1904), in Salt Spring Township. Named from the county. Also known earlier as Medical Springs, because of the healing qualities of the large salt and sulphur springs there. The resort, very popular in its day, was built by Charles Dameron, an old settler, now a resident of Louisiana. The name was changed when a resort was opened up here. Referred to sometimes merely as Salt Spring. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 116; J.D. Hammett, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Renick
Description:A village in Prairie Township. Settled in 1856 and named originally Randolph, from the county. When the railroad was built through here and the town laid out, the name was changed to Renick, for one of the promoters of the North Missouri (now Wabash), Railroad. Rennick Station on earlier maps. (Campbell, 470; M. Lilly, J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Renick Station
Description:See Renick
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ridings School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for a family of the district. (E.Y. Keiter)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roanoke
Description:A village on the Randolph-Howard County line, in Silver Creek Township. Settled in 1836 and named for Roanoke, Virginia, the birthplace of John Randolph, for whom Randolph County was named. The name was suggested by Judge James Head, the founder. Also known in its early days by the less dignified name of Head's Store for Judge James Head, pioneer settler from Orange County, Virginia and one of the judges of the first county court as well as the first county collector. Also known at an early date as Van Buren, for Martin Van Buren, the successful candidate for president of the United States the year the settlement was made, but changed no doubt because of his later unpopularity following the panic of 1837. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 165, MAPS 1844 f.; J.D. Hammett, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roche Perche Creek
Description:Heads in Prairie Township, west of Renick, flowing through Boone County into the Missouri River. Named by the French Roche Percee because of a high, craggy cliff at the mouth, the name meaning perforated or split rock. (Switzler, 1069, Thwaites, E.W.T., XIV, 147; J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rolling Home
Description:An abandoned trading post and post office in Chariton Township. Named from its location on rolling prairie land. (J.D. Hammett, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rothwell Park
Description:At the outskirts of Moberly. Formerly known as Forest Park because of the many trees growing there. The name was changed a few years ago to honor Rolla Rothwell, mayor of Moberly over a period of twenty-five years. (Kenneth Bolen, J.C. Fleming)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rough Branch
Description:In Silver Creek Township, a branch of East Fork of Chariton River. So named because it runs fast, having a good fall. It also frequently overflows in rainy weather. (T.R. Mayo)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ryder
Description:A switch on the C. and A. Railroad in Prairie Township, used for loading ties. Named for the owner of the land. (Maps 1908 f.; C.B. Dysart, E.Y. Keiter)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem Baptist Church
Description:In Salt Springs Township, five miles south of Huntsville. See above. (J.C. Fleming, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem Christian Church
Description:In Union Township, six miles east of Moberly. See above. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 214; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem Presbyterian Church
Description:In Salt River Township, northeast of Cairo. See above. (T.J. Terrill)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem School [1 of 2]
Description:In Salt River Township. Named from Salem Presbyterian Church (q.v.). Also known as Patton School, for a landowner of the district. (T.J. Terrill)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem School [2 of 2]
Description:At Moberly in Sugar Creek Township. Named from Salem Christian Church (q.v.) across the road. (J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt Fork
Description:In Moniteau Township, flowing into Howard County. Named from the salt springs nearby. (Pace, 169; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River Township
Description:In the northeastern corner of the county; named for Salt River which flows through an adjoining county (Monroe), one tributary of which, Mud Creek, flows through the township. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 161-2; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt Spring
Description:See Randolph Springs
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt Spring Township
Description:In the central-west part of the county, one of the four original townships. Named from the rather large salt spring in its borders -- the source of salt supply for early settlers of the county. The first salt mill was built here nearly a hundred years ago. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 192-3; J.D. Hammett, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shafton
Description:An abandoned coal mining settlement in Prairie Township, on the C. and A. Railroad. Named from the coal shaft. The local name was Blairs, for the operator, Paddy Blair from Richmond, Missouri. (MAP 1886; J.C. Fleming, J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shelton Creek
Description:In Prairie and Sugar Creek Townships, a branch of Coon Creek. Named for Thomas Shelton, pioneer settler here. (J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Silver Creek
Description:Rises in Moniteau Township, crossing Silver Creek Township and flowing into Chariton County. Named because of the purity of the waters and its palatable qualities, resulting from the springs which feed it and the limestone rock which forms most of its bed. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 164; R.R. Quinn, Mrs. F.M. Stamper)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Silver Creek Baptist Church
Description:In Silver Creek Township, three miles south of Clifton Hill. Organized in August, 1819, when, until 1827, it was known as Happy Zion from the Bible name for a part of Jerusalem (II SAM. 5:7) plus a descriptive adjective. Named later from its location on Silver Creek (q.v.). (HISTORY OF RANDOLPH AND MACON, 350; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Silver Creek Township
Description:In the southwestern corner of the county, one of the four original townships. The first settlement of the county was made here, because of proximity to the Missouri River. Named for Silver Creek (q.v.), which flows through it. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 163)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smith Branch
Description:A tributary of Sugar Creek in Prairie Township. Named for Joll Smith, pioneer settler. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smith School
Description:In Silver Creek Township. Named for a pioneer settler of the district. (R.R. Quinn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smithland
Description:A stagecoach stop and post office in Moniteau Township, west of Renick and displaced by it when the Wabash Railroad was built through here. Named for William Smith, who operated a store here before the Civil War. (Goodwin, 38, Maps 1844-1871; Mrs. Mary Susan Dysart, E.Y. Keiter; J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Mud Creek
Description:In eastern Cairo Township, a fork of Mud Creek (q.v.). (RANDOLPH ATLAS 1876)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spring Branch
Description:In Chariton Township, a branch of Brush Creek. So named because it is fed by several pure water springs. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stink Creek
Description:In Chariton Township, a branch of Middle Fork of Chariton River. Named for the odor caused by the mineral springs which feed it. (T.R. Mayo)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugar Creek
Description:In Sugar Creek, Cairo and Salt Spring Townships, a branch of East Fork of Chariton River. See above. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 136; W.T. Nise, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugar Creek Presbyterian Church
Description:In Sugar Creek Township, two miles northwest of Moberly. Organized in 1840, now defunct. Named from its location on Sugar Creek (q.v.). (HIST. RANDOLPH, 214; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugar Creek Reservoir
Description:An artificial lake northwest of Moberly, in Sugar Creek Township, built about six years ago and named from Sugar Creek (q.v.) which was dammed to form it. (Kenneth Bolen, W.T. Nise)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugar Creek School
Description:In Sugar Creek Township. Named from its location on Sugar Creek (q.v.). (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugar Creek Township
Description:In the central and eastern part of the county; one of the original townships, organized in 1829 and named from Sugar Creek (q.v.), which rises within it, near Moberly, and flows into the East Fork of Chariton River a short distance above Huntsville. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 167)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sunshine
Description:In Moniteau Township, on the C. and A. Railroad east of Higbee; a mining camp, abandoned about 1908 and from its location in a warm valley. (J.C. Fleming)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sweet Spring Baptist Church
Description:In Salt Spring Township, near Huntsville. Organized in 1879, now defunct. Named from its location on Spring Creek (q.v.). (MISSOURI BAPTIST BULLETIN, 252; T.J. Terrill)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sweet Spring Creek
Description:A branch of East Fork of Chariton River in Chariton Township. So named from the purity of the water, which is fed by a spring and has a sweet taste. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 164; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sweet Spring Methodist and Presbyterian Church
Description:In Salt Spring Township, five miles southwest of Huntsville. Organized in 1841 and named from its location on Sweet Spring Creek (q.v.). (SYNOD OF MISSOURI, 70; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Taunton
Description:A mining settlement in Prairie Township, south of Renick, the first one in the county; abandoned about sixty-five years ago. Opened by a Massachusetts Company located at Taunton, Massachusetts. Hence the name. (J.A. Maxwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Terrill School
Description:In Sugar Creek Township. Named for John Terrill, on whose land it was located. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thomas Hill
Description:A post office in Chariton Township, discontinued in 1904. Named for William Thomas, an early settler and from its location on a small hill. Originally Thomasville, but changed when the post office was established because of a post office by the same name in Oregon County. (Maps 1866 f.; J.D. Hammett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thomasville
Description:See Thomas Hill
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Towles School
Description:See Oakland School
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Trinity Methodist Church
Description:In Salt Spring Township. See above. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Trinity School
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named from Trinity Methodist Church (q.v.) nearby. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turner School [1 of 2]
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for a landowner of the district. (W.S. Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turner School [2 of 2]
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named for a landowner of the district. (Mrs. F.M. Stamper)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turner's Fork
Description:A branch of Silver Creek in Silver Creek Township. Named for a pioneer settler there. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turner's Prairie Church
Description:See Dover Baptist Church
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Twelve Corners Church
Description:See Providence Methodist Church
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Twin Churches
Description:In Salt Spring Township. The Salem Baptist and Providence Christian Churches are thus referred to because they are only a few hundred yards apart. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Baptist Church
Description:In Salt River Township, northeast of Cairo. An ideal name. (MISSOURI BAPTIST BULLETIN, 252; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Chapel Christian Church
Description:In Chariton Township. Organized in 1897. See above. The building is used by two other denominations, Presbyterian and Holiness. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Township
Description:Near the central part of the east border. Named for the same reason as Union Township, Monroe County (q.v.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Uptonsville
Description:See Mountairy
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Urbandale
Description:An incorporated village in Sugar Creek Township, south of Moberly, unique in that all the officials are women. The name is a coined one. (E.M. Richmond, Mrs. F.M. Stamper)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Van Buren
Description:See Roanoke
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vaughn School
Description:In Silver Creek Township. Named for a landowner, on whose farm the school was located. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vernon School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named from Mt. Vernon Baptist Church (q.v.). (T.R. Morris)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Walnut Creek
Description:Rises in Jackson Township, emptying into East Fork of Chariton River. Named from the abundant walnut timber along its banks. (HIST. RANDOLPH, 147; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named from its location. (W.T. Nise)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Waters School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for a family of the district. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Point School
Description:In Prairie Township. Nothing could be learned as to the origin of the name.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White School
Description:In Sugar Creek Township. Named for a settler on whose land it was located. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wilcox
Description:See Harkes
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wild Cat Branch
Description:Heads in Prairie Township, Randolph County, joining Judah Creek in northwestern Saling Township, Audrain County. Named for the animal. (William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wright School
Description:In Salt Spring Township. Named for Willard Wright, pioneer of the district. (E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Yates
Description:A village in Silver Creek Township. Named for George Yates, a pioneer settler, who gave the right of way and the site for the station to the C. and A. Railroad. Before the station was built it was known as Yatesville, the name being changed because there was a station by the same name in Illinois. (R.R. Quinn, T.J. Terrill)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Yatesville
Description:See Yates
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names