Ralls County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Abells
Description:A settlement and post office in Center Township, near St. Paul's Church, long ago discontinued (Nov., 1858). Named for the storekeeper. (St. Louis Gaz., 1860, 1; Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Antioch Chapel Baptist Church
Description:In Saverton Township, west of Saverton, organized about sixty-five years ago. A Bible name, for the city where the disciples were first called Christians (Acts 11:26). (RALLS ATLAS 1878; R.T. Colborn, W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ariel Christian Church
Description:In southeastern Saline Township, northwest of Cincinnati, organized about 1870. A Bible name for Jerusalem, meaning "hearth of God" (Isa. 29:1). (RALLS ATLAS 1878; B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barnard School
Description:In southern Saverton Township. Named for Abner Barnard, on the corner of whose farm it is located. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Branch
Description:In southwestern Jasper Township, a tributary of Spencer Creek. See above. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Branch School
Description:In Jasper Township. Named from the creek upon which it is located (q.v.). (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Creek
Description:Curves into the northern part of Clay Township, flowing into the Mississippi River in Marion County. See above. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beaver Branch
Description:In Jasper Township, flowing into Spencer Creek. Named for Squire Abraham Beaver, pioneer settler from Virginia to Missouri in 1857. (PORT. AND BIOG. RECORD, 718, RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethel Baptist Church
Description:In northwest Spencer Township southwest of New London. Organized in 1840, now defunct. A favorite Bible name, (Gen. 28:19) for the site of Jacob's dream. (RALLS ATLAS 1878, SALT RIVER ASSOCIATION, 119)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethel Christian Church
Description:In northwest Spencer Township, west of New London. Named from the community already known as Bethel from Bethel Baptist Church (q.v.). (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. Jennie Frey, Mrs. B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethel School
Description:In Spencer Township. Named from Bethel Baptist Church (q.v.), about a mile distant. (Mrs. Jennie Frey, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethlehem Baptist Church
Description:In Saline Township, southwest of Hassard; one of the oldest churches in the county. See above. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; R.T. Colborn, Mrs. J.T. Culbertson)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Creek [1 of 2]
Description:In northern Spencer Township, a tributary of Salt River. A descriptive name. (RALLS COUNTY WALL MAP)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Creek [2 of 2]
Description:In Clay Township, a tributary of Salt River. See above. (RALLS ATLAS 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Creek Presbyterian Church
Description:In northwestern Clay Township, southeast of Rensselaer, about one mile from Big Creek (q.v.), from which it takes its name. Now the Rensselaer Presbyterian Church. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Mary E. Clayton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blue's Store
Description:In southern Saline Township. Owned by a man by the name of Blue, who also operated a grist mill here. The place no longer exists. The RALLS WALL MAP misnames it Brune's Store. (W.G. Hendrix, James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bouvet's Saline
Description:See Spalding Springs
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Branham
Description:Listed in the RAND MC NALLY ATLAS but nothing could be learned of this place.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brantford
Description:A post office in Jasper Township, established in 1889 and discontinued in 1891.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brice School
Description:In Jasper Township. Named for Elijah Brice, who gave the land for the site. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, Frank C. Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bridgewater School
Description:In Jasper Township. Named for William Bridgewater, who gave the land on which the school was built in 1868. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Briggs
Description:In Spencer Township, southwest of New London, a railroad station named for George Briggs, owner of the farm on which it is located. (Frank Hendrix, Mrs. Blanche Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brittingham Park
Description:Near the county border, in northeastern Clay Township. Named for James S. Brittingham, merchant of the Brittingham and Strong Drygoods Company, Hannibal, who laid the site off into lots. Formerly known as Fairgrounds, since the Hannibal Fairgrounds were located here. (PORT. AND BIOG. RECORD, 232-3, RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. P.W. Flowerree, Mrs. Blanche Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek [1 of 2]
Description:In Saline Township. A tributary of Salt River. See above. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek [2 of 2]
Description:In southern Spencer Township. A branch of Spencer Creek. See above. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek Catholic Church
Description:See St. Peter's Catholic Church.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek School
Description:In Spencer Township. Named from the creek on which it is located (q.v.). (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buford's Cave
Description:In Spencer Township, northwest of New London. Named for the owner of the land, James Buford of Kentucky, who willed the farm to some of his slaves. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, Harry G. Weaver)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Butler School
Description:In Jasper Township. Named for Dudley Butler, owner of the site. This school is also referred to sometimes as Fowler School, for Asa Fowler, resident of the district. (B.B. Megown, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Caldwell Fork
Description:In Spencer Township, about three miles southeast of New London, where the New London road crosses Salt River. Named for the original owner, Walter Caldwell of Virginia, who took up claim to 300 acres of land in the township in 1827. The place was made memorable by the drowning in 1896 of Demas and Jennie Guttery, brother and sister, who were trapped by the swift water when attempting to cross the stream in a buggy. (SALT RIVER ASSOCIATION, 361-2; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Camp Creek
Description:Rises in Clay Township, joining Salt River in southwestern Saverton Township. On the Hannibal-New London dirt road was a level place near the ford across the creek. Many tourists used the place for a camping ground; hence, the name. (RALLS COUNTY WALL MAP; L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Camp Creek
Description:A railroad stop on the St. Louis and Hannibal Railroad, in southeastern Clay Township. Named from the creek upon which it is located (q.v.). Called Camp Creek Station on the RALLS ATLAS 1878. (MAPS 1873-1899; B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cave Springs
Description:See Fisher's Cave
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Creek
Description:A tributary of Salt River, in Saline Township. Named from a grove of cedars near it. (RALLS ATLAS 1878, Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Centenary Methodist Church
Description:In Saverton Township, southeast of Saverton, near Fool's Creek. The precise date of its founding has not been ascertained; it would probably explain the name, which doubtless commemorated some important event in the history of Methodism or of its founder, John Wesley (1703-1791). (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. P.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Centenary School
Description:In Saverton Township. Takes its name from the Methodist church of the same name (q.v.). (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Center Township
Description:Named from its location in the center part of the county. All the other townships are on the border. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Centre
Description:A town in southeastern Center Township, founded in 1871. Named from its location near the central part of the county as well as the central part of the township. In its early days it was frequently referred to as Jefftown, for Jefferson Ellis (Uncle Jeff Ellis), who ran a whisky "joint" there. On the RALLS ATLAS 1878 the American spelling Center is found. (RALLS ATLAS 1878, Conard I, 551, Postal Guide 1876 f.; Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cincinnati
Description:A discontinued post office (1886-1904), on Salt River, in Saline Township. Named for Cincinnati, Ohio. James Bell married Susan Green there in 1830, the latter being a resident of that place. In 1833 the Bell family emigrated to Ralls County, taking up land on the site of Cincinnati. (PORT. AND BIOG. RECORD, 135-6, RALLS ATLAS 1904, Wetmore, 155; Mrs. J.T. Culbertson)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cincinnati Methodist Church
Description:In southeastern Saline Township, about one-half mile from Cincinnati, an abandoned settlement from which it took its name (q.v.). The church also has gone out of existence. (RALLS ATLAS 1904)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:In the north-central part of the county. Named for Henry Clay (1777-1852), nationally prominent in politics at the time the township was formed. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clemens
Description:A station in southeastern Saverton Township, on the Burlington Railroad. Named for Samuel Clemens (1835-1910), by Mr. Henry Miller, at that time General Manager of the Burlington Railroad Company in Hannibal. Before the building of the railroad, the place was only a boat landing and was called Taylor, after a pioneer family who came at an early day with the Gilberts and Cottles to this township. (RAND MC NALLY ATLAS; W.W. Crockett, George A. Mahan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Conn Island
Description:In Salt River, between Clay and Spencer Townships. Named for the original owner, Richard B. Conn. (Mrs. Blanche Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Corinth Baptist Church
Description:In southeastern Salt River Township, southeast of Hutchison. It was named for one of St. Paul's churches (Acts 19:1). (RALLS ATLAS 1904; T.L. Clark)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crigler's Mills
Description:A discontinued post office and mill named for the owners of the mill, Robert, William, and James Crigler. Formerly known as Rouseburg for two cousins, Jack and Lee Rouse, who ran a store there. It was in Saling Township. (Postal Gudie 1870; S.W. Crigler, J.W. Dulaney, O.R. Jackson)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crooked Creek
Description:In the northern part of Clay Township, a branch of Bear Creek. A descriptive name; the creek has many bends. (RALLS COUNTY WALL MAP; L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cross Lanes School
Description:In Jasper Township. So named because of its location at the intersection of two public roads, once little more than lanes. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cross Roads Methodist Church
Description:In the northern part of Center Township. Named from its location at the intersection of two country roads. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. P.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:De Moss Chapel Methodist Church
Description:In Saline Township, southwest of Hassard. Named for the family, French settlers here, who donated land for the site. The family name has since been shortened to Moss. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; T.L. Clark, Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dead Man's Crossing
Description:On the St. Louis, Hannibal and Keokuk Railroad, in Spencer Township, near New London. The crossing was known by this name after Alfred Pickett was killed here by a train in 1878. (POR. AND BIOG. RECORD, 502; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Doe Run
Description:In Spencer Township near New London, a branch of Turkey Creek. Named from the many deer that had formed a "run" or path along the bank to a salt lick. (RALLS COUNTY WALL MAP; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Doe Run School
Description:In Spencer Township, on Doe Run (q.v.); hence its name. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dry Fork [1 of 2]
Description:Rises in Jasper Township, joining Lick Creek on the border of Salt River and Center Townships. It is a small rushing stream that quickly empties itself; it is dry most of the time. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dry Fork [2 of 2]
Description:A post office. See Noonan.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:East Branch of Doe Run
Description:In Spencer Township. The name describes its location. (RALLS COUNTY WALL MAP)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:East Lick Creek
Description:In Cuivre and Prairie Townships, Audrain County, joining Lick Creek (q.v.) in Salt River Township, Ralls County. A name descriptive of the location. (ATLAS 1918)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elliott
Description:A railroad station in Spencer Township, three miles south of New London; once an important shipping place for grain and livestock, but now abolished. Named for Wilkerson B. Elliott, on whose land it was located. This is commonly referred to as Elliott Station. (B.B. Megown, Mrs. Blanche Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ellis Creek
Description:In Saline Township, a tributary of Ely Creek. Named for Elijah Ellis, an early settler, who filed claim for land in 1831. (RALLS ATLAS 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elmwood Methodist Church
Description:In southwestern Saverton Township, now extinct. Named from the many elm trees there. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. P.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ely Branch
Description:A short tributary of Salt River in Salt River Township. Named for Benjamin S. Ely, born in Virginia in 1782, emigrating from Kentucky to Missouri in 1818. He died in 1847. The upper part of the stream is called Gallaher Branch for James Gallaher, who owned land along its bank. It is also known there as Hurley Branch for another landowner, John Hurley, who came to Missouri on a flat boat in 1818 and died in 1867. Gallaher (or Hurley), Branch rises in Jasper Township. (ORIG. COUNTY PLAT BOOK; Mrs. J.T. Culbertson, A. Lee Ely)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ely Creek
Description:In central Saline Township, a tributary of Salt River. Named for Isaac Ely of Virginia, who settled in the county in 1823. (ORIG. COUNTY PLAT BOOK; T.L. Clark)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ely Lick
Description:A country store in Spencer Township, four miles west of New London. Named for the owner, Isaac Ely, See above. He also operated a salt mill here. (Maps 1844-1886; Mrs. Blanche Megown, B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ely Springs
Description:One of the earliest used salt springs in the county, named for the owner, Isaac Ely (see above). (HISTORY OF NORTHEAST MISSOURI, I, 535)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fagan School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for Judge Landie Fagan, who laid claim to land in 1833-1835 and donated land for the original site. A later building was erected on the farm of George W. Fagan. (W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairgrounds
Description:See Brittingham Park.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Farmersville
Description:In southern Saline Township, a store and blacksmith shop, long ago abandoned. So named because it was put up by farmers on a cooperative basis. (RAND MC NALLY ATLAS; T.L. Clark, W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fern Chapel Methodist Church
Description:In western Jasper Township. William Woods, a stock breeder in the community, who contributed much to the building fund, was given the privilege of naming the chapel. He named it in memory of his daughter Fern, who died about 1890 at the age of eighteen or twenty years. Fern Woods was named for "Fanny Fern" (Sara Payson Willis Parton), an American essay writer who died in Brooklyn, New York, in 1872. Before the building of the chapel the church was known as Mount Prairie, because of its location on a slight elevation on prairie land. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Frank Hendrix, P.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fike's Lick
Description:See Pickett's Mill
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fisher's Cave
Description:In Spencer Township, about five miles southeast of New London. Named for its first owner, Captain J.P. Fisher. In early times a store located here was known as Cave Springs, for the cave and salt springs nearby. (MAP 1844; Mrs. Jennie Alexander, B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flint Hill Baptist Church
Description:In southwestern Saverton Township. Named from its location on a rocky hill. (R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flint Hill School
Description:In Saverton Township. Named from Flint Hill Baptist Church (q.v.). (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flowerree Branch
Description:Pronounced Flurry. A small tributary of Sugar Creek, in Spencer and Center Townships. Named for French Flowerre, a pioneer settler from Virginia, who emigrated to Missouri when a child died and died about 1895. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. P.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fool's Creek
Description:In southeastern Saverton Township, flowing into the Mississippi River. A drunken man, thrown from his horse when the animal tried to drink, was drowned in a few inches of water, being too intoxicated to realize his danger. This gave the creek its name. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Foreman's Mill
Description:See Matson's Mill
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fort Mason
Description:An early Indian stockade fort, built during the War of 1812 south of Saverton, under the leadership of Captain Musick, Callaway, and others, who had charge of the warfare against the Indians in this part of the state. The fort was named for Captain James Mason, an army officer. It was later destroyed by fire. (HISTORY OF NORTHEAST MISSOURI, I, 532; B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fowler School
Description:See Butler School
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Frazier School
Description:In Center Township, abandoned when Center Consolidated School was organized. Named for Dr. Edward F. Frazier, on whose land it was located. Dr. Frazier was the brother-in-law of "Becky Thatcher" of Mark Twain fame. (Dr. W.T. Waters, Mrs. Jennie Frey)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Freeman
Description:See Freemore's Lick
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Freeman's Saline
Description:See Freemore's Lick
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Freemore's Lick
Description:One of the earliest salt mills in the county, in northwestern Spencer Township, operated as early as 1800 by Charles Freemore Delaurie of St. Louis County, who was led to the salt lick by an Indian friend and guide, Rain-in-the Face. The English middle name was given to the place. It is sometimes named errooneously Freeman or Freeman's Saline (as on map for 1844). (Campbell, 463; B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gaden Grove
Description:A post office in the southeastern part of Center Township; discontinued when an office was located at Centre. Singleton Boyd, a postmaster and store keeper, selected the anem. It was located in timber land; Boyd evidently chose the combination of words because they sounded well together. (ST. LOUIS GAZETTEER, 1876, 196; T.L. Clark, Mrs. Eliza Manzke)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gallaher Branch
Description:See Ely Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gatson School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for John Gatson, pioneer. (T.L. Clark, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gender Creek
Description:In northern Clay Township. At an early day two irate women, accusing each other of stealing geese in a neighborhood creek, engaged in a fistic combat which degenerated into a hair-pulling. The creek after that was known as Gender. (RALLS WALL MAP; Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gentry School
Description:In Saline Township. Named for Tandy Gentry, owner of the site on which the school was built. (Mrs. P.W. Flowerree, Mrs. G.E. Yager)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gilbert's Landing
Description:On the Mississippi River, a short distance from the old settlement at Salt Springs (Now Saverton); named for the first American settler in the county, Samuel Gilbert, who bought claim to the land from Victor La Gotra, a French settler who was residing here. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Glascock Island
Description:In Salt River; between Saverton and Spencer Townships, near New London. Named for its owner, William H. Glascock. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goodin's Mill
Description:In Saline Township, on Salt River, a grist mill long ago abandoned; named for John Goodin, the owner. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, Mrs. P.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Greenlawn
Description:A settlement and discontinued post office (1889-1904), in northern Salt River Township. Situated on level, fertile land in the midst of rough country; hence, its name. Earlier references write it as two words (e.g., in the postal guides). (B.B. Megown, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gregory Branch
Description:In Center Township, a fork of Hippo Creek. Named for a pioneer landowner there, James Gregory of Kentucky, who located in the township in 1847. (PORT. AND BIOG. REC., 670; W.G. Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Griffin Hollow
Description:In Center Township, rising in center and flowing northwest into Salt River. Named for David Griffin, an early landowner there. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. P.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Haden School
Description:In Spencer Township. Named for William Haden, on whose land the school was built. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hassard
Description:In northwestern Saline Township, a discontinued post office (1876-1895), and station on the Wabash (formerly M. K. and T.) Railroad. Named for a railroad official. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, Mrs. Blanche Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hatch
Description:A discontinued post office (1886-1904), in southeastern Saline Township, near Shiel. Named for William H. Hatch, congressman from the Hannibal district from 1878 until 1894. Formerly called Romney; the origin of the name is unknown. (PORT. AND BIOG. REC., 250; Mrs. Jennie Alexander, James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hatch Experimental Station
Description:In northern Clay Township, a short distance from Hannibal. This station, which makes agricultural experiments, is built upon land donated for the purpose by Miss Sallie Rodes Hatch, the daughter of William Hatch, state senator. (See Hatch) (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, George A. Mahan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hays Creek
Description:In Jasper Township, a branch of Spencer Creek. Named for William Hays, a pioneer (registered in the 1822 poll book). Spelt also Hayes Creek and Hay Creek in the RALLS ATLAS 1878. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hays Creek Christian Church
Description:In eastern Jasper Township, on Hays Creek (q.v.), from which it takes its name. In its early days it was spoken of as the Reformed Church, because the members of the Christian church were frequently referred to as "reformers." (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. Mary E. Clayton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hereford School
Description:In Saline Township. Named after the large herds of Hereford cattle of John O. Wood, who lived in the district. (B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Creek
Description:Rises in Cuivre Township, Audrain County, and joins Spencer Creek in Jasper Township, Ralls County. Named from the hickory groves along the bank. Hickory Branch on 1878 atlas. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, O.M. Montague)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hippo Creek
Description:Rises in Center Township, joining Spencer Creek in Jasper Township. When an individual complained of an illness characterized chiefly by laziness and inertia, he was said to be afflicted with "hippo" (a shortened form of "hypochondria"). The creek is thought to have been named for some such complaining individual. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hope
Description:A station on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, in Saverton Township, on the Mississippi River. At this place the lost children of HUCKLEBERRY FINN found their way out of a cave, when hope was almost gone. (Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Huntington
Description:A small village in northeastern Saline Township. Named for Collis P. Huntington, a multimillionaire railroad builder of New York and Los Angeles. Listed Huntingdon on map of 1879. (Postal Guide 1886 f; James Noonan, Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hurdsburgh
Description:See Hydesburg
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hurley Branch
Description:See Ely Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hutchison
Description:An abandoned settlement and discontinued post office (1888-1904), in southeastern Salt River Township. Named for two brothers who resided there, Dr. Samuel Hutchison and James Hutchison, a school teacher. They also had charge of a store and post office there. Of the two the former was more prominent. In the Postal Guide for 1888-1896 it is spelt Hutchinson. (Mrs. Eliza Manzke, Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hutchison School
Description:In Salt River Township. Takes its name from Hutchison post office (q.v.), now discontinued. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hydesburg
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Clay Township. Named for a Mr. Hyde who resided there. It is spelt Hydesburgh on the map of 1844 and Hydsburg on the 1878 county atlas. Westmore mentions Hurdsburgh, "on the state road leading from Palmyra to St. Louis." He undoubtedly meant Hydesburg, since the road mentioned originally went through Hydesburg. (Wetmore, 155; Mrs. P.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hydesburg School
Description:In Clay Township. Named from the discontinued post office (q.v.). It no longer exists, having consolidated with Rensselaer School. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ilasco
Description:A town in the northeastern corner of Saverton. It began with the building of a cement plant there, one of the largest in the world. The name is derived from the initial letters of certain ingredients used in making cement; iron, lime, aluminum, silica, carbon, oxygen. (Postal Guide 1904 f.; George A. Mahan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ilasco Junction
Description:In Saverton Township, the railroad station about one mile from Ilasco (q.v.). (RAND MC NALLY ATLAS; Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Irvine School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for a landowner of the district. (Mrs. Jennie K. Frey, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jasper Township
Description:In the southeastern part of the county. Named for Jasper Smith, familiarly called "Old Man Jasper," a prominent landowner who resided near Cross Lanes School. (Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jefftown
Description:See Centre
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jessamine
Description:A store and post office (1897-1902), in central Jasper Township. Named for Jessamine, the daughter of G.W. Colvert, who lived there. (Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jim Hollow
Description:A creek, rising in Salt River Township, Pike County, and flowing into the Mississippi River in Saverton Township, Ralls County. Evidently named for a pioneer settler. (B.B. Megown, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Joanna
Description:See Oakland
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:In Center Township. Named for William Johnson and his four sons, all of whom resided in the district. (T.L. Clark, James L. Smith)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jug Run [1 of 2]
Description:In Center and Jasper Townships, a branch of Spencer Creek. In the old days people were frequently seen going back and forth with jugs, a whiskey still on the creek being the attraction. (RALLS ATLAS 1878, Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jug Run [2 of 2]
Description:In Spencer Township, a tributary of Brush Creek. Named for same reason as the one above. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Jennie Alexander, Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kuntz Creek
Description:Rises in Jasper Township, Ralls County, joining Spencer Creek in Spencer Township, Pike County. Named for a landowner in the vicinity. (PIKE ATLAS 1875; W.O. Gray)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Laurel
Description:An abandoned railroad station in northwestern Saline Township. Very likely named from the laurel thickets. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty Christian Church
Description:In Jasper Township, north of Nadine. This church is now extinct, the building having been converted into a community center. An ideal name. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; W.W. Crockett, Mrs. B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty Township
Description:One of the original townships, organized in 1821. With the formation of counties to the north and west it ceased to exist. An ideal name. (RALLS ATLAS 1898)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A tributary of Salt River in western Clay Township. Named from an old salt lick, of which there is now no evidence. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A post office in Salt River Township; named from its location on Lick Creek (q.v.). (ST. LOUIS GAZETTEER, 1860, 165; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick Creek Christian Church
Description:In Salt River Township, south of Perry, near Lick Creek (q.v.), from which it took its name. The church is now extinct. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick Creek Country
Description:The territory in Audrain and Ralls Counties drained by Lick Creek (q.v.) and its tributaries. (Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick Creek Presbyterian Church
Description:In Salt River Township, near Lick Creek (q.v.) whence its name. The church was organized in 1839, united with the Presbyterian Church in Perry in 1881. (Mrs. Eliza Manzke)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Linwood School
Description:In Saline Township. Named from the "linn" or linden tree, found throughout the county. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Bear Creek
Description:In northern Clay Township, a fork of Bear Creek (q.v.). (RALLS COUNTY WALL MAP)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Brick School
Description:In Center Township. So called because it was one of the first buildings in this section of the county to be made of brick. It was used for a school and also for religious services in pioneer days. Also spoken of as Little Red Brick. (Mrs. Jennie Frey, Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Red Brick
Description:See "Little Brick" School
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lone Prairie School
Description:In Jasper Township. It is situated alone on a prairie, not a house being within a radius of a half mile. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lookout Mountain
Description:Overlooking the Mississippi River, in Saverton Township, southwest of Saverton. A name descriptive of its location. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lost Hollow School
Description:See Oak Hill School
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mace Branch
Description:See Martin Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Madden School
Description:In Saline Township. Named for Patrick Madden, who was active in the building of the schoolhouse. (Mrs. P.W. Flowerree, Mrs. G.E. Yager)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Madisonville
Description:A country town in northeastern Jasper Township about twelve miles southwest of New London, on Spencer Creek. Laid out in 1836 by Jeptha Shelton Crosthwaite and named for his half brother, James Madison Crosthwaite. Maps until 1885 list the town as Madison Ville. (ST. LOUIS GAZETTEER, 1860; Mrs. Eliza Menzke)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Magnolia School
Description:In Center Township, two miles northeast of Center; discontinued when Center Consolidated School was organized. Named by George Waters for the tree he had known in the south. (Mrs. T.L. Clark)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marble Creek
Description:In Saverton Township, flowing into the Mississippi River. Named from the fact that it flows through an extremely rocky land; the rocks, however, show no resemblance to marble. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marble Creek Methodist Church
Description:In northwestern Saverton Township. Named for Marble Creek (q.v.), upon which it is situated. It is now known as Ilasco Methodist Church. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. F.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marble Creek School
Description:In Saverton Township. Named from its location on Marble Creek (q.v.). The name has been changed to Ilasco, for the town. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Martin Branch
Description:A short tributary of Lick Creek, in Salt River Township, near Perry. Named for George W. Martin, landowner. Formerly called Mace Branch, for Nancy and John Mace, mother and son, who previously owned land along the bank, the former filing claim in 1828, the latter in 1825. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mason Township
Description:One of the four original townships, and named from Fort Mason (q.v.), within its borders. The township ceased to exist when Marion County was formed, most of its territory lying outside the present limits of Ralls County. (RALLS ATLAS 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Matson's Mill
Description:The first flour and saw mill in the county, built near the present site of New London, Spencer Township, about 1812 by a Mr. Foreman, for whom it was named. Later it was known as Shepherd's Mill, for a second owner. It was later bought by Colonel Richard Matson, who improved it to the extent that it was one of the best in northeast Missouri. (HISTORY OF NORTHEAST MISSOURI, 531-33; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mazaruni Creek
Description:In Saverton Township, flowing into Lick Creek. Nothing could be learned of its origin. It may be an Indian name. Misspelled Malaruni on the RALLS ATLAS 1904. (RALLS ATLAS 1878, 1904; L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Megown Springs
Description:In Spencer Township, about a mile east of New London, a mineral spring and picnic ground on land formerly owned by John Megown, for whom it was named. (B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Middle Grove
Description:A discontinued post office in southwestern Jasper Township. A name descriptive of its location. (Wetmore, 275; Mrs. Jennie Alexander, James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Middle Lick Creek
Description:In Linn and Prairie Townships, Audrain County, joining Lick Creek (q.v.) in Salt River, Ralls County. A name descriptive of the location. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mill Creek
Description:Between Saverton and Clay Townships, a tributary of Bear Creek. Named for Charles Mill, who lived on the creek. Also frequently called Mill's Creek. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, Mrs. P.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mill Creek Baptist Church
Description:In Saverton Township, near Hannibal. Organized in 1851 and located on Mill Creek (q.v.), whence its name. (SALT RIVER ASSOCIATION, 159; T.L. Clark, Mrs. J.T. Culbertson)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mill Creek School
Description:In Saverton Township, on Mill Creek (q.v.); hence its name. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mineral Springs
Description:An amusement park in Spencer Township, about three miles south of New London on Spencer Creek, near the Pike County line. A drill for oil a number of years ago resulted only in the finding of a mineral spring - more accurately speaking, of an artesian well. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Prairie
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Salt River Township. Named from Mount Prairie Presbyterian Church (q.v.). (Wetmore, 275; Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Prairie Methodist Church
Description:See Fern Chapel Methodist Church
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Prairie Presbyterian Church
Description:In Salt River Township. The congregation, organized on April 6, 1831, united with the Presbyterian Church in Perry in 1881. Named from its location on a small knoll in the midst of prairie land. (Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Sterling Presbyterian Church
Description:In southern Spencer Township, about three miles south of New London. Organized about 1885, now defunct. The name was borrowed from Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, whence some of the original members had come. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Mary E. Clayton, W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:In Saline Township. The name is a misnomer, having been selected evidently because of its attractiveness. The school is located in the midst of thirty acres of woodland. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mud Lick School
Description:In Spencer Township. Named from its location near a lick which, because of its being on low land, is often very muddy. (Mrs. P.W. Flowerree, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Muldrow School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for John Muldrow, who owned the land on which the school was built. (B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nadine
Description:A trading point and post office (1899-1904), in Jasper Township, named for Nadine W. Colvert, who owned land across the road from the store. (W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nadine School
Description:In Jasper Township. Takes its name from Nadine post office (q.v.), now discontinued. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nevelle School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for J.W. Nevelle, on whose land the school was built. (Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New London
Description:In Spencer Township. Laid out in 1819 by William Jameson and designated the county seat in 1821 by Dabney Jones, James Garnett, Richard Jones, Stephen Glascock, and Francis Grant, commissioners appointed by the act of November 16, 1820, which formed the county. Jameson selected the site, saying he would build here a town that would rival London. He therefore named it New London. (Maps 1826 f.; B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Portland
Description:See Oakland
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Providence Baptist Church
Description:In Jasper Township. Organized in 1858; now extinct, the congregation having moved to Center. See above. (SALT RIVER ASSOCIATION, 200; T.L. Clark, Mrs. E. Manzke)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Newlon Branch
Description:In central Clay Township, a branch of Big Creek. Named for Andrew Newlon, early settler. (RALLS WALLS MAP; Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Newport
Description:See Oakland
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nichol's Branch
Description:A tributary of Ellis Creek, in Saline Township. Named for a pioneer family there. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Noonan
Description:A discontinued post office and settlement in southwestern Center Township. Named for James Noonan, one of a family who were pioneers in the vicinity. Formerly known as Dry Fork, because of its location on the creek by that name, (q.v.). (Wetmore, 275; W.W. Crockett, James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Norton School
Description:In Salt River Township. Located on the farm of Ulysses Norton, a Mexican War veteran, and named for him. (B.B. Megown, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Dale School
Description:In Jasper and Center Townships. Situated in a valley surrounded by oak trees; hence, its name. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Hill School
Description:In Saverton Township. Its situation on a ridge surrounded by a grove of oak trees gives its name. Originally the school had an obscure location in a hollow nearby and was therefore called Lost Hollow School. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oakland
Description:In Saline Township, on Salt River; a country store, which takes its name from the Oakland Baptist Church nearby (q.v.). Originally the store and post office were located about one mile distant and called Newport, listed also New Portland on map of 1844. Both are doubtless borrowed names, given by government surveyors of Salt River. Later a store and post office were begun near here by Theodore F. Burnett and named Joanna for his mother. (Wetmore, 155; W.W. Crockett, A. Lee Ely)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oakland Baptist Church
Description:In southern Saline Township, north of Joanna and named from the groves of white oak trees in the vicinity. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; A. Lee Ely, B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oakwood
Description:A section of Hannibal in northwestern Clay Township, on the county border. So named about 1885 because of the many oak trees in the vicinity. Previous to that time it was called Stringtown, because the dwellings were strung out along the old plank road leading from Hannibal. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. Blanche Megown, W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oakwood Junction
Description:In Clay Township; a railroad stop on the Hannibal and St. Louis Railroad, about one mile from Oakwood (q.v.). (W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ocean Wave Christian Church
Description:In eastern Clay Township. Named from Ocean Wave School (q.v.). The church is now extinct. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ocean Wave School
Description:In Clay Township. Named from the trade name of the box-iron stove purchased when the school building was erected. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, Mrs. P.W. Flowerree)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Olivet Christian Church
Description:In Center Township, about one mile north of Center. The church building was moved to Center, only the cemetery being left to mark the site. A Bible name, variant form for the Mount of Olives (cf. II SAM. 15:30; ACTS 1:12). (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:O'Neal Branch
Description:In central Clay Township, a branch of Salt River. Named for the O'Neal family, early settlers. Erroneously spelt O'Neill on RALLS COUNTY WALL MAP. (Mrs. G.E. Yager)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Organ Branch
Description:In eastern Jasper Township, a small tributary of Hays Creek. Named for Archibald Organ, landowner. (RALLS WALL MAP; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Orrwood
Description:A railroad stop on a branch of the St. Louis and Hannibal Railroad, in southwestern Center Township. Named from the combination of the names of Judge Isaac Orr, of St. Louis, and Perry Wood, of New London, railroad attorneys who were instrumental in the building of the road. (RAND MC NALLY ATLAS; J.T. Culbertson, James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Owendale
Description:A stockyard and loading station in western Spencer Township, on a branch of the St. Louis and Hannibal Railroad. Named for Edward R. Owen, who owned several hundred acres of land in the vicinity. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; B.B. Megown, Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Owl Creek
Description:A branch of Sugar Creek, in northern Center Township. So called from the many owls which in early days inhabited the woods along the stream. (MONTGOMERY ATLAS 1904; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Painted Rocks
Description:Along the northern side of Salt River, west of Cincinnati. Named for the pictographs, now almost obliterated, made on the bluffs by Indians. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Perry
Description:A town in the center of Salt River Township, laid out by William Perry Crosthwaite and Anderville Mayhall in 1866 and named for the former, who was the town's first postmaster. He came to Missouri from Kentucky when five years of age, but returned later to his native state, where he died. (Postal Guide, 1870 f; Mrs. Eliza Manzke)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pickett's Mills
Description:An abandoned grist mill in the northeast corner of Jasper Township, named for the owner, Alfred Pickett, who was killed in a railroad accident in 1878. He was a Kentuckian, who came to Missouri in 1828, when he was eight years old. This was known earlier as St. Vrains Mills, for a former owner. Later called Fike's Lick, for another owner, Abraham Fike of Virginia. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Jennie Alexander, W.G. Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Piddleton
Description:A settlement in Salt River Township. The name was transferred from Piddleton School (q.v.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Piddletown School
Description:In Salt River Township. In four houses in a row lived four Moore brothers and sister, who, being financially independent, were idle much of the time. As a consequence, the name "Piddletown" came to be applied to the school. The school was originally called Spratswell, having been built on the Spratswell farm. (W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pigeon Creek [1 of 2]
Description:In Center Township, a branch of Salt River. Many pigeons roosted here in early days. (T.J. Clark)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pigeon Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A post office in Center Township, long ago discontinued. Named from its location on Pigeon Creek (q.v.). (Maps 1866-1873)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Grove Christian Church
Description:In southwestern Center Township, four or five miles west of Center. The name is descriptive of the location. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. G.E. Yager)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Plum Creek [1 of 2]
Description:In Spencer Township, a tributary of Spencer Creek. Named from the wild plum trees along the banks. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Plum Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A railroad siding in southeastern Spencer Township. Named from Plum Creek (q.v.), which flows nearby. (Maps 1885-1891; W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie View Christian Church
Description:In southern Salt River Township; now defunct. Named from Prairie School (q.v.). (RALLS ATLAS 1904; W.W. Crockett, B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie View School
Description:In Spencer Township. Named from its location. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Price's Branch
Description:In southeastern Saline Township, a tributary of Salt River. Named for James Price, pioneer settler, said to have been a notorious sheep stealer. (RALLS COUNTY WALL MAP; Mrs. J.T. Culbertson)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ralls County
Description:Originally a part of Pike County. Formed on November 16, 1820, and then including eight other counties and parts of four others lying to the north and west. With the organization of Marion County in 1826, Randolph in 1829, Monroe in 1831, and Audrain in 1836, Ralls assumed its present limits. On the north is Marion County; on the east, the Mississippi River; on the south, Pike and Audrain; on the west, Monroe and Marion. Ralls was named for Daniel Ralls, member of the state legislature from Pike County, a Virginian who emigrated in his youth to Kentucky, thence in 1818 to Missouri four miles west of New London. He died on October 20, 1820, while the legislature was in session, a few days after he was carried from his sick bed to cast the deciding vote which made Thomas H. Benton a U.S. Senator. (STATE LAWS, 1ST SESSION OF 1ST GENERAL ASSEMBLY, 17-18; B.B. Megown, W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ralls Junction
Description:In Spencer Township, near New London. Here the Perry Branch leaves the main line of the St. Louis and Hannibal Railroad. Named from the county. (MAPS 1895 f; Mrs. Jennie Alexander, W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rector's Lake
Description:In Saverton Township, northeast of New London. Named for Baylis Rector, owner of the land on which it is located. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Reformed Church
Description:See Hays Creek Christian Church
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rensselaer
Description:A station on the Wabash (formerly M.K. and T.) Railroad in the northwestern corner of Clay Township. Named from the Rensselaer Academy (q.v.) founded there many years ago. On maps of 1888, 1899, and 1902 the place was misspelt Rensalier. (Postal Guide 1876 f.; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rensselaer Academy
Description:One of the oldest educational institutions in the county, in Clay Township. Founded by General Stephen Van Rensselaer (1765-1839), of New York State and named for him. General Van Rensselaer commanded in the War of 1812, was a member of congress 1823-29, president of the board of commissioners of the Erie Canal for fourteen years, and a noted philanthropist; he founded Rensseaer Polytechnic Institute at Troy, New York in 1826. (James Noonan, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Riverview
Description:A country store in the extreme northern part of Salt River Township, on a high bluff overlooking Salt River; hence its name. (W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock Creek
Description:In Saline Township, a small branch of Salt River. Named from rocky bluffs at its head. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock Lick Baptist Church
Description:In Saline Township, now defunct. Named from its location at the head of Rock Creek, near a rocky salt lick. (Mrs. L.C. Northcutt, Mrs. G.E. Yager)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock Lick School
Description:In Saline Township. Named from Rock Lick Baptist Church (q.v.). (Mrs. G.E. Yager)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rocky Point School
Description:In Spencer Township. Named from its location on a rocky promontory. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rollin's Branch
Description:A branch of Ellis Creek, in central Saline Township. Named for A.W. Rollins, a pioneer of the county, who filed claim for land in 1831. (ORIGINAL RALLS COUNTY PLAT BOOK; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Romney
Description:See Hatch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Round Grove School
Description:In Jasper Township. Evidently so named because of its location in or near a grove circular in shape. The grove has been cleared away now. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Round Knob
Description:In northwestern Center Township. Named from its conical shape. (Hardy-Scheetz, 536; Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rouseburg
Description:See Crigler's Mills
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem Baptist Church
Description:In southwestern Spencer Township, east of Center. Organized in 1832. A Bible name (John 3:23), a variant of Salim, where John was baptizing. (Mrs. E. Manzke; SALT RIVER ASSOCIATION, 76)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem School
Description:In Spencer Township. Named from the Salem Baptist Church (q.v.) in the same neighborhood. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saline Township
Description:In the northwestern part of the county. Named from the many salt deposits (called salines), which attracted settlers as early as the latter part of the eighteenth century. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River
Description:A railroad switch in southeastern Clay Township, on the Hannibal and St. Louis Railroad, about two miles east of New London, adjoining the bridge over Salt River, whence its name. Maps also list it as Salt River Switch (1888, 1895, etc.). (RALLS ATLAS 1904)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River Baptist Church
Description:In Clay Township, near Salt River (q.v.), whence its name. The organization lasted from 1833 until 1848. (SALT RIVER ASSOCIATION, 78)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River Christian Church
Description:In southern Saverton Township, east of New London. Named from Salt River (q.v.), which flows a short distance to the west and south of it. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River School
Description:In Saverton Township. Named for Salt River (q.v.), which flows nearby. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River Slough
Description:In southern Clay Township, the original course of Salt River (q.v.) near its mouth. No one remembers when the river changed its course. Salt River Slough is often referred to as "the Old River." (RALLS ATLAS 1878; J.D. Beauchamp)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River Switch
Description:See Salt River
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River Township
Description:One of the original townships, organized in 1821. Named from Salt River (q.v.), which marks its northern boundary. (RALLS ATLAS 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saverton
Description:One of the first settlements of the county, in Saverton Township, on the Mississippi River. Laid out in 1819 by Rufus Easton and Henry Von Phul and named for the Saverton family, pioneers. Misspelt Severnton on maps of 1850 and 1867. (MAPS 1822 f., RALLS ATLAS 1876, Wetmore 257; Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saverton Hills
Description:In Saverton Township, whence the name. All of the township is very rough. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saverton Springs
Description:Salt Springs in Saverton Township, a short distance from Saverton (q.v.) from which they take their name. Named Saverton Sulphur Springs on Ralls Atlas 1878. (History of Northeast Missouri, I, 535)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saverton Sulphur Springs
Description:See Saverton Springs
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saverton Township
Description:In the northeastern part of the county. Named from Saverton (q.v.), the oldest settlement in the county. (Frank Hendrix)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Schulse School
Description:See Webster School
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Scobee Springs
Description:A mineral spring in the extreme northern Salt River Township. Named for the owner of the land. (W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:See Branch
Description:In northern Jasper Township, near Madisonville, a tributary of Spencer Creek. Named for a pioneer family who settled on its bank. The county wall map misspelt it Sea Branch. (RALLS COUNTY WALL MAP)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seely Branch
Description:In northeastern Jasper Township, a small tributary of Spencer Creek. Named for Abraham Seely of St. Louis, who came to the county shortly after his marriage, filing claim for land in 1829. (PORT. AND BIOG. REC., 686, RALLS COUNTY ORIGINAL PLAT BOOK)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seely School
Description:In Jasper Township. Named for Abraham Seely, owner of the land on which the school was built. (B.B. Megown, Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:See's Creek
Description:In northwestern Saline Township two forks which unite in Marion County. Named for an early settler, Conrad See, who came from Kentucky in 1818. Misspelt Seas on Wall Map of County. The RALLS ATLAS 1878 names each of the two forks Branch of Seas Creek. (WALL MAP OF COUNTY; James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shepherd's Mill
Description:See Matson's Mill (flour and saw)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shiel
Description:A post office (1899-1904), and once an important trading point in eastern Saline Township. Named for a Catholic priest. The place was earlier known as Sidney, origin of the name being undetermined. At one point Shiel was an important trading point, but it is almost abandoned now. (B.B. Megown, James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sidney
Description:See Shiel
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sidney School
Description:In Saline Township. Named from the rural settlement by that name (q.v.), which went out of existence a few years ago. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South River
Description:Rises in northern Saline Township, joining North River in Marion County near its mouth. Named from its location in relation to North River, Marion County. (RALLS ATLAS 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spalding
Description:A post office in the southwestern part of Clay Township, established in 1866 and discontinued in 1904. Named from the Spalding Springs nearby (q.v.). (Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spalding Christian Church
Description:In southwestern Clay Township, one-half mile northwest of the former location of Spalding (q.v.). (RALLS ATLAS 1904)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spalding School
Description:In Clay Township. Named from Spalding (q.v.) a discontinued post office. The school, too, has been abandoned with the organization of Rensselaer Consolidated School. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spalding Springs
Description:In Center Township. Mineral springs and once a prominent summer resort, named for Robert M. Spalding, who bought the land and improved it. Spalding was born in Kentucky in 1822, emigrating to Missouri when he was six years old. Earlier known as Bouvet's Saline, for Maturin Bouvet, a Frenchman who in 1793 purchased the Saline from the Spanish governor and operated a salt mill here. (HISTORY OF NORTHEAST MISSOURI, I, 535; Mrs. Blanche Megown, W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spencer Creek
Description:A branch of Salt River. Rises in Spencer Township, Pike County and Jasper Township, Ralls County, the two forks uniting in Jasper Township. Named for William Spencer, one of the earliest settlers in this part of the state, who was brought from St. Louis in a canoe by an Indian friend and guide in 1799 and who settled on the creek, operating a salt mill in Ralls County for some time. He later was a resident of Pike County. (HISTORY OF PIKE COUNTY, 997-998)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spencer Creek Baptist Church
Description:In Jasper Township, a short distance from Spencer Creek (q.v.) from which it takes its name. Organized on April 28, 1878. (SALT RIVER ASSOCIATION, 308; T.L. Clark; Mrs. Eliza Manzke)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spencer Lick
Description:A mill by this name was operated at a salt spring in Spencer Township as early as 1799, by William Spencer, for whom the place was named, as was also Spencer Creek (q.v.). A friendly Indian informed Spencer of the springs and later saved his life by warning him of a planned attack on him by a band of Indians who, were resentful of his presence and of his successful salt business. (HISTORY OF PIKE COUNTY, 977-8)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spencer Township
Description:One of the original townships, organized in 1821, and named from Spencer Creek (q.v.), which crosses the southeastern part of empty into Salt River. (RALLS ATLAS 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spratswell School
Description:See Piddletown School
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Squire Brothers Branch
Description:A small branch of Salt River, in Saverton Township. Named for an early settler of the county, Squire Brothers, who took up land in 1832. (ORIGINAL RALLS PLAT BOOK, RALLS ATLAS 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. Paul's Catholic Church
Description:In southwestern Center Township, west of Center. Organized about 110 years ago, being one of the oldest Catholic Churches in northeast Missouri. The present fine building was erected in 1860. Named for the apostle. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. Paul's School
Description:In Center Township. Named for St. Paul's Catholic Church (q.v.) in the same community. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. Peter's Catholic Church
Description:In eastern Saline Township, southwest of Shiel. Named for the apostle. It is sometimes referred to as Brush Creek Catholic Church from its location on the creek by that name (q.v.). (RALLS ATLAS 1904)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. Vrains Mill
Description:See Picketts Mills
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Straight Branch
Description:A branch of Spencer Creek in western Jasper Township. The name is descriptive of its course. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stringtown
Description:See Oakwood
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugar Creek
Description:A tributary of Salt River, in Center and Spencer Townships. See above. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugar Grove
Description:A settlement in northwestern Center Township, on Sugar Creek. Named from the sugar maple trees. (Maps 1844-1886; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sunnyside School
Description:In Clay Township. Named from its location on a slope running up from Salt River and facing south. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Swell Head School
Description:In Center Township, one mile south of Center. Discontinued when a school was founded in Center. Its name is one which expresses the derision of the sturdy illiterates of pioneer days who were scornful of those who promoted educational interests. (W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tanyard Branch
Description:A tributary of Salt River, in southeastern Clay Township. Named from the fur tannery that once operated near the creek. The creek is also spoken of as Tanyard Hollow; the country it drains, "the Old Tanyard." (Mrs. E. Manzke, Corman Rosser)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tanyard Hollow
Description:See Tanyard Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Taylor
Description:See Clemens
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Taylor Branch
Description:A small tributary of Lick Creek, in Salt River Township at the edge of Perry. Named for a pioneer landowner, Squire J.W. Taylor. (RALLS ATLAS 1904; W.W. Crockett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Taylor Island
Description:In the Mississippi River, above Gilbert Island. It was once owned by Ray T. Taylor. (W.E. Holliday)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:The Old Tanyard
Description:See Tanyard Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Trabue's Lick
Description:One of the earliest salt mills of the county, named for its operator, Antoine Trabue, a French explorer and musician, who is said to have introduced draft horses into northeast Missouri from France and bees from Italy. (HISTORY OF NORTHEAST MISSOURI, I, 535; W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:In Spencer Township, west and north of New London; a tributary of Salt River. See above. (RALLS ATLAS 1878; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Chapel Christian Church
Description:In Jasper Township, southeast of Center. An ideal name. This name was frequently attached to churches of this denomination, since its emphasis was upon unity of the Churches. (B.B. Megown)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Utter
Description:A post office in southeastern Saline Township, established in 1887 and discontinued in 1891. Named for J.B. Utterback, who ran the post office and store. (Mrs. James Culbertson, A. Lee Ely)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vandalia Prairie
Description:A section in northern Cuivre Township extending into Ralls and Pike Counties, most of which region is prairie land. Named for the town (q.v.); a part of the so-called Grand Prairie. (Frank Hendrix, C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Walnut Valley Branch
Description:In eastern Saverton Township, a fork of Mazaruni Creek. Named from the many walnuts in that vicinity, also from the fact that the land in that vicinity is very rough, the creek therefore following a valley. (RALLS WALL MAP; Mr. L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Watson School
Description:In Clay Township. Named for John W. Watson, owner of the land on which the school was built. (Mrs. P.W. Flowerreee, L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Webster School
Description:In Center Township. The school originally met in Little Brick, later in a building on the farm of William Schulse, for whom it was named. Still later, when a building was more centrally located, the directors decided on a name suggested by one of them and called the school Webster. Inormants say it was for Daniel or Noah Webster. (Dr. W.T. Waters, G.E. Yager)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Hartford
Description:A discontinued post office in western Jasper Township, on the 4,000 acre farm of Samuel Spencer from Connecticut. He named it for Hartford, Connecticut. Named West Hartford Post Office on RALLS ATLAS 1878. (Postal Guide 1870-1902; James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Hartford School
Description:In Jasper Township. Named from the abandoned settlement of the same name (q.v.). Nothing but the school remains. (L.C. Northcutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Lick Creek
Description:In Linn and Prairie Townships, Audrain County, joining Lick Creek (q.v.) in Salt River Township, Ralls County. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wilson's Knob
Description:A mound in southeastern Saline Township, well known from the many Indian excavations made there. Named for the owner of the land. (Hardy-Scheetz, 536; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Yager School
Description:In Saline Township. Named for Squire Hurt Yager, owner of the land upon which it was located. (Mrs. G.E. Yager)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names