Putnam County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Abbott School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Anders School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Anderson
Description:The proprietors of this town site were the Milwaukee Land Company. The town was surveyed March 14, 1887. It is on the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railway and has made rapid progress. It was probably named for a railroad official. (HIST. ADAIR, SULLIVAN AND PUTNAM, p. 586)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ayersville
Description:The town was laid out August 5, 1858 for Byse and Martha Miller. The town is now extinct. It took its name from Sam W. Ayres. The town was also known as Wyreka. In the 1880s the name was changed to Powersville, (q.v.). (James McGee; HIST. ADAIR, etc., pp. 581-2; Clark's new SECT. MAP; MISSOURI GAZ. (1878-9), p. 100; MISSOURI GAZETEER (1889), p. 140)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Beary School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Beatty School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Berry School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bradshaw School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brassfield School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brown School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bryant Station
Description:This station took its name from Archibald Bryant, who kept a store there. It was the county seat for a short time until Dodge County was annexed. (James McGee (letter); Mrs. Sarah Harper; Glenn Crockett)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Buchanan School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burns School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carr School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Central City
Description:Central City was surveyed November 1, 1857 by J.H. Runyon and it was so named because it was the center of Dodge County. (James McGee; (letter); HIST. ADAIR, pp. 578-9; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 245)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Central City School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chapel
Description:Chapel was first called Quakerville, as it had been settled by persons of that faith. Later it was changed to Chapel, after the building in which they worshipped. (James McGee (letter), Postal Guide (1904), p. 676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton
Description:Chariton village was so named because of its proximity to the Chariton River. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 584; MISSOURI GAZ., (1899), p. 261; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), P. 252)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clark Husted School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clarksburg
Description:Clarksburg was laid out August 23, 1858 by Jacob L. Clark, William Vaugh and Hugh Hunney. It is quite evident that the village was named for Mr. Clark. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 581)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cook School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cross Roads
Description:See Omaha
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Delpha
Description:"A merchant had a store here and the story goes that he had a beautiful daughter Delpha, hence, the name." (James McGee (letter); MISSOURI GAZ., (1899), p. 312; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dodge County
Description:Dodge County was created by an act approved December 18, 1846. By that act its boundaries and territories were defined. The county was disorganized on March 16, 1853. "The reason for its disorganization was that it embraced a strip of territory about nine miles wide which was claimed by both Iowa and Missouri. The two states agreed to submit the question of ownership to the Federal Courts which in 1852 decided in favor of Iowa." According to the session laws of Missouri, all the business of Dodge County was to be taken over by the Putnam County court. There was no explanation why the name was so-called. (HIST. ADAIR, pp. 587-90; MISSOURI LAWS, 1852-3, pp. 72-4)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dorsett School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Douglas School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:East Dodson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elko (Garfield Springs)
Description:Elko was laid out in 1833 by the Pennsylvania, Iowa and Missouri Mining Company. The agent was a strong Republican so he gave it the name of Garfield Springs. He had discovered that the waters from the springs had valuable medicinal properties. In 1866, the post office was established and as there was some difficulty about securing a name, the name Elko was sent from Washington, D.C. (Postal Guide (1904), p. 676; TOP. MAP, GREEN CITY MISSOURI GAZ., (1899), p. 338; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 334)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elm Branch School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Esper
Description:Esper was a country post office of very short duration. It was probably named for a family. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1899), p. 343; Postal Guide (1904), p. 676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Eureka
Description:Eureka was a pioneer settlement of 175 inhabitants. It was the largest village in Putnam County in 1867. The name must have been borrowed from the town in Illinois. The word is Greek, meaning "I have found it." (Parker, p. 366; Gannett, p. 122)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fife School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fillmore School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fowler School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Franklin School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Friendship School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Galesburg
Description:Ephraim Whitacre was proprietor of the plat. A survey was made March 10, 1858. The town is now extinct. The origin of the name is not known but the naming of the village was probably influenced by the Galesburgs in the east. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 582; Parker, p. 366)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Galesburg School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Glendale
Description:A country post office organized in the 1890s. (TOP. MAP, GREEN CITY; MISSOURI GAZ. (1899), p. 390; Postal Guide (1904), p. 676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Good Hope School [1 of 2]
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Good Hope School [2 of 2]
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grant School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gravel Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gray School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Graysville
Description:James O. Miller started a store at this place in 1867. It is quite evident that the name Millersburg was after Mr. Miller. In 1875, a post office was established at the petition of E. Gray, Dr. Dukes and others. The post office was named Graysville because there was another Millersburg in the state. It took its name from Mr. Gray, one of the petitioners. (TOP. MAP, GREEN CITY; HIST. ADAIR, p. 585; MISSOURI GAZ., (1899), p. 400; MISSOURI GAZ., (1899), p. 400; MISSOURI GAZ., (1879), p. 267; Postal Guide (1904), p. 676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Graysville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Halley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hand School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harmony
Description:See Unionville
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hartford
Description:Hartford is one of the oldest towns in the county. It was once the county seat of Putnam County and after that the county seat was moved to Putnamville. Many cities and villages have this name. The name was transferred from England. (James McGee; TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY; HIST. ADAIR, p. 577; Gannett, p. 151; MISSOURI GAZ. (1879), p. 287)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hartford School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hatfield School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Haynes School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hill School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hogg College School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Holbrook
Description:Holbrook was a country post office near Unionville. The name may have been borrowed from the city in Massachusetts. (Campbell, p. 465; Gannett, p. 158)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Houston School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Howland (Mendota)
Description:This settlement was first known as Mendota. Mendota comes from an Indian word meaning the junction of two trails. The village was surveyed July 9, 1873 and called Howland. No information could be found concerning this name. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 584; Campbell, p. 461; MISSOURI GAZ., (1899), p. 451; MISSOURI GAZ., (1879), p. 305)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Independent School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jones School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Keene School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:King School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ledford School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lemons (Xenia)
Description:The survey of this town was made by Abraham Lemen January 27, 1877. The post office was changed to Lemen Station. In 1878, the post office reopened under the name Xenia. The railroad station is known as Lemons Station. Recently the name has been shortened to Lemons. Thus we see how spelling has made the founder almost forgotten. Listed as Lemonville in 1904. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1889), p. 1537; James McGee, (letter); HIST. ADAIR, pp. 582-3; Postal Guide (1904), p. 675)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lemonville
Description:See Lemons or Xenia (Putnam)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Livonia
Description:Absolam Grogan was proprietor of a store at this place. It was surveyed May 5, 1859. The town was originally named after a log church built and owned by the Cumberland Presbyterians. The name of the church was probably influenced by the name in other states. (Parker, p. 366; Postal Guide (1925), p. 854; HIST. ADAIR, p. 582; James McGee (letter); TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY; MISSOURI GAZ., (1879), pp. 403-4; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 768; Gannett, p. 188)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Loughhead School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Low Ground School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lucerne
Description:The town of Lucerne was started in the spring of 1887. It was probably named for the town of Lucerne in Ohio which in turn borrowed its name from the city in Switzerland. (Gannet, p. 192; HIST. ADAIR, p. 587; MISSOURI GAZ. (1889), p. 779; Postal Guide (1925), p. 854)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mapleton
Description:Mapleton was formerly called Lick Skillet. It is a very small village. (TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY; MISSOURI GAZ. (1889), p. 782; Postal Guide (1904), p.676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mapleton School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Martinstown
Description:Martinstown took its name from Judge Neal Martin and the town was laid off October 30, 1857. For a time a post office was kept there; it is now extinct. (Postal Guide (1904), p. 676; James McGee (letter); TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY; HIST. ADAIR, pp. 579-80; MISSOURI GAZ. (1879), p. 428; MISSOURI GAZ. (1889), p. 810; Mo. Gaz., (1899), p. 794)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McKay School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McKinley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Means School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Medicine Creek
Description:Medicine Creek is said to have been named by the Indians for the reason they found so many herbs on its banks that they used for medicine. (James McGee, (letter)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Medicineville
Description:Medicineville was a pioneer settlement in 1867. It was evidently located on Medicine Creek and took its name from the stream. (Parker, p. 366)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Medicineville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mendota
Description:See Howland
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mendota School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Millersburg
Description:See Graysville
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Milton Lake
Description:"The lake is named after a man who owned it at the time it was named." (James McGee, (letter).
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Vernon School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Omaha
Description:The first house was built in Omaha in 1845, and a grocery store was built in 1850. The original name of this place was Cross Roads because of the crossing of roads there. The name Omaha was given by the post office department. (James McGee, (letter); HIST. ADAIR, p. 578; Mo. Gaz., (1899), p. 883; Mo. Gaz., (1889), p. 904; Mo. Gaz., (1879), p. 485)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pearson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Petty School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pickering School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Home
Description:See Worthington
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Powersville
Description:The Milwaukee Land Company founded this plot and it was surveyed April 22, 1887. It was called Powersville because it was laid out on Mr. Israel Powers' land. He established the first store to serve the men employed in building the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad. (Mo. Gaz., (1889), p. 956; Postal Guide, (1925), p. 854; James McGee, (letter).
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Putnam County
Description:Putnam County was organized February 28, 1845 and was named for General Israel Putnam who was distinguished in the Revolutionary War. Putnam County was concerned with the dispute between Iowa and Missouri over a strip of territory nine miles wide which was claimed for both states. The dispute was settled in 1851 when the Supreme Court awarded this land to Iowa. In an act passed by the state legislature in 1853, Dodge and Putnam Counties were merged. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 555; Eaton, p. 343; Gannett, p. 225; Record of Char. Co., pp. 19-20)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Putnamville
Description:The first county seat of Putnam County was Putnamville which was selected and named by the county commissioners. It remained the county seat until 1849 when the county court ordered that the county seat be again changed to Hartford. When Dodge County combined with Putman in 1854, the county seat was moved to Harmony. The village of Putnamville takes its name from the county (q.v.). (Glenn Crockett; HIST. ADAIR, p. 556; Parker, p. 366; Colton's Map)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Quinn
Description:Quinn was a post office kept at a farmhouse. (Mo. Gaz. (1899), p. 936; Postal Guide (1904), p. 676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rosewood
Description:Rosewood must have been a country post office, which had a very short existence. (Top. Map, Green City; Postal Guide (1904), p. 676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Scotland Ridge
Description:Scotland Ridge is only listed in Parker's MISSOURI AS IT IS IN 1867. It was evidently a pioneer settlement. (Parker, p. 366)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Scott School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sells School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shawneytown (Shoneytown)
Description:Shawneetown was a pioneer settlement in 1867. It must have taken its name from the Shawnee Indians. In 1874, it is listed as Shoneytown, a county post office. The post office was discontinued in 1889. (Parker, p. 366; Campbell, p. 461; Mo. Gaz. (1889), p. 1400)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shoal Creek
Description:Shoal Creek was so named because it was a very shallow stream. (Mrs. Sarah Harper, (Glen Crockett); TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shoney School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sidney
Description:A country post office organized in the 1890s. It probably was named for a prominent man in the vicinity. (TOP. MAP, GREEN CITY; MISSOURI GAZ. (1899), p. 1353; Postal Guide (1904), p. 676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Snyder School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:St. John
Description:St. John was the county seat of Dodge County. According to Mrs. Sarah Harper, an old resident of the county, the town was named so because the county commissioners located the town on St. John's Day, 1846. The chairman of the commission was a Morgan Mason and he suggested that the townsite be called St. John. According to another authority it was named for a prominent family in the community. Both reasons may have influenced the name. (Postal Guide (1904), p. 676; Mo. Gaz. (1879), p. 551; Mo. Gaz., (1889), p. 973; CLARKE'S NEW SECTIONAL MAP; Mrs. Sarah Harper, (Glenn Crockett), Bert Moore)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:St. John School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Starr School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stringtown School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Terre Haute
Description:Terre Haute was named for the town in Indiana. The town in Missouri was laid out April 3, 1858. It is a French name meaning "high land." (James McGee (letter); HIST. ADAIR, p. 580; CLARK'S NEW SECT. MAP.; Mo. Gaz. (1889), p. 1485; Mo. Gaz. (1879), p. 819)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Terre Haute School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thornburg School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tinkham School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Unionville
Description:After Putnam and Dodge Counties consolidated, there was some dispute over where the county seat would be located. After much dispute a site was finally agreed upon and the place was called Harmony. This name did not suit the people so they changed it to Unionville because of the union of Putnam and Dodge Counties. (Williams, HISTORY OF NORTHEAST MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 529; Eaton, p. 343; Gannett, p. 307; James McGee (letter); RECORD OF CHAR. COUNTY, Part II, pp. 19-20; TOP. MAP, GREEN CITY; Stevens, Vol. II, p. 772)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Victory School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wait School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wells School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Dodson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Liberty
Description:A plat was made for the village in 1855 but as this was never recorded it was replatted in 1870. The town was first called Liberty but as there was another town in the state by the same name, the name was changed to West Liberty. (Postal Guide (1904), p. 616; Mo. Gaz. (1879), p. 852; Mo. Gaz. (1899), p. 1465; HIST. ADAIR, p. 578; James McGee (letter); CLARK'S NEW SECT. MAP.)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilkes School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Williamsburg
Description:Williamsburg was laid out for Luther Washburn June 20, 1857. His wife's maiden name was Williams. (HIST. ADAIR, p. 579; Mo. Gaz. (1899), p. 1473; Parker, p. 366)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wolfe School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Worthington
Description:This village was at first called Pleasant Home but the name was changed to Worthington. There was a sheep ranchman by the same name in the village. (James McGee; TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY; Postal Guide (1925), p. 854; Postal Guide (1904), p. 676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wyreka (Wyroka)
Description:Wyreka was laid out by David and Elizabeth Hovey September 14, 1858. The name is listed by Parker as Wyroka. The name is probably borrowed from the town in California, which is spelled Yreka but pronounced Wyreka. It is said to be the word meaning mountain in the Shasta language. The name was probably brought back by the people who went west to seek for gold in 1849. (Parker, p. 366; Kroeber, p. 68; HIST. ADAIR, p. 581)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wyreka School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Xenia
Description:Xenia is a Greek word meaning "friendly hospitality." See Lemons. (Gannett, p. 331)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Yuma
Description:Yuma is a country post office established about 1893-4. It was probably named for the town in Colorado which was named for the Indian tribe, and means "sons of the river." (Mo. Gaz. (1899), p. 1484; Postal Guide (1904), p. 676)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names