Pulaski County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Anderson School
Description:In Cullen Township. Organized in 1900. Named for W.S. Anderson, who donated the land. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ash Cave
Description:In eastern Union Township on the Gasconade River. Many layers of ashes from Indian fires have been excavated in this cave by archaeologists. (J.T. Andres)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Atlantic and Pacific Railroad
Description:See St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bailey
Description:A discontinued post office in Roubidoux Township. It was first known as Dundas post office in 1876. It is not known why. Sometime during the following ten years the name was changed to Bailey for the postmaster, A.R. Bailey. (Postal Guide 1876-1910; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Baldridge
Description:A post office in Piney Township, established in 1886 or earlier and discontinued in 1901. Named for the family who owned the land. (Postal Guide 1886-1901; Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Baldridge Creek
Description:A small tributary of the Big Piney River in Piney Township. Named for the Baldridge family. Cf. Baldridge. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bartlett Springs
Description:A discontinued post office in Cullen Township. A family name. There are three large springs there. Also known as Bates Mill and Bartlett's Mill for former owners of the old mill there. (Postal Guide 1918; HIST. LACLEDE, 128; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bartlett's Mill
Description:See Bartlett Springs
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bates Mill
Description:See Bartlett's Mill
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bates School
Description:In eastern Tavern Township. Named for James Bates, who owned the land. (Thomas J. Cain)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bear Ridge
Description:A ridge on the eastern side of the Gasconade River in Tavern Township. Named for the animal which was once common here. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bear Ridge School
Description:In southern Tavern Township. Named for Bear Ridge (q.v.) on which it was located. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bee Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River in southeastern Union Township. So named because of bee trees in the vicinity. (Campbell's; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bellefonte
Description:A discontinued post office in Liberty Township. It is said to have been named for the place in Tennessee from which the early settlers came. (Postal Guide 1876-1922; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bell's Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River in Tavern Township. A family name. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bell's Creek Christian Church
Description:In Tavern Township on Bell's Creek (q.v.) for which it is obviously named. (HIST. LACLEDE, 164)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Berean Baptist Church
Description:In central Liberty Township. Organized in 1866. Probably named for the church in Beroea, or Berea, in Macedonia, which is highly commended in Acts xvii 10. (HIST. LACLEDE, 158, 159)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bethlehem Baptist Church
Description:In Liberty Township. Named for the birthplace of Jesus (Mat. ii. 1), the name meaning "house of bread." (Robert Page; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Piney
Description:A post office in Piney Township near the Big Piney River (q.v.) for which it is obviously named. (Postal Guide 1886f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Piney River
Description:See Phelps County
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Piney River
Description:Rises in Texas county and empties into the Gasconade River in Pulaski County. One bend about a mile long lies in Spring Creek Township, Phelps County. Also known as Big Piney Creek, Piney River, Piney Creek, and Piney Fork. It is called Big to distinguish it from Little Piney Creek which is distinctly smaller. Named for the pine forests along its upper course. (Taylor; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Spring
Description:At Waynesville. The name is descriptive. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blackbird Creek
Description:Blackbird Creek was probably named after the birds which were seen near there. (TOP. MAP., GREEN CITY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blood School
Description:In western Piney Township. Now abandoned. Named for a Mr. Blood who donated the land. (G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bloodland
Description:A post office in western Piney Township. Named for a Mr. Blood who owned the land. (Postal Guide 1899f; Robert Page; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boatwright Cave
Description:In southern Tavern Township on the Gasconade River. Named for a former owner. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boiling Spring
Description:In Union Township in the bed of the Gasconade River below the mouth of the Big Piney River. Its flow is 42,000,000 gallons per day. The name is descriptive of its bubbling action. It is a cold spring. (McCanse, 28)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brownfield
Description:A discontinued post office in southern Liberty Township. Named for the Brownfield family. (Postal Guide 1900-1930; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bruce Cave
Description:In eastern Union Township on the Gasconade River. Named for the Bruce family who own the land. (J.T. Andres)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buckhorn
Description:A village in western Cullen Township. Named for old Buckhorn Tavern there, a famous stopping place for stagecoaches on the road from St. Louis to Springfield. The sign of the tavern was a large pair of deer antlers over the door. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Burnett School
Description:In central Union Township. A family name. (Mrs. A.S. Lick)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buzzard Roost School
Description:In Liberty Township. Named for the bird which is common here. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:California House
Description:An old tavern located in Cullen Township near Waynesville on the main road from St. Louis to Springfield. It was built early in the 1850s by Hugh McCoin and named by him for the State of California where he had been successful in the gold fields. It is no longer standing. (HIST. LACLEDE, 111, 133; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Calvary Baptist Church
Description:In northeastern Cullen Township near Hooker. Calvary was the hill in or near Jerusalem on which Christ was crucified. (Thos. J. Cain)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cave Spring
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Roubidoux Township. A small spring issues from a cave nearby. (Postal Guide 1937w; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cedar Grove School
Description:In western Liberty Township on the Gasconade River. The name is descriptive. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cedar Hill School
Description:In central Cullen Township. It is named for the cedar trees surrounding it and its location on a hill. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Church of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus
Description:See St. Theresa's Catholic Church.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Church of the Little Flower
Description:See St. Theresa's Catholic Church.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Colly Hollow
Description:A small tributary of the Gasconade River. It rises in Robidoux Township and empties into the Gasconade River in western Cullen Township. Named for Cyrus Colley, who settled here about 1818. (Campbell's; HIST. LACLEDE, 102; ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI V, 263)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Combs
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1893)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Concord Methodist Church
Description:In northwestern Tavern Township. An ideal name. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cookville
Description:A post office in Roubidoux Township. Named for W.J. Cook, who was a storekeeper and mill owner there. (Postal Guide 1886f; HIST. LACLEDE, 151; Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cowan School
Description:In southeastern Tavern Township. Named for the Cowan family. (Thomas J. Cain)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Crocker
Description:A town in Tavern Township laid out in 1869. It was built soon after Humboldt, about a mile north, was abandoned. Named for a stockholder in the A. & P. Railroad, who lived there. (Postal Guide 1876f; HIST. LACLEDE, 150; Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cullen Township
Description:In the central and western part of the county. Organized in 1833. Named for a companion of Joseph Roubidoux, the well-known French trapper and explorer who founded St. Joseph. The Cullen family settled here in 1816. (HIST. LACLEDE, 114; REM. HIST. OZARK REG., 28)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Curtis
Description:A discontinued post office in Cullen Township. Named for J.M. Curtis, an early county judge. (Postal Guide 1915; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Debruin
Description:A discontinued post office in Cullen Township. The origin of the name could not be discovered. (Postal Guide 1867- 1904)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Decker
Description:A discontinued post office in Cullen Township. Named for Charles Decker, a clerk in the store in which the post office was located. (Postal Guide 1902-1910; Eaton, 343; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Devil's Elbow
Description:A post office in northeastern Cullen Township on the Big Piney River. So named because it is on a sharp bend in the river. (Postal Guide 1928f; W.W. Howard)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dixon
Description:A town in northern Union Township laid out in 1869 when the railroad was built to this point. It was named by some of the railroad workers for their home town, Dixon, Illinois. (HIST. LACLEDE, 142; Postal Guide 1876f; W.W. Howard)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Creek
Description:A small dry weather creek in Cullen Township which empties into the Big Piney River. (G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Creek Baptist Church
Description:In Cullen Township about a mile from Dry Creek School (q.v.) and named for it. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Creek School
Description:In Cullen Township on a small dry weather creek which gives it its name. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dublin Baptist Church
Description:In Liberty Township. Some of the Irish laborers who helped build the railroad organized this church about 1870 and named it for Dublin, Ireland. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dundas
Description:See Bailey
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ebb and Flow Spring
Description:In Piney Township. Originally, known as McCourtney Spring for the owner. Also known as Siphon Spring because of the behavior of its water which flows for several hours and then ebbs for a few minutes. Also known as Miller Spring for a former owner. The flow varies from 3,100,000 gal. to 13,000,000 gal. per day. (G.M. Reed; McCanse, 84)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Edanville
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1899, 1910)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fairview Baptist Church
Description:In Roubidoux Township. A descriptive name. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:In Roubidoux Township. A descriptive name. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flynn
Description:A discontinued post office in Liberty Township. Named for Luther Flynn, the first postmaster. (Postal Guide 1904; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fox Crossing School
Description:In northern Union Township near a railroad crossing. Named for the Fox family. (Mrs. A.S. Lick; Thos. J. Cain; W.M. Petty)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Francis
Description:A discontinued post office in Liberty Township. The origin of the name could not be discovered. (Postal Guide 1889-1904; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Franks
Description:A post office and station on the Frisco Railroad in eastern Union Township. Named for Frank Stanzel, a railroad stone mason who lived there. (Postal Guide 1890f; A.S. Lick; W.W. Howard)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Friendship Baptist Church
Description:In eastern Roubidoux Township. An ideal name. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fyan
Description:A discontinued post office in Liberty Township. Named for Robert W. Fyan, representative in Congress 1883-1885, 1891-1895. (Postal Guide 1899-1910; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gaddy School
Description:In southern Union Township. A family name. (Thos. J. Cain)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gasconade Baptist Church
Description:In Union Township on the Gasconade River for which it is named. It was first known as Needmore Baptist Church because it was put to use before it was quite finished. They said, "it needs more work." (Thos. J. Cain; W.M. Petty)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gasconade River
Description:Rises in Pulaski County and flows through Maries County, crosses the southeastern part of Osage County, and empties into the Missouri River in Gasconade County. Coues says it "got its name from the way certain persons bragged about their exploits when they returned to St. Louis." Eaton says the name was applied by the early French to the Indians living on its banks who bragged about their exploits and that the name is also descriptive of the waters of the river, which are "boisterous and boastful." At any rate the name is from the French word "gascon," a boaster, braggart, a Gascon. The Gascons, inhaibitants of the province of Gascony in France, were noted for their boastfulness. The verb, "Gasconner," means to brag. Also "gasconnade" is a noun meaning boast, brag. "Gasconer," to brag and "gasconade" n. are English words. (Eaton, 169; Coues's note, 367; Littre)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gasconade Township
Description:Organized in 1833, now discontinued. Named for the Gasconade River (q.v.), the principal stream in the county. (HIST. LACLEDE, 114)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gascozark
Description:A highway settlement in western Liberty Township. The name is obviously a combination of the names Gasconade and Ozark. It is, of course, in the Ozarks and near the Gasconade River. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gospel Ridge School
Description:In Cullen Township. So named because of its location on a ridge and the fact that it was used for church services.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gramp Cave
Description:In Union Township. Named for Joseph Gramp, the owner. (J.T. Andres)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Haley Bend School
Description:In the southeastern corner of the county on a bend of the Gasconade River. Named for the Haley family who owned the land. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hamilton School
Description:In western Union Township. A family name. (Thos. J. Cain)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hancock
Description:A village in eastern Tavern Township on the Frisco Railroad. Laid out in 1869. The place was first known as Iron Summit because there is iron ore there and it is on one of the highest points in the county. Named for Jap Hancock, an early citizen. (Postal Guide 1876f; HIST. LACLEDE, 118, 151; W.M. Petty; Thos. J. Cain)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hanna
Description:A post office in northern Roubidoux Township. Named for Senator Mark Hanna, who had become famous for managing the presidential campaign of President McKinley. The post office was established the next year after McKinley's death. (Postal Guide 1902f; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Harmony Township
Description:Organized probably in 1834. Now discontinued. Obviously an ideal name. (HIST. LACLEDE, 114)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hawkeye
Description:A post office in the northwest corner of the county. It is so named because from its high position one can see for a long distance. (Postal Guide 1886f; Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hawkins
Description:A discontinued post office in Liberty Township. Also known locally as Punkin Center, a specimen of local humor. The origin of the name, Hawkins, could not be determined. (Postal Guide 1910-1925; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Helm
Description:A station on the Frisco Railroad in northwestern Union Township. Named for the man who entered the land. (R.M.; Thos. J. Cain; W.M. Petty)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:In Liberty Township. Named for the grove of hickory nut trees in which it is located. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hicks School
Description:In northern Tavern Township. A family name. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:High Point School
Description:In northeastern Union Township. The name is descriptive of the location. (Thos. J. Cain; W.M. Petty)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hilton School
Description:In Liberty Township. A family name. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hooker
Description:A village in northeastern Cullen Township on the Big Piney River. Named for a man who, at one time, owned most of the land here. (Postal Guide 1901f; Thos. J. Cain; W.M. Petty)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hopewell School
Description:In eastern Piney Township. Obviously an ideal name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Humboldt
Description:A village in eastern Tavern Township. One mile north of Crocker. Abandoned before 1869. Named for a Mr. Humboldt who owned a store there. (MAP 1873; Thos. J. Cain)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Idumea Baptist Church
Description:In eastern Liberty Township. Organized in 1872. Idumea is another name for the land of Edom or Esau, from which came the ancestors of King Herod. It seems a strange name for a church, but its choice may be explained by the famous 63rd chapter of ISAIAH, beginning "who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah?"--a prophecy taken as referring to Christ. (HIST. LACLEDE, 159; GEN. 36: 8, 9)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Independence Baptist Church
Description:On Highway 66 in western Liberty Township. An ideal name. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Iron Summit
Description:See Hancock
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jones Creek
Description:A small tributary of the Gasconade River in Union Township. A family name. (Campbell's; Thos. J. Cain)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Laquey
Description:A post office in southwestern Cullen Township. A family name. (Postal Guide 1900f; Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lee School
Description:In central Tavern Township. A family name. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Leone
Description:"A town in contemplation in the southeastern part of the county." (HIST. LACLEDE, 131, 151)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:In northern Tavern Township. An ideal name. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Liberty Township
Description:In the western part of the county. Organized 1833. Obviously an ideal name. (HIST. LACLEDE, 114)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lipscomb Mill
Description:See Wheeler
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:In southeastern Union Township. An emblematic name. (Mrs. A.S. Lick)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lone Star School No. 1
Description:In northeastern Robidoux Township. An emblematic name. The "No. 1" is to distinguish it from Lone Star School in Union Township. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Low Gap School
Description:In eastern Cullen Township. The school is located in a break or gap in the hills. (Mrs. A.S. Lick)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lyon
Description:See Richland
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Matthews Prairie
Description:A prairie about four miles square in Union Township. Named for the family which owned it. (G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Maze School
Description:In eastern Cullen Township. Named for James Maze, who owned the land. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:McCourtney Spring
Description:See Ebb and Flow Spring
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Metcalf
Description:A discontinued post office in Cullen Township. Named for H.P. Metcalf, the first postmaster. (Postal Guide 1891; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Miller Cave
Description:In the southeastern corner of the county. Named for the owner. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Miller School
Description:In southern Tavern Township. A family name. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Miller Spring
Description:See Ebb and Flow Spring
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mitchell Chapel Methodist Church
Description:See Mitchell Methodist Church
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mitchell Methodist Church
Description:In eastern Tavern Township. Also known as Mitchell Chapel Methodist Church. Named for Henry Mitchell who donated the land on which the church stands. (Thos. J. Cain; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Moab
Description:A discontinued post office in Cullen Township on the Big Piney River. Named for the land of Moab, east of Palestine, settled by the descendants of Lot. (Gen. xix. 37) (Postal Guide 1891-1921; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Moccasin Bend
Description:A bend in the Gasconade River near Waynesville. So called because its shape resembles a moccasin. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Moro School
Description:In Liberty Township. Organized in 1898. It was named for Moro Castle, at Havana, Cuba, near which occurred the explosion that destroyed the Maine and started the war between Spain and the United States. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mossy Spring
Description:In Tavern Township. Doubtless a descriptive name. (HIST. LACLEDE, 158; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mossy Spring Methodist Church
Description:In Tavern Township. Organized in 1867. Named for Mossy Spring (q.v.) near which it was located. The church is no longer in existence. (HIST. LACLEDE, 158; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mount Gibson School
Description:In Cullen Township. Named for the Gibson family and the fact that it is located on a hill. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mount Olive Baptist Church
Description:Organized in 1880. Probably named for the Mount of Olives at Jerusalem where Christ's ascension took place. (Acts I: 9-12) (HISTORY OF LACELEDE, 160)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Needmore Baptist Church
Description:See Gasconade Baptist Church
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Needmore School
Description:In Union Township near Needmore Baptist Church (q.v.) for which it is named. (Thos. J. Cain; W.M. Petty)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oak Lawn School
Description:In Tavern Township. The name is descriptive. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Old Salt Road
Description:An old road from Jefferson City to a point near Waynesville over which William Moore hauled salt in early days. (HIST. LACLEDE, 109)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Old Wire Road
Description:An old road which followed, in general, the route which is now U.S. Highway 66 from Rolla, union headquarters during most of the Civil War, to Springfield, "the name being due to the fact that a wire was extended along the highway in order to facilitate communication of government headquarters with southwestern points." (OZARK REGION AND PEOPLE, 119)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Onyx
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. Several caves in this county contain onyx. (Postal Guide 1837w)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Palace
Description:A post office in western Piney Township. Named for the early Palace School (q.v.). The town has recently come to life due to the establishment of a C.C.C. camp there. (Postal Guide 1932f; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Palace School
Description:In eastern Robidoux Township near the village of Palace. So named because in former years it was an unusually large and well equipped school. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pine Bluff
Description:A discontinued post office in Piney Township. It is located on a high point or bluff. There are many pine trees in this corner of the county. (Postal Guide 1853, 1867; Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Piney Creek
Description:See Big Piney River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Piney Fork
Description:See Big Piney River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Piney Township
Description:In southeastern Township. Organized in 1853. Named for the stream (q.v.) which crosses it. (HIST. LACLEDE, 114; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pisgah Baptist Church
Description:In central Union Township. Pisgah is a mountain on the eastern side of the Jordan River from which Moses viewed the promised land. (DEUT. xxxiv.1) (HIST. LACLEDE, 160; Thos. J. Cain)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pisgah School
Description:In central Union Township near Pisgah Baptist Church (q.v.) for which it is named. (Thos. J. Cain)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Grove Methodist Church
Description:In southwestern Cullen Township. Organized in 1881. Now abandoned. A descriptive name. (HIST. LACLEDE, 152; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:In southwestern Cullen Township near Pleasant Grove Methodist Church (q.v.) for which it is named. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Portuguese Point
Description:Portuguese Point is a cape on the Gasconade River northeast of Waynesville, Missouri. It is northwest of Hooker and Devil's Elbow. Hooker is two and a half miles away and Devils Elbow is three and a half miles away as the crow flies. It is very near Low Gap and is across the river from it. Named for Portuguese settlers in the area.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Prospect School
Description:In southeastern Liberty Township. The name is descriptive of the site.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pulaski County
Description:Organized by act of legislature Janurary 19, 1833. On the north are Miller and Maries Counties, on the east is Phelps, on the south are Texas and Laclede, on the west are Laclede and Camden. It has been called "the mother of counties" because Phelps entirely, and parts of Crawford, Camden, Miller, Maries, and Texas Counties were formed from it. It was named for Count Casimir Pulaski, the Polish patriot, who fought for the American colonies in the Revolutionary War and was killed at the Battle of Savannah. Pulaski is a stock name found in six other counties and eleven towns. It has also been called "The Switzerland of America" because of its high hill, bluffs, and swift rivers. (LAWS OF MISSOURI 1833; HIST. LACLEDE, 113; OZARK REGION & PEOPLE, 70; G.M. Reed; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Punkin Center
Description:See Hawkins
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Richland
Description:A town in western Liberty Township. Laid out in 1869. Originally named Lyon for General Nathaniel Lyon, who was killed August 10, 1861 in the Battle of Wilson's Creek. When it was discovered that there was another Lyon in the state, the name was changed to Richland for G.W. Rich, a director of the old Atlantic and Pacific Railroad. (HIST. LACLEDE, 138; Postal Guide 1876f; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Roaring Spring
Description:A large spring in southeastern Piney Township emptying into the Big Piney River. So named because of the roaring sound it makes. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Robideauz Township
Description:See Roubidoux Township
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rolling Heath Baptist Church
Description:An abandoned church which was near Rolling Heath School (q.v.) and named for it. Organized in 1888. (HIST. LACLEDE, 160; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rolling Heath School
Description:In Cullen Township in the Big Piney River. When this school was built, it was on a rolling treeless heath, but the heath now has a growth of timber on it. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Roubidoux Creek
Description:A considerable stream which rises in Texas County and crosses the southern part of Pulaski County to empty into the Gasconade River in Cullen Township. Named for Joseph Roubidoux, the French trapper and explorer, (1783-1868). (HIST. LACLEDE, 114; Campbell's; G.M. Reed; DICT. OF AM. BIOG.)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Roubidoux Methodist Church
Description:An abandoned church in Roubidoux Township and obviously named for the creek (q.v.) on which it is located. (HIST. LACLEDE, 165)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Roubidoux Spring
Description:A large spring flowing from 7,750,000 to 47,000,000 gallons per day in Cullen Township near Roubidoux Creek (q.v.) for which it is obviously named. Also known as Waynesville Spring for the town near which it is located. (McCanse, 106, 122; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Roubidoux Township
Description:The southern Township. Spelled Robideaux in Campbell's ATLAS (1873). Named for Roubidoux Creek (q.v.) which crosses it. (HIST. LACLEDE, 115; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Saint Annie
Description:A discontinued post office in Robidoux Township. Named by soldiers who had returned from the Mexican War for Santa Anna, head of the government of Mexico, 1832-1847. R.M. erroneously shows it in Texas County. "Saint Annie" was their nickname for the famous Mexican general against whom they had fought. (Postal Guide 1876-1895; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Schlicht
Description:A discontinued post office in Tavern Township on the Gasconade River. Named for a man who owned a mill there. Note: correct German pronunication retained by the residents. (Postal Guide 1899-1915; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shady Grove School
Description:In Liberty Township. A descriptive name. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sheppard Methodist Church
Description:In central Union Township. Named for the Sheppard family. (Mrs. A.S. Lick)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shockley School
Description:In Cullen Township. Named for the Shockley family. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Siphon Spring
Description:See Ebb and Flow Spring
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:South Pacific Railroad
Description:See St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Springvale
Description:An early settlement which was abandoned long ago but has recently come to life as a highway settlement on U.S. Highway 66. The name is descriptive. (Postal Guide 1867; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. John
Description:In Liberty Township. A station and sidetract on the Frisco Railroad. Obviously named for the apostle, but the reason for the name could not be discovered. (R.M.; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad
Description:Surveyed under the name South Pacific Railroad in 1861. In 1866 it was known as the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad. It is now known as the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad though it is commonly called the Frisco. John C. Fremont was one of the builders. Named for its termini. (HISTORY OF LACLEDE, 119; ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI, V, 449)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Robert (town and church)
Description:This name was the namesake for St. Robert, Pulaski County.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Theresa's Catholic Church
Description:At Dixon. Organized in 1925. The church was finished and dedicated on the day (May 16, 1925) St. Theresa was canonized. St. Theresa was a modern French saint who died in 1897. She was known as the Little Flower of Jesus. The church is also known as Church of the Little Flower and Church of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus. (Rev. S.P. Stocking)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Swede School
Description:In northern Liberty Township. So named because it is in a Swedish community. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Swedeborg
Description:A post office on the Frisco Railroad in Liberty Township. Laid out in 1878 by the Swede Company, who bought the land from the railroad. So named because it is a Swedish settlement. (Postal Guide 1886f; HIST. LACLEDE, 151; Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sweet Home School
Description:In southeastern Tavern Township. Obviously an ideal name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Switzerland of America
Description:See Pulaski County
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tavern Creek
Description:See Big Tavern Creek (Miller).
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tavern Township
Description:In the northeastern part of the county. Named for the creek which heads in it. (Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tribune
Description:A post office in southern Cullen Township. Said to be so named because in early days it was a center for news. (Postal Guide 1886f; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Trower School
Description:In Cullen Township. Named for the Trower family. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Turkey Ridge School
Description:In eastern Liberty Township. It is named for the wild turkey which is still to be found here and for its location on a ridge. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Union Township
Description:In the northeastern part of the county. An ideal name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wayman
Description:An abandoned village southeast of Waynesville. Probably named for a pioneer family. (Robert Page; G.M. Reed; MAP 1857)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Waynesville
Description:The county seat of Pulaski in central Cullen Township. Laid out in 1839. Named by Harvey Wood, who secured the post office for General Anthony Wayne (1746-1796), hero of the Battle of Stony Point. The site was donated for a town in 1834 by William Moore and Josiah Christeson. ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI says the town was laid out in 1834, which seems reasonable since the post office was established in 1837 or earlier and the county was organized in 1833. (Postal Guide 1837f; HIST. LACLEDE, 124, 148; ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI, VI, 412; J.C. TRIB., October 5, 1893, p. 4; DICT. OF AM. BIOG.)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Waynesville Spring
Description:See Roubidoux Spring
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wharton
Description:A discontinued post office in Cullen Township. Organized in 1881. Cf. Zion Hill Baptist Church (Phelps). (HIST. LACLEDE, 162; Robert Page)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names