Polk County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adonis
Description:Adonis was an early trading-point at or near the pioneer mill built by Flowers. The name is from Greek mythology, but the reason for its selection is unknown. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Aldrich
Description:Aldrich was built at the coming of the Kansas City, Clinton and Springfield Railroad in 1885 and was named for a high official of the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Memphis Railroad. (E.E. Moore; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Appleby Mill
Description:Appleby Mill was a pioneer mill built by Applsby on Little Sac River in the southwest part of the county. It was named for its owner. (E.E. Moore; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Asher Creek
Description:Asher Creek was named for Samuel Asher, who came in 1833. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Barren Creek
Description:Barren Creek was named for Barren River in Kentucky by the pioneers who came from that state. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Batton Mill
Description:Batton Mill was built on Lindley Creek about 1838 by a Mr. Batton. (John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bear Creek
Description:Bear Creek, which rises near Boliver and flows westward to Sac River, was so named because of the many bears in its vicinity in the early days. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Benton Township
Description:Benton Township is one of the original townships of Polk County. It was named for Senator Thomas H. Benton. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Black Oak School
Description:Named for its location
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bloomer School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bolivar
Description:Bolivar was named for the county seat of Hardeman County, Tennessee, BOLIVAR, which had been named for Simon Bolivar, the patriot who freed Peru from the Spanish yoke 1811-1825. (T.G. Rechow; Eaton (28), p. 342; Missouri (16), p. 300)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brighton
Description:Brighton is a pioneer town where once the overland stage was accustomed to stop on its way to California. It was named by the early settlers for Brighton, Tipton County, Tennessee. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brighton School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brooks School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:Brush Creek flows by Humansville northeastward to Sac River. It was named by pioneers for the brushy land it drains. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:Brush Creek flows northeastward to Pomme de Terre. Like the Brush Creek near Humansville, it was named by pioneers for the brushy land it drains. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brush Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Burns
Description:Burnes was named for Thomas J. Burnes, the father of Captain James W. Burnes of the 15th Missouri Cavalry during the Civil War. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Campbell Township
Description:Campbell Township was cut off of Johnson and Madison Townships in 1885 and named for Glaves Campbell, an officer in the Seminole Indian War of 1835-1842. (T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Carter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cedar Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cherry Vale School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clark School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clifford
Description:Clifford was a small trading-point. Mr. Shannon and Mr. Richey think it was probably named for a boy in the family of the owner of the store. (H.M. Richey; John F. Shannon)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cliquot
Description:At the time the Frisco Railroad was extended on to Kansas City (in 1890) Ben F. Leonard, who owned the land at this place, gave the site for the town and named it Cliquot in honor of his race horse. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cliquot School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:College Hill School
Description:A transferred name from the bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Collins School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Concord School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cooper School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Coy School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Deer Creek
Description:Deer Creek, a small stream flowing into the Pomme de Terre, was so named by the pioneers because of the abundance of deer along the creek. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dewey
Description:Dewey is a little trading-point which was named in 1898 in honor of Admiral George Dewey of the Spanish American War. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dry Fork
Description:Dry Fork, a small creek flowing into Pomme de Terre, was so named from its characteristic of being dry at times. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dunnegan (Springs)
Description:In 1885 T.H.B. Dunnegan asked George R. Nettleton, General Manager of the railroad, to name the station Dunnegan Springs in honor of the Dunnegan family, the first settlers there. Mr. Nettleton did as requested, but some years later "a crank in the Postal Department wanted to shorten all names and had the Springs cut off." (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dunnegan School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dunnegan's Mill
Description:The grandfather of T.H.B. Dunnegan of Bolivar settled near the big spring close to the present Dunnegan. Later he built a mill on Spring Branch about two miles below the spring. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Eagle Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Edgewood School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Eidson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Elm Grove School (2)
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Eudora Springs
Description:Eudora Springs is a health resort a half-mile east of Eudora. It is a common feminine Christian name, but the reason for its selection is not known. (E.E. Moore; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Eurora (earlier Sharon, q.v. -- Gulf P.O.)
Description:Eudora is the name of a railroad station formerly known as Sharon. The change of this name was made because freight often went to a Sharon in northern Missouri. Eudora was named for Eudora Springs, a health resort nearby. (E.E. Moore; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fair Play (earlier Oakland, q.v.)
Description:A Mr. Bowen owned a store just south of the present site and called it Oakland, but when he asked for a post office there was another Oakland in the state. Then John W. Wakefield and Millard W. Easley donated a new site just north of the store, and Mr. Wakefield said, "We'll just call it Fair Play." (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fair View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Flemington
Description:Flemington, built after the extension of the Frisco (1898) from Bolivar to Kansas City, was named for Robert L. Fleming, who gave the site for the town. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Flemington Township
Description:Flemington Township was named for the town in it. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Flint School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Flowers Mill (first Simpson Mill, q.v.; next Lightfoot Mill, q.v.)
Description:Flowers Mill was named for its last owner. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Forest Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fox School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Glaze Creek
Description:A small tributary of Current River in Poynor Township. A family of that name is said to have lived here before 1850. More probably, however, it is an old French name of similar origin to Glaze, Glaize, Auglaize, or Grand Auglaize Creek in Camden and Miller counties (see Mr. Weber's thesis): i.e., a topographical or descriptive name from the French "au glaize" or "au glaise," meaning "at the clay or lick." McDermott in his GLOSSARY OF MISSISSIPPI VALLEY FRENCH (p. 81), explains the term as one used by the French hunters for places the Americans called "licks" for the wild animals, or "salines." (Mrs. Sarah Misel)
Source:Pottenger, Cora Ann. "Place Names Of Five Southern Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1945.

Place name:Gold
Description:Gold is a small trading-point in the south part of the county. There has been a good deal of prospecting for gold in the vicinity, so the name probably came from the search for gold. (R.L. Myers)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Goodnight
Description:Goodnight was named for J.H. Goodnight, who built and operated Goodnight's Mill (q.v.) on the Pomme de Terre River soon after the Civil War and was the postmaster and merchant there for many years. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan; Missouri (16), p. 337)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Goodnight's Mill
Description:This mill was built and named for its owner, J.H. Goodnight, soon after the Civil War. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Goodson
Description:Goodson, established about 1870, was named for Sam Goodson, a son of a Mr. Goodson who was assessor for many years beginning soon after the organization of the county. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Graydon
Description:Graydon is the railroad station near Graydon Springs. It took its name from the town of Graydon Springs (q.v.). (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Graydon Springs
Description:Graydon Springs, opened as a health resort by Adams and Cummings in 1888, had been named in 1884 by Captain Rodgers and the Frisco attorney, John O'Day, for Mr. Graydon, an officer of the Frisco Railroad. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; Missouri (16), p. 266)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Green Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Green Leaf School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Green Mound School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Greene Township
Description:Greene Township was named for General Greene of the Revolutionary War. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gresham
Description:Gresham was established during the 1880s and was named for Walter Q. Gresham, who was Secretary of Treasury, 1884, under Grover Cleveland. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gulf Post Office (earlier Sharon, q.v.; then Eudora, q.v.)
Description:Gulf was the name given to the post office at Sharon. The Kansas City, Clinton and Springfield Railroad was a branch of the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad, so the name of the post office was taken from the railroad. (E.E. Moore; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Half Way
Description:Half Way and named by Squire Askren, who was its first postmaster, before the Civil War. It is half way from Bolivar to Buffalo. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Half Way School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Heydon School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hickory Point
Description:"In the southwest part of Three Mound Prairie, at Hickory Point, William Jamieson opened the first retail store in the county." It was near a little grove of hickory trees which extended out to a point in one direction. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hickory Point School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hominy Creek
Description:Hominy Creek empties into Pomme de Terre from the east. The source of the name is not known. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hopkins School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Huckaby
Description:Huckaby is a small trading-point which has been in Polk County about thirty years. It was named for a family of that name. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Humansville
Description:Judge James G. Human of Illinois settled at the big spring in Humansville in 1834 and afterwards held many positions of trust in the county. The town was named for him. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Huron
Description:Huron was an early store and post office and was named for Huron, Henderson County, Tennessee, by settlers from that state. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Independence School (2)
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ingalls
Description:Ingalls was named for a family by the name of Inglis, who came there in 1880. John Inglis, one of the members of the family, is still living. Between 1885 and 1890 Mr. Dunnegan asked that the post office be named for the Inglis family. The spelling of Ingalls is an error. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Inglis Creek
Description:Inglis Creek was named for John Inglis and family, who came to Polk County in 1880. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Inglis School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Jackson Township was named for Andrew Jackson, President of the United States 1829- 1837. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jasper Township
Description:Jasper Township was named for Sergeant William Jasper of the Revolutionary War. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:Jefferson Township was named for Thomas Jefferson. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Johnson Township
Description:Johnson Township was named for Richard M. Johnson, Vice President of the United States. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Johnston School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jordan Creek
Description:Jordan, a creek emptying into Lindsey Creek, was named for a family of Jordans living nearby. (T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Karlin (earlier Treemont, q.v.)
Description:Karlin is a small railroad town in a Bohemian settlement. It was originally Treemont, but when the seven sons of Franca arrived, 1890-1895, they changed the name to Karlin in honor of a city in the extreme northern part of Bohemia. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; Atlas (52)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kinder School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:King Branch
Description:King Branch, a beautiful stream in the western part of the county, rises from some big springs on land owned by the King families since pioneer days. (R.L. Myers)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:King School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Knapp School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lee School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Leith School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lick Skillet (later Pin Hook, q.v.; then Pleasant Hope, q.v.)
Description:Lick Skillet was an early, fanciful name for Pleasant Hope. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lightfoot's Mill (first Simpson's Mill, q.v.; finally, Flower's Mill, q.v.)
Description:Lightfoot's Mill was named for its owner. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lindley Creek
Description:Lindley Creek flows into Brush Creek in the northeastern part of the county. It was named for the prominent pioneer family of Lindleys. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lindsey Creek
Description:Lindsey Creek flows into Pomme de Terre. It was named for a pioneer family. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Little Sac River
Description:Little Sac River was named from Sac River (q.v.), because it is the largest tributary to Sac River. (T.G. Rechow; E.E. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Looney Township
Description:Looney Township took its name from the pioneer family of Benjamin Looney, who settled there in 1845. (T.G. Rechow; Missouri (16), p. 276)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Madison Township
Description:Madison Township was named for James Madison, President of the United States. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Marion Township
Description:Marion Township was named in honor of Francis Marion. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McKinley Township
Description:McKinley Township was named about 1910 in honor of William McKinley, President of the United States. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McKinney School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McKinney's Branch
Description:McKinney's Branch empties into Pomme de Terre from the west. It was named for a family living near it. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Miller Township
Description:Miller Township was established in 1838 by an order of the court and was named for a local landowner. (T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mission
Description:Many years ago a man in Pennsylvania donated land for a church and school in this location. The place was called Mission because of this gift and its purpose. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mohawk
Description:Mohawk was named by the pioneers for Mohawk, Greene County, Tennessee. (T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Montgomery School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mooney Township
Description:Mooney Township was named for John Mooney and family, who came to that region in 1835. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Moore School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Morgan Township
Description:Morgan Township was laid out in 1835 at the first meeting of the county court. It was named for Lewis Morgan, an influential pioneer. (Missouri (16), p. 287)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Morrisville (earlier Pleasant Prairie, q.v.; then Mount Pleasant, q.v.)
Description:Morrisville was named for Morris Mitchell, who gave land for the site of a Methodist college there in 1870. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Morrisville Station
Description:Morrisville Station was named for Morrisville (q.v.), for which it is the railroad station. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Bethel School
Description:A transferred name from the bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Etna School
Description:A transferred name from the bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Herman School
Description:A transferred name from the bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Pleasant (earlier Pleasant Prairie, q.v.; finally Morrisville, q.v.)
Description:Mount Pleasant was the name given to Pleasant Prairie by local inhabitants, probably because they noticed that the commanding position of the town on a high hill was the very antithesis of the "prairie" part of the name. It finally became Morrisville. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:New Bethel School
Description:A transferred name from the bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:New Home School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:New Hope School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:New Market
Description:New Market, an active trading-point laid out by William Campbell, broke up in 1852 when he went to California. Probably it was named for one of the ten other New Markets, or Newmarkets, in the United States. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; Missouri (16), p. 278)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Nox
Description:Nox is a little trading-point on King Branch, four miles east of Dadeville. It was named by one of the owners of the store, Lee Wheeler, who had learned a little Latin. The dense shade of the black oak grove suggested the Latin word "nox," night, as a descriptive term. (W.E. Petty)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oak Grove School (3)
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oakland (later Fair Play, q.v.)
Description:Oakland is the name a Mr. Bowen gave to his store just south of the present site of Fair Play. No reason for the name is definitely known, but the beautiful grove of oaks makes the origin of the name evident. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Opossum Creek
Description:Opossum Creek empties into Pomme de Terre a half mile below Stinking Creek. It was so named by early settlers because of the great number of opossums along its bank. (T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Orleans
Description:Orleans is a very old trading-point on Little Sac south of Aldrich. It was named for New Orleans, because so much trade from this region was carried on with that market. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Orleans School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ozark School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Panther Creek
Description:Panther Creek, in the northwest part of the county, flows into Brush Creek. It was so named because of the panthers along its course in the early days. (T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Payne's Prairie
Description:Payne's Prairie is a prairie in the northern part of the county. It was named for a pioneer family. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Payne's Prairie Post Office
Description:Payne's Prairie Post Office was named for the prairie on which it is located. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Persimmon Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pickel School
Description:A nickname.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pinhook (earlier Lick Skillet; then Pin Hook; finally Pleasant Hope, q.v.)
Description:Pin Hook was an early fanciful name for Pleasant Hope. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Piper Creek
Description:Piper Creek, in the southern part of the county, flows into the Pomme de Terre from the west. It was named for an early family living in the vicinity. (T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Hope (earlier Lick Skillet, q.v.; then Pin Hook, q.v.)
Description:Pleasant Hope is a trading-point in the southern part of the county. It got its name from the Cumberland Presbyterians, who had a little academy there and had a "pleasant hope" for its future. Earlier, however, it had been known as Lick Skillet, and Pin Hook (or Pinhook). (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Prairie (later Mount Pleasant, q.v.; then Morrisville, q.v.)
Description:Pleasant Praire was so named because it was a pleasant place to live. It later bore the names of Mount Pleasant and Morrisville. (Missouri (16), p. 330)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Vale School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Plum Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Polk County
Description:Polk County was organized on March 14, 1835, by a supplemental act to correct an error in the boundaries of the act of January 5, 1835. An influential man, John P. Campbell, who was a second cousin to Congressman James K. Polk, later President Polk, suggested that they name the county Polk and his suggestion was adopted. (Eaton (28), p. 342; Session Acts 1834-1835)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Polk County Post Office
Description:Polk County Post Office was an early village four miles northeast of Payne's Prairie (post office) and was named for the county. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Polktown
Description:Polktown was the name of a store and post office established by J.M. Zumwalt in 1879 and named for the county. (Missouri (16), p. 337)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pomme de Terre River
Description:The Pomme de Terre River was named by the early French travelers because of a potato- like plant growing on some of the marsh land near the river. Traces of the plant can still be found there to corroborate this story told by pioneers of the origin of the name. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Potts School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Providence School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ratcliff School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rice School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rice's Mill (earlier Strain's Mill, q.v.)
Description:The old site of Rice's Mill is on Little Sac River a short distance below Aldrich. It got its name from B.B. Rice, one of the men to whom John Strain sold it. (E.E. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rimby
Description:Rimby was a store established by W.B. Rimby. (George W. Kime)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Roberts School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rock Prairie School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rock School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rondo
Description:Rondo was a small store owned by a Mr. Schooley, who named it for the postmaster, Mr. Rondo. (Missouri (16), p. 337)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rondo Institute
Description:Rondo Institute was an institution of learning established before the Civil War a half mile north of Rondo post office, for which it was named. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rondo School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rose Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rosebud School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Runyan School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sac Township
Description:Sac Township was named from Sac River.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Schell
Description:Schell is a trading-point, the origin of whose name is not known. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Schofield
Description:In about 1870 Schofield was named for a pioneer Baptist minister, a local landowner, and a Civil War veteran. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Schofield School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Scrougeou School
Description:A nickname.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sentinel Prairie (earlier Vaughn's Stand, q.v.; then South Prairie, q.v.)
Description:Sentinel Prairie is the name of a post office and store which had been known earleir as Vaughn's Stand. It probably takes its name from the fact that, like a sentinel, it stands out over the surrounding country. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shady Grove
Description:The saw and shingle mill, built by Thomas B. Slagle in 1872-1874, was named Shady Grove because of the beautiful grove of shade trees in which it was located. (E.E. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sharon (later Eudora, q.v.; P.O. Gulf, q.v.)
Description:Sharon was the name of the railroad station just after the coming of the Kansas City, Clinton and Springfield Railroad in 1885. It is a Bible name, but it was probably named for one of the eighteen other Sharons in the United States. (E.E. Moore; Missouri (16), p. 337)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shelby Township
Description:Shelby Township was laid out and named by the court in 1836, probably for one of the ten other Shelbys in the United States. (Missouri (16), p. 287)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shules Creek
Description:Shules Creek, which empties into Pomme de Terre from the east, was named for a pioneer family. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Simpson's Mill (later Lightfoot Mill, q.v.; finally Flowers Mill, q.v.)
Description:Simpson's Mill was named for its owner, who built it on the Pomme de Terre River prior to the Civil War. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Slagle
Description:Slagle is a pioneer village south of Bolivar. It was named for the early Slagle family. (T.G. Rechow; Missouri (16), p. 338)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Slagle Creek
Description:Slagle Creek, which flows westward just north of Morrisville to Little Sac, was named for the pioneer family of Slagles who settled near the source of the stream. (E.E. Moore; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Slagle School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:South Prairie (earlier Vaughn's Stand, q.v.; later Sentinel Prairie, q.v.)
Description:South Prairie was so named because it was a prairie in the southern part of the county. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spring Creek
Description:Spring Creek is the little stream along which the pioneer Dunnegan family settled in the western part of the county. It was named for the big spring at its source. It empties into Bear Creek. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Star Ridge School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stinking Creek
Description:Stinking Creek is a small stream which flows into the Pomme de Terre. It was so named because it drained some marsh land which often emitted an unpleasant odor. (E.E. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Strain's Mill (later Rice's Mill, q.v.)
Description:Strain's Mill, which is the oldest mill in this section of Missouri, was built in the 1850s by John Strain, who, after a few years, traded it to B.B. Rice and S.D. Strain. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; Missouri (16), p. 338)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sunset
Description:Sunset was the fanciful name given to a little store and post office about forty years ago. It was probably named from one of the seven other Sunsets in the United States. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sunset School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Three Mound Prairie
Description:Three Mound Prairie is the name of a little prairie that is so named because it has on it three mounds which stand out prominently above the surrounding land. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Tomahawk Creek (later Tommy Creek, q.v.)
Description:Tomahawk Creek was named from the tomahawk found along its course after the Indians had been there. The name is still found on very old county maps. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Tommy Creek (earlier Tomahawk Creek, q.v.)
Description:The name of Tommy Creek, which flows into Slagle Creek north of Morrisville, is a clipped form for Tomahawk Creek. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Treemont (later Karlin, q.v.)
Description:Treemont is an old trading-point. The name is said to be a corruption of Three Mound Prairie, or "Three Mounds," near it. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Tuck School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:Turkey Creek, which flows into Little Sac, was named in the early days for the abundance of wild turkeys in the vicinity. (E.E. Moore; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Tyler Township
Description:Tyler Township is one of the original townships. It was named for the United States President, John Tyler. (T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union Grove School (2)
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union Ridge School
Description:Anm ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union School (2)
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union Township
Description:Union Township was formed out of Jackson and Madison Townships about forty years ago. It was so named because it was made by the union of parts of the two townships. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Van
Description:William S. Burns, who was a landowner at this place, named the little trading-point for his son, Van Burns. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Van Buren Township
Description:Van Buren Township is one of the original townships. It was named for the United States President, Martin Van Buren. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Van School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Vaughn's Stand (later South Prairie, q.v.; finally Sentinel Prairie, q.v.)
Description:Jeremiah Vaughn built the first store at this place in 1863 and gave it his name. The word "stand" is commonly used in the southern states to refer to a little trading-point. This accounts for the suffix "Stand." (T.G. Rechow; Missouri (16), p. 338)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Victor School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Violet
Description:Violet is a little trading-point about forty years old. Tradition says it was named for a woman in the vicinity. (T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Walnut Creek
Description:Walnut Creek is a small creek near Aldrich and flows into Little Sac. It was so named because of the abundance of walnut trees along its course. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; E.E. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Washington Township
Description:Washington Township, organized February 9, 1835, was named for George Washington. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Watson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wells School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:West Bend
Description:West Bend was a trading-point in a west bend of Little Sac River three miles southeast of Morrisville. It was named from its location. (E.E. Moore; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:West Union School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wilmington School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wilson Creek
Description:Wilson Creek, a small stream which flows into the Pomme de Terre from the east, was named for a family on its course. (T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wilson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wishart
Description:Wishart is a village on the Frisco south of Bolivar. It was named about 1885 for Dr. Wishart, general passenger agent for the Frisco Railroad. (T.G. Rechow; Missouri (16), p. 337)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wishart School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wishart Township
Description:Wishart Township was named for the town within its boundaries. (E.E. Moore; T.G. Rechow)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Woodlawn School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Woodward's Mill
Description:Before the Civil War a Mr. Woodward built this mill on Little Sac River. It was called by the owner's name. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names