Platte County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Artesian
Description:See Tiffany Springs
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Artesian Springs
Description:See Tiffany Springs
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Atchison Junction
Description:See Edgerton Junction
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad
Description:When the name was given to this railroad Atchison and Topeka, Kansas were the termini. The name Santa Fe was added because the ambition of the officials was to build it to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Today the road serves a territory from Chicago to California. (HISTORY OF JACKSON 1881, 192; Gilliland)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Baffin's Bay and Patagonia Road
Description:A name given in derision to the proposed and seemingly impossible Lake Superior, Kansas City and Gulf Railroad. Baffin's Bay is in the Arctic regions, and Patagonia is the most southern section of Argentine, South America. (K.C. 1816-1877, 7)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bailey School
Description:See Enterprise School
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Barry
Description:A town on the Clay-Platte County line. Having been established as an Indian trading post about 1830, it is one of the oldest towns in this section of the country. It was named for W.T. Barry (1785-1835), who became Postmaster-General in 1829. (Map 1842; Woodson 1920; 190; Paxton, 12)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bean Lake
Description:A resort lake in western Marshall Township. Named for Benjamin Bean, an early settler near the lake. Formerly written Bean's Lake. (Paxton, 140, Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bean Lake Station
Description:In western Marshall Township. Named from Bean Lake (q.v.). (ATLAS PLATTE 1907, 7; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bean's Lake
Description:See Bean Lake
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bear Creek
Description:Rises in northern Marshall Township, flows southwest and empties into the Missouri River. In an early day a Mr. Henson killed a black bear near the creek. (Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bear Creek Church
Description:See Salem Church.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bee Creek
Description:Rises in southern Buchanan County, flows southwest and empties into the Missouri River. Named from the swarms of bees which were found along the stream. (Map 1855; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Beery School
Description:In northeastern Preston Township. Named for R.W. Beery, a landowner of the district. (Max Jones; Gustin)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bethel Christian Church
Description:An early day Christian church northwest of New Market. When the building decayed most of the members went into the organization at New Market. Named for Bethel, Palestine, the scene of Jacob's vision. The name means the house of God. (Gen. 28; 11-19). (Haley, 366)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Beverly Station
Description:A small town in southwestern Fair Township. Named for a Burlington Railroad official (Postal Guide 187 ff; Max Jones; Dr. Redmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Big Branch
Description:Rises in southwestern Carroll Township, flows northwest and empties into Prairie Creek. It is the largest stream in the vicinity. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907, 7; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Big Sugar Lake
Description:A lake in the northwestern part of Marshall Township. It was named from the many big sugar maple trees in the vicinity. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907, 7; Bless)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Block School
Description:In western Marshall Township, was organized in 1869 and named for Dave Block, who operated a sawmill near the school. (PLATTE CITY, supplement of THE LANDMARK, November 15, 1929; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Boydston School
Description:In central Map Township. Named for Ben Boydston, who owned the school site. (Max Jones; Dean)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Brenner Ridge School
Description:In eastern Pettis Township, located on a ridge. John W. Brenner donated the land for school purposes. (M. Johnson; PLATTE CITY supplement of THE LANDMARK, November 15, 1929)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Brink School
Description:In eastern Pettis Township. Named for Elijah W. Brink who donated the land for school purposes. (PLATTE CITY supplement of THE LANDMARK November 15, 1929; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Brown School
Description:Five miles east of Platte City. Named for a pioneer family. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Brown Station
Description:Four miles east of Platte City. A former station on the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban. Named for the Brown School (q.v.). (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:Rises in northern May Township, flows southwest and empties into the Missouri River. There is much brush along the river. (Paxton, 526; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Brush Creek Church
Description:A church of the Disciples of Christ in northern Pettis Township, located on the creek from which it takes its name. (Haley, 373; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Buena Vista
Description:An early day town in Green Township a short distance north of the present Camden Point. Colonel James N. Burnes founded the town in 1841, and named it for Buena Vista, Mexico. The town prospered eight or ten years, and then the business moved to Camden Point. (Map 1855; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885; Dr. Redmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Burne's Lake
Description:In southern Lee Township. James N. Burne, representative in congress 1882-1884, was influential in getting congress to buy the land for a public lake. The name is sometimes misspelled Burn's Lake. (Bless)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Burrus School
Description:In eastern Marshall Township. Named for Phillip Burrus, a primitive Baptist preacher, and owner of the school site. (Pepper; Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bywaters
Description:A former station on the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban in south-central Green Township. Named for the family who owned the land where the station was located. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Camden Point
Description:A town in southeastern Green Township. Paxton states that the nucleus of the town was the post office established in the home of a Scottish school-master on a high point near the present town. He wanted to call the office Camden; but the work Point was added to distinguish it from another Camden in the state. The name has been used at least since 1846. The origin of the name was not found in at least twenty states. The American Camdens are all doubtless ultimately derived from Camden or Campden in Oxfordshire, England. (Goodwin 1867; Paxton, 76)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Carroll Township
Description:The east-central Township is one of the six original townships set apart in 1839. The origin of the name was not ascertained. Carroll was not found as a local name before 1839. Possibly the name was given in honor of Charles Carroll (1737-1832), a Revolutionary leader, and one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. (Paxton, 30, 31)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad
Description:The railroad originally extended from Chicago to Quincy, Illinois. Later it extended north to Burlington, Iowa. This road bought the Kansas City and Cameron Railroad, a railroad named for the two Missouri towns. It was a branch of the first Missouri railroad of any extent, the Hannibal and St. Joseph, a road completed in 1859. The Kansas City and Cameron bore the pretentious name of Lake Superior, Kansas City and Gulf (q.v.). (HISTORY OF JACKSON 1881, 464, 486; Yocum)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Chicago, Great Western Railroad
Description:Chicago is the eastern terminus of this road, which serves the Middle West. The term Great Western applies thus to the Central West rather than to the Far West. Then main tracks form a shape like a maple leaf, and the road is sometimes called the Maple Leaf. (McGinnitey)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad
Description:Chicago and Rock Island, Illinois are the east termini of the railroad. It was intended to extend the road to the Pacific; but at the present the west termini reaches Denver, Colorado and Santa Rosa, New Mexico. (HISTORY OF JACKSON 1881, 192; J.R. Cox)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:City Point
Description:See East Leavenworth
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Clear Branch
Description:Rises in Carroll Township, flows northwest, and empties into Platte River. The stream fed by springs is very clear. (Flannery)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Cockerill Lake
Description:Six miles east of Platte City, located on a farm owned by Thomas Cockerill. (Dawson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Collins School
Description:In southeastern Preston Township. Named for the landowner, Perry Collins. (Wilson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Cook School
Description:In central Marshall Township. Named for W.B. Cook, a prominent man and landowner of the dsitrict. (Max Jones; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Cox School
Description:In east- central Marshall Township. Named for Allen Cox, a landowner near the school. (Pepper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Davis Chapel
Description:A Methodist Episcopal Church organized in 1860 near Watson, and named for the first pastor. (Williams 1913, Vol. I, 603; Gustin)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Dearborn
Description:A town in north-central Green Township. Named for General Henry Dearborn (1751-1829), a revolutionary soldier, and Secretary of War under President Thomas Jefferson. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Diamond Island
Description:The Lewis and Clark Journal mentions this island and Long's Journal of 1819-1820 locates it five miles above Platte River. The journal states: "...rhomic (rhombic) form has received the name of Diamond Island." (Th's L. and C. Vol. I, Park I, 63; E.W.T. Vol. 14, 174)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Drennon Station
Description:In eastern Pettis Township. Named for William Drennon, who owned the site of the station. (M. Johnson; Wren)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Dry Lake
Description:In northern Waldron Township. More than half the time the lake is dry. (Babcock)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Drydale
Description:See Kirmeyer
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Duncan Station
Description:A former station of the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban in Green Township. Named for Lee Duncan, landowner. (J.S. Williams, Jr.; Wren)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Dye
Description:A store and voting precinct in central Marshall Township. In 1887 J.A. Gillinger moved his store to the place from Iatan. The name was derived from the landowner James Dye. (Postal Guide 1888-1902; Paxton, 862; Bless)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:East Leavenworth
Description:A town in Lee Township, across the Missouri River from the city of Leavenworth, Kansas. A name of direction. In an early day it was called City Point, a name of location. The government postal guides of 1870 and 1876 so name it. Leavenworth, Kansas was first known as Fort Leavenworth. A United States military post was established there in 1827 by Colonel Henry Leavenworth, U.S.A., as an outpost to protect the Santa Fe Trail against Indians. Colonel Leavenworth was later promoted to a Brigadier- General. (Postal Guide 1870, 1876; Postal Guide 1886-1890, 1915 ff; ENCY. BRIT; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Edgerton
Description:A town in northern Preston Township. It was named for an official of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway. (Postal Guide 1876 ff; Gustin; Mrs. Bland)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Edgerton Junction
Description:A junction of two branches of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway two and a half miles west of Edgerton (q.v.). The western Terminus of one branch is Atchison, Kansas, and the place was first known as Atchison Junction. (Postal Guide 1886- 1899; 1900-1915; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885, 1013; Gustin)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Eldorado School
Description:In northeastern Lee Township. The name was formerly Tribble, having been given in honor of a family of the district. A woman of the community asked that the name be changed to the more romantic name of Eldorado, the famous "City of Gold" sought by the Spaniards. The name is today applied to any locality where wealth can be acquired rapidly. (Mrs. Renz)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Elm Grove Church
Description:One mile west of Hampton. A Christian church organized in 1846. Named from its location in an elm grove. (Wren)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:English's Landing
Description:See Parkville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Enterprise School
Description:In northwestern Marshall Township. The school was originally called Bailey for the landowner of the site of the building. When a new building was erected and placed nearer the center of the district, the County Superintendant J.T. Sexton suggested the ideal name, Enterprise. (Woolston)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Estill's Mill
Description:See Union Mills
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fair Township
Description:In March, 1876 the county court divided Lee Township, and the northern part was called Fair, the name being given because in that section was held the county fair, which was established in 1863. This fair has been held annually from the opening year to the present time. (Paxton, 617; Hull)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:In north-central Marshall Township. An appropriate descriptive name, for the school is situated on the divide between Sugar Creek and Bear Creek. (Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fancy Bottom
Description:Bottom land along the Missouri River in northwest Weston Township. Named from the luxuriant growth produced by the rich bottom land. (Paxton, 10; Dr. Redmond; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fancy Bottom School
Description:In northwestern Weston Township. Named for the community, Fancy Bottom (q.v.). (Max Jones; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Farley
Description:A town in southeastern Lee Township. Named for Joseph Farley, an early day landowner of the site of the town. (Postal Guide 1870 ff; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE, 561; ATLAS PLATTE 1907, 7)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Farmer School
Description:Three miles east of Platte City. It was organized in 1845 and named for Axion Farmer, a landowner near the school. (PLATTE CITY supplement to THE LANDMARK. November 15, 1929; Wren)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ferrelview
Description:A town in north-central May Township. Named for Mrs. Mollie Ferrel Heady, who owned the town site. (Ferrel; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Flintlock Church
Description:A country church established in 1840 five miles northwest of Platte City. At first it was known as Unity because it was used by several denominations. Later when it became the sole property of the Hardshell Baptists it was nicknamed Flintlock. At present, meetings are held once a year. (Mrs. Hull)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fruitridge Station
Description:A former station of the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban located on a ridge of land in an apple orchard region. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Fry School
Description:In southeastern Preston Township. Named for Frank Fry, landowner. (Mrs. Fry)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Gibson Branch
Description:Rises in western Carroll Township, flows southwest and empties into Platte River. A name of landowners on the stream. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Goose Neck Neighborhood
Description:A short distance northeast of Platte City, the Platte River bends in such a way as to suggest the form of a goose neck. The section embraced in that bend is known as the Goose Neck Neighborhood. A country history of 1885 mentions that soldiers gathered in 1862 at Goose Neck, the principal creek of the Platte River above Platte City. It is, however, the main stream that embraces the territory called Goose Neck, and doubtless the neighborhood was the rallying point for the soldiers. (HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885, 703; Hull; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Graden School
Description:In southern Pettis County. Named for Sam Graden, a landowner in the district. (Dawson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Great Bear Rough
Description:Paxton records that John S. Brasfield wrote, that in 1838 they settled in the Great Bear Rough on Todd's Creek and there "caught four cubs." See Todd's Creek. (Paxton, 29)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Green Township
Description:The north-central Township and one of the original townships to be set apart in 1839. Probably it was named for a local family. A family by the name of Green settled in that township as early as 1838. (Paxton, 31, 746)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Green's Ferry
Description:As early as 1855 a Mr. Green operated a ferry on the Platte River a few miles northeast of the present town of Farley. (Map 1855; Wren)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hackberry Church
Description:An early day Christian church in the Hackberry neighborhood (q.v.). During the Civil War the house was burned and the congregation disbanded. (Haley, 365; J.L. Miller)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hackberry Neighborhood
Description:An early day designation of a part of the county approximately three miles west of Platte City. The name is still appropriate as there are hackberry trees in that section today. (Paxton, 129; J.L. Miller; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hackberry School
Description:In southern Fair Township. The name originated from the many hackberry trees which grew near the school. (M. Johnson; J.L. Miller)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Half-Way House
Description:An early day house located at a toll gate half way between Preston and Platte City. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hamilton's Ferry
Description:An early day ferry on Platte River about two miles southwest of Edgerton. It bore the name of the owner. (Map 1855; Gustin)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hampton
Description:A town in northern Pettis Township. A post office was established as early as 1867. The place was named for Hampton Kimsey, a landowner near the site of the town. (Goodwin 1867; E.R. Clarke)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hazelwood School
Description:In east Weston Township. A private school from 1860-1871, now a public school. The name is still descriptive of its location. (J.L. Miller; Wren)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hell Town
Description:An early day town about one-half mile from the present town of Ridgeley. The name signified the lawless character of the place. (Max Jones; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE, 894)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hickory Grove Christian Church
Description:In southern Carroll Township. A descriptive name of the location. (Haley, 373; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hill's Point
Description:A map of 1855 shows this name as a place near Platte River a few miles southwest of Ridgeley. Obviously a local personal name combined with a topographical word. (map 1855)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Holland Branch
Description:Rises in northern Green Township, flows southeast, and empties into Platte River. Named for John Holland, whose land it crosses. (Dean)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Holy Trinity Church
Description:At Weston. This is one of the oldest Catholic Churches in northwest Missouri.The name is self-explanatory. (Williams 1913 Vol. I, 276)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hoover
Description:A town in northeast Carroll Township. Named for James Hoover, the first storekeeper. (Max Jones; Mrs. George)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Horn School
Description:In eastern Preston Township. Named for a pioneer family. (Hull)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Horse Shoe Lake
Description:In northwestern Waldron Township. The name is descriptive of its shape. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Iatan
Description:A town in southeastern Marshall Township. It was plotted in 1842 and named for an Indian Chief. (PLATTE CITY supplement THE LANDMARK, November 15, 1929)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Iatan Lake
Description:A lake in southwestern Marshall Township. Named from the town Iatan (q.v.). (ATLAS PLATTE 1907, 7; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Jacksonville
Description:See New Market
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Jordan Baptist Church
Description:An early day church located in northeastern Marshall Township. It was named for the Jordan River of Palestine, the river in which Jesus was baptized. (Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Jordan Branch
Description:Rises in northeastern Marshall Township, flows southeast, and empties into Bee Creek. Named from the Jordan Baptist Church, an extinct early day church, which was situated on the stream. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Jowler Creek
Description:Rises in central Green Township, flows south, and empties into Platte River. Mrs. C.V. Hull of Dearborn says that during her childhood she was told that the name came from the fact that hog jowls were thrown into the stream during hog-killing time. This explanation sounds like an afterthought; the name is more probably a personal one. (Paxton, 256; Mrs. Hull)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kansas City and Cameron Railroad
Description:See Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kerr Station
Description:See Kerrville
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kerrville
Description:A small town six miles northeast of Platte City. It was named for Ezra Kerr, who owned the site of the railroad station. The place is sometimes called Kerr Station. (Wren; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kirmeyer Station
Description:A railroad switch on the Chicago and G.W. Railroad in west-central Lee Township. Named for Mike Kirmeyer, who was a saloon owner when the place was facetiously called Drydale. It was a place of saloons when Kansas was a prohibition state and Missouri was not. (R. Missouri 1935; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lake Superior, Kansas City and Gulf
Description:See Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lakeside School
Description:In southern Pettis Township. A name of location. The lake has been drained but the name has been retained. (Breen)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lanter School
Description:In southwestern Carroll Township. Named for Davis Lanter, a landowner, and a captain in the Confederate army. (Lanter)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Leavenworth Island
Description:An island in the Missouri River between Leavenworth, Kansas and East Leavenworth, Missouri. The gradual shifting of the river bed caused the obliteration of the island. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lee Township
Description:The west-central Township and one of the original six townships set apart in 1839. An 1885 history says the township was named for General Robert E. Lee (1807-1870); but at that early date General Lee had not won his place in the hearts of the people. It was probably named for his father, General Henry Lee, who was better known as Light-Horse Harry, and was an able military leader under General Washington. (Paxton, 31; HISTORY OF C. AND P. 1885, 978)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lick Branch
Description:Rises in east-central May Township, flows southwest and empties into Brush Creek. Evidently named for a salt lick. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907, 17)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Line Creek
Description:Rises in southeastern May Township, flows south, and empties into the Missouri River. It is so named because it is near the boundary line between Clay County and Platte County. (Davidson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Line Creek School
Description:In southeastern Pettis Township. Named for the stream of that name. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Linkville
Description:A town in northern May Township. It was platted in 1871 by Levi Link and John Harrell, partners in the first store. (Postal Guide 1869-1904; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE, 1885, 873)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Little Jordan Branch
Description:A short east-flowing tributary of Jordan Branch (q.v.), in eastern Marshall Township. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Little Platte River
Description:See Platte River
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Little Sugar Lake
Description:A lake in northwestern Marshall Township. The name compares its size to Big Sugar Lake (q.v.). (ATLAS PLATTE 1907, 7; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Longpoint
Description:The exact location of this place was not ascertained. Paxton mentions it as a place in Platte County as early as 1831 where a change of horses was made by mail-carriers between Liberty and Fort Leavenworth. He adds that it was so named because it was located where a long point of timber extended into the prairie. (Paxton, 13)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Maple Leaf Railroad
Description:See Chicago, Great Western Railroad.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Marshall Township
Description:The northwest Township and one of the six original townships set apart in 1839. Probably named for Dr. Frederick Marshall, a prominent physician in the county. In 1840 he was elected county treasurer. (Paxton, 31, 36; DEED RECORDS BOOK A, 199)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:May Township
Description:One of the east townships. Named for Dr. B.L. May, who was a practicing physician at Barry from 1865-1882. (May)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:McComas School
Description:See Union Chapel School
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Miller School
Description:In southwest Carroll Township. Named for Captain Jack Miller, who was a landowner of the district, and a recruiting officer under General Sterling Price. (Rufus J. Miller)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Milton
Description:A former station on the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban. Named for an early day family who had once owned the site of the station. (Weimer)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Missouri River
Description:The Missouri River forms the western and southern boundary of Platte, the southern boundary of Clay and Ray, and the northern boundary of Jackson and Lafayette. Phil E. Chappell, an historian of the Missouri River, offers the opinion of various authorities to support his statement: "There is but little doubt that had the Missouri River been discovered before the Mississippi the name of the latter would have applied to both streams, and the Missouri would have been considered the main stream and the upper Mississippi the tributary." The latest and best authorities on the origin of the name state that the name for the river arose from the fact that a tribe of Indians known as Missouris inhabitated the country at the mouth of the river; that is, near St. Louis. Allen Walker Read writes in regard to the meaning of the word: "The word Missouri is of Indian origin, said to mean "the town of the large canoes," and came into the English language by way of the transliteration of French explorers." Indians, who used other types of canoes from the Missouris tribe, first used the word, or a form of the word. The popular idea that the word means "muddy water" arose from the word Pekitanoui, and Indian word meaning muddy water and given by Marquette to the river. Various have been the pronunications of this word, and caustic pronunciations indicated have been taken from Mr. Read's summary of the defensible pronunciations based upon Missouri usage. For an exhaustive study see Mr. Read's study. (Chappell, HISTORY OF THE MISSOURI RIVER, 1; Read, PRONUNCIATION OF THE WORD MISSOURI, p. 22 ff.; MISSOURI HISTORICAL REVIEW, Vol. 17, 231, 377, 8)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Moore School
Description:In northeast Waldron Township. Named for Peter Moore, a landowner of the district. (Babcock)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Morton School
Description:In western Carroll Township. Named for Benjamin R. Morton, a landowner of the district. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:New Market
Description:A town in northwest Green Township. It is one of the oldest towns in the county, having been divided into town lots in 1830. It was first called Jacksonville, probably in honor of Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), who was then president of the United States. Because there was another Jacksonville in the state, the name was changed in 1839 to the name it now bears. The government postal guides from 1870-1900 give the name as Newmarket. A stock name, found in more than a dozen states, and doubtless ultimately derived from Newmarket in Cambridgeshire, England. (Postal Guide 1870-1903; 1904 ff; PLAT BK. HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885, 561)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Norris Chapel
Description:A Methodist Episcopal Church in Pettis Township. It was organized in 1873. There is no church of that name today, and the origin of the name was not ascertained. (Williams 1913; Vol. I, 603)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Northmoor
Description:A small town in east Pettis Township. A Mr. Moore who platted the ground coined the name thus: he dropped the e from his own name and prefixed north, the direction of the town from Kansas City. (Weimer)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:In east Carroll Township. A name descriptive of the location. (Max Jones)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Packer's Mill
Description:Mr. Packer, an early day settler, operated a sawmill on Bee Creek five miles northwest of Platte City. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Park School
Description:Two miles southeast of Platte City. Named for Elihu Park, a landowner near the school. (PLATTE CITY supplement to THE LANDMARK November 15, 1929)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Parkville
Description:A town on the Missouri River in south-central Pettis Township named for its founder, George S. Park. Mr. Park filed the first plat of the town in 1844. According to Paxton's Annals the place was known in 1839 as English's Landing. Evidently named for a landowner. (Eaton; Paxton, 27, 60)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Paxton's Mill
Description:In an early day W.M. Paxton operated a mill on Platte River at the present site of Platte City. (Wren; Max Jones)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Penseno's Landing
Description:See Rialto
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pettis Township
Description:The southeast Township. It was organized in 1839. The origin of the name was not ascertained. As Platte County was strongly democratic the name may have been given in honor of Spencer Pettis (1802-1831), a popular democrat and friend of Thomas Benton. In 1830 he represented Missouri in Congress. At that time there was but one congressional district for the state. (HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885, 838; Paxton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Platte City
Description:The county seat is located in northwest Carroll Township. Named from the river on which it is located. It was first known as Falls of Platte, or Platte Falls, from the falls in the stream. Later for a time it was known as Martinsville for Zadoc Martin, who operated a ferry on the river. (Goodwin 1867; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Platte County
Description:Organized in 1828 and named for the principal stream of the county, Platte River (q.v.). At the time of its organization, it had its present boundaries: Buchanan County on the north, Clinton and Clay Counties on the east. The Missouri River separates it on the south and west from the state of Kansas. (LAWS OF MISSOURI 1838, 23; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Platte County Railroad
Description:A railroad from St. Joseph, Missouri to Weston, Platte County. It followed the east bank of the Missouri River and was operating in 1867. Evidently named from Platte County. (Nicely 1867, 66)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Platte River
Description:The principal river of the county. It rises in Nodaway County, flows south, and empties into the Missouri River. The Lewis and Clark Journal has this entry: "...passed the mouth of a small river ten miles above the Kansas called by the French Petite River Platte (or Shoal River), from the number of falls in it." The French compared it to the larger Platte River of Nebraska. Locally it was not known as the Little Platte. The name Platte for both rivers has the sense indicated by Lewis and Clark of "shoal" or shallow, which is eminently characteristic of either stream. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907, Th's L. and C. Vol. I, 62)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Platte Valley School
Description:In Weston Township. Named for the county, and the valley in which it is located. (Max Jones)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge Church
Description:A Baptist Church in east Weston Township. Named from its location. (Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge Male and Female Academy
Description:Parker's History of 1867 mentions this school as being located three miles from Weston and six miles from Platte City on the Plattsburgh Road. Evidently a descriptive name, for the land is high at that place. (Parker 1867, 358; Pepper; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:In east Weston Township. Named from the church (q.v.). (Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Prairie Creek
Description:Rises in west Carroll Township, flows southwest, and empties into Platte River. The source of the stream is in a prairie. (Paxton, 220; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Prairie Point School
Description:In southwest May Township. It is situated on a prairie at the highest point between Platte City and Parkville. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Prairie View School
Description:Eight miles southeast of Platte City. It was organized prior to the Civil War, and was located at the edge of a prairie. (PLATTE CITY supplement to THE LANDMARK November 15, 1929)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Preston Township
Description:The northeast Township. It was one of the original townships laid out in 1838. It was named for Preston Dunlap, who was at that time a county judge. (Paxton, 619; Mrs. Duncan)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Quinn School
Description:In central Fair Township. Named for Thomas Quinn, a prominent man and landowner in the district. (M. Johnson; Max Jones)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ray
Description:A former station of the Kansas City, Clay County, and St. Joseph Interurban, two miles southeast of Dearborn. The station was located on land owned by James Ray. (Ray)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rialto
Description:A settlement on the Missouri River below the present town of Weston at least as early as 1844. The author of the HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE writes that it was once known as Penseno's Landing and is believed to have been the first white settlement on the Missouri River above the old French Fort New Orleans. Possibly named for the rialto of Venice which has been made familirar to English speaking people because of Shakespeare's popular play, THE MERCHANT OF VENICE. (Paxton, 62; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885, 560)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ridgeley
Description:A town in central Preston Township. The origin of the name has not been definitely ascertained. It is probably a name descriptive of the site; the town is on a ridge and the ending "lay" has the significance of lea. (Hayward; Postal Gudie 1870-1902; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885, 561; Judge Layton; Dr. Ramsay)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ringgold
Description:An old town no longer in existence that was situated in southeastern Green Township two miles east of Camden Point. There was a post office at the place at least as early as 1853. The origin of the name was not ascertained. Possibly named for Adwalader Ringgold (1802-1867), a prominent naval officer. (Hayward 1853; Paxton, 176)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Riverside Station
Description:A station of the Chicago, Rock Island and Burlington Railroad situated on the bank of the Missouri River in southeastern Pettis Township. It is the railroad stop for the Riverside Race tracks. (R. Missouri 1935; James H. Hull)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Riverview
Description:A former station in north-central Carroll Township on the abandoned Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban. A descriptive name. (R. Missouri 1935; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rixey's Mill
Description:An early day wool carding and grist mill on Bee Creek four miles north of Platte City. It was probably named, like most mills, for the miller. (Paxton, 701; Dean)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rocky Point School
Description:In southern May Township. A name descriptive of the location. (Max Jones)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Roseville
Description:A store in northwestern Marshall Township. Named for Stirling Rose, the landowner of the place. (Wren)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rush Creek
Description:Rises in southwestern May Township, flows southwest and empties into Platte River. As the gradient is excessive, the stream is rapid. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Salem Church
Description:A Disciples of Christ Church two miles west of Dye. It was organized in 1837 and first called Bear Creek Church from its location on a stream of that name. Salem is a Bible word meaning peace. In Ps. 76:2 it is a name applied to Jerusalem. (Haley, 364; PLATTE CITY supplement to THE LANDMARK November 15, 1929)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sample's Chapel
Description:A Methodist Church three miles west of Parkville. It was built in 1847 on the Sample Farm. (Williams 1915, Vol. I, 603; Frank Bush)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sand Branch
Description:Rises in northeastern Pettis Township, flows northwest, and empties into Prairie Creek. The rapidity of the water has caused the forming of much sand along the stream. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907, 7; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sand Prairie
Description:A name given in an early day to a section of land in western Lee Township near the Missouri River. The name is still a fitting descriptive one. (Paxton, 10; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Second Creek
Description:Rises in southern May Township of Platte County, flows northeast and empties into Smith's Fork in Clay County. This is the second creek west from a divide that runs north and south near the southern Clay and Platte County line. The first stream which is small and of no importance, is found on no maps. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907, 7; Davidson; Woodson 1920, 193)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Second Creek Church
Description:A former Christian Church east of Platte City located on Second Creek, from which it derived its name. (Haley, 372; John Williams)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Second Creek School
Description:In eastern Carroll Township, one mile east of Linkville. Named from the creek on which it is located. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Settles Station
Description:A station on the abandoned Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban in Fair Township, four miles north of Platte City. Named for John H. Settle, who owned the site. (Postal Guide 1876-1904; Paxton, 627)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sharp
Description:In eastern Fair Township. A store and former station on the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban. Named for Calvin Sharp, who owned the land on which the station was built. (Judge Layton; Flannery)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Shivelton
Description:A station on the Burlington Railroad three miles north of Oatan. Named for a Mr. Shivelton, who owned a sawmill near the station. (Postal Guide 1870, 1876; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Short Creek
Description:Rises in northern Marshall Township, flows southwest and empties into Bean Lake. The stream is only about three miles in length. (Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Simmons School
Description:In northern Marshall Township. Named for Peter Simmons, who donated the land for school purposes. (Pepper; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Slash Valley
Description:Two and a half miles east of Dearborn the Platte River valley is so named. The word is an Americanism meaning low, wet place. (HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885, 731)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:South Gale School
Description:In northeastern Carroll Township. The name is a combination of the descriptive and personal; the building is situated where it recieves the southern breezes, and an honor was extended to the carpenter, Gale Henson. (Mrs. Duncan)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Peter and St. Paul Catholic Church
Description:A defunct church of Platte City. The congregation was organized in 1869 and disbanded in 1914. Named for two leading apostles. (Williams 1915 Vol. I, 603; Mrs. Wren)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Stillings
Description:A town in central Lee Township. It was named for Vinton Stillings, who founded the town in 1889. (Postal Guide 1891-1904; Eaton; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Stillings Junction
Description:A railroad junction three miles west of Stillings. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Stubbs Station
Description:A former station on the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban in southern May Township, named for Robert Stubbs, landowner. (Wren; Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sugar Creek
Description:Rises in Buchanan County, flows south, empties into Sugar Lake. Named from the maple trees along its bank. (Paxton, 200; Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sugar Lake
Description:A lake in northwestern Marshall Township. It is named from Sugar Creek (q.v.). (Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sugar Lake
Description:A town in northwestern Marshall Township named from the nearby lake, Sugar Lake (q.v.). (Postal Guide 1886-1904; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885, 1087)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sunny Slope
Description:A former station on the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban. A descriptive name. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Swamp College
Description:A country school in southern Marshall Township situated in a valley. College is simply a fancy name. (Judge Layton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Tiffany Springs
Description:A store and a few houses in eastern May Township named for F.B. Tiffany who owned the land where the store was located. It was formerly called Artesian Springs. In 1887 M.C. Park built a hotel and advertised "Artesian Springs" as a summer resort. Listed as Artesian Springs from 1892 to 1895 and Artesian from 1895 to 1900. Changed to Tiffany after 1907. (Paxton, 854; Max Jones; Dr. Redmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Todd's Creek
Description:A post office of 1853. Evidently situated on the stream known as Todd's Creek (q.v.). (Hayward)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Todd's Creek
Description:Rises in northwestern May Township, flows north and empties into Platte River. At an early day Joseph Todd operated a sugar camp at the mouth of the stream. (Paxton, 129)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Tracy
Description:A village in Fair Township separated from Platte City by Platte River. It was laid off in 1872; and named for J.W. Tracey, a railroad superintendent of the Rock Island system. The "e" in the name was omitted on the railroad station. (Postal Gudie 1886 ff.; Eaton; Dr. Redmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Tribble School
Description:See Enterprise School
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Union Chapel
Description:See Union Chapel School
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Union Chapel School
Description:In north-central Carroll Township. The original log school was called McComas for the landowner, Burk McComas. When a new building was erected union church and Sunday school services were held in it and the school became the Union Chapel School. (Mrs. Kimsey)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Union Mills
Description:A grist mill in Preston Township one and a half miles northwest of Edgerton. There was a post office at the place at least as early as 1867. It was discontinued in 1871. The origin of the name was not ascertained. About 1847 a mill was operated on the site by James M. Estill and the place was known as Estill's Mill. (Postal Guide 1870; Goodwin 1867; Paxton, 515)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Unity Church
Description:See Flintlock Church
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Valley Forest School
Description:In central Marshall Township. Named from its location in a valley forest. (Herndon)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Waldron
Description:A town in south-central Waldron Township. Named for J.M. and W.H. Waldron who laid off the town in 1869. (Postal Guide 1870 ff.; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885, 885; Eaton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Waldron Township
Description:In southwest Township. Named for the Waldron brothers who laid out the town of Waldron (q.v.). (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:In central May Township. A name descriptive of the location. (Max Jones)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:West Platte
Description:A station on the Chicago Great Western Railroad three miles west of Platte City. A name of direction. (R. Missouri 1935; M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Westdale
Description:A former station on the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban in central May Township. The station was situated on low land owned by a Mr. West. (M. Johnson)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Weston
Description:A town in southern Weston Township. It is one of the oldest towns in the county. The land was selected for a townsite as early as 1837 by Joseph Moore, an ex-soldier from Fort Leavenworth and was named for an early merchant of the place. (Plat 2, 10; Hayward; HISTORY OF CLAY AND PLATTE 1885; 1038)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Weston Township
Description:One of the western townships which border on the Missouri River. It was formed out of a part of Marshall and Lee Townships in 1840, and named for the town of Weston (q.v.). (Paxton, 36; Pepper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Williams
Description:A former station in southern May Township on the abandoned Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Interurban. Named for the landowner, W.W. Williams. (R. Mo. 1935; M. Johnson; Wren)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Winston
Description:An early day town at the mouth of the Platte River. Named for General Joseph Winston, who operated a store there. General Winston, who, was a major-general in the militia of his native state, North Carolina, came to Platte County in 1839. (Paxton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Woodruff
Description:Once a flourishing little town in northeastern Weston Township; now consists of a store and a few other buildings. It was named by B.R. Beall, an official of the Chicago, Great Western Railway, for his friend, Charles Woodruff, a farmer in Buchanan County. (Postal Guide 1892-1922; Mrs. Hull; Woodruff)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names