Phelps County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adams School
Description:In Meramec Township. A family name. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Alhambra Grotto
Description:A recreation park at Newburg for the use of Masons in St. Louis. Named for a large chapter of the Masonic Lodge in St. Louis. (W.F. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Antioch School
Description:In southeastern Spring Creek Township. Also known as Roseberry School for the owner of the land. Named for Antioch, Syria, mentioned in Acts 13:1. This is a favorite name for churches, used here because church services were often held in the building. (M.T. Freeman; Henry Esmond)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Arlington
Description:In Arlington Township. The place was laid out by T.C. Harrison and named for his old home, Arlington, Virginia. Taylor says the name is "a corruption of Arlie, wife of the first storekeeper." The two explanations do not necessarily conflict, for the lady's name may have suggested the choice of the Virginia name; but it is more likely that this similarity was accidental and merely came to notice later. (Postal Guide 1876f; R.M.; HIST. LACLEDE, 675; Eaton, 341; W.F. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Arlington Township
Description:In the western part of the county. Formed in 1857 and named for Arlington (q.v.), which was then the principal town in its borders. (W.F. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Asher Hollow School
Description:In eastern Meramec Township. Named for the family who lived near and for its location in a sort of hollow. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Atlantic and Pacific Railroad
Description:See St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Austria
Description:In eastern Meramec Township. Nothing could be learned of this place. It was probably named for the country, like Mexico. (R.M.)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Avory
Description:Appears on the line between Rolla Township and Miller Township in Campbell's ATLAS. Nothing could be learned of this place.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beaver
Description:A station on the Frisco Railroad in Rolla Township. Named for Beaver Creek (q.v.) near which it is located. Also known as Beaver Valley. (CAMPBELL'S GAZ., 30; Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beaver Branch Railroad
Description:An abandonmed branch of the Frisco Railroad running four miles from Beaver to Beaver Creek Mine. Named for Beaver (q.v.) which is at the junction of Beaver Branch Railroad and Frisco Railroad. (CAMPBELL'S GAZ., 435; Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beaver Creek
Description:Rises in Cold Spring Township, crosses the southwest corner of Rolla Township, and empties into Little Piney Creek. Named for the animal. Early settlers found many beaver dams thrown across this creek. (Taylor; Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beaver Creek Mine
Description:An iron mine in southern Rolla Township near Beaver Creek (q.v.) for which it was named. (Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beaver Union Church
Description:In southern Rolla Township on Beaver Creek (q.v.) for which it is named. It is called a union church because it is used by several denominations. (Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beaver Valley
Description:See Beaver.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bell Bluff
Description:A bluff on the Gasconade River in northwestern Miller Township. Named for a Mr. Bell who entered the land. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bell Bluff Cave
Description:A cave in Bell Bluff (q.v.) for which it is named. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ben Fore School
Description:In western Cold Spring Township. Named for Ben Fore, landowner. (Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beulah
Description:A post office in southern Spring Creek Township. Named for a daughter of one of the first postmasters. (Postal Guide 1887f; Taylor)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Lick Hollow
Description:In Dillon Township near the head of the Bourbeuse River. An artificial lick where elk pawed a hollow about an acre in area. (N.B. Cox)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Piney Baptist Church
Description:In Spring Creek Township near Big Piney River for which it is obviously named. Organized about 1843. (HIST. LACLEDE, 681)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Piney Creek
Description:See Big Piney River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Piney River
Description:Rises in Texas county and empties into the Gasconade River in Pulaski County. One bend about a mile long lies in Spring Creek Township, Phelps County. Also known as Big Piney Creek, Piney River, Piney Creek, and Piney Fork. It is called Big to distinguish it from Little Piney Creek which is distinctly smaller. Named for the pine forests along its upper course. (Taylor; G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Piney River
Description:See Phelps County
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Prairie
Description:See St. James
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Black Cave
Description:A large cave in eastern Spring Creek Township. Named for Israel Black, owner. (J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blooming Rose
Description:A post office in southern Spring Creek Township. Named for the profusion of wild roses there. (Postal Guide 1876f; Taylor)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Box
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1893)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bradish Flat
Description:A small prairie in western Liberty Township. Named for the first settler. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brady Mine
Description:An iron mine in southeastern Meramec Township. Named for the owner. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bridge School
Description:In Rolla Township. So named because it is near the Frisco Railroad bridge over Little Piney Creek. (W.F. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bronson Mine
Description:An iron mine in southeastern Meramec Township. Named for L.G. Bronson, the owner. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bryant Bluff
Description:A bluff in northwestern Arlington Township on the Gasconade River. Named for the owner. (W.E. Duncan; Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buckland
Description:An abandoned village in Rolla Township. Named for the Buckland family. (CAMPBELL'S GAZ., 30, 435; W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buckland Mine
Description:A sulphur mine in Rolla Township. Named for the Buckland family, who own the land. (W.E. Duncan; Cf. Buckland)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cave Spring Creek
Description:See Tick Creek
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Christ Episcopal Church
Description:In Rolla. Organized 1872. A stock name for Episcopal churches. (Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clark Mine
Description:An iron mine in Meramec Township named for a Mr. Clark who was foreman for many years. Also known as Pickles Mine for the man who opened it. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cleino School
Description:In Dillon Township. Named for Henry Cleino, an early sheriff, on whose land the school was built. (Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clementine
Description:A discontinued post office in Liberty Township. Probably a feminine personal name, like Beulah. (Postal Guide 1893-1926; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clinton Bank
Description:See Clinton Mine
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clinton Mine
Description:An iron mine in southeastern Meramec Township. Named for Jake Clinton, who opened it about 1867. Also known as Clinton Bank. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cold Spring Township
Description:In the southern part of the county. Formed in 1857. So named because of the many cold springs within its borders. (Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Collins School
Description:In Dawson Township. A family name. (Mrs. Adolph Nickles)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Colon School
Description:In central Liberty Township. The name is a corruption of the word "coaling." This place used to be a center of the charcoaling industry carried on to supply the iron furnaces. (W.F. Duncan; M.T. Freeman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Coppedge Spring
Description:See Relfe Spring
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Corinth
Description:In eastern Miller Township. Named for Corinth, Greece. (Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Craddock
Description:A post office in southeastern Spring Creek Township. Named for Dan Craddock, first postmaster. (Postal Guide 1895f; M.T. Freeman; Henry Esmond)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dawson Township
Description:The northeastern Township. Also known as York's Leg for W.C. York, the first presiding judge (1857), because of his activities in securing the passage of an act adding it to the county, and because of its shape. Named for William Dawson, an early presiding judge. (HIST. LACLEDE, 633; N.B. Cox; E.A. Branstetter)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:De Camp
Description:A discontinued post office in Meramec Township. Named for De Camp Mine (q.v.) which is near. (Postal Guide 1910-1925; M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:De Camp Mine
Description:An iron mine in Meramec Township. Named for an official of the mining company. Also known as Lenox Bank for Hamilton Lennox, who opened the mine. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dean School
Description:In southern Dillon Township. A family name. (Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Democrat Ridge
Description:In western Spring Creek Township. All the residents are Democrats. Cf. Democrat School. (J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Democrat School
Description:In western Spring Creek Township. A voting place. All the residents in the neighborhood are Democrats. (J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Devil's Backbone
Description:A long bluff or ridge on the Gasconade River in Miller Township, the shape of which suggested the name. (W.F. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dillon
Description:A post office in central Dillon Township. The first county seat and the oldest place in the county. First known as Wishon's Store for John Wishon, the owner, when it was a stopping-place on the stage line from St. Louis to Springfield. When the post office was secured, it was named for John A. Dillon in whose home the county court held its first meetings. (Postal Guide 1867, 1915f; ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI, V., 112; Taylor; N.B. Cox)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dillon Township
Description:In the center part of the county. Named for John A. Dillon in whose home the county court held its first meetings. (N.B. Cox)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Drennanville
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1876)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Fork
Description:Rises in Dent County, crosses the southeastern corner of Phelps, and empties into the Meramec River just over the Crawford County line. The name is descriptive of its character. During part of the year it is a considerable stream, but in dry weather it is a mere trickle. (N.B. Cox)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Duke
Description:A post office in western Spring Creek Township. Before 1905 the post office was across the line in Pulaski County. At about the time the post office was secured the most popular smoking tobacco was a brand known as Duke's Mixture. This was a nickname for the store and was used for the post office. (Postal Guide 1899f; J.B. Clark; W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dunavan
Description:An abandoned village in Dillon Township. Named for Mike Dunavan, who for many years was the only settler in that part of the county. (N.B. Cox; E.A. Branstetter)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dyer Baptist Church
Description:See Spring Creek Baptist Church
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Easter Cave
Description:In northern Miller Township. Named for Isaac Easter, the owner. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Edgar Prairie
Description:See Edgar Springs
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Edgar Springs
Description:A post office in eastern Spring Creek Township. Laid out in 1871 and first known as Edgar Prairie. It is on a prairie. The place was named for John Edgar, the first settler, who came in 1840. There is a spring on his farm. (Postal Guide 1876f; HIST. LACLEDE, 629, 674; HANDBOOK MISSOURI, 220; Colonel Charles L. Woods; J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Eichorst School
Description:In Meramec Township. Named for John Eichorst, who owned the land. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Elk Prairie
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Cold Spring Township. Also known as Prairie because of its location on a prairie. Named for the animal which was found here in great numbers in early days. (Postal Guide 1886-1910; Taylor; Jacob Schwartz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Elm Spring School
Description:In central Spring Creek Township. There is a spring and a grove of elm trees there. (M.T. Freeman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Evening Shade School
Description:In eastern Spring Creek Township. There are large trees on the western side of the school and an open farm on the eastern side giving it shade in the afternoon. (J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fairview Methodist Church
Description:Organized in 1878. Could not be located. The name is obviously intended to be descriptive. (HIST. LACLEDE, 684)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:In southern Dillon Township. A stock descriptive name for schools.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ferndale School
Description:In northern Dillon Township. A descriptive name. (C.D. Brewster)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flag Spring School
Description:In St. James Township. Probably named for the spring and the iris there. (N.B. Cox)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flat
Description:A post office in Spring Creek Township. Also known as Flat Wood because it is located in a level forest. (Postal Guide 1867, 1876, 1896f; J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flat Grove School
Description:In Dillon Township. The name is descriptive. (N.B. Cox)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flat Wood
Description:See Flat
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Forbes Clay Pit
Description:In southeastern Miller Township. A valuable deposit of aluminum-bearing fire clay. Named for the owner. (C.D. Brewster)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fort Wyman
Description:An old fort at the edge of the city of Rolla. Built during the Civil War when Rolla was union headquarters. Named for a Union Colonel, probably Powell T. Wyman (died 1862). (G.W. Lane; HISTORICAL REGISTER U.S. ARMY, I, 1064)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Freeman Spring
Description:See Relfe Spring
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fremont Town
Description:See Jerome
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Frisco Lake
Description:A small lake in Rolla named for and owned by the Frisco Railroad. (McCanse, 56; Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Frisco Railroad
Description:See St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gaddy Hollow
Description:In Arlington Township. Named for the owner. (J.T. Andres)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Glenn
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide, 1886, 1887)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gottschall School
Description:In northern Arlington Township. Named for one of the first settlers who donated land for the school. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gourd Creek
Description:A small tributary of Little Piney Creek in Cold Spring Township. Named for the many wild gourd vines there. (Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gourd Creek Cave
Description:In Cold Spring Township on Gourd Creek (q.v.) for which it is named. (O.F. Scheel)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Granny Baker Cave
Description:In northwestern Miller Township. Named for the widow of the first settler in this section. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Granny Baker Graveyard
Description:In northwestern Miller Township. Cf. Granny Baker Cave. (Thos. A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Grayson School
Description:In Cold Spring Township. A family name. (Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Greenbush School
Description:In Cold Spring Township. The name is descriptive. (Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hale School
Description:In central Meramec Township. A family name. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hamilton Cave
Description:In western Spring Creek Township. Also known as Lawson Cave for a former owner. Named for the present owner. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hanley Cave
Description:A small cave in northern Liberty Township. A family name. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Harrison School
Description:In northwestern Dawson Township. Named for Everett Harrison, who donated the land. (Mrs. Adolph Nickles)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hickory Point School
Description:In southeastern Arlington Township. Named for its location on a hill covered with hickory nut trees. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hinkle
Description:A post office in Dawson Township. Named for Charles Hinkle, the first postmaster. (Postal Guide 1915f; Mrs. Adolph Nickles)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hirsche School
Description:In Rolla Township. A family name. (M.T. Freeman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hochstetter School
Description:In southwestern Spring Creek Township. A family name. (M.T. Freeman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hopkins Spring
Description:See Wilkins Spring
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
Description:In St. James. Organized 1869. A stock name for Catholic churches. It refers to the supposed immaculate conception or birth of the Virgin. (Reverend S.P. Stocking)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Iron Road
Description:From Meramec Iron Works in Phelps County to Hermann on the Missouri River in Gasconade County. So called because iron was hauled over it. Also known as Old Iron Road. (Sauer, 154)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jacobs
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1901-1910)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jerome
Description:A summer resort settlement and post office in Arlington Township on the Frisco Railroad. Laid out by W.F. Greeley under the direction of General John C. Fremont in 1867 when the railroad was finished to this point, and named Fremonrt Town in his honor. It had a population of nearly 1500 from 1867 to 1869, but when the railroad was built further, the town was practically deserted. The first settlers were Catholics. (Postal Guide 1915f; ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI, III, 435; Taylor; Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kaintuck Baptist Church
Description:In eastern Liberty Township. Named for Kaintuck Hollow (q.v.), in which it is located. (Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kaintuck Hollow
Description:In eastern Liberty Township. The first settlers were from Kentucky, and this popular pronunciation of the state name attached itself to the neighborhood. (Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kaintuck School
Description:In central Liberty Township. Named for Kaintuck Hollow (q.v.), in which it is located. (Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kelly Bank
Description:In western Meramec Township. Named for W.C. Kelly, the owner. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Knobview
Description:See Rosati
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Knotwell Iron Works
Description:See Ozark Iron Works
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Knotwell Presbyterian Church
Description:In Arlington Township. Abandoned. Named for Knotwell Iron Works (q.v.). (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Knotwell School
Description:In central Arlington Township. Named for Knotwell Iron Works (q.v.) near which it is located. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lamb Bank
Description:An iron mine in southeastern Meramec Township. Named for Thomas Lamb, the owner. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lawson Cave
Description:See Hamilton Cave
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lenox Bank
Description:See De Camp Mine
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Liberty Township
Description:In the western part of the county. Obviously an ideal name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Light Caves
Description:In western Miller Township. There are two of them, side by side. Named for the Light family, who owned them. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Dry Fork
Description:A small tributary of Dry Fork in Dillon Township.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Piney
Description:See Ozark Iron Works
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Piney Creek
Description:Rises in the extreme northern part of Texas County, crosses the southern part of Phelps County, and empties into the Gasconade River near Arlington. There are small pine forests along its upper course. It is distinctly smaller than Big Piney River. (G.M. Reed)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Prairie
Description:In southwestern St. James Township. Doubtless named for its location on a small prairie. (Campbell's)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Love Creek
Description:A small tributary of Little Dry Fork in Dillon Township. Named for the Love family. (Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Macedonia
Description:A discontinued post office in eastern Miller Township. Named for Macedonia Churches (q.v.). (Postal Guide 1891-1915; C.D. Brewster)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Macedonia Baptist Church
Description:In eastern Miller Township. Organized about 1890. Named for Macedonia, the Roman province where the gospel was first preached in Europe. (ACTS xvi. 12; C.D. Brewster)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Macedonia Christian Church
Description:In eastern Miller Township. Organized about 1890. Cf. Macedonia Baptist Church. (C.D. Brewster)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Massey's Iron Works
Description:See Meramec Iron Works
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mathis School
Description:In central Spring Creek Township. Named for James Mathis, landowner. (M.T. Freeman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Meramec Iron Works
Description:In northeastern Meramec Township. Also known as Massey's Iron Works for Benjamin Mazzey, who established it several years before 1826. It was bought in 1826 by Thomas James, who named it for the Meramec River (q.v.) or Meramec Spring at which it is located. It was abandoned in 1873, although the furnaces are still standing. This was the southern terminus of the Iron Road (q.v.). (Campbell's; HIST. LACLEDE, 627; 628; ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI, IV, 324, 235; N.B. Cox, E.A. Branstetter)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Meramec River
Description:Rises in Dent County, flows north and east 150 miles through Crawford, Franklin, and St. Louis Counties, and empties into the Mississippi River twenty miles below St. Louis. About two miles of its course are inside of the eastern boundary of Phelps County. It is variously spelled Maramec, Meramac, Merrimac, but the above spelling seems to have become fixed. In 1700 Father Gravier (JESUIT RELATIONS LXV, 104, 105) mentions a rich lead mine twelve or thirteen leagues form the mouth of "la Rivire Miaramigoua" which Thwaites in a note (ibid, 265) says is the Meramec River. It is a corruption of the Indian name which means "catfish river." The spelling "Merrimac" and the pronunication with final -mask instead of -mek are doubtless due to association with the Merrimac River in Connecticut. (MAPS 1837f; Wetmore, 250; ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI, Iv, 324; Elmer; Gaumett, p. 205)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Meramec Spring
Description:A mammoth clear spring in northeastern Meramec Township flowing as much as 271,000,000 gallons per day. It is obviously named for the Meramec River (q.v.) into which it empties. (HIST. LACLEDE, 623; McCanse, 84; N.B. Cox)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Meramec Springs
Description:In northeastern Meramec Township. The place is now deserted, but before the iron furnaces closed in 1873 Meramec Springs was a town of 500. Also known as Merimec. It is obviously named for Meramec Spring (q.v.). (Postal Guide 1901-1915; ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI, Iv, 234, 235; N.B. Cox)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Meramec Township
Description:In the southeastern part of the county. It was formed in 1857. It is obviously named for the Meramec River (q.v.), which lies party in its borders. (N.B. Cox)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Merimec
Description:See Meramec Springs
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Merrimac River
Description:See Meramec River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Miles School
Description:In Dawson Township. Named for William Miles, who owned the land. (Mrs. Adolph Nickles)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mill Creek
Description:Rises in southern Liberty Township and flows north into Little Piney Creek. There was formerly a large mill at its mouth and several along its course. (Maps 1873f; Taylor; W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Miller School
Description:In Miller Township. Named for the Miller family. (C.D. Brewster)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Miller Township
Description:The northwest township. Named for Hamilton Miller, an early county judge. (West Smith)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mitchell
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1896-1910)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mt. Olive Baptist Church
Description:In northeastern Arlington Township. Organized about 1840. Probably named for the Mount of Olives at Jerusalem where Christ's ascension took place. (Acts i. 9-12) (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mt. Tabor School
Description:In eastern Spring Creek Township. Named for Mt. Tabor, mentioned in JOSHUA xix. 22, because church services were frequently held in the school building. (J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mt. Zion Baptist Church
Description:In Cold Spring Township. Organized about 1843. Mt. Zion was one of the hills on which Jerusalem was built. (HIST. LACLEDE, 681; Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mudville
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. Obviously a humorus nickname. (Postal Guide 1904)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Muench Cave
Description:A small cave in northwestern Liberty Township. Named for the first owner. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mungy Creek
Description:A small tributary of the Gasconade River in Miller Township. Named for a family which live on it. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Newburg
Description:A town in Arlington Township founded in 1883 by Captain C.W. Rogers. It was first referred to as "the new burg" by the railroad men when the roundhouse was moved to this point from Dixon. (Postal Guide 1886f; HISTORY OF LACLEDE 672)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Norman
Description:A discontinued post office in Meramec Township. A family name. (Postal Guide 1889-1925; Jacob Schwartz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Norman Creek
Description:Rises in northern Dent County, crosses Meramec Township (Phelps), and empties into Dry Fork. Also known as Norman's Hollow. Named for a family which lived on it. (Maps 1873f; Jacob Schwartz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Norman's Hollow
Description:See Norman Creek
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:North Spring Creek
Description:A small stream which rises in Miller Township (Phelps). Crosses the southwest corner of Maries County, and empties into the Gasconade River. The name is indicative of the many springs which feed it. North Spring Creek is distinguished from Spring Creek in the southern part of Phelps County. (C.D. Brewster)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oak Grove Church of Christ
Description:In northern Dawson Township. Named for the school (q.v.) which is near it. (Mrs. Adolph Nickles)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oak Grove School [1 of 2]
Description:In northern Dawson Township. The name is descriptive of the location. (Mrs. Adolph Nickles)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oak Grove School [2 of 2]
Description:In southern Miller Township. Another Oak Grove School. Situated in an oak grove or forest. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Old Iron Road
Description:See Iron Road
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Old Wire Road
Description:An old road which followed, in general, the route which is now U.S. Highway 66 from Rolla, union headquarters during most of the Civil War, to Springfield, "the name being due to the fact that a wire was extended along the highway in order to facilitate communication of government headquarters with southwestern points." (OZARK REGION AND PEOPLE, 119)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church
Description:At Beulah. Organized in 1935. A stock name for the Virgin Mary. (Reverend S.P. Stocking)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ozark
Description:See Ozark Iron Works
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ozark Iron Works
Description:A discontinued post office and abandoned iron works in Arlington Township on the Frisco Railroad. The place was known as Little Piney before Phelps County was formed from Pulaski County. Also known as Yorks and York's Station for John York, a pioneer from Tennessee who settled here in 1818. Formerly known as Knotwell Iron Works, probably for a former owner of the iron works. Also known as Ozark. The original iron works was established in 1874. The name is obviously for its location in the Ozarks. (Postal Guide 1853; 1867, 1876; Campbell's GAZ., 30, 434, 436; HISTORY OF LACLEDE etc., 633; REM. HISTORY OF THE OZARKS, 27; N.B. Cox; W.E. Duncan; G.W. Lane)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Peace Lutheran Church
Description:In southern Dillon Township. An ideal name. (Jacob Schwartz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Perkins School
Description:In northeastern Arlington Township. A family name. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Phelps County
Description:Organized from Crawford, Pulaski and Maries Counties by act of legislature November 13, 1857. On the north are Maries and Gasconade Counties; on the west, Pulaski County; on the south, Texas and Dent Counties; on the east is Crawford County. Named for John S. Phelps (1814-1866), a popular congressman at that time, who later became governor of Missouri (1876). (HIST. LACLEDE, 632; LAWS OF MISSOURI, 1857, 397)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Philadelphia Baptist Church
Description:In northern Spring Creek Township. Named for Philadelphia in Asia where one of the early Christian churches was located (Rev. iii.7). The name means brotherly love. (J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pickles Mine
Description:See Clark Mine
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pillman Cave
Description:In northwestern Spring Creek Township. Named for the owner. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pillman's Mill
Description:A water mill in Spring Creek Township on Big Piney River which supplied it with power. Named for the owner. (HIST. LACLEDE, 681; W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pilot Knob
Description:A high hill in Cold Spring Township. One of the high points (1244 ft.), in the county. So named because it is a landmark. (J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Piney Cave
Description:In northeastern Spring Creek Township. Named for Little Piney Creek on which it is located. (C.M. Hargus)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Piney Creek
Description:See Big Piney River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Piney Creek
Description:See Big Piney River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Piney Fork
Description:See Big Piney River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Piney Spring
Description:A large spring in northeastern Spring Creek Township. Flows 3,200,000 gallons per day. Named for Little Piney Creek into which it empties. (McCanse, 98; C.M. Hargus)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Grove Baptist Church
Description:Organized 1873. This church could not be located. Obviously a descriptive name. (HIST. LACLEDE, 683)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Point Bluff School
Description:In southwestern Rolla Township. The name is descriptive of its location on the point of a bluff. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Poole Hollow Cave
Description:In eastern Arlington Township. Named for the Poole family and for its location in a hollow. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Prairie
Description:See Elk Prairie
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Prewett School
Description:In northwestern Miller Township. Named for Clark Prewett who owned the land. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rambo School
Description:In Spring Creek Township. A family name. (M.T. Freeman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ramsey Island
Description:In the Gasconade River opposite Bell Bluff Cave. Named for the owner. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rathbone
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1893-1904)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rattlesnake Hollow
Description:In Arlington Township. Rattlesnakes are numerous in this neighborhood.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reagan Branch
Description:A small tributary of Dry Fork in Cold Spring Township. A family name. (Jacob Schwartz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reed Bank
Description:An iron mine in western Meramec Township. Named for the owner. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Relfe
Description:A discontinued post office in Spring Creek Township. It was one of the first settlements (1818) in the county. Named for a man who was prominent in local politics at the time the post office was secured. (Postal Guide 1886-1928; W.E. Duncan; Mrs. Lucy Route Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Relfe Spring
Description:A large spring near Relfe (q.v.) for which it is named. Flows 13,000,000 to 18,000,000 gallons per day. Also known as Coppedge Spring for William Coppedge who entered the land. Also known as Freeman Spring for a man who owned it at one time. (McCanse, 44, 56; W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Renaud Cave
Description:In eastern Spring Creek Township. Named for the owner of the land on which it is located. (M.T. Freeman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rhea Baptist Church
Description:In Cold Spring Township. Organized about 1874. A family name. (J.B. Clark; Jacob Schwartz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rhea School
Description:In Cold Spring Township. Named for Rhea Baptist Church (q.v.). (Jacob Schwartz; J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rolla
Description:The county seat, laid out in 1858. John Webber wanted to call it Hardscrabble; E.W. Bishop, who donated fifty acres of land to the town, wanted it Phelps Center; and George Coppedge wanted to name it for his old home, Raleigh, North Carolina. Bishop, a northern sympathizer, agreed to accept Coppedge's name on condition it be spelled Rolla. The story that it was so spelled because none of the original settlers knew the correct spelling of Raleigh, is vehemently denied. More creditable to the culture of the pioneers is the suggestion that the form was suggested by that of a character in Sheridan's very popular play "Pizarro." (Postal Guide 1867f; HIST. LACLEDE, 660)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rolla Township
Description:In the center part of the county. Obviously named for the principal town in it.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rosati
Description:A post office in eastern St. James Township. Before this place had a post office it was known as Knobview because of its location on a knob. In 1899, when the post office was established, the name was changed to Spading for J.C. Spading, the first postmaster. With a change of postmasters in 1904 the name was changed to Knobview again. In 1930, the name was changed to Rosati in honor of Bishop Joseph Rosati, second bishop of St. Louis (became bishop 1826, died 1843), the only Italian who was ever bishop of St. Louis. Mail addressed to Knobview was being missent, and also, an Italian name was wanted because most of the inhabitants are Italians engaged in the wine industry. (Postal Guide 1900f; ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI, III, 435; Hector Ramori; Reverend S.P. Stocking)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Roseberry School
Description:See Antioch School
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Royal
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. It is rather a stock name, being borne by nine or ten other towns in as many different states. (Postal Guide 1893, 1910, 1915)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Saint Patrick's Catholic Church
Description:At Rolla. Organized in 1862. Named for St. Patrick, the missionary to Ireland, for two reasons. Most of the charter members were Irish railroad laborers, and the first priest was Francis Patrick Gallegher. It was the first church building in Rolla. (Colonel Charles L. Woods; Reverend S.P. Stocking)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Saltpetre Cave
Description:A large cave in Miller Township. It has been explored for five miles. Named for the deposits of saltpetre which were found in it and used to make gunpowder in early days. (HIST. LACLEDE, 626; Taylor; Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sands
Description:A discontinued post office in Cold Spring Township. Named for Charles Sands, the first postmaster. (Postal Guide 1910-1918, 1924; Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Scioto
Description:See St. James
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Seaton
Description:A post office in southern Meramec Township. Named for Samuel Seaton, an early settler and landowner. (Postal Guide 1915f; M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Signal
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1904)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sills
Description:In central Rolla Township. The origin of the name could not be determined. (R.M.)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Slaughter Sink
Description:In southwestern Arlington Township. One of the largest sink holes in the county. Named for the owner. (J.T. Andres)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Smith Baptist Church
Description:In Spring Creek Township. Named for George Smith, an early deacon in the church. (J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Smith Mine
Description:An iron mine in southeastern Meramec Township. Named for the owner. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:South Pacific Railroad
Description:See St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spading
Description:See Rosati
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spanish Needle
Description:See Spanish Prairie
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spanish Prairie
Description:An abandoned post office in the northern part of the county. Established about 1836 at the store of William Hawkins, the first postmaster. Formerly known as Spanish Needle and obviously named for the plant which is common in this section. (HIST. LACLEDE, 630; Postal Guide 1867)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spencer Cave
Description:In northern Miller Township. A family name. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spring Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A post office in northwestern Spring Creek Township, near the mouth of Spring Creek (q.v.) for which it is obviously named. (Postal Guide 1876f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spring Creek [2 of 2]
Description:Rises in the southern part of Spring Creek Township and empties into the Big Piney River in the northwestern part of the Township. It is obviously named for the many springs which feed it.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spring Creek Baptist Church
Description:In Miller Township. Also known as Dyer Baptist Church because the original building was on the Dyer land. Named for North Spring Creek (q.v.) on which it is now located. (C.D. Brewster)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spring Creek Cave
Description:In Spring Creek Township on the creek for which it is obviously named. This cave is so large that people sometimes are lost in it for several days. (HIST. LACLEDE, 627)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spring Creek Township
Description:In the southern part of the county. It is the largest township. Obviously named for the creek which crosses it.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Springdale Seminary
Description:A small private girls' academy at Relfe. Organized in 1853. Discontinued 1861. So named because of the large spring there. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Anthony's Catholic Church
Description:At Rosati. Established in 1897. Named for St. Anthony of Padua (1195-1231), the hermit. (CATH. ENC.; Reverend S.P. Stocking)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. James
Description:A town in St. James Township. The original settlement was known as Big Prairie because of its location on a prairie. When the town was laid out in 1859, it was named Scioto, (doubtless from Scioto, Ohio, from which state came some of the early settlers). Gannett (p. 277) says Sciota is derived from an Indian word Seeyota, meaning "great legs," as a river with many and long branches. In 1860, the name was changed to St. James in honor of Thomas James, who came here in early days from Chillicothe, Ohio, near Scioto, and bought the Meramec Iron Works. As in the case of St. Joseph, founded by Joseph Robicoux, and often elsewhere, it was considered more modest to name the town for the man's name-saint. In this case, St. James the Apostle, than directly for himself. Thomas James and his family were devout Episcopalians. (Postal Guide 1867f; R.M.; HIST. LACLEDE, 628, 630, 670; Campbell's GAZ., 438; Colonel Charles L. Woods; N.B. Cox; E.A. Branstetter)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. James Township
Description:In the eastern part of the county. Named for its principal town, St. James (q.v.). (N.B. Cox; E.A. Branstetter)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad
Description:Surveyed under the name South Pacific Railroad in 1861. In 1866 it was known as the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad. It is now known as the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad though it is commonly called the Frisco. John C. Fremont was one of the builders. Named for its termini. (HISTORY OF LACLEDE, 119; ENC. HISTORY OF MISSOURI, V, 449)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stimson
Description:An abandoned village in Meramec Township named for Stimson Mine (q.v.) which outlived it. (MAP 1865; M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stimson Mine
Description:An iron mine in Meramec Township named for Thomas Stimson who owned it. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Strawhun School
Description:In northwestern Rolla Township. A family name. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Swyers School
Description:In eastern St. James Township. A family name. (Hector Ramori)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Table Rock
Description:A flat rock about 30 ft. square in the Gasconade River in Arlington Township. It resembles a table. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Taylors
Description:In Rolla Township. Nothing could be learned of this place. (Campbell's GAZ., 30, 438)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tick Creek
Description:Rises in Arlington Township and empties into the Gasconade River in Miller Township. Also known as Cave Spring Creek because it heads near the cave now known as Tick Creek Cave from which a spring issues. Probably named for the insect. Cf. Tick Ridge in Bell, PLACE NAMES OF THE SOUTHWEST BORDER COUNTIES OF MISSOURI. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tick Creek Cave
Description:In northeastern Arlington Township. Named for the creek (q.v.) which heads near it. It was surveyed by students from the Rolla School of Mines and is said to be more than thirty miles long. (Thomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Titus
Description:A discontinued post office. Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1886-1895)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Trinity Episcopal Church
Description:At St. James. A stock church name referring to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. (Colonel Charles L. Woods)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ulf
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1895-1902)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Upper Mill Creek School
Description:In southern Liberty Township. It is named for Mill Creek (q.v.) near the source of which it is located. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vessie
Description:A post office in eastern Liberty Township. There seems to have been no reason for the name except that it was short and not likely to be confused. (Postal Guide 1910f; Frank Groves; W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vest
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1886-1899)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vida
Description:A post office in Cold Spring Township. Named by Harry Groves, the first postmaster, for a girl he knew. (Postal Guide 1899f; Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vilean
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1910-1918)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wash School
Description:In western Dawson Township. Named for Thomas Wash on whose land the school was built. (Mrs. Adolph Nickles)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Westcott
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1895-1904)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wild Hog Cave
Description:In eastern Spring Creek Township. So called because hogs were allowed to run loose and become wild. The hogs slept in this cave. (J.B. Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wilkins Cave
Description:In Liberty Township. Named for the owner. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wilkins Spring
Description:In central Liberty Township. Also known as Hopkins Spring for a former owner. Named for the present owner. Its flow is 4,700,000 gallons per day. (McCanse, 125; W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Winkler
Description:A post poffice in central Meramec Township established in 1901, discontinued in 1932. Named for John Winkler who opened the large iron mine there. (R.M.; Postal Guide 1901-1932; M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Winkler Branch Railroad
Description:A branch line of the Frisco Railroad from Salem to Cuba. After it was started in 1865, it was discontinued and rebuilt several times according to a varying success of the iron mines. It was finally discontinued in 1934. It was named for Winkler (q.v.), a mining town which it served. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wire Road
Description:Follows approximately the route which is now U.S. Highway 66. During the Civil War a telegraph wire was stretched along this road from Rolla to Springfield. (Colonel Charles L. Woods, W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wishon School
Description:In southern Cold Spring Township. A family name. (Jacob Schwartz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wishon's Store
Description:See Dillon
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wolf Creek
Description:A tributary of Beaver Creek in Cold Spring Township. Named for the animal which is still to be found here occasionally. (Frank Groves)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wolfe School
Description:In Meramec Township. A family name. (M.F. Malone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wynn School
Description:In southern Miller Township. Named for William Wynn on whose land it is located. (Tomas A. Young)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Yancy
Description:See Yancy Mills
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Yancy Mills
Description:A post office in Cold Spring Township. Named by Lewis Fields Wright, who built the first mill there, for his old home, Yancy, Virginia. Originally known as Yancy. (Postal Guide 1867f; Taylor; C.M. Hargus)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Yelton School
Description:In central Liberty Township. Named for William Yelton, one of the first settlers in this section. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Yelton Spring
Description:A large spring in Liberty Township. Named for William Yelton, one of the first settlers in this section, who owned it at one time. (W.E. Duncan)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Yorks
Description:See Ozark Iron Works
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:York's Leg
Description:See Dawson Township
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:York's Station
Description:See Ozark Iron Works
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Zion Hill Baptist Church
Description:In northwestern Meramec Township. Obviously named for Zion, one of the hills on which Jerusalem was built. (HEBREWS xii, 22)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Zion Hill School
Description:In Meramec Township near Zion Hill Baptist Church (q.v.) for which it is obviously named.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names