Ozark County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Almartha
Description:The third post office to be established in Ozark County. The office, opened in September, 1855, was named by Eli S. Forest, first postmaster, for Albert and Martha McSpadden, early settlers. By combining the first two letters of Albert and all of the name of Martha, Forest's name makes it the only county post office to be named for a man and a woman. (Ozark County Times, May 18, 1867 and the Ozark Region, Goodspeed, 1894)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Althea
Description:A post office, established in 1921 and discontinued in 1926; named after the daughter of Dr. Patrick who lived there and was the first postmaster. (John Reed; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ambrose
Description:A post office, established sometime between 1878-1886 and discontinued in 1895; named after Ambrose Cobb, the first postmaster. (T.R. Woodworth; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arp
Description:A post office north of Gainesville, established in 1894 and discontinued in 1896; named after R.B. Arp. (J.C. Harlin; T.P. Woodworth)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bakersfield [1 of 2]
Description:A post office established in 1870 and named for Jim Baker, who owned most of the land surrounding the post office. (J.C. Harlin; T.W. Holland)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bakersfield [2 of 2]
Description:The post office was established in October, 1873. It was named for an early settler, James A. Baker, by the first postmaster, Stephen T. Fore. The post office had two names before its present one . It was first called Bakersville, then Waterville before the name Bakersfield was approved in April, 1885. (Ozark County Times, May 25, 1867 and The Ozark Region, 1894, p. 26)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bald Don
Description:A hill near Bakersfield, after Don Thompson who cleared it in 1908. (J.F. Singer)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bald School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barefoot School
Description:A humorous name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barren Fork Creek
Description:A creek named in the early pioneer days for the barrenness of its banks. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barren Fork School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barren Fork Township
Description:A township formed in 1841 and named for Barren Fork Creek which runs through it. (W.A. Morris; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bayou Creek
Description:A creek named by French hunters and trappers because its outlet was presumably a bayou. However, it seems a misnomer, for it rises from a spring. In this section of the Ozarks, however, bayou is used for any kind of a stream. (W.A. Morris)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bayou Township
Description:A township formed in 1841 and named for Bayou Creek which runs through it. (J.C. Harlin; T.P. Woodworth)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Cave
Description:A cave named for the black bears who lived in it for many years. (T.P. Woodworth; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Benner
Description:A post office established in 1898 and discontinued in 1901; named after the Benner family, early homesteaders of the county. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bennet's Bayou
Description:A small creek, three miles north of Bakersfield, which was named after a family of Bennets who lived on its bank during the early settlement of the county. (J.F. Singer; C.C. Cropper)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Creek Township
Description:A township which was formed in 1841 and named for Big North Fork Creek which runs through it. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big North Fork
Description:A fork of White River running through Ozark; named because it is the largest branch of White River proper and is to the north of the river. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Piney
Description:The larger of the two branches of Piney Creek (q.v.). (T.P. Woodworth; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Birda
Description:A post office, established about 1913 and discontinued in 1922; named after the wife of the first postmaster, Mr. Thompson. (J.C. Harlin; J.F. Singer)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blair Hollow
Description:A hollow near Sharp which was named for the Blair family who lived there after the Civil War. (J.J. Swayne; Frank Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bluff Spring
Description:A spring in Bakersfield which derives its name from the fact that it flows from a bluff. (T.P. Woodworth; Mrs. T.P. Woodworth)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bratcher School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bridges Creek
Description:A creek named for an early trapper by the name of Bridge who camped on the banks. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brixy
Description:A post office established in 1917 and named after Brixy Creek (q.v.). (C.C. Cropper; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brixy Creek
Description:A creek named for the Brixy family, early pioneers who lived on its banks during the early years of the 19th century. (C.C. Cropper; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brixy Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Brixy family, early settlers of the county. (J.F. Singer; C.C. Cropper)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brown Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Brown family that owned the land and lived there about 1858. (J.J. Swayne; Frank Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brushy Knob School
Description:A name of situation or description
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bushong School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Calvin School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Caney Mountain
Description:A mountain named for Caney Creek (q.v.). (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Tree School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Center Point School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Charity School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Collins School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cottonrock Bluff
Description:A bluff near the old Sharp post office, which derived its name from the "cottonrock" which constitutes the bluff. Cottonrock is a dialect word for a kind of limestone. (1) (1. Farmers Dictionary of Americanisms (25); Frank Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cottonrock Spring
Description:A spring which flows out of Cottonrock Bluff. (J.J. Swayne; Frank Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Council Grove School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cure-All Springs
Description:Springs near Bakersfield which were named by the people of the community because of the medicinal qualities of its water. (J.F. Singer)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dawt
Description:A post office established in 1904. No one seems to know why it was so named. (J.C. Harlin; J.C. Reed)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dawt School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dawt Township
Description:A township formed in 1908 and named for the Dawt post office (q.v.). (W.A. Morris)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Decatur County
Description:Temporarily used as the name for Ozark County. At the request of citizens of the county, most of whom came from Georgia, the State Legislature of 1843 changed the county name from Ozark to Decatur County, after the city of Decatur, Georgia. At the next session of the Legislature in 1845, it was changed back to Ozark County. (T.P. Woodworth; J.C. Harlin; J.J. Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dellia
Description:A post office, established in 1891 and discontinued about 1913; named by J.A. Kyle for one of his daughters. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dimock
Description:A discontinued post office established in 1906 and named after a family of Dimocks who had the first post office. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dobbs School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dora
Description:A post office established in 1882 and named after the daughter of the first postmaster, "old man" fisher. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dora
Description:Dora post office was first opened on September 1, 1879. Anton Fischer, first postmaster, named the office for his daughter. (Ozark County Times, 5-4-67 and the Ozark Region, 1894, p. 26)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Double Spring
Description:So called by the earliest settlers because of the fact that the water, rushing from the base of a bluff with great force, divides and flows in two directions into North Fork River, thus forming an island. (Keith McCanse, WHERE TO GO IN THE OZAKS, p. 132)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dugginsville
Description:A post office in the southwest corner of the county, established in 1894 and named after the Duggins family who had the first post office. (J.C. Harlin; J.W. Wilhoit)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dugginsville School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Duke Allen Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Duke Allens, a family who lived there about 1860. (T.P. Woodworth; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elijah
Description:A post office was established in 1905 by George S. Harden, who named it for his infant son, Elijah. (Ozark County Times, 6-29-1867 and The Official Manaul 1907-1908, p. 461)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eppley Spring
Description:A spring which was located on the D.P. Eppley farm. (T.P. Woodworth; C.C. Cropper)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Evening Shade School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fay School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Foil
Description:A post office, established in 1908 and named by Abner Norris, the first postmaster. Why the name was chosen it is impossible to say. (T.P. Woodworth; J.J. Swayne) According to Ozark County Times, the post office was not established until October, 1909. The first postmaster was Henry J. Blair.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gainesville
Description:The county seat was laid out in 1841 and named for Gainesville, Georgia. Many of the people from this section were from Georgia and the Smiths, the first settlers, came from Gainesville. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grabel
Description:A post office, established in 1888 and discontinued in 1894; named after the Grabul family, a family prominent in the county in education and all civic enterprise. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hammond
Description:A post office, established in 1893 by John Squires and named for the family who owned the land upon which the store and post office were located. (J.J. Swayne; Frank Swayne) However, according to OZARK COUNTY TIMES, the post office was not opened until September, 1894. Walter Please was the first postmaster. According to the present postmaster, Bonnie Wright, the post office, "...was named by Please who had a speech defect. When he was asked what he was going to name the office his reply sounded like Hammond, but no one knows what he really said." It was not named for anyone living in the area named Hammond.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hammond School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hardenville
Description:The last post office to be established in the county, was named for George S. Harden, the first postmaster in 1921. (OZARK COUNTY TIMES, 4-20-67 The Official Manual 1923-24, p. 888)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hardinville
Description:A post office established in 1928 and named for George S. Hardin, the first postmaster. (J.J. Swayne; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hawkins Ridge
Description:A ridge southwest of Bakersfield, named for G.W. Hawkins, who settled there before the Civil War. (T.P. Woodworth; J.J. Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Stump Hollow
Description:A hollow named for its hickory stumps, about 1885. (Frank Swayne; J.J. Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:High View School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hog Danger School
Description:A school and community known as Hog Danger which were so named about the middle of the 19th century because people near there were having their hogs stolen. (T.P. Woodworth; Mrs. T.P. Woodworth)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hog Skin Hollow
Description:A hollow near Tecumseh that was named about 1890 from the skins of stolen hogs that were found in the hollow. (O.H. Upton; W.P. Bratcher)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Howard Ridge School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Howard's Ridge
Description:A post office named after the Howard family, early pioneers who lived on a ridge near the present site of the post office. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Idumea School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Igo
Description:A post office, established in 1892 and discontinued in 1913; named after the daughter of the first postmaster. (C.C. Cropper; T.P. Woodworth)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Igo School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Isabella
Description:Isabella post office, third to be established in the county, was founded in 1856 by Henry A. Brattin, who as first postmaster named the office for one of his daughters. (OZARK COUNTY TIMES, and The Ozark Region, p. 26)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Isabella School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:A township formed in 1860 and named for president Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), who was a Tennessean, as were most of the settlers from Ozark County. (J.J. Swayne; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lawndale
Description:A post office, northeast of Gainesville established in 1908 and named by Willy Tilman, the first postmaster; the name was given because of the topographical aspect of the location. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick Creek
Description:A creek named by early hunters and trappers for the "deerlicks" found on its banks. These deerlicks were salty spots in the earth which the deers licked. (J.F. Singer)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick Creek Township
Description:A township formed in 1841 and named for the creek which runs through the township. (J.F. Singer; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liner School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Creek School
Description:A tranferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little North Fork
Description:The smaller of the two branches of North Fork Creek (q.v.). (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Piney
Description:The smaller of the two branches of Piney Creek (q.v.). (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Locust
Description:A post office and store west of Gainesville, established in 1912 and named for the locust trees which surrounded the store. (T.P. Woodworth; J.J. Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Locust School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lone Pilgrim School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Longrun [1of 2]
Description:First established in June, 1898 by Newberry Hobbs, and named for the run, a branch of Pond Fork. (OZARK COUNTY TIMES, 11-2- 1967 and The Official Manual 1899-1900 p. 428)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Longrun [2 of 2]
Description:A post office established in 1898 and named after the creek (q.v.) by N. Hobbs, the first postmaster. (C.C. Cropper; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Longrun School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Longrun Township
Description:A township established in 1841 and named for Longrun Creek which runs through the township. (W.A. Morris; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lottie Hollow School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lower Brixey School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Luna
Description:A post office established in 1893, and named for the Luna family, early settlers in the community. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Luna School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lutie
Description:A post office established in 1893 and named for B.B. Jones for some feminine member of his family. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lutie School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mammoth School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McCabe
Description:A post office, established in 1893 and discontinued in 1896, was named after Andy McCabe who was the first postmaster and who had a mill there. (J.J. Swayne; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mineral Point School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Lebanon School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Olive School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mud Point School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nebraska School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Needmore School
Description:A humorous name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Never Fail School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Hope School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Noble [1 of 2]
Description:A post office established in 1890 and named by a Mr. Noble, the first postmaster. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Noble [2 of 2]
Description:Noble post office was established in March, 1890 by William H. Collings. It has not been determined whether Mr. Collings chose a family name for his post office or an adjective to describe the excellence of the community. (OZARK COUNTY TIMES, 11-9-1967 and The Ozark Region, 1894, p. 26)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Noble School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North View School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nottinghill [1 of 2]
Description:The post office was established in October, 1894 by Samuel A. Baker, who chose a place name from London, his native city, for his post office. (OZARK COUNTY TIMES, 11-16-1967 and The Official Manual 1895-1896, p. 312)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nottinghill [2 of 2]
Description:A post office established in 1893 and named by the Postal Department. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nottinghill School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Dale School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Mound
Description:A post office established in 1889 and named for the topographical aspect of the location by Mr. Trump, the first postmaster. (J.J. Swayne; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oakmound School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ocie
Description:A post office established in 1907 and named for Ocie Conklin, a citizen of the community. (J.C. Harlin; C.C. Cropper)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Odom School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Onyx Cave
Description:A cave named for the onyx formations found in it in early days. About 1870 there was much enthusiasim over the onyx; however, it is worthless and none of it has ever been mined. (J.C. Harlin; Frank Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osta
Description:A post office established in 1901 and discontinued in 1903; named for one of the daughters of Mr. Weston, who was the first postmaster. (T.P. Woodworth; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Otter Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ozark County
Description:Organized in 1841, cut off from Wayne County, of which it had been a part since Wayne was formed in 1818 from New Madrid County, Named from the Ozark Mountains. (See Bell, under Wayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ozark Mountains
Description:A mountain range that is very old as well as beautiful. The name is of Indian and French derivation and it is said that it is the result of a misunderstanding by the English. It means literally "at the (country, river, or place of the) Arkansas." The Quapaw Indians, belonging to the Siouan stock and after migrating westward, were called the Arkansas by the Illinois. Early eighteenth century maps by G. De. l'Isle show that both the Ohio and Wabash rivers were known as the Arkansas. It was customary for the French to abbreviate the difficult Indian place-names; hence les Arkansea became les Arcs. Miss O'Brien states that in the French archives "the phrase "aux arcs" appears many times, meaning on the river, at the post, or in the country of the Arkansas." The shortened phrase "aux arcs" was mistaken by the English for one word and they spelled it Ozark. (Miss O'Brien's thesis)
Source:Overlay, Fauna R. "Place Names Of Five South Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1943.

Place name:Paddy
Description:A post office established about 1906 and discontinued in 1929, was named for some individual; it is probably a nickname. (F.A. Grisham; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pickrell Creek
Description:A creek named for the Pickrell family, early settlers in the county. (J.J. Swayne; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Valley School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine View School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Plum Hollow
Description:A hollow two miles north of Bakersfield, named for the wild plums which grow in it. (C.C. Cropper; J.F. Singer)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pond Hill School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pondfork
Description:A post office established in 1919 and named after Pondfork Creek (q.v.). (C.C. Cropper; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pondfork Creek
Description:A creek which derived its name from the fact that the water flows from a pond and forks out and forms a creek. (J.C. Harlin; C.C. Cropper)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pontiac
Description:A post office established in 1888 and named for Pontiac, Michigan by A.J. Johnson. (J.J. Swayne; J.C. Harlin) According to OZARK COUNTY TIMES, the post office was established in 1887 by David H. Gibson. It had been in three other locations before it was moved where it is now. The office was named for Chief Pontiac, head of an Ottawa Indian tribe.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Possum Walk Creek
Description:A creek named for the many opossums which played on its banks in pioneer days. (T.P. Woodworth; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Potato Cave
Description:So called because it was in olden times used as a storage place for potatoes. (J.C. Harlin; J.J. Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prestonia
Description:A post office, established in 1892 and discontinued in 1913, was named for the Prestonia Mill, which had been there for many years. (Newton Ford; T.P. Woodworth)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prestonia Mill
Description:An old mill erected by an old settler by the name of Preston and thus called Prestonia. (J.J. Swayne; Frank Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rainbow Spring (earlier Double Spring)
Description:A spring named Rainbow because of the beauty of its water. (T.P. Woodworth)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Red Oak School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Richland Township
Description:A township established in 1860 and named for the Richland family, early settlers who were influential in county affairs. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rockbridge
Description:A post office established in 1888 and named for the natural rock bridge near there in Spring Creek. (J.C. Harlin) According to OZARK COUNTY TIMES, this post office is the oldest in Ozark County. It was established in 1842, by county court justice John Young in the village that was then the county seat. There was a flat rock, low water crossing over spring creek near the post office which gave the location its name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Romance
Description:A post office established about 1889, while Jason Norman and others were deliberating over a name, a traveling man came in and in discussing the new post office, remarked, "What a romantic place this is." Mr. Norman, the first postmaster, immediately suggested the name Romance. (J.C. Harlin) According to Ozark County News, "The first post office was opened in 1881 by F.M. Chaffin, who named it Nora for his daughter. When J.F. Norman became postmaster in 1884, he peitioned to change the name because of confusion with similar girl's names for post offices in the area. He chose the name Romance."
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Romance School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sand Ridge School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Scott Hollow
Description:A hollow in the Sharp community which was named for the Scott family that lived there about 1860. (Frank Swayne; J.J. Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sharp
Description:A post office, established in 1892 and discontinued in 1917, was named by J.J. Swayne because, as he explained, he was "sharp" enough to get the better of Jack Hensley in a trade. (J.J. Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shilo School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smith Chapel School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smith Hollow
Description:A hollow in the Sharp vicinity which was named for a family of Smiths who lived there the latter part of the 19th century. (J.J. Swayne; Frank Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Somerset
Description:A post office established in 1880; discontinued in 1893, which was named by J.B. Norton, its first postmaster, an Englishman, for Somerset, England. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Souder
Description:A post office established in 1903, and named after the Souder family. G.W. Souder was the first postmaster. (J.W. Wilhoit; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Souder School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spoon Spring
Description:A spring which was named for Henry Spoon, an early settler in the county who owned the land on which it was located. (T.P. Woodworth; Mrs. T.P. Woodworth)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spring Creek
Description:A creek rising from a big spring, hence the name. (J.C. Harlin; O.F. Douglas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spring Creek Township
Description:A township formed in 1868 and named for Spring Creek which runs through it. (W.A. Morris; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stony Point School
Description:A name of situation or description.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sycamore
Description:A post office established in 1891 and named by the first postmaster, for the sycamore trees which grew around the post office. (J.C. Harlin; J.J. Swayne) There is a discrepancy as to who named the post office. Ozark County Times claims it was established by Alva L. Hodgson, the pioneer master mill-wright of the Ozarks.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tecumseh
Description:A post office established in 1898 and named by Mrs. G.W. Garret, the first postmistress, for the old Indian chief, Tecumseh. (J.C. Harlin; C.C. Cropper) According to the OZARK COUNTY TIMES, the first postmaster (mistress), was Julia E. Isom.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Theodosia
Description:A post office established in 1887 by J.M. Herd, the first postmaster, and named for his wife, Theodosia. (J.C. Harlin; C.C. Cropper) According to OZARK COUNTY TIMES, the post office was established in 1886. Another major discrepancy is who the first postmaster was. OZARK COUNTY TIMES claims it was Tully B. Kirby, and that he named the post office for his daughter, Theodosia, who died at the age of three.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Theodosia School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thornfield Township
Description:A township formed in 1870 and named for a family of Thornfields who lived in the community. (W.A. Morris; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thuroy
Description:A post office established in 1928 and supposedly named for Thursey Marshal, a farmer nearby, but because of the illegibility of the writing the Postal Department read it as Thuroy. (T.P. Woodworth)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Toledo
Description:A post office established in 1913 and named for Toledo, Ohio, by its first postmaster. (J.J. Swayne; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Toledo School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Toledo Township
Description:A township established in 1915 and named for the post office, Toledo (q.v.). (J.C. Harlin, J.J. Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Trail
Description:A post office established in 1890 and discontinued in 1898; named after the family of Trails; one of the Trails was the first postmaster. (J.C. Harlin; Frank Swayne)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turkey Knob
Description:A knob one and one-half miles southwest of Bakersfield, which was named for the wild turkeys that roosted there. (T.P. Woodworth; J.F. Singer)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Udall
Description:A post office established in 1848 and named by the postal inspector. According to a current story the name was suggested when a farmer plowing nearby called to his horse, "You Doll, get up." (T.P. Woodworth; J.J. Swayne) According to OZARK COUNTY TIMES, the post office was originally established in 1848 and first named St. Leger by Edgar St. Leger Hough. In October, 1885, Riley Compton, then postmaster, according to local legend, changed the name to Udall after hearing a driver shouting at his balky mare.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Udall School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Upper Brixy School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Valley Star School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vaughn
Description:A post office, established in 1903 and discontinued in 1908; named after the first postmaster. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wasola
Description:A post office, established in 1912 and given the Indian name Wasola by the first postmaster. What it means no one seems to know. (J.C. Harlin) Acccording to OZARK COUNTY TIMES, the post office was not established until 1914. Wasola is also a street in Springfield, Missouri.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wasola School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Waterville (later Bakersfield)
Description:A post office established before the Civil War and named for the water mills in the community; changed to Bakersfield (q.v.) because of confusion with Waterville, Maine. (T.P. Woodworth)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wetherhill
Description:A post office, established in 1900 and discontinued in 1909; John Bell was the first postmaster. Some mines were opened in the community and one of the mine owners was named Wetherhill; hence the name. (J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wilhoit
Description:A post office established about 1908 and named after J.W. Wilhoit. (J.W. Wilhoit; J.C. Harlin) There is a discrepancy here as to how to spell the name of the post office. OZARK COUNTY TIMES claims it is spelled "Willhoit." The post office was established in January, 1895 and named for an early settler and storekeeper. It was first called Arp. The name Arp, said to have been for R.B. Arp, who had a store there was given to the post office by Cornelius D. Moore who served as postmaster when the office was opened. He was succeeded by William H.D. Thomas who changed the name to "Willhoit." According to a 1916 mailing list of Ozark County the correct spelling is "Willhoit."
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Zanoni
Description:A post office, established in 1898 and named by G.W. Shoemaker for the novel of that name by Bulwer Lytton, published in 1843. (J.C. Harlin) There is a discrepancy as to how the first postmaster's name is spelled. According to OZARK COUNTY TIMES it is spelled "Shoemaker," not Shumaker.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names