Osage County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adolph
Description:A discontinued post office in the northeastern part of the county near Bailey's Creek. Named for Adolph Wittenbach who owned much of the land there. (Postal Guide 1904; Map 1904; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Argyle
Description:A post office in southwest Washington Township so named through the influence of John Connor, an Irish farmer in the neighborhood, for the Duke of Argyle. Argyle is a county in Scotland which extends in the direction of northeast Ireland. Also known as Campbell's Switch for John Campbell, an engineer.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Argyle Lake
Description:Located between Argyle, for which it is named, and Koeltztown. It is also knwn as Koeltztown Lake. (McCanse, 18; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Aud
Description:A post office in southern Benton Township. Named for Joseph Aud who owned the land. (Postal Guide 1890f; Maps 1904f; E.M. Zevely; J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Babbtown
Description:A discontinued post office in central Jackson Township. Named for a Mr. Babb who lived there. (Postal Guide 1886-1904; Maps 1904f; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bailey's Creek
Description:A tributary of the Missouri River. Named for the family who entered the land on it. (G.H. Caughell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Baileys Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A tributary of the Missouri River. Rises in Osage County and empties into the Missouri River at Morrison in Gasconade County. Named for an early settler. (J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bailey's Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A discontinued post office in Benton Township. Named for the creek which it is near (q.v.). Misspelled Bailies on map in Osage Dir. Spelled Bailey's in Postal Guide 1853. (Postal Guide 1853-1904; Maps 1865-1915; J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bear Creek
Description:See Loose Creek
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bend School
Description:In Crawford Township. So named because of its location in the bend of the Gasconade River. Also known as Horseshoe Bend School for the same reason. Also known as Heckman School for the family on whose land it is located. (John Peters; H.F. Waldecker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Benson's Island
Description:In Missouri River between St. Aubert and Chamois. Named for the man who entered it. (Map 1913; John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Benton Township
Description:The northeastern township, named for Thomas H. Benton, United States Senator from Missouri for thirty years. (bl772; dl858). Org. 1841. (John Peters; HIST. COLE etc., 646; HIST. CHARITON, 46-48)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Maries Creek
Description:See Maries River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bloody Island
Description:In the Osage River near Folk. So named because two fisherman got in an argument on this island and killed each other. (Map 1913; Henry Scheppers)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boaz
Description:A discontinued post office. Boaz was the wealthy man who married Ruth (Ruth iv. lf.). Boaz was also the name of one of the pillars in the porch of Solomon's temple. It means "in him his strength." (Mo. Gaz. 1860, 21)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bode School
Description:In northern Benton Township. Named for the Bode family. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boegers Store
Description:See Hope
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boes School
Description:In western Crawford Township. Named for Joseph Boes, a farmer, who owned the land on which the school was built. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boillot School
Description:In Linn Township. Named for an early family. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bonnots
Description:See Bonnots Mill
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bonnots Mill
Description:In Linn Township on the Missouri River and Missouri Pacific Railroad. The town was laid out in 1852 by Felix Bonnot, and his mills gave the place its name. Eaton says it was named for Benoit, or Bennot, who built a mill here. Coues in a footnote says it is "the place where one Benet, Benite, Bennet, Bonnet, Bonnot, or Benight built his mill." Coues mentions a place across the river near the site of Cote sans Dessein which was known as Bennet's log. Bonnots Mill also known as Dauphine. The dauphine was the wife of the heir to the French crown; Dauphine was also the name of one of the old provinces of France. Also known as Bonnots. (HIST. COLE etc., 681; Eaton, 337; Coue's note, 370; Postal Guide 1867f; OSAGE DIR., 15; E.M. Zevely; J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River which rises near Rich Fountain. So named from the brushy land through which it flows. (J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buck Elk Baptist Church
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for Buck Elk Creek (q.v.) which it is near. Also known as Pilot Knob Baptist Church because it is near a high hill or knob on which was built a lookout tower used for map-making. Org. 1860. (Tom Walker; John Peters; Sam Robertson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buck Elk Creek
Description:Rises near Belle and flows into the Gasconade River in Jefferson Township. Elk were common here in early days and have been seen occasionally of late years. (Tom Walker; John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buck Elk School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for Buck Elk Creek (q.v.) which it is near. (John Peters; Tom Walker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buckendorf School
Description:In Linn Township. Named for Fritz Buckendorf, farmer and Civil War veteran. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Busse School
Description:In northern Benton Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Butcher Ford
Description:Across the Gasconade River. A family name. (A.A. Schmudde)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Byrne
Description:See Byron
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Byron
Description:A discontinued post office in southeastern Jefferson Township. Misspelled Byrne in Campbell's Gaz. 1874. Said to have been named for Lord Byron, the poet. (Postal Guide 1870-1918; Maps 1873f; John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cadet Creek
Description:A small branch of Loose Creek in Linn Township. Named for a pioneer family. (John Peters; A.A. Schmudde)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cadet Creek School
Description:In western Linn Township on Cadet Creek (q.v.) for which it is obviously named. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Campbell's Switch
Description:See Argyle
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Castle Rock
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Jackson Township on a bend of the Osage River. It was founded just before the Civil War by Colonel George B. Boomer, who secured a mill, factory, stores, hotel, church, and school for the town. Colonel Boomer was killed in the war and the town died. However, the place is still known as Castle Rock. It is named for rocks near there which resemble a castle. The post office was established in 1856. (Postal Guide 1867-1876; MISSOURI GAZ., 49; HIST. COLE etc., 642; E.M. Zevely; Henry Scheppers; John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cedar Creek
Description:A tributary of Loose Creek in Linn Township. So named from the many cedar trees in the section through which it flows. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Chamois
Description:In northern Benton Township on the Missouri River and Missouri Pacific Railroad. Laid out in 1856 by James M. Shobe and named by Morgan Harper for the Alpine deer or chamois, because the precipitous hills reminded him of his home in Switzerland. The official seal of the city has a chamois on it. (OSAGE DIR., 21; HIST. COLE etc., 672; J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Church of the Holy Family (Catholic)
Description:At Freeburg. The Holy Family refers to Joseph, Mary, and Jesus. (Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Church of the Sacred Heart (Catholic)
Description:At Rich Fountain. Org. 1840. There are five organizations of the Sacred Heart of Jesus listed in the Catholic Encyclopedia. It is a common name of Catholic Churches. (HIST. COLE etc., 688; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:College Hill Baptist Church
Description:In Jefferson Township. It was probably named for College Hill School (q.v.). Formerly known as Mud Spring Baptist Church for the muddy spring which is near the site. (Tom Walker; John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:College Hill School
Description:In Jefferson Township. There never was a college in this vicinity. Probably it was jocularly given this name because of the school. (Tom Walker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Compton Hill School
Description:See Victor School
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Contrary Creek
Description:Rises near Linn and empties into the Gasconade River. Owing to the terrain this creek flows opposite to that of the Gasconade River and the other creeks that flow into it. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cooper Hill
Description:A post office in northeastern Jefferson Township. Named for Dr. Jas. M. Cooper, who lived there. (Postal Guide 1867f; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Crawford Township
Description:The eastern Township. Organized in 1841. Origin of the name could not be determined. (HIST. COLE etc., 1841)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Crook
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Crawford Township. B.A. Gaume, first postmaster and owner of the store, jokingly accused the man who built the store of being a crook and included the name in the list of names submitted to the Post Office Department. Crook was the name chosen by the Post Office Department. (Postal Guide 1904-1918; Maps 1904f; B.A. Gaume)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dailey
Description:On the Missouri River and Missouri Pacific Railroad. Shown on the County and Railway Map, p. 11, in Campbell's ATLAS, 1873, 4th ed. No other trace could be found of the place.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dauphine
Description:See Bonnots Mill
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Deer
Description:A discontinued post office in central Benton Township. Deer were abundant here in early days and this is still good deer hunting territory, which probably accounts for the name. (Postal Guide 1902-1933; Maps 1904f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Deer Creek
Description:A small tributary of the Missouri River near St. Aubert. So called probably for the many deer in this section in early days. (J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Deer Creek School
Description:In Benton Township on Deer Creek for which it is obviously named.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Descher School
Description:In northeren Washington Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dingley
Description:In southeastern Jefferson Township. An abandoned village named for the Dingley family who lived there. (Map 1913; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dingley School
Description:In southeastern Jefferson Township. Named for Edward Dingley on whose farm the school was built. (Tom Walker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dodd Christian Church
Description:An abandoned church in central Benton Township. Named for the Dodd family. (E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dodd School
Description:In central Benton Township. Named for the Dodd family. (E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Doolings Creek
Description:See Doolins Creek
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Doolins Creek
Description:A tributary of the Missouri River at Chamois. Named for the Doolin family who lived on it. Spelled Doolings on Map 1913. (Map 1913; John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Engelbert
Description:See Freeburg
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Enterprise School
Description:In Linn Township. An ideal name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fairview Christian Church
Description:About two miles northeast of Linn. A descriptive name. Also known as Weeks Christian Church for the Weeks family. (E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Feuersville
Description:A discontinued post office in northeastern Jefferson Township. Named for the Feuers fmily. (Postal Guide 1886-1915; Maps 1904f; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flat Rock School
Description:In Benton Township. The original building was on a large flat sand rock. (B.A. Gaume)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flora
Description:A discontinued post office in northwestern Crawford Township. The origin of the name could not be discovered. Formerly known as Grange Store for the Grange, farmer's organization. (Postal Guide 1886-1897; Map 1915; J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Folk
Description:A post office in Jackson Township. Named for Joseph W. Folk, Governor of Missouri 1904-1908. (Eaton, 337; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Forest Grove School
Description:In Crawford Township. The name is descriptive of the location. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Frankberg
Description:See Freeburg
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Frankenstein
Description:A discontinued post office in eastern Linn Township. Probably named for Godfried Franken, who was an early settler in this neighborhood. The first Catholic church here was built on his land. He owned a large amount of land. There is a town named Frankenstein in Silesia, Germany, which may also have been in the mind of those who selected the name. (Postal Guide 1895-1918; Maps 1913f; OSAGE DIR., 15; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Freeburg
Description:A post office in southern Washington Township originally known as Engelbert for the first postmaster, Engelbert Franke, who was appointed in 1886. In 1888 the name was changed to Frankberg for the same man. In 1894 Mr. Franke retired as postmaster and was succeeded by John Welschmeyer, who changed the name of the post office to Freeburg. "Free" is English for the German "Franke." (OSAGE DIR., 16; Postal Guide 1888f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Freedom
Description:A post office in eastern Crawford Township. Obviously an ideal name. (Postal Guide 1890f; Maps 1913f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:French Village
Description:Long ago abandoned, it was about one quarter mile below the present site of Bonnots Mill on the Missouri River. It was the first settlement in Osage County. Consisted of French from the village of Cote sans Dessein in Callaway County which had begun to wash away. Mrs. Bonnot's store was in French Village. Descendants of this group still live in Bonnots Mill and vicinity and French is spoken. The river finally washed French Village away. (HIST. COLE etc., 634; Sauer; 90, 94; Conrad, V, 28)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gallaway Station
Description:In southeastern Jefferson Township. Also known as Gallaway's Store. A station on the Rock Island Railroad. Named for the owner of the store. (Map 1873; Campbell's Gaz., 412; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gallaway's Store
Description:See Gallaway Station
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Garfield School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for President James Garfield (1881-1884). (Tom Walker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gasconade River
Description:Rises in Pulaski County and flows through Maries County, crosses the southeastern part of Osage County, and empties into the Missouri River in Gasconade County. Coues says it "got its name from the way certain persons bragged about their exploits when they returned to St. Louis." Eaton says the name was applied by the early French to the Indians living on its banks who bragged about their exploits and that the name is also descriptive of the waters of the river, which are "boisterous and boastful." At any rate the name is from the French word "gascon," a boaster, braggart, a Gascon. The Gascons, inhaibitants of the province of Gascony in France, were noted for their boastfulness. The verb, "Gasconner," means to brag. Also "gasconnade" is a noun meaning boast, brag. "Gasconer," to brag and "gasconade" n. are English words. (Eaton, 169; Coues's note, 367; Littre)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gascondy
Description:A post office in southwestern Jefferson Township on the Gasconade River and the Rock Island Railroad. It was a considerable summer resort at one time. It would seem to be a recent and rather clumsy coinage from the name of the river, perhaps with a faint recollection of the French province of Gascony. (Postal Guide 1910f; Maps 1913f; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Georgetown School
Description:In Crawford Township. Named for George Boyse, farmer. (B.A. Gaume)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Glavin School
Description:In northern Benton Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Glenco Lake
Description:In northeastern Jefferson Township. An artificial lake developed by Oscar Herkert, an official of the Glenco Distilleries in Kentucky, and named for him by his company. The name of the company was doubtless taken from Glencoe, Scotland, famous for Scotch whiskey. (F.A. Schaeperkoetter)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Glenn's Landing
Description:At the mouth of the Osage River. It was doubtless located at what is now the town of Gasconade. The origin of the name could not be determined. (Coues's note, 370; MAP OF MISSOURI RIVER in Massey; Geo. Schneider)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Grange Store
Description:See Flora
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Heckman School
Description:See Bend School
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:High Point Baptist Church
Description:In Linn Township. The name is descriptive of the site. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hope
Description:A post office in northeastern Crawford Township. Also known as Boegers Store for Simon Boeger who put up the first store building in 1859. An ideal name. (Postal Guide 1876f; OSAGE DIR., 18; HIST. COLE etc., 682; John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Horseshoe Bend School
Description:See Bend School
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
Description:At Loose Creek (town). Established in 1839. Immaculate Conception refers to the supposed immaculate conception or birth of the Virgin. It is a common name for Catholic churches. (HIST. COLE etc., 687; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Indian Creek [1 of 2]
Description:See Smith's Creek
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Indian Creek [2 of 2]
Description:Another Indian Creek. A tributary of the Gasconade River in west Jefferson Township. This section was thickly populated with Indians. Arrowheads are still plowed up in quantities.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Indian Creek School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for Indian Creek (q.v.) on which it is located. (Tom Walker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Isbell Station
Description:A post office on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in Linn Township. Named for Zachariah Isbell, who was a citizen of the town and a representative of Osage County in the legislature 1852-1856. Also known as McKnight for Josiah McKnight, early sheriff and collector. (Postal Guide 1867f; OSAGE DIR., 25; HIST. COLE etc., 683; Eaton, 337; John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:The west township. Named for President Andrew Jackson (1829-1837). Originated 1841. (E.M. Zevely; HIST. COLE etc., 646)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:The southeast township. Named for President Thomas Jefferson, 1801-1809. Originated in 1841. (E.M. Zevely; HIST. COLE etc., 646)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jersey
Description:A discontinued post office in southern Jefferson Township. The origin of the name could not be determined. It is a stock name in the United States, found alone or compounded in at least twelve other states besides Missouri. (Postal Guide 1887-1902; Map 1915)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Judge
Description:A discontinued post office in Crawford Township named in honor of Judge A.J. Branson, an early county judge, who lived there and owned much of the land. (Postal Guide 1910-1922; Maps 1913, 1922; 1936; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kern School
Description:In western Jackson Township. Named for Theodore Kern, farmer. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kiddridge
Description:A discontinued post office in Crawford Township named for Captain J.K. Kidd, who was one of the early settlers there. The place is on a ridge. (Campbell's Gaz., 412; Postal Guide 1876; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Koeltztown [1 of 2]
Description:A German settlement in Jackson Township. Named for the first postmaster, August Koeltz. (Postal Guide 1867f; HIST. COLE etc., 683)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Koeltztown [2 of 2]
Description:See Argyle Lake
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Koenig
Description:A discontinued post office in Jefferson Township. Named for Gentry C. King, merchant. Koenig was the German form of his name. (Postal Guide 1893-1918; Eaton, 337; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kroeger School
Description:In Jefferson Township. A family name. (A.A. Schmudde)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lane
Description:A discontinued post office named for Jasper Lane, who was a landowner there. In Crawford Township. (Postal Guide 1904-1918; Map 1922, 1904; E.M. Zevely; B.A, Gaume)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lay High School
Description:In Benton Township. Named for the Lehigh family. By a local confusion the form Lay was substituted for Lehigh. (A.A. Schmudde; B.A. Gaume)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Leboeuf
Description:A discontinued post office in western Jefferson Township. Named by George leFevre, the first postmaster, for the creek (q.v.) on which it was located. (Postal Guide 1887-1918; Maps 1904, 1913, 1915; E.M. Zevely; J.R. Garstang; Sam Robertson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lebouef Creek
Description:A small tributary of the Gasconade River. In Jefferson Township. Named for the Lebouef family who lived on it. (J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:In Crawford Township. An ideal name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Linn
Description:The county seat in Crawford Township. Named Linnville for Lewis F. Linn, (1796-1843) United States Senator 1833-1843. Linville appears only once in the county records. It was soon shortened to Linn. (HIST. COLE etc., 645; OSAGE DIR., 22; Conrad, V, 30; E.M. Zevely; John Peters; HIST. CHARITON, 17)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Linn Township
Description:The northwest township named for Lewis F. Linn, United States Senator from Missouri, 1833-1843. Originated 1841. (E.M. Zevely; John Peters; HIST. COLE etc., 647; HIST. CHARITON, 17)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Linnville
Description:See Linn
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Linnwood
Description:See Ryors
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lisle
Description:See Lisletown
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lisletown
Description:The first post office in the county in Washington Township on the left bank of the Maries River. Named for its founder, Benjamin Lisle, and at first known merely as Lisle. It never prospered because Westphalia soon overshadowed it. The town was long ago abandoned. A resort, known as the Mariosa Delta, is now on the spot. The Maries River does not form a delta though there is a triangular-shaped piece of ground at its mouth which probably suggested the name. Mariosa is a contraction of the names of the Maries and Osage rivers. Sometimes written Mari-Osa. (Postal Guide 1853; HIST. COLE etc., Fisher's Map)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lock's Mill
Description:See Loose Creek
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Loehner School
Description:In Washington Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:In Crawford Township. An emblematic name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Loose Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A tributary of the Missouri River. Loose is a pioneer corruption of the French word for bear, L'Ours. Conard mentions the form, L'Ours, and it appears as such on maps 1865, 1873. HIST. COLE etc., mentions the form L'Ourse. Pike chartered it "Bear River," and it is still sometimes referred to as Bear Creek. Coues, in a footnote, in his edition of Pike says, "I suppose 'Loose Creek' to be a loose translation of a F.R. a l'Ours or l'Ourse, according to whether it was a he-bear or a she-bear which the Frenchman who first named the creek killed there. In any event this stream has given name to the village of Loose Creek and to Bear Creek Island, opposite its mouth." Ours - bear, Ourse - she-bear. (Coue's note, 370; HIST. COLE etc., 630; OSAGE DIR., 17; Littre; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Loose Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A post office in Linn Township. One of the oldest towns in the county. August Pickineaud, a Frenchman, entered the land in 1843. Wm. Muenks opened a store in 1845. The town was laid out by surveyor Bovie in 1870. It is named for the stream of the same name (q.v.) which it is near. It was also known as Russellville. It is not known why. It appears on maps 1865, 1873 as L'Ours Creek; same in Conard. It is mentioned in HIST. COLE etc. as L'Ourse Creek. The place was formerly known as Lock's Mill for a man named Lock who owns a mill there. (Postal Guide 1853f; Maps 1875f; HIST. COLE etc., 630; OSAGE DIR., 17; Conard, V, 28; J.R. Garstang; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Loose Rock
Description:A discontinued post office. No information could be obtained about the place. (Postal Guide 1867)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:L'Ours Creek
Description:See Loose Creek
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:L'Ourse Creek
Description:See Loose Creek
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Luystown
Description:A discontinued post office in northwest Crawford Township. Named for Andrews Luys, who entered the land where the village now stands. (Postal Guide 1886-1918; Maps 1887f; OSAGE DIR., 19)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Marais Creek
Description:See Maries River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Maries River
Description:Rises in Maries County and flows into the Osage River in Osage County. It was formerly spelled Marais, which is doubtless the original form. Marais is a French word meaning marsh or swamp, and some of the Maries River country is marshy. Another explanation, evidently a mere "folk etymology," is that the stream was named for two French girls called "Marie." This is seriously advanced by Eaton and local informants, but no one has attempted to identify the girls! Other spellings are River Maria, Mary's River, and Mary's Creek, obviously folk etymologies. (Eaton, 193; HISTORY OF COLE etc., 595; Coues's note, 371; Maps 1805f; Brown's Gaz., 178; Wetmore; Littre; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mariosa Delta
Description:See Lisletown
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mary's River
Description:See Maries River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Massman School
Description:In central Jackson Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mavais
Description:Perhaps an error of Hayward's for Marais in Maries County. (Hayward Postal Guide 1853)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:McDaniel School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for John J. McDaniel, an early presiding judge of the county court. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:McKinley School
Description:In Jefferson Township. The district was formed about the time William McKinley was elected president (1896). Vosholl and Ryors, law partners, became very popular while campaigning for McKinley. Each already had a town named for him, and when McKinley was elected, this school was named for him. (A.A. Schmudde)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:McKnight
Description:See Isbell Station
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Medora
Description:See St. Aubert
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Meta
Description:A post office in southwestern Jackson Township on the Rock Island Railroad. Named for Meta Schreifer, a sister of the man who owned the land, by John Terrill, attorney for the Rock Island Railroad. (Postal Guide 1904f; Maps 1904f; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Miller Grove School
Description:In Crawford Township. Named for the man who owned the grove in which the building stands. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mint Hill
Description:A post office in northern Crawford Township. Named for the thick growth of wild mint there and its location on a hill. (Postal Guide 1927f; Maps 1880f; Postal Guide 1876-1904; John Peters; B.A. Gaume)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mt. Aerial Methodist Church
Description:In southen Crawford Township. Probably named for its location on a hill. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mt. Aerial School
Description:In southern Crawford Township. Named for Mt. Aerial Methodist Church (q.v.) near which it is located. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:In northern Linn Township. A descriptive name. (J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mt. Zion Baptist Church
Description:In Jefferson Township. Organized in 1864. Mt. Zion was one of the hills on which Jerusalem was built. (Psa. li. 18) (Tom Walker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mt. Zion School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for Mt. Zion Baptist Church (q.v.) near which it is located. (Tom Walker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mud Creek
Description:A small stream which rises in Crawford Township, Osage County and empties into the Gasconade River in western Boulware Township, Gasconade County. The bed of this stream is muddy and, when the Gasconade River rises, this creek covers the surrounding bottoms with a layer of mud. (A.A. Schmudde; F.A. Schaeperkoetter)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mud Spring Baptist Church
Description:See College Hill Baptist Church
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Nallace's Landing
Description:See Wallace's Landing
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:New Helvetia
Description:On the Osage River. Helvetia is the Latin name for Switzerland. This place could not be located. (Fisher's Map 1857)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Nullace's Landing
Description:See Wallace's Landing
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oklahoma Christian Church
Description:In Crawford Township. So named because many of the members had retuned from the opening of Oklahoma Territory (1890) about the time the church was formed. (John Peters; J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Osage County
Description:Organized from Gasconade County by act of legislature January 29, 1841. It originally included part of Maries County. On the north is the Missouri River; on the south, Maries County; on the west, the Osage River and Miller County; on the east is Gasconade County. The county was named for the Osage River (q.v.), which forms most of its western boundary. (HIST. COLE etc., 593, 694)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oshawa
Description:In eastern Crawford Township on the Gasconade River. A discontinued post office. No information could be obtained about this place. Doubtless one of the many forms of the Indian name Osage. (Postal Guide 1870; Map 1873)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Owen Mills
Description:A discontinued post office in southern Crawford Township named for Frank Owens, who was the miller and storekeeper there. (Postal Guide 1886, 1887, 1890-1921; Maps 1904, 1913; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Peachland
Description:In central Crawford Township. A discontinued post office. So named because of the large peach orchard there. (Postal Guide 1870-1886; Maps 1873; 1880; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pilot Knob Baptist Church
Description:See Buck Elk Baptist Church
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Plattners School
Description:In southern Benton Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pointer's Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River which rises about six miles east of Linn. Named for the Pointer family who lived on its banks. (HIST. COLE etc., 630; E.M. Zevely; A.A. Schmudde)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pointer's Creek School
Description:In Crawford Township. Named for Pointer's Creek (q.v.) near which it is located. (A.A. Schmudde)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Portage
Description:In northeastern Benton Township on the Missouri River. Nothing could be learned of this place. (Map 1913)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Possum Town School
Description:In Crawford Township. This neighborhood is known as Possum town because there are many possums there. There is no town; in fact, the neighborhood is rather sparsely settled. It is a humorous name, implying that the neighborhood is a town of possums rather than people. (Gum Miller; John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Post Oak School
Description:In Jefferson Township. So named from the thick growth of post oak in that vicinity. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Potts
Description:A discontinued post office in Crawford Township. A family name. (Postal Guide 1910-1918; 1922; 1936; E.M. Zevely)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Prairie Creek
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide (Goodwin) 1867)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Quebec
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1888, 1889)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rehard Lake
Description:Near Chamois. Nothing could be learned of this place. (Map 1913)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rich Fountain
Description:A post office in eastern Washington Township settled about 1840. Named by Father Helias, the first Catholic priest in Osage County, because of the beautiful spring there. (Postal Guide 1867f OSAGE DIR., 18; HIST. COLE etc., 682)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Richel School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for Joseph Richel, a farmer. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:River Maria
Description:See Maries River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rost School
Description:In Benton Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Russellville
Description:See Loose Creek
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ryors
Description:A discontinued post office in eastern Crawford Township. (State Senator R.S. Ryors was a prominent Osage County lawyer, 1868-1889). Formerly known as Linnwood for Senator Lewis F. Linn. Also known as Stony Point for the limestone bluff there. (Postal Guide 1870-1933; HIST. COLE etc., 663; Maps 1880f; E.M. Zevely; B.A. Gaume; John Peters; A.A. Schmudde; Campbell's Gaz., 412)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Saint Aubert
Description:A post office in northwest Benton Township. Formerly known as Shipley's Landing for the Shipley family, early inhabitants of the place. It is on the Missouri River and there has been a boat landing there for many years. Also known as Medora, for the wife of its founder, J.M. Morrow, who laid out the town in 1855. Later the railroad changed the name to St. Aubert for St. Aubert in Callaway County across the river because of confusion with the mail addressed to that place which was dropped here and ferried across the river. It is misspelled St. Abert on map (1915) in Osage Dir. (OSAGE DIR., 18; HIST. COLE etc., 682; Postal Guide; J.R. Garstang; A.A. Schmudde)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Salem Presbyterian Church
Description:In Crawford Township. Cf. Salem Baptist Church.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shawnee Creek
Description:In Benton Township. Empties into a swamp between the Missouri Pacific Railroad and the Missouri River. There were Shawnee Indians in this county in early days.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shawnee Creek School
Description:In Benton Township on Shawnee Creek (q.v.) for which it is obviously named.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shipley's Landing
Description:See St. Aubert
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Smith's Creek [1 of 2]
Description:See Smith's Creek (Gasconade). The second post office in Osage County located on Indian (afterward Smith's) Creek. It was kept by Wyatt Smith as early as 1832. (HIST. COLE etc., 642)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Smith's Creek [2 of 2]
Description:Also known as Indian Creek. There were many Indians in this section in early days. It was probably named for Wyatt Smith who kept Smith's Creek post office (q.v.) on this creek. See Indian Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Aloysius Catholic Church
Description:At Argyle. Probably named for St. Aloyisus Gonzaga of Italy (1568-1591). (Cath. Enc.; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Boniface's Catholic Church
Description:At Koeltztown. There are many saints and a long line of popes named Boniface. Since it is a German community, the saint intended was probably the "Apostle of Germany" St. Boniface or Winfred, celebrated English missionary who labored in Germany from 716 until his death in 755. (Cath. Enc.; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Cecilia's Catholic Church
Description:At Meta. Named for the patron saint of music. It is thought she lived in the fourth century or earlier. (Cath. Enc.; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. George's Catholic Church
Description:At Linn. Organized 1867. Named for St. George, patron saint of England. His dates are unknown. (HIST. COLE etc., 687; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Johannes' German Lutheran Church
Description:At Chamois. Named for the apostle John. Johannes is the German form of his name. (A.A. Schmudde)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Description:At Westphalia. Organized 1839. There are several saints named Joseph, but this is probably the foster father of Jesus. (HIST. COLE etc., 687; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Louis Catholic Church
Description:At Bonnots Mill. There are several saints named Louis, but this is probably the famous Louis IX, King of France (1215-1270). (Cath. Enc.; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Mary's Catholic Church
Description:At Chamois. Organized in 1865. Named for Mary, the mother of Jesus. (HIST. COLE etc., 690; Reverend Henry Cooper)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Starke School
Description:In northern Benton Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stony Point
Description:See Ryors
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Success School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Obviously an ideal name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Swan Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River near Rich Fountain. So called because it was an outlet for Swan Lake (q.v.). (A.A. Schmudde)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Swan Lake
Description:A large pond (now drained), near Rich Fountain on which wild swan, as well as other water birds, stopped. (A.A. Schmudde; J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Third Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River in Third Creek Township. So named because it is the third largest creek in the county up the river from its mouth. (George Schneider)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Thompson's Store
Description:See Westphalia
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Triumph
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Jefferson Township. Obviously an ideal name. (Postal Guide 1910, 1915; Map 1913)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Useful
Description:A discontinued post office in southeastern Crawford Township. No information could be obtained about the origin of this name. (Postal Guide 1886-1890, 1910-1918; Maps 1913, 1936)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Van Buren
Description:An abandoned village five miles southeast of the site of Linn. A Mr. Goodman had a mill here. The land was bought and laid out into town lots. An effort was made to secure the county seat, but in vain, and the place soon died. Probably named for President Martin Van Buren (1849-1853). Misspelled "Vanburin" in the county records. (HIST. COLE etc., 642, 645)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Verhoff School
Description:In eastern Jackson Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Victor School
Description:In southern Crawford Township. Probably an ideal name. Formerly Comption Hill School, for a prominent citizen who owned the land. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vosholl
Description:A discontinued post office in southeast Linn Township. Named for J.W. Vosholl, prominent Osage County lawyer in the 1880s and 1890s. (Postal Guide 1901-1918, 1922; Maps 1904f; HIST. COLE etc., 664; J.R. Garstang)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wallace's Landing
Description:In Linn Township on the Missouri River between Bonnot's Mill and St. Aubert. It was a post office in 1860. Misspelled Nullace's Landing on Parker's map 1865, and Nallace's Landing on Nicely's map 1867. (Practically the same location on maps as Dailey, Isbell, McKnight). A Mr. Wallace was one of the earliest settlers in 1812. (Mo. Gaz., 465; Map 1873; HISTORY OF FRANKLIN etc., 620)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Washington Township
Description:The middle Township. Named for President George Washington. Organized 1841. (E.M. Zevely; HIST. COLE etc., 646)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Weeks Christian Church
Description:See Fairview Christian Church
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Welcome
Description:A discontinued post office in Crawford Township. Obviously an ideal name. (Postal Guide 1886-1915; Maps 1904f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Westphalia
Description:A village on the Maries River in Washington Township. It was settled and laid out in 1835 by Catholics from the province of Westphalia, Germany, for which it is named. Settled 1833. Also known as Thompson's Store for John Thompson who had a store there before the town was laid out by the Germans. (HIST. COLE etc., 642, 679; Osage Dir., 19)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wild Cat School
Description:In Crawford Township. So named because of its location in a very wild section of the county. It is practically inaccessible. There is no road within a mile of it. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Winkleman School
Description:In Washington Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wittenbach School
Description:In Benton Township. A family name. (John Peters)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names