Place Names Not Listed with a County, 1928-1945

Place name:Big Barren Creek
Description:
Source:

Place name:Big Muddy Branch
Description:A tributary of the Osage River. Named because it is so low and muddy. (B.M. Wix; Atkeson's HIST. BATES (1918), 285)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Muddy Creek
Description:A tributary of La Mine. Rises in Jefferson Township and flows northeast through Pettis County into Cooper County, named for the muddiness of its channel. (HIST. JOHNSON (1881), 196, 599)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buade River
Description:See Mississippi River.
Source:Welty, Ruth. "Place Names of St. Louis And Jefferson County." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Cape Girardeau and Southwestern Railroad
Description:See St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cape Girardeau and State Line Railroad
Description:See St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cape La Crushe Creek
Description:See Cape La Cruz Creek.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clear Creek (earlier Peshaw or Beshaw)
Description:Rises in the southeastern part of Vernon County, flows in a northeastern direction into Speedwell Township in St. Clair County, across the township, and empties into Grand River in the northern part of the Township. Named from its clear and sparkling waters. Mentioned by Coues. (Johnson's HIST. VERNON (1911), II, 548, 666; Coues EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), II, n. 385; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1067)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Condray Gravey
Description:
Source:

Place name:Deepwater Creek
Description:A tributary of Grand River; rises in Summit Township, Bates County; flows along the southern part of Henry County; named for the deep holes found in its channel by the early settlers. Mentioned by Coues. (Sam Cooper; B.R. Crawford; Mrs. Mary Jane Woody; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 319; HIST. CASS & BATES (1883), 760; Coues EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), note, p. 379)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:District of Louisiana
Description:See Upper Louisiana.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:District of Upper Louisiana
Description:See Ste. Genevieve County.
Source:Zimmer, Gertrude M. "Place Names Of Five Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1944.

Place name:Duckett Creek
Description:A creek in the southeastern part of St. Charles Township. No explanation for the name has been found. (HIGHWAY MAP, St. Charles 1940) Cf. Fort Duquette.
Source:Harrison, Eugenia L. "Place Names Of Four River Counties In Eastern Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1943.

Place name:East Fork of Tebo Creek
Description:A tributary of Tebo Creek in Henry County, for which it is named. Rises in Johnson County. (Henry Slack; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 374)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Faba River
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fabba
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fabba Creek
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fabian River
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fabiane River
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fabin's River
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Faby
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ferbien River
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gallinipper Creek (earlier Light Creek)
Description:This name which replaced Light Creek was given because there were so many large gallinippers on the stream. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Geffreon River
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Geoffrione River
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Grand Fork River
Description:Not found on the present map, but mentioned by Coues. Possibly the stream he had in mind was Grand River. (Coue's EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), 383)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grand Prairie
Description:An early name for the wide expanse of prairie land which begins with the break in the hills of the Missouri and Mississippi border land and stretches north to the Canadian border. "Grand" is the French word for "great" or "big." (Houck, III, 99, E.B. Kennan, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grand River
Description:A tributary of the Missouri River. Rises in Kansas and flows through Cass, Bates, Henry, and Benton Counties of Missouri. Mentioned by Coues. Named because it is the largest stream in that section of the country. (B.R. Crawford; Coues' EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), note 379; HIST. CASS & BATES (1883), 827)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hogle's Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in the eastern part of the county. Rises in Benton and named for John F. Hogle, who was an agent of the government with the Indians. Mentioned by Coues. (Lay's HIST. BENTON (1886), 15; Coues' EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), II, 380; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Horse Creek
Description:A tributary of Cedar Creek in Cedar County. Located in the southeastern part of Montevallo Township, and named by the settlers for the horses hidden by this creek by horse thieves after the Civil War. (Mrs. Mary Badger Meyers; Johnson's HIST. VERNON (1911), II, 615; Holcombe's HIST. VERNON (1887), 851)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Illinois
Description:"It should always be remembered that during the French and Spanish periods the country east of the Mississippi, north of the Ohio, and west of the Mississippi, perhaps north of --- Apple Creek in what is now Missouri was known as "Illinois" or "Illinois Country." (Houck: Note, II, 193) "The whole country, both sides of the Mississippi, was called "Illinois" in ancient times. When my father started from Knox County in eastern Tennessee for the "Spanish Country," as he intended, it was called there Illinois." (From a letter from Gov. Reynolds, dated Bellville, Illinois, Feb. 29, 1848; Appendix, ANNALS, Peck, 714) Nathaniel Pope of the Louisiana Territroy was appointed secretary for the Illinois Territory by James Madison, 1809. (ANNALS, Peck, 716) The name, Illinois, was in its original Algonquin form "Inini." "The men perfect and accomplished," but as corrupted by the French signifies a tribe or confederation of men. In 1679-1680, LaSalle, entering the river by way of Kankakee, named it "Illinois" after the allied tribes inhabiting the river. The name was transferred from the river to the outlying territory. (INTERN. CYC.)
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Illinois Country
Description:See Illinois
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jaufflone River
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jauflione River
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jauflioni River
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jaustioni River
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Javelot River
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jeffreon River
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jeffrion River
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Justioni River
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:K Railroad
Description:See St. Louis, Keokuk, & Northwestern Railroad.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:K.T. Railroad
Description:See Missouri, Kansas, & Texas Railroad.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kansas City and St. Joseph Railroad
Description:See Quincy, Omaha & Kansas City Railway.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kansas City, Clay County and Saint Joseph Interurban Railroad
Description:This road was open in 1913 between Kansas City and St. Joseph and Kansas City and Liberty, Clay County. It was abandoned in 1933. The name was derived from the two cities, Kansas City and St. Joseph, and the county of its northeast terminus. (Weimer)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad
Description:See St. Louis-San Francisco Railway.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kansas City, Fort Scott and Memphis Railroad
Description:See St. Louis-San Francisco Railway.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kansas City, Pittsburg and Gulf Railroad
Description:See Kansas City Southern Railroad.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kansas City, St. Joseph and Council Bluffs Railroad
Description:See Quincy, Omaha & Kansas City Railroad.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Katy Railroad
Description:See Missouri, Kansas, & Texas Railway Company.
Source:Welty, Ruth. "Place Names of St. Louis And Jefferson County." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Knob Creek
Description:A tributary of Grand River; rises in the central part of Sherman Township, Cass County, and goes into Henry County. Named for the bluffs or knobs on the south bank of the stream. (R.H. Ross, T.A. Washington, HIST. CASS & BATES (1883), 266)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Knoxville Branch
Description:Rises near Knoxville, flows northeast, and empties into East Fork of Crooked River. Named from the town. (ATLAS RAY 1877; Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Light Creek (later Gallinipper Creek)
Description:The earliest name of a creek which is a tributary of the Osage River. Mentioned by Coues. Later renamed Gallinipper Creek (q.v.). (Coues' EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), note 383)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Limbaugh's Creek
Description:A small stream in the eastern part of Lorance Township, emptying into Crooked Creek, named for the Limbaugh family, prominent pioneers of the county. (County Map (1906), Shell, Ladd)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lime River (later Weaublean Creek)
Description:A stream so called on Pike's Map (1806); Coues identifies with modern Wablo, Weablo, or Weaubleau (q.v.). Named by the early settlers for the great quantities of limestone rock found in the creek. (Jim Penn; Coues' EXPEDITION OF PIKE 91895), note 383)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Line Branch
Description:A stream that rises in Kansas and runs along the Bates County line for about two miles and then back into Kansas; named because of its location on Kansas and Missouri line. (W.R. Morrison; Warner & Foote's Map of Bates, 1877)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Litle Fabius
Description:A stream which rises in the southwestern corner of Lyon Township, flowing southeast to join the South Fabius River in Fabius Township. It takes its name from the Fabius River. (ATLAS KNOX 1876; R. McN., 1935)
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Byrd Creek
Description:A tributary of Byrd Creek (q.v.) in the western part of Byrd Township. (Houck II 185)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Clear Creek (earlier Little Peshaw)
Description:This name which replaced Little Peshaw (q.v.) was given by the settlers from the stream into which it empties. (Mrs. Mary Badger Meyers; Holcombe's HIST. VERNON (1887), 453; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1067)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Faba
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Fabba
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Peshaw (later Little Clear Creek)
Description:A tributary of Peshaw (q.v.); from which it doubtless is named. Later renamed Little Clear Creek (q.v.). (Holcombe's HIST. VERNON (1887), 842; Johnson's HIST. VERNON (1911), II, 666)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Weaubleau
Description:A tributary of Weaubleau Creek for which it was named. Rises in Hickory County. (R.P. Johnson; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 1049)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:A tributary of Muddy Branch; rises in the southern part of Washington Township and flows east into Pettis County. Named because it is a long stream. (J.M. Paxton; HIST. JOHNSON (1881), 488)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Louisiana Territory
Description:See Ste. Genevieve County.
Source:Zimmer, Gertrude M. "Place Names Of Five Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1944.

Place name:Marais des Cygnes River
Description:A stream rising in the northeastern part of Kansas and flowing through the southern part of Bates County. According to a letter from Milton Whiting, Chief of Bureau of Soils of the United States Department of Agriculture, published in the back of Atkeson's HISTORY OF BATES COUNTY, the earliest time the term Marais des Cygnes appeared was on a map published by Bradford in 1838. Mr. Whiting says, "I have found nothing to indicate who first applied the name to the stream. The term signifies "swan marshes" and was given undoubtedly because of the broad, swampy lowlands lying along its valley." Mentioned by Coues. An Indian legend long narrated in the county in regard to the naming as follows. An Indian brave was in love with an Indian maiden. In order to prove his love he had to perform some outstanding feat. So he was sent in war against another tribe, and was killed. When the Indian maiden heard this she went to a nearby stream and saw her lover in the water. She threw herself in and was drowned. As she was drowning, a white swan appeared, and the stream was so named. (Mrs. Robert Johnson; Atkeson's HIST. BATES (1918), 980; Coues' EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), note 386)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marmaton River
Description:A tributary of the Little Osage River; rises in the eastern part of Kansas and flows halfway across the central part of Vernon County; then turns north. The name may be of Indian origin, but its original meaning is unknown. Since it has a French sound, it has been called a corruption of the French word "Marmite" signifying a pot or cooking kettle. Coues says, "The name of the river is the French word Marmiton, scullion, from Marmite, pot or kettle; the settlers pronounce it Mommytaw." The earliest map on which I found it was Map of Bates County 1839. Also in Coues' edition of Pikes Expedition it is given in a note on page 386. (Holcombe's HIST. VERNON (1887), 484; Coues' THE EXPEDITION OF ZEBULON PIKE (1895), II, note, p. 386)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marshall Creek
Description:A tributary of Deepwater Creek; rises in St. Clair County, flows in a northeasterly direction into Henry County; named for an early settler. (F.C. Parker; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 467)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Middle Branch
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Middle Fabies
Description:See Middle Fabius.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Middle Fabius
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Middle Fabius Creek
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mill Creek
Description:A tributary of the Big Blue Creek in Jackson County; rises in Cass County in the western part of Mt. Pleasant Township. Named for a mill located on the J.A. Lewis place about 1840. The mill was removed in 1846, but the stream kept the name. (D.C. Idol; HIST. CASS & BATES (1883), 208)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mine Creek
Description:A tributary of the Marais des Cygnes; rises in Kansas and enters Bates County, Missouri, in the northwestern part of Walnut Township. Named for the early settlers for the coal that was uncovered by the constant washing of the stream, and left exposed so that people could go into the stream and pick it up. (Mrs. Robert Johnson; Warner & Foote's Map of Bates, 1877)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mississippi and Missouri Air-Line Railroad
Description:A railroad projected in 1860 from Glasgow, Howard County, northeast to Keokuk, Iowa, to pass through Shelby, Knox, Lewis and Clark. It promised to be a success, bonds were subscribed, but the road was never constructed because the company failed to comply with conditions. The order was revoked in 1868. (Campbell 1873, 55; HIST. SCOTLAND 1887, 454; HIST. LEWIS 1887, 170-173; HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, 388)
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mississippi Valley and Northwestern Railroad
Description:A road projected in 1878, the proposed route to cross the corner of Knox to the southwest. So named for the proposed location. (ATLAS KNOX 1878)
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Missouri River Road
Description:See Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Missouri Territory
Description:See Ste.Genevieve County.
Source:Zimmer, Gertrude M. "Place Names Of Five Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1944.

Place name:Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad
Description:See Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad Company
Description:This line was originally the Union Pacific Railway Company (Southern Branch). It was begun in 1865. In 1870 when it reached Emporia, it passed into the hands of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad Company. Named for the three states it serves. It is better known by its shorter name, Katy, formed from K-T, the initial letters of Kansas and Texas. (Scharf (1883), II. 1179)
Source:Welty, Ruth. "Place Names of St. Louis And Jefferson County." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Norris Fork
Description:Rises in Chilhowee Township, Johnson County, and flows into Henry County into Big Creek. Named in memory of William Norris, who settled on this stream in what is now Henry County in 1831. (HIST. JOHNSON (1881), 569)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North Branch of the South Fabius
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:North Fabius
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:North Fork of the South Fabius
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:North Missouri Railroad
Description:See Wabash Railroad.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Old Harmony Mission Road (earlier Osage Trail)
Description:Regularly located and cut out March 7, 1835. Named for Old Harmony Mission. (Miss Betty Rosser; Lay's HIST. BENTON (1876), 15)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Old Indian Trail
Description:Ran from south to north in a northwestern course entering the county southeast of Warrensburg, thence north toward Lexington on the Missouri River. The trail was from the Osage River near where Warsaw is to Lexington. Named because used by Indians first. (R.J. Grover; Cockrell's HIST. JOHNSON (1918), 78)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Old Papinsville Road (earlier Osage Warpath)
Description:This name which replaced Osage Warpath (q.v.) was given after the town of Papinsville was established for the town. (Miss Betty Rosser)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osage River
Description:This important stream waters a large part of southwest Missouri, running through Vernon, St. Clair, Benton, Camden, Miller, Cole and Osage Counties, and emptying into the Missouri River about ten miles below Jefferson City. It was named for the Osage tribe of Indians, who occupied this territory. The name was originally spelled in different forms. Coronado in 1541 spoke of the "Haxa" or "Hayas." According to Long, out of the Indian name Wa ca se or Waw sash e or Wass ash sha, the modern name of these Indians has been coined. By Marquette the word was spelled "Ouchage" and "Autre acha." On Franquelin's map it was spelled "Zages," and by Penicaut it was spelled "Huzzas," "Ous" and "Wawhas." Holcombe says Osage meant strong, probably referring to the gigantic appearance of the Osages, few of whom according to Bradbury were under six feet in height. But Houck declares that the meaning of the original form Wacase was merely "men" or "people." At the time of Marquette's journey (1673) the Osage seem to have been located near the mouth of the Missouri River, called by him the Osage River; later they removed to the neighborhood of the river now bearing their name, where they long remained. According to Holcombe and Atkeson, Du Tissenet named the river Ouschage, in 1719. (Houck's HIST MISSOURI I, 133; Thwaite's Early Western Travels XVI, 273; Holcombe's HIST. VERNON (1887), 94; Atkeson's HIST. BATES (1918), 47; Coues' EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), II, note 371; also Houck, pp. 177, 178, 179)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osage Trace
Description:A trail extending from the Osage Village through Vernon, St. Clair, Cedar, Polk, Greene, Stone and Taney Counties, Missouri. Named for the Osage Indians. (Miss Betty Rosser; Houck's HIST. MISSOURI (Map 226), I)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osage Trail (later Old Harmony Mission Road)
Description:From Osage Village through St. Clair, Benton, Pettis, Saline, to the Missouri River. Travelled by the Osage Indians for whom it was named. (Miss Betty Rosser; Houck's HIST. MISSOURI (Map 226), I)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osage Warpath (now the old Papinsville Road)
Description:The earliest name of a trail extending from Old Harmony Mission through Vernon, Barton, Jasper, Newton, and McDonald Counties. Travelled by the Osage Indians, for whom it was named. (Miss Betty Rosser; Houck's HIST. MISSOURI (Map 226), I)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ozark Mountains
Description:The name of these mountains is doubtless, as Eaton says, from the combination of two French words "aux arcs." There is some difference of opinion as to the meaning of the element "arcs." Eaton says that it "bends" of White River as it pursues its wandering course through the mountains; in other words the Ozarks are "the mountains at the bends of the river." A more probable explanation, which is confirmed by the early French records, is that "arcs" was short for Arkansas, the tribe of Indians originally occupying the whole region; that is, Ozarks meant "the mountains in the Arkansas country." The third, which is improbable is that it is a combination of the names of two Indian tribes, the Osage and the Arkansas. (Colonel Ford; Chas. Groom; Eaton (46) IV, p. 338)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Panther Creek
Description:A tributary of Big Creek; rises in the southwestern part of Index Township, Cass County and goes into Johnson County. Named by the early settlers for some incident regarding a panther or for the panthers in this vicinity. (T.J. George; HIST. CASS & BATES (1883), 200)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Peshaw (also Beshaw; later Clear Creek)
Description:The earliest name of a creek that rises in Barton County and runs through the northeastern part of Vernon County, past the northwest corner of Cedar County, and through St. Clair County. Empties into Grand River. An Indian name, the meaning of which is not known. Caled Beshaw by Coues. Later renamed Clear Creek (q.v.). (Holcombe's HIST. VERNON (1887), 842; Coues' EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), II, note 385)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Branch
Description:A tributary of Walnut Creek in Hazel Hill Township. Rises in Jackson County, flows through the eastern part of Cass County into the southwestern part of Johnson County. Named because its course is through a prairie. (Judge E.F. Tracy; HIST. JOHNSON (1881), 646)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rio Grande de Espirtu Santo
Description:See Mississippi River.
Source:Zimmer, Gertrude M. "Place Names Of Five Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1944.

Place name:Riviere Zenon
Description:See Hubble Creek.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sac River
Description:A tributary of the Osage River, whose tributaries water parts of Cedar, Hickory, and St. Clair Counties. There is a well grounded tradition that during the 1820s the Sac Indians held some pow-wows at the big spring where Stockton now stands, and that the earliest pioneers named the stream for them. We find also that the Sac Indians lived in the western part of Hickory County about fifteen miles from Stockton. An old pioneer, "Jack" Beard, said it was named because a party of Sacs (probably of the Missouri River band) camped on it about 1820, according to Coues in a note. (Myers, Place Names of Southwest Counties, p. 132; Coues' EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), note, p. 384)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Santa Fe Trail
Description:The Northeast Missouri-Mississippi River end of the Santa Fe Trail ran originally through Main Street, Palmyra, from Quincy, Illinois, by way of present Highway 61. A new trail was then established further north in Marion (by way of the present location of Hester (q.v.) to Moberly from Quincy. Later yet stage coaches on this end of the trail plied by way of the Canton, Monticello, and Memphis State Road (q.v.). The old Indian trail known as the Santa Fe Trail started at Old Franklin, Howard County, following the Missouri River westward thence to the Colorado Mountains and southwest to Santa Fe, New Mexico, whence the name. The trail was opened in 1804. The town of Santa Fe lays claim, along with St. Augustine, Florida, to being the oldest settlement in the United States. It is asserted that the place was a populous Indian pueblo as early as 1541. (Duffus 1930, 260-266; INTERN. CYC., Lena E. Coons; Jacob Tate; John Lemmons; (F) Mrs. Minnie B. Minter)
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shawnee Indian Trail
Description:In the southwestern part of the county coming from Shawnee Mound in Henry County to Johnson County northwest through Rose Hill Township to Center Knob near Kingsville. Named for the Shawnee Indians. (Ed. King; Cockrell's HIST. JOHNSON (1918), 79)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Slater Branch
Description:Cf. below.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:South Branch of the South Fabius
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:South Fabius
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:South Fork of North River.
Description:See North River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:South Fork of the North Fabius
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:South Fork of the South Fabius
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Southwest Pacific Railroad
Description:See St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spanish Country
Description:See Illinois
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Louis and Gulf Railroad
Description:See St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Louis, Cape Girardeau, and Fort Smith Railroad
Description:See St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad.
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sugar Tree School
Description:Cf. above
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tebo Creek
Description:A tributary of Grand River in Benton County; rises in the southern part of Johnson County. To be distinguished from Tebo River which empties into the Missouri River in Lafayette County. The name is also spelled Tabo, Teabo, and Tebeau. Coues gives and impossible derivation from "Terre Beau," which he conjectures (on the authority of R.I. Holcombe) to have been the original name of the prairie in Lafayette County where Tebo R6666iver rises; but this is impossible French, which could only have the form "belle terre." Mr. Slack says that Tebo Creek took its name in an early day from a Frenchman, which is much more likely. The names of two early French traders who might have been in this country are mentioned by Houck: Herbert dit Berry Tabuea, and Francois Thibeault dit Liberge, both forest traders with the customary Indian sobriquets. (Henry Slack; Coues' EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), note p. 379; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 375; Houck's HIST. MISSOURI, I, 245, 246)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Territory of Louisiana
Description:See Upper Louisiana
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Territory of Missouri
Description:See Upper Louisiana
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:The Katy
Description:See Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Upper Louisana
Description:The name was applied to the territory west of the Mississippi, extending indefinitely north and west, and southward in part to the Arkansas River. The original boundary so remained under both French and Spanish control. In 1682 LaSalle had taken possession of the country west of the Mississippi in the name of Louis XIV, and given it the name Louisiana. In 1705 a French party explored and took possession of the Missouri River, adopting the Indian name already given the river as well as the Indians that lived on its shores. Spain was ceded all this western territory by secret treaty in 1762. (See District of St. Charles). In 1800 Spain again transferred the territory to France. Three years later (1803), it was sold by Napoleon to the United States. By Act of Congress in 1804 Upper Louisiana became known as the District of Louisiana, and was placed with Illinois under the jurisdiction of Indiana. In 1805 the name was changed to that of the Territory of Louisiana, and in 1813 it became known as the Territory of Missouri, taking the Indian name for the river, Missouri. The Territory of Missouri, limited in its extent, became the State of Missouri in 1821. Out of the original Territory of Missouri were carved twelve states. (Shepard, 35-37; Rozier, 28, 46, 47, 56, 91, 147, 220, 221, 223, 224, 231, 232, 245, 259; Stevens (1915), p. IX; INTERN. CYC.)
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Walnut Creek
Description:A tributary of Grand River in Henry County; rises in the northern part of Sherman Township in Cass County. Named for walnut trees that grow along the banks of the stream. (B.R. Crawford; HIST. CASS & BATES (1883), 266)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Weaubleau Creek (earlier Lime River (?); also spelled Wablo and Weablo)
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in the eastern part of St. Clair County. Rises in Hickory County. Coues identifies with a "Lime River" (q.v.) on Pike's Map of 1806. In his note Coues gives the variant spellings Wablo and Weablo for Weaubleau, which correspond better to the present pronunciation, but are not recorded elsewhere. The name is of Indian origin, but its original meaning is not preserved. (Coues' EXPEDITION OF PIKE (1895), note, 383; HIST. HENRY & ST. CLAIR (1883), 889)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Whiteaker Place
Description:
Source:

Place name:Zile au Boy Creek
Description:See Isle au Bois Creek.
Source:Zimmer, Gertrude M. "Place Names Of Five Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1944.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names