Nodaway County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adams Grove
Description:Thomas Adams made a settlement in the locality which became known as Adams Grove in the early days. About a thousand acres of land was covered with timber, largely burr oak, in the region where he settled. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 244)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Albright School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Allison
Description:A country post office, now defunct. It was named for a citizen of the community, perhaps the postmaster. (C. Gooden; Mo. Gaz., 1898- 1899, p. 131)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Arkoe
Description:Dr. P.H. Talbott and Scott K. Snively laid off the town of Arkoe on September 15, 1874. The post office was first called Bridgewater (q.v.) for the town one mile south. Historians quote Dr. Talbott as saying he selected the name Arkoe from a book which he was reading, called TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. Doubtless the book referred to is Jules Verne's TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, but the name Arkoe could not be verified either in this book nor its sequel, THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. Mr. Snively also accepted Dr. Talbott's explanation of the name and could give no further information concerning its origin. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 326-327; Conard, Vol. 1, p. 58; Mo. Gaz., 1879, p. 91)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Arkoe School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Atchison Township
Description:David R. Atchison, whose estate was located in this township, was prominent in the establishment of Clinton County. His brother Allen was an early settler in the same county and township. The township in Nodaway County was located in 1845. Both townships were named for the distinguished Missourian, who was president of the United States for a day. (HIST. OF CLINTON p. 118, 136; Map. Nodaway County; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 248)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Baker School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Barnard
Description:Barnard was platted April 10, 1870, by the Barnard City Improvement Company and named in honor of J.F. Barnard, the superintendent of the railroad which runs through the town. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. I, p. 255; HIST. NODAWAY 1882, p. 161; Eaton, p. 336)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Barnes School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bedison
Description:This town was formerly called Calla Station (q.v.) and Valentine (q.v.). When the Wabash Railway was extended thru the village, officals changed the name to Bedison. Their reason for the name is lost. (N. Sisson (letter); C. Gooden; T.A. Cummins; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 313)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bedison School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bell Grove
Description:A settlement named for William Bell, an early settler. (C. Gooden)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Belle Grove School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Blackman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bowman's Branch
Description:William Bowman, was an early settler on the stream which was named for him. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 167)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bridgewater
Description:At an early date a mill was built on the One Hundred and Two River by J.B. Cox, and the village which sprang up was called Bridgewater from the fact that the railroad constructed two bridges at this point, within one thousand feet of each other and there was a county bridge between them. The river makes an elbow curve at this place. The town was abandoned when Arkoe (q.v.) was established. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 326; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 327)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brownville
Description:A name derived from a family who settled on or near the land about 1845. (N. Sisson (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brushy Creek
Description:A name descriptive of the land along the banks of the stream was given to creeks in four counties. Sub-branches of the stream in Daviess County are called East and West Brushy, according to their position to the main stream. (HIST. DAVIESS, p. 647; ATLAS OF DAVIESS, 1898; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; SOME PIONEER HISTORY; HIST. CALDWELL & LIVINGSTON, p. 550; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 276)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bunker Hill School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Burlington Junction
Description:This town, first called Lewiston (q.v.), and then Cleveland (q.v.), derives its present name from the fact that the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad crosses the Wabash at this point. The first name was given in 1879. (HIST. NODAWAY, 1882, p. 252; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 305)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Burr Oak Branch
Description:Doubtless a name derived from the trees along the bank of the stream. Bur Oak Grove, in the same township, Monroe, covers 320 acres. (HIST. NODAWAY, 1882, p. 167; 244)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Burr Oak School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Butler School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Calla
Description:Platted in 1882 by Thomas S. Wright, and named for a prominent citizen in the community. This place is also called Calla Station; Valentine (q.v.) and Bedison (q.v.). (N. Sisson (letter); Maryville Dem. Forum, June 12, 1916, p. 6)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Canal Branch
Description:This is a very small stream of water entering the One Hundred and Two River. (N. Sisson (letter) )
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Carken Branch
Description:A name derived from a family who settled in that vicinity in an early day. (Cooper Gooden; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Carter School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cartersville
Description:Before the town of Guilford (q.v.) was laid off in 1856 there was a post office near the site called Cartersville. This name was derived from a family in the village. (HIST. NODAWAY 1882, p. 318)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Casteel School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Central School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Champion Hill School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:City Bluff
Description:A country store and post office on the bluffs of the Nodaway River; hence the name. It is also known as Halsa's Ferry (q.v.) and Dawsonville (q.v.). (Mo. Gaz., 1876-1877, p. 142; Campbell, p. 405; N. Sisson (letter) )
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clear Creek
Description:Evidently named for the character of its waters. (HIST. OF CLINTON, 1881, p. 88; HIST. OF DAVIESS, p. 610; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clearmont
Description:There are two theories regarding the origin of this name. One is, that it derives its name from Clear Creek, which flows about forty feet below; the other, that Mr. Call, one of the original landowners of the site, came from Clearmont, Indiana, and he naturally gave this name to the new town. Both are very probable, but the town in Indiana is spelled "Clermont." It was platted in 1857. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 251; Postal Guide, 1868, p. 29)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cleveland
Description:The name of the town called Lewiston was changed to Cleveland, by the people of the Ohio Colony, for Cleveland, Ohio. Later it was changed to Burlington Junction (q.v.) since there was another town in the state called Cleveland. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 305; HIST. NODAWAY 1882, p. 252)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clyde
Description:This town is one of the few towns which has the distinction of being named at a public meeting. When more than fifty people assembled in 1880 for the purpose of naming the post office and village, it was learned that Frank Bellows had just returned from Canada where he had bought some imported Clydesdale horses. The people decided to name the place Clyde, after the famous horses. Previous to this time the village was called New Conception (q.v.). (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 290; Eaton p. 336)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clyde School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Colored School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Common Sense School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Conception
Description:Father Powers came to this region in 1856, from Reading, Pennsylvania, and founded a Catholic Church. The town wa named in honor of the Immaculate Virgin. With the establishment of Conception Junction (q.v.) the town called Conception became known as Old Conception. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 289; Eaton, p. 336)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Conception Junction
Description:Conception Junction came into existence with the crossing of the Wabash and Chicago Railroads at that point. It was platted in 1895, and since the name of the town, one mile east, called New Conception had been changed to Clyde (q.v.) this town was named Conception Junction. This town is now frequently referred to as New Conception or New Town. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 291)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Council Corner School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crooks
Description:At one time, Crooks was a station on a branch railroad, but it has now ceased to exist. The name is derived from that of a business man, a Mr. Crooks of Clarinda, Iowa, and was doubtless given by officials of the Clarinda, St. Louis Railroad. (N. Sisson (letter); Mo. Gaz., 1889, p. 297)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Davis School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dawson
Description:See Dawsonville
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dawson School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dawsonville
Description:This town was platted in 1879 and named in honor of Lafe Dawson, of Maryville, a prominent citizen of the county and Governor of Alaska during Cleveland's administration. It is now usually called Dawson and has been known as Halsa's Ferry (q.v.) and City Bluff (q.v.). (Conard, p. 242; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 296; Hopkins Journal, Sept. 16, 1915, p. 2., supplement. HIST. NODAWAY, p. 238; N. Sisson (letter) )
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dougan School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Douglas School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dupont
Description:A country post office in existence between the years 1891 and 1893. (Mo. Gaz., 1891, p. 311; 1893, p. 306)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:East Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ebony
Description:Elmo (q.v.) is said to have been known originally as Ebony, a name which was perhaps derived from the hard, durable timber. Another spelling is Ebbony. The name must have been of transient existence, for old settlers do not remember it. (N. Sisson (letter); PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 297; Mo. Gaz., 1891, p. 314; 1893, p. 319)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elk Horn School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elkhorn Creek
Description:A tradition says that this stream was named from the fact that very large horns from an elk, which had been killed at an early date, were hung on the branches of a tree and were allowed to remain there for many years, giving rise to the name Elkhorn Creek. (HIST. NODAWAY, 1882, p. 193; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 267)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elmo
Description:The fact that Elmo was first called St. Elmo indicates that the name was doubtless derived from Jane Evans Wilson's novel, published in 1866, St. Elmo. The book was widely read. Since a railroad accident is one of the central incidents of the story, it would have particular interest for those who were employed by the railroad companies. Elmo wa laid out by railroad officials and the Western Improvement Company in 1879. The Missouri Gazetteer states that Elmo was once called Ebony (q.v.). (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 297; Mo. Gaz., 1883, p. 319; 1891, p. 314)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eudora School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Evans School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Excelsior School (2)
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview
Description:Fairview is an interesting descriptive name, found in three counties. An account of the origin of the name in Harrison County as told by Mr. E.W. Howe, in his STORY OF A COUNTRY TOWN, is as follows: "On the highest and bleakest point in the county, where the winds were plenty in winter because they were not needed, and scarce in summer for an opposite reason, the meeting-house was built, in a corner of my father's field. This was called Fairview, and so the neighborhood was known." In reality, the name describes a locality near Bethany which was made famous by Mr. Howe's popular story. Fairview, Nodaway County, was established about 1875 by John Bilby, who came from Illinois to Missouri, where he bought several thousand acres of land. He was the first postmaster in Fairview. Originally the town site was known as Whig Valley (q.v.). Denver, Worth County, was first given the name Fairview. (Eaton, p. 74; Inman, p. 98; N. Sisson (letter); MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 303; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 522; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 260)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Florida Creek
Description:The origin of this name was not found. (Cited in PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 309; 258; 30)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fox School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Franklin School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fryer School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Garfield School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gaynor
Description:A post office established in the 1870s and named for Edward Gaynor, a blacksmith who went into business there in 1876. Formerly it was called Gaynor City. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 280)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gaynor City
Description:See Gaynor
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gaynor School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gill School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gillett
Description:A country post office, now defunct. Perhaps the name was derived from a family who lived in the community. (N. Sisson (letter); Mo. Gaz., 1891, p. 363)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Glendale
Description:A village in Andrew County and discontinued post office established in Nodaway County in 1870, were evidently named Glendale, a name which describes their location. (Names File, No. 20; Davis & Durrie, p. 316; MISSOURI GAZ., 1879, p. 260; N. Sisson (letter); H.N. Kennedy)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Good Will School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Graham
Description:Andrew Brown laid out the town of Graham in 1856 and named it Jacksonville (q.v.). In 1859 the name was changed to Graham, in honor of Amos Graham, who was prominent in local government affairs in the early days of the county, and through whose influence the town was established. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 273; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 205; Eaton, p. 336; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 84)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grant Township
Description:Not only was Grant a popular name for towns and post offices, but it was also a general favorite with the county courts which selected the names for townships. Five counties thus honored General Grant; one county, Harrison, gave the name in 1845, in honor of a prominent family of the county. In May, 1870, Caldwell County Court divided Blythe Township and named the new township Grant. In 1866, Jackson Township, Daviess County, was divided, forming Grant, but four years later the name was changed to Jamesport. In the same year the name was rejected in Daviess County, DeKalb organized a township and named it Grant. In Nodaway County, Washington and White Cloud Townships were reorganized; the new one formed was named in honor of the commander-in-chief of the Union forces. The dates for the organization of the Grant Townships in Nodaway and Holt were not found. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 617; SOME PIONEER HIST. ATLAS OF DAV., p. 12; HIST. OF DAV., p. 305; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn; ATLAS OF HOLT, 1876, p. 23; HIST. OF NOD., p. 159)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gray Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gray's Creek
Description:William Gray was among the early pioneers of Nodaway County. He settled in the vicinity of this stream. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 310; 671)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Green School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Greene Township
Description:These townships may have been named for General Nathaniel Greene of Revolutionary fame; (q.v.) the names of other townships in Nodaway County, Washington, Jefferson and Monroe. Although the names of other townships of Worth County were not selected from military leaders, the spelling of this name with the final "e" indicated that it may have been derived from the same source as the township in Nodaway. (PAST AND PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 258; John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Griffith School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Guilford
Description:Guilford is said to have derived its name from Guilford Court House, North Carolina, which was the scene of a battle of the Revolutionary War, and from which some of the early settlers came. Guilford, North Carolina, was named in honor of the Earl of Guilford. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 321; Eaton, p. 336; Gannett, p. 146; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 318)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Guthrie School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hagey School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Halifax Creek
Description:Halifax is a small stream in Hughes Township, crossing sections 30, 35, and 36. Two of these sections were settled in 1865 and 1867 by pioneers from Pennsylvania and Maryland. Halifax was a rather common name in the east, there being one town in Pennsylvania, as well as in North Carolina, Massachusetts, Virginia, and Vermont, besides the city in Canada. (Postal Guide, 1869; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 192)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Halsa's Ferry
Description:A discontinued post office named for Amos Halsa, a pioneer who owned a ferry on the Nodaway River at this point. Also called City Bluff and Dawsonville (q.v.). (C. Gooden; Mo. Gaz., 1883, p. 388)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Happy Hollow School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hardesty School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harmon School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harmony School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hazelett School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Herron School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hickory Creek
Description:Four creeks, found in Daviess, Gentry, Harrison, and Nodaway Counties, were named for the timber which grew along the banks of these streams. In Nodaway County, the hickory grove for which the creek was named covered half a section of land. (Adams, p. 112; T.A. Cummins; J.S. Williams; R.H. Dunn; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 201; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 244)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hilton
Description:A discontinued post office, named for local residents. (C. Gooden; Cited in Mo. Gaz., 1876-1877, p. 225)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Honey Creek
Description:According to the HISTORY OF DAVIESS COUNTY, Honey Creek, in that county, was "named from the number of bee trees found in the woods along its banks." John Stokes was one of a party of bee hunters who gave the name. In Nodaway County the name was derived from similar circumstances. (HIST. DAVIESS, p. 147; 170; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 128; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 30)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hopkins
Description:Named for A.L. Hopkins, a railroad official. The town was platted in 1870. (Eaton, p. 336; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 175; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 265)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hopkins Township
Description:Although history records that this township was named directly for A.L. Hopkins, no doubt the naming of the principal town within its limits, Hopkins, a few months before, influenced the selection of the name. The town was named in the Spring of 1871; the township, in November of the same year. (Eaton, p. 336; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 175; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 265)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Huff Branch
Description:Joseph Huff was an early settler on the banks of this stream. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 167; 196)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hughes
Description:Located in Hughes Township; hence the name. (Cited in Mo. Gaz., 1891, p. 414; C.H. Talbott (letter) )
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hughes Township
Description:Established in April, 1845, at that time, General Andrew S. Hughes was prominent because of his dealings with the Indians who occupied this region prior to 1845. Hence the name. (Cited in PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 267; C.H. Talbott (letter) )
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hutchison's Branch
Description:George Hutchison was a resident of the township, Hughes, through which this stream flows. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 192; 961)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hutson's Creek
Description:Mill Creek (q.v.) was first called Hutson's, for the blacksmith who made the first set of mill irons for a mill located on the creek. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 295; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 293)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Immaculate Conception School (3)
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Independence School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Independence Township
Description:Independence was made a separate township from Jackson in May, 1856, which perhaps accounts for the name. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 276-279)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ireland School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Four counties honored Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the United States, when each named a township Jackson: Buchanan in 1843; Clinton, 1833; Daviess, 1840; and Nodaway, 1866. Andrew & Gentry Counties honored pioneer settlers. Jackson Township, in Andrew County, eas established in 1846. (HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; HIST. OF CLINTON, p. 103; HIST. OF DAVIESS, p. 252; 744; ATLAS OF DAVIESS, 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; Sam Evans (letter); PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 281; C. Gooden; Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jacksonville
Description:In Gentry County, Jacksonville was named for William Jackson and his brother, founders of the town. It was established about 1876. Graham, (q.v.) in Nodaway County, was named Jacksonville in 1856 when it was established by Andrew Brown. It was doubtless named in honor of Andrew Jackson. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 154; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 205; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 84; Eaton, p. 336; PAST & PRESENT, p. 273)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jefferson School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:All of the counties, with the exception of Gentry, which honored Andrew Jackson by naming townships for him, likewise honored Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States. The dates for the organization of these townships are as follows: Andrew, 1846; Buchanan, 1839; Clinton, 1838; Daviess, 1840; Harrison, about 1845; Nodaway, 1871. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF DAV., p. 252; Sam Evans (letter); ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; R.H. Dunn; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 286)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jones Branch
Description:Named for a pioneer settler. (Cited in PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 258; C. Gooden)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jones Branch School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kihoga Creek
Description:Before Nodaway County was organized, the territory was occupied by Indians who named a number of streams. Kihoga is said to have thus received its name. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 85)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Knabb School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Labelle School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lafayette School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lamar Station
Description:Named for its founder John Lamar. When the railroad changed its route, building through Burlington Junction and Elmo, Lamar Station was abandoned. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 298)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lasher School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lewiston
Description:Named for the President of the Wabash Railway. Later the name was changed to Cleveland (q.v.) and then to its present form, Burlington Junction (q.v.). (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 252; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 305; Burlington Junction Post., August 4, 1921, p. 3)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Liberty School (92)
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lincoln School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lincoln Township
Description:Andrew County named a township Lincoln for John Lincoln mentioned under Lincoln Creek (q.v.). Atchison County, in 1871; Caldwell, in 1869; Daviess, in 1866; Harrison, in the 1860s; and Nodaway, in 1866, all honored Abraham Lincoln by naming townships for him. (Names File, No. 20; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 526; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 789; ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; Sam Evans (letter); B.P. Sigler; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 293)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Littsville
Description:A country post office, perhaps named for the Litts family. (Postal Guide, 1868, p. 84; 214)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Logan School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:The name Long Branch, describes the length of streams found in four counties of Northwest Missouri. (Names File No. 20; J.S. Williams; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 650; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 276)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Long Branch School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lorain School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lutzton
Description:A post office and hamlet in Independence Township named for Peter Lutz, postmaster there in 1868. (Campbell spells the name Luteston, which is incorrect). (C. Gooden; Mo. Gaz., 1879, p. 414; Campbell, p. 406; Postal Guide, 1868, p. 86)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lyle
Description:An early country post office perhaps named for Hugh Lyle, who settled in Nodaway County in 1869. (Mo. Gaz., 1883, p. 616; C. Gooden)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lyle School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lynchburgh
Description:In 1868 William V. Smith was postmaster at a place called Lynchburgh, a name which is listed in the post office guide for seven states, among which are Tennessee and Virginia. Smith was a native of Tennessee, coming to Missouri with his parents in 1828. His father was a native of Virginia. (Postal Guide, 1868, p. 86; 214; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 1028)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Martha Washington School
Description:Named for a famous woman.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Maryville
Description:The County Seat of Nodaway was named in honor of the first white woman in the town, Mary Graham, wife of Amos Graham, who filled three county offices. Maryville was laid out in 1845. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 62; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 270; Eaton, p. 336)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McCann School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McDowell's Branch
Description:Named for a family who lived near the stream. (C. Gooden; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 267)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mill Creek
Description:Settlements were made along Mill Creek, in Caldwell County, by the Mormons, in 1838. Doubtless the name was derived from an early mill. In Holt County, the stream was called after a mill built by John Thorpe. Hutson's Creek (q.v.), in Nodaway County, became known as Mill Creek for the mill built on its banks. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 344; HIST. OF HOLT. & ATCH., p. 116; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 293)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Miller School (2)
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mineral Springs Branch
Description:This name testifies to the fact that there was once a mineral springs in the vicinity of the Nodaway River, in Green Township. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 167)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Monroe Township
Description:James Monroe, fifth President of the United States, was honored by a township having been named for him in each of the three counties of Andrew, Daviess and Nodaway. The County Court, of Daviess, reorganized and renamed many of the townships, giving them names for national leaders. Monroe Township, Nodaway, was organized on February 12, 1881. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; ATLAS OF DAV., 1890, p. 12; HIST. OF DAV., p. 799; Sam Evans (letter); PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 299)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Moore School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Morgan School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Morning View School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mowery School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mowry Branch
Description:Possibly a family name. G.D. Mowry and his brother, C.M., came to Nodaway County in 1870. Sometimes spelled Mowery. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 260; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 276)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mozingo Branch
Description:Named for John Mozingo, an early settler. (C. Gooden; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 276)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mozingo School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Ayr School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Joy School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Tabor School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Vernon School (2)
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Muddy Creek
Description:The name Muddy, when given to a stream, testifies as to the character of the waters of the creek. (ATLAS DAVIESS, 1876; ATLAS DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303; John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Munkers School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Myrtle Tree School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New Conception
Description:Now called Clyde (q.v.). The name was derived from that of a neighboring town, called Conception (q.v.). (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 290; Eaton, p. 336)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New Guilford
Description:When the Chicago, Great Western Railroad extended its lines through Washington Township, New Guilford was platted, in 1887, by Quintin Wilson. Since most of the business of Guilford (q.v.), or Old Guilford, moved to the railroad the name was also taken over. The older town is now almost deserted and the new is called Guilford. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 322)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway Branch
Description:Evidently named for the Nodaway River (q.v.). (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 263)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway County
Description:Organized in 1845 and named from the principal river, which crosses it near the western boundary. (Eaton, p. 336, 198; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 85; Session Laws, 1840, p. 32-33)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway River
Description:Nodaway is an Indian name which has many meanings. A simple explanation of the word is that it signifies "placid" or "placid water." Others hold that the word means "snakes," and figuratively "aliens" or "enemies." Mr. Allen Read, in his study of Iowa place names gives the following explanation of the name of a town called Nodaway, and the river from Andres Historical Atlas (p. 420). "There was an Indian interpreter in that vicinity in the early days who the other Indians called "Not-a-way." Dr. Luther Bent, who had a contract to supply beef to them asked the Indian the reason for it, and he replied that it was because he was like a rattlesnake, vindictive, revengeful and cunning. The stream for which this town was named also had the same source for its name be said, because in the early days its borders had been infested with rattlesnakes." Mr. Read quotes from A.R. Fulton's RED MEN OF IOWA (p. 488) to show how the name Nodaway links up with Nishnebotna: "When the Indians came to the Nodaway, they found it narrow and shallow enough that they called it "Crossed-without-a-canoe" or Nodaway. For the Nishnebotna they found the opposite and said, "crossed-with-a-canoe." (Eaton, p. 198, 336 Ibid. HIST. OF NOD., p. 85; Read, W.A., p. 43-4 Ibid, Gannett, p. 225; Ibid Thwaites, Vol. 14, p. 37; Read, Allen W., p. 52)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway Township
Description:Although the Nodaway River crosses only three counties of northwest Missouri, townships in five counties were named for it. Andrew organized a Nodaway Township in 1846; Buchanan, in 1839; Clinton, in 1838; Holt, in 1841; and Nodaway in 1871. In Buchanan County, the name is no longer in existence. Nodaway Township, Clinton County, was organized before the county was reduced to its present limits. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 104; HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:North Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:North Prairie School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Old Conception
Description:See Conception and Conception Junction.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Old Guilford
Description:See New Guilford and Guilford.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Olwell School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:One Hundred and Two River
Description:The name of this river is a disputed point. One authority asserts that it was 102 miles in length. Another, that it was named when surveyors were locating a military road and upon reaching the river, they found the distance was 102 miles from Fort Levenworth. (HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 21; HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 40)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Orrsburg
Description:Established in 1881 and named for a citizen of the community, Fred A. Orr. (C. Gooden; Mo. Gaz., 1893, p. 765)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Parnell
Description:Established in 1886-1887 and named by Mr. Nathaniel Sisson for the "great Irish Statesman, Chas. Stewart Parnell," whom he greatly admired. (N. Sisson (letter) )
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Peace and Harmony School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pickering
Description:Platted in 1871 and named by Dr. Josiah Coleman, in honor of Pickering Clark, a railroad official. There is a tradition that the town was christened when the first train of cars reached the plot. (Eaton, p. 336; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 312; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, pp. 316-318)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pioneer School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Platte Valley School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Polk Township
Description:Three townships were organized in 1845, in Atchison, DeKalb and Nodaway Counties. At that time James K. Polk was President of the United States. (HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 628; 848; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, pp. 308- 12)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Possum Walk
Description:A sobriquet; an assumed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Flower School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Park
Description:Before Barnard was laid out in 1870, there was a hamlet one mile south, called Prairie Park. Like Prairie City the name perhaps indicated the location. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 357)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prather Creek
Description:Named for Colonel Prather, who located on the banks of the stream, in the White Cloud settlement. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 60)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Quithan
Description:First named Russellville, in 1881. Later the name was changed, honoring General John A. Quitman, once Governor of Mississippi and an officer in the Mexican War. (Gannett, p. 256; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 260; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 170; Eaton, p. 336)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ravenwood
Description:Organized in 1887 when the Chicago, Great Western Railroad was built through Jackson Township. It was named for the owner of the town site. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 284; N. Sisson (letter) )
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Reindeer
Description:A country post office in existence in 1867. (Postal Guide, 1867, p. 214; Hayward's Gaz., p. 825)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rockford School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Roseberry
Description:In 1879 the Western Improvement Company platted the town and named it in honor of Matthew Roseberry, who was influential in establishing it. With the founding of Burlington Junction, Roseberry declined and is now defunct. (C. Gooden; Conard, vol. 5, p. 400; PAST & PRESENT, vol. 1, p. 307)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Royster School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Russellville
Description:When Quitman (q.v.) was platted in 1881 it was called Russellville, for R.R. Russell who laid off the town. (N. Sisson (letter); PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 260; Eaton, p. 336; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 170)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Salem School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sand Creek
Description:Evidently a descriptive name. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 30)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Scudder School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shell Grove School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Singery School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sinking Creek
Description:Evidently named from the fact that "it disappears beneath the ground for about a mile, when it appears again and flows on into a shallow lake..." (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 151)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Skidmore
Description:In 1880 Martney Skidmore laid off a town site on his land and gave the Nodaway Valley Railroad Company twenty acres of land to locate a station in the town. The town was named for its founder. Formerly the locality in which it was located was known as Union Valley (q.v.). (N. Sisson (letter); PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 300; Eaton, p. 337)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Skidmore School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Snowball School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:St. Elmo
Description:See Elmo
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:St. Mary's School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sunrise School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Swallow School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sweet Home
Description:Before Ravenwood was established a settlement in that vicinity had been known as Sweet Home. It was named for the Sweet Home Farm on which the hamlet was located in 1865. The town is defunct, but the name still exists for the neighborhood. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 282; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 223)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Swinford School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tarpley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Trego School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:Turkey Creek, in both Caldwell and Nodaway Counties, is said to have been named by hunters of wild turkeys along its banks. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 635; SOME PIONEER HIST., PAST & PRESENT, vol. 1, p. 319)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union Chapel School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union Township
Description:Union Township, Daviess County, was first a part of Honey Creek and Jackson Townships. Then it became known as Gallatin but in 1869 it was given the name Union and the last name prevailed. An atlas of Harrison County, published in 1876, gives the following testimony as to the naming of Union Township in that county: The people of Harrison County were nearly unanimous for the Union, when the war came in 1861." Worth County, like Harrison, was strongly Republican, especially in Union Township. From the name, and from the date in which it was formed, 1861, there is little doubt but that it was named because of its stand in the war of Rebellion. In Nodaway County, Union Township was organized in 1856. The origin of the name here is uncertain, for incidents of the formation of the township may have influenced the choice. (PAST & PRESENT, vol. 1, p. 314-5; R.H. Dunn; ATLAS HARRISON, 1876; HIST. DAVIESS, p. 439; ATLAS DAVIESS, 1876, p. 12; John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union Valley
Description:A country post office, now defunct. Since the date of the naming of this locality is not recorded, no explanation of its origin can be given. (Mo. Gaz., 1893, p. 1262)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Unity School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Valentine
Description:The town of Bedison (q.v.) has been known as Calla Station (q.v.) and Valentine. Valentine was given in honor of a local citizen. (N. Sisson (letter); Mo. Gaz., 1883, p. 1234)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Washington School (2)
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Waterloo Branch
Description:A tributary of Nodaway River. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 258)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Whig Valley
Description:Theodore Higley, the first settler in Whig Valley, Holt County, gave the locality the name of that party which he most admired, -- the followers of Henry Clay. The majority of its settlers came from Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. A town was laid out and called Maitland. A settlement of "old line Whigs" in Nodaway County gave the name Whig Valley to a locality in which Fairview (q.v.) was afterwards established. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 1318; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 116; HIST. HOLT, p. 195; Conard, vol. 3, p. 280; Campbell, p. 235; PAST & PRESENT, vol. 1, p. 260)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White Cloud
Description:A stream was named for the White Cloud tribe of Indians. A country post office located on the stream adopted the same name. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 85; C. Gooden; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, pp. 323-325; Mo. Gaz., 1898, p. 1318)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White Cloud School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White Cloud Township
Description:Named for the White Cloud Creek, and organized in 1845. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, pp. 323-325)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White Lily School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Whiteford School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wilcox
Description:Named for B.S. Wilcox, owner of the town site, whose home was in Ohio. Wilcox was located in 1879. (PAST and PRESENT), Vol. 1, p. 307; Eaton, p. 337)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wilcox School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wilson's Creek
Description:Perhaps named for an early settler, J.M. Wilson. (HIST. NODAWAY, p. 167; 173)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wolf Hollow Branch
Description:Such names serve as an index to the wild animals seen by the pioneers. (PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 267)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Xenia
Description:Xenia, now deserted, was named from the Greek, signifying "friendly hospitality." Perhaps the name was borrowed from Xenia, Ohio. One of the first post offices established in the county was located at Xenia, in 1845. (Gannett, p. 331; C. Gooden; N. Sisson (letter); HIST. NODAWAY, p. 174)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Xenia School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names