Montgomery County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Alfonzo Creek
Description:See Fonso Creek
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Americus
Description:A village in northwest Loutre Township, on Dry Fork, laid out in 1869. First settled by Ambrose Bush and W.F. Wilson, who in 1865 erected a steam mill here. The post office established here was first called Dry Fork Mills, from the mills located on Dry Fork (q.v.). Citizens later requested a change of name. Americus, for Americus Vespucius, was suggested by Joseph Barton, owner of part of the land. Named Americus P.O. on atlas 1878. Eaton errs in stating it was named from a town in Georgia. (Eaton, 332. HIST. MONTGOMERY, 757; Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Appling School
Description:In Upper Loutre Township. Named for a family of the district. (Mrs. Nannie Noell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arnold Cave Branch
Description:See Cave Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bakers' Mill
Description:In southwest Danville Township, on the east bank of Loutre River, a water mill built about 1840-1844 and operated by Sylvester and Captain John Baker, for whom it was named. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 766-7; Miss Kate Baker, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ball School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named for a prominent farmer of the district, Hampton Ball, on whose land it is located. (Dr. E.A. Ball, Mrs. James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Baughman Cave
Description:In Danville Township, a shelf rock that was boxed in and used for forty years by a French hermit known as Major Baughman. He spent most of his time digging through solid rock with the wild hope of finding gold. He was often referred to as Cave Baughman; the cave, as Hermit's Cave. (Everett Barton, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Creek [1 of 2]
Description:Rises in Warren County, flowing through Bear Creek Township, into West Fork of Cuivre River in Lincoln County. Named for the bear. To distinguish this from Bear Creek in the southern part of the county, it is often referred to as North Bear Creek. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Creek [2 of 2]
Description:Rises in Warren County, joining Loutre River in southern Montgomery Township, Montgomery County. See above. There is a tradition that Daniel Boone killed one or more bears here. (M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Creek Township
Description:In the southeastern part of the county. Organized in 1818 and named from Bear Creek (q.v.), which drains it. (History Northeast Missouri, 493; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beersheba
Description:A post office in northeast Bear Creek Township, established in 1888 and discontinued in 1893. A Bible name (Gen. 21:31), selected by Alexander Mudd, postmaster and enthusiastic Bible student. The name means "well of the oath." (Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Belleville
Description:A discontinued post office and store in eastern Bear Creek Township, on Little Bear Creek. Established by a Mr. Hoss and named for his oldest daughter, Belle. Known also as Half-Way House, from its location midway on the Truxton-Jonesburg mail route. Named Belleville P. O. on Montgomery Atlas 1878 and 1897. Eaton erroneously states it was named for Belleville, Illinois. (Postal Guide, 1876-1900; Norman L. Bowlby, Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bellflower
Description:A village in northern Bear Creek Township. Laid out by John W. Schowengerdt, owner of the site, and named by him for the small pink flowers (bell flowers), which grew there profusely. Eaton erroneously states it was named for a variety of apple. (Eaton, 332, Postal Guide, 1888 ff.; Mrs. Lizzie Mabry, George Schowengerdt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Best Bottom School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named from Best's Bottom (p.o.), (q.v.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Best's Bottom
Description:A discontinued post office in south-central Loutre Township, on the Missouri River on bottom land where John Best, Kentuckian, located in 1808 and built a fort. Later the boat landing here was named Kallmeyer's Landing, for Garrett Kallmeyer, owner, and also proprietor of a store here. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 754, Postal Guide, 1876-1895; Mrs. James F. Ball, Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethany Baptist Church
Description:In west Loutre Township, north of Bluffton. Organized in 1870. A Bible name (Mat. 21:17) meaning "house of unripe dates." In this village Jesus often visited in the home of friends. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 758; T.L. Cardwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethel Methodist Church
Description:In west Montgomery Township. Organized sometime before 1840. See above. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 816; T.L. Cardwell, R.E. McQuie)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethesda Presbyterian Church
Description:In southwest Loutre Township at Best's Bottom, moved later to Hugo and now defunct. A Bible name meaning "house of mercy," a pool in Jerusalem (John 5:2). (Montgomery Atlas 1878; Mrs. James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethlehem
Description:A post office in northwest Loutre Township, established in 1886, discontinued in 1902. Named from Bethlehem Methodist Church (q.v.), about one mile distant. Named Bethlehem Post Office on Montgomery Atlas 1878. (James F. Ball, B. Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethlehem Methodist Church
Description:See Trinity Methodist Church.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Spring [1 of 2]
Description:A medicinal spring in northeast Loutre Township, one of the largest in the county. (Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Spring [2 of 2]
Description:A village and discontinued post office in northeast Loutre Township. Named from the Big Spring (q.v.), a short distance southwest, where the post office was originally located. Big Spring Post Office on Montgomery Atlas 1878, Bigspring Post Office on Montgomery Atlas 1897, Bigspring in Postal Guide 1897-1904, Big Springs on Montgomery Atlas 1918. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 758; Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blades School
Description:See Prairie Fork School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bluffton
Description:A village in southwest Loutre Township, on the Missouri River, settled in 1844 and laid out by Samuel Miller in 1866. Named for its location along the limestone bluffs overlooking the river. Originally called Stringtown, because the first houses were strung out along the valley between the river and bluffs. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 757; Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boone's Lick Road
Description:The trail followed by western emigrants across the state of Missouri. Named from the salt works at the end of the road, in Howard County, operated by Daniel and Nathan Boone, sons of the famous pioneer. (History N.E. Missouri, 76-7)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bowlin's Knob
Description:In southern Loutre Township. Named for Laney Bowlin, pioneer who lived near it. This is said to be the highest point in the county. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 751; Mrs. James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brick School
Description:See Milligan School
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bridge School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named from its location near one of the first bridges in the county, across Loutre River. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:Rises in Bear Creek Township, crossing Prairie Township into Lincoln County. See above. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek Presbyterian Church
Description:In southeastern Prairie Township, five miles northeast of Bellflower. Organized in 1848 and named from its location on Brush Creek (q.v.). (Synod of Missouri, 67; T.L. Cardwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buell
Description:A post office and settlement in northeast Montgomery Township. Laid out in July, 1903, by Henry D. Scott, and named for Buell Hensley, prominent stock buyer, who suggested the place be named for him. (County Plat no. 3; W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Calhoun Hollow
Description:In Danville Township, a short stream which rises in a ravine and flows into Clear Creek. Named for the former owner of the land, John Calhoun, a distant relative of the nationally known statesman, John Calhoun. (James F. Ball, B. Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Callaway's Grave
Description:In Danville Township, near the junction of Prairie Fork with Loutre River. In this vicinity Captain James Callaway was killed by Indians on March 7, 1815, while crossing Loutre River. At the same time several of his comrades were killed and badly mutilated by the Indians. (James F. Ball, B. Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Camp Creek
Description:In southeastern Bear Creek Township, flowing into Warren County. So named becaue many west-bound immigrants following the Boone's Lick Road camped on its bank. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 712; Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carroll's Mill
Description:A water mill in north Loutre Township, near Big Spring. Built and operated by Charles Carroll. (B. Graham, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cave Arnold Branch
Description:See Cave Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cave Branch
Description:In Danville Township, a small tributary of Smith's Branch. Named for a pioneer settler here. Also known as Cave Arnold Branch on 1918 Atlas or Arnold Cave Branch on 1878 Atlas. So called from the combination of the names of Cave and another settler here, William Arnold. (Atlas 1897; Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Central Grove School
Description:In Prairie Township. The name evidently indicates its location, although no grove is there now. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clear Branch
Description:See Clear Creek
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clear Creek
Description:Rises in Danville Township and flows into Loutre River. Named from its clear water, because of a gravel bed. Clear Branch on 1878 atlas. (Montgomery Atlas 1897; Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clear Fork
Description:Heads in south Montgomery Township, joining Smith's Branch in northern Danville Township. A descriptive name. (Atlas 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coal Creek
Description:In southern Montgomery Township, a small branch of Clear Fork. Named from the coal deposits in the vicinity. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cobbtown
Description:An early settlement in southwest Montgomery Township, made as early as 1823 by Samuel Cobb, Sr., and his three sons, Samuel Jr., Adam, and Philip, and later by relatives of the Cobbs. Hence the name. (Charles Reed, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cole Creek
Description:In west Loutre Township, a branch of Prairie Fork. Named for an early settler. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; J.C. Niedergerke, Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Confusion
Description:A post office established in 1891 and discontinued in 1893. The name was chosen in desperation by James Ball after a long list of suggestions had been returned to him by the postal department because none were distinctive. (James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Conley School
Description:In Danville Township. Named for the family on whose land it was located. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Contention School
Description:In Montgomery Township. So named because there was so much controversy over the location of the building. An effort was made to change the name to Prairie View, from the location. But the former name has persisted. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coon Creek
Description:Rises in Upper Loutre Township, emptying into West Cuivre Township in Prairie Township. Named for the many coons found here. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; James F. Ball, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crab Apple School
Description:In Danville Township. Named from the many crab apple trees in the vicinity. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crooked Creek
Description:Rises in Prairie Township, flowing into West Fork of Cuivre River. So named because of its very winding course. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cross Roads School
Description:In Prairie Township. Located at an early day at cross roads, then very scarce. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crutcher Creek
Description:In the exteme north-central part of Prairie Township, a branch of West Fork of Cuivre River. Named for an early settler. (Montgomery Atlas 1918; Everett Barton, Norman L. Bowlby)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cuivre Creek
Description:A small stream in southeastern Audrain County, crossing into Prairie Township, Montgomery County, where it joins West Fork of Cuivre River (q.v.), from which it gets its name. Spelt Cuiver on AUDRAIN ATLAS, 1877. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Danville
Description:A village in north-central Danville Township, founded by Judge Olly Williams in 1834 and made the county seat the same year because of its central location. Named by Colonel Chales Harper, prominent in county affairs, for his old home, Danville, Virginia. (Conard II, 224; Miss Elsie Baker, Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Danville Township
Description:One of the central west townships, named from the town (q.v.), one of the oldest in the county. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 670; Miss Elsie Baker)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Davis Branch
Description:In Danville Township, a branch of Massey Branch of Loutre River. Named for two pioneer families who settled here - Boone Davis and Daniel Davis. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; Edgar Scanland, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:DeVault School
Description:In Danville Township. Named for Peter DeVault, on whose land it was located. (T.L. Cardwell, H.H. DeVault)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Devil's Backbone
Description:A hilly, rocky road in Loutre Township, west of Big Spring. The name appropriately describes the surface. (Mr. James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dillon School
Description:In Prairie Township. Located on land once owned by W.H. Dillon, prominent farmer and politician. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dishwater Branch
Description:In Danville Township, a small branch of Loutre River. An old colored woman at an early day washed her dishes in the stream; hence the name. (B. Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dry Fork
Description:In Loutre Township, a tributary of Loutre River. So named because in dry weather the water sinks through the gravel, making the creek dry. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dry Fork Mills
Description:See Americus
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dryden and Sharp's Store
Description:In southern Bear Creek Township. Built in 1853 and operated by F.H. Dryden and Benjamin Sharp and named for them. A post office, now at High Hill, was located here for a short time. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; A.B. Dryden, Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dryden's Mill
Description:In northeast Danville Township, two miles west of New Florence, an old horse mill built by Thomas Dryden, who came from Virginia in 1828 or 1830 and for whom the mill was named. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 710; A.B. Dryden, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:East Branch of Brush Creek
Description:In Bear Creek Township, a fork of Brush Creek (q.v.). The name is descriptive of the location. (Atlas 1897)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ebenezer Baptist Church
Description:In Bear Creek Township. A Bible name, the stone which Samuel set up between Mizpeh and Shen to commemorate a place where he had received help from God (I Sam. 7:12). The name means "stone of help." (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ebenezer School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named from Ebenezer Baptist Church (q.v.). (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eckler School
Description:In Upper Loutre Township. Named for a family in the district. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Egbert
Description:A post office in southwest Loutre Township, established in 1901 and discontinued in 1904. Named for Egbert Gregory, at whose residence it was located. (Rand McNally Atlas; Claud Gregory, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk Horn
Description:A discontinued post office in Prairie Township. Named for the creek on which it was located. (St. Louis Gaz., 75; W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elkhorn Baptist Church
Description:In Montgomery Township, on Elkhorn Creek (q.v.), whence its name. (R.E. McQuie)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elkhorn Creek
Description:Rises in Danville Township and flows into Cuivre River in Prairie Township. So named because it is more cooked than an elk's horn. Elk Horn on 1878 atlas. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Erbslow and Monnig's Mill
Description:One of the old mills of the county, in Loutre Township. Built by a Mr. Erbslow and partly financed by Hugo Monnig; later operated only by Mr. Monnig. (Mrs. James F. Ball, S.E. Miller)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Excelsior School
Description:In Montgomery Township. See above. Changed to Buell when a post office was established here. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview School [1 of 2]
Description:In Bear Creek Township. A descriptive name.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview School [2 of 2]
Description:In Loutre Township. Named from its location on high prairie land. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flint Point
Description:A discontinued post office in Montgomery Township, southwest of Wellsville. The name may be a descriptive one, for the soil and landscape are exceedingly rocky and rugged; cf. Whetstone Creek in the vicinity. (St. Louis Gaz. 1860, 85; Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Florence
Description:See New Florence
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fonso Creek
Description:Rises in Callaway County, and flows into Loutre River in southwest Danville Township. Named for Alfonso (Fonso for short) Boone, grandson of Daniel Boone and settler here. Named (misspelt) Alfonzo on 1878 atlas. (Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fort Clemson
Description:In Loutre Township, on Loutre Island, built in February, 1812, by United States soldiers under the command of Captain Clemson, for whom it was named. (History of Montgomery County, 543, Stevens I, 484)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Freedom School
Description:In Loutre Township. An ideal name.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gamma
Description:A post office in southeast Prairie Township, established in 1886 and discontinued in 1918. The origin of the name could not be determined.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Graham Cave
Description:See Saltpeter Cave
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Green Hill
Description:See Jonesburg
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Half-way House
Description:See Belleville
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hancock Prairie
Description:In northwest Loutre Township; prairie land named for an old settler here. (J.C. Niedergerke)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harper School
Description:In Montgomery Township. Named for Charles Harper, on whose land it was located. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harris School
Description:In Upper Loutre Township. Named for a fomer resident of the district. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hart School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named for a family in the district, on whose land the school was located. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hazel Dell School
Description:In Prairie Township. Located in a valley where much hazel brush grows; hence its name.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hermit's Cave
Description:See Baughman's Cave (Montgomery Atlas 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Wood School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named from the hickory groves that once were in the vicinity. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:High Hill
Description:A town in southwest Bear Creek Township, settled in 1852 by John S. Rowe, Hance Miller and William Hoss, who built a dwelling house and a mill here. Named from the High Hill post office which was moved from the present site of Jonesburg in 1853, the old location being on one of the highest points between Kansas City and St. Louis, though not a hill. (Norman L. Bowlby, Dr. David Nowlin, Miss Katie A. Rosenberg, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Honey Locust School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named from a grove of honey locust trees still in the school yard. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hopewell Baptist Church
Description:In Montgomery Township, near Montgomery City. An ideal name. (MISSOURI BAP. BULL., 215; T.L. Cardwell, R.E. McQue)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hopewell School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named from Hopewell Baptist Church (q.v.). (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Horeb Presbyterian Church
Description:In northeast Prairie Township, one mile south of Marling. Organized in 1894. A Bible name. (cf. Mt. Horeb). (Synod of Missouri, 68; T.L. Cardwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hugo
Description:A post office in southeast Danville Township, established in 1890, discontinued in 1904, Marion Lawrence being its only postmaster. The origin of the name is not known. Hugo Post Office on 1897 atlas. The pronunication _____, doubtless earlier, suggests a German source. (Mrs. James F. Ball, Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hugo Methodist Church
Description:In southeast Danville Township, about a mile from Hugo post office (q.v.), whence its name. (T.L. Cardwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hugo School
Description:In Danville Township. Named from the post office (q.v.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jones Branch
Description:In Prairie Township, a small branch of West Fork of Cuivre River. Named for a pioneer family who lived here. (Montgomery Atlas 1897; James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jones Landing
Description:In Loutre Township. One of the earlier Missouri River landings, named for the owner, W.P.H. Jones. (Mrs. James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jonesburg
Description:A town in southeast Bear Creek Township, laid out in 1858 and named for James Jones, an early settler from North Carolina and Virginia, who located here in 1828. A post office established here before the town was laid out was named Green Hill, descriptive of its location. (See High Hill). A still earlier post office, named High Hill, had been moved to the new location of High Hill. Spelled Jonesboro by Thwaites, XXII, 282n. (Atlas 1878, Eaton, 332; Mrs. J.D. Everett; History of St. Charles, Montgomery and Warren Counties, Missouri (1885), p. 711-712, 719-720)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kallmeyer's Landing
Description:See Best's Bottom
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kate's Branch
Description:In northwest Danville Township, a small tributary of Smith's Branch. This was no doubt named for a woman who lived in the vicinity. (J.F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kendrick School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named for Captain Kendrick of the Civil War, a farmer in the district. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:King's Mills
Description:In eastern Bear Creek Township, a water mill operated by Isaac King, for whom it was named. (Hayward, 825; Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Knox School
Description:In Danville Township. Named for Bud Knox of the district. Formerly known as Poor House School because the county poor house was located nearby. (T.L. Cardwell, Benjamin Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Laclede School
Description:In Montgomery Township. Named for a family near whose home the school was located. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Leach Branch
Description:In Loutre Township, a branch of Dry Fork. Named for a pioneer settler here. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; J.C. Niedergerke, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lead Creek
Description:Rises in the southern part of Hartford Township., flowing into Montgomery County, hence into Lincoln County. In early pioneer days Indians are thought to have discovered and secretly operated a lead mine in the vicinity. One old man tells the story of having accidentally come upon the mine while trailing a wounded deer. Because it showed indications of recent operation, he left the spot, fearing an attack by Indians. Years afterward he tried to locate the mine but could not. In the HISTORY OF PIKE COUNTY (p. 876) the creek is misnamed Head Creek. (PIKE ATLAS 1875; J.B. Parsons, P.L. Sharp)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lead Creek
Description:See Marling
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lewiston
Description:A village now extinct, in southwest Bear Creek Township, near the present site of High Hill. Founded in 1825 and made the second county seat of Montgomery County from 1826 until it was moved to Danville in 1834. It was evidently named for General Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis-Clark expedition, whose route westward in the early nineteenth century brought them fame. (Conard IV, 40; Miss Katie A. Rosenberger)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty Baptist Church
Description:In northeast Loutre Township. Organized in 1858. An ideal name. (T.L. Cardwell, R.E. McQuie)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named from Liberty Baptist Church (q.v.). (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick Branch
Description:In southwest Montgomery Township, a branch of Loutre River. Named from a large buffalo lick nearby, the size of half a block and three or four feet deep. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liege
Description:A post office in Bear Creek Township, established in 1918 and named for Liege, Belgium, of World War Prominence. The village is also known as Bellflower, from the older adjoining town by the same name (only the railroad separating them). Because of the similarity of names, a change to Liege was made. New Bellflower was laid out in July, 1903, by Henry Scott on land donated to him by John W. Schowengerdt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lincoln School
Description:In Prairie Township. Evidently named for the President. (W.F. Hupe, Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Bear Creek [1 of 2]
Description:Rises in south Bear Creek Township, flowing into Bear Creek (q.v.), of which it is the smaller fork. (Montgomery Atlas 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Bear Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A small branch of Bear Creek (q.v.), in northeast Loutre Township.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Coon Creek
Description:In Upper Loutre Township, a small branch of Coon Creek (q.v.). (Montgomery Atlas 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Elkhorn Creek
Description:In Montgomery Township, a branch of Elkhorn Creek (q.v.). (Montgomery Atlas 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Loutre
Description:A discontinued post office in west Montgomery Township on Little Loutre River (q.v.), whence its name. The post office, in a store operated by W.R. Harris, was discontinued about the time of the Civil War. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; Dave Harper (colored), Lee Oliver)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Loutre Creek
Description:A fork of Loutre Creek (q.v.), in southeastern Loutre Township, Audrain County, and Loutre, Montgomery, and Danville Townships, Montgomery County. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Loutre River
Description:A branch of Loutre River (q.v.), in western Montgomery Township.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Wolf Branch
Description:In Montgomery Township, a branch of Wolf Creek (q.v.). (Montgomery Atlas 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lizenbury Branch
Description:Rises in Callaway County, joining Cole Creek in southwest Danville Township. Named for a pioneer settler. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; W.F. Hupe, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Locust Grove School
Description:In Montgomery Township. Named from a large grove of locust trees once there. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Logan School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named for a family in the district, on whose land the school was located. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:In Prairie Township, a tributary of Elkhorn Creek. Named for an early settler. The 1897 Atlas names a part of the creek at its head Pugh Branch, for an early pioneer who located here. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lost Creek
Description:A branch of Cuivre Creek, in Cuivre Township. It is so crooked it almost loses itself; hence, its name. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; E.A. Shannon)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lost Knob
Description:A high elevation in northwest Danville Township, on Smith's Branch. It is surrounded entirely by level land, hence lost from other hills. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre
Description:A post office in southern Danville Township; established for only a short time. Named from its location on Loutre River (q.v.). (Postal Guide, 1904; B. Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Baptist Church
Description:In northwestern Danville Township, northwest of Danville, now defunct. Named from its location near Loutre River (q.v.). (T.L. Cardwell, W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Branch
Description:Rises in Audrain County, flowing into Little Loutre River in southern Upper Loutre Township, Montgomery County, thence into Loutre River (q.v.). Misspelt Luter on AUDRAIN ATLAS 1877. (Beck, 289)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Creek
Description:Heads in Loutre Township, Audrain County, joining Loutre River (q.v.) in Montgomery County.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Island [1 of 2]
Description:In southeastern Loutre Township; the first settlement of the county, dating back probably to 1798 and begun by Hale and Christopher Talbot. The post office here was moved to McKittrick in 1895. Named from its location on Loutre Island (q.v.). (Mrs. James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Island [2 of 2]
Description:In the Missouri River at the mouth of Loutre River, about a mile above Hermann. The English translation Otter Island was also used in earlier times. Named from the river (q.v.). First settled in 1809 by an English emigrant named Hale Talbott. Not far from this place occurred the Indian ambuscade wherein Captain James Callaway, grandson of Daniel Boone, was slain in 1815. (Thwaites, E.W.T., V. 47; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Lick
Description:One of the earliest settlements of the county, settled between 1808 and 1810 and so named because of its location near a salt lick on Loutre River (q.v.). Also known as Van Bibber's Lick, for Major Isaac Van Bibber, who migrated to Missouri in 1800 from Kentucky. Here he erected a hotel, some cabins, and stables. He tried unsuccessfully to operate a salt mill. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 788; Thwaites, XV, 175n; Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Lick Springs
Description:Medicinal springs in west-central Danville Township, named from the Loutre Lick settlement (q.v.). Known later as Mineola Springs, for the Mineola settlement (q.v.) on this same site. (Everett Barton, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Prairie
Description:An expanse of prairie land named from Loutre River (q.v.), which drains it. This is a small section of what is known as the Grand Prairie. (Thwaites XIV, 132-3; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre River
Description:Begins in western Montgomery Township, with the junction of several forks, and empties into the Missouri River in Loutre Township. A partial anglicization of the original French name Riviere a la Loutre which means "river of the otter" (French loutre, otter). Coues mentions as other forms in use Louter, Luter, and Otter River. Doubtless named from the many otters found at the mouth of the stream, especially in what is known as Loutre Slough. (Coues, II, 366, HIST. MONTGOMERY, 752; Mrs. James F. Ball, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Slough
Description:Two forks forming the old mouth of Loutre River, now dry except in time of high water. An artificial drainage ditch, now the mouth of the river, divides Loutre Island, formed by the slough, into two parts. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; James F. Ball, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Township
Description:In the southwest corner of the county, organized in 1818 and named from Loutre River (q.v.), which flows through it, emptying into the Missouri River. (History Northeast Missouri 493)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Valley Baptist Church
Description:In southwest Danville Township. Organized in 1876 and located on Loutre River (q.v.), whence its name. (Mo. Bap. Bull. 215; T.L. Cardwell, W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Valley School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named from its former location on the valley of Loutre River (q.v.). It is now situated on a hill. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Macedonia Baptist Church
Description:In eastern Prairie Township, on West Fork of Cuivre Township. Organized about 1880. A Bible name (Acts, 16:9), the part of Europe to receive Christianity first. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 682; T.L. Cardwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:In Prairie Township. The name is descriptive of its location. Known locally as Possum Trot School, for the many possums found there. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marling
Description:A hamlet and post office in Prairie Township. Named for Judge Samuel Marling, on whose land it was located. Formerly Lead Creek, from its location on Lead Creek (q.v.). Marling Post Office on Atlas 1897, 1918. (Postal Guide 1895 f.; James F. Ball, Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Massey Branch
Description:In northwest Danville Township, a branch of Loutre River. Evidently named for an early settler, since some of the first pioneers in the county were Thomas Massey and his family, who settled in the vicinity in 1809. Misspelt Massery on 1878 atlas. (Atlas 1878, HIST. MONTGOMERY, 543)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McHoney Branch
Description:Rises in Upper Loutre Township, flowing into Little Loutre River in Montgomery Township. Named for Andrew McHoney, pioneer settler on the bank. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McIntosh Branch
Description:In southwest Montgomery Township. Named for an early settler here. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; Edgar Scanland, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McKittrick
Description:A village in southeast Loutre Township, begun in 1895 when the M.K. and T. Railroad was built through here. Named for McKittrick of the Hargadine-McKittrick Dry Goods Company of St. Louis, also a promoter of the Railway Exchange Building and the M.K. and T. Railroad. (James F. Ball, B. Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Meadow Lark School
Description:In Montgomery Township. Named for the bird, numbers of which are still found in the vicinity. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Middletown
Description:A town in northwest Prairie Township, founded in 1834. Named from its position at the intersection of north-south and east-west roads and in a central location in a good farming country. (James F. Ball, B. Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mill Branch
Description:Rises in south Danville Township, flowing into Loutre River in north Loutre Township. Named from Carroll's Mill (q.v.), located at its mouth. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Milligan Branch
Description:Rises in Bear Creek Township, flowing into Brush Creek in south Prairie Township. Named for Elihu Milligan, pioneer settler. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; George Millihan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Milligan School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named from its location near Milligan Creek (q.v.). Formerly called Brick School, because the former building was made of brick. (Mrs. Lizzie Mabry)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mineola
Description:In central- west Danville Township. Laid out in 1879 by Harvey E. Scanland, owner of the site, and named Mineola, an Indian name meaning "healing water." Later someone suggested the spelling Minneloa would make the name in honor of Minnie Scanland, daughter of the founder, and Ola Gregory, a friend. Efforts to change the spelling, however, were unsuccessful. Located on the site of the abandoned Loutre Lick settlement. Eaton erroneously states it was named for Mineola, Texas. (Eaton, 333; Everett Barton, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mineola Springs
Description:See Loutre Lick Springs.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Montgomery
Description:See Montgomery City.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Montgomery City
Description:In south-central Montgomery Township. Laid off by Benjamin P. Curd in 1853 and named from the county (q.v.). Made the county seat in 1889 after much opposition from residents in the southern part of the county. The name of the railroad station has been shortened to Montgomery. (Eaton, 333; James F. Ball, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Montgomery County
Description:Originally a part of St. Charles County; organized December 14, 1818. The exact origin of the name remains unsettled. Three explanations have been offered. Eaton says it was named for General Richard Montgomery, a hero of the Revolutionary War, who fell at the battle of Quebec on December 31, 1775; and this explanation is supported by the authority of Colonel Switzler as reported in an article in the JEFFERSON CITY DAILY TRIBUNE. But Rose (1876), declares this derivation to be incorrect, and affirms that it was named for Montgomery County, Kentucky, because so many citizens of that county had settled here. Rose's opinion seems a plausible one, especially since General Montgomery's death lay so far in the past when the Missouri county was organized. Conard is doubtful which origin to accept, but notes that the Kentucky county was itself named for General Montgomery, a fact which would account for the theory of a like origin for the one in Missouri. Conard is followed by the HIST. ST. CHALES, MONTGOMERY & WARREN The HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, however, advances still a third explanation: that it took the middle name of General Zebulon Montgomery Pike, the citizens being disappointed because Pike County (q.v.), had already appropriated his last name, and determined in some way to honor this extensively popular explorer and military hero, who had fallen in battle a few years before in the War of 1812. This conjecture is, however, unsupported by any evidence, and Rose's explanation must be given the preference. The county as at present constituted is bounded on the north by Audrain and Pike Counties, on the east by Warren and Lincoln, on the south by Warren and the Missouri River, and on the west by Callaway and Audrain. (Bryan and Rose, 228, Conard IV, 465, Eaton, 332, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, 508, History of St. Charles, Montgomery and Warren Counties, 558, Jefferson City Daily Tribune, October 22, 1904, Laws, Terr. of Louisiana, 1818, 114-123; Mrs. J.F. Ball, W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Montgomery Township
Description:One of the central west townships and the latest formed. Organized on January 17, 1872, and named for Montgomery City (q.v.), the county seat. (HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, 493; James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Morgan School
Description:In Upper Loutre Township. Named for a family in the district. (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Morrow's Branch
Description:In northwest Loutre Township, a branch of North Branch of Dry Fork. Named for a pioneer settler, who came to this locality in 1819. (James F. Ball, Everett Barton, B. Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Carmel Methodist Church
Description:In Upper Loutre Township, now defunct. See above. (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Horeb Baptist Church
Description:In southwest Danville Township, south of Prairie Fork. A Bible name (Ex. 3:1), the mountain from which Moses viewed the promised land. (T.L. Cardwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church
Description:In southwest Bear Creek Township, north of High Hill. Organized in 1853. An ideal name. (Mo. Bap. Bull. 215; T.L. Cardwell, R.E. McQuie)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mudd School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named for Alexander Mudd of the district. In early times the school was called Yankee Point, from the many Easterners who lived in the district and who had the Yankee viewpoint. (Miss Ivalee Blue, W.F. Hupe, Foster Mudd)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Murdock Creek
Description:In Loutre Township, a branch of Loutre River. Named for a family of pioneers here. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 532; W.F. Hupe, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nettle's Ford
Description:In Danville Township, in Loutre River on the cross-state stagecoach route. Nettle was a pioneer settler here. (B. Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Neue Holle
Description:A communal settlement in Danville Township made during the latter part of the nineteenth century by twenty families of German Radicals. The name, German for "New Hell," was chosen in a spirit of defiance. The experiment lasted only a short time. (Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Bellflower
Description:See Liege
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Florence
Description:In northeast Danville Township, laid off in 1858 by Judge E.A. Lewis, who purchased the land from Mortimer McIlhaney. Originally the town was called Florence, for Judge Lewis's only daughter, later Mrs. Robert Atkison of St. Louis. Because there is a town by that name in Morgan County, the name was changed in March 1859, to New Florence by an act of the State Legislature. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; E.C. Gott)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Hope Baptist Church
Description:In northwest Montgomery Township, northwest of Montgomery City. See above. The earlier organization was known as Salem Baptist Church, the building having been destroyed by fire in 1881. A Bible name for Jerusalem (Gen. 14:18) (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 816; R.E. McQuie, Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Providence Baptist Church
Description:In southwest Montgomery Township. Organized by Jabez Ham in 1826, now defunct except for use for funerals. See above. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 815; James F. Ball, R.E. McQuie)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Providence Methodist Church
Description:In northern Bear Creek Township, on Bear Creek. Organized in 1837. See above. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 714; James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:No Man's Land
Description:A section of land triangular in shape, in northern Bear Creek Township, between Bellflower and New Bellflower. So named because for a long time it was not blocked off. (Mrs. Lizzie Mabry)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North Bear Creek
Description:See Bear Creek (Bear Creek Township).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North Branch of Dry Fork
Description:In northwest Loutre Township, a fork of Dry Creek (q.v.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Hall School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named from the material used in the building. (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oliver Branch
Description:In Montgomery Township, a small branch of McHoney Branch. Named for John Oliver, early pioneer. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Opossum Branch
Description:In southwest Prairie Township, a short branch of Elkhorn Creek. Named for the animal. Misspelt Oposum on 1897 Atlas. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Orange Blossom School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. The name probably was suggested by the numerous hedge trees there, called Osage Orange trees. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Otter Island
Description:See Loutre Island
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Owings Store
Description:In south Bear Creek Township, operated by and named for David R. Owings. Here was located for a short time High Hill post office (q.v.) after its removal from the present site of Jonesburg. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; James F. Ball, Mrs. Emma Sharp)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Patona
Description:See Peytonia
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pegram School
Description:See Verbena Dale School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Persinger's Mill
Description:An early horse mill in south Loutre Township. Named for the owner, Alexander Persinger. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 766; James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Peytonia
Description:A discontinued post office in Danville Township, James A. Dodds being its only postmaster. Misspelt Patona on the 1878 atlas. (Postal Guide, 1876; Mrs. Belle Goodwin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Peytonia School
Description:In Danville Township. Named from the post office (q.v.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pinch Branch
Description:In southern Danville Township, south of Danville. Said to have been so called "because the people who lived on it were always in a 'pinch' for something." (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 765; Benjamin Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Hall School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named from the material used in its construction. (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Knot School
Description:In Prairie Township. So named because of the many pine knots in the original building. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pinnacle Rock
Description:In southern Loutre Township, an elevation perpendicular on all sides but one, standing alone in a valley. Named from its shape. (Davis-Durrie, 403, HIST. MONTGOMERY, 751; B. Graham, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Grove Methodist Church
Description:In southwest Prairie Township, northwest of Montgomery. See above. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; T.L. Cardwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Poindexter's Hill
Description:An elevation in southern Loutre Township, three miles west of Rhineland. Named for a pioneer owner. (Mrs. James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Poor Creek
Description:Rises in Bear Creek Township, flowing into Little Bear Creek. (Montgomery Atlas 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Poor House School
Description:See Knox School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Possum Branch
Description:In north-central Loutre Township, a short branch of Loutre River. Named from the animal. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; T.C. Niedergerke)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Possum Trot School
Description:See Maple Grove School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Post Oak School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for a kind of timber which grew there. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Flower
Description:In Prairie Township. Named from its location on the edge of a prairie where many wild flowers grew. (Mrs. Lizzie Mabry)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Fork [1 of 2]
Description:A discontinued post office in west Danville Township. Named from its location near Prairie Fork (q.v.). (St. Louis Gaz., 1860, 223; Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Fork [2 of 2]
Description:Joins Loutre River in south Danville Township, Montgomery County. Rises in what is known as the Nine Mile Prairie in Callaway County. Hence its name. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; J.C. Niedergerke, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Fork School
Description:In Danville Township. Named from its location on Prairie Fork (q.v.). Also known locally as Blades School, for a pioneer family of the district. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Light School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named from its situation on a bit of open prairie just outside a section heavily timbered at the time the building was erected. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Township
Description:In the northeast corner of the county. Organized in 1818. Named from the great amount of prairie land which it contains. (History of N.E. Missouri, 493; Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie View School
Description:See Contention School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Price's Branch [1 of 2]
Description:In Bear Creek Township, flowing north into Bear Creek. Named for Lemuel Price, who with his family settled on its bank at an early date. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 712; James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Price's Branch [2 of 2]
Description:A discontinued post office and store in central Bear Creek Township, on Price's Branch (q.v.), whence its name. Until the establishment of the post office in 1854, it was known as Woollams Mill, for the owner. (Postal Guide, 1870-1904; A.B. Dryden, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Price's Branch Christian Church
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named from its location near the post office of the same name (q.v.). (Montgomery Atlas 1878; James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Price's Branch Presbyterian Church
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named from its location near the post office of the same name. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Price's Branch School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named from its post office (q.v.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prohibition
Description:In southern Prairie Township, a post office established in 1891 and discontinued in 1904; located in the home of Cortez Stuart, an ardent prohibitionist and once a candidate for state representative on the Prohibition ticket. Prohibition Post Office on 1897 atlas. (Ivalee Blue, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pugh Branch
Description:See Long Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Quick Creek
Description:In southern Loutre Township, flowing into the Missouri River. Named for Alexander Quick who came from Kentucky with his family to this location about 1809. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 753; Mrs. James F. Ball, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Quick's Landing
Description:On the Missouri River, in Loutre Township. Named for Gilbert Quick, who owned it. (Mrs. James F. Ball, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rhineland
Description:In south- central Loutre Township. Laid out in 1853 by Andrew Rincheval and named for the river of Germany. As early as 1837 German emigrants, who had located in Gasconade County, across the river, had begun to make a settlement here. Rincheval was killed by bushwhackers in 1863. The newer town on the M.K. and T. Railroad was laid out on November 1, 1892, by Louis Grotewiel. (County Plat No. 3, HIST. MONTGOMERY, 756-7; Everett Barten)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Riviere a la Loutre
Description:See Loutre River
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rogers School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named for Parker Rogers from Indiana, on whose land it was located. (Miss Ivalee Blue)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem Baptist Church
Description:See New Hope Baptist Church. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 816; Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sallee's Branch
Description:In Danville Township, a tributary of Loutre River. Named for an early settler, Van Sallee, who located at the head of the stream. Sallees Branch on 1918 atlas, Sollees on 1897 atlas. (Stevens I, 483; B. Graham, Edgar Scanland)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saltpeter Cave
Description:A large cave in southwest Loutre Township. Named because of the saltpeter found there, used by pioneers for making powder. Named also Graham Cave for the former owner, D.F. Graham; the present owner is his son, Benjamin Graham. (Everett Barton, Benjamin Graham)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sandy Creek
Description:Rises in the southeastern part of Cuivre Township, Audrain County, crossing a corner of Pike County into Prairie Township, Montgomery County where it joins West Fork Cuivre Township. Most of the bed is sandy; there are few rocks in it. The atlas of 1877 spells it Sandey, also Sanders. (L.W. Williams)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shelton School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named for Jacob Shelton, on whose land it was located. (Miss Ivalee Blue)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Simpsons Branch
Description:In western Danville Township, a small tributary of Loutre River. Named for an early settler on its banks. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smith's Branch
Description:In Montgomery and Danville Townships, a tributary of Loutre River. Named for a settler here, James Smith. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; Miss Kate Baker)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sollees Branch
Description:See Sallie's Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Bear Creek
Description:See Bear Creek (Montgomery Township)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Island
Description:An island in the Missouri River at the southwest corner of Loutre Township, near the present town of McKittrick in Montgomery County. Benjamin Cooper was the first settler on the island. Previously, in 1807, he settled in Hancock's Bottom. It is evidently a name of direction. (County Atlas 1877, 9; History of St. Charles, 959; Warrenton Banner, December 18, 1914, 1)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. Jacobus Evangelical Church
Description:In northeast Loutre Township, at the edge of the village of Big Spring. The name is German for James, one of Christ's apostles. (J.C. Niedergerke)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. James Lutheran Church
Description:In northeast Loutre Township, near Big Spring. A Bible name; one of the twelve apostles (Mat. 4:21). (T.L. Cardwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Description:In southern Loutre Township, near Rhineland. Named for the husband of Mary, the mother of Jesus (Mat. 1:19). (T.L. Cardwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. Martin's Catholic Church
Description:In southwest Loutre Township, at Starkenburg. Named for St. Martin of Tours (died about 400), missionary, and patron saint of France. He built an abbey, said to be the oldest in France. (T.L. Cardwell, S.E. Miller)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Starkenburg
Description:A post office in southern Loutre Township, established in 1889 and discontinued in 1918. Named by some of the German settlers there for their birthplace in the old country. Starkenburg is a province of Hesse. (Eaton, 333; S.E. Miller)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stockland
Description:A post office in southeast Prairie Township; it was discontinued with the location of a post office at Gamma, about a half mile distant. The origin of the name could not be determined. (Postal Guide, 1870)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stringtown
Description:See Bluffton
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugartown
Description:A rural settlement in southern Loutre Township, west of Rhineland. Named for the many sugar trees in the vicinity. (Mrs. James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sunbeam School
Description:In Danville Township. An emblematic name.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sunny Hill
Description:In Montgomery Township. Named from its location. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Swope School
Description:In Upper Loutre Township. Named for Jacob Swope, on whose land it was located. (W.F. Hupe, Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thomas School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for a family in the district. (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tiviot
Description:A post office in northeast Bear Creek Township, established shortly after 1836 in a log store operated by David Nowlin from Virginia. The name was selected by him from one of Scott's novels being a misspelling of Teviot, a river of Scotland. The Scotch name is pronounced ______. (Nicely map; Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Trinity Methodist Church
Description:In northern Loutre Township, north of Americus. Organized in 1830, now defunct, the organization having removed to Americus. See above. Originally known as Bethlehem Methodist Church when the worshipers met in a log cabin, then later in an arbor in a grove. The name was changed with the removal to a new building. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 758; S.E. Miller, Everett Barton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turkey Branch
Description:In southeast Danville Township, a small branch of Whip-poor-will Creek. See above. (J.C. Niedergerke)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turner School
Description:In Woodlawn Township. Named for Isaac N. Turner, landowner. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Two Mile Branch
Description:Rises in eastern Montgomery Township, flowing into Elkhorn Creek in southwestern Prairie Township. A short branch, though slightly more than two miles long. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; James F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Two Mile Branch Christian Church
Description:In Montgomery Township, on Two Mile Branch (q.v.), whence its name. (Mrs. James F. Ball, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Chapel Methodist Church
Description:In southwest Prairie Township. An ideal name. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; T.J. Cardwell, James K. Rodgers)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Grove School
Description:In Montgomery Township. A name emblematic and descriptive of the location. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union School
Description:In Montgomery Township. An ideal name. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Upper Loutre Township
Description:In the northwest corner of the county. Organized in 1818. The name distinguishes it from Loutre Township, in the southwest corner. A branch of Loutre River (q.v.), corsses it in the southwest. (History of N.E. Missouri, 493)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Van Bibber's Lick
Description:See Loutre Lick
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Veach Branch
Description:In northern Prairie Township, a short tributary of West Fork of Cuivre Township. Named for a pioneer settler here. (Montgomery Atlas 1878)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Verbena Dale School
Description:In Danville Township. Named from its location in a hilly country where many wild verbenas grow. Known also as Pegram School, for a family in the district. (Mrs. James F. Ball, W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church
Description:In southwest Prairie Township, six miles northeast of Buell. Organized in 1881. Named from its location in a walnut grove. (Synod of Missouri, 70; T.L. Cardwell)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Warden's Branch
Description:In central Loutre Township, a small branch of Loutre River. Named for a pioneer settler on its banks. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; J.F. Ball)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wells School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named for a prominent family of the district. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wellsville
Description:A town in central Upper Loutre Township, laid off in 1856 and named for Judge Carter Wells of Lincoln County, donor of the site. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; Mrs. Nannie Noell, Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Fork
Description:A post office in northwest Prairie Township, established as early as 1836. Named from West Fork of Cuivre River (q.v.), upon which it was located. (Wetmore, 275; Charles Wells)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Fork of Cuivre River
Description:Rises in southeastern Audrain County, crossing the corner of Pike and Montgomery Counties, into Lincoln County, where it becomes Cuivre River with its junction with North Fork. The Cuivre River (Riviere au Cuivre) was so named by the French, who were led to believe, no doubt from the Indians, that there was copper in the vicinity. One theory, advanced as a more plausible explanation because there is no copper in the region, says the correct original word was cuvre, meaning "fish pool." (COMMONWEALTH MISSOURI, 173; C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Prairie
Description:A name applied to the western part of Pike County and the northern part of Montgomery County, where the bluffs and hills of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers break into prairie land. (Mrs. T.N. Bragg)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Prairie Chapel Union Church
Description:In Prairie Township, near Middleton. Named from its location on the West Prairie (q.v.). (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Whetstone Creek
Description:Flows into Loutre River, in northwest Danville Township from Callaway County. Named from a whetstone quarry (hard sand stone), used for grinding implements. (M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Whip-poor-will Creek
Description:In southern Danville Township, a small branch of Loutre River. Many whip-poor-wills are found in the vicinity. (HIST. MONTGOMERY, 532; T.L. Cardwell, M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Creek
Description:See White Oak Creek.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Hall School
Description:In Upper Loutre Township. The building was painted white; hence, its name. (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Hollow
Description:In southern Loutre Township, a small branch of Bear Creek. Named for Tom White, an old settler. (M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Oak
Description:A post office in Upper Loutre or Prairie Township, discontinued during the Civil War. Named from its location on White Oak Creek (q.v.). (St. Louis Gaz., 1860, 479; James K. Rodgers)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Oak Creek
Description:Rises in Upper Loutre Township, joining Elkhorn Creek in northeast Montgomery Township. See above. White Creek on 1878 atlas. (M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Oak Methodist Church
Description:In Upper Loutre Township, now defunct. Named from White Oak School (q.v.). (T.L. Cardwell, James K. Rodgers)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Oak School
Description:In Upper Loutre Township. Named from White Oak Creek (q.v.), on which it is located. (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Whiteside School
Description:In Danville Township. Named from White Oak Creek (q.v.), on which it is located. (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Whiteside School [1 of 2]
Description:In Danville Township. Named for a family in the district. (Miss Ivalee Blue, W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Whiteside School [2 of 2]
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for a pioneer family in the district. (Charles Reed)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Winter's Mill
Description:In northwest Danville Township, on Whetstone Creek. Built by Sterling Winter in the early 1870s. (M.F. See)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wolf Creek
Description:In western Bear Creek and southeastern Prairie Townships, a branch of Elkhorn Creek. Named for the animal. Wolf's Creek on 1878 atlas. (Montgomery Atlas 1878; Dr. David Nowlin)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Woollam's Mill
Description:See Price's Branch (p.o.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wyatt School
Description:In Bear Creek Township. Named for a prominent family of the district. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Yankee Point School
Description:See Mudd School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Young School
Description:In Upper Loutre Township. Named for a family in the district. (W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Zion Baptist Church
Description:In northeast Bear Creek Township, near Bellflower. Organized March 15, 1841. A Bible name. See Mt. Zion. (Salt R. Association., 183; W.F. Hupe)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names