Monroe County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Acuff Branch
Description:In northeast Woodlawn Township, a branch of Otter Creek. Named for Greenville P. Acuff, a pioneer settler. (T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Adams School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named for Thomas Adams, a prominent farmer of the community. (W. R. Baskett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Afflick School
Description:In Union Township. The shool is located on land formerly owned by Charles F. and Overton M. Afflick, for whom it is named. (Deed Record; Penn Brace, S.T. Curtright)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Allen Creek
Description:In Saling Township, Audrain County, and Union Township, Monroe County, a branch of Elk Fork of Salt River. Named for Charles Allen, emigrant from Kentucky in 1831, landowner. Also known as Reese's Fork, for a pioneer settler near the head. (Campbell, 47; W.H. Carpenter, T.J. Hawkins)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Anderson School
Description:In Union Township. So named because John H. Anderson in 1869 gave the land on which it is located. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Antioch Christian Church
Description:In Jackson Township. Organized on September 16, 1876. See above. (HIST. MONROE, SHELBY, 288; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ash
Description:A village and discontinued post office (1886-1904), in Marion Township. Named for William P. Ash, the first postmaster. (Eaton, 332; Postal Guide Marr)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Austin
Description:See Goss
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Baker Branch
Description:Rises in Marion Township, flowing into Flat Creek. Named for Elisha Baker, a pioneer settler in the township. (Monroe Atlas 1917; J.W. Atterbury, Jr.)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barrens, The
Description:A section of east Monroe Township; so named because it comprises several hundred acres of land that produce little but grass because the soil is very poor. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 157; W.R. Baskett, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Branch
Description:In Marion Township, flowing into Flat Creek. Named for the bears found here in early days. (Monroe Atlas 1917; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bee Branch
Description:In Union Township, a small branch of South Fork of Elk Fork west of Bee Creek (q.v.), and named for the same reason. (Monroe Atlas 1917; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bee Creek
Description:In Union and Jackson Townships, a branch of Elk Fork of Salt River. Named from the many bee trees along its banks. Bees in pioneer days were numerous; they hived in hollow trees, in which at bee-tree cutting time hundreds of pounds of honey were found by settlers. (Monroe Atlas 1917; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethlehem Baptist Church
Description:See Middle Fork Baptist Church.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Branch
Description:In Marion Township, a branch of Middle Fork of Salt River. The name is a misnomer except as the stream is compared with smaller creeks near it. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Crooked Creek
Description:See Crooked Creek
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Indian Creek
Description:See Indian Creek
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bonsall School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for a landowner of the district. (Deed Record B; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boston
Description:A settlement, now extinct, in central Union Township, west of Middle Grove. Laid out in April, 1836, by John B. Hays. No one interviewed had any recollection of the place. Doubtless the name was borrowed directly or indirectly from Boston, Massachusetts. (Deed Record B-476)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bradley Mill
Description:One of the first mills in the county, in Jefferson Township, three miles northeast of Florida. It was built and operated by Benjamin Bradley. (Monroe County Appeal, sec. 2,6)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Branham School
Description:In Union Township. Named for Larken Branham, member of the board of trustees when the deed was made on May 7, 1852. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A fork of North Fork of Salt River. Named from the thick undergrowth along the banks. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek [2 of 2]
Description:In South Fork Township. A branch of Salt Fork of Salt River. See above. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bryan School
Description:In Jackson Township. James B. Bryan owned the land on which it was located. (Monroe County Appeal, sec. 3,4; W.R. Baskett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buckman School
Description:In Monroe Township. Named for four brothers, John, Alocious, Pius, and William A. Buckman, who owned several thousand acres of land in the vicinity. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Burbridge Creek
Description:Rises in Jefferson Township, Monroe County, joining Lick Creek in Salt River Township, Ralls County, near Perry. Named for Jesse Burbridge, who filed claim for land here in 1818. (Original Ralls Plat Book; Mrs. Jennie Alexander)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Callis School
Description:In Woodlawn Township. So named because it is located on land that belonged to Thomas Callis. (Postal Guide Marr)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Camp Creek
Description:In Jefferson Township, a branch of Salt River. Doubtless a good camping ground was located on its bank in pioneer days. (Monroe Atlas 1917; William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Capp School
Description:In Marion Township. So named because of its location on land that belonged to William Capp. (Abstract and Index of Deeds; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carter School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named for William S. Carter, landowner. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Casey College
Description:In Jefferson Township. A rural school, probably named for a local family. The term "college" was originally attached to the school in jest. (Deed Record: Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cave's Mill
Description:On North Fork, in Jefferson Township, west of Stoutsville. Named for the owner, Richard Cave. (Monroe County Appeal, sec. 3,3; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cecil
Description:A discontinued post office and country store in Jackson Township, southwest of Paris. (Postal Guide 1900-1904)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cecil School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named from the post office; now discontinued. (R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Bluff School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named from its original location on a bluff covered with cedars. (R.I. Colborn, Russell Scobee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Grove Baptist Church
Description:In Jackson Township, southeast of Paris. Named from the large grove of cedars near the churchyard. (Monroe City News, 38; R.T. Colborn, S.T. Curtright)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clapper
Description:An unincorporated village and discontinued post office (1876-1904), in northwest Indian Creek Township, settled in 1870 and laid off on August 15, 1871, by Thomas Tweel and J.S. Stribling, owners of the land. Named for Henry Clapper, who was influential in getting the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad to run through that part of the country. The original plat list it as Clapper Station. (Campbell, 380, Deed Record, 1-202; W.R. Baskett, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:In the northern part of the county. Organized from Jackson Township in 1860 and named for Charles S. Clay, one of the early settlers. (History of Monroe and Shelby Counties, 187, Ref. Book I, 551; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clear Creek
Description:In Washington Township, a branch of Crooked Creek. The name is descriptive, the water being unusually clear. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clinton
Description:See Somerset
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clinton School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for the old town of Clinton (q.v.), later called North Fork, the school also being frequently referred to as North Fork. It is a short distance northwest of the settlement. (Mrs. Julia Mason)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Combs School
Description:In Clay Township. Named for William L. Combs, county surveyor for almost forty years, well known throughout the county. (Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coon Creek
Description:In Prairie, Sugar Creek, and Union Townships, Randolph County, flowing into Marion Township, Monroe County. Named for William Coon, who lived and died near the stream. (T.J. Hawkins, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cox School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for James Cox, landowner in the district. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cradle of Science School
Description:In Clay Township. A figurative name chosen to emphasize the importance of the elementary school as a seat of learning. (R.I. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crooked Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A discontinued post office in Washington Township. Named from its location on Crooked Creek (q.v.). (Hayward, 825; W.R. Baskett, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crooked Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A stream in Woodlawn, Clay, and Washington Townships, a branch of North Fork of Salt River. Its name is descriptive of its winding course. Sometimes called Big Crooked Creek, to distinguish it from a smaller fork. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crooked Creek Baptist Church
Description:In Woodlawn Township, twelve miles northwest of Paris. Organized in March, 1840, and named from Crooked Creek (q.v.), on which it is located. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 279; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cross Hollow School
Description:In Jackson Township. Originally the school was located near two small hollows that formed a T; hence the name. (T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crutcher School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for Milton Crutcher, landowner. (T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dashner School
Description:In South Fork Township, named for J.J. Dashner, an emigant from Kentucky, on whose land the school was located. (W.R. Baskett, Postal Guide Marr)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Deer Creek
Description:In Washington Township, a branch of North Fork of Salt River. Named from the many deer found in the vicinity in pioneer days; often several were seen at one time. (Monroe Atlas 1917; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Deer Creek Methodist Church
Description:In Washington Township, near Deer Creek (q.v.), from which it takes its name. It was organized in 1879, but is now extinct. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 285; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Deer Creek School
Description:In Washington Township. Named from its location on Deer Creek (q.v.). (M.J. Heathman)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Duncan Creek
Description:Rises in Shelby County, flowing into Crooked Creek in northeast Clay Township through land belonging to William Duncan. (Monroe Atlas 1917; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Duncan's Bridge
Description:A village in Woodlawn Township. Originally it was only a mill moved there from a distance and operated by John Hendricks. As he was a confederate sympathizer and his son a rebel soldier, they called the place Leesburg for General Robert E. Lee. Because there was another Leesburg in the state, the name was changed when a post office was established to Duncan's Bridge, for David Duncan, who lived in the vicinity, operating a ferry and later a toll bridge. The Atlas of 1876 mis-names Leesburg Elesburgh. (Postal Guide 1876; Omer Hendricks)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eanon Baptist Church
Description:In Jackson Township; one of the oldest churches in the county, consolidated with Middle Fork Baptist Church in 1833. Named for Aenon, the place where John was baptizing (John 3:23), but the spelling is an original local variant. A favortie Baptist name. (Salt River Association, 75; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elizabethtown
Description:See Indian Creek
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk Fork
Description:A branch of Salt Township, one fork of which rises in Cairo Township, Randolph County, the other in Union Township, Monroe County. It converges with The Middle Fork of Salt River in Jackson Township, Monroe County. Named from the elk licks, common at an early day in this section of the country. (W.T. Nise, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elliottsville
Description:A discontinued post office and country store in Jefferson Township, northeast of Paris, a short distance from Stoutsville, on North Fork of Salt River. In early times Henry Dooley operated a ferry here, becoming wealthy because it was on the route followed by many emigrants on their way to Kansas. Named for Mr. Elliott, who built several covered bridges, one of them here in the 1860s. (Maps 1869-1886; W.R. Baskett, S.T. Curtright)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elm Creek
Description:Rises in the extreme northern part of Prairie Township, Audrain County and joins South Fork of Salt River in South Fork Township, Monroe County. See above. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Evans School
Description:In Clay Township. Named for James D. Evans, a landowner in the district. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Evansville
Description:A village in northwest Union Township. Laid out by J.M. Peoples on February 7, 1880. Some informants say it was named for a railroad executive. (Deed Record, 11-629, Postal Guide 1876 f. J.N. Atterbury, Jr.)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview Baptist Church
Description:In Woodlawn Township. Named from Fairview (now Wallace), School (q.v.). The church has been organized only a few years. (Mo. Bap. Bull., 250, R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview Christian Church
Description:In Jefferson Township. Organized in 1879 and named from its location. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 289; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:See Wallace School
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flat Creek
Description:Rises in Cairo Township, Randolph County, crossing the northern corner of Union Township into Marion Township, Monroe County. A branch of the Middle Fork of Salt River; so named because it is subject to overflowing. (HISTORY OF RANDOLPH, 147; E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Florida
Description:A village in Jefferson Township, near the forking of Salt River. Laid out in 1831 by Robert Donaldson, John Witt, William Keenan, John T. Grigsby, William N. Penn, and Hugh A. Hickman. Named for the state, which was much in the public eye at the time (taken over by U.S. in 1821, scene of the Seminole Wars culminating in the struggle with Osceola). Famous as the birthplace of Samul L. Clemens (Mark Twain). (Deed Record A-3, Eaton, 332, Monroe County Appeal, August 13, 1931, sec. III, p. 2; H.J. Blanton, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Foreman School
Description:In Jackson Township, on land which belonged to Jeremiah Foreman, for whom it was named. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Forest Grove
Description:A settlement in Woodlawn Township mentioned only in a single history, and no longer in existence. The name was doubtless descriptive. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 285; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fowkes
Description:An abandoned railroad station in Jackson Township; about four miles west of Paris on the Wabash Railroad. Named for Ernest Fowkes, division superintendent of freight. (Rand McNally Atlas; Penn Brace, Mrs. E. Smithey)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fox's Settlement
Description:The first settlement in the county, made in 1819 or 1820 by Ezra Fox, Andrew and Daniel Wittenburg, and others. Named for the first mentioned pioneer. The settlement was about three miles east of where Middle Grove now is. (Monroe County Appeal, sec. 3,5; W.R. Baskett, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fuller School
Description:In Jackson Township. Located on land belonging to Ezra Fuller and named for him. (Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Garrett School
Description:In Union Township. Named for James T. Garrett of the district. It is now a part of Evansville Consolidated District. (Abstract and Index of Deeds; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gibbs School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for James L. Gibbs, landowner. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Giventon
Description:In Union Township; a town platted on May 31, 1888, by Adam Given, owner of the site, and named for him. The town did not materialize. (Deed Record 26-308; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gleason School
Description:In South Fork Township. Named for an early settler by the name of Gleason, who came from New York and lived with hospitable neighbors until he was sufficiently established to send for his family. (T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goss
Description:A hamlet in northeast Jackson Township, dedicated by Andrew J. Austin on July 9, 1904. The place was originally known as Austin, from the owner of the site. Because there was another Austin in the state, the name was changed when the post office was established in 1886. It was named for James Goss, a retired farmer of the community. (Deed Record 57-346; W.R. Baskett, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goss and Vandeventer's Mill
Description:In Jefferson Township, south of Florida. This mill, owned by John Goss and John Vandeventer, was one of the first in the county and made flour on a big scale. (H.J. Blanton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Granville
Description:A village and discontinued post office (1870-1904), about twelve miles northwest of Paris, in Clay Township. Laid out by John T. Parker, owner of the land, and named for Dr. Granville Giles, prominent in the vicinity. He was the father of Richard P. Giles, of Shelby County, one of the leading lawyers of the first and second congressional districts. (Maps 1866 f.; Penn Brace, M.J. Heathman)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Greenwell School
Description:In Washington Township. Located on the farm of George J. Green, a pioneer settler who owned much land in the district. (T.A. McGee, Henry Wilt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Greenwood Methodist Church
Description:In Washington Township, ten miles north of Paris. Organized in 1854 and named from the Greenwood School in the same vicinity (q.v.). (History of Monroe and Shelby, 283)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Greenwood School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for its location at the edge of a forest. (R.T. Colborn, Henry Wilt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hardin's Creek
Description:Rises in Prairie Township, Randolph County, joining Milligan Creek in Union Township, Monroe County. Named for Benjamin Hardin, pioneer settler. Misspelled Harden on 1876 Monroe County Atlas. (T.J. Hawkins, E.M. Richmond)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harley School
Description:In Marion Township. Located on the land of Mahlon Harley, for whom it was named. (Abstract and Index of Deeds; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harmony Baptist Church
Description:An organization in Jefferson Township, near Stoutsville, now almost defunct. An ideal name. (Mo. Bapt. Bull. 250; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harris Springs
Description:In Union Township, west of Middle Grove. Here was once a popular resort, there being, among other things, a store, a large hotel, and a dancing pavilion. Thomas Harris owned the farm on which the mineral springs were located. (J.W. Atterbury, Jr., S.T. Curtright)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hawkins
Description:A store and post office (1886-1904), in Washington Township, north of Paris. Named for John Hawkins, postmaster. (H.J. Blanton, Henry Wilt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hays School
Description:In Indian Creek Township. Named for William W. Hays, on whose land it was located. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Heathman School
Description:In Clay Township. Located on land formerly owned by Isaac T. Heathman and named for him. (Abstract and Index of Deeds; M.J. Heathman)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Heavenridge School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for Ezekiel Heavenridge, owner of the land on which it is located. (R.I. Colborn, M.J. Heathman)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickman's Mill
Description:In Jefferson Township, on South Fork of South River, south of Florida. Hugh Hickman, for whom it was named, also ran a ferry, receiving his license to operate in 1837. (Monroe County Appeal, sec. 3, 3; H.J. Blanton, T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Grove Baptist Church
Description:Near Ash, in Marion Township. Organized in August, 1843; named from the large hickory grove nearby. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 290-291; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:In Jefferson Township. See above. (R.I. Colborn, Russell Scobee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Holliday
Description:A town in Marion Township, laid out by R.F. West on September 22, 1877, and named for Thompson Holliday, who, with his brother W.H., erected the first store there, also the first dwelling house. (Deed Record 1-277; J.W. Atterbury, Jr., W.R. Baskett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Horse Shoe Creek
Description:A branch of North Fork, of Salt River, in Washington Townhip. The name is descriptive of its shape. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hurd School
Description:In Monroe Township. Located on the land of Thomas Hurd and named for him. (W.R. Baskett, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Creek [1 of 2]
Description:An Irish settlement and discontinued post office in northeast Indian Creek Township on Indian Creek (q.v.) from which it takes its name. Settled in 1835 and known at first as Swinkey, for a pioneer settler who later laid it out. When the town was dedicated, the official name given to it was Elizabethtown in honor of the wife of Mr. Swinkey. When a post office was established about 1845, the name was changed to Indian Creek. Later postal guides list it as Indiancreek. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 158, St. Louis Gaz., 130; W.R. Baskett, James Noonan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Creek [2 of 2]
Description:In Indian Creek Township, Monroe County, and Saline Township, Ralls County, a branch of Salt River. The name was possibly thought an appropriate one because of the reddish color of the water caused by red sand, also from the fact that the stream is at times very treachrous and unsafe. Wetmore's Gazetteer (119), names it Big Indian Creek (p. 119), to distinguish it from Indian Creek. (Penn Brace, R.T. Colborn, Postal Guide Marr)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Creek School
Description:In Indian Creek Township. Named from its location on Indian Creek (q.v.). The school has been discontinued. (M.H. Heathman, Russell Scobee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Creek Township
Description:In the northeast corner of the county. Formerly a part of Jefferson Township; organized in 1840 and named from the stream (q.v.). Settled mostly by Irish Catholics from County Antrim, Ireland. Still one of the largest Irish Catholic parishes. (Ref. Book A, 209; H.J. Blanton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ireland
Description:A community in the north-central part of the county, northwest of Stoutsville; most of the settlers were Irish. (R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ivy Branch
Description:In Jefferson Township; a branch of the Salt Fork of Salt River, running through the land of Anderson Ivie. Ivy is undoubtedly an error in spelling due to "contamination" or association with the name of the plant. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jackson Chapel Methodist Church
Description:In Jackson Township. Organized on April 30, 1876 and named for Rev. William J. Jackson, who preached there and was on the building committee. (W.R. Baskett, Postal Guide Marr)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:One of the three original townships, laid out on May 2, 1831. It now occupies a section of the central and southern part of the state. It was named for Andrew Jackson, seventh president, in office at the time. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 111; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jacoby School
Description:In Union Township. Located on land formerly owned by W.W. Jacoby and named for him. (Abstract and Index of Deeds; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:In the eastern part of the county, one of the three original townships, laid out on May 2, 1831. Named for Thomas Jefferson, third president. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 111; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for Milas Johnson, landowner. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jonesburg
Description:A rival town to Clinton, separated from it by an alley. Laid out September 20, 1836, by Colonel Gabriel Jones and Greenlie Hays and named for the former. It is no longer in existence. (Deed Record b-419; W.R. Baskett; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Judah Creek
Description:In Saling Township, Audrain County and Union Township, Monroe County, a branch of Allen Creek. Named for a pioneer settler, Wesley Judah. Misnamed Judith Creek in SOIL SURVEY OF MISSOURI, I, 494. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; T.J. Hawkins, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kirkland School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for Dr. Abraham Kirkland, who was instrumental in getting the school organized sometime before the Civil War. (W. R. Baskett, R. Scobee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kirtley School
Description:In Marion Township. Named for William H. Kirtley, prominent in the district. A youth of the district killed near here an opossum, which someone by way of a joke convinced him it was a wild cat. Because of the report he afterwards spread, both the boy and the school were known locally as "Wild Cat." (J.W. Atterbury, Jr., M.F. Kirtley)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lebanon Baptist Church
Description:In South Fork Township, near Victor. The organization lasted only a short time, the membership moving to Stoutsville. A Bible name (Deut 1:7), a range of mountains north of Palestine, meaning "white," from its snow-clad summits; famous for its cedar trees. (R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Leesburg
Description:See Duncan's Bridge
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Leichliter
Description:A country store in Washington Township, near the Washington School, owned by Charles L. Lichliter. Now abandoned. (Henry Wilt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Crooked Creek
Description:In Clay Township. A small branch of Crooked Creek (q.v.). (Monroe Atlas 1917)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Indian Creek
Description:A branch of Indian Creek (q.v.), in Monroe and Indian Creek Townships, Monroe County and Saline Township, Ralls County.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Otter Creek
Description:In Woodlawn and Clay Townships, a small branch of Otter Creek (q.v.). (Monroe Atlas 1917)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:London Trace
Description:The first public road in the county. So named because it connected with New London, Ralls County. It began at Fox's settlement near Middle Grove. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 93)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:A discontinued post office in South Fork Township, near Long Branch (q.v.), whence its name. Also written Longbranch, in more recent postal guides. (Hayward, 825, Penn Brace, T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:A tributary of the South Fork of Salt River, rising in Saling Township, Audrain County and joining the South Fork of Salt River in South Fork Township, Monroe County. Its name is descriptive of the length of the stream, which crosses almost the entire southern part of Monroe County from west to east. (Campbell, 47)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Branch Baptist Church
Description:In South Fork Township. Named from its location on Long Branch (q.v.). (Mo. Bap. Bull., 250; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Branch School
Description:In South Fork Township. Located on Long Branch (q.v.), a mile from the old town of that name. (M.J. Heathman, Russell Scobee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Madison
Description:A town in the central part of Marion Township. Settled in 1836 and named by James R. Abernathy for President James Madison (1751- 1836), who died in that year. (Deed Record, History of Monroe and Shelby, 173; J.W. Atterbury, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marion Township
Description:On the western border of the county. Organized in 1835 and named in honor of General Francis Marion (1732-1795), of Revolutionary War fame. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 173, Ref. Book A, 192; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marr School
Description:In Jackson Township. Located on the farm of R.S. Marr and named for him. (Postal Guide Marr)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mason School
Description:In Marion Township. Named for George G. Mason, landowner. (Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McGee School
Description:In Jackson Township. Built on the farm of Joshua McGee, member of a pioneer family. (Penn Brace, Mrs. E. Smithey)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McKamey School
Description:In Jackson Township. Located across the road from the farm once belonging to David McKamey, a large landowner. (Abstract and Index of Deeds; Penn Brace; Mrs. E. Smithey)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Meredith's Mill
Description:In north Jefferson Township, on North Fork of Salt River. Named for Hugh Meredith, who owned and operated it. (Monroe County Appeal, sec. 3,3)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Middle Fork Baptist Church
Description:In Jackson Township, four miles south of Paris. Named from Middle Fork (q.v.), Salt River, upon which it was located. The church was organized in May, 1831, being known then as Bethlehem, for the place where Christ was born (Mat. 2:1). The name was changed to Middle Fork in 1832. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 278, Salt River Association, 278; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Middle Fork of Salt River
Description:The middle one of three branches of Salt River, which join in Jefferson Township. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Middle Grove
Description:A village in west Union Township, laid off in 1840 on the site of the Fox settlement by John G.C. Milligan of Virginia, first postmaster and hotel keeper there. The name was given to it because it has, in more than one way, a central location - between the Mississippi and Big Muddy Rivers; and between New London and Franklin, ends of a new mail route. Furthermore the settlement, located in a section of timber reaching into the Grand Prairie, was a convenient halting place for early pioneers. More recent postal guides list it as Middlegrove. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 178, Maps, 1844 f. 1870-1904, Monroe County Appeal, 4,4; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mill Grove
Description:A discontinued post office and settlement in Marion Township, begun in 1870. Campbell's Gazetter states it was the original name for Evansville. Old settlers deny this. (Campbell, 380; S.T. Curtright, T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Milligan Creek
Description:A tributary of Hardins Creek, in Union Township. Rises in Randolph County. John C. Milligan, a large landowner, first entered land here on August 9, 1826. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monroe
Description:See Monroe City
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monroe City
Description:A town in northeast Monroe Township, laid off in 1856 by Edward B. Talcott, one of the contractors for building the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad. It was dedicated in December, 1856, and recorded on February 10, 1857, as Monroe, taking its name from the county. When it became a post office of the fourth class, the word "city" was affixed. It was not incorporated until 1869. Monroe City now lies in four counties, Monroe, Marion, Ralls and Shelby. Deed Record P-321, History of Monroe and Shelby 161; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monroe County
Description:Originally a part of Ralls County. Formed by an act of the state legislature on January 6, 1831. On the north are Shelby and Marion Counties; on the east, Ralls; on the south, Audrain; on the west, Macon and Randolph. Named for James Monroe (1758-1831), whose term as president had expired six years earlier. He died on July 4, six months after the county was formed. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 93-94, State Laws, First Session of Sixth General Assembly, 21- 21; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monroe Township
Description:In the northeast corner of the county, formerly a part of Jefferson Township. Organized in 1863 and named from the county (q.v.). (Record Book J, 111; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Joy Christian Church
Description:In Jackson Township. It lasted only about five years. An ideal name. (R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Pleasant Baptist Church
Description:In Marion Township, four miles northeast of Holliday. One of the oldest churches in the county and one of the few Old School Baptist. Located on a hill near Salt River at the "breaks" that is, where the hills break into prairie land. A descrptive name. (R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Pleasant School
Description:In Marion Township. Named from the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (q.v.). (R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Prairie Baptist Church
Description:In Jefferson Township. Organized on April 15, 1837. So named because of its location on hilly land and at the edge of the prairie. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 279, R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Airy Baptist Church
Description:In Union Township, southwest of Paris. Organized in February, 1868. A very popular American place-name, used for towns in nine other states (Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Virginia), either spelled as above or Mountairy. The Virginia town is somewhat more likely to have been the source in Missouri; cf. the town of Mountairy above. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 280; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Zion Methodist Church
Description:In Jackson Township, eight miles southwest of Paris. Organized in 1833. See above. (Deed Record, History of Monroe and Shelby; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mud Creek
Description:Rises in Jackson Township, crossing Salt River Township and joining Middle Fork of Salt River in Monroe County. So named because its waters are never clear, the soil on its banks washing away easily. (History of Randolph, 147; M.J. Lilly)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mudd School
Description:In Monroe Township. Named for George P. Mudd, landowner. Known familiarly as "Seed Tick," from the insect; someone in the neighborhood probably thought the ticks were more numerous here. (Deed Record, W.R. Baskett, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Hope Christian Church
Description:In Union Township. See above.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Hope Presbyterian Church
Description:In South Fork Township, one and a half mile southeast of Strother. Organized on December 19, 1857. See above. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 290; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Hope School
Description:In Union Township. Named from the New Hope Christian Church (q.v.). (R.I. Colborn, M.J. Heathman)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nolen School
Description:In Monroe Township, named from John L. Nolen, a landowner in the neighborhood. (Deed Record, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North Fork
Description:A settlement and discontinued post office in Washington Township, on North Fork of Salt River, whence its name. It was located in the vicinity of Clinton; persons interviewed considered it merely a change of name from Clinton. This is not borne out by records; Wetmore lists a post office here as early as 1837. No doubt Clinton Somerset P.O.), and its rival town, Jonesburg, went out of existence as North Fork developed. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 186; Wetmore, 275; W.R. Baskett, H.J. Blanton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North Fork Baptist Church
Description:In Jefferson Township at the edge of Stoutsville, near North Fork; hence its name. Organized in 1832 or 1833. It is now a community church, the North Fork Christian denomination meeting in the same building. (History of Monroe and Shelby, 278; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North Fork Christian Church
Description:See North Fork Baptist Church. (R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North Fork of Salt River
Description:Rises in Washington Township, flowing south to join Salt River (q.v.), in Jefferson Township. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove Baptist Church
Description:A very old organization in Woodlawn Township, four miles north of Holliday. There used to be a large oak grove here. (Mo. Bap. Bull., 251; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove Christian Church
Description:In Woodlawn Township, located near the Oak Grove Baptist Church (q.v.). The building was moved to Woodlawn; the cemetery is still used. (J.W. Atterbury, Jr.)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:In Woodlawn Township. Named from the Oak Grove Baptist Church (q.v.). (R.I. Colborn, Russell Scobee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Ridge Christian Church
Description:In Jackson Township, a few miles southeast of Paris. Organized in August, 1871 and named from Oak Ridge School (q.v.). (R.T. Colborn, Henry Wilt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Ridge School
Description:In Jackson Township. The school was built between two ridges which were covered with oak trees. (M.H. Heathman, Russell Scobee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ohaha River
Description:The original Inidian name for Salt River (q.v.). Its primitive signification is unknown. Coues mentions the variant spellings Oahahah (used by Pike, and Auhaha), and says it was laid down on some maps before 1700. The name is still in use locally, having been perpetuated in Spanish land grant papers. (Coues, I., 7)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oldham Creek
Description:Rises in Prairie Township, Randolph County, joining Hardin's Creek in Union Township, Monroe County. Named for Jesse D. Oldham, pioneer settler. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Otter Creek
Description:Rises in Shelby County, joining the North Fork of Salt River in Jefferson Township. Named for the otters found there. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ownby School
Description:In Union Township. Named for James Ownby, who settled here in 1827. It is out of existence now, the district being included in the Evansville Consolidated School. (Monroe County Appeal, sec. 3,4; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Paris
Description:A town in Jackson Township, laid out in 1831 and designated the county seat by Hancock S. Jackson of Randolph County, Stephen Glascock of Ralls County, and Joseph Holliday of Pike County, commissioners appointed by the state legislature when the county was created. The donors of the site were James C. Fox, James R. Abernathy, and Hightower F. Hackney. After the meeting, the commissioners went to the home of James Cox and approved of the name suggested by Mrs. Fox, after Paris, Kentucky, her old home. (Deed Book A-1, Deed Record A-26, History of Monroe and Shelby, 133; Penn Brace, W.R. Baskett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Peak School
Description:In South Fork Township. Named for Henry J. Peak, who owned land in the district. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pedee Branch
Description:A Branch of Flat Creek in Marion Township, heading near Madison. No explanation for the name has been found. It is probably an Indian word. (Monroe Atlas 1917)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pigeon Roost Creek
Description:A branch of Camp Creek, in Jefferson Township. Great numbers of wild pigeons roosted in the trees, so many as to darken the sun and break the branches of the trees. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Green Baptist Church
Description:In Marion Township, four miles north of Madison. Named from the school (q.v.). (Mo. Bap. Bull., 251; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Green School
Description:In Marion Township. Located on a prairie, the name being descriptive of the setting. (M.J. Heathman, Russell Scobee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Grove Christian Church
Description:In Jackson Township, northeast of Paris. Organized in December 1862, and named from its location, many large shade trees being in the yard. (HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 287; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church
Description:In Jackson Township, six miles west of Paris. Organized in November, 1825. See above. (HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 289, Monroe City News, 46; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Poage School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for a pioneer settler, Thomas Poage. (Deed Record, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pool's Branch
Description:A branch of Elk Fork, in Jackson Township. It flows through the farm once owned by Felix Pool. (Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Porter's Chapel Methodist Church
Description:In Union Township, in the south-central part of the county. Built on the farm of Richard Porter, Sr., a wealthy member, who also donated generously toward the building. (Sam Curtright, Mrs. Richard Porter, Jr.)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Power School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named for a pioneer settler, Milford Powers. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie High School
Description:See Strother Institute
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ram Branch
Description:Rises in Shelby County, flowing into Otter Creek in Woodlawn Township, Monroe County. Found only in a single Atlas, and unknown locally. (Monroe Atlas 1917)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ransdell School
Description:In Clay Township. Located near the farm of Shelton Y. Ransdell, prominent in the community. (Penn Brace, R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rapid Creek
Description:In Union Township, a branch of Elk Fork of Salt River. A descriptive name. (Monroe Atlas 1917; Postal Guide Marr)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Reese's Fork
Description:See Allen Creek.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Riviere au Sel
Description:See Salt River
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem Baptist Church
Description:In the northern part of Jackson Township, four miles north of Paris. Organized in May, 1857. A Bible name for Jerusalem (Gen. 14:18). (HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 280; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salem School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named from Salem Baptist Church (q.v.). (M.J. Heathman, Russell Scobee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saling Creek
Description:Rises in southwestern Saling Township, Audrain County, and flows into Allen's Fork in Union Township, Monroe County. Named for George Saling, who located here in 1830. (HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, I, 191n, ORIGINAL COUNTY PLAT BOOK; W.W. Botts, W.H. Carpenter)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saling Township
Description:In the northwestern corner of the county, one of the five original townships. Laid out in 1837 and named for Saling Creek, which heads within its boundaries, joining Long Branch in Monore County. (HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, I, 191n)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River
Description:Begins in Jefferson Township, Monroe County, with the junction of South, Elk, and North Forks, and crosses Ralls County, emptying into the Mississippi River in Pike County. Named from numerous salt deposits in the territory it drains. The earliest white navigators of the stream came in search of locations for salt mills. Named Riviere au Sel by the French; by the Indians, Oa-haha. The expression "going up Salt River," signifying defeat, is said to refer to the practice in the vicinity in early times of a defeated candidate, who, unsuccessful in one locality, went farther up the river, where he hoped to be more fortunate in the next election. (Ralls Atlas 1906; W.W. Crockett, J.D. Hostetter)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sanford School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named for J.T. Sanford, who owned land here. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Santa Fe
Description:A village in South Fork Township. Settled between 1825 and 1830 by L. Creed. Laid out October 6, 1836, by Dr. John Bybee, who had entered several hundred acres of land. Named after Santa Fe, New Mexico, since the Texan War of Independence had aroused great interest in Mexico. Santa Fee on Deed Record; Santa Fe on earlier postal guides. (Deed Record, B-427, Maps 1844 f., Monroe City News, 32, Monroe County Appeal, sec. 4,4; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Scattering Creek
Description:A small stream in the northern part of Saling and Wilson Townships, Audrain County, flowing into Long Branch in Monroe County. So named because it breaks into several forks. (Atlas 1918; E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Scott School
Description:In Marion Township. Named for Joseph A. Scott of the district, once a member of the state legislature. (Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seed Tick School
Description:See Mudd School
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shake Rag
Description:A settlement mostly of negroes near Holliday, in Marion Township, very hilly and poor land, except for that along the river, which is occupied by white people. The "shake-rag" was an old bandanna knotted at the four corners worn by a negro "mammy." Since negroes have a habit of shaking their heads when talking, these knots were kept bobbing. (Penn Brace, Mrs. E. Smithey)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sharp School
Description:In South Fork Township. Named for James E. Sharp, who owned the land. (Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shiloh Presbyterian Church
Description:In Jackson Township, four miles west of Paris. This old church is now defunct; even the building is gone. A familiar Bible name for the Messiah (Gen. 49:10) or for the town, symbolic of rest and peace, where the Israelites set up a tabernacle (Josh. 18:1). (R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smith Settlement
Description:The second in the county; so named because it was made, among others, by Joseph Smith, Sr., Alexander W. Smith, Joseph Smith, Jr., and Samuel H. Smith, who probably were squatters, since their names are not in the deed record. Located between Paris and Florida, between the Middle and North Forks of Salt River. The McGees were also pioneers here. (Monroe City News, 37, Monroe County Appeal, pt. 2,6; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smizer School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named for John Milton Smizer, owner of a large tract of land adjoining the school and for many years president of the board of education in the district. It is a very old school. (Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Snell School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named for Granville Snell, who deeded the land in 1867. (Abstract and Index Deed, Deed Record)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Snell's Branch
Description:In Indian and Jefferson Townships, a tributary of Salt River. Charles Snell owned land and ran a saw mill here. Misspelled Shell's on Monroe Atlas 1917. (HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 157; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Snyder Branch
Description:A branch in South Fork Township, of the South Fork of South River. Named for Powell Snyder, who owned land and ran a saw mill. Spellled Snider on Monroe Atlas 1876. (Penn Brance, R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sodom
Description:See Victor
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Somerset
Description:An abandoned settlement in north Washington Township. Laid off under the name of Clinton on August 5, 1836, by George Glenn, Samuel Bryan, and Spotwood Williams. When the post office was established about 1870 a little northwest of the old town its name was changed to Somerset becaue of another Clinton in the state. Both names were doubtless borrowed, but the exact source is unknown; there are over forty other Clintons, and about twenty other Somersets, in the United States. (Deed Record B- 400, HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 186, Maps 1866, 1867, 1871, Postal Guide, 1870, 1876; W.R. Baskett, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Branch of Crooked Creek
Description:In Clay Township. Named for its position. (Monroe Atlas 1917)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Brush Creek
Description:In South Fork Township. The southern fork of Brush Creek (q.v.), whence its name. (Monroe Atlas 1917)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Fork of Salt River
Description:A branch of Salt River, named from its location. It flows through Salt River and Prairie Townships of Audrain County into Monroe County, joining Salt River in Jefferson Township. (Campbell, 49)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Fork Presbyterian Church
Description:In South Fork Township. Organized on October 22, 1853, and named from its location on Salt Fork of Salt River (q.v.). (Deed Record, HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 289; Penn Brace, R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Fork School
Description:In South Fork Township. Named from the South Fork Presbyterian Church and also from its location on the South Fork of Salt River. (Deed Record; R.I. Colborn, Russell Scobee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Fork Township
Description:In the southeast corner of the county. Organized in 1834 from Jefferson Township and named from the South Fork of Salt River (q.v.), which drains its central part. (HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 180, Ref. Book A., 113; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spencer Chapel Methodist Church
Description:In northwest Clay Township. Organized in 1832 and named for Reverend Berry H. Spencer, a Methodist minister who gained pominence in this denomination and became presiding elder. He had this church as one of his first charges. (HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 282; W.R. Baskett)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spencer Chapel School
Description:In Clay Township. Named from the Spencer Chapel Methodist Church (q.v.). (R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Starr School
Description:In southwest Jackson Township. Named for a landowner. (Sam Curtright, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stoutsville
Description:A town in northwest Jefferson Township, settled in 1870 and laid out in 1871. Named by the M.K. and T. Railroad for Robert P. Stout, a prominent landowner, an immigrant from Kentucky, in appreciation of a gift of six acres of land by his widow, Sally M. Stout, and her son, John P. Stout. (Deed Record I-240, Conard VI, 99; Penn Brace; Postal Guide Marr)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Strother
Description:A village in Jackson Township, named for Professor French Strother, principal of Strother Institute. The school had such standing that it attracted students from a distance, and the town grew up around it. When the building was destroyed by fire, a second one was erected, and the popularity of the school continued until the public high schools were established. Professor Strother then became identified with the school at Perry, Ralls County. He was a native of Virginia, where he had received a good education in private schools and the University of Virginia, and was already an experienced school man when he came to Missouri. He was associated with Glasgow Ladies' Seminary, Lindenwood College (St. Charles) Kansas City Ladies' College (Independence) and Carrollton public schools. (HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 182, Missouri History Review, Vol. II, 112-113, Postal Guide 1886 f., H.J. Blanton, R.I. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Strother Institute
Description:In South Fork Township, organized many years ago by several pioneers, including Captain John Forsythe, Jacob Cox, Joseph E. Sproul, William Vaughn, Hiram Powell, Willis Bledsoe, and William T. Bridgford. This was one of the few schools higher than the ordinary district school and patronized by many from a distance. It became known as Strother Institute when Professor French Strother was appointed principal. Previously, it had been known as Prairie High School, fom its location on prairie land. The second building, which replaced one destroyed by fire is still standing but abandoned. (Monroe County Appeal, sec. 4.4; H.J. Blanton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Swinkey
Description:See Indian Creek
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Taylor's Branch
Description:In Washington and Jackson Townships, a branch of Otter Creek. Named for a pioneer settler here. (Monroe Atlas 1917; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tewell School
Description:In Monroe Township. Named for Thomas Tewell, who owned land here. (W.R. Baskett, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thompsonville
Description:A country store in Jackson Township, near Paris. Charles Thompson, of Illinois, bought a large tract of land here and built a handsome home and a small store. The latter is still in operation; the house has burned down. (Rand McNally Atlas; H.J. Blanton, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tillett School
Description:In South Fork Township. Named for John G. Tillett of the district. (Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tisue School
Description:In Woodlawn Township. Named for Moses Tisue, a pioneer settler of the district. It is out of existence now, being taken over by the Duncan's Bridge School. The name is obviously French; its present pronunciation as if compounded of "tie" and "shoe," offers an example of "folk etymology." (Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tompkinsville
Description:A settlement in Clay Township, laid out on July 4, 1839, by Joseph Sidner. An addition was made on July 8, 1839, by Taylor Barton, but no lots were ever sold here. The place soon became extinct. Named for Elihu B. Tompkins, owner of almost a thousand acres of land in the neighborhood. (Deed Record D-405; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tulip
Description:A trading post and discontinued post office (1886-1904), in southeast Union Township. Tipton Rodes, a former Paris editor, who was asked to name it, named it for his favorite flower. (Sam Curtright)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turkey Branch
Description:In Jackson Township, a branch of Elk Fork. The wild turkeys which used to be abundant in this new country were especially numerous in this vicinity. Also called Turkey Creek. (Monroe Atlas 1876; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:See Turkey Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Christian Church
Description:In Jackson Township. Organized in 1845, now extinct. An ideal name. See Union Chapel Christian Church (Ralls), above. (HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 286; R.T. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named from Union Christian Church (q.v.). (R. I. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Township
Description:In the southwest corner of the county. One of the three original townships, laid out on May 2, 1831. So named because of the growing interest in an excitement over the preservation of the union. The period of American politics was one of lively dispute over sectional as opposed to national interests on such questions as the tariff, the Bank, and westward expansion, debated by national leaders such as Clay, Webster and Clahoun. (HIST. MONROE & SHELBY, 111; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ventura
Description:In Jackson Township, south of Paris, a discontinued post office (1895-1900), and country store. A coined name, signifying that the store was a "venture." (H.J. Blanton)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Victor
Description:A village and discontinued post office (1886-1904), in southwest Jefferson Township. Mr. Stetson says the place was originally called Sodom by Jerry Mounts, an early settler, because "it was such a mean-looking place." Later, when the settlement grew and improved, the more propitious name Victor was adopted. (W.J. Stetson)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wafer Ash School
Description:In South Fork Township. Named for the wafer ash shrub or bush, which once grew profusely in the locality. (Penn Brace, Sidney McIlhany)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wallace School
Description:In Woodlawn Township. Named for the pioneer family who located here. Locally known also as Fairview, the name being descriptive of the location. (W.R. Baskett, R.I. Colborn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Washington School
Description:In Washington Township. Named from the township (q.v.). (Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Washington Township
Description:One of the northern townships, originally a part of Jackson Township. Organized in August, 1833. Named in honor of George Washington, first president. (Ref. Book A, 55; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Welch
Description:A country store and discontinued post office (1886-1904), in Union Township. Named for the first storekeeper there, Larkin Welch. (Sam Curtright)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Branch
Description:See White Oak Branch
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Oak Branch
Description:In Union and Jackson Townships, a branch of Bee Creek. Incorrectly marked White Branch on Monroe Atlas 1917. See above. (Monroe Atlas 1876; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wild Cat School
Description:See Kirtley School
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wolf Pen Branch
Description:A branch of Bee Creek, in Jaxkson Township. Pioneers set many pens to trap wolves, one of which, no doubt, gave this creek its name. (Monroe Atlas 1917; T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wommack School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for Hiram Wommack, of the neighborhood. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Woodlawn
Description:A settlement and post office (discontinued in 1904), in central Woodlawn Township. (Hayward, 825, Maps 1844, Penn Brace, T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Woodlawn Township
Description:In the northwestern part of the county, formerly a part of Union Township. Organized in 1854 and named from the town (q.v.). (Ref. Book G, 251; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wright School [1 of 2]
Description:In Washington Township. Named for Andrew J. Wright, a prominent landowner. (Postal Guide Marr)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wright School [2 of 2]
Description:In Union Township. Named for John Wright, a prominent farmer. It is now a part of Evansville Consolidated School. (Deed Record, Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Yeager School
Description:In Indian Creek Township, no longer in operation. Benedict J. Yager (so spelt in deed record), donated the land. (Deed Record; Penn Brace)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Young's Creek
Description:In the north-central part of Audrain County, joining Long Brance of Salt River in South Fork Township, Monroe County. Named for an early settler, Benjamin Young, a native of North Carolina, who located in what is now Audrain County in 1821. He is said to have been gored to death by a bull in 1833. (Conard, I, 83, Eaton, 20r5, HIST. AUDRAIN, 93; W.W. Botts, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names