Moniteau County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Bacon
Description:Bacon, a country store, received its name from Mr. James English, a former representative of the county. He was known among his friends as "Bacon Jim." It is not known why he was given this sobriquet. The owner of the store was a relative of "Bacon Jim's." The store was abandoned some years ago but the name still clings to the community. (J.W. Fulks; Cited on Railroad Commission Map of Missouri 1910).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bear Branch
Description:The early settlers hunted bears along this creek. The surrounding woods were called Bear Rough. At present only the stream remains, the woods have been cleared away and the land is now farming land. (J.W. Fulks; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey Map, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Berger Branch
Description:This small stream was named in honor of Mr. Frank Berger through whose farm it flowed. (Dr. L.M. Gray; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey Map, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bethel School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brick School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bruce School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bueker School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burris Fork Creek
Description:This stream received its name from a prominent family in the community. (Dr. L.M. Gray; J.W. Fulks; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burris Fork Township
Description:The name is derived from a stream that flows through the township (q.v.). (Dr. L.M. Gray; J.W. Fulks)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:California
Description:In 1835 Walter Garner built a blacksmith shop a short distance from the present town of California. "The first saloon there, and the first house except Garner's shanty and shop was built by Samuel Hand and J. Anderson. At the raising of the logs Mrs. Garner's brother, California Wilson, offered to treat with two gallons of whiskey if the boys would name the town after him. They agreed and all proclaimed the place California." Upon the organization of the county in 1845 the commissioners, who were appointed to locate the county seat, accepted fifty acres of land near the old town of California. A town was laid out here and called Boonesborough in honor of Daniel Boone, the pioneer. "A year later the post office of the old town was removed to the new, and the name Boonesborough was discontinued, and that of California, the post office, adopted." Doubtless the change from Boonesborough to California was also influenced by the agitation concerning the overland railroad to the Pacific coast. The new country, California, was attracting much attention at this time. (History of Cooper, Cole Moniteau, p. 367; Conard, I, p. 469)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carlos School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cedron
Description:"The name Cedron is taken from the rivulet Cedron, near Jerusalem, Palestine." At one time a country store was located here, but only a Catholic Church, St. Mary's Assumption, remains today. (Names File. Number 10)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clark School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clarksburg
Description:Clarksburg received its name from Hiram Clark of Kentucky, who settled upon the site and was the first postmaster. The town was incorporated in 1882. (HIST. COLE, MONITEAU Counties, p. 383; Eaton, p. 331)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clifty Springs
Description:In 1836 Colonel Henry C. Hickox settled near this spring. It is thought that he named it for the surrounding country. The adjective clifty is not a common one. However, THE OXFORD DICTIONARY, vol. II, part I, p. 499, gives 1589 as the year in which the word first appeared. It was spelled cliftie. In 1639 it appeared with the present spelling clifty. (Names file No. 8)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Corticelli
Description:Allen Short established a store and post office here in 1895. "The name Corticelli was taken from Corticelli Spool Silk." Nothing remains of the place except the church. (Names File Number 8; Cited in Missouri Gazetteer (1898), 298)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cross Lane School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Donley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dry Fork
Description:Because this small stream is dry most of the time it has been given the appellation Dry Fork. (J.W. Fulks; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Eldorado School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elliott School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Enon
Description:"When the Bagnell branch of the Missouri Pacific Railroad was being built through Enon it was a very dry year. Water was hauled from the four springs near the church for the men to use. This impressed the road builders to such an extent that they decided to call the town 'Enon' for the church and its springs. According to tradition the church received its name from the Biblical passage found in John 3:23: 'And John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.'" (California Democrat, September 15, 1927, 4-2).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Enon School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Excelsior School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Felix
Description:Nothing was found concerning the origin of the name of this, now discontinued, post office. (Cited in Missouri State Gazetteer (1860), p. 83)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fortuna
Description:About 1880 Godfrey Weber established a store, at what is now Fortuna, and named it Datzen for a friend of his. The following year P.J. Schmidt became the postmaster. Some months later the government complainted to Schmidt that the name was so much like the name of other towns in the state it was causing confusion with the mail. Schmidt had ready made stories regarding Greek gods and goddess and he decided to name his post office "Fortune" for the goddness of fortune. The "e" at the end of the word did not seem suitable for the name of a town so he changed it to "a" and sent "Fortuna" to the post department. The name was accepted and was, for a time, the only one in the United States. Recently two or three other towns have been given the name. (California Democrat, August 11, 1927, 3-1)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grant School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Green Grove School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Haines Creek
Description:Haines Creek was probably named for an early settler, although nothing definite was found. (Cited in HIST. COLE, MONITEAU Counties, p. 310)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hale School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harlan School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harmony School
Description:An ideal name (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harrison Township
Description:This township was organized February 28, 1845. The origin of the name was not found. It is doubtless in honor of an early settler.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hazel Dell School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Flat School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:High Point
Description:High Point "dates from 1831 when H.H. Simpson entered his lands in the neighborhood. The elevation is the highest in the country and hence the name." (HIST. COLE, MONITEAU Counties, p. 391; Eaton, p. 331)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:High Point School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:High Prairie School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Highland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hirdler
Description:This country store is now extinct. The origin of the name was not found. (Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Tuscumbia Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hook School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Independence School
Description:Named for its time of founding (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jamestown
Description:In 1846 S.L. and E.H. James erected a mercantile house here. The town was named in their honor. (HIST. COLE, MONITEAU Counties, p. 387; Eaton, p. 331)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kleiver
Description:Kleiver perpetuates the name of a Mr. Kleiver who owned the land on which the town was laid out. (Dr. L.M. Gray, Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri, 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kraemer School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lancaster
Description:Nothing was found concerning the name or the history of the place. (Cited on Clark's Map of Missouri, 1860)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Landers Creek
Description:This stream bears the name of Mr. Jim Landers who lived nearby. (J.W. Fulks; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Latham
Description:Latham was founded in 1880 by Judge Gardiner Latham, father of the late Dr. Latham, and in his honor named. (Dr. L.M. Gray, W.T. Latham; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lick Fork
Description:The many salt licks along the banks of this creek are responsible for the name. (Dr. L.M. Gray, J.W. Fulks; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lincoln School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Linn Township
Description:Linn Township was organized February 28, 1845. The origin of the name is unknown.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lone Elm School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lone Oak School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:This stream was so named because of its length. (J.W. Fulks, Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lupus
Description:Mr. John B. Wolf established a store at this place and named it Wolf's Point, but the name being cumbersome was changed by the railroad to Lupus, the Latin name for wolf. The village is now extinct. (Eaton, p. 331; Dr. L.M. Gray)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lupus School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Magnolia
Description:This country post office has long been discontinued. The origin of the name is unknown. (Cited in History of Cole and Moniteau Counties, p. 392, J.W. Fulks)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Marshall Branch
Description:Marshall Branch bears the name of the owner of the farm through which it flows. (J.W. Fulks, Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Martin School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Marvey Branch
Description:The origin of this name was not found. (Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mason School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McGirk
Description:McGirk was named for a prominent family who owned the land on which the town was built. A post office was established there in 1880. (HIST. COLE, MONITEAU, p. 392; Eaton p. 331; Dr. L.M. Gray)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McGirk School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mineral Branch
Description:Nothing was found concerning the origin of the name. (Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moniteau County
Description:Moniteau County was organized February 14, 1845. It was named for the creek which flows through it (q.v.). "The present spelling dates from 1821 when the Cole County Court established Moniteau Township, the orthography being their own for manito or manitou." (HIST. COLE, MONITEAU, p. 310, Campbell, p. 66, Gannett, p. 212)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moniteau Creek
Description:The name is a corruption of the Indian word manito. "The Indians often apply this term to uncommon or singular productions of nature, which they highly venerated. On or near these manitos, they chiefly deposit their offerings to the Great Spirit or Father of Life. On these rocks several rude figures have been drawn by the Indians with red paint." The original name of the creek was Little Manitou. The word Moniteau was applied (1821) to a township (Moniteau County) and later was applied to the creek. (Thwaites, V,; Clark's Sectional Map of Missouri 1844)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moreau River
Description:The term Moreau, signifying "extremely black," was given to this river by the early French explorers probably because of the character of its water. The name has undergone various changes, River a Morou, Morrow Creek, Murrow Creek. (Heath, p. 366; Thwaites (Ed. Notes), Vol. 14, p. 145)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moreau Township
Description:Moreau Township was organized in 1845 and named for its principal river (q.v.). (Dr. L.M. Gray, J.W. Fulks)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mount Vernon
Description:Mount Vernon "was laid out in the fall of 1836 or 1837 by H. Ray and John T. Thornton, who were the first general merchants. The site was used as a boat landing before there was a store." It was named for George Washington's Home in Virginia, because of their similarity in location. Mount Vernon, Missouri being located on a hill leading to the Missouri River and Mount Vernon, Virginia on a hill leading to the Potomac River. The little village is now extinct. (HIST. COLE, MONITEAU, p. 393; J.W. Fulks)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mulberry School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Norman School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:North Carolina School
Description:Named for a state (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:North Mount Vernon School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:North Mt. Vernon School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Dale School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Point
Description:A post office was established at this place in 1856. The origin of the name was not found. (Cited, Map of Missouri 1860)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oakland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Parkes School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pilot Creek
Description:A large grove of trees near the source of this creek served as a guide to travellers and gave the creek its name. (J.W. Fulks, Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Tuscumbis Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pilot Grove School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pilot Grove Township
Description:This township was organized June 19, 1854 and named for Pilot Creek, that flows through its boundaries, (q.v.). (Dr. L.M. Gray, J.W. Fulks)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant View School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pluck School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Home School
Description:Named for its location (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Union School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Red Brush School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Renfro's Mill
Description:About fifty years ago Mr. James P. Renfrow operated a mill at this place. It has been extinct for many years but the name is still applied to that vicinity. (J.W. Fulks; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rock Island School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sandy School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sandyhook
Description:In 1846 Mr. Frank Rollins opened a store on the banks of the Missouri River and named it Sandyhook because of its location in a curve of the river where there are many sand bars. (Harlan Crawford, J.W. Fulks, Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sappington School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sherman School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shiloh School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Smith's Fork
Description:In 1835 Mr. Ab. Smith settled on the banks of the stream that now bears his name. (J.W. Fulks, Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Tuscumbia Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:South Carolina School
Description:Named for a state (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:South Mt. Vernon School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:South Mt. Vernon School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Splice Creek
Description:This is another one of the numerous small streams of which nothing can be found concerning the name. (Cited in HIST. COLE, MONITEAU, p. 310)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Splice Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a creek.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stillhouse Branch
Description:Many years ago a whiskey still was operated on the banks of this stream. Hence the name Stillhouse. (Dr. L.M. Gray; J.W. Fulks; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey Map, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Straight Fork
Description:Nothing was found concerning the origin of the name. (Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sunnyside School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Surprise School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tanyard Creek
Description:Many years ago a tanyard was located on this creek. (J.W. Fulks; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tipton
Description:Tipton bears the name of Mr. William Tipton Seeley who had the town surveyed in 1858 after the building of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. In 1860 he moved his store from Round Hill to the new town. (History of Cole and Moniteau Counties, p. 378; Eaton, p. 331)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union School
Description:Named for a church (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Vanpool School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walker Township
Description:Walker Township was organized February 12, 1845. It bears the name of an early settler who came here about 1840. Before the township was organized that part of the county was known as Walker's Prairie. (J.W. Fulks)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West View School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Willow Creek
Description:Willow Creek received its name from the many Willow trees along its banks. (J.W. Fulks; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey Map, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Willow Fork School
Description:A transferred name from a creek.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wind Mill
Description:About sixty- five years ago, a Mr. Glass owned a mill that was run by wind. It was similar to the wind mills of Holland. With the coming of engines Wind Mill became extinct. (J.W. Fulks; Cited in Missouri Gazetteer and Business Directory (1860), p. 481)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names