Miller County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Alder Springs Church of Christ
Description:In Richwoods Township near the east county line. In early days alder bushes grew around the spring there. Originated about 1864. (Mrs. Josie Atwell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Alder Springs School
Description:In Richwoods Township near the east county line. Named for Alder Springs Church (q.v.). (Mrs. Josie Atwell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Allen School
Description:A discontinued school near Ulman. A family name. (E.M. Durham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Atwell
Description:A discontinued post office in southeast Richwoods Township, named for John T. Atwell, land owner. (Postal Guide 1895-1910; Schultz, 16; Mrs. Josie Atwell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Atwell School
Description:Six miles southeast of Iberia. Named for the Atwell family. (E.M. Durham & Mrs. Josie Atwell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Aurora Cave
Description:See Stark Cave.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Aurora Springs
Description:A discontinued post office in Franklin Township near Eldon. The town was laid out in 1880 by Abram Fulkerson. It immediately began to "boom" and was the largest town in the county during the 1880s and 1890s. The Jefferson City PEOPLES TRIBUNE, August 10, 1881, said it had twelve hundred people and that "Every man who goes there or passes through buys a lot on speculation." Mineral springs were responsible for its growth. Doubtless an ideal name from the Goddess of Dawn in classical mythology. (Postal Guide 1886-1910; HIST. COLE etc., 559; Schultz, 81)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Aurora Springs Branch
Description:A tributary of Little Gravois Creek near Aurora Springs, for which it is named. (John Stark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bagnell
Description:A town in southeast Franklin Township on the Osage River. The town was started in 1882 when a branch line of the Missouri Pacific Railroad was built to this point from Jefferson City. Named for William Bagnell, the contractor who built the branch line of the Missouri Pacific Railroad of which Bagnell is the terminal. (Postal Guide 1886f; Schultz, 80; E.P. Weeks)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bagnell Dam
Description:See Osage Dam.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bailey's Branch
Description:Rises in Richwoods Township and empties into Barren Fork. Named for R.B. Bailey, an early settler, who came from Tennessee. (Alvin Bailey; Geol. Miller, 16, 196)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barnett Baptist Church
Description:In Glaze Township on Bear Creek. Named for George Banett, an early landowner. (J. Burton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barren Fork
Description:A tributary of Brushy Fork Creek in western Richwoods Township. Probably so called because there is very little timber along the creek, mostly scrub oak. (Maps 1873f; Jas. W. Dinwiddie)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barton School
Description:Three miles south of Brumley. Named for an early settler, who donated the land. (Mrs. Spearman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bat Cave [1 of 2]
Description:Two miles east of Bagnell. Named for the bats which, at one time inhabited the cave. (McCanse, 20; G. Schultz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bat Cave [2 of 2]
Description:Another Bat Cave in Jim Henry Township near Hoecker. Named for the bats which, at one time, inhabited it. Large quantities of guano were mined from this cave about twenty years ago and marketed. (D. Graham, G. Schultz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Baumhoer School
Description:Near St. Elizabeth. Named for Herman Baumhoer who owned the land. Also known as the Red School because it used to be kept painted red. (John Luetkemeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bax Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River. It heads near St. Elizabeth. A family name. (John Luetkemeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bear Creek
Description:Heads in Glaze Township and empties into the Osage River. There were many bears in this section in early days. (John Jones)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bear School
Description:Three miles east of Tuscumbia. Named for Simeon Bear, who owned the land the school was built on. (L.A. Barton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beckman's Cave
Description:In Jim Henry Township. Named for a Mr. Beckman, who owned the land. (Geol. Miller, 12)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bentown
Description:See Keethtown.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Berry School
Description:Five miles east of Iberia. A family name. (E.M. Durham; G.A. Berry)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Richwoods
Description:See Iberia
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Tavern Creek
Description:A large tributary of the Osage River originally known as Cavern Creek. It was so named by some early Frenchmen for the large cave at the mouth of the creek. Schultz says it is marked "R. a la Caverne" on a French map dated 1802 in the Library of Congress. It is sometimes known as Tavern Creek. Apparently Tavern is a popular etymology for the French "Caverne." Two other Tavern Creeks were found, each with a cave at its mouth. Both are tributaries of the Missouri River, one in Callaway County and the other in St. Charles County. In each case the cave at the mouth of the creek was known in early days as The Tavern because travelers on the river often spent the night in them in bad weather. In both cases the stream received its name from the cave. The one in Calloway County was known as Big Tavern Creek also. Practically all the early travelers on the Missouri River refer to one or the other of these "Taverns." (Flegg, Pike, Brandbury, Maximilian, Floyd, Lewis and Clark, etc.) Coues, in a footnote in his edition of Pike's journal, refers to a cave or "tavern" where the early Osage boatmen used to put up (p. 372). Another version is that the best hunting in the early days was along this creek. There was always plenty of game. The hunters called it Tavern Creek because food and good water were as easy to get as in a tavern. (Schultz, 11 Conrad VI, 157; Thwaites EWT, XXVI, 76, 72, V41, XXII, Coue's Pike, 368, 372, 363; Geol. Mo., 193; Wetmore, 258; L.A. Burton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blackmer
Description:A discontinued post office in Glaze Township. Eaton (194), says it is a family name. (Postal Guide, 1892-1910; Maps 1904, 1924)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bliss
Description:A discontinued post office in central Franklin Township, sixteen miles west of Tuscumbia. A family name. (Postal Guide 1870; Schultz, 110; Map 1873; Campbell, 368; G. Schultz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blue Spring Baptist Church
Description:Central Franklin Township, organized in 1844. Also known as Blue Springs Church. Named for and located on Blue Spring Creek (q.v.). (Campbell, 368; Schultz, 83; J.H. Vernon)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blue Spring Creek
Description:Rises in Saline Township and empties into Little Gravois Creek. Named for a tributary spring which empties bluish water into it. (J.H. Vernon)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blue Springs Baptist Church
Description:See Blue Spring Baptist Church
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blythe's Creek
Description:A tributary of the South Moreau which rises in Saline Township. Also known as Blythe's Fork. The origin of the name could not be determined. (Geol. Miller, 18; Map 1874, 1904)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blythe's Fork
Description:See Blythe's Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blyze
Description:A discontinued post office in northeastern Richwoods Township. A family name. (Postal Guide 1901-1904; Cramm's Atlas: John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bobtown
Description:See Mary's Home.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bolan's Creek
Description:A branch of Big Tavern Creek in eastern Richwoods Township. Spelled Bolins and Bollins on maps 1914 and 1931. Originally spelled Bowlin's after the Bowlin family. (John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bolin School
Description:In Glaze Township. Discontinued and now consolidated with the School of the Osage (q.v.). Named for W.L. Bolin, who owned the land. (Mrs. Burl Henderson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bond School
Description:In Saline Township. Named for M.B. Bond, who owned the land. Formerly known as Pleasant Grove School, a descriptive name. (Eugene Bond; J.J. Bond)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bone Cave
Description:In Glaze Township near Brumley. So called because of the many bones that have been found in it. (Schultz, 132)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brays
Description:A discontinued post office in northeast Richwoods Township. Named for Tom Bray, who built a mill there in early days. (Postal Guide 1896- 1922; Maps 1904f; Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brewery Cave
Description:On Big Tavern Creek. So named because an old German ran a beer brewery in it for many years. (L.A. Burton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brockman
Description:A discontinued post office named for an old family. (Postal Guide 1892; G. Schultz; Judge Brockman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brockman's Ford
Description:Midway between Tuscumbia and Bagnell. Named for John M. Brockman, a pioneer settler. (Geol. Miller, 73; Judge Brockman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brouses Bend
Description:See Hoecker.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brown School
Description:In Richwoods Township. Named for the Brown family. (Alvis Bailey)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brumley
Description:A village on Mill Creek in central Glaze Township, with a post office since 1870. There was a store on the spot in 1868, and the place was known as Thompson's Store. It was later named, like Brumley Creek (q.v.), for the Brumley family, which had been prominent in local affairs since the beginnings of the county. Daniel Brumley settled in Miller County before 1838. William Carroll Brumley was sheriff and collector for the county after the Civil War. Schultz says that J.M. Hawkins laid out the town in 1877 and named it in honor of W.C. Brumley, under whom he was serving as deputy sheriff. Elsewhere, however, he says it was already one of the twelve post office's in the county in 1874. Eaton says it was laid out in 1869 and named for John Brumley, an early settler. Conard says it was laid out in 1858. It seems likely that Hawkins merely resurveyed the site, and that it already had the name Brumley. It was also known as Mill Creek for the creek on which it is located. Misspelled Brumly in Handbook Missouri 1881. (Postal Guide 1870f; Schultz, 15, 16; Campbell's HIST. COLE etc., 570; G. Schultz; Conard, I, 407; Handbook Missouri 1881, 195)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brumley Creek
Description:A tributary of the Grand Auglaize in Glaze Township, south of Brumley. Named for the Brumley family. (G. Schultz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brumly
Description:See Brumley.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:Rises in Saline Township and empties into the South Moreau River. Named from the thick growth of brush along its banks. (Priest Allee)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brushy Creek
Description:See Brushy Fork Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brushy Fork
Description:See Brushy Fork Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brushy Fork Creek
Description:Rises in Glaze Township and empties into Big Tavern Creek. Also known as Brushy Fork and Brushy Creek. Named from the thick growth of brush along its banks. (Maps 1873f; Jas. W. Dinwiddie)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cainby
Description:A discontinued post office in eastern Osage Township said to have been named by Tom Doublikan for Cainby, England, which adjoined his old home, Claxby, England; but neither name appears in any available English Atlas or gazetteer. (Postal Guide 1896, 1897, 1910; Clifford Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Capps
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Osage Township, on the Osage River. The town was named for Jacob Capps, who at one time operated a ferry there and was a pioneer Baptist preacher. Also known as Ramsey for George Ramsey of Jefferson City, who bought many railroad ties there. (Postal Guide 1893-1910; Schultz, 16; Map 1904; L.A. Baton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Carroll
Description:A discontinued post office. A family name. (Postal Guide 1896; John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cat-tail Creek
Description:A tributary of Dog Creek. It rises in Equality Township. The origin of the name could not be determined. Obviously from the plant. (Meek's Map 1873; Geol. Miller, 117)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cavern Creek
Description:See Big Tavern Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Central Baptist Church
Description:Originated in 1900. In Saline Township. So named because it was near the center of its membership. (Schultz, 83; Dave Graham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Central Point School
Description:In Franklin Township. Probably so named because it is near the central point of the divide between the Missouri and Osage Rivers. (John M. Bunch)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Charlestown
Description:See St. Elizabeth.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Charleytown
Description:See St. Elizabeth.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Chester
Description:See Olean.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clark School
Description:About four miles southeast of Capps. A family name. (Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Claxby
Description:A discontinued post office in Osage Township, on Big Tavern Creek. Said to have been named by Tom Doublikan in whose house the first post office was located, for his old home, Claxby, England; but no such place is to be found in any available English atlas or gazetteer. (Postal Guide 1893-1904; Map 1914; Henry Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clinger Creek
Description:See Klinger Cave.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clinking Beard Hollow
Description:Near the south county line at the head of Big Tavern Creek. A corruption of the family name, Clinkenbeard. (Maps 1914, 1931; G. Schultz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Concord Baptist Church
Description:Established in 1873 at Gott's Graveyard. A ideal name. (HIST. COLE etc., 580)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Coon Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River between Panther and Dog Creeks. There used to be many raccoons along its banks. (Geol. Miller, 15; L.A. Barton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cooper
Description:A station on the Missouri-Pacific Railroad in Franklin Township between Eldon and Bagnell. Named for Joel Cooper, who owned the land. (Maps 1904f; James R. Pruitt)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cooper School
Description:Three miles south of Eldon. Named for Joel Cooper, who owned the land. (James R. Pruitt)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cotton
Description:See Cotton's Spur.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cottons
Description:See Cotton's Spur.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cotton's Spur
Description:A station on the Missouri-Pacific Railroad north of Bagnell in Franklin Township. Listed in RAND MC NALLY'S COMMERCIAL ATLAS (1935), as Cotton. Shown as Cotton's in CRAM'S ATLAS 1904 and 1924. Named for a Mr. Cotton, who owned the land. (James R. Pruitt)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cove
Description:See Olean.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Crabtree Cave
Description:On the Osage River near the mouth of Tavern Creek. Named for a Civil War bandit, who used it for a hiding place. (Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cross School
Description:Three miles east of Iberia. A family name. (E.M. Durham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cub Creek
Description:A small creek in Jim Henry Township, emptying into the Osage River. Obviously an animal name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Curry School
Description:Seven miles southwest of Iberia. A family name. (E.M. Durham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Curry's Christian Church
Description:Seven miles southwest of Iberia. Named for the Curry family. (E.M. Durham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Curty School
Description:See Cageville School
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Damsite
Description:A (Union Electric) company town started in 1829 for the workers near the site of the Osage Dam in Franklin Township. The name is obviously a pun.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Devil's Tea Table
Description:At Hoecker on the Osage River. A large rock similar to a table. (Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dog Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in Equality Township. According to a local story a hunter was attacked by a dog here in early days, and the creek was named for this reason. (Maps 1873f; L.A. Barton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dorl Spring
Description:Five miles north of Tuscumbia. Named for Godlup Dorl, the present owner. Formerly known as Shackleford Spring for John Shackleford, who owned the land for many years. (John Stark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Auglaize
Description:A branch of the Grand Auglaize (q.v.), (cf. Wet Auglaize, q.v.). Also known as the Dry Glaize. It does not flow in dry weather, but stands in pools. (Jas. W. Dinwiddie)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Glaize
Description:See Dry Auglaize
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Eldon
Description:In southwestern Saline Township on the Missouri-Pacific and Rock Island Railroads. The largest town in the county. (Population 3,171, 1930 census). It was laid out in 1881 and incorporated in 1904. The place was first named Elmira for the wife of G.R. Weeks, an early settler, but this name was rejected by the post office dpartment because there was another Elmira in Missouri (in Ray County). It is said that Eldon was the given name of a surveyor for one of the railroads. (HIST. COLE etc.; E.P. Weeks; John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Elliott School
Description:In Richwoods Township. Named for the Elliott family. (Alvis Bailey; E.A. Condra)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Elm Spring Baptist Church
Description:Three miles southeast of Bagnell. Originated about 1850. There is a spring there and elm trees. (John Jones)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Elm Spring School
Description:Near Elm Spring Church, for which it is named. (John Jones)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Elmira
Description:See Eldon.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Equality Township
Description:The middle Township of the county. It contains the county seat, Tuscumbia. It was formed late in 1837. Includes old Reed Township (q.v.). Obviously an ideal name. (HIST. COLE etc., 541)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Etter
Description:See Etterville
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Etterville
Description:A village post office in Saline Township, on the Rock Island Railroad. Listed as Etter in Postal Guide 1904; Eaton says it was named for a prominent local family. Mr. Schultz says it was named for Samuel Etter, who owned a still near there at an early date. (Eaton, 194; HIST. COLE etc., 537; Postal Guide 1904f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fair Play
Description:A discontinued post office in Jim Henry Township, on the Osage River. Schultz lists it as a post office in 1860 and 1874 (164, 166). Obviously an ideal name. (Map 1837)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fairview Christian Church
Description:In Richwoods Township. A descriptive name. (Mrs. Josie Atwell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Faith
Description:A discontinued post office in southwest Richwoods Township. The Ralls family owns the land on which Faith was located. A daughter of the first settler was named Faith for whom the place was probably named. (Postal Guide 1901-1904; R.M. 1935; W.C. Brumley)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Faulkner
Description:The place could not be located nor could the origin of the name be determined. (Postal Guide 1902)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fencher Hollow
Description:In Osage Township. A family name. (Geol. Miller, 23; Judge Brockman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flanders Cave
Description:Six miles south of Eldon. Named by Chas. Fleetwood for Flanders Field in Belgium, because he thought there was a resemblance. Doubtless he had in mind John McCrae's poem about "Flanders field, where poppies blow." Formerly known as Agee Cave for William Agee, who owned it for a short time. (John Stark, Jas R. Pruitt)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flatwood
Description:A discontinued post office in Equality Township. Probably named for Flatwoods Baptist Church (q.v.). (Postal Guide 1891; E.A. Condra)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flatwoods Baptist Church
Description:See Harmony Church.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flatwoods Methodist Church
Description:See Harmony Church.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fletcher School
Description:In Glaze Township on Little Bear Creek. Named for a Mr. Fletcher, who owned the land. (J. Burton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Franklin School
Description:In Franklin Township. Named for an old family. (Jas. R. Pruitt)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Franklin Township
Description:The west Township. Originated in 1860. Named for an early family prominent in politics. (John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gageville
Description:An old lead mining settlement in Saline Township. Now defunct. Named for a Mr. Gage, who was superintendant of the mine. Also known as the Hackney Diggings. In 1872 W.A. Hackney opened a shaft here. (Geol. Miller, 171; PEOPLES TRIBUNE, March 31, 1880; Dave Graham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gageville School
Description:In Saline Township. Named for the old town of Gageville (q.v.). Originally known as Curty School for David Curty, who owned the land. (Dave Graham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gardner Branch
Description:See Lenox Branch.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ginger Ridge School
Description:In Equality Township. Much wild ginger grew in early days near the school, which is built on a ridge. (John Harrison)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Glaize
Description:See Grand Auglaize.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Glaze
Description:See Grand Auglaize.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Glaze Township
Description:The south Township formed in 1838. A corruption of Auglaize. Named for the creek. (q.v.). (Schultz, 16)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Glenwood Baptist Church
Description:Originated in 1901, in Saline Township. A descriptive name. (Schultz, 83; Dave Graham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Goodmans
Description:An abandoned station on the Missouri-Pacific Railroad in the northern part of Saline Township. Also known as Goodman's Spur. Named for Captain Joseph Goodman, who owned a large farm here. The railroad built a spur here for the convenience of Captain Goodman and his neighbors. (Priest Allee; John Ferguson; Maps 1904, 1914)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Goodman's Spur
Description:See Goodmans.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gott Christian or "New Light" Church
Description:An early church known as "New Light" denomination, four miles north of Brumley. It was originated in 1873 and named for Jesse Gott, who donated fifteen acres for the church and graveyard. (Jes. W. Dinwiddie)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Grand Auglaize Creek
Description:A tributary of the lake of the Ozarks formed by the Dry Auglaize and the Wet Auglaize. It rises in Camden County, and though it is not the largest tributary, it forms the largest arm of the lake. Often Grand Glaize, Grand Glaze, Glaize, or Glaze. Schultz says it is marked "R. Grande Glaize" on a French map dated 1802 in the Library of Congress. Augalize is a French phrase meaning "at the clay" or "at the loam." The French word for loam or clay is now spelled glaze, (potter's earth). There is much clay near the headwaters of the creek. In the spring of the year, when the waters rise, they are as red as blood. Probably the early Frenchmen who named it, saw it at this stage. (Schultz, 14; Jas. W. Dinwiddie; Littre)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Grand Glaize
Description:See Grand Auglaize.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Green Ridge Baptist Church
Description:Originated in 1868, in Saline Township near Olean. The name is descriptive of its situation. (Schultz, 83; HIST. COLE etc., 580; Priest Allee)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gum Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River from the north between Saline and Lick Creeks. There are many gum trees along its banks. (Geol. Miller, 15; James Wright)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gussie
Description:An abandoned village in Glaze Township, on the Osage River. The origin of the name could not be determined. It is probably from the feminine christian name. (Maps 1914, 1931)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hackney Diggings
Description:See Gageville.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hanging Rock Branch
Description:See Hanging Rock Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hanging Rock Creek
Description:See Humphrey's Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Harbison School
Description:In Saline Township. Named for William Harbison, who owned the land. (Dave Graham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Harmony Church
Description:In Equality Township. The church has burned down and been disorganized. The building was used by both Baptists and Methodists. The two congregations are said to have gotten along always in harmony, hence the name. Originally each denomination had its own church building. They were known as the Flatwoods churches. Flatwoods Baptist Church was organized in 1872 and Flatwoods Methodist Church somewhat later. They were so named probably because they stood in wooded flats. (HIST. COLE etc., 580; E.A. Condra; Jas. R. Pruitt; Judge Brockman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Harmony School
Description:Near Harmony Church and named for it. (Jas. R. Pruitt)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hawkeye
Description:An abandoned village and post office in southwest Richwoods Township. John Keith built a store there and named the place Hawkeye probably because of the distance one can see from the place. It is the highest point in the county. (Postal Guide 1895- 1897; G. Schultz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hickory Point Baptist Church
Description:Near Hickory Point Christian Church (q.v.).
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hickory Point Christian Church
Description:Eleven miles south of Tuscumbia. Schultz says it was established in 1849. HIST. COLE etc., says it was established in 1878. It is located on a "point" of land on which are hickory trees. (C.B. Bass)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hickory Point School
Description:Near the Hickory Point churches and named for them.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hicks School
Description:Near St. Anthony. A family name. (E.M. Durham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hoecker
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Jim Henry Township, on the Rock Island Railroad and the Osage River. Established in 1902. Named for James Hoecker, first postmaster. Formerly called Brouses Bend for Thomas Brouse, who entered a tract of land along the Osage River in 1837. (Schultz, 82; G. Schultz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Holder School
Description:Seven miles southwest of Eldon. A family name. (Jas. R. Pruitt)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Honey Springs School
Description:In Glaze Township. There is a small spring nearby, but nothing else about the name could be discovered. (E.A. Condra; Judge Brockman; Mrs. Spearman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hopewell Church of Christ
Description:In Osage Township. Originated about 1885. An ideal name. (R.A. Helton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Horseshoe Cave
Description:One quarter mile west of Aurora Cave. It is a horseshoe-shaped tunnel with two openings. (John Stark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Howell School
Description:One mile south of Ulman. A family name. (Jas. W. Dinwiddie)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Humphrey's Christian Church
Description:Originated in 1855, near Capps. Named for the creek on which it is located. (L.A. Barton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Humphrey's Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in Osage Township. A family name. Also known as Hanging Rock Creek and Hanging Rock Branch for the locally famous hanging rock at its mouth of the Osage River. (Coues, 373; Meek's Map; L.A. Barton; Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hymen Branch
Description:See Whalen Branch.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Iberia
Description:A town in southern Richwoods Township. There was a store there about 1838 and a post office as early as 1851 (probably earlier). Iberia is the ancient name for Spain. The tradition that the town was named by Civil War veterans for New Iberia, Louisiana, where they had been stationed, is clearly erroneous. Iberia appears on maps of Missouri, 1844 and 1845 and in Jefferson City newspapers 1842 and 1860. It was originally called Rocktown for the large rocks fringing the town. At one time it was known as Oakhurst. It was also known as Big Richwoods, because the surrounding land is of excellent quality and has a growth of timber larger than in most of the nearby country. Misspelled Ibernia in HANDBOOK MISSOURI. The name may of course have been borrowed from New Iberia or from Iberia Parish, Louisiana, at an earlier date. It is also found in Ohio. (Schultz, 15, 16, 75, 174; HIST. COLE, etc., 561, 542; Sauer, 38; Colton 1845; Conard VIII, 344; Campbell 1874; Mo. Gaz.; Hanbook Mo., 195; Geol. Mo., 128)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jeffries School
Description:One mile south of Kaiser. A family name. (J. Burton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jim Henry Cave
Description:Not far from Jim Henry School. It is a cavity big enough to hold an ordinary house under a large rock. It is named for Jim Henry, the Indian, who lived in this cave for many years. Also known as the Rockhouse. (John Rush)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jim Henry Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in the township of the same name. (q.v.).
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jim Henry Methodist Church
Description:In the Township of the same name (q.v.). Organized about 1840. Also known as Rush Chapel for the Rush family. (John Rush)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jim Henry School
Description:In the Township of the same name (q.v.), for which it is named.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jim Henry Township
Description:The northeast Township. In 1838 Saline Township was divided and Jim Henry Township was formed. It was named for a noted Indian chief, Jim Henry, who lived in a cave named for him in this section in early days. (HIST. COLE etc., 530)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:Four miles south of Iberia. A family name. (E.M. Durham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kaiser
Description:A village post office in western Glaze Township. A family name. During the World War an unsuccessful effort was made to change the name to Success, obviously an ideal name. (Postal Guide 1910f; Maps 1910f; John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Keethtown
Description:A village in eastern Glaze Township. Named for William Keeth, the first storekeeper. Also known as Bentown for Ben Lutrall, who kept a store there at one time. (Tom Keeth; G. Schultz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kempker School
Description:Near Mary's Home. Named for John H. Kempker, who owned the land. (Herman Schulte)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Keyes School
Description:Two miles east of Ulman. Named for A.C. Keyes, who donated the land. (C.B. Bass)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:King's Bluff
Description:On the Osage River four miles below Tuscumbia. It is said to be 40 ft. high with all but six feet of its face under water. The origin of the name could not be determined. (Geol. Miller, 23; E.A. Condra; Judge Brockman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Klindt School
Description:See Pleasant Ball School.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Klinger Cave
Description:Near the head of Little Saline Creek on Edgar Vernon's farm. Also spelled Clinger Cave. Named for a Mr. Klinger, who bought forty acres including the cave as a business venture. (Geol. Miller, 12; McCanse, 42; J.H. Vernon)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Klug Cave
Description:In Jim Henry Township on the Osage River. Named for the Klug family, the owners. (L.A. Barton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lake Benton
Description:See Lake of the Ozarks.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lake McClurg
Description:See Lake of the Ozarks.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lake of the Ozarks
Description:One of the largest artificial lakes in the world. It is partly in Miller County. It is formed by the Osage Dam in Miller County across the Osage River. By act of the General Assembly of Missouri it was named Lake Benton for Missouri's statesman, Thomas H. Benton (1772-1858), who was a United States Senator from Missouri for thirty years. J.W. Vincent, editor of the Linn Creek REVEILLE, made an effort to have it called Lake McClurg after Governor J.W. McClurg (b. 1818), who was governor of Missouri from 1868-1870. The name designated by the builders, "The Lake of the Ozarks" has come into popular use. The lake is 125 miles long and has about 1,300 miles of shore line. It is located in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains for which it is named. (History of Chariton 36; Schultz, 15; McCanse, 76; History of Chariton 46-48)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lake Ozark
Description:A post office established in 1932 on the southwest side of the Osage Dam, named by Frank Andrews, the first postmaster, for the lake which it is near. Also known as Lakeside for a time (1929-31). (Schultz, 15; McCanse, 76)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lakeside
Description:See Lake Ozark.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Laurel Ridge School
Description:In Franklin Township. Named by Miss Texana Curty, the first teacher. It stands on a ridge. (John M. Bunch)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lawson School
Description:Three miles west of Tuscumbia. A family name. (John Jones)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lead Creek
Description:In the southwest corner of Jim Henry Township. Lead has been mined in many parts of Jim Henry Township. (Map 1873; G. Schultz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lenox Branch
Description:In Richwoods Township. Empties into Big Tavern Creek. Named for Wilson Lenox, who was elected representative to the Legislature in 1858. Also known as Gardner Branch, which is a family name. Also known as Rabbit Head Branch. A local yarn is told to account for this name. A man named Bailey particularly liked the head of a rabbit. He shot a rabbit and his wife refused to cook the head. He whipped her. (HIST. COLE etc., 539; Maps 1873f; G. Schultz; John Ferguson; E.M. Durham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Liberty (Church of Christ) Church
Description:Four miles south of Tuscumbia. Originated in 1867. An ideal name. (HIST. COLE etc., 580)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lick Branch
Description:See Whalen Branch.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lick Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River from the north between Gun Creek and Little Gravois Creek. Named for early artificial deer licks on it. Artificial deer licks were "salted" sticks driven into the ground, flush with the surface. (Geol. Miller, 15; Meek's Map; Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Bear Creek
Description:Heads in Glaze Township and empties into the Osage River. It is near and distinctly smaller than Bear Creek (q.v.).
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Gravois
Description:A village in southern Franklin Township, near the mouth of Little Gravois Creek, for which it is obviously named. It was a post office in 1874. (Map 1837; Campbell, 369)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Gravois Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in Franklin Township, smaller than Gravois Creek in Morgan County. Gravois is a French word meaning coarse plaster, rubbish, or rubbish of plaster. It seems likely that the early Frenchman thought the gravel of this stream suitable for rough plaster. Misspelled Grovoix in Handbook Missouri. (Littre; Coues, 375; Schultz, 14; Handbook Mo., 195)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Richwoods
Description:See Watkins. Cf. Big Richwoods.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Saline Creek
Description:A tributary of Saline Creek in Equality Township (q.v.).
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Tavern Creek [1 of 2]
Description:Rises in Cole County and empties into the Osage River just inside the Miller County line across from the mouth of Big Tavern Creek (q.v.). It is distinctly smaller than Big Tavern Creek. (Maps 1873f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Tavern Creek [2 of 2]
Description:Another Little Tavern Creek, tributary of Big Tavern Creek (q.v.), in Osage Township. It rises in Maries County. (Maps 1873f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Locust Mount
Description:A discontinued post office in eastern Saline Township, about two miles east of Spring Garden. It was situated on a sort of mound, and locust trees grew there. Schultz erroneously says it is an alternative name for Spring Garden. (Postal Guide 1870, 1876; Schultz, 15, 82; J.J. Bond)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lurton School
Description:Seven miles east of Tuscumbia. Named for J.D. Lurton, who owned the land. (L.A. Barton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mace School
Description:One mile west of Iberia. A family name. (C.B. Bass)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Madden Christian Church
Description:Five miles south of Iberia. Named for the Madden family. (E.M. Durham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Madden School
Description:Three miles south of Iberia. A family name. (E.M. Durham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Manning School
Description:In Saline Township. Named for a pioneer family. (J.E. Hite)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mary's Home
Description:A discontinued post office in Jim Henry Township. Started when Morgan and Jenkins built a store there in 1882 at about the same time that St. Mary's Catholic Church was erected. The town is referred to as St. Mary Home in Catholic Reg., March 19, 1925, p. 3. The town was first known as St. Mary's. Confusion with mail for St. Maries in Maries County caused the change. Also known as Bobtown for Robert (Bob), Morgan who donated the land for the church. (Postal Guide 1886-1918; HIST. COLE etc., 571; Mrs. H.H. Tellman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mill Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A tributary of the Grand Auglaize below Brumley. At one time there was a mill on it. (John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mill Creek [2 of 2]
Description:See Brumley.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Milldale United Brethren Church
Description:Two and one-half miles south of Pleasant Mount. Originated in 1887. There was a mill there at one time. (HIST. COLE etc., 580; Dave Graham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Miller County
Description:South of Cole County near the center of Missouri. On the north are Cole and Moniteau Counties on the east are Osage and Maries Counties, on the west is Morgan County, on the southwest is Camden, on the south is Pulaski. Originated February 6, 1837 by act of the state legislature, before which it was a part of Cole County, and named in honor of John Miller (1781-1846), fourth governor of Missouri, 1826-1832. John Miller was a colonel under General Harrison in the War of 1812 and a member of Congress 1826-1842. The county was first settled in 1815 by Seneca R.Y. Day and others. (Laws of Missouri, February 6, 1837; Parker, 321; Conard, 384-386)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Miller School
Description:In Saline Township. Named for P.S. Miller who owned the land on which the school was built. (Priest Allee)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mount Carmel Baptist Church
Description:Established in 1904. Mt. Carmel was the place where Elijah defeated the priests of Baal. The name means "The park" or fruitful place. (Schultz, 83; 1 Kings xvii. 19-40)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mount Herman Baptist Church
Description:In Saline Township. Established in 1872. Probably named (though misspelled), for Mount Hermon mentioned in the Bible. The refreshing dews of Hermon are used to illustrate how good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity. (Psa. 133:3) It is another name for Mt. Zion. (Deut. iv. 48) (Schultz, 83)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mount Herman School
Description:In Saline Township. Located near and named for the church (q.v.).
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mount Pleasant
Description:See Pleasant Mount.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mount Vernon Baptist Church
Description:One of the first, if not the first, church in the county. Established in the early 1840s (about 1840). Named for the Vernon family. The use of the term "Mount" suggests that there was also an association, or "contamination, " with George Washington's home in Virginia. (Conard, 386; Schultz, 83; J.H. Vernon)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mount Zion Colored Baptist Church
Description:At Olean. Established in 1873. Mt. Zion was one of the hills on which Jerusalem was built. (HIST. COLE etc., 580)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mt. View Church of Christ
Description:In Richwoods Township. Established about 1910. The name is descriptive. (R.A. Helton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mt. Zion Congregational Church
Description:In Osage Township. Originated about 1885. Cf. Mt. Zion Col. Baptist Church. (R.A. Helton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Multnomah
Description:See Pleasant Mount.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:New Hope Baptist Church
Description:One mile south of Kaiser. Originated about 1885. An ideal name. (Jas. W. Dinwiddie)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:New Hope Pentecost Church
Description:One mile south of Kaiser. Originated in 1932. An ideal name. (Jas. W. Dinwiddie)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:New Salem Baptist Church
Description:Originated in 1868. Salem was an earlier name of Jerusalem. (Gen. xiv. 18) (Schultz, 83)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oak Hill Christian Church
Description:Three miles southwest of Iberia. A descriptive name. (E.M. Durham)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oakhurst
Description:See Iberia.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Olean
Description:A town in the northern part of Saline Township, on the Missouri-Pacific Railroad. It was laid out in the winter of 1881-1882, when the railroad came through by H.S. Burlingame and James G. Proctor, who were early settlers there. Proctor, for the founder, was the first name proposed, but since there was another Proctor in Missouri the name of the post office was changed to Cove, selected becausue the site had long been known as "the cove" because of its semicircular shape surrounded by hills. This name was unsatisfactory because of another post office of similar spelling. Chester, a stock American place-name, found in more than thirty states, was suggested, but the railroad rejected because of another station on its line similar in spelling. Finally, it is said, Dr. W.S. Allee suggested this name of his hometown Olean, in Cattaragus County, New York. The New York town was named with reference to oil springs in the vicinity. (Schultz, 79; Postal Guide 1886f; Priest Allee; J.E. Hite; Gaumett, 230)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Osage Dam
Description:Also known as Bagnell Dam for the town of Bagnell, which is the nearest railroad point. It is the large hydroelectric dam and power plant between Equality and Franklin Townships across the Osage River. It forms the Lake of the Ozarks (q.v.). Named for the Osage River. (q.v.), which it dams. It was completed in 1931. (McCanse, 96)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Osage River
Description:The largest stream in the county, it rises in Kansas and flows into the Missouri River. It runs in a general easterly direction across Miller County. The Osages called themselves Wa-ca-ce meaning "people," but were known to others as the Pa-he-tsi (campers on the mountain), and Utseh-ta (campers on the lowland). Marquette spelled the word Ouchage and Autrechaun. On Franqulm's map it is Zages. By Penicaut it is spelled Huzzaus, Ous, Wauhas. It is also Oua-chage meaning "the strong." The name Osage is of French origin, a corruption of the Indian name for the tribe. It derives its name from the Great and Little Osage Indians. (Houck, I, 178; Schultz, 14; Schoolcraft, 104; Thwaites EWT, XIV, 144; HIST. COLE etc., 644)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Osage Township
Description:The east township named for the river (q.v.), which forms part of its northern boundary.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pack Hollow
Description:In Osage Township near Big Tavern Creek. Named for Anderson Pack, a steamboat pilot, who settled there. (Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Panther Creek
Description:A tributary of the Osage River in Osage Township. Obviously named for the animal. (Coues, 373; Meek's Map; Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Peter Humphrey Hollow
Description:Near Big Tavern Creek in Osage Township. Named for the first settler there. (Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pisgah Christian Church
Description:Could not be found. A mountain on the east of the Jordan River from which Moses viewed the promised land. (Deut. xxxiv. 1) (HIST. COLE etc., 580)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pisgah School
Description:In Osage Township. Church services were often held in this school in early days, which may account for the Bible name. Cf. Pisgah Christian Church. (R.A. Helton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Ball School
Description:Six miles north of Tuscumbia. So named because it is built on a limestone "ball." Formerly known as Klindt School for John Klindt, who owned the land. (Herman Schulte)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Farm
Description:A discontinued post office in Richwoods Township. Obviously a descriptive name. Sometimes written Pleasantfarm. (Postal Guide 1867-1904)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Grove Baptist Church
Description:In southern Franklin Township. The name is descriptive, although there is nothing unusual about its situation. (Mrs. R.R. Barron)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School [1 of 2]
Description:See Bond School.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School [2 of 2]
Description:In southern Franklin Township. Now defunct. Named for the church (q.v.) which it is near. (Mrs. R.R. Barron)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Hill Christian Church
Description:In Richwoods Township. A descriptive name. (HIST. COLE etc., 580)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:One half mile east of Eldon. A descriptive name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Hill United Baptist Church
Description:Near Mary's Home. Originated in 1885; a descriptive name. (HIST. COLE etc., 580)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Mount
Description:A discontinued post office in Saline Township. Andrew Burris opened a store there in 1831 and laid out the town in 1838. In 1846 the citizens of the Township met to discus the establishment of a post office there. They decided on the name Multnomah, which means running water, but apparently it was never used, and the post office was called Pleasant Mount, from its situation. It is listed as a post office as early as 1851 by Schultz, who says it was Mount Pleasant in 1860 and Pleasant Mount again in 1874. The original town is extinct, but a nearby, small village still bears its name. Appears as Pleasant Mound in Mo. Gaz. 1860. Pleasantmount in 1902 Postal Guide (Schultz, 79, 80, 164, 166; HIST. COLE etc., 568; Postal Guide 1853-1904; Eaton, 194; Mo. Gaz.; Campbell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Post Oak School
Description:East of Bagnell. On the site of an old post oak thicket. (Chas. Bradley)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Proctor
Description:See Olean.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rabbit Head Creek
Description:See Lenox Branch.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rabbit Head School
Description:Two miles north of Iberia on Rabbit Head Creek, for which it is obviously named.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ramsey [1 of 2]
Description:Another Ramsey. An abandoned post office about three miles south of Capps on Humphrey Creek. Named for another Geo. Ramsey (cf. Capps), the first settler on Humphrey Creek. (Postal Guide 1886-1904; Maps 1904f; John Ferguson; L.A. Barton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ramsey [2 of 2]
Description:See Capps.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ramsey Cave
Description:Near the town of Ramsey and named for the same family. In 1929 a party dug for seven pony loads of gold supposedly buried in Ramsey Cave during the Civil War. None was ever found so far as is known. (Schultz, 132; John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Red School
Description:See Baumhoer School.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reed School
Description:Two miles east of Kaiser. Named for George Reed, on whose land the school was built. (Jas. W. Dinwiddie)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Reed Township
Description:Late in 1834 Equality Township (q.v.), was divided and Reed Township created, but it was soon abolished. Named for Richard Reed who was prominent in early politics. (HIST. COLE etc., 541; John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Richwoods Township
Description:In the southeast corner of the county. Named for Big Richwoods (q.v.). (Schultz, 16)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Riverside
Description:Also known as Riverside Park. In northeastern Jim Henry Township, on the Osage River. Obviously named from its location.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Riverside Park
Description:See Riverside.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Riverview Baptist Church
Description:In Glaze Township on Highway 54. A new church was built on the present site by the Union Electric Company because nearly all the members had to move when the lake went in. From the old site the river (Osage), could be seen. (Jno. Jones)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Riviere a la Caverne
Description:See Big Tavern Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Riviere Grande Glaize
Description:See Grand Auglaize.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Riviere Saline
Description:See Saline Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rockhouse
Description:See Jim Henry Cave.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rocktown
Description:See Iberia.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rocky Mound
Description:See Rocky Mount.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rockymount
Description:A village in western Franklin Township; one of the first post offices in the county. The site was entered by a Mr. Solomon late in the 1840s, and a store was soon opened. The name was suggested from the character of the divide between the Osage and Missouri Rivers upon which it is located. The post office is now located across the line in Morgan County. From 1876-1896 Rockymount was two words, Rocky Mount. Appears as Rocky Mound in Goodwin, 35. (Postal Guide 1853f; HIST. COLE etc., 571; Schultz, 82, Eaton, 195)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rolling Creek
Description:See Rollins Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rollins Creek
Description:A tributary of Brumley Creek in Glaze Township. Also known as Rolling Creek, perhaps a popular etymology for the unfamiliar name. The origin of the name could not be determined. (Maps 1914, 1931; John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rush Chapel
Description:See Jim Henry Methodist Church.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Saline Creek
Description:Rises in Saline Township and empties into the Osage River. Saline is a French word meaning salt, salt-works, or salty. It is shown, Schultz says, on a French map in the Library of Congress as "R. Saline" (1802). So far as can be ascertained, there was no salt in this section, but there may have been salt "licks" or "salines" in the neighborhood. Cf. Saline Township in Cooper and Ralls Counties and see Lick Creek above. (Schultz, 14; Littre; Cf. theses by Miss Pace and Miss Leech)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Saline Township
Description:The northwest Township of the county. Named for the creek which heads in it. (Schultz, 16)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Saline Valley Christian Church
Description:Three miles north of Tuscumbia. Built in 1924. It is in the valley of Little Saline Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sand Hill School
Description:In Saline Township. The original building about 1/4 mile from the present school, was built on a sandstone bluff. When the school was moved, it retained the old name. The school is discontinued. (Priest Allee; J.E. Hite)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sandstone Creek
Description:A tributary of Bolan's Creek in Richwood Township. There is much sandstone along the creek. (Geol. Mo., 122; Meek's Map)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sandstone Hollow
Description:In Osage Township. The name is descriptive. (Geol. Miller, 29; Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sanning School
Description:Near Mary's Home. Named for John H. Sanning, who owned the land. (Herman Schulte)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:School of the Osage
Description:In Glaze Township near the Osage Dam. A consolidated high school. It is so named because it is near the Osage Rver. Also, the athletic teams are called Indians, and Indian decorations are used at banquets and other school functions. This was the country of the Osage Indians. Formerly known as Bolin School (q.v.). (Mrs. Burl Henderson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shackleford Spring
Description:See Dorl Spring.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shanzmeyer School
Description:In Jim Henry Township. A family name. (John Luetkemeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shut-in-Branch
Description:In Equality Township. A slough on the banks of which J.P. and J.B. Harrison had built a store before the former donated the land for the county seat. I is said that when the river gets high, this slough rises and keeps the people living near "shut-in" their houses. The term "shut-in" is used all over Ozark country to mean a canyon or a place where a stream is walled in by rock which it has cut through. (Schultz, 15; Sauer, 10; McCanse, 12; John Ferguson)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Skinner School
Description:Five miles south of Eldon. Named for Jas. Skinner, on whose land the school was built. (Jas. R. Pruitt)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:South Moreau
Description:A stream which rises in Saline Township. It drains the northwest part of the county and joins the North Moreau to form the Moreau River, a tributary of the Missouri River. Jean Moreau, brother of a boy who had been kidnapped from Cote sans Dassein by Indians, started up this stream looking for his brother. He never returned and the stream was ever after known as the Moreau for him. (Maps 1873f; J.O. Trib., July 16, 1889, 4-6)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spearman School
Description:Four miles west of Iberia. Named for the Spearman family. (Mrs. Spearman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spring Garden
Description:A discontinued post office in eastern Saline Township on the site of the first store in Miller County. The town began with the establishement of the Miller County Institute in 1868. It was named by William Miller and William P. Dixon for Spring Garden in the southern part of Virginia. Schultz erroneously says that it was known for a time as Locust Mount. (Postal Guide 1867; G.W. Lane) (Schultz, 15, 82; J.J. Bond)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Anthony
Description:An abandoned post office in northern Richwoods Township. Named for St. Anthony's Church (q.v.). Spelled St. Antony in Schultz, 82. (Postal Guide 1910-1928)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Anthony's Church
Description:A Catholic Church at the town of St. Anthony. Established in 1906 and named for St. Anthony of Padua (1195-1231), the hermit. (Cath. Reg., April 2, 1925, pp. 2, 3; Cath. Enc.; Reverend Herman J. Mayer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Antony
Description:See St. Anthony.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Elizabeth
Description:A town in southern Jim Henry Township. The original plot of the town was filed in 1875, and it was then known as Charlestown and Charleytown in honor of Charley Holtschneider of Westphalia, Osage County, who donated the land for the large Catholic Church erected there. The name of the local parish, St. Lawrence, was suggested for the post office when it was established, but the post office department objected because there was already a post office in Missouri named Lawrenceton. (St. Lawrence, the martyr, died 258). It was then named for St. Elizabeth's Church (q.v.). The present parish of St. Lawrnece was established in 1879. (Schultz, 16, 80; Cath. Enc.; Cath. Reg., March 19, 1925, p. 3; Reverend Herman J. Mayer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Elizabeth's Church
Description:The first Catholic church in the county, erected in 1870 on the site of the town of St. Elizabeth. It originally included territory now occupied by three parishes: Mary's Home, Charleytown and St. Anthony. The church was probably named for St. Elizabeth, queen of Hungary (1207-1231). (Schultz, 16, 80; Cath. Reg. March 19, 1925, p. 3; Cath. Enc.)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Lawrence
Description:See St. Elizabeth.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Mary Home
Description:See Mary's Home.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Mary's
Description:See Mary's Home.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Mary's Catholic Church
Description:Established in 1882 at Mary's Home (q.v.). Named for the Virgin Mary.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stark Cave
Description:South of Eldon. Named for Chas. Stark who entered the land. Also known as Aurora Cave because it is near Aurora Springs. (John Stark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stark Spring
Description:Four miles north of Tuscumbia. Named for Elisha Stark, father of the present owner. (John Stark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Struemph School
Description:Near St. Elizabeth. Named for Henry Struemph on whose land it is located. The spelling is doubtless anglicized from the German Struempf. (John Luetkemeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Success
Description:See Kaiser.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sugar Camp Hollow
Description:On Humphrey's Creek at Old Ramsey post office. A maple sugar camp used to be there. (Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sulphur Springs
Description:Four miles north of Tuscumbia. The water has a high sulphur content. (J.C. Peoples Tribune, August 17, 1870; Conard, 384; John Stark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Summitt
Description:A station on the railroad. Railroad in east Saline Township, east of Eldon. Probably so named because it is on a high place. (map 1904; E.A. Condra; Judge Brockman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sycamore Spring Hollow
Description:In Osage Township. A descriptive name. (Geol. Miller, 23; Judge Brockman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tappehorn Landing
Description:On the Osage River near St. Elizabeth. Named for William Tappehorn, who built a warehouse there. (Map 1904; L.A. Barton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tavern Creek
Description:See Big Tavern Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tavern Creek
Description:See Big Tavern Creek (Miller).
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Taverndale Church
Description:In Richwoods Township. It was abandoned many years ago. It was located on Big Tavern Creek (q.v.), for which it is obviously named. (Alvis Bailey)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Taylor School
Description:In Saline Township. Named for Brit Taylor who owned the land on which the school was built. (J.E. Hite)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Thompson's Store
Description:See Brumley.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Topping School
Description:Three miles south of Tuscumbia. Named for J.M. Topping, who owned the land. (C.B. Bass)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tuscumbia
Description:The county seat, located near the center of Equality Township. It was the first post office in the county, established in 1837. Eaton says it was named for a Chickasaw Indian chief. Schultz says it was probably named for Tuscumbia, Alabama, which is more likely. The Alabama town was doubtless named for the chieftain of this southern tribe. The name was derived from the Chickasaw word "Tash-ka-ambi" and means the "warrior who kills." Gannet says both towns were named for a Chickasaw Indian chief (p. 306). (Schultz, 15, 163; Eaton, 194)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ulman
Description:A post office in northeast Glaze Township. It was a post office, Schultz says, as early as 1857 and 1860, but it does not appear in Goodwin's Postal Guide of 1867. It was named for a Mr. Ulman, who became possessor of the land in 1842. Before 1896 it was known as Ulman's Ridge. Jefferson City newspaper 1857 says post office established at Ulman Ridge. (Postal Guide 1870f; Schultz, 15, 81; HIST. COLE etc., 571; Jefferson City Inquirer, May 2, 1857)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ulman's Ridge
Description:See Ulman.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Union Church
Description:In Richwoods Township. Originated about 1891. It is a union church used by the Adventists and others. (Mrs. Josie Atwell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vernon School
Description:Two miles east of Aurora Springs. Named for Wilbur Vernon, who gave the land and organized the school. (John Rush; Dave Graham; J.H. Vernon)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vernon Springs
Description:Two miles east of Aurora Springs. The county atlas shows seven Vernon farms near and touching it. Laid out by Wilbur Vernon in 1882 and named by him for the Vernon family. It never developed.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:One mile north of Bagnell. Named for the Walnut grove, in the midst of which it stands. (Jas. R. Pruitt)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Warren School
Description:Three miles south of Brumley. Named for John Warren, landowner. (C.C. Wornell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Watkins
Description:A village in northwestern Richwoods Township; post office established before 1910. The place was named for William Shelton Watkins, who settled near here before 1855. He was killed in a skirmish on his way to join the Confederate army of General Sterling Price. The post office was given his name at the request of his son James Watkins. The town was originally known as Little Richwoods. Cf. Big Richwoods. (Postal Guide 1910f; Schultz, 16; G. Schultz)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:West Aurora
Description:A station on the Missouri-Pacific Railroad about a half mile southwest of Aurora Springs in Franklin Township. It was laid out in 1882 by A.F. Armstrong when Aurora Springs was booming. A name of position. (HIST. COLE etc., 542)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wet Auglaize
Description:A branch of the Grand Auglaize (q.v.). It never goes dry. Cf. Dry Auglaize (q.v.). Also known as Wet Glaize. (Jas. W. Dinwiddie)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wet Glaize
Description:See Wet Auglaize.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Whalen Branch
Description:A tributary of the Osage River near St. Elizabeth. Named for an early family, who lived on the land. Also known as Hymen Branch for the family who now owns the land. Known in early days as Lick Branch for several artificial deer licks on it. (L.A. Barton; Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:White School
Description:In southeast Osage Township. So named becaue it is kept painted white. (Alvin Bailey)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wilson School
Description:In Osage Township. A family name. (John Leutkemeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wilson's Cave
Description:On Tavern Creek near the mouth of Barren Fork. Named for John Wilson, an eccentric character who settled here in 1822 and spent his first winter, together with his family, in this cave. He lived to be 100 years old (d1855), and, at his wish, his body was packed in salt in the coffin he had prepared and with a demijohn of good whiskey was placed in a small wing of the cave.The cave opening was walled up. It was supposed to be opened seven years after his death so that his friends could enjoy the contents of the demijohn, but it was not opened until about thirty years ago when vandals broke the seal. (Schultz, 129, 130; Conard, 385; J.C. People Tribune, No. 18, 1874)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wimmer Creek
Description:A tributary of Big Tavern Creek not far from Capps. Named for Jacob Wimmer, the first settler on the creek. (Tom Clark)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wright's Mill
Description:Two miles north of Tuscumbia. It was a flour mill, a woolen mill, and a lumber mill. Power was furnished by the large spring known as Wright's Spring. Named for Jas. L. Wright, who built and operated it. (O.W. Wright)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wright's School
Description:Three miles north of Tuscumbia. Named for Jas. L. Wright, who owned a mill below the spring. (O.W. Wright)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wright's Spring
Description:Two miles north of Tuscumbia. It is the largest spring in the county. Flows into Little Saline Creek. Named for J.L. Wright, who built a mill below it. (O.W. Wright)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names