McDonald County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Abo
Description:Appears as early as 1886in Postal Guide; discontinued 1887. (Postal Guide 1886)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Akehurst Hollow
Description:Named for a family who lived in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Alvarado
Description:A post office established in 1903 and discontinued between 1904-10. (Postal Guide)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Anderson (earlier Brown Spring)
Description:A post office established in 1887; 1. Named for Robert Anderson who owned the store where the post office was first located. 2. Eaton says that it was named for a nearby resident. 3. (1. Postal Guide 1887; 2. (R); 3. Eaton (46) III, p. 190)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Anderson School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Anderson Township
Description:Named for the town within its border. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Antioch School
Description:A transferred name from a church or hollow.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arch Cave Hollow
Description:Named for the cave found in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arnett
Description:A post office established in 1898 and discontinued between 1915-18. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arnolds Bluff
Description:A bluff possibly named for an early family, though there is no evidence of the fact. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Baladan
Description:A village and post office formerly located on the site of Indian Springs; when the resort sprang up in 1881 the old town of Baladan lost its name and identity. (R) (Goodspeed (19) 793)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Banner School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bannock
Description:A promising village on Buffalo Creek in the old days is said to have been named by Bill Roberts. (1.) Mr. Lee Russell, whose people lived in the vicinity years ago, says that the name means "some kind of Injun puddin'." (2.) (1. R (Sturges (20), p. 56), 2. (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barker Hollow
Description:Named for a family of Barkers who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barlow School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Hollow
Description:According to Mrs. Jasper Armstrong, Bear Hollow was so named because of the many black bears killed there. However, Mr. Story, another old resident of Bear Hollow neighborhood, says that the place may have been named for the Baer family, who lived there in the 1860s. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bear Ridge
Description:Named for the black bears found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beaver Hollow
Description:Named for the many beavers found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beaver Springs
Description:Named for the beavers which built near the spring. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beaver Valley
Description:Named for the numerous animals of that name in the valley. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bee Bluff
Description:Said to be named from the many swarms of wild bees which live in the cliff and in the trees near it. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beeman Hollow
Description:A hollow named for James Beean, who settled there between 1837 and 1840. (R (Sturges (37) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bentonville Hollow
Description:A hollow which takes its name from Bentonville, Arkansas, a nearby town where many McDonald County people do their trading. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethpage
Description:A post office established in the early 1880s and discontinued between 1904-1910. The name, according to the old residents, is a corruption of Bethphage, the name of a city mentioned in the Bible, Math. 21:1. (Postal Guide 1904, 1910; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Branch
Description:A stream which takes its name from its size. (W.T. Sallee; Jake Davis)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Branch Hollow
Description:Named for the stream which ran through the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Cedar Hollow
Description:The larger of the two Cedar Hollows, named for the many cedars growing there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Hollow
Description:Obviously named because of its size. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Rail Hollow
Description:Named for the "big" rails found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Sugar Creek
Description:The larger Sugar Creek derived its name from numerous groves of sugar maples which grew along its banks. (R (Sturges (20) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blackfoot Hollow
Description:The origin of the name of this hollow seems to be forgotten. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blackjack Hollow
Description:Named for the numerous blackjack oaks which grow there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blacksmith Hollow
Description:Named for a blacksmith shop located there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blair Mill (later Plummer, then Blankenship, then McNatt)
Description:A log, saw, and grist mill owned and located in 1854 by Nathan Blair. (Goodspeed (19), p. 194)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blankenship Hollow
Description:A hollow named for an early pioneer family. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blankenship Mill (earlier Blair, then Plummer; later McNatt)
Description:A mill owned by a Mr. Blankenship in 1870. (Goodspeed (20), p. 794)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blowing Spring Hollow
Description:A hollow named the spring in its midst. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blub Rock
Description:A deep hole with rocky bank on Big Sugar near Cyclone, a favorite place for noddling catfish. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blue Hole
Description:Obviously named for the clearness and the color of the water. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bob's Knob
Description:A knob between White Rock and the Arkansas line, named for old Bob, a white settler of the early days, whose body is buried in a grave cut out of solid rock on the Knob. Bob used the hill as a lookout, when he wanted to locate his cattle. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bone Cave Hollow
Description:So named because the early settlers found a cave "chuck full o' ashes an' ol' bones" reminiscent of a prehistoric race which scientists call the Ozark Bluff Dwellers. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bonebrake Bluff
Description:Said to be so called because it is dangerous to those who try to climb it; more likely the name comes from a family of Bonebrake, many of whom still live in the vicinity. (two explanations) (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boone Hollow
Description:Named for an early pioneer family, who settled there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bosky Dell
Description:A recent resort name, obviously given for advertising purposes. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bouvier Road
Description:A road, the origin of the name of which has been forgotten. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bowman Ridge
Description:A ridge, possibly named for an early settler, though the origin cannot be ascertained. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boyd Hollow
Description:Named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:Obviously named for the brushy undergrowth that grew along the banks of the stream. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buffalo
Description:Surveyed for John and William B. Pogue August 23, 1881; named for the creek of that name. (Goodspeed, p. 803)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buffalo City
Description:A town which appeared in the 1880s and which took its name from the springs nearby. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buffalo Creek
Description:Named by a Catholic priest when a buffalo was killed there by a member of his party. (R (Sturges) (20), p. 8)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buffalo Township
Description:Named for the stream which traces its course through the township. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bunker Hill
Description:A hill possibly named for the famous Revolutionary battle of that name. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bushyhead Hollow
Description:The reason for the name is unknown. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Butler Creek
Description:Named in honor of Charles Butler, an early settler in this section. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Camp Creek
Description:No explanation is given of this name. Probably named for some early encampment on the banks of the creek.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Camp Fallis
Description:A summer resort, probably named for some family. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cash Cove
Description:Probably named for a family of the community. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cave Springs
Description:A town which arose, in the early 1880s, about the medicinal springs of that name. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Caverna
Description:Appears as early as 1876 in Postal Guide; discontinued between 1904-1910; named from the numerous caverns in the vicinity. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Hollow
Description:Named for the many cedar growing in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Center Point School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Center Township (earlier Cooper Township; then Fox Township)
Description:Named, according to old residents, because of its central location on the eastern border of the county. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cheerbottom Hollow
Description:A hollow four miles north of Rocky Comfort, was occupied many years by a crippled man whose chief occupation was the making of split-bottom chairs. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chinquapin Hollow
Description:Named for the rather rare (this far north), chinquapin tree, or bush. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chinquapin Knob
Description:Named for the chinquapin trees which grow on the knob. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chinquapin Ridge
Description:Derived its name from the chinquapin trees, rare farther north, which grow upon the ridge. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Claycomb Hollow
Description:Named for an early family who settled there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clement Branch
Description:A stream named for a family who early settled upon its banks. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coffee Branch
Description:A stream named for a pioneer family, who settled upon its banks. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coffee Cave
Description:Mr. Randolph finds no explanation of the name, but in Goodspeed mentions an early family of Coffees who settled in the county about 1835. ( (R) Goodspeed (19) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Colburn Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Colburn family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coonfoot Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the coons that played there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cooper Township (later Fox Township; now Center Township)
Description:A township probably named for an early settler in the county. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cove
Description:A post office established in 1894; discontinued between 1904-10. (Postal Guide)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cowskin
Description:A post office established in 1894 and discontinued in 1904-10; probably named for the river. (Postal Guide)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cowskin Prairie
Description:Probably named for the Cowskin River which runs near the prairie. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cowskin River (also Elk River)
Description:A tributary of Beaver Creek which was named during the early part of the 19th century. The story goes that an early settler had a large herd of cattle grazing on the banks of the creek. They contracted a disease and thirty or forty of them died. He skinned them and laid the skins on the bank to dry. Since this incident it has been called Cowskin. (1) However, Sturges tells us that the river was christened by a Catholic priest when a buffalo cow was killed there, and the skin made into a robe. The name was retained until recent years. (2) (1. T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds; 2. R (Sturges) (20), p. 9)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Coy
Description:A post office established in 1887; discontinued 1904-1910; (1.) named for George McCoy, who once owned a mill and store near the place. (1. Postal Guide; 2. (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crag-O-Lea
Description:An advertising name of comparatively recent date. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crystal Springs
Description:A town which sprang up in the 1880s about the medical springs of that name; the springs were so called because of the clearness of the water. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cyclone
Description:A post office established December, 1883 and named from the great cyclone of April 18, 1880, that passed through this part of the state. (Goodspeed (19), p. 803; Eaton (45) III, p. 190; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cyclone Township
Description:Named for a village within its boundaries. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Day Hollow
Description:A hollow probably named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Deb Russell Spring
Description:A spring probably named for an early settler. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Deer Creek
Description:A small stream named for the deer which roamed its banks during the days of early history of the county. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dobbs Hollow
Description:Named for the Bodds family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Docks Hollow
Description:A hollow probably named for a family that lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dog Hollow
Description:Named for the hunting dogs that roamed in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Donohue (earlier Erie Station, then New Erie, then Wade; now Goodman)
Description:A post office established in 1894 and discontinued in 1898; probably named for an early settler. (Postal Guide; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dungeon Hollow
Description:A hollow so named because of its dark and gloomy appearance. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eagle School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ealy Hollow
Description:A hollow which derives its name from the Ealy family, who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ed Walls Hollow
Description:Named for a man who lived in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk Mills
Description:An early settlement established before the Civil War, and named for the mill which was situated on the Elk River. The post office was discontinued in 1889 and no trace of the settlement can be found today. (Postal Guide, 1889; Goodspeed (801); (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River
Description:The name of the river was said to have been changed from Cowskin to Elk by the legislature at the request of a local man, Steve Elkins, when he was representative. (1.) However, several old settlers declare that it was named for the elks which roamed there. The creek still goes by both names. (2.) (1. (R); 2. W.F. Reynolds, Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River (also Cowskin)
Description:The name of the river was said to have been changed from Cowskin to Elk by the legislature at the request of a local man, Steve Elkins, when he was representative. (1) However, several old settlers declare that it was named for the elks which roamed there. The creek still goes by both names. (2) (1. (R); 2. W.F. Reynolds; Ed Dobbs) [August 30, 1990. Returned by geography student. Could not document name of Elk River. Barry and McDonald touch, but Douglas is several counties away?]
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River (also Cowskin)
Description:The name of the river was said to have been changed from Cowskin to Elk by the legislature at the request of a local man, Steve Elkins, when he was representative. (1) However, several old settlers declare that it was named for the elks which roamed there. The creek still goes by both names. (2) (1. (R); 2. W.F. Reynolds; Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River (also Cowskin)
Description:The name of the river was said to have been changed from Cowskin to Elk by the legislature at the request of a local man, Steve Elkins, when he was a representative. (1) However, several old settlers declare that it was named for the elks which roamed there. The creek still goes by both names. (2) (1. (R); 2. W.F. Reynolds, Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River Township
Description:Named for the stream which runs through the township. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River Valley
Description:A small valley named for the Elk River which flows through it. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk Springs (earlier Rutledge, then Madge)
Description:Named for the springs once frequented by elk. (Eaton (45) III, p. 190; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elkhorn Creek
Description:Two creeks so named according to Sturges, by one John Roseberry when he "found an immense set of elk horns" there.(1.) However, Sturges also quotes an "ex post facto" story of an Indian girl attacked by an elk, and says that the spring was named by reason of this incident. Other pioneers say that the two creeks were named for an Elkhorn Creek in Letcher County, Kentucky.(2.) (1. R(Sturges) (20), p. 10; John Rogers; R.F. Dorn. 2. R(Sturges) (20), p. 11-12)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elkhorn Springs
Description:The springs of Elkhorn Creek which may have taken their name from the creek, or from the finding of a set of immense elk horns there. ( R(Sturges) (59) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elkhorn Township
Description:Named for the stream which flows through the township. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elkozar
Description:A summer resort, named probably for advertising purposes. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Enterprise
Description:An old town, long since gone, located somewhere on Pattersons Creek. It was an important trading post before the Civil War. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Enterprise School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Erie
Description:The post office established at John M. Harmon's house in 1851,(1.) and continued there until his death in 1862; reestablished 1868 by Dr. John Selers. The town was surveyed in 1868 for Daniel Harmon who owned the land.(2.) (1. R(Sturges) (20), p. 611; 2. Goodspeed (19), p. 904)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Erie School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Erie Township
Description:A township established February, 1867 and named for the town. (Goodspeed (19), p. 729; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eunice Hollow
Description:Named for a girl who lived in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fannie Williams Hollow
Description:Named for a woman who lived in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fibby Jones Hollow
Description:Named for Fibby Jones, who lived in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Five Stars
Description:A town which sprang up in the early 1880s about the spring of that name. It was abandoned in a few years.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flat Hollow
Description:Named from the flat topography of the land. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flint
Description:A post office established in 1890 and discontinued in 1893. (Postal Guide, 1890-93)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flint Cave
Description:A cave named, perhaps, for an early family, or possibly for the flint rock which was found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fox School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fox Township (earleir Cooper Township; now Center Township)
Description:Established May, 1866 and named for Henry Fox, Allotting Justice for Fox Township; (1) Sturges tells us that Fox also served as postmaster in the long forgotten town of Enterprise.(2) (1. Goodspeed (19), p. 728; 2. R(Sturges) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Frazier Cave
Description:Frazier Cave is named for an early family. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Galbraith Mills
Description:The origin of this name is not known; however, it was probably named for an early owner. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Garland Spring
Description:Probably named for an early family who owned the land upon which the spring was located. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ginger Blue
Description:A recent resort so named for no other reason than advertisement. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goodman (earlier Erie Station; then New Erie; then Donohue)
Description:A post office established in 1898; named for L.A. Goodman, from Kansas City, who came there about 1898 as superintendent of the Ozark Orchard Company. (Postal Guide, 1899; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goodman School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goodwin Hollow
Description:A hollow named for an early family who settled in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gordon Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gotham (later White Rock; then White Rock Spring; now officially Jane)
Description:Also spelled Gottem or Gottam, and still preferred by very old residents to the latter names. These spellings indicate that the local pronunciation preserves the true British pronunciation of this place-name, usually pronounced by Americans ______. The origin of the McDonald County name, says Mr. Randolph, is shrouded in mystery; but the English town derives its chief fame from the "three wise men of Gatham," of Mother Goose. Possibly for this reason, or more likely because the pronunciation suggested an obvious pun, it became a subject for ridicule and was changed to White Rock or Jane. Mr. Albert Price, lifelong resident of Pineville, says (according to Mr. Randolph), that gottam is the real old original name, but it was looked upon as a sort of joke, even then. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grandaddy's Cedar Hollow
Description:A hollow probably named for the cedar trees and some early resident. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Granny's Branch
Description:A stream named for some old woman who early settled on its banks. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Green Hollow
Description:A hollow probably named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Greenwood School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hacker Hollow
Description:A hollow probably deriving its name from a family who lived there.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hambrick Hollow
Description:A hollow said to take its name from a pioneer family; however, Mr. Lewis Kelley says that a ham was stolen there by a man named Brick and the hollow was named by a local wag with reference to this incident. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hargrove Cave
Description:A cave undoubtedly named for an early owner of the land. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harper
Description:A post office established between 1876-1886 and discontinued in 1889. (Goodspeed (19); (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hart
Description:A post office established in 1883 and discontinued 1910-1915; named for Phillip Rinehart, its first postmaster.(1) However, Eaton says that it was named for W.B. Hart, a nearby resident.(2) (1. R(Sturges) (20), p. 62; 2. Eaton (46) III, p. 190)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hart School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Havenhurst
Description:A recent resort obviously named as a tourist attraction. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hay Hollow
Description:A hollow probably named for a family that lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hazel Hollow
Description:A hollow probably named for a family who lived there--or some girl of the family. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hilltop Lodge
Description:A resort so named because of its location on a "hilltop." (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Honey Creek
Description:A creek so named by early settlers because of the many wild bee trees on its bank and the abundance of honey obtained from these trees. (T.A. Kay; Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Honey Creek Post Office (now Southwest City)
Description:A post office named for Honey Creek which flows near it. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Honey Lake Hollow
Description:A hollow, the circumstances and origin of the name is unknown. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hoot Owl Hollow
Description:Derived its name from the great number of hoot owls found there.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Horton School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Huckleberry Hollow
Description:Named for the hearty growth of huckleberries found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Camp Springs
Description:A resort built soon after the Civil War and named for Indian Creek which was dammed by the promoters of the place to form a lake. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Creek
Description:The creek was so named from the fact that along its banks were the great rendezvous for the Indians who inhabited the country. (Goodspeed (19), p. 791; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Hollow
Description:Named for some Indians who lived there in the early history of this country.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian River Highlands
Description:A resort named for its location on a hill overlooking Indian Creek. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Indian Springs School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jacket
Description:A post office established between 1910-1915. (Postal Guide; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jackpot Hollow
Description:The circumstances of the naming of this hollow are unknown. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jacobs Cavern (also Jay Taylor's Cave)
Description:Named for a Mr. Jacobs, who first found Indian relics there and called scientific attention to the place. The name was made official by archaeologists who explored it and published reports. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jame (earlier Gotham; then White Rock Sulphur Springs; then White Rock)
Description:A post office established between 1876-1886; (1) said to be named after a daughter of the first postmaster. (2) (1. Postal Guide; 2. (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:James Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a man by the name of James who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jay Taylor's Cave (officially Jacobs Cavern)
Description:A cave, so called from its present owner, Jay Taylor. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kings Creek
Description:Named for John B. King, an early settler in the country. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kings Hollow
Description:Named for an early settler of the county, King, who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kings Valley School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Koons
Description:A post office established in 1916; discontinued 1918-1921; probably named for an early family. (Postal Guide)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lake McNatt
Description:A small lake near Indian Springs probably named for the McNatt family, early pioneers of the country. (Goodspeed (19), p. 791)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lampson Hill
Description:A hill possibly named for an early family who lived nearby. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lanagan School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lanegan (earlier Lanegan's Addition)
Description:A post office established in 1892; named, of course, from the earlier community, Lanegan's Addition. (Postal Guide; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lanegan Hollow
Description:Named for the village of Lanegan. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lanegan's Addition (now Lanegan)
Description:Said to have been named for an Irish railroad official. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Langley's Ford
Description:Named, perhaps, for a family. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Layton Hollow
Description:Named for an early family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty
Description:A community which was probably named for patriotic reasons. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lime Kiln Hollow
Description:Named for the lime kiln located there at one time. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Bridge Hollow
Description:Derived its name from a small bridge which crossed a stream in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Cedar Hollow
Description:The smaller of the two Cedar Hollows, named for the numerous cedar trees there.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Missouri Creek
Description:A creek, whether named for the Indian tribe, or the state it has been impossible to determine. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Rail Hollow
Description:Named for the small rails found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Sugar Creek
Description:As Big Sugar Creek, Little Sugar Creek derives its name from the numerous groves of sugar maples which grew along its banks. (W.T. Sallee; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Log Road Hollow
Description:Named for the log road which ran through the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lone Dove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Cave
Description:A cave without doubt named for a family. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Love School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lummis Ford
Description:Named for an early pioneer family who lived in the county. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Madge (earlier Rutledge; now Elk Springs)
Description:Established in 1892 and discontinued in 1903. (Postal Guide; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mail Hollow
Description:No explanation for the origin of this hollow can be found. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Man Hollow
Description:A hollow, the reason for the naming of which are unknown. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Manning Ford
Description:Named for a pioneer family who lived in the community. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Maryville (later Pineville)
Description:A town laid out in 1847 and named in honor of Mrs. Mary Mosier. Later it was renamed because of another Maryville in the state. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mathis Ford
Description:A ford named for an early family who settled in the county. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Matney Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a family that lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:May (earlier Gates)
Description:A post office established in 1890 and discontinued in 1903.(1) According to Sturges the village and post office took its name from a Dr. Maynard who once practiced there, or from his daughter May.(2) The Goodspeed history contends that the name was in use prior to Dr. Maynard's arrival, and no girl named May is listed among his children.(3) (1. Postal Guide; 2. R(Sturges (20); 3. R(Goodspeed (19), p. 1079)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:May School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mayfield Ford
Description:Named for an early family of Mayfields who settled in the county. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McDonald County (earlier Snake County)
Description:Organized in 1849 and named for Sergeant McDonald, a South Carolina trooper in the Revolution.(1) Sturges remarks that "it has been quite a difficult task to ascertain the origin of the name, but all the old settlers state that the county was named after an officer in the Revolutionary War."(2) (1. R(Goodspeed (19), p. 179); 2. R(Sturges (20), p. 6) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McMillen Township
Description:Established in 1872, got its name from John McMillen who lived just above the Coy settlement, according to Sturges. (R(Sturges) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McNatt's Mill (earlier Blair; Plummer; Blankenship)
Description:A mill owned by J.J. McNatt in 1880.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mike's Creek
Description:A creek in the eastern part of the county named for "old man" Mike, an early pioneer who lived on its banks. (1) However, Sturges says that the creek is named from one Phillip Michael, who located on the creek-bank about 1857. (2) (1. J.S. Davis, W.T. Sallee; 2. R (Sturges (20), p. 3)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mill Creek
Description:Takes its name from a saw mill set up near its mouth by Moses Martin in 1835. (R(Sturges) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mill Hollow
Description:Probably named for an early family who settled there; possibly for an old mill. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Miller Hollow
Description:Probably named for Valentine (Telty) Miller, who came here from Ash County, North Carolina in 1827. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Miser Hollow
Description:Whether this hollow was named for a miser who lived in the hollow, or a family of that name, it has been impossible to determine. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mitchell's Prairie
Description:Named for an early pioneer named Mitchell who settled there in the early 1840s. ( R (Sturges (20), p. 43) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mooney Spring
Description:A spring named for the Mooney family who owned the land on which the spring was located. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Moral
Description:The name was possibly given for idealistic reasons. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Morrison School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mountain
Description:A post office established between 1876-1886 and discontinued (1910-1915; probably named for its location.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mountain Park Hollow
Description:Named for the mountain on one side, and the level character of the land of the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mountain Township
Description:Takes its name from the rough and rugged character of its topography. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:A transferred name from a church or hollow.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mystery Cave
Description:A recently opened cavern near Lanegan so named by the owner for advertising reasons. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Newberry Ford
Description:Named for an early family who lived in the county. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Newville
Description:A post office established in 1898 and discontinued between 1904-1910; named because it was the "newest" town. (Postal Guide)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Noel
Description:A post office established in 1887; named in honor of C.W. and W.J. Noel, livestock raisers and owners of a saw mill; Mr. Randolph finds that it derives its name from some member of the Noel family which came west from Kentucky in 1846, and is still prominent in local affairs. (Postal Guide 1887; Eaton (46) III, p. 190; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Noel School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Northcutt Spring
Description:A spring probably named from an early family who owned the land on which the spring was located. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nubia
Description:A post office established in 1887. (Postal Guide; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Old Bethpage School
Description:A transferred name from a church or hollow.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Orchard Ridge
Description:Named for an orchard which grew there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Owens School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ozark Springs Tavern
Description:A hotel situated near a spring and thus called Ozark Spring Tavern.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pack
Description:A village, the origin of the name no one seems to recall. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Panther Hollow
Description:Named for the panthers that denned in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pasley Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Pasley family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Patterson Creek
Description:Named for John Patterson, an eccentric old bachelor who trapped and hunted there in 1833. ( R(Sturges (20), p. 9) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Payne
Description:A post office established in 1901 and discontinued 1904-10; named for an early family. (Postal Guide)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Peach Orchard Hollow
Description:Named for the peach orchard which occupies most of the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Peacock Town
Description:The origin of the name of this community is unknown. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Peck's Ford
Description:A ford named, undoubtedly, for an early family. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Penitentiary Bend
Description:No one seems to know why this name was given. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Penny Hill
Description:The origin of the name seems shrouded in mystery. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pigeon Roost Hollow
Description:Named for the pigeons that roosted in the trees of the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Creek
Description:Named for the many pine trees which grew on its banks. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Hill
Description:Named for the pine trees growing upon the ridge. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Log Ridge
Description:A ridge so named because of the pine logs found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Ridge
Description:Named for the many pine trees growing along the ridge. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pineville (earlier Maryville)
Description:A town surveyed for Samuel Burke, June 11, 1847 and incorporated November 7, 1873.(1) Sturges (p. 69) says that the name was chosen because of a pine forest nearby, but other old-timers contend that the town was named for another Pineville in Bell County, Kentucky.(2) (1. Goodspeed's Hist. (19), p. 774; 2. (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pineville School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pineville Township
Description:Named for the town within its bounds. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pioneer Log Cabin Camp
Description:A tourist camp made of log cabins, named for advertising purposes. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pipe Spring
Description:A spring so called because old Judge Lampson years ago used an iron pipe to conduct the water to a spring house, a most unusual thing in those days. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pla-Daz
Description:A resort obviously named to attract the tourist.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Point School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge
Description:A descriptive name given to the ridge. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant View School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Plummer Mill (earlier Blair; later Blankenship, then McNatt)
Description:A mill owned and operated by John Plummer in 1859. (Goodspeed (19), p. 794)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Polar Bear Cave
Description:A cave recently opened and so named by the owner to attract attention. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Polar Cave
Description:The origin of the name of this cave seems forgotten. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Polecat Hollow
Description:Name for the polecats found in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pope Cave
Description:A cave probably named for a family of the community. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Poplar Hill School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Possum Trot Hollow
Description:A Possum Trot may be found in practically every county; named for the many opossums that played in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Potato Knob
Description:A knob named for the potatoes which were once growing there.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Powell
Description:A post office which appears sometime between 1870-1876; Named for a Mr. Powell who operated a distillery there in the early days. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Hollow
Description:Named for the level, grassy aspect of the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Township
Description:A township formed November 12, 1866;(1) named for the relatively flat character of the country.(2) (1. Goodspeed, p. 729; 2. (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prater Ford
Description:Named for an early pioneer family, who lived in the county. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Price Lane
Description:A lane which was perhaps named for a family of the district. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Puckett School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pumpkin Hollow
Description:Named for the pumpkin patch which was located there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pursell
Description:A post office established in 1895 and discontinued in 1898 and probably named for a family of the community.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Racetrack Hollow
Description:Named for a race track once built there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rattlesnake Hollow
Description:Derives its name from a rattlesnake killed there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Red's Hill
Description:So called because Red Mac Watkins lived there for many years. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Reunion Hollow
Description:Named for the reunions held there for many years by both Union and Confederate veterans. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rich Hollow
Description:Named, probably, for a family of Riches who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Richwood Township
Description:A township formed November 12, 1866; doubtless named for some pioneer. (Goodspeed, p. 729; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ridenour Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Riverside Inn
Description:A hotel, named for it's location overlooking the river. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Robinson Hollow
Description:A hollow named for an early family who settled there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock Quarry Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the rock quarry located there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rocky Comfort
Description:A village so named, according to Sturges, because of the natural surroundings. "The first part of the name was given from the ground being originally covered with rocks on the hillsides, while the beautiful valley with the spring of cold water suggested the name of Comfort."(1) Dr. D.N. Dobbs, an old resident of Rocky Comfort, says that the town was named by one Riley Surgenor, a relative of his, about 1849, after his old home, Rocky Comfort, Sevier County, Arkansas. (1. R(Sturges (20), p. 77) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rocky Comfort School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rocky Hollow
Description:Derived its name from the rough and rocky character of its topography. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roland
Description:A post office, established in 1891 and discontinued in 1893; possibly named for some family. (Postal Guide)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roller School
Description:A transferred name from a church or hollow.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rose Hollow
Description:Perhaps derived its name from an early family who settled there, or from some girl in the family. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rough Hollow
Description:Named from the rough and rugged character of the land. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Round Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rutledge (later Madge; now Elk Springs)
Description:The old county seat, dates back to 1849. Because of rowdiness and various episodes which occurred, the county seat was moved to Pineville. (Goodspeed, p. 802; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saratoga School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saratoga Springs (now Saratoga)
Description:The town was surveyed October 12, 1880 and named, because of the alleged medicinal value of the water, for Saratoga Springs, New York. ( R(Ozark Playground Association Booklet, Joplin, 1930, p. 5) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sawmill Hollow
Description:Named for an early sawmill located there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Schoolhouse Hollow
Description:Derived its name from the schoolhouse located there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seldom Seen
Description:(R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shadow Lake
Description:A small lake, so named, presumably, as an attraction to tourists. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shady Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shanghai Hollow
Description:Named, according to some old people, for a breed of chickens known as Shanghais. Mr. T.S. Stribling in one of his novels (BRIGHT METAL, N.Y. 1928, p. 140), used the term shanghai and writes that in the Tennessee hills a shanghai is a shanty of rough boards nailed on vertically. Many of the early settlers in McDonald County came from Tennessee, and it may be that the hollow was named for a shanghai shanty. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shingle Hollow
Description:Contained many fine "board trees" and was favored by those who rived out the old-time hand-split shakes and shingles.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Silver Springs
Description:Surveyed for William and Arzela C. Harness who acknowledge the plat September 24, 1881; named for the clear springs nearby. ( R(Goodspeed, p. 804) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Simcoe (also spelled Simco)
Description:A post office established in 1894 and discontinued 1904-1910. There was a cooperative store there in the early 1890s and it is said that the name was somehow derived from this cooperative affair. However, there is a Simcoe in Ontario, Canada, and it may have been influenced by this. (Postal Guide 1894; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Simsbury
Description:A post office established 1904-1910; discontinued 1910-1915. (Postal Guide; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Skaggs Hollow
Description:A hollow named for an early family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Skylight Cave
Description:A modern name for a small cavern at Sugar Beach resort. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smith Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Snake County
Description:An old and popular nickname for McDonald County; cf. the article on the local dialect by Mr. J.L.B. Taylor of Pinesville, entitled "Snake County Talk" (Dialect Notes, 1923, V. 197-225). The origin is obvious. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Southwest City (earlier Honey Creek Post Office)
Description:J.P. Lamance and Burton McGhee are said to have settled at Southwest City in 1842.(1) The townsite was surveyed in 1870 and so named because of its location in the extreme southwest corner of the county and state.(2) (1. Goodspeed (19), p. 787; 2. Eaton (46) II, p. 190; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Southwest City School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spillard Hollow
Description:Named for a family of Spillards who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Splitlog
Description:Platted for Matthias Splitlog and Moses W. Clay February 3, 1887 and named for the former; according to Sturges, Splitlog was an Indian who prospected there for silver about 1887. (Goodspeed (19), p. 799; R(Sturges (20), pp. 81-82) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spring Branch
Description:A small stream named for the spring from which it rises. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Star Hollow
Description:Probably named for some early family who settled there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:State Line Inn
Description:A hotel named because of its location near the state line. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stelzer Ford
Description:A ford presumably named for an early pioneer family of the county. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Success School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugar Beach
Description:A recent resort whose name was selected for advertising reasons. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sullivan Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sulphur Spring
Description:Derives its name from the sulphur present in the water. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Swillivan Hollow
Description:Named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tanyard Hollow
Description:A hollow probably named for some family who settled there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Testerman Branch
Description:A stream named for an early pioneer family who settled on its banks. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:The Narrows
Description:A place on Little Sugar Creek where the road is narrow and dangerous. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thief Hollow
Description:So named because a lot of horse thieves and chicken thieves lived there at one time. ( R(J.L.B. Taylor) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thomas Hollow
Description:Named for a family of that name who settled there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tick Ridge
Description:A ridge possibly named for the insect; may have been named in derision because of the poverty of the inhabitants, or land. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tiff City
Description:Surveyed August 6, 1881, and named for the mineral known to the miners as "tiff." ( R(Eaton, III, p. 190) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tiff City School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Timber Hollow
Description:Named from the abundance of timber found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Toga Hollow
Description:The origin of the name is unknown; may have been named for a family. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Trent's Creek
Description:A creek named for the Trents, an early family of the county who settled on the banks of the creek. (Amos Williams; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Trent's Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tribulation
Description:A post office appearing sometime between 1870-76; discontinued in 1902. (Postal Guide; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turkey Flat
Description:A level stretch which derived its name from the many wild turkeys found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turkey Pen Hollow
Description:Named for the turkey pens set there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Twin Springs
Description:A post office established 1876-1886 and discontinued in 1891; named for the springs which were possibly so called because there were two similar springs there. (Postal Guide; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Van Mater Hill
Description:Probably named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vaughn Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vestal's Mill
Description:A sawmill owned and operated by W.R. Vestal before the Civil War. ( R(Goodspeed (19), p. 723) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wade (earlier Erie Station, then New Erie; later Donohue; now Goodman)
Description:A post office established in 1890 and discontinued in 1893; named in honor of W.H. Wade, a congressman from the district. (Postal Guide; R(Sturges (20), p. 58) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Walnut Hollow
Description:Derived its name from the many walnut trees growing there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Water Pour-Off Hollow
Description:A hollow, so named because it received so much water from the surrounding hills. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Water-Fork Bentonville Hollow
Description:So called because of its many springs and spring branches--and from Bentonville Hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Waterprong Hollow
Description:No explanation for this name has been found. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Watson Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a family who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Bluff
Description:A bluff so named perhaps from the white limestone to be found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Oak Hollow
Description:Named for the white oak trees to be found in the hollow. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Rock (earlier Gotham; later White Rock Sulphur Springs; now officially Jane)
Description:Named for the limestone formation found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Rock School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Rock Sulphur Springs (earlier Gotham; later White Rock; now Jane)
Description:A town platted January, 1882 and doubtless named for the white limestone found there. ( R(Goodspeed (19), p. 803) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Rock Township
Description:A township established in February, 1867, and named for the town. ( R(Goodspeed, p. 729) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wildcat Cave
Description:A cave named for the wild cats which denned there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wildcat Hollow
Description:Named for the wildcats found there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Williams Hill
Description:Undoubtedly named for a family in the community, though no evidence has been found to verify the supposition. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Williams School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Will's Resort
Description:A resort probably named for some family. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wolf Cave
Description:A cave named for the wolves which denned there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wolf Pen Hollow
Description:Named for the wolf pens set there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Woodward Hollow
Description:Named for a family of Woodwards who lived there. (R)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wylic
Description:A post office established in 1894; discontinued 1904-1910. (Postal Guide; (R) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names