Maries County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adkins School
Description:In northeast Jefferson Township. A family name. (A.L. Joyce)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Avory
Description:In southern Johnson Township. An Avory family is known to have lived in Johnson Township, but the location of the town is unknown and the origin of the name uncertain. (Map 1867; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bailey (Holiness) Church
Description:In western Johnson Township. Named for Dan Bailey who built the church. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barnett
Description:See Barnett's Station.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barnett's Station
Description:An abandoned village in northern Boone Township. Named for Dr. Harrison Barnett, who was a physician there in the early 1850s. Shown as Barnett in Campbell's Gaz., 348, and as Barrett's Station on Maps 1865, 1867. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barrett's Station
Description:See Barnett's Station
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bell School
Description:In Dry Creek Township. A family name. (G.W. Cordsmeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Belle
Description:A town in northern Jefferson Township. J.S. Ridenhour, the first postmaster, who petitioned for the post office, submitted the names, Belle, Boy, and Bey, specifying a preference for Belle. It is not known why. (Postal Guide 1893f; Maps 1904f; R.H. Ridenhour)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bend
Description:A discontinued post office in Jefferson Township. Named for Sinful Bend (q.v.). (Postal Guide 1901-1915; Maps 1904f; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bert
Description:See Honseville.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bloomgarden
Description:On the Gasconade River in the center of the county. Said to have been named by Charles James for his fine garden. Mr. James, a German, doubtless called it "Blumengarten," i.e. flower garden, which has been anglicized to Bloomgarden. (Maps 1865, 1867; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bloomington
Description:See Lois
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boone Township
Description:The northwest township. Named for Nathaniel Boone, one of the earliest residents of the county and a distant cousin of Daniel Boone. (Everett King; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bowles Chapel
Description:A Methodist Church in northern Johnson Township. Named for Dr. Bowles who donated the land. Previous to 1885 it was known as Double Chimneys Church because it had a fireplace at each end. It was established about 1836 and probably was originally Presbyterian. During the slavery controversy, like so many other protestant churches in this section, it joined the M.E. South denomination. (Everett King; G.W. Cordsmeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Branson Methodist Church
Description:In central Miller Township. Named for Branson school. (q.v.). (J.H. Birdsong)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Branson School
Description:In central Miller Township. Named for Judge Branson who lived nearby. (N. Prater; J.H. Birdsong)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brinktown
Description:A post office in Miller Township. Named for the Brink family. Formerly Viessman and Viessman Station for Wolfgang Viessman, who came from Poland and settled here about 1855. It is said that a Mrs. Brink, a widow, donated $500 to the local Catholic Church on condition that the name of the town be changed to Brinktown. (Postal Guide 1904f; Maps 1904f; Everett King; W.M. Krone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Broadway
Description:A discontinued post office in eastern Johnson Township. The road was called Broadway as a neighborhood joke, and the settlement became known by this name. (Postal Guide 1899-1921; Map 1913; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bucksnort
Description:See Richey
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Burns School
Description:In Boone Township. Named for John Burns, landowner. (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cadmus
Description:A discontinued post office in Spring Creek Township. Named by Columbus Harrison, the postmaster, for Cadmus of Greek mythology, who sowed the dragon's teeth. (Postal Guide 1896-1904; Maps 1904, 1936; Everett King; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Camp Ground Methodist Church
Description:In Boone Township. So named because of its situation on the old Carnes Camp Ground (q.v.). Everett King; N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Carnes Camp Ground
Description:In Boone Township. Named for a Reverend Mr. Carnes, an early settler, who held camp meetings here. (Everett King; N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cedar Creek
Description:Rises in Jefferson Township and empties into the Gasconade River in Jackson Township. Named from the many cedar trees which line it. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Chinchbug
Description:See Lois
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cleveland School
Description:In Miller Township. Named for President Cleveland. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clifty Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River in Dry Creek Township. Its course is in hilly country. Cf. Clifty Dale.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clifty Dale
Description:See Gaines Ford
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clifty School
Description:In Dry Creek Township on Clifty Creek (q.v.), for which it is named. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Crossroads School
Description:In Jefferson Township. So called because the original building was located at a crossroad. (G.W. Cordsmeyer; R.H. Ridenhour)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dan
Description:A discontinued post office in northeastern Jefferson Township. Named for Daniel Boone Crider, an early settler. (Postal Guide 1901-1904; Map 1904; R.E. Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Davis School
Description:In Spring Creek Township. Named for the Davis family, who owned the land. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dixie School
Description:In central Jefferson Township. Formerly known as Dugout School because groundhogs had "dug out" under the building. The reason for the name Dixie is not known. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Double Chimneys Church
Description:See Bowles Chapel
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dover School
Description:In Jefferson Township. Named for Dover, Delaware. It is not known why. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Creek Township
Description:The south township on the west side of the Gasconade River. Named for the creek (q.v.), within its boundaries.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Drysse
Description:See Summerfield
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dugout School
Description:See Dixie School
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:East Fairview School
Description:In southern Jefferson Township. A descriptive name. Cf. West Fairview School. (A.L. Joyce)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Enterprise School
Description:In southwest Jackson Township. Obviously an ideal name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Excelsior School
Description:In northeast Jackson Township. Obviously an ideal or "motto" name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fainswick
Description:In northwest Jackson Township. No trace of this place could be found. (Maps 1867, 1873)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Feaster Spring
Description:In southwest Jefferson Township. An old time preaching and gathering place named for the Feaster family who owned it. This is probably the Jenkins Spring mentioned in Campbell. (Campbell, 346; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Feeler School
Description:In Spring Creek Township. A family name. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Flat Top School
Description:In western Jackson Township. A descriptive name. The school sits on the flat top of a hill. (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Franklin Church
Description:In eastern Jackson Township near Franklin School and named for the same family. (G.W. Cordsmeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Franklin School
Description:In eastern Jackson Township. A family name. (G.W. Cordsmeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gaines Ford
Description:A discontinued post office in Dry Creek Township on the Gasconade River. Named for Jas. Gaines who owned the land at the ford. Formerly Clifty Dale post office. The name was descriptive of the location. Clifty is a common dialect word in this section for cliffy. (Postal Guide 1867-1887, 1932; Maps 1873, 1880; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Galloway's Prairie
Description:A small prairie in the northeast corner of the county, named for the Calloway family who lived on it. (R.H. Ridenhour)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gasconade River
Description:Rises in Pulaski County and flows through Maries County, crosses the southeastern part of Osage County, and empties into the Missouri River in Gasconade County. Coues says it "got its name from the way certain persons bragged about their exploits when they returned to St. Louis." Eaton says the name was applied by the early French to the Indians living on its banks who bragged about their exploits and that the name is also descriptive of the waters of the river, which are "boisterous and boastful." At any rate the name is from the French word "gascon," a boaster, braggart, a Gascon. The Gascons, inhaibitants of the province of Gascony in France, were noted for their boastfulness. The verb, "Gasconner," means to brag. Also "gasconnade" is a noun meaning boast, brag. "Gasconer," to brag and "gasconade" n. are English words. (Eaton, 169; Coues's note, 367; Littre)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Grovedale
Description:A discontinued post office in east Jefferson Township. The name is descriptive of the location. (Postal Guide 1876-1910; Map 1913; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hay Hollow
Description:In southwest Boone Township on Sugar Creek. Early settlers put up Prairie grass from this hollow for hay. (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hay Hollow School
Description:In southwest Boone Township. Named for Hay Hollow (q.v.), in which it is located. (Abandoned) (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hayden
Description:A post office in Dry Creek Township. Named for Hayden Copeland, the first postmaster. (Postal Guide 1891f; Maps 1913, 1922, 1936; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Heck
Description:See Hadley
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hedley
Description:In Jefferson Township. A village named for Herbert S. Hadley, Governor of Missouri 1908-1912. Formerly Heck Post Office named for Valentine Heck, the storekeeper. The name was changed after the post office was discontinued. The name was changed just after George Hadley's election because the Heck family had moved away. (R.M. '36; Maps 1904; 1913; Postal Guide 1901-1904; Everett King; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hickory Grove Christian Church
Description:In Johnson Township. The original building was located in the midst of a hickory grove. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:High Gate
Description:A post office in southeast Jefferson Township. Named by a Mr. Kinsey for the section of London from which he came. (Postal Guide 1886f; Everrett King; Maps 1880f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Highgrove
Description:A discontinued post office in Johnson Township. The name is descriptive of the location. (Postal Guide 1867-1904; Maps 1873, 1880, 1904, 1913; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Highgrove School
Description:In Johnson Township. The name is descriptive of the location. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Holy Trinity Catholic Church
Description:In Miller Township at Brinktown. Named for the Holy Trinity.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Honseville
Description:In Spring Creek Township. A store named for Robert Honse, who formerly owned it. Formerly known as Bert, for Bert Allen the first postmaster. (R.M. 1936; Postal Guide 1895-1899; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Humphrey's
Description:A store in western Boone Township near the head of Little Tavern Creek. (Postal Guide 1886-1932; Maps 1904f; Everett King; N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Indian Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River in Jackson Township. Its mouth is near Indian Village for which it is named. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Indian Ford
Description:See Indian Town
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Indian Town
Description:The site of an early village of Shawnees and Delawares, from whom it was doubtless named, on the Gasconade River, east of Vienna. Also known as Indian Ford and Indian Village. (Hist. Cole etc., 587, Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Indian Village
Description:See Indian Town
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:The north township. Named for Jackson Terrill who was presiding judge when the township was formed. (Everett King; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:The northeast township. Named for President Thomas Jefferson, 1801-1809. (Everett King; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jenkins Spring
Description:See Feaster Spring
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Johnson Township
Description:The southeast township. Named for Thomas Jefferson Johnson, an early representative in the legislature. (Everett King; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kenner School
Description:In Dry Creek Township. Named for the Kenner family. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kinderhook
Description:On the Gasconade River. It was the first post office in the county. Near Lane's Prairie. It was founded about 1837 during President Van Buren's administration and named for his birthplace and home, Kinderhook, New York. (Fisher's Map 1857; Hist. Cole etc., 593; Enc. Brit. XXII, 968, 14th ed.)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lacon
Description:A discontinued post office in Boone Township. At different times it was moved and was located "all over the township." The origin of the name is unknown. (Postal Guide 1867-1887; Maps 1865, 1867, 1873, 1880)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lacy School
Description:In Johnson Township. Named for William Lacy who donated the land for the school. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lambeth School
Description:In southern Boone Township. A family name. (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lane's Prairie
Description:A post office in southeast Jefferson Township. Post office established in 1851. Named for Charles Lane, who settled there in 1826. (Hist. Cole etc., 589; Campbell, 345; No. Gaz., 156; Postal Guide 1870f; J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Liberty Christian Church
Description:In Jefferson Township. An ideal name. Also known as Old Frame Church. A descriptive name. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:In western Miller Township. An ideal name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Light
Description:A discontinued post office in southern Johnson Township. Named for Klabe Light, who built the store and was the first postmaster. (Postal Guide 1896-1922; Maps 1904f; Everett King; J.P. Hart; A.L. Joyce)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lillte Flock School
Description:In Jackson Township. Named for Little Flock Baptist Church (q.v.), which it is near.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lindell
Description:A discontinued post office in southern Jefferson Township. Named by Elijah Jones, the first storekeeper and postmaster, for the Lindell Dry Goods Company of St. Louis with whom he did business and had satisfactory dealings. (Postal Guide 1886-1915; Maps 1904, 1913, 1922; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Flock Baptist Church
Description:Four miles north of Vienna. Christ addressed his disciples in one place as "Little Flock." (Luke vii. 32)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Marais Creek
Description:See Little Maries Creek
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Maries Baptist Church
Description:Located six miles west of Vienna. Named for the stream near which it is located. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Maries Creek
Description:A tributary of the Maries River (q.v.), which rises in Maries County. Also known as Little Marais Creek. (maps 1873f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lois
Description:A post office in northern Johnson Township, established in 1891 and discontinued in 1910. Named for a girl, Lois Cordsmeyer. Often known as "Chinchbug" because of the many chinchbugs in the neighborhood. During the Civil War it was known as "The Hill" because of its location on a high place. It was originally known as "Bloomington." It is not known why. (Postal Guide 1891-1910; Maps 1904, 1913; Everett King; J.P. Hart; A.L. Joyce; G.W. Cordsmeyer; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lone Star Baptist Church
Description:About two miles southeast of Vichy. An emblematic name. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:Heads ten miles west of Vienna and empties into the Little Maries. The name is descriptive. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Long Creek
Description:Heads near Belle and empties into the Gasconade River. The name was meant to be descriptive. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Marais
Description:See Maries
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Marais Creek
Description:See Maries River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Maries
Description:A discontinued post office in the western part of the county. Shown as Marais on Fisher's map 1857. Obviously named for the river. (Postal Guide 1886-1904; Map 1904)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Maries County
Description:Maries County was originally a part of St. Louis County. On December 11, 1818, it became part of Franklin County and so remained until November 25, 1820, when it was joined to Gasconade County. When Pulaski County was formed in 1833, it included part of Maries, and the rest remained in Gasconade until Osage County was created in 1841 including part of Maries County. Maries County was organized March 2, 1855. On the north is Osage County; on the west Miller; on the south, Pulaski; on the south and east, Phelps; on the east, Gasconade. The county is named for the two streams which head in it, the Maries River and the Little Maries (q.v.). (HIST. COLE etc., 593, 595)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Maries River
Description:Rises in Maries County and flows into the Osage River in Osage County. It was formerly spelled Marais, which is doubtless the original form. Marais is a French word meaning marsh or swamp, and some of the Maries River country is marshy. Another explanation, evidently a mere "folk etymology," is that the stream was named for two French girls called "Marie." This is seriously advanced by Eaton and local informants, but no one has attempted to identify the girls! Other spellings are River Maria, Mary's River, and Mary's Creek, obviously folk etymologies. (Eaton, 193; HISTORY OF COLE etc., 595; Coues's note, 371; Maps 1805f; Brown's Gaz., 178; Wetmore; Littre; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mary's River
Description:See Maries River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:McMinn School
Description:In Dry Creek Township. Named for Robert McMinn, landowner. (G.W. Cordsmeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Menton
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Boone Township. No trace of this place could be found. (Postal Guide 1867-1893; Map 1880)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Miller Township
Description:The southwest township next to Miller County for which it is named. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:New Taft School
Description:In southern Boone Township. Named for John Taft, landowner. (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:North Spring Creek
Description:A small stream which rises in Miller Township (Phelps). Crosses the southwest corner of Maries County, and empties into the Gasconade River. The name is indicative of the many springs which feed it. North Spring Creek is distinguished from Spring Creek in the southern part of Phelps County. (C.D. Brewster)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Old Bloom Landing
Description:An abandoned landing on the Gasconade River in Jackson Township. In the early days iron "blooms" were hauled from the old Meramec Iron Works in Phelps County over the old "Iron Road" to Old Bloom Landing, which was the nearest water connection. (Campbell, 346; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Old Frame Church
Description:See Liberty Christian Church.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pay Down
Description:A discontinued post office in western Jefferson Township. The Missouri Gazette says it was a post office in 1860. Hayward lists it in 1853 (Osage County). The first store in the county was built here by a man named Clasby. The place was named by Thos. Kinsey when it was made a post office. It is said that Kinsey, who owned a mill here, had always insisted that his customers "pay down or no deal," when they brought grain. There has been a settlement here since 1826. (Postal Guide 1870-1932; Mo. Gaz., 213; Hayward Postal Guide; Maps 1865f; Hist. Cole etc., 592; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pea Vine Creek
Description:A tributary of Dry Fork in Jefferson Township. So named for the many wild pea vines with which everything was overgrown in early days. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pendleton Settlement
Description:The location could not be determined. It was named for a Pendleton family. (Hist. Cole etc., 628; G.W. Cordsmeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:In eastern Johnson Township. The name is descriptive of the location. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:In east Spring Creek Township. A descriptive name. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Prosperity School
Description:In southern Boone Township. Obviously an ideal name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rader
Description:A discontinued post office in Jackson Township named for a Reverend Mr. Rader, who was a Methodist preacher here. (Postal Guide 1915- 1921; Maps 1904, 1922; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Red School
Description:In southwest Boone Township. So named because it formerly was kept painted red. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Renneke School
Description:In Jackson Township. A family name. (R.H. Ridenhour)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Richey
Description:An abandoned store named for the storekeeper. In Miller Township. Also known as Bucksnort because Mr. Richey often said he could hear a buck deer snort every morning in early days. (Williams, 440; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ricker Memorial Church
Description:A nazarene church in west Boone Township named for James Ricker who donated the land. (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:River Maria
Description:See Maries River
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Rogers Creek
Description:A tributary of the Maries River in Boone Township. Named for one of the earliest justices of the peace, a Mr. Rogers, who lived on it. (W.M. Krone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Safe
Description:A post office in eastern Johnson Township. So called, it is said, because a Mr. Kregel, who ran the mill, had the habit of saying "Your grain is safe if you leave it here." (Postal Guide 1887f; Maps 1904, 1913, 1922, 1936; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Santee
Description:A discontinued post office in Miller Township named for Addison Santee, a civil engineer for the Frisco Railroad, who was a resident of the county for some years. (Postal Guide 1899-1902; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shinkles School
Description:In Johnson Township. Named for Geo. Shinkles, a justice of the peace and director of the school district. (J.P. Hart; G.W. Cordsmeyer)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sinful Bend
Description:A wide bend in the Gasconade River so named because the neighborhood was known in the early days as a "tough" one. The people had a reputation as fighters. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Skaggs Church
Description:In Jefferson Township. A family name. (A.L. Joyce)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Smyrna Christian Church
Description:In southwest Boone Township. Organized 1900. Smyrna is an ancient city in Asia Minor. It was one of the seven churches in Asia to which messages were sent through the apostle John. The name means "myrrh." (N. Prater; Rev. ii, 8-11; Bible Dict.)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Snodgrass School
Description:In northern Spring Creek Township. Named for Washington Snodgrass, who donated the land. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spanish Needle Prairie
Description:In eastern Johnson Township. Named for the yellow flower or weed which literally covers its fields. Also known as Spanish Prairie, which is an abbreviation. (Everett King; Maps 1867, 1873)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spanish Prairie
Description:See Spanish Needle Prairie.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spring Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River. Rises in Phelps County. So named from the fact that it is fed by many springs. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Spring Creek Township
Description:The southern township east of the Gasconade River. Doubtless named for the creek (q.v.), which runs through it and empties into the Gasconade River in it.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Star School
Description:In Johnson Township. An emblematic name. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Steen Prairie
Description:A discontinued post office in Jefferson Township. Named for an early family. (Postal Guide 1867-1910; Maps 1880, 1913; Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stickney
Description:A post office in Dry Creek Township. No trace of this place could be found. (Postal Guide 1904f; Maps 1904, 1936)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sudheimer
Description:A post office in Miller Township. Named for an early family. The natives commonly call it _____ evidentlly associating the name with the English word "hammer." (Postal Guide 1924f; Maps 1922, 1936f; Postal Guide 1910; Everett King; W.M. Krone)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sugar Creek
Description:A tributary of Little Maries Creek in Boone Township. There are many large sugar maples along its banks. In the early days there was almost nothing else but sugar maples here. (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Summerfield
Description:A post office in northern Jefferson Township originally known as Drysse for one of the founders. The name was changed to Summerfield by Mr. Baumgartner, the first postmaster, who had a dislike for Mr. Drysse. Probably a descriptive name. (Postal Guide 1904f; Maps 1904f; R.H. Ridenhour; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tavern
Description:See Humphreys
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tennyson School
Description:In eastern Spring Creek Township. A family name. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Terry School
Description:In southern Jackson Township. A family name. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Thompson Hill School
Description:In northwest Boone Township. Named for William Thompson who donated the land (one acre). (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tucker's Store
Description:In Miller Township. The place was named for the first storekeeper. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vancleve
Description:A discontinued post office in western Boone Township. Named by H.V. Warren, a representative in the state legislature for Maries County, for his friend Vancleve, a representative from another county. (1885) (Postal Guide 1886-1918, 1930; Maps 1904, 1913, 1936; N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Venus
Description:A discontinued post office in Boone Township. Named for a girl, Venus Riley. (Postal Guide 1915-1932; R.M. 1936; John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Veto
Description:A discontinued post office in Johnson Township. A.L. Joyce, the first postmaster, saw the name on a stove and used it because it was short, though many people thought the name was given because President Cleveland was vetoing so many bills. (Postal Guide 1904- 1932; Maps 1922, 1936; A.L. Joyce)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vichy
Description:A town in Johnson Township considerably famed locally for its mineral water springs, similar to those of Vichy, France, for which it is named. Laid out in 1880. (Postal Guide 1886f; Maps 1904f; Hist. Cole etc., 615)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Victory School
Description:In northern Boone Township. Obviously an ideal name.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vienna
Description:In Jackson Township. The county seat of Maries County. Dr. V.G. Letham, the presiding county judge, it is said, had had a young woman in his family named Vie Anna, who had died, and he wanted the commissioners to give it that name in her honor. Commissioner McCord, however, thinking such a course unwise, outwitted the old doctor by naming it for the Austrian capital, Vienna, a name so similar that the doctor's opposition was silenced. _____ is used by many uneducated people, sportsmen, etc. The majority of the townspeople, however, now say _____. (Postal Guide 1867f; Hist. Cole etc., 595; Eaton, 193)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Viessman
Description:See Brinktown
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Viessman Station
Description:See Brinktown
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Walker School
Description:In Johnson Township. Named for Moses Walker, who owned the land. (J.P. Hart)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Washington Baptist Church
Description:In western Miller Township. Named for Washington School (q.v.). (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Washington School
Description:In western Miller Township. Named for President George Washington. (Everett King)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Weldon
Description:A discontinued post office in southern Boone Township. Named for the Weldon family. (Everett King; W.M. Krone; Postal Guide 1886-1925; Maps 1904-1922)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:West Fairview School
Description:In Boone Township. A descriptive name. Cf. East Fairview School.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wheeler School
Description:In northwest Miller Township. Named for the Wheeler family. (John Terrill)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wiles School
Description:In eastern Boone Township. Named for the Wiles family. (N. Prater)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names