Macon County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Anabel (Round Grove; Beverly)
Description:The settlement of Round Grove was named after the township, (q.v.). The post office at this place was called Beverly. In the 1890s the railroad changed the name to Anabel. One old inhabitant says it was so called after a merchant's daughter.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Anabel School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ardmore
Description:"In the early 1890s the village of Ardmore was laid out. It was a coal mining town and did not have long existence."
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ardmore School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Atlanta
Description:Atlanta was laid out in 1858 on land settled by Thomas F. Atterbury. The town was named for the city in Georgia.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Axtel (Moccasinville)
Description:Some six miles east of old Bloomington was the Richardson home. It was situated on the crossing of the stage road and the Old Bee trace. It had received the name of Moccasinville, tradition says, because at one time the men were compelled to wear moccasins for want of shoes. This town was a claimant for the county seat. While Moccasinville has gone off the map, the settlement still remains a thriving community. Two miles and a quarter away is the station of Axtel. Having a post office and a store, being situated on the Wabash, showing that Moccasinville was not a dream and that it still lives under another name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Barnesville
Description:Barnesville was a country post office established about 1878-9.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Barryville
Description:Barryville was a country post office near Callao. It was discontinued about 1900.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bear Creek School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bell School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Beverly
Description:See Anabel.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bevier
Description:Bevier was named after Colonel Robert Bevier of Kentucky who was a noted Confederate leader and who later wrote a book about the campaigns in the West and South during the Civil War. The town of Bevier was laid out in 1858 by John Duff on land originally owned by Lewis Giltrap.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blackwell
Description:The "Blackwell Settlement" was the second settlement in the county. Mr. William Blackwell, after whom the settlement was named was one of the first settlers. He settled here in 1831.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bloomington
Description:The "Owenby settlement" was formed in 1832. The settlement took its name from Joseph Owenby, who was a county court judge. In 1837, when the county seat was located it was located in the Owenby settlement and called Bloomington. The name of the town was probably brought by the Illinois and Indiana settlers.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bohannon School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Box Ankle
Description:Box Ankle was one of the claimants for the county seat in 1837. The commissioners were in favor of Box Ankle and changed the name of the village to Bloomington, (q.v.). No one knows why the place was so called. The name Bloomington was probably borrowed from the towns in the East.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brock School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brush Creek School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bunce School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bunch School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burris School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Callao
Description:Callao was laid out in September, 1858 by Samuel Humphreys and Samuel Kerm. The town was named after the South American city and was named by Samuel McKinney. The name Callao is of Spanish origin and probably means "bay" or "harbor."
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Callao Township
Description:The township was named after the town of Callao, which is situated in the same (township).
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carbon
Description:Carbon is a coal mining town on the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad. The name is of frequent occurrence in the United States and is given to indicate the presence of coal deposits.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Centerville School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Centerville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton Township
Description:Chariton Township was called the South Carolina of Macon Township before the war. It takes its name from the middle fork of Chariton River which passes through the western boundary.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:City of Maples
Description:See Macon
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:College Mound
Description:College Mound was laid out in 1854, by McGee College under the auspices of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and named for the college and mound near by. This town overshadowed the village of Floretta which was located on the main stage road from Huntsville to Bloomington.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cottage
Description:Cottage was a country post office which was established in the nineties and was of short duration. (Mo. Gaz., (1899), p. 298; P.O. Guide, (1904), p. 674; Williams, State of Missouri, Map p. 437)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cox
Description:This country post office was named for its first postmaster, W.S. Cox. (Eaton, p. 191; Top. Map. Macon Quad.; Mo. Gaz., (1899), p. 300) (P.O. Guide, (1904), p. 674)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Davis School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dewey School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dodd
Description:Dodd was a county post office established in the 1890s. It was probably named for a prominent family. (Mo. Gaz., (1899), p. 323; Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 434)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Drake Township
Description:Drake Township was named after James Drake, who came from Iowa in 1849. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 821, (note).
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Duck Creek School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Eagle School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Easley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Easley Township
Description:The township was named after Judge William Easley, who emigrated from Kentucky after the year 1838. He was one of the judges of the county court from 1852-56. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 819).
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:East Valley School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:East Walker School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Economy (Vienna)
Description:This village was first called Vienna. A store first was established here by C.H. Nelson, who, when naming it said, "it was economy to buy at this place." This place was first settled in 1837 by Col. Chas. Hamilton. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 804; Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 434; Eaton, p. 191; Top. Map, Atlanta; Mo. Gaz, (1899), p. 334)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Economy School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elk Fork School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elmer (Mercyville)
Description:The town of Mercyville was platted as early as 1865. "The first blacksmith in Mercyville was "pop" Williams and his wife, Mercy for whom the town was named." In 1888 the village of Elmer was laid out by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. In 1905, these towns consolidated. The station of Elmer was a mile west. Very few people remain at Old Mercyville. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 820; Eaton, pp. 191-2; P.O. Guide, (1915), p. 552; J.G. Trimble, Names File No. 7)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Emerson (Excello)
Description:The village of Emerson is in Macon County. When a post office was established there it was found that there was already a post office by that same name in the state, so the name was changed to Excello. (Top. Map, Macon Quad.; Mo. Gaz., (1889), p. 343; Mo., Gaz., (1899), p. 346; P.O. Guide, (1915), p. 553; Williams, State of Missouri, (Map, p. 437)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ethel
Description:The town of Ethel was laid out in April, 1888 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. The village was originally called Ratliff. It is thought that there was a family by that name living there. (Eaton, p. 192; Mo. Gaz. (1899), p. 344; P.O. Guide (1915), p. 552; Williams, State of Missouri (map, p. 437)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ettle
Description:See Redman
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Evelyn
Description:Evelyn is a village on the Santa Fe Railroad. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1899), p. 331; Postal Guide (1915), p. 552; Williams, STATE OF MISSOURI, (map, p. 437)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Excello School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fairbanks School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fletcher School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Floyd School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Forest School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fox School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Friendship
Description:See Narrows Creek.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gee School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gifford
Description:"In about 1900 some promoters started to build a railroad down to the Chariton River from Centerville, Iowa called the Iowa and St. Louis Railroad. The road was built as far south as in Macon County at Mercyville. The first station in Macon County was called Gifford. This was so great a boom to the town that a new town one-half mile south was started, which was called South Gifford." The name may perhaps have been borrowed from Illinois. (Williams, STATE OF MISSOURI (map, p. 437; Gannett, p. 137; P.O. GUIDE (1915), p. 552; Williams, HIST. of N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 436)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gipson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Glaston School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Goff School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Green School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hammack
Description:Mr. Hammack had a water mill on the Chariton River. The village must have taken his name for a trading point. (MO GAZ. (1899), p. 412; Webb Ruby; P.O. GUIDE, (1904), p. 674; HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, pp. 752-3)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hammock School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hart
Description:Hart is a village on the Santa Fe Railroad. (Williams, STATE OF MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 435)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hazel Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:High Hill School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Highland School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hildreth
Description:Hildreth is the station at the Still-Hildreth Sanatorium near the town of Macon. Dr. A.G. Hildreth is the superintendent. (Edgar White (letter); P.O. GUIDE (1925)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Holman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hopewell School
Description:See Macon
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hudson Township
Description:Hudson Township may have been named for the Hudson Land Company. See Macon. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 763)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Independence School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jake Grove School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Johnston Township
Description:"Johnston Township was reorganized in 1872 and named in honor of Colonel Richard Johnston, who came here from Virginia in 1830 and settled upon the present site of Sue City." (TOP. MAP, ATLANTA: HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 809)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jordan
Description:"Jordan post office was located in 183- by Jordan Hall and R.C. Mitchell. The post office took its name from its first postmaster, Jordan Hall." (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 753)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kaseyville
Description:A country post office which was named after its first postmaster, Singleton L. Kasey. (Webb Ruby; MO. GAZ. (1878-9), p. 367; P.O. GUIDE (1904), p. 674)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kaseyville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kellogg
Description:Kellogg was a country post office established about 1899 and named for its first postmaster, Mr. R. Kellogg. (MO. GAZ. (1899), p. 699)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Keota
Description:The village of Keota was opened up in 1900 by Kansas and Texas Coal Company. It might be that this was a trade name founded by the company. (HIST. MACON, p. 127; Potal Guide (1915), p. 552)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Keota School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kern
Description:Kern is in the Chariton Valley and was named after Judge Robert Kern of St. Louis. Judge Kern was one of the first advocates of ditch construction to reclaim the valley lands from overflow. (Eaton, p. 192)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:King School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:La Crosse
Description:La Crosse is the post office at Oliver Station on the Santa Fe Railroad. La Crosse is probably a French name meaning "The Cross." Oliver may have been a family name. (Mo. Gaz. (1889), p. 726)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:La Plata
Description:La Plata was laid out in 1855 by Lewis Gex and Thomas Saunders. The name is of Spanish origin and means "wrought silver." There is also a South American river by this name. Saunders and Gex drew lots to see what the town would be named. Mr. Gex wanted to name it Charlotsville for a favorite sister but Saunders got the lucky straw. The name has a variety of pronunciations. The broad of the East, the short of the West and the long of its own inhabitants and train criers. The town was probably incorporated September 29, 1856. (Eaton, p. 192; Gannett, p. 181; HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 811; P.O. GUIDE (1925), p. 853; LA PLATA HOME PRESS, March 15, 1928)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:La Porte
Description:See Ten Mile.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:La Porte School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Leathers School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lindy School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lingo
Description:The village of Lingo was named in honor of Judge Samuel Lingo. The place was originally called "Peabody's Woodyard." Colonel Peabody stacked up his wood there which was purchased by the railroad for its engines. The village was platted in 1873. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 433; HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 121; Mo. Gaz. (1889), p. 764; P.O. GUIDE (1904), p. 674)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lingo School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lingo Township
Description:Lingo Township was named after Judge Samuel Lingo who came from Kentucky in 1835. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 752)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Loe Township
Description:See Valley Township.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Longville
Description:Longville was a country village. No information concerning this name could be found. (TOP. MAP, MACON QUAD.: P.O. GUIDE (1904), p. 674; Williams, STATE OF MISSOURI (map, p. 437)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Love Lake City
Description:The town of Love Lake City and Love Lake take their names after James M. Love. Mr. Love laid out the town in 1868. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1889), p. 764; HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 805; TOP. MAP, ATLANTA; P.O. GUIDE (1915), p. 552)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Love Lake School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Love Valley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lyda
Description:A country post office established about 1878-9. It was probably named after the Lyda family. (MO. GAZ. (1878-9), p. 414; MO. GAZ. (1898-9), p. 768; HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 789)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Macon
Description:Macon, the county seat of Macon County was laid out in 1856. Before this the county seat was located at Bloomington, a thriving town which has since disappeared. During the Civil War the marked southern sympathizers of Bloomington aroused the indignation of General Lewis Merrell, commander of the Federal post at Macon. In 1862 he ordered Major Thomas Moody to burn the town. At the suggestion of Major Moody, who disliked to carry out such a harsh order, it was decided that Bloomington should be destroyed in a more humane manner. Major Moody was candidate to the legislature that year and he introduced a bill for the removal of the county seat to Macon. The bill was pased as an act of military necessity. It was named, as the county, in honor of Nathaniel Macon. "Macon City may be called the "City of Maples." Mr. James Terrill in the spring of the centennial year, gave all parties desiring trees, as many maple trees as they could plant." The original town, Macon City was laid out in 1856. The town of Hudson adjoining Macon City was laid out by the Hudson Land Company in 1857. It probably took its name from the land company. There had been much rivalry, between Hudson and old Macon City, but in 1859, the legislature incorporated the two towns under one name, Macon City. The legislature in 1863 passed a law changing the county seat from Bloomington to Macon, striking out the word City. The town was named for the county, (q.v.). (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, pp. 763, 798; MACON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 58; Eaton, pp. 190-91; TOP. MAP, MACON QUAD. : P.O. GUIDE (1925), p. 853; Stevens, Vol. 1, p. 770)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Macon City
Description:See Macon
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Macon County
Description:Macon County was organized January 6, 1837. It was named in honor of Nathaniel Macon of North Carolina. He had an unswerving faith in the people to govern themselves and a favorite saying of his was: "If left alone they will always do what's right." (HIST. OF RAN. & MACON, p. 709; Eaton, p. 191; RECORD OF CHAR. COUNTY, p. 17; TOP. MAP, MACON)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Manhart School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Maple
Description:Maple was a country post office which was discontinued in 1889. It was probably named for the Maple trees which are numerous in the county. (MO. GAZ., (1876-7), p. 310; MO. GAZ. (1889), pp. 795; HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 806)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Marshall School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McClainesville School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McLeansville
Description:McLeansville was named after Dr. McLean, and the village was started about 1834. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, pp. 751-2)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McNeeley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mechanicsburg
Description:"Mechanicsburg was a small place containing a store and a post office. There is no post office there now." The name was probably brought from Ohio and named after the village by that same name. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 800)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mercyville
Description:See Elmer
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Middle Fork Township
Description:"Middle Fork Township lies in the southeast corner of the county and is watered by the middle fork of Salt River and its tributaries." (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 751)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Miller School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moccasinville
Description:See Axtel
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moody School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Morrow School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Morrow Township
Description:The first mill in the county was erected by William Morrow. He was one of the oldest settlers and the township was evidently named after him. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 737)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Vernon School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Murry School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Narrows Creek
Description:Narrows Creek is the name of the post office at Friendship. It is a farming settlement. (TOP. MAP, MACON QUAD.; MO. GAZ., (1876-7), p. 341; MO. GAZ. (1899), p. 848
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nash School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Boston
Description:"This town was named after Boston Massachusetts and was laid out in 1846. The town of New Boston was moved west into Linn County about 1872 (q.v.), New Boston, Linn County. The town was originally called Robison." It was probably named Robison after a family. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 822; Williams, HIST. OF N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 436)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Cambria
Description:This town was first platted in 1861 and originally called Stockton, in honor of James Stocks, who was a railroad contractor on the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad. In 1864, as the result of an advertisement of "Free Missouri" which appeared in a Welsh newspaper in Utica, New York, representatives were sent to this state to select a location for a large colony of Welsh immigrants. In order to attract the Welsh Commissioners the name of Stockton was changed to New Cambria which means "New Wales." "Two places were under consideration, New Cambria and Gomer in Caldwell County, but, unfortunately for the latter place, the killing by southern sympathizers of two Union soldiers on the streets of Kingston while the commissioners were staying there, caused them to decide in favor of New Cambria." Cambria or Cumbria which is etymologically akin to Cumberland is an ancient poetic name for Wales, "the land of Cymry or Cumbre," a word usually interpreted as meaning "compatriots." (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 753; Eaton, p. 192; Espenshade, pp. 161-1)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Castle
Description:"The parties operating the first shaft (for coal) called the place New Castle naming it after a famous coal town of England, Newcastle- upon-Tyne." (Note: The various coal mines were designated by names instead of numbers as they are now). (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 101-103)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Newberg School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Newburg
Description:"This town must have been in existence in the 1840s."Its principal rival was La Plata, but the coming of the Wabash in 1867 gave it new life. The town was probably influenced by towns in New York and Massachusetts having the same name. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 434; Gannett, p. 223)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nickellton
Description:This town was named in honor of Davidson Nickell, a prominent man in the vicinity. (Mo. Gaz., (1889), Guide, (1915), p. 552)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nickellton School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oakwood School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Old Centerville
Description:See Woodville
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oliver
Description:See La Crosse
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Osborne School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Owenby Settlement
Description:See Bloomington
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Peabody's Woodyard
Description:See Lingo
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:People School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Dale School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Redman (Ettle)
Description:Redman was formerly known as Ettle. The post office probably took its name from George Redman who was a prominent man in the vicinity. (Mo. Gaz., (1889), p. 940; Top. Map. Atlanta; HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 1075; Williams, State of Missouri, p. 437)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Redman School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Riley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Robison
Description:See New Boston
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rock Creek School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rogers School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rose Hill School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Round Grove
Description:See Anabel
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Round Grove Township
Description:Round Grove Township was reorganized in 1872. (Top. Map, Atlanta; HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 757)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Seibert School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Seney
Description:A country post office named after Seney Price, a citizen living there. (Webb Ruby; Mo. Gaz., (1889), p. 1345; Mo. Gaz., (1904), p. 674)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Seney School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Snow
Description:A country post office established in Macon County in 1898-9, probably named for the Snow family. (Mo. Gaz., (1898-9), p. 1360; HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, pp. 1076-78)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:South Gifford
Description:See Gifford
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Star School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Steele School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stinking Creek
Description:"This inelegant appelative was applied to that stream, because the water therein presented a muddy appearance and when stirred emitted an obnoxious odor." (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 737)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stockton
Description:See New Cambria.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stowe School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sue City
Description:Sue City was laid out in 1868 by Joseph T. Ryster, a prosperous farmer, for his wife, Susan. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 809; P.O. Guide, (1904), p. 674; Top. Map, Atlanta).
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sue City School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Swan Lake
Description:"Swan Lake was so named because it resembles a swan in appearance." (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 754)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Swan Lake School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ten Mile (La Porte)
Description:La Porte was a hamlet laid out by a man who came from Indiana. It was probably named after the county in that state. The word is of French origin meaning the "door" or "opening," in this case it meant between two stretches of prairies. The post office was known as Ten Mile. Both the village and the township of Ten Mile take their names from the creek which is ten miles in length. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 785; Gannett, p. 181; Top. Map, Atlanta; Mo. Gaz., (1899), p. 729)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ten Mile Creek
Description:Ten Mile Creek is said to be ten miles long, hence the name. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 785)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ten Mile School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Teter School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thurman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Titus Creek
Description:"William Titus erected the first mill in the township, locating it on Titus Creek about the year 1840." The creek was probably named for him. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 810)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Trestle Lake
Description:"The Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad constructed a trestle work through the north end of Trestle Lake." (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 754)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tullvania
Description:The village of Tullvania was named after Nicholas Tull. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 822; Eaton, p. 192; Campbell, p. 337; P.O. Guide (1904), p. 672)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Valley Township
Description:Valley Township was originally named in honor of Jacob Loe, an early settler, and was called Loe Township. The name was changed in 1872 by the county court to Valley Township. "The township is located in flat prairie land." (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 799; Macon Co. Soil Map, pp. 5-6)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Vanfleet School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Waddell School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walker School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Waller School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walnut
Description:A country post office established about 1889 on Walnut Creek. (Mo. Gaz. (1889), p. 1487; Mo. Gaz. (1899), p. 1437; Williams, Hist. of N.E. Vol. 1, p. 436)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walnut School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ward School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wardell School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Brown School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Valley School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White Oak School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White Township
Description:White Township was named in honor of Randolph White, who came from Randolph County, Missouri, after 1850. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 807)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woodville (Old Centerville)
Description:Old Centerville was situated near the lines of three counties, Shelby, Monroe and Randolph. It was the first trading point in the county. It was laid out in 1883 and called Woodville. (HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, p. 751; Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 432; Campbell, p. 337; Top. Map, Macon Quad.)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woodville School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wright School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wrinkler School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Zion School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names