Livingston County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adams School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:American Bottoms School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Asper School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Astoria
Description:This town was founded by Henry Mitchell of St. Louis. It was laid out in March, 1837. Not a single house was ever built there; so the town proved to be only a town on paper. Why the name was chosen seems to be a mystery, but it was probably influenced by towns by the same name in New York, Illinois and Oregon which were named for the Astor family. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 547; HIST. CAL. & LIV., p. 908; Roof, Vol. I, p. 30; Gannet, p. 3) (LIVINGSTON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 110)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Avalon
Description:David Carpenter was the founder of Avalon. "It was named for the town of Avallon in France, which stands on an eminence as does its namesake. The word is of Celtic origin meaning "Apple Tree." There is also an island in the British Channel called "the blessed isle" where falls not hail, nor rain or any snow, and where Breton legend has it that Good King Arthur of the table round, is buried." Avalon's townsite was first located in the bottom land, which proved unhealthy. Wesley Scott was the first to build a house on the elevation where the town now stands. It bore the name Scott's Mound. The town site was entered by Mr. Scott in 1845. (Eaton, p. 189; Roof, Vol. I, p. 31; Gannett, p. 33; HIST. CALDWELL & LIVINGSTON, pp. 1222-23; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON; LIVINGSTON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Banner School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Barry School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Baxter School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bedford (Bedford Station)
Description:William Le Barron, a Frenchman of St. Louis founded the town of Bedford and it was first called "the town of La Born." It was platted by him in 1839 and named Bedford. It is thought he was interested in the steamer "Bedford" which was afterward wrecked on the shoal at this site. This is rather a strange occurrence as the town was laid out and named in 1839, the "Bedford" did not ascend the Grand River until 1840. The name was probably influenced from the famous English city, Bedford. Bedford Station is a mile north of the town on the Wabash Railroad. (HIST. CAL. & LIV. p. 912; Roof, Vol. I, pp. 31-2; LIVINGSTON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10; Parker, p. 304; Gannett, p. 41; Eaton, p. 189; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Black Hills School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blackburn School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blue Mound Township
Description:Blue Mound Township was organized in 1843. "It took its name from the elevated plateau or Mound which at a distance outlined against the sky, resembles a mammoth pile of Cerulean." (sic). (HIST. CAL & LIV., p. 1189; TOP MAP, LIVINGSTON)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bolicher School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bowman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brookshire School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brown School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brush College School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bryanville School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Butler School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cap School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chillicothe
Description:Chillicothe is the county seat of Livingston County. It was located on the land of John Graves in 1837 and named by the order of the county court for Chillicothe, Ohio. Chillicothe in Ohio was originally spelled Chil-li-co-atha and was named for a Shawnee Indian town in the vicinity. The name signifies "the big town where we live," or "our big home." "The Shawnees had a little town and a big town. Gatschet says the correct Shawnee form signified "man made perfect." Hodge says, "Chillicothe is one of the four divisions of the Shawnees. The division is still recognized in the tribe but the meaning is lost." (HIST. CAL. & LIV.,p. 1047; Eaton, p. 188; Gannett, p. 80; LIVINGSTON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10; Hodge, Vol. I, p. 267; Parker, p. 304; RECORD OF LIVINGSTON COUNTY, Part II, p. 17; TOP MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chula
Description:Chula was established about 1885. The name is a Choctaw Indian word meaning "red fox." The name is a borrowed one but no information could be found about how it got its name. (Hodge, Vol. I, p. 295; Gannett, p. 81; Eaton, p. 189; Roof, p. 31; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cisco
Description:Cisco was a county post office in Jackson Township. There are many places in the United States that bear this name. It is an Indian word meaning "a kind of fish." The word is said to be taken from the Algonquin dialects of the region of the Great Lakes, but its origin is not clear. There is a town in Texas by the same name. (Hodge, Vol. I, p. 300; Gannett, p. 82; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 262; MISSOURI GAZ., (1899), p. 270)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clay Hill School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clearly
Description:A country village near Chillicothe. The town may have been named for J.I. McCleery who had a mill there. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 276)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Coon Town
Description:See Grandville.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Coxville
Description:John Cox laid out the town of Coxville on the site of this mill. (HIST. CAL. & LIV., p. 1175)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cream Ridge
Description:Cream Ridge was a small village with a very short existence. It is thought the place was named after the township. The post office was discontinued in 1899. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 295; MISSOURI GAZ., 1899, p. 301; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cream Ridge Township
Description:Organized May 13, 1857. (TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dawn
Description:Dawn was first known as Whitney's Mill. A mill was built there by Josiah Whitney in 1837. The town of Dawn was laid off by William Hixon in March 1853. (Roof, Vol. I, p. 31; LIVINGSTON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10; HIST. CAL. & LIV., p. 1191; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fairland School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Farmersville
Description:Farmersville was laid off and platted in January 1870 by Josiah King and others. It is a farming country and now there is only a store there. (Roof, Vol. I, p. 31; LIVINSTON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10; HIST. CAL. & LIV. p. 941; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 674; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Genova
Description:Genova was a country post office with only a short existence. The name is probably a corruption of Geneva or Genoa. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1898-9), p. 387)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gibbs School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Girdner School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gordonville School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grand River
Description:The Grand River or "La Riviere de la Grande" was explored and written of as early as 1724 by a French party that ascended the river in that year. In 1725, the Indians destroyed their village. (HIST. CAL. & LIV., p. 685; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Granville
Description:Granville was the first village in Livingston County. It was first called "Coon Town" and afterwards called Granville. The town was established about the year of 1840 but was never regularly platted. It may be inferred that at that date while the larger game had disappeared, the raccoon still remained and flourished in the Grand River tributaries. The name Granville was probably influenced by towns in Illinois and Massachusetts by the same name. In 1855, the town was abandoned and the buildings were torn down by its inhabitants. Its downfall was due to an unhealthy location on Grand River. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 547; Roof, p. 25; Gannett, p. 142; HIST. CAL. & LIV., p. 142)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Green Township
Description:The township was first called Shoal Creek Township after Shoal Creek which the township relied upon for its water supply. In February 1839 it was changed to Monroe, in honor of James Monroe. In April, the township was divided and the northern portion was called Greene, "in honor," says the record, "of Jineral (sic) Green of the Revolutionary War." "The name is commonly written as Mr. Pearl, the clerk, wrote it, but as Nathaniel Greene spelled his name with an "e," so Greene Township should be written." (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 703; 887; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Greene School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Happy Hollow School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hazel Green School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hazelhurst School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hicks School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hoeman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hosier School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Independence School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jacksnipe School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Jackson Township was named in honor of the American statesman and warrior, Andrew Jackson. (TOP MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY; HIST. CAL. & LIV., pp. 703; 990)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jamestown
Description:See Jimtown.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jimtown (Jamestown)
Description:In 1836, Caleb Stone, David Heckman and David Lamme of Boone County entered about 1500 acres of land lying south of Chillicothe. On November 24, 1836 they laid off and platted a town on the north side of Grand River. This was before the county was organized and the object of the proprietors was to make it the seat of justice. The plat embraced about twenty-five acres and the town was known as Jamestown but was called Jimtown. "It was probably named after the town in Virginia." A few lots in "Jimtown" were sold and the town soon was forgotten. (LIVINGSTON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 9; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 677)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jones School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kinkaid School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kirk School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Leaton School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Leopolis
Description:Leopolis is a Catholic settlement and probably takes its name from Leopolis seminary at that place. The name may have been taken from Pope Leo, who was Pope from 1878 to 1903. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 738)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Livingston County
Description:Livingston County was organized January 6, 1837. It was named for Honorable Edward Livingston, who was the eleventh Secretary of State of the United States, serving in General Jackson's cabinet two years, from 1831 to 1833. (HIST. CAL. & LIV., p. 695; Eaton, p. 188; RECORD OF CHAR. COUNTY, p. 188; LIVINGSTON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 9; TOP. MAP, LIV. COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lost Township
Description:See Sampsell.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lowland School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ludlow
Description:Ludlow is a small village on the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad. No information about the name could be found. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1879), p. 413; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 780; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Manning School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McCormick School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Medicine Creek
Description:Medicine Creek is said to have been named by the Indians for the reason they found so many herbs on its banks that they used for medicine. (James McGee, (letter)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Minor School
Description:See Greene.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Monroe Township
Description:See Greene.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mooresville
Description:The town of Moresville was laid off April 25, 1860, and named for its founder, W.B. Moore. It was incorporated April 20, 1874. (Eaton, p. 189; Roof, p. 31; HIST. CAL. & LIV, p. 996; TOP. MAP. LIV. COUNTY; LIV. COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Morgan School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mound Creek
Description:Mound Creek was so named on account of the topography of the country. (TOP. MAP, LIV. COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Muddy Lane
Description:This place was not a village; it was merely a country post office. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1879), p. 462)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Navestown
Description:See Springfield.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New York School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Norville
Description:Norville is on the Wabash Railroad five miles from Chillicothe. This place probably was named for Captain William N. Norville who was a prominent man in the city and who distinguished himself in the Civil War. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 897; Postal Guide, 1904, p. 674; HIST. RANDOLPH & MACON, pp. 1136-37)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ondron School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Perry Ridge School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Phillips School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pinkley School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Potter School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Valley School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Progressive School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rawlie School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rich Hill Township (Grant Township)
Description:Rich Hill Township was organized out of Chillicothe Township November 30, 1872, on the petition of John M. Grant and others. It was first called Grant Township for Mr. Grant, But five days later the name was changed to "Rich Hill because of the fertile and rich hill lands in the township. (HIST. CAL. & LIV., p. 1174; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Risley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sampsel Township
Description:Settlements were made in this township as early as 1834-1835. No entries were made on this land until 1846. The reason for this was the fact that the United States surveyor, Mr. Henderson, died before making his returns and the papers were lost. The township was then known as the "Lost Township." The township was organized July 22, 1874 and named for the town of Sampsell. (HIST. CALL. & LIVINGSTON, pp. 894; 1002; TOP. MAP, LIV. COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sampsell
Description:Sampsell was surveyed in 1870 on the land of John C. and William Whitacre and James Britton. It was named in honor of J.B.F. Sampsell, who was connected with the Chillicothe and Omaha Railroad. The building of the railroad caused the founding of the town. (HIST. CAL. & LIV., p. 1002; Eaton, p. 189; LIVINGSTON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10; TOP. MAP. LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Scott's Mound
Description:See Avalon.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Slagle School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Smith Campbell School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Smith School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sneed School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:South Wheeling School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Springhill
Description:Jesse Nave was considered the founder of this town. He located at this place in 1836 and soon erected a small store here. The settlement went by the name of Navestown until the town was organized and named in 1848. The reason the town changed its name is very interesting. Somtimes letters would be addressed Knave's Town, and the misspelling with its unpleasant suggestion would anger Mr.. Nave who was postmaster. It is said that these annoying mistakes were so frequent as to cause him to petition the department for a change of name to Spring Hill. The hill on which the town is situated had a number of springs at its base and was called "the spring hill" at a very early date. At one time this town was considered a better trading point than Chillicothe. The building of the Hannibsl and St. Joseph Railroad greatly injured the prospects of Spring Hill and the Civil War, which came later almost destroyed it. (Noof, Vol. I, p. 31; LIV. COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10; HIST. CAL. & LIV., p. 1000, Williams; HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 546)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stone School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sturges
Description:Sturges is a small village on the Milwaukee Railroad. One resident of this district thinks Sturges may have been named for the Union general. (A.L. McGuire; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 1449; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Swain School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Toneville School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Town of La Born
Description:See Bedford.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Utica
Description:Utica was platted April 27, 1837. It was named by Roterick Matson, who was an early settler. He named it for his native town in New York. (Eaton, p. 189; Parker, p. 304; LIV. COUNTY ATLAS, p 10; Gannett, p. 308; TOP. MAP, LIV. COUNTY; HIST. CAL & LIV., p. 888)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Vaughn School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ward School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ware School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Warner School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wheeling
Description:This town was laid off October 7, 1865 by Henry Nay. It was named for his native town in West Virginia. The town in Missouri was platted in 1866. (LIVINGSTON COUNTY ATLAS, p. 10 1 Roof, Vol. I, p. 32; Eaton, p. 189; HIST. CAL & LIV., pp. 851-3; TOP. MAP, LIVINGSTON COUNTY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White Cloud School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Whitney's Mill
Description:See Dawn.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woodland School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names