Linn County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Baker Township
Description:Baker Township was named after the Baker family. Samuel Baker was one of the commissioners when the townships of the county were formed. (George Johnson; HIST. LINN, (Taylor), p. 58)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bear Branch
Description:Bear Branch post office was located on the stream of the same name. In the early days bears were often seen along the branch. The post office was disconinued in 1889. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1876-7), p. 84; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 146; Judge Henry Johnson)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Belshe School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Benton Township
Description:Benton Township was organized May 1838. It was probably named for the Senator, Thomas Hart Benton. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 194)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bethel School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bondville
Description:See Purdin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boomer
Description:The post office at Boomer was organized in 1889. The railroad station is known as Forker. Boomer is the name of a family and Forker was named for a railroad official. (Henry Johnson; Bert Moore; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 172)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boone School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Botts School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bottsville
Description:See Meadville.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brookfield
Description:Brookfield was named for John Wood Brooks, a civil engineer from Boston. He surveyed the town July 20, 1859 under the direction of Major Josiah Hunt, a land commissioner for the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad. Engineer Brooks was further recognized by four streets of the town which were named "John," "Wood," "Brooks," and "Boston." The ground on which Brookfield now stands was formerly known as "The Scatters." The form Brookfield was probably influenced from Brookfield, Vermont. (HIST. LINN (Taylor), p. 195; Eaton, pp. 88, 187-8; HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 488)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brown School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Browning
Description:The town of Browning was platted in 1872. It is on the line between Linn and Sullivan counties. It was at first suggested to use a combination of these names and call the town Linnivan. It was finally decided, however, to honor Mrs. Ella Browning, wife of J.A. Browning, one of the officials of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, and so the town was called Browning. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 751; HIST. LINN (Taylor), p. 240; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, (1876), p. 10)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brownlee School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bucklin
Description:The town of Bucklin was platted October 11, 1854 by W.B. McClanahan on land owned by John H. Watson and Dr. John F. Powers. The town was named in honor of Major James H. Bucklin, one time chief engineer of the Hannibal and St. Joe Railroad. The reason it was named after the engineer was that the founders wanted the division to be at this place. The village was called Bucklinville. It was incorporated into a town in 1886. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 411; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 10; CLARK'S SECTIONAL MAP; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876, p. 110)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burch School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Buzzard's Roost
Description:See Haysville.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carey School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carpenter School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carter School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cash School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Center Point
Description:"In 1857, the town of Center Point was laid out, but it died soon after it was laid out. The dividing of Yellow Creek Township which occurred January 5, 1866 caused the town to cease to exist." (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 675)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clapp School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:The first settlers came to Clay Township in 1835. The township of Clay was organized in 1869 out of Parson Creek, Jackson and Locust Creek Townships. The township was probably named for Henry Clay. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 781, 220)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Commercial School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Crescent School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Davis School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dickinson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Duncan School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:East Strawberry School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elk Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elm Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Enterprise (Rodney)
Description:The town of Northcutt was first laid off in the year of 1857 or 1858 on land belonging to B.F. Northcutt. The town went by its founder's name until about 1874. The name was then changed to Enterprise but as there was another town in the state by that name it was called New Enterprise. Later, the post office was called Rodney. At the present time only a few people live in the village and the district school is known as Enterprise. The post office was discontinued in 1833 as Northcutt. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, p. 411; ATLAS LINN, 1876, p. 10; MISSOURI GAZ., 1874-1876, p. 353; MISSOURI GAZ. 1883, p. 726)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Enterprise School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Eversonville
Description:This settlement was first known as "The Four Corners." Charles H. Everson of Boston created the first building in 1876. The place was then known as Everson's Store. In 1879 several stores had been built and it was large enough to be called a village. It was incorporated in 1881, but as it was not situated on a railroad, the town has almost ceased to exist. (MISSOURI GAZ. 1879, p. 234; MISSOURI GAZ., 1899, p. 345; HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 787-8)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Forker
Description:It is thought the town was named after a conductor on the Burlington and Carrollton Railroad. The post office is known as Boomer; it was named for a family. (Judge Henry Johnson; Bert Moore)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fountain Grove (Wolf Grove)
Description:This village was formerly known as "Wolf Grove." It was laid out by F.R. Green and Thomas McMullin, March 20, 1871. "The nape (sic) of the grove is on a branch and that is how the town gets its name." It was platted February 6, 1871. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, pp. 411-12; EDWARD'S ATLAS, p. 10; Col. F.A. Powers; MISSOURI GAZ, 1879, p. 245; Col. F.A. Powers, Williams; HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, pp. 411-12; LINN COUNTY ATLAS 1876, p. 10; MISSOURI GAZ., 1879, p. 245)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fountain Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Garner
Description:This place was a country store. It was named after the Garner family. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 10; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 362)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gooch School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grantsville
Description:Grantsville was laid out by E.C. Hutchison and William Moore, January 9, 1866. It was named for General U.S. Grant. The post office was discontinued in 1889. (For. Street; W.J. Wigginton, (letter), MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 202; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 399; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 10)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grantsville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Green View School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grove Hill School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hackler School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hardin School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Haseville
Description:See Haysville.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Haysville (Haseville)
Description:This village was formerly known as "Buzzard's Roost." It was named for John Hays who was a storekeeper. It was settled about 1883. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 408; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898, p. 429; Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 7)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hecla
Description:The name Hecla was given to this post office by the postal department at Washington. No one knows why the name was chosen. The post office was discontinued in 1883. There is a mountian in Iceland known as Mt. Hecla. (John Canada; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 432)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hess School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hill School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hooker School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jackson Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Jackson Township was one of the original townships organized in 1845. It was probably named for the general. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 827-43)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:Jefferson Township was first settled in 1835 by Jacob Grindstaff. It was one of the original townships formed when Linn County was organized in 1845. It was probably named for Thomas Jefferson. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 569-575)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jenkins School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kirby School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Laclede
Description:The name Laclede was given in honor of the old pioneer of Missouri and one one of the founders of St. Louis, Laclede Liqueste. It was named by Henry W. Cross and laid out August 19, 1853. It was incorpoated in March, 1866. It was first written LaClede as the founder wrote his name. This town has become distinguished in recent years as the home of General John J. Pershing. (Gannett, p. 178; HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 583; Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 412; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 155)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lee School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Leverton
Description:A country office which was named after Leverton Wilcox, who was its first postmaster. (Judge Henry Johnson; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 752)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Light School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lind Branch
Description:Lind Branch was so-called because of the abundance of linden trees on its banks. Lind is a form of linden. (Gud Adams)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Linn Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Linn County
Description:Linn County was organized January 7, 1837. "It was named after Honorable Lewis T. Linn who was a United States Senator from 1833-1843." In 1843, Honorable Lewis T. Linn died at his residence at Ste. Genevieve. (Eaton, p. 187; Gannet, p. 187; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 6; HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 169; RECORD OF CHAR. COUNTY, Part II, p. 17)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Linneus
Description:"The original name of the county seat was Linnville, but the name was afterwards changed to Linneus. The new name was selected by John Parsons, a lawyer." His purpose was to have the town named in honor of the great Swedish scientist, Karl Von Linne, who was commonly called Linnaeus. "The Swedish savant was the greatest botanist of his age. He was born in Rashult, Sweden, May 13, 1807. In his day his successful researches had made him a recognized authority along the lines of his study and he was looked up to as a world benefactor." In writing the name of the town on the records the clerks spelled it "Linneus." While Mr. Parsons lived he hung tenaciously to the spelling of the name as the botanist did. Mr. Parsons drafted the act of legislature approved December 17, 1840. In that act the name of the town is spelled Linnaeus. It is also spelled that way in the act of legislature approved November 23, 1857. "The question of proper orthography died with Mr. Parsons and custom and convenience have triumped over literary accuracy." Some histories record that Senator Linn modestly declared that he preferred the name Linnaeus to Linnville. (Stevens, p. 42; HIST. LINN, (Taylor), p. 51; Gannett, p. 187; Eaton, p. 187; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, pp. 6, 10)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Linnville
Description:See Linneus.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Locust Creek
Description:This creek takes its name from the locust trees that grow along its banks. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Locust Creek School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Locust Creek Township
Description:The creek was so-called because of the locust trees on its banks. The township took its name from the creek. (Judge Henry Johnson; Col. F.A. Powers, (letter)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lowell
Description:Lowell was a country post office near Wheeling. The name may have been transferred from the eastern states and it may have been named for a family. The post office was only of short duration. (MISSOURI GAZ, (1898-9), p. 764; Colonel Powers, (letter)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lowe's Branch
Description:This branch was named after a person by the same name, i.e., Lowe. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 740)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Marceline
Description:The town of Marceline was platted in 1887 and named for the wife of one of the railroad officials, whose Christian name was "Marcelina." It was made the division of the Atcheson, Topeka and Santa Fe system. The township was named for the town. (HIST. LINN, (Taylor), p. 213; Eaton, p. 188)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McClure School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Morris Chapel
Description:This church was named after Tom Morris. He contributed the largest sum of money and donated the ground. (Guy Adams)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Olive School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mundell School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Needles
Description:"This place was a spur of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad between Laclede and Brookfield." (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nester School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nevins School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Baltimore
Description:See Meadville.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Boston
Description:The founders of New Boston were A. Barrow and P.A.C. Wright. This village became a post office in 1872. There was also a New Boston just over the line in Macon County. It was old enough to be the grandfather of the village in Linn County. Age had so crippled the Macon County village that it had every appearance of dying without outside help. "The starting of the real and present New Boston was the signal on the part of a few persons to get on their ears and hurl anathemas deep and vengeful at New Boston." They said that the town interfered with the growth of the old town. The people in Macon County called the village in Linn County "Hell's Square Acre." (HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 817; HIST. LINN, (Taylor), p. 246)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Boston School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Newton School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:North Eagle School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:North Salem
Description:The town of Whig Town was platted in 1840 when the northern part of the county was a boundary of sections seven and eight, Field Artillery, United States of America. Most of the settlers were of Puritan stock and as there were more Whigs than Democrats in the town, it received the name of "Whig Town." The town was laid out in 1858 by William Sanders. When the post office was platted Mr. Putnam wanted to call it Salem, in honor of his old home in Indiana, but since there was already one Salem in the state, the place was called North Salem. Salem is a Hebrew word for "peace" and was applied to the Massachusetts city by the earliest settlers, in hopes thay they would find peace and security there, that they had not found in Europe from whence they immigrated. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 825-6; Stennett, p. 122)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:North Salem School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:North Sebago School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Northcutt
Description:See Enterprise.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Norton School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Arbor Church
Description:This church is the oldest church in Jefferson Township. It was organized in 1841. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 579)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Arbor School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Dale School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Orlinda
Description:Orlinda was established as a post office about 1874 and the place was abandoned about 1880. The village was named by Manly Thomas who was in the mercantile business there. He named the post office after his sister, Orlinda. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); W.J. Wigginton, (letter); MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, pp. 906-8; HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 843)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Parsons Creek
Description:Many years ago when the country was first being settled there was a Methodist preacher, who made his circuit in Sullivan County. The legend is that the preacher tried to cross the creek when the river was high, and he was drowned. So the creek was called Parson's Creek. It has been shortened to Parson Creek in recent times. (Mrs. W.W. Crawford)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pershing School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Phillips School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pierce School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Point School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Shade School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Plum Branch
Description:Plum Branch took its name from the enormous quantities of wild plum trees which grew along its banks. (HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 140)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Plum Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Flower School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Seminary School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Purdin (Bondville)
Description:The village of Purdin was first called Bondville. The reason for this was, when the first atlas was being made the information of this vicinity was secured from Peter Bond. The name was never officially given.The village was laid out by Peter Bond and Charles B. Purdin and was named by a railroad official after Mr. Purdin. It was laid out in 1873 and was incorporated April 10, 1899. (Fan Street, (letter); Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 412; HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 755-65; HIST. LINN, (Taylor), pp. 244-6)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rodney
Description:See Enterprise.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rose Dale
Description:The name of the post office was changed to Hylerid. See Hylerid. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 988)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sedgwick
Description:The post office was named in honor of a Union general of that name who was killed in one of the battles of the wilderness in Virginia in the spring of 1864. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1874-6, p. 611; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 1342; HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 826)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shafter
Description:The village of Shafter was named after a general by that same name who fought in the Spanish-American War. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); Judge Henry Johnson)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shelby
Description:This post office was named for Sheldon Wilson, whose nickname was Shelby. He had a store at this place and was a prominent citizen of the community. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 1349; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 1397)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sherman
Description:The town of Sherman was in Yellow Creek Township. On August 2, 1869, it ceased to exist. It was named after the general. (HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 675)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sidebottom School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sights School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Slater School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Snowdon
Description:This post office took its name from its postmaster, A.L. Snowden. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:St. Catherine
Description:St. Catherine was laid out April 28, 1856 on land belonging to William and Catherine Elliott. It was named in honor of Mrs. Elliott. "Saint" was afterwards added as a joke, but Mrs. Elliot remarked she had no objections to being canonized as a saint, and so the name became an established fact. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 412; HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 675; Eaton, p. 168)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:St. Catherine School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stains School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Strawberry Branch
Description:The branch received its name from the wild strawberry vines which grew along its banks. The schoolhouse, which was built in 1851, took its name from the from the branch. (HIST. LINN, Brisdall & Dean, p. 784)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sunny Point School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thayer
Description:This town was laid out in 1857. The place was called Thayer in honor of some railroad magnate of the East, probably Eli Thayer of Boston. When the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad was completed to Thayer, Thayer was made a temporary division, which was expected and promised to be permanent. But later, the railroad authorities decided to locate the division at Brrokfield, and there all the offices were moved. Thayer, then dwindled away and in March 1861, it was vacated by an act of Legislature. (HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 655-56)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thorp School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:"This creek was formerly in a brushy location, stocked with wild turkeys." (Colonel F.A. Powers, (letter).
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union Ridge School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Warner School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Warren School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Strawberry School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Whig Town
Description:See North Salem.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wolf Grove
Description:See Fountain Grove.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woodside School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wyandotte
Description:The village of Wyandotte was so called because the Wyandotte Indians were prominent in Kansas at the time of their settlement. The village was vacated September 1, 1862. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); Hodge, Vol. I, p. 599)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Yellow Creek
Description:This creek is called Yellow Creek after the yellow clay which covers its banks. (Eli Nickell; HIST. LINN COUNTY, (map, p. 8)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names