Lawrence County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Advance School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Albatross
Description:At the junction of United States Highways 66 and 39 there is a small village established in 1926 and named Albatross for the transcontinental Albatross Bus Line. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Aurora
Description:Aurora was laid out May 9, 1870, by S.C. Elliott who owned the land. He named it for the Roman goddess of the dawn. (Haswell (6), II, p. 100; John Cecil)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Aurora Township
Description:Aurora Township was named for Aurora, a town within its boundaries. (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Beck School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Belle View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Big Spring (later Clarkson, q.v.)
Description:The people called this place Big Spring because of its spring and applied for a post office under this name, but their request was refused, and the place became Clarkson. (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blue Hall School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bonnie School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bowers Mill (later Lyon, q.v.) [2 of 2]
Description:This townsite was laid off in 1869 and was named for William Bowers, an early owner of the mill. The name became Lyon during the Civil War, but was changed back to Bowers Mill in 1869. (Eaton (28), p. 184; John Cecil)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bowers Mill [1 of 2]
Description:A pioneer mill on Spring River, was named for the owner, William Bowers, who settled there in 1832. (Missouri (15), p. 558; W.F. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bowers Mill School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bowers Mill Township
Description:Named for the town within its boundaries. (John Cecil; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Buck Prairie (Post Office) [2 of 2]
Description:Buck Prairie (Post office) was named for the prairie which it served as early as 1853. (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Buck Prairie [1 of 2]
Description:Named for a pioneer settler, a Mr. Buck. (John Cecil; W.F. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Buck Prairie School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Buck Prairie Township
Description:Named for Buck Prairie. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Burton Mill
Description:Built about 1850, was on the land of Milo Burton and about three miles above the Dildy Mill. It was named for its owner. (Wellington Terrell; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Center Creek
Description:Center Creek, which flows westward to Spring River through the center of the county, gets its name from its position. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Center School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Chalybeate Springs (later Parish Springs, q.v.)
Description:Named for the mineral in the water. (John Cecil; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cherry Creek
Description:Cherry Creek, north of Mount Vernon, was named for John Cherry, a pioneer who lived along its course. (John Cecil; Missouri (15), p. 394)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cherry Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Chesapeake (post office)
Description:Chesapeake Post Office was named for the flagship, Chesapeake, of the American Captain James Lawrence, who lost his life in the Chesapeake-Shannon fight in 1813 just out of Boston Harbor. (John Cecil; Wellington Terrell)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Chesapeake School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clarkson (earlier Big Spring, q.v.)
Description:When the request for the name of Big Spring was refused about 1880, the Postal Department insisted on the name of Clarkson, for Postmaster General Clarkson. (John Cecil; W.P. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clarkson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clear Creek
Description:Clear Creek, in the southern part of the county and flowing into Spring River, was named by the pioneers for the appearance of the stream. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Concord School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Crescent School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cross School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dale's Mill
Description:Dale's Mill was named for its pioneer owner. (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Downey School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dry Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dunkle's Store (later Lawrenceburgh, q.v.)
Description:Dunkle's Store, a small trading-point, was named for the owner of the store. It lasted until the close of the Civil War, when it was changed to Lawrenceburg(h). (John E. Adamson; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Edgewood School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Elliott
Description:Elliott is a trading-point which was named about 1885 for a man who owned the land upon which the store stood. (John Cecil; W.P. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Elm Branch School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Enright Station
Description:Named for a local landowner. (John Cecil; J.E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fair Play School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fair Veiw School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Felter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Forest Home
Description:Forest Home was the name of a trading-point established soon after the Civil War near the present site of Stotts City (q.v.). It was named for the beautiful forest about the store and the home-like atmosphere surrounding the place. (John Cecil; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Forest Park
Description:Forest Park is that part of Monett which lies inside of Lawrence County. It was named for the beautiful forest there. (John Cecil; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Forest Park Township
Description:Named for the town. (John Cecil; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Freistatt
Description:Freistatt, in a German settlement, was established in 1873 and named for Freistadt, Germany which is about 125 miles southeast of Berlin. There are various spellings in Germany--Freistadt, Freidtaat, and Freisteet--but no reason for the Missouri spelling is known. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Freistatt Township
Description:Named from the town. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gaither
Description:Gaither was named for Ephraim Gaither, a pioneer who was appointed road overseer in 1845. (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gray's Point
Description:Gray's Point, a trading place established about 1880, was named for a local landowner. (Captain Lewis Renfro; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Green Township
Description:Green Township was named for the greeness of the prairie. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hall Post Office (later Halltown q.v.)
Description:Hall Post Office, on the present site of Halltown, was named from the Hall family, local landowners. (J.E. Adamson; W.P. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Halltown (earlier Hall Post Office, q.v.)
Description:Halltown, surveyed by A.B. Waterson, April 28, 1887, was named for the Hall Post Office. (John Cecil; Missouri (15), p. 555)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Heatonville
Description:Heatonville, established on land belonging to Daniel Heaton, was laid out by Heaton and named for him. (J.E. Adamson; Missouri (15), p. 555)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Heatonville School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hoberg
Description:Hoberg was named for Henry Hoberg, who was born in Germany, 1841, came to this country, and served in the Civil War. He settled in Lawrence County in 1885, and died January 2, 1929. (Springfield Leader (67 b)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hoberg School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hoberg Township
Description:Hoberg Township was named for Hoberg. (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Honey Creek
Description:Honey Creek, which rises from Polk Spring and flows westward to Spring River, was so named by pioneers for the abundance of honey in the region. (Captain Lewis Renfro; Missouri (15), p. 394)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Honey Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hopewell School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Independence School (2)
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jackson School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Johnson Creek
Description:Johnson Creek took its name from local landowners, the Johnson family, of which Oliver Johnson, a mill operator, was a member. (See Johnson's Mill) (J.E. Adamson; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Johnson-Cherry Mill
Description:Oliver Johnson and John Cherry had a mill on Johnson Creek known as Johnson-Cherry Mill. (See Johnson's Mill) (J.E. Adamson; Wellington Terrell)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Johnson's Mill (later Spencer, q.v.)
Description:When Oliver Johnson and John Cherry closed the Johnson-Cherry Mill on Johnson Creek, Oliver Johnson built his mill one mile down the creek. (John E. Adamson; Wellington Terrell)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jones Mill
Description:Jones (or Jones') Mill , a pioneer mill on Spring River, was established and operated by a Mr. Jones, from whom it gets its name. (John Cecil; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kendallsville
Description:Kendallsville was laid out August 14, 1886, for H.R. Kendall, Amos Saunders, Reuben Thomas, and their wives, and Charles Simmons. It was named for H.R. Kendall. (Missouri (15), p. 555; John E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lawrence County
Description:Lawrence County was named in honor of Captain James Lawrence who lost his life in the Chesapeake-Shannon fight against the British just out of Boston Harbor in 1813. Representative Cowan introduced in the state legislature, February 24, 1843, a formative act containing the name. Almost exactly half of the county was taken from Dade and the south half from Barry. (Session Acts 1842-1843; Missouri (15), p. 443)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lawrenceburg (earlier Dunkle's Store, q.v.)
Description:A village, in the northeastern part of the county, was named for the county about the close of the Civil War. (John E. Adamson; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lawrenceburg School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lawrenceburg Township (later Ozark Township, q.v.)
Description:Named for the town of Lawrenceburg. (John E. Adamson; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lee School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Liberty School (2)
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Likins Mill
Description:Likins Mill was named for William Likins, who built a mill on Turnback and operated it for several years before the Civil War. (John E. Adamson; Wellington Terrell)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lincoln Township
Description:Named for Abraham Lincoln. (John Cecil; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Line School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lockhart
Description:Lockhart, a station on the Missouri Pacific, was named for W.E. Lockhart, a railroad official, in 1885. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Logan
Description:Logan, laid out on land owned by William and Hetty Logan, April 8, 1870, was named for them. (Eaton (28), p. 184; Missouri (15), p. 554)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lumley's Mill
Description:William Lumley, a Revolutionary soldier serving in 1781-1782, built a mill on a spring branch about six hundred feet from Turnback bear the Terrell Ford about 1835. In 1876 ceremonies were held at the grave and prominent speakers were there and delivered addresses. Peter Runion built a wall about the graves and placed the old mill buhr in the wall at the head of the grave. (J.E. Adamson; Wellington Terrell)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lyon (earlier and later, Bower's Mill, q.v.)
Description:Lyon was the name of the Bower's Mill trading-point during the Civil War and for a short time afterward. It was named for the Union General Lyon who lost his life at the Battle of Wilson's Creek August 10, 1861. This name lasted for only a short time. (John Cecil; J.E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Marionville
Description:Marionville, laid out by James M. Moore, January 28, 1854, was named for the famous Revolutionary general, Francis Marion. (John Cecil; J.E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McCoy's Mill
Description:McCoy's Mill was named for its pioneer builder and owner. (J.E. Adamson; Wellington Terrell)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McKenzie Spring (Store) [2 of 2]
Description:McKenzie Spring, on Spring River, the first store in Lawrence County, was operated by J.H. and George Duncan, beginning in 1833. It was named for the neighboring McKenzie Spring (q.v.). (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McKenzie Spring [1 of 2]
Description:This large spring, on Spring River, was named for its pioneer owner. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McKinley
Description:McKinley, a trading-point established about 1875, was named for an old settler. (Wellington Terrell; John E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McKinley School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McNatt's Store
Description:McNatt's Store, a trading-point three miles northeast of the present site of Aurora, was built in 1849 by John C. McNott and named for him. (Haswell (6), II, 98-9; John Cecil)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Miller
Description:T.A. Miller, a lumberman who built the railroad from Greenfield to Aurora, named Miller for himself in 1890. (J.E. Reich; R.L. Myers)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Minden School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mineral School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Moore School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Comfort School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Pleasant
Description:Mount Pleasant, which served as the county seat of Barry County from 1835 to 1840 before Lawrence County was cut off from Barry, was near the present site of Pierce City. The origin of this name is not known. (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Pleasant School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Pleasant Township
Description:Named for Mount Pleasant, the old county seat of Barry County. (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Vernon
Description:Mount Vernon was laid out May 19, 1845, and was named for George Washington's home in Virginia by order of the county court. (Missouri (15), p. 515; Eaton (28), p. 184)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Vernon Township
Description:Mount Vernon Township was named for Mount Vernon. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Navens Post Office
Description:Named for Congressman Harrison E. Havens, who served the fourth district of Missouri 1870-1874. (John Cecil; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:North Sycamore School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Northfield School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Number Seven School
Description:A numerical name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oak Grove School (2)
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oakland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Olinger
Description:Olinger was named in 1890 for John Olinger, a local landowner, who got a post office there about six months after the place was named for him. (Bert Ruark; J.E. Reich)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Onward School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Opal
Description:Opal is a station on the Missouri Pacific between Aurora and Hoberg. The source of the name is not definitely known, but it is probably from a feminine Christian name. (John Cecil; W.P. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Orange
Description:Orange, a little trading-point in the eastern part of the county, dates back to the Civil War. It was probably named for one of the eight other Oranges in the United States. (Wellington Terrell; John E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ozark Township
Description:Ozark Township was named for the Ozark region. (Wellington Terrell; John E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Paris Springs School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Parish Springs (earlier Chalybeate Springs, q.v.)
Description:Parish Springs was named for Eli Parish who built a hotel and post office near the springs just after the Civil War. (Wellington Terrell; John Cecil)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Phelps
Description:Phelps was named for Colonel Bill Phelps, famous as a Missouri Pacific attorney and lobbyist in the state legislature. He got a post office for the village. (John Cecil; John E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Phelps School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pierce City
Description:Pierce City, laid out by H.C. Young in 1870, was named for Andrew Peirce of Boston who was for some time a president of the Frisco Railroad. The error in spelling was made by the Postal Department. (Eaton (28), p. 184; Missouri (15), p. 525)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pierce City Township
Description:Pierce City Township took its name from the city within its boundaries. (Wellington Terrell; John Cecil)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant View School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Plu
Description:Plu is a little trading-point in the western part of the county. The source of the name is not known. (John Cecil; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Polk Spring
Description:Named by a Mr. Polk, who owned the spring, for himself. (John Cecil; W.P. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie View School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Raithel School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Red Oak
Description:Red Oak is a little store which got its name from the township in which it is located. (John Cecil; W.P. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Red Oak Creek
Description:Red Oak Creek was so named by the pioneers on account of the abundance of red oak trees growing along its course. (John Cecil; W.P. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Red Oak School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Red Oak Township
Description:Red Oak Township got its name from Red Oak Creek. (John Cecil; W.P. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rescue
Description:Rescue is the name of a store on Highway 66. The source of the name is not known. (John Cecil; John E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Roper School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Round Grove
Description:Round Grove was laid out in 1872 by Jonathan Hunt. It was named for the beautiful round grove nearby. (Captain Lewis Renfro; Haswell (6), Vol. II, p. 153)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Round Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Saint Martha
Description:Saint Martha was laid out for William R. Wild, and his wife, Martha, who acknowledged the plat May 9, 1870. It was named for Mrs. Wild. (Missouri (15), p. 555; John E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shaffer School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shanghai School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shiloh School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sly's Mill
Description:This pioneer mill on Center Creek was named for the builder and owner. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Smyrna School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:South Sycamore School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Southbend Post Office
Description:Southbend, a pioneer post office and store in a big bend on Spring River, was so named because of its location on the river. (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spanish Fort
Description:Spanish Fort, three and a half miles south of Mount Vernon on a high eminence between Honey Creek and Spring River, had all the appearance of a fort. It is a popular belief that De Soto built and used the fort. (Haswell (6), Vol. I, p. 303; John Cecil)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spencer (earlier Johnson's Mill, q.v.)
Description:Spencer was a store on the site of the old Johnson's Mill. It was named for the owner. (John Cecil; J.E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spencer School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spring River
Description:Spring River, which rises in the southeastern part of the county and flows westward to the Neosho River, was named in pioneer times for the big spring at its head. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spring River Post Office
Description:This pioneer post office on Spring River was named for the river. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spring River Township
Description:Spring River Township got its name from the river. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stahl's Creek
Description:Stahl's Creek, north of Mount Vernon, is named for a pioneer family who lived along its course. (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stinson
Description:Stinson, a little village in the northern part of the county, was named about 1893 for J.L. Stinson, its first merchant and postmaster. (J.F. Adamson; Lee Yingst)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stinson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stotts City
Description:Stotts City was built on Green C. Stotts' farm in 1890. It was named for the Stotts family who came there in 1837. (Haswell (6), Vol. II, p. 226; John Cecil)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stotts City Township
Description:Stotts City Township was named for the town within its boundaries. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sycamore School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sylvan School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Takein School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Talmage School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Talpa
Description:Talpa is a store established in the 1870s. It was named from the large number of catalpa trees which had been planted along the roadside. (This is a local, rather slangy form of the word. I have not been able to find it in the Standard, Oxford, or Wright dictionaries). (John Cecil; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:The Old Red Mill
Description:This mill, built in 1837 on Spring River, was so named because of the dark red paint. (Haswell (6), Vol. I, p. 298; John Cecil)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Turnback River
Description:A party of pioneers camped on the banks of this river in 1830. Cold weather and rough land caused the party to divide, some going on and entering land and others returning to their home in Tennessee. Because some of the party "turned back" the river was given the name which it bears. (Mrs. C.C. Preston (letter); John Cecil)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Turnback Township
Description:Turnback Township got its name from Turnback River. (Wellington Terrell; John E. Adamson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union Hall School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union Joy School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union School (2)
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Verona
Description:Verona was named in 1868 for the Italian town of that name. It was surveyed and incorporated under the name in May, 1870. (J.B. Moore; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Vinyard
Description:Named from a pioneer family. (John Cecil; W.P. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Vinyard Township
Description:Named from the town of Vinyard. (W.P. Smith; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wade School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wheeler School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:White Hall School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:White Oak Creek
Description:White Oak Creek is in the northwestern part of the county and flows to Spring River. It was named for the white oak trees along the stream. (John E. Adamson; J.E. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wilks School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Williams Creek
Description:Williams Creek was named for one of the first settlers from Tennessee to this section. (John Cecil; J.B. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wolf School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Yingst Post Office
Description:Yingst Post Office was a post office in the northern edge of the county soon after the Civil War. "It was named for the postmaster, my older brother." (Lee Yingst; J.F. Boucher)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Zinn's Mill
Description:This mill, built in the late 1830s near the head of Spring River, was built by and named for Henry Zinn. (J.F. Boucher; W.P. Smith)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Zion School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names