Laclede County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Abo
Description:A post office in the northeast corner of Osage Township since 1891. It is a famous fishing resort. Named by Jesse Ballinger who operated a mill at the place. He believed that Abo was an Indian word for house or home. According to Hodge, Abo was a former Pueblo of the Tampiros division of the Piros in New Mexico. It was a mission in 1598, but was abandoned becuause of the depredations of the Apache. There is another Abo in Missouri in McDonald County. (Cram, p. 26; Postal Guide; Hodge, Indian Handbook, p. 6; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Agnes
Description:A discontinued post office (1897-1932) in south-central Franklin Township. Named for the wife of Charles Handley. (Cram; J.W. Holman, Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Alexander School
Description:In Auglaize Township. Named for James L. Alexander. (Road Map; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Antioch Church
Description:A Baptist Church in Osage Township, organized September 25, 1879. Cf. above. (Road Map; Duncan; HIST. OF BAPT. IN MISSOURI, p. 641)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Applings
Description:A long abandoned Hamlet in Osage Township, listed as a post office in 1861. Named for J.P. Applings, a pioneer. (Colton 1861; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Atchley
Description:An abandoned village in Lebanon Township. Named for John Eubank Atchley, native of Virginia who came to the region in 1838. (Board of Imm. Map 1915; HIST. LACLEDE 1889, p. 925; Dr. J.B. Atchley)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Atlantic and Pacific Railroad
Description:See St. Louis and San Francisco.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Atoka
Description:A discontinued post office (1888-1910), in Smith Township. Named by the postmaster after Atoka County in Oklahoma, his home. According to Hodge, Atoka is the name of the extinct Crane clan of the of the Hopi tribe. Read explains that the source of the name is Choctaw Hitoka or hotoka, "ball ground." Hitoka was likewise popular as the name of one who had become famous as a ball player. In 1830 a certain Toko was one of the thiry captains in the old Choctaw nation. According to Gould, the Oklahoma County was named from a noted Choctaw, Captain Atoka, a famous ball player. In 1830 a certain Toko was one of the thirty captains in the old Choctaw nation. According to Gould, the Oklahoma County was named from a noted Choctaw, Captain Atoka, a famous ball player. (Postal Guide; Hodge, p. 112; Cram; Eaton, p. 183; Read, p. 5; Tom Wood, Gould, p. 56)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Auglaize Church
Description:A Christian Church in Auglaize Township, organized in 1858. Named for the stream. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 93)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Auglaize Township
Description:Located in the north-central part of the county, formed from Hooker Township in 1874. Named for the Dry Auglaize which flows through it. (HIST. LACLEDE 1889, p. 33)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bacon School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for Tom Bacon, once county collector, who gave the school land. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Ballew's House
Description:A landmark on the Gasconade River. The site of the home of the first settler, Jesse Ballew. (Nyberg, p. 1)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Ballinger's Mill
Description:An abandoned mill in Osage Township on Mill Creek. Named for its owner and operator, Jesse Ballinger. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 15)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Ball's Mill
Description:See Orla.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Barnett School
Description:In Franklin Township. Named for Marion Barnett, on whose land the school was built. (Road Map; Mrs. McKesson)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bath
Description:A discontinued post office (1888-1904), in Gasconade Township. Named by the Clanton family for Bath County, Kentucky, their old home. (Cram; Postal Guide; Mrs. Belle Southard)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bean Ford
Description:A crossing on the Osage Fork of the Gasconade in the vicinity of the farm of Moses Bean, a lawyer, who settled in the vicinity in 1840. (HIST. LACLEDE 1889, p. 21; N.A. Goss)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bear Creek
Description:Rises three miles east of Lebanon in Osage Township; winds northeast and easterly to flow into the Gasconade in Pulaski County. Named because bears were hunted along the banks in the early days. (HIST. LACLEDE 1889, p. 16; Campbell, p. 26; Oscar Honnesinger)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bearthicket School
Description:In Phillipsburg Township. Named for its location in heavy underbrush which was a favored spot for bears. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Beckner School House
Description:An abandoned school district in Lebanon Township. One of the first schools in the county, it was named in honor of Van Beckner, an old settler. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 92; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bee Branch
Description:A small creek in Washington Township that flows south to Cobbs Stream. Named for the bee trees along the bank in early days. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bee Branch School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for the stream. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bellefonte
Description:A discontinued post office (1860-1876) in Osage Township. Name adapted from the Bellefontaine district in St. Louis, which is French for beautiful fountain. (Missouri Gaz. 1860, 1876; Mrs. Margaret Donnelly)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bennett Spring
Description:A post office and spring on the border of Dallas and Laclede Counties. It takes its name from a former mill owner, and has long been a landmark in the countryside. As early as 1805, the place appears on maps, listed as Big Spring. The term was, no doubt, descriptive of its size. In 1840 or soon after, James Brice secured a patent to the land and the place became known as Brice Spring or Bryce Spring. By 1855 Bryce had built a mill and there has been one at the spring since that time, although the present mill is used only to generate electricity. Brice's daughter married a W.S. Bennett and the Bennetts ran the mill, which then came to be known as Bennett's Mill. When the post office was established in 1901, it was named Brice and that name was used until February 1, 1939, when the name was changed to Bennett Spring to avoid confusion. The state park which was established at the place in 1923 was named Bennett Springs, and the public was unable to remember that the post office had a different name. The spring is the setting for Harold Bell Wright's book, THE CALLING OF DAN MATTHEWS. Mr. Wright was for a number of years a minister in Dallas and Laclede Counties. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 24; Nyberg, p. 105; Postal Guide; Silas Bennett; D.W. Darby; SPRINGFIELD NEWS, January 24, 1939)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bennett Spring State Park
Description:A state fish hatchery located on the Dallas-Laclede County line. Named for W.S. Bennett, who owned the farm at the time the park was established in 1923. (STORY OF MISSOURI Ryle & Garner, p. 315; Silas Bennett)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bennett's Mill
Description:See Bennett Spring.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bensborough
Description:A long- deserved village in Auglaize Township. Named by a Mr. Brooks Lambeth early in the 1850s after one of his children. The - borough is a suffix meaning city, town. (Colton 1857, 1861; Dee Lambeth)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bethel Camp Ground
Description:A Methodist preaching station established in 1885 about seven miles southeast of Lebannon. Cf. above. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 90)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bethlehem Church
Description:A Baptist Church in Lebanon Township. Organized October 2, 1874. Cf. above. (Duncan; HIST. BAPT. IN MISSOURI, p. 641)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bidwell
Description:A discontinued post office (1890-1918) in western Auglaize Township. The village was first called Partlow (1890-1896) for J.W. Partlow, an early lawyer who was county court justice and interested in building a railroad which was never completed. The mail was constantly mixed with Portland, so A.V. Davenport, the postmaster, changed the name to that of his wife's family. (Postal Guide; HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 45; Don Vernon; Homer Davenport; Missouri Gaz. (1890), p. 925)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Big Cobbs Creek
Description:Rises in Franklin Township and flows north into the Osage Fork of the Gasconade. Named for John Cobbs, who lived in the vicinity for years. The "Big" distinguishes it from another Cobbs Creek. (Campbell, p. 26; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Blackbird School
Description:In Gasconade Township. Named because of the number of Blackbirds in the vicinity. (Road Map; Mrs. Belle Southard)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Blackfeet School
Description:A rural school in Hooker Township. Named for the Blacfeet Indian tribe, who were prominent in the news at the time the school was named. (Road Map; MSTR; J. Holtz)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bland School
Description:In Lebanon Township. Named in honor of Richard P. (Silver Dick") Bland (1835-1899), who was once considered a possible candidate for the presidency and who was a leader in the free silver campaigns at the end of the century. (Road Map; Mrs. M. Donnelly)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bolles School
Description:In Spring Hollow Township. Named for the family who donated the land. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Brice
Description:See Bennett Spring.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Brice Spring
Description:See Bennett Spring.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Brownfield
Description:A post office in the eastern part of Gasconade Township since 1933. Named for Riley Brownfield, postmaster. (Platbook (1931); Don Vernon; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Brown's Mill
Description:The first water-power grist mill on the Niangua River was built in 1844 by Jesse Brown. No trace of the mill remains today. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 29; Homer Davenport)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Brush Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A small creek that rises in Union Township and flows east, emptying into the Osage in Washington Township. Named for undergrowth along its margin. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 26; Bridgie Sheehan)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Brush Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A hamlet in the southwestern part of Lebanon Township which is a flagstop on the Frisco Railroad and has been a post office since 1860. Named for the stream. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 70; Cram, p. 26; Don Vernon; Postal Guide; Missouri Gaz. (1860), p. 31)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bryce Spring
Description:See Bennett Spring.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Bugtown
Description:See Success School House.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Candock School
Description:In Lebanon Township. Named for the family on whose land the school was built. (HIST. LACLEDE (1926), p. 71; Mrs. Mary Webber)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Cannon School
Description:In Spring Hollow Township. Named for the Cannon family, old settlers. (Road Map; Mrs. Mary Ogletree)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Carroll
Description:A village in Smith Township. Now non-existent. Named for W.C. Carroll, who had an apple orchard there. (Cram; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Case
Description:A town located in Hooker Township; a post office from 1870 to 1876. Now has entirely disappeared. Named for John Case, an early settler who in 1830 drove the first four-horse team from the region of St. Louis. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 29; Cram; Campbell; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Cave Springs [1 of 2]
Description:In Washington Township. A number of springs flow from a large cave, considered the best cave in the county. Hence the name. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 16; J.C. Davis)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Cave Springs [2 of 2]
Description:A post office in Washington Township in 1837 when the county was part of Pulaski. Named for the springs (q.v.). (Wetmore's GAZETTEER, p. 291; Campbell)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Celeste
Description:In the northwestern part of Gasconade Township. A post office from 1900-1905. (Cram; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Central School
Description:In southeastern Gasconade Township. A school built between Blackbird and Sycamore Schools when a division of the districts became necessary. Hence the name. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Cobbs Stream
Description:Rises in Osage Township and flows southeast and northeast into Osage Fork of the Gasconade. Named for a pioneer family. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 15; Campbell, p. 25; Drussa Davis)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Colenso
Description:Located in Smith Township. A post office from 1901-1910. Nothing could be learned of the origin of the name. (Cram; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Competition
Description:On the Osage Fork of the Gasconade in Franklin Township, twenty-two miles southeast of Lebanon. Post office since 1867. The first settler, R.L. Nelson, came in 1842 and named the place Newburg, of obvious significance. A man named Roar built a store and had a post office three miles northwest. Ben Moore put up a mill close to the same vicinity. During the war Roar was killed. After the war the people voted to erect a school and chose Nelson's place from among the three. There was already a post office Newburg, so the people decided to call the town Competition. (HIST. LACLEDE (1926), p. 106; C ram; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Conn School
Description:In Hooker Township. Named for Win Conn, an early settler in the district. (Road Map; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Conway
Description:A town in Union Township, laid out in 1869. A post office since 1876. Named for the first storekeeper. When the railroad came in 1869, they built the station about one-half mile from the original store and called it New Conway. Gradually the two settlements grew together and the "New" was dropped. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 11; Cram; D. Polson; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Coon Hollow
Description:In Gasconade Township. Named for Caleb Coon, an old settler who came from Ohio. (Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Cox Crossing School
Description:In Smith Township. Built at a point where the railroad crosses the road near the farm of Jim Cox. The point is known as Cox Crossing. The school name is borrowed from that. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Cross Roads School
Description:In Osage Township. Named for its location near the intersection of two roads. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Culpepper-Shannon College
Description:Located in Gasconade Hotel, Lebanon. Opened in 1899. The college had 89 students and had made a good start, when on September 21, 1899, it burned and Lebanon's college hopes with it. Several efforts were made to revive it, and school was held for a while over a store in the business district. Named after Messrs. Culpepper and Shannon who started it. (Nyberg, p. 81)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Dance Yard Hollow
Description:In Hooker Township. The hollow was settled in 1852 by W.A. Mullican (spelled also Mullicane). At the mouth of the hollow was a large yard used by the Indians for their dances. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 24; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Davis School
Description:In Mayfield Township. Named for Jim Tune Davis, farmer, preacher, and schoolteacher, who taught the school in early days and lived in the neighborhood all his life. (Road Map; Mrs. Mary Ogletree)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Debery
Description:A village between Mill Creek and Dry Auglaize in Auglaize Township. Named for John Debery, leading citizen. (R. McN. (1904); Homer Davenport)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Delmar
Description:A town in the central part of Auglaize Township. Probably named for Delmar Avenue in St. Louis. (Cram, p. 26; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Delto
Description:See Lyons.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Delton School
Description:In Franklin Township. Named for Frank Delton, farmer in the district. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Detherage School
Description:In Franklin Township. Named for J.C. Deatherage. (Road Map; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Dove
Description:A discontinued post office (1900-1929), in Auglaize Township. Named because the office was located near Davis Pond, which was a favorite place for doves. Dove is a term used in the locality for pigeons. (Cram; Shad Casey; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Drew
Description:A discontinued post office (1895-1920) in the central part of Franklin Township. Named for S.E. Drew, an old settler. (Platbook (1930); E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Dry and Dusty Cemetery
Description:Named from the church. (Road Map; G.C. Jones; Robert Warren)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Dry and Dusty Church
Description:A Methodist Church now disbanded. See Dry and Dusty School.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Dry and Dusty School
Description:A very old school in Washington Township. Residents feel certain the name must be an example of pioneer humor, of the ironical variety. The school church, and cemetery are all on low land. G.C. Jones, superintendent of schools, says he has had more trouble with wet, muddy roads in the region of "Dry and Dusty" than any other place in the county. (Road Map; G.C. Jones; Robert Warren)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Dry Auglaize Creek
Description:The stream rises near Lebanon Township and flows in a northerly direction into the Osage Fork of the Gasconade in Camden County. A large stream bed, dry over large areas for most of the year. Known locally as Dry Glaize or Glaize. Glaize is a French word for clay or red earth which is descriptive of the country, and Auglaize means "at the clay or clayey soil." (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 14; Campbell, p. 26; Homer Davenport; Wetmore Map (1837)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Dry Glaize
Description:A post office kept at a private house ten miles north of Lebanon from 1867 to 1910. In Auglaize Township. Named for the stream. (Missouri Gaz. (1879; Cram; Postal Guide; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Dry Glaize Creek
Description:See Dry Auglaize Creek.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Drynob
Description:A village and post office in Osage Township since 1876. Named for its location on a bald hill, called a knob, above the Osage Fork. (Postal Guide; Cram, p. 26; Mrs. Mary Webber)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Eldridge
Description:A village in Eldridge Township, twelve miles northwest of Lebanon. Founded in 1884, but a post office in 1876. Named for S.N. Eldridge, one of the early settlers prominent in county affairs. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 72; Don Vernon; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Eldridge Township
Description:Formed from the northern half of Hooker Township in 1874. Named for S.N. Eldridge, an old settler. (Platbook of Laclede (1930); Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Evans Chapel
Description:A Methodist Church in Osage Township, probably the first Methodist group in the county. Named for Joe Evans, a blind preacher and farmer. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 90; George Pease)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Falcon
Description:A village in Gasconade Township. A post office since 1910. Named by the postal department. William Woods was the postmaster at that time, and he was given no reason for the name selected. (Cram; Platbook (1930), Mrs. Belle Southard)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Farris's Mill
Description:An early mill on the Osage. Built by Robert Farris and named for him. (Leo Nyberg)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Fate
Description:A discontinued post office (1910-1924) in Hooker Township. Named for the postmaster Lafayette Thrailkill, whose name was shortened to Fate to suit the dimension of the postal "ring" or stamp. (Platbook; 1930; Postal Guide; Don Vernon )
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:First Congregational Church
Description:In Lebanon. Organized in 1869. Named because it was the first church of the denomination in the county. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 97)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:First Railroad Addition
Description:An addition to Lebanon, laid out in 1869 when the railroad reached the town but failed to come closer then one and a half miles. The town has now moved to the railroad addition, and the old town is practically deserted. So named because the railroad was the cause of the addition. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 38; J. Holt)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Flag Pond Church
Description:A Missionary Baptist Church, established in 1844, one mile northwest of Lebanon. In 1850 moved to Goodwin Hollow where it survived in 1889. Cumberland Presbyterians met with them for a while at Flag Spring, but moved to a log church at Williams Pond (q.v.). Disbanded during the Civil War. Not in existence today. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 87)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Flag Spring
Description:A spring and pond in Spring Hollow Township. Named for the reeds that grew around the edges of the pond. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889) , p. 87; N.A. Hough)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Flat Rock Church
Description:A Methodist Church eight miles south of Lebanon. Named for a large flat rock in Brush Creek which is nearby. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 9; D. Polson)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Forkner's Hill
Description:A post office located on the county line and at present listed in Webster County. Named for a pioneer family, it is listed in Laclede in 1860 and 1871 and in Dallas from 1873 to 1886. (Postal Guide; Charles Smithpeters; Campbell (1874), p. 186; Campbell (1873), p. 26; HIST. LACLEDE (1887), p. 692; Mo. Gaz. (1860); Colton (1871)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Franklin School
Description:In Franklin Township. Named from the township. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Franklin Township
Description:Located in the southeastern part of the county, formed from Osage Township in 1874. Named for Franklin County, Missouri. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 34; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Friendship Church
Description:A Baptist Church in Auglaize Township. An ideal name. (Road Map; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Friendship School
Description:In Auglaize Township. Named from the church. (Road Map; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Frisco
Description:See St. Louis and San Francisco.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Fyan
Description:A village in Gasconade Township; a post office since 1876. Named for Robert W. Fyan (1830-1901) of Springfield, who was Colonel of Company B, 46th Infantry, Missouri, raised in Laclede in 1864. Fyan was later a congressman from the district. (Cram; Homer Davenport; Conard, vol. 2, p. 544; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Gasconade River
Description:Flows north through Gasconade Township into Pulaski County, reenters Laclede and flows through Smith and Mayfield Townships and finally flows into the Missouri near Jefferson City. Named by French settlers after the Gascons, inhabitants of Gascony in France, who were distinguished for bragging and blustering. The waters of the river are boisterous and noisy; hence the name. Another explanation is simply that Gascons lived in the region around the river. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 14; Campbell, p. 26; Homer Davenport; Wetmore (1837), p. 246)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Gasconade Township
Description:Located in the southeastern corner of the county, established in 1874, being formed from Osage Township. Named for the river. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 33)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Glaize Creek
Description:See Dry Auglaize Creek.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Goodine Hollow
Description:See Goodwin Hollow.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Gooding's Hollow
Description:See Goodwin Hollow.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Goodwin Hollow
Description:Located in Lebanon Township. Named after Peter Goodwin, who was one of the first settlers in the region, coming about 1836. He was a powerfully built man. Many stories are told about his snoring which some declared to be as loud as the bellowing of a bull. Spelled Goodine Hollow on the Studley Map (1871), and Gooding's Hollow in the Plat Book of Laclede County (1931), doubtless as closer approximations to the local pronunciation. (Campbell; HIST. LACLEDE, p. 14; Don Vernon; Studley Map of Missouri (1871); Plat Book Laclede (1930)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Goodwin Hollow Church
Description:A Missionary Baptist Church organized in Goodwin Hollow in 1850. Named for its location. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 87; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Goodwin Hollow Creek
Description:Rises in Lebanon Township; runs north and empties into Dry Auglaize near the northern boundary of the county. Named for Goodwin Hollow. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 14; Campbell, p. 26)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Goodwin School
Description:In Auglaize Township. Named for the creek. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Grace
Description:A post office from 1915 to 1928, in the center part of Eldridge Township. Named for Grace Devine, the postmaster's daughter. (Cram; Don Vernon; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Greenstreet School
Description:In Auglaize Township. Named for John Greenstreet, prominent lawyer and capitalist, who aided in organizing the district. (Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hamilton White College
Description:Located in Lebanon in the old Gasconade Hotel building. Opened about 1895 and closed in 1898. Named after the founder, who was an adventurer and promoter. (HIST. LACLEDE (1926), p. 79; Mrs. Margaret Donnelly)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hanson Addition
Description:An addition to Conway in 1882. Named for Chris Hanson, storekeeper and leading citizen. (D. Polson; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Harmony Church
Description:In Gasconade Township. An ideal name. (Road Map; Oscar Honnesinger)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Harmony School
Description:In Gasconade Township. Named from the church. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hawkin's Leg
Description:See Smith Township.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hay Cut Hollow
Description:In Lebanon Township. Named because the bottom of the hollow was fairly level and grass grown, so the owner found it profitable to cut the hay from it. (Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hazeldell School
Description:In Washington Township. An environmental name. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hazlegreen
Description:In the northeastern part of Smith Township. A post office since 1870. Named because of the hazel brush which grows in the vicinity. (CRAM; J.W. Brownfield; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Heard School
Description:In Franklin Township. Named for T.R. Heard, land owner in the district. (Road Map; N.A. Hough)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:In Smith Township. An environmental name. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hickory Valley
Description:A region in northeastern Union Township. Named for the trees in the vicinity. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 88; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hickory Valley Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Description:See Phillipsburg Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Highway 66
Description:The principal Federal highway, which crosses the county from the southwest corner to the northeast corner and was assigned the number "66" by the Federal authorities. Through this section, however, "66" is rather historical having been originally the old "Indian Trail" or Kickapoo Trace which was established before the coming of the settlers. During the Civil War, the road was called the Old Military Road because Lyons and Phelps used it during maneuvers before and after the Battle of Wilson Creek. After the war, the first telegraph line was stretched along it and the road became the "Wire Road." The St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad built its track along the road, and it became known as the Springfield Road or the St. Louis Road. The advent of the motor car and the good roads program resulted in the name, Highway 66. All six names refer to practically the same road, the modern highway making the most radical departure from the Old Indian trail. (Leo Nyberg)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hooker Township
Description:In the northwestern corner of the county, one of the five original townships; established in 1849; subdivided in 1874. Named for Math N. Hooker, who was an early resident of the district; the first election was held in his home. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 32; Campbell (1873), p. 26)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hopewell School
Description:A disbanded school district in Osage Township, organized August 1, 1853. An ideal name. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 83; N.A. Hough)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Horseshoe Pond
Description:A large pond about two miles from Lebanon which is named from its shape. (Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hough School
Description:In Franklin Township. Named for Patton Hough. (Road Map; Mrs. Belle Southard)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Hovey Hollow
Description:In Gasconade Township. Named for Harry Hovey, farmer who owns the hollow. (Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Huben
Description:A railroad switch in Union Township. Named for Jim Huben, a railroad official. (Cram; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Independence School House
Description:In Washington Township. An ideal name. (Road Map; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Indian Trail
Description:See Highway 66.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Ira
Description:A village in the northwestern part of Eldridge Township. A post office since 1899. Named for Ira Waterman, preacher, farmer, merchant, schoolteacher, and notary public. (Cram; Postal Guide; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Ivey School
Description:In Spring Hollow Township. Named for Hartel Ivey, farmer in the district. (Road Map; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Jericho
Description:A hamlet and discontinued post office (1867-1879) three miles east from Conway in Union Township. It was first settled by Jeremiah Russell, who opened a store there in 1850. Name given because of the isolation of the place, Jericho given because of the isolation of the place, Jericho being a synonym for the end of the earth, as in the phrase,"From here to Jericho." Jericho of course is a Biblical name, (Luke 10:30). (MO. Gazetteer (1860), P. 138, HIST. LACLEDE (1926), p. 20; Don Vernon; Leo Nyberg)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Kapp School
Description:In Lebanon Township. Named for Lydia and Louise Kapp. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Keck School
Description:In Lebanon Township. Burned in January, 1937, and district was consolidated with Lebanon. Named for John Keck, who gave the school land. (Road Map; Rose Keck)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Keener School
Description:In Hooker Township. Named for a family who resided in the community. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Kickapoo Trace
Description:See Highway 66.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Knob School
Description:In Lebanon Township. Named for its location on a hill or knob. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Laclede and Ft. Scott Railroad
Description:A railroad which was never built but which burdened the county with a huge debt which kept it handicapped for years. Tday there is not an inch of railroad in Dallas County. The contract for the railroad read that the road bed should be graded and ready for the cross ties. This much of the work was completed, but the ties were never laid. Nevertheless the people of the county were forced to pay off the bonded indebtedness. An old settler tells of members of the county court going to jail for contempt of court, and various other means which were employed to avoid payment, but ultimately they were paid off. Laclede County was affected, but not so seriously as Dallas. The road was to have run between Lebanon, Laclede County, and Fort Scott, Kansas. (HIST. DALLAS , p. 520; Harvey Morrow)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Laclede County
Description:Located in south-central Missouri, bounded by Camden and Pulaski on the north, on the east by Pulaski and Texas, on the south by Wright andf Webster, and on the west by Dallas. Formed from Pulaski County. The petition to form the county passed the state legislature March 27, 1845, and the first election was held the first Monday in April, 1849. Named by the legislature to honor Pierre Liguest Laclede, founder of St. Louis, who died June 20, 1778. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 3; Eaton, MISSOURI HIST. REV., vol. 2, p. 182)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Laird
Description:A discontinued post office in south-central Hooker Township. Named for the Laird family, who had the store in which the office was established. (Cram; Virginia McKesson; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Lebanon
Description:The county seat and largest town in Laclede County, located in the eastern part of Lebanon Township. A post office since 1853, the railroad has been through the town since 1869. The county seat was located in 1849 by Thomas Whitacre of Miller, John Duncan of Pulaski, and Washington Henson of Dallas. It was named after Lebanon, Tennessee, from which many of the settlers had come. On account of the refusal of the townspeople to give the railroad money and land, the station was built about three miles from the town, which gradually moved to the railroad. The sections are still referred to as old and new towns. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 38; (1926), p. 88; Postal Guide; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Lebanon Township
Description:Located in center slightly to the western part of the county; one of the five original townships, established in 1849. Named for the town. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 31)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Liberty Church
Description:A Methodist Church in Washington Township. An ideal name. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 91; Mrs. Mary Ogletree)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:In Lebanon Township. An ideal name. (Road Map; Mrs. Mary Ogletree)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Line City
Description:A discontinued post office (1883) near the Wright County line. Named for its location. (Missouri Gaz. (1883); Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Lonesome Hill School House
Description:In Union Township. A descriptive name. (Road Map; D. Polson)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Lower O'Dell School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for John O'Dell. When the district was divided, the "Lower" was added to distinguish it from the "Upper" O'Dell. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Loyalty
Description:South-central part of Hooker Township. A post office from 1918 to 1929, in the south-central part of Hooker Township. An ideal name given by Joe Wilson. The place was a "one-man town," devoted to its leading citizen. (Cram; Fred Morgan; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Lynchburg
Description:Located in the southeastern part of Gasconade Township. A post office from 1899. Named for David Lynch and his brother R.D. Lynch. (Cram; Fred Morgan; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Lyons
Description:A town in the north-central part of Franklin Township. A post office was established in 1876 under the name of Delto, an adaption of "delta," given because of the location on the river bottom of the Osage. In 1915 the name was changed to Lyons, which is the name of the family who had the store and the post office there. (Cram; J.W. Brownfield; Newton Stewart; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Marple School
Description:In Eldridge Township. Named for a family who formerly owned the land. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Marvin Chapel
Description:A Methodist chapel located four miles east of Lebanon. Named in honor of Bishop Enoch M. Marvin, (1823-1877) an unusually effective circuit rider who later became Bishop. He was the most renowned of the early ministers, being selected as outstanding minister of Missouri for the Centennial in 1904. His mother was a member of the Mather family of Massachusetts. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 90; McAnally, METHODISM in Missouri, vol. 2, p. 27; Bryand & Rose, PIONEERS (1876), p. 416)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:May Apple
Description:A village and post office in Hooker Township before the Civil War. Named for the wild flowers which grew in the fields. The may apple is a herbaceous plant (Podophyllum peltatum), which appears in May. (Missouri Gaz. (1860); Nova McKelvey; O.E.D.)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mayfield School House
Description:In Lebanon Township. Named for the Mayfield family, many of whom were prominent in the district. (MSTR; Mrs. Mary Ogletree)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mayfield Township
Description:Located in the northeastern part of the county. Was at first part of Smith Township, from which it was formed in 1875. Named for William R. Mayfield, who settled here in 1853. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 34)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:McGrath
Description:A village in Hooker Township. A post office since 1889. Named for Secretary of State Michael K. McGrath (1835-1901) from St. Louis. McGrath came to St. Louis from Ireland and became clerk of the criminal court, state senator, and finally Secretary of State of Missouri for fourteen years, serving under Governors Hardin, Phelps, Crittenden, Marmaduke, and Morehouse. (R. McN. (1933); Conard, p. 264, vol. 4; Postal Guide; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Military Road
Description:See Highway 66.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mill Creek
Description:Rises in Osage Township and flows east to Osage Fork of Gasconade River. Named because Jess Ballinger and others had a mill on its banks years ago. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 15; Campbell, p. 26; Oscar Honnesinger)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mill Creek School
Description:In Osage Township. Named for the creek. The school is known locally as Shakerag. The term is explained as being a name applied to a poor but light-hearted district that is given to dancing and singing. This explanation differs from that found in other sections of Missouri. (Road Map; G.C. Jones; A. Roberts)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Monarch
Description:Located in the northwestern part of Gasconade Township. A discontinued post office (1915-1928) deep in the Gasconade glade. I was unable to find anyone who knew why it was so named and an attempt to drive to it resulted in failure as the road was completely unmarked. (Cram, p. 26)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Montgomery Mill
Description:The first mill in the county, built on the Gasconade River in 1925 by Robert Montgomery. (Nyberg, p. 18)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Moon Valley
Description:In Hooker Township. A descriptive name given the region by Henry C. Flowers of Kansas City who owns a show stock farm in the valley. (HIST. LACLEDE (1926), p. 170)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Morehouse School House
Description:In Gasconade Township. Named for Andrew Morehouse, prominent farmer in the district. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Morgan
Description:A town in the southeastern part of Washington Township. A post office since 1879. Named for Asa Morgan, a Confederate officer who settled in the county after the war. (Postal Guide; Plat Book (1930); Fred Morgan)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mount Satchel School
Description:In Mayfield Township. Named from the school book satchel that the children carried. The mount was affixed because the school was on a hill. This rather fanciful name was given by Oscar Honnesinger. (Road Map; Oscar Honnesinger)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mount Zion Church
Description:A Baptist Church in Spring Hollow Township. Cf. above. (Road Map; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mount Zion School
Description:In Washington Township. Named from the church. (Road Map; Leo Nyberg)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mountain Creek School
Description:In Hooker Township. Named for the Mountain Stream. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mountain Stream
Description:Rises in Hooker Township; runs north into the Niangua in Laclede. Named from the swift nature of the stream. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 15; Campbell, p. 26; N.A. Goss)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mountain View Church
Description:A Missionary Baptist Church in Eldridge Township. Now disbanded, it was organized October 2, 1873. A descriptive name. (Duncan, HIST. BAPT. IN MISSOURI, p. 641)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mt. Salem Church
Description:In Osage Township. Named by John Roberts from the Bible name for Jerusalem, a Hebrew word meaning peace. (Road Map; Albert Roberts)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mt. Salem School
Description:In Osage Township. Named from the church. (Road Map; Albert Roberts)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Mullicane School
Description:In Hooker Township. Named for W.A. Mullicane, an early doctor and settler in the community. Also spelled Mullican. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 24; Nyberg, 1926, p. 19)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Myers Creek
Description:A small stream that rises in Osage Township and flows west to the Osage River. Named for an early family. (Campbell, p. 26; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Nebo
Description:A very old village in central Gasconade Township. A post office since 1870. A Bible name for the mountain range of which Mount Pisgah was a peak (Deut. 34:1). (Cram; Don Vernon; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Nehemgar
Description:See Niangua.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Nelson School
Description:In Gasconade Township. Named for Jim Nelson who gave the land for the school. (Road Map; Mrs. Belle Southard)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Nelson's Dream Village
Description:A tourist village in Lebanon Township. Built in 1934 and so named by its owner R. L. Nelson because it is a perfect or "dream" resort. The place is already a landmark on Highway 66. Mr. Nelson says his father dreamed the plan for the village, complete with fountain and bird houses, and then built it. (R. McN.; H.R. Nelson)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:New Conway
Description:See Conway.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Newburg
Description:See Competition.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Newton School
Description:In Washington Township. Named for a family who formerly owned the land. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Niangua River
Description:The stream rises in Dallas County, flows north along the boundary between Dallas and Laclede Counties, which it crosses six times. It continues north through Camden County to empty into the Osage River. The name probably comes from an Indian word "Ne anoge" which means water that runs over a person. In the United States Ethnology Bulletin No. 109 the word is listed ne - water, anoge - runs over a person. Earlier forms of the river's name are listed by Pike as Nehemgar and Yungar. He writes that it derives its name from the vast number of springs at its source and that it was supposed to be nearly as extensive as the Osage, and was celebrated for the abundance of bear. County histories and old settlers say that the word comes from an Indian phrase, "I won't go away," or his expression of objection to go-on or on-go and leave his native place. This is plainly an after-the-fact explanation. Spelled Yungar on map of 1805 (photostatic copy). (HIST. DALLAS (1889), p. 497; Conard, vol. 2, p. 218; U.S. Ethnology Bulletin, No. 109; Sampson "Glimpses of Old Missouri by Exploreres & Travelers" MISSOURI H.R., vol. 1, No. 4, p. 255; Hodge's Handbook of American Indians)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Nixon
Description:A recently established post office in Eldridge Township. Named for the J.P. Nixon, who had the store. (Road Map; Fred Colby)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Nurse School
Description:In Osage Township. Named for D.B. Nurse. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Oak Grove Church
Description:A Baptist Church in Lebanon Township established in 1868. Named for its location. (Duncan, BAPTIST IN MISSOURI, p. 641)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Oakland
Description:A very old settlement in southwestern Osage Township. Settled by Samuel Monholen in 1830, it has been a post office since 1853. Named for the trees in the settlement. (Cram, p. 226; Missouri Gaz. (1860: Postal Guide; Oscar Honnesinger)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Oakland Church
Description:Located eight miles southeast of Lebanon and includes forty acres of land. A very old Moravian church, established about 1838, and named for the settlement of Oakland. (HIST . LACLEDE, p. 96; Oscar Honnesinger)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Oakland School
Description:A rural school in Osage Township. Named for the settlement. (MSTR; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Orgianna
Description:A post office from 1902 to 1920 in the southeastern section of Franklin Township. No explanation was found. (Cram; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Orla
Description:West of central in Franklin Township; a post office since 1886. Originally called Ball's Mill after an old Tennessean who built a mill there. He gave the post office the name "Orla" after one of his sons. Later Ball killed a man and leaving his clothes on the bank of the Osage, disappeared. Years later he came back to the community and died there. Very rough wild country. Also spelled Orle, Orley. (Cram; Don Vernon; Postal Guide; Plat Book (1930)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Osage Fork
Description:A post office listed in 1860. No one had any recollection of it, but thought it must have been in Osage Township and named for the river. (Missouri Gaz. (1860)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Osage Fork of the Gasconade
Description:A large river which runs northeast through Webster County and enters Laclede in Washington Township, flows northeast through the county into Pulaski and ultimately into the Gasconade. Named for the Osage Indians who lived in the region. The original name of the tribe, which was one of the most important Siouan tribes in the western division of Indians, was Waca-se or, according to Long, Waw-sash - e or Wassashsha. The word Wa-ca-ce means "people." The tribe was known to others as the Pa-he-tsi "campers on mountains" and U-tseh-ta, "campers on lowland," but they called themselves Wa-ca-ce. The word is found in various modified forms. Marquette, who give the first historical notice of the tribe in 1673, spelled it "Ouchage" and "Autrechaha;" on Franqulin's map it appears "Zages" and Penicaut writes it "Huzzaus," "ous," and "Wawhas." (Houck, HIST. MISSOURI, vol. 1, pp. 177-179; HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 14; Campbell, p. 26)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Osage Township
Description:Located in the south-central part of the county; one of the first five townships; established in 1849. Named from the Osage River. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 32)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Ozark Mountains
Description:A mountain range of great antiquity and beauty which embraces all five of the counties in this thesis. The name is of French and Indian origin and the result of a misunderstanding by the English. It means literally "at the (country, river, or place of the) Arkansas." The Indians of Siouan stock who migrated westward called themselves Quapaw (down stream people) but they were called, both before ands after their migration, the Arkansas by the Illinois. Early 18th century maps by G. De l'Isle show that both the Ohio and the Wabash rivers were called the Arkansea. Father Gravier in the JESUIT RELATIONS in 1700 writes: "It is called by the Illinois and the Oumiamis the river of the Arkansea because the Arkansea formerly dwelt on it." It was the custom of the French colonists to abbreviate the long, difficult Indian geographical names; hence les Arkansea became les Arcs. In the French archives at Jefferson Memorial in St. Louis, Mr. W.A. Dorrance states, the phrase "aux arcs" appears many times, meaning in the river, at the post, or in the country of the Arkansas. The abbreviated phrase "aux arcs" was mistaken by the English for one word and they spelled it Ozark. The word is found on a map by Bradbury in 1809. In 1816 it was spelled Osark by Kerr. Schoolcraft in 1819 spelled it Ozark. (Dorrance, W.A., THREE OZARK STREAMS, appendix 1; JESUIT RELATIONS, vol. 65, p. 107)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Ozark Mountains
Description:A mountain range of great antiquity and beauty which embraces all five of the counties in this thesis. The name is of French and Indian origin and a result of a misunderstanding by the English. It means literally "at the (country, river, or place of the) Arkansas." The Indians of Siouan stock who migrated westward called themselves Quapaw (down stream people) but they were called, before and after their migration, the Arkansas by the Illinois. Early 18th century maps by G. De l'Isle show that both the Ohio and Wabash rivers were called the Arkansea. Father Gravier in the JESUIT RELATIONS in 1700 writes: "It is called by the Illinois and the Oumiamis the river of the Arkansea because the Arkansea formerly dwelt on it." It was the custom of the French colonists to abbreviate the long, difficult Indian geographical names; hence les Arkansea became les Arcs. In the French archives at Jefferson Memorial in St. Louis, Mr. W.A. Dorrance states, the phrase "aux arcs" appears many times, meaning on the river, at the post, or in the country of the Arkansas. The abbreviated phrase "aux arcs" was mistaken by the English for one word and they spelled it Ozark. The word is found on a map by Bradbury in 1809. In 1816 it was spelled Osark by Kerr. Schoolcraft in 1819 spelled it Ozark. (Dorrance, W.A., THREE OZARK STREAMS, appendix 1; JESUIT RELATIONS, vol. 65, p. 107)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Palestine
Description:A farmer's post office in Lebanon Township in 1889. Named after the Holy Land. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1889); E.L. Kellerman; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Panther Creek
Description:The stream rises in Phillipsburg Township and flows southeast into the Osage Fork of the Gasconade in Webster County. Named because panthers were seen along the banks in the early days. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 15; Campbell, p. 26; D. Polson)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Park's Creek
Description:Runs north into the Gascoande in Wright County, flowing through Washington Township. Named for old settlers who lived in the region. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 16; Campbell, p. 26; D. Polson)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Partlow
Description:See Bidwell.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Pease
Description:A discontinued post office (1886-1915) in south-central Washington Township. Named for George Pease, and old settler and merchant. (Cram; Don Vernon; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Phillipsburg
Description:A town in northeastern Phillipsburg Township. A post office since 1876, and a railroad station since 1889. Named for Rufus Phillips, who came to the region before the Civil War and established a store. (HIST. LACLEDE (1926), p. 104; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Phillipsburg Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Description:In Phillipsburg. Originally organized in 1854 as Hickory Valley Church by Reverend Mr. Thomas, Judge J.W. Smith and T.H. Henderson at the home of Judge Smith in Hickory Valley. Reorganized in 1871 as Phillipsburg Church. Each name is from the location of the church. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 88)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Phillipsburg Township
Description:In the southwestern corner of the county. It was first organized in 1849, one of the five original townships, and named Union Township. Name changed to Phillipsburg Township in 1935. Union was a name given to signify the organization of government. Phillipsburg was given for the principal town in the township. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 31; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Pine Creek
Description:Rises in Gasconade Township and flows northwest into Gasconade. Named for the trees in the vicinity. (Campbell, p. 26; N.A. Hough)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Pine Creek
Description:A discontinued post office (1870-1915) in southern Gasconade Township. Spelled Pinecreek in 1895 Postal Guide. Named for the stream. (Postal Guide; Plat Book; C. Polson; Campbell (1874), p. 297)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Prairie Creek
Description:Rises in Gasconade Township, flows northwest through Osage and Smith Townships into the Osage Fork of the Gasconade. Named because it runs through level land. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 22)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Prairie Hollow
Description:A district along the Gasconade River near Hazlegreen which was settled as early as 1830. (Nyberg, p. 18)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Prosperine
Description:A village in central Hooker Township, a post office since 1901. Named by a Moravian minister, J.W. Thomas, because he thought the village would prosper. (Cram; Postal Guide; Nova L. McKelvey)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Reagan School
Description:In Auglaize Township. Named for Mike Reagan, who gave the school land. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Ridgewood
Description:A discontinued post office (1896-1904) in Osage Township. Named for its location in the Osage River wood ridges. (Cram, p. 26; E.L. Kellerman; Postal Guides)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Rippy School
Description:In Osage Township. Named for Mrs. Minnie Rippy, who gave the school land. (Road Map; Cora Dugan)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Roe
Description:A discontinued post office (1910-1922) in Osage Township. Oliver Roe, the first postmaster, named the place. (Plat Book Laclede (1930); Cora Dugan; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Rowland Ford
Description:A crossing of the Gasconade River at which Jerry Rowland built his house as early as 1830. (Nyberg, p. 18)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Russ
Description:A discontinued post office (1891-1927) in northwestern Franklin Township. Named for Mrs. Russ Graves, who was postmaster. (Cram; Don Vernon; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Sacred Heart Church
Description:A Catholic church erected at Conway in Union Township in 1878. Cf. above. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889); Mrs. Maggie Donnelly)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Santiago School
Description:In Union Township. Named in honor of the naval Battle of Santiago in which Admiral Simpson distinguished himself. The battle occurred July 3, 1898, and the school was built the following year. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Shakerag School
Description:See Mill Creek School.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Sharon
Description:A post office in 1860, but evidently short-lived as none of the present inhabitants had ever heard of it. The name is taken from the SONG OF SOLOMON 2:1: "I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valley," and evidently refers to the beauty of the spot. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1860)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Sheehan Field Spring
Description:A spring in Mayfield Township. Named for John and Mary Sheehan who homesteaded the tract in the 1870s. (Mrs. Hettie Fry)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Simlin School
Description:In Smith Township. Named for the Simlin family. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Simpson School
Description:In Gasconade Township. Named for C.E. Simpson, who gave the school land. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Sleeper
Description:A railroad station in Auglaize Township. A post office since 1874. Named for a construction gang foreman who built the road. It was first called Sleeper's Switch, the spur having been constructed to a coal chute built there. (HIST. LACLEDE (1926), p. 106; Lee Bohannon; Postal Guide; MISSOURI GAZ. (1874), p. 196)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Sleeper's Switch
Description:See Sleeper.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Smith Township
Description:Located in the northeastern part of the county; one of the five original townships established in 1849; subdivided in 1874. Named after William Smith, an early settler in the region. Before the county was organized, this section was called Hawkin's Leg after its wedge shape and an old pioneer in the district. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 22; HIST. LACLEDE (1926), p. 18; Campbell (1873), p. 26; J.H. Seat)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Southard
Description:A hamlet and post office in the central part of Gasconade Township since 1910. Named for D.T. Southard, postmaster. (Cram; E.L. Kellerman; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Spring Hollow
Description:A discontinued post office (1873-1883), eight miles southwest of Lebanon. Named for its location in a Spring Hollow. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1874), p. 297; Mrs. Mary Keck; Campbell (1873) p. 26)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Spring Hollow
Description:A small, narrow valley in Spring Hollow Township. So named because the district has many springs. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 15; Cram, p. 26; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Spring Hollow Creek
Description:A stream rising in Spring Hollow and flowing west to the Niangua River. Named for its location. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 15; Campbell, p. 26; S.O. Coffield)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Spring Hollow Township
Description:In the west-central section of the county; formed from Lebanon Township in 1874. Named for the hollow, the outstanding identification point in the region. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 34)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Springfield Road
Description:See Highway 66.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:St. Anna
Description:A post office at a private house in the eastern part of Laclede County. The office was located on the Texas-Pulaski line and has been listed in all three counties. Now the post office is in Texas County and the area is served by the Brownfield office in Laclede. Obviously named for the mother of the Virgin. (MISSOURI GAZ.; Everett Beck)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church
Description:A Catholic church built in Lebanon in 1868. Named after Francis de Sales, Bishop of Geneva, born in Savoy (1567-1622) and educated at the Jesuit College of Clermont in Paris. In 1602 with the aid of Jeanne Francoise Fremoyt, widow of Baron de Chantel, he founded the order of the Visitation, an order for strong souls with weak bodies. He was very learned and interested in theology. Leigh Hunt calls him"The Gentleman Saint." (Catholic Enc. (1913), vol. 6, p. 220, Rose Keck)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad
Description:The only railroad in Laclede County; the Eastern Division running from St. Louis to Springfield crosses the county from the northeast corner to the southwest. The Southern Division running from Memphis to Springfield crosses the southwestern tip of Texas County from Sargent to Cabool. A branch line, known as the Current River Division, crosses Shannon County from east to west near its southern border. Named for its proposed terminals. The railroad never reached San Francisco, however. The nickname and commonest name for the road is "Frisco," a shortened form of San Francisco. The road was originally (in 1869) called the Atlantic and Pacific because it was intended to span the continent. It has never been extended farther than St. Louis on the east, and Paris, Texas, on the west. (R. McN.; Tourist Map; R.L. Johnson)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad
Description:The only railroad in Laclede County; the Eastern Division running from St. Louis to Springfield crosses the county from the northeast corner to the southwest. The Southern Division running from Memphis to Springfield crosses the southwestern tip of Texas County from Sargent to Cabool. A branch line, known as the Current River Division, crosses Shannon County from east to west near its southern border. Named for its proposed terminals. The railroad never reached San Francisco, however. The nickname and commonest name for the road is the "Frisco," a shortened form of San Francisco. The road was originally (in 1869) called the Atlantic and Pacific because it was intended to span the continent. It has never been extended farther than St. Louis on the east, and Paris, Texas, on the west. (R. McN.; Tourist Map; R.L. Johnson)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:St. Louis Road
Description:See Highway 66.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Steen's Creek
Description:A small creek which rises in Franklin Township and flows northeast to Osage. Named for Kit and William Steen, who settled on the creek about 1840. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 25)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Stockdale School
Description:A rural school in northern Gasconade Township. So named because the region deals in stock farming. (MSTR; Oscar Honnesinger)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Stony Point School
Description:In Phillipsburg Township. A descriptive name. (Road Map; D. Polson)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Stoutland
Description:In Mayfield Township on the Camden County line. The post office and the business district are in Camden County, but much of the residential section is in Laclede. Named for Captain Stout, a director of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad. (Plat Book (1930); HIST. CAMDEN (1889), p. 343; Lee Bohannon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Stringtown
Description:Located in the northwestern part of Eldridge Township. A new settlement which has been called Stringtown because it is strung out along the road. A rather common derogatory name for new settlements. (Plat Book (1930); J.H. Sweat)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Success School
Description:In Gasconade Township. Named to celebrate the erection of the school. The school district was originally referred to as Bugtown, a slurring name given because the people were unable to maintain a reputable school. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Sunny Slope School
Description:In Washington Township. A descriptive name. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Sweet Hollow
Description:In Hooker Township. A narrow valley taking its name from its first resident, A.N. Sweet. (E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Sweet Hollow Creek
Description:Rises in Dallas County and runs northeast into Niangua in Laclede. Named for A.N. Sweet, one of the very early settlers. (HIST. LACLEDE (1880), p. 15; Campbell, p. 26; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Sycamore School
Description:In Gasconade Township. Named for the trees in the schoolyard. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Taggart Mill
Description:An early mill on the Osage River, in operation before 1850. Built by and named for Josiah Taggart. Spelled Tygart in 1889. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 25; Nyberg, p. 20)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:The Old Wire Road
Description:See Highway 66.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Trinity Episcopal Church
Description:In Lebanon. Named for the Christian doctrine. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 81)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Tunnel Dam
Description:A dam on the Niangua River west of Lebanon. It derives its name from a novel engineering feature: the water power is obtained by passing the water through a tunnel driven through the mountain around which the river made a big horseshoe. The length of the tunnel is about four hundred feet, but the distance around by river is nine miles. (Keith McCanse; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Turkey Hollow
Description:A narrow valley in Gasconade Township. Named because it was habitat of wild turkeys in the early days. (Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Turner School
Description:In Auglaize Township. Named for William Turner, old resident of the district. (MSTR; Don Vernon)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Twilight School
Description:A school in Union Township. When first built, there were in the community several families named Knight and one named Day. So they called the school Twilight. (Shad Casey; Road Map)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Union Church
Description:A church in Hooker Township used by several denominations. Hence the name. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Union Church
Description:In Spring Hollow Township. A church building used by several denominations. (Road Map; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Union School
Description:In Phillipsburg Township. Named for a disbanded church which formerly used the building. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Union Township
Description:See Phillipsburg Township.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Upper O'Dell School
Description:In Washington Township. Named to distinguish it from Lower O'Dell (q.v.). (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Victory School
Description:In Southern Gasconade Township. An ideal name. (Road Map; G.C. Jones)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Wair Chapel
Description:A small church about ten miles northeast of Lebanon, which was established in 1882, but is no longer organized. Named for the William Wair family. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 90; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Wair School
Description:In Mayfield Township. Name transferred from the chapel. (Road Map; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Warrenville
Description:A post office in 1874 nine miles northeast of Lebanon. Named for Joe Warren, who ran a general store. The office lasted only a few years. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1874), p. 297; M. Hettie Fry)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Washington School
Description:In Washington Township. Named after the township. (Road Map; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Washington Township
Description:Located in the southwest part of the county; formed from Union Township in 1874. Named in honor of George Washington, 1st President (1733-1799). (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 34)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Weathery Mill
Description:An early mill, built probably by 1835, on the Osage River. Named for Thomas Weatherly, who invented a special type of wheel suitable for the location. (Nyberg)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Weissgerber School
Description:In Lebanon Township. Named after the Weissberger family, leading citizens of a community of people belonging to the Moravian Church who settled in the region. The elder Weissberger was a clergyman. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 96; MSTR; N.A. Hough)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Williams Pond
Description:In Lebanon Township. Named for the owner of the pond, Obadiah Williams. (HIST. LACLEDE, p. 87; Nyberg, p. 17)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Winnipeg
Description:In the northeastern part of Gasconade Township. A post office from 1910. Named for Winnipeg, Canada, by postmaster M.J. Dugan, whose people came from there. (Cram; Mrs. Cora Dugan; Postal Guide)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Witoka
Description:A village in Auglaize Township in 1857. An Indian word meaning a female captive. (Colton, 1857; Hodge)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Woolsey's Creek
Description:Rises in Hooker Township; flows northwest into Niangua. Named for the Woolsey family who settled on its banks in the early days. (HIST. LACLEDE (1889), p. 15; Campbell, p. 26; E.L. Kellerman)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Yungar
Description:See Niangua.
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Place name:Zion Church
Description:A Baptist Church in Eldridge Township. Organized October 3, 1872. A Bible name for the city of David (2 Sam. 5:6). (Road Map; Duncan, BAPTISTS IN MISSOURI, p. 641)
Source:O'Brien, Anna. "Place Names Of Five Central Southern Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1939.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names