Kansas City Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adams School
Description:At 2343 Mercier. Named in honor of John Quincy Adams (1767-1848), the sixth president of the United States. (Direc. of Schools 1936-7; Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:All Souls Unitarian Church
Description:At 3427 Baltimore. It was organized in 1868 and first located at the southeast corner of present Baltimore and Tenth Street. Reverend L.M. Birkhead, the pastor of the church, writes that the name "...evolved from the idea of All Souls Day. In this name is included the idea that all souls are welcome, irrespective of beliefs or lack of beliefs." Since sometime in the eleventh century the Catholic Church has observed November 2 as All Souls Day, a day dedicated to the memory of the dead who had died as believers. (D.A.R., 223; Rev. Birkhead)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Allen School
Description:At 706 West 42nd Street. This school, which was formerly in the Westport school district, was named for Judge A.M. Allen, who was a board member in that district for nineteen years. (Direc. of Schools 1937-37; Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Arminda
Description:A post office in 1860 and 1867. Nothing could be learned of its origin. (Sutherland & McEvoy1860; Goodwin 1867)
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Askew School
Description:At 2630 Topping. Named in honor of General Frank Askew, an officer in the Civil War and father of Frank Askew, Jr., member of the school board. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Assumption of the Blessed Virgin
Description:A Catholic Church at Benton Boulevard and Lexington Avenue. The name commemorates the ascension of the Virgin Mary into Heaven. (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Athol
Description:A sub-division in the eastern part of the city. The investment company which platted the addition selected the name from a list of foreign place- names. The name chosen is that of a hilly district in northern Perthshire, Scotland; but it was selected because it was short and could be used effectively for advertising purposes. Probably for the same reasons it has become a stock American place-name, being found in at least nine other states. (Postal Guide 1922-1928; Morrow)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Attucks School
Description:A negro school at 1818 E. 19th Street. Named for Crispus Attucks, a man of mixed blood, probably Indian and negro, who was the leader of the mob which precipitated the so-called Boston Massacre of March 5, 1770, one of the incidents that prepared the way for the Revolutionary War. (Annual Report 1905; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bales School
Description:A private school taught sometime during the second quarter of the nineteenth century by Walter Bales at his farm. The home site was the same as the present 14th and Askew Avenue, Kansas City. (ANNALS OF K.C., 174)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bancroft School
Description:At 4300 Tracy. Named for George Bancroft (1800-1891). American historian, statesman, and diplomat. (Annual Report 1905; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Barstow School
Description:A private school for young women at 50th and Cherry. It was founded in 1884 by Miss Mary L.C. Barstow and Miss Ada Brann, Wellesley graduates, and named for the former. (Miss Mossman)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Benton School
Description:At 3004 Benton. Named for Thomas H. Benton (1782-1858), who represented Missouri in the United States Senate from 1821-1851. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Big Cave Spring
Description:See Cave Spring.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Blessed Sacrament Church
Description:A Catholic Church at 39th and Bellefontaine Avenue. The name is self explanatory. (Reverend Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Blue Summit School
Description:At the eastern edge of the city located on a high hill overlooking the Big Blue River. The school was organized in 1823 and is one of the oldest schools in the county. (Blackburn; K.C. STAR, Apr. 29, 1936, 8)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bryant, William Cullen School
Description:At 319 Westover Road. Named for the noted American poet and journalist, William Cullen Bryant (1794-1878). (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Buchanan, J. School
Description:In 1845 or 1846 a private school taught by J.O. Buchanan was located on present Missouri Avenue between Walnut and Grand. (ANNALS OF K.C., 175)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Calvary Baptist Church
Description:A former Baptist Church at 9th and Harrison Street. It was built in 1889. In 1929 the congregation moved to 39th Street and Baltimore. It was named for the mount of crucifiction. (HIST. JACKSON 1881, 593; Whitney Vol. I, 424)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Cave Spring
Description:A spring near Charlotte Street and Gilham Road. In an early day it issued from a deep cave, and was a stopping place for Indians and travelers on the old Santa Fe Trail. Some historians speak of it as Big Cave Spring. (ANNALS OF K.C., 176; Kemper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Cave Spring School
Description:An early day school in existence about 1848. It was situated near the Cave Spring (q.v.) from which it derived its name. (ANNALS OF K.C., 176)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Central
Description:After the new city post office was completed in 1935 at Broadway and Pershing the old post office at 9th and Grand Avenue was used as a sub-station and called Central. It is central for the downtown district. (R. Mc. 1935; Richmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Centropolis
Description:A district in the southern part of the city. Originally it was a separate town promoted by Willard E. Winner and named by him. Centroplis is a hybrid coinage from the Latin centro- and the Greek polis, on patterns widely used in America; cf. Indianapolis, Minneapolis, etc. It may have been chosen because the town was about halfway between Independence and Kansas City; or Mr. Winner may have had in mind the desire of an early citizen of Kansas City to call the city Centropolis, doubtless of its central situation in the country as a whole. (Postal Guide 1889-1902; 1903 ff., Traber, Deatherage 1927 Vol. I, 379)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Chace School
Description:A former school at 14th and Paseo. The school was opened in 1881 and closed in 1913. It was named for C.A. Chace, a member of the school board. (Whitney Vol. I, 325; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Chick, J.S. School
Description:At 5316 Jackson, named for J.S. Chick, a prominent member of the school board. (Annual Report 1905; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Chouteau's Church
Description:The first Catholic Church in what is now Kansas City. It was built in 1834 on the site of present Broadway between 11th and 12th Streets. It was named for the pioneer French family who were instrumental in establishing the church. (D.A.R., 89)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Church of the Immaculate Conception
Description:A Catholic Church at 11th and Broadway. Named for a doctrine held by the church. This church, which dates back to the second or third decade of the nineteenth century, once bore the name of a Jesuit saint, St. Francis Regis (1748-1820). (HIST. JACKSON 1881, 581; Whitney Vol. I, 404, 407)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Clay, Henry, School
Description:At 716 Ewing. Named for Henry Clay (1777-1852), an American statesman and a three-time presidential candidate. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Coburg
Description:A railroad switching years built in 1887 at 63rd and St. John, and named for the Coburg Land Company, a real estate compnay which sold property in that vicinity. (Hall)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Colesville School
Description:A school founded in 1832 by the Mormon prophet Joseph Smith, and named after the parent Mormon church at Colesville, New York. It was situated in what is now Troost Park near the Troost Park Lake. (ANNALS OF K.C., 173)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Conger School
Description:An early day private school taught by a Mr. Conger near the present site of 7th and Walnut Street. (ANNALS OF K.C., 177)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Congregation Beth Hamedrosh Hagodol
Description:A synagogue at Linwood and Highland. The English translation of the Hebrew name is "House of Instruction in the Divine Law." (Rabbi Mayer)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Congregation Beth Jacob
Description:A synagogue at 2704 Linwood. The name means House of Jacob. (Rabbi Mayer)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Congregation B'Nai Jehudah
Description:A synagogue at Linwood and Flora. The name means Sons of Judah. (Rabbi Mayer)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Congregation Chev Solom
Description:A synagogue at 7th and Sandusky. An ideal name: Lover of peace. (Rabbi Mayer)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Congregation Tifereth Sforad
Description:A synagogue at 4328 Prospect. The name, Glory of the West is an ideal name which refers to religion as the glory of the Western Hemisphere. (Rabbi Mayer)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Cook, Hale H., School
Description:At 7302 Penn. Named for a member of the school board. (Miss Segeleke)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Country Club
Description:A post office sub-station at 108 West 63rd Street. It is located near the grounds of the Kansas City Country Club. (R. Mc. 1935; H.P. Chiles)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:De Lano R.J. School
Description:A school for crippled children at 2404 Prospect. It was named for the man who was influential in getting the school established. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Douglass School
Description:A negro school at 1018 W. 27th Street. Named for Frederick Douglas (1817-1895), an agent of the Mass. Anti-Slavery Society. (Annual Report 1915)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Drakemore
Description:A section around 60th and Troost. It was named before the district was incorporated in Kansas City. The nucleus was a store and post office. It is thought to be an artificial name with the first part derived from the first justice of the peace, a Mr. Drake. (Postal Guide 1899-1904; Kemper; McDonald)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Dunbar School
Description:A negro school at 5515 East 36th Street. Named for the negro poet, Paul Lawrence Dunbar (1872-1906). (Annual Report)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Edgecomb
Description:A station in the city on the St. Louis-San Francisco. Named for the General Agent for the San Francisco line, E.F. Edgecomb. (R. Mc. 1935; Lang)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Edison, Thomas A., School
Description:At 5000 East 17th Street. Named for the American scientist, Thomas A. Edison (1847- 1831). (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Elmdale
Description:A former stop and sidetracks of the Kansas City Southern Railroad in the East Bottoms of the city. Named for Elmwood Avenue. (Prickett)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Emerson School
Description:A former school at Tracy and Pacific. It was named in 1888 for Ralph Waldo Emerson, the American poet and essayist. In 1929 it was closed for lack of pupils. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Faxon School
Description:At 3710 Paseo. Named for Frank A. Faxon, a member of the school board. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Franklin School [1 of 2]
Description:At 1325 Washington Street. Named for Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790). (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Franklin School [2 of 2]
Description:In southern Preston Township. This is an old school. The origin of the name could not be definitely ascertained. It was probably named for Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790). (Herndon)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:French Bottom
Description:An early day name for land along the Missouri River in Kansas City from the foot of Gillis Street to the mouth of the Kaw River. In the second quarter of the nineteenth century French trappers, traders, and hunters were settled there. (KANSAS CITY 1876-1877, 3; Deatherage 1927, Vol. I, 206)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:French Institute of Notre Dame de Zion
Description:At 3823 Locust Street. A Catholic school conducted by the order of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Zion. The order which was founded in Paris in 1842, has schools all over the world. Mount Zion, the holy city of Jerusalem, is an emblem of the Virgin Mary, and hence the name Our Lady of Zion. (Sister Marie)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Garfield School
Description:At 421 Wabash. Named for James A. Garfield (1831-1881) the twentieth president of the United States. (Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Garrison School
Description:A negro school, at 553 Tracy. Named for William Lloyd Garrison (1805-1879), the New England abolitionist. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Gooseneck Creek
Description:A name of an early crooked stream which ran through what is now eastern Kansas City. (ANNALS OF K.C., 174)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Gooseneck School
Description:An early day private school located on the farm of Judge Daniel B. Stone, near what is now 12th and Jackson Avenue. It was named from the Gooseneck Creek which wound about its site. (ANNALS OF K.C. Vol. I, 174)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Grace Church
Description:At 10th and Central. The church was organized in 1870 as St. Luke's. In 1873 the name was changed to Grace Church. Hastings writes that in the New Testament the word grace has reference to the mind of God as manifested towards sinners. "...His redemtive mercy, whereby He grants pardon to offenses and bids those who have gone astray return and accept His gift of slavation and everlasting life." (HIST. JACKSON 1881, 591; Hastins, DICT. BIBLE Vol. 2, 254)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Greenwood School
Description:At 3711 East 27th. Named for Professor J.M. Greenwood, who was Superintendent of Kansas City Schools from 1874-1913. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Guardian Angel Church
Description:A Catholic Church at 43rd and Mercier. The name honors the doctrine held by the church that each person has a guardian angel. (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Guthris, O.P., School
Description:A school taught in 1848 by Oliver P. Guthris near present Central and Westport Avenue. (ANNALS OF K.C., 176)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hamilton Opportunity School
Description:At 1514 Campbell. Named for Alexander H. Hamilton (1757-1804). (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Harding
Description:A post office sub-station at 26th East 31st Street. It was established during the administration of President Warren G. Harding (1865-1923). (R. Mc. 1935; Richmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Harrison, Benjamin, School
Description:At 414 Wallace. Named for Benjamin Harrison (1833-1901), the twenty-third president of the United States. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Holy Cross Church
Description:A Catholic Church at Quincy and St. John Avenue. Named to commemorate the sacrificial death of Jesus. (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Holy Family Church
Description:A Catholic Church at 39th Street and Fremont. The name is self-explanatory. (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Holy Name Church
Description:A Catholic Church at 23rd and Benton Blvd. It was founded in 1886 and at first located at 23rd and College Avenue. The name is self-explanatory. (Whitney Vol. I, 409; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Holy Rosary Church
Description:A Catholic Church at Missouri Avenue and Campbell Street. It was founded in 1895 and given the name in recognition of the doctrine of the value of a certain form of the set prayer. (Whitney Vol. I, 409; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Holy Trinity Church
Description:A Catholic Church at 10th and Norton Avenue. It was established in 1888. The name is self-explanatory. (Whitney Vol. I, 409; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Humboldt School
Description:At 714 East 11th Street. The school was built in 1868. It is one of the oldest schools in the city, and the oldest one under the original name. It was named for William Von Humboldt (1767-1835), a German educator who was Minister of Public Instruction of Prissia and a man active in the founding of the University of Berlin. (K.C. STAR Aug. 19, 1923, 8a; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hy Tex
Description:The Rand McNally Atlas, 1935, lists "Hy Tex, mail at Kansas City." It is a trade name used by the Hydraulic Pressed Brick Company at 56th and Lister, Kansas City. (Richmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Irving School
Description:At 2404 Prospect. Named for Washington Irving (1783-1859). (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Jackson Opportunity School
Description:At 6806 Dauphin. Named in honor of Andrew Jackson. (Annual Report 1905; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:James School
Description:At 5810 Scarritt. Named for John Crawford James who was a member of the Kansas City Board of Education for twenty-eight years and president of the board for four years. (K.C. TIMES, March 22, 1912, 3; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Jefferson School
Description:At 1310 Wabash. Named for Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), the third president of the United States. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Karnes School
Description:At 550 Charlotte. Named in honor of a member of the Board of Education, J.V.C. Karnes. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kawsmouth
Description:By early and unofficial geographers this name was given to a settlement of French traders located at the mouth of the Kaw River (q.v.) in what is now known as the West Bottoms in Kansas City. The settlement was destroyed by a flood in 1844. (ATLAS JACKSON 1877, 15; Stevens 1921 Vol. I, 888)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Keneseth Israel Beth Sholom
Description:A synagogue at 3400 Paseo. The name which means in English Assembly of Israel, House of Peace, is a combination which resulted from the uniting of two congregations, the Keneseth Israel and Beth Sholom. (Rabbi Mayer)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Knight School
Description:An early day private school located near the present Third and Baltimore Streets. It was taught by Miss Artemisia Knight. (ANNALS OF KANSAS CITY, 177)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Knotts, William A. School
Description:At 3510 East 70th Street. Named for a member of the Board of Education. This school was organized soon after the Civil War and originally named Shiloh in memory of the battle of Shiloh which was fought in Tennessee, April 6 and 7, 1862. (Miss Seglecke; Clayton)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Kumpf, Henry C., School
Description:At 4423 Olive. Named for a member of the Board of Education. (Miss Seglecke)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Ladd, Sanford B., School
Description:At 3640 Benton. Named for an attorney of the Board of Education. (Miss Seglecke)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lathrop School
Description:At 1214 Central. It was named to honor Dr. John Hiram Lathrop, the father of Gardiner Lathrop, a member of the school board. (Annual Report 1905; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Longan, George B., School
Description:At 3408 Kenwood. Named for the Superintendent of the Kansas City Schools. (Miss Seglecke)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Longfellow School
Description:At 2830 Holmes. Named from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Loretta Academy
Description:A private Catholic School at 39th and Roanoke Road. It is a school under the auspices of the Order of the Holy House of Loretta. The Oder derived its name from the House of Loretta, which is enshrined in a church near Ancona, Italy, and is supposed to be the original home of Jesus and his mother, Mary. (Sister Faber)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lowell School
Description:At 2709 Madison. Named for James Russell Lowell (1819-1891) the American poet and essayist. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Lykins School
Description:In 1848, Miss Sarah Lykins, a daughter of Dr. Johnston Lykins, taught a private school at the present 4th and Wyandotte. (ANNALS OF K.C., 177)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Madison School
Description:At 124 West 29th Street. Named for James Madison (1751-1836), the fourth president of the United States. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Mann, Horace, School
Description:At 2008 East 39th Street. Named for Horace Mann (1796-1859), the American educator noted for his reforms in the Massachusetts school system. (Annual Report 1905; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Marlborough Heights
Description:An addition between 73rd and 79th Streets, and Troost Street and Prospect Avenue. The slightly high and rolling situation accounts for the name Heights. Mr. W.B. Clarke gave the name Marlborough because a town in Connecticut of that name was the home of his relatives. The Connecticut town is, however, spelled Marlboro, not Marlborough, and there are ten other Marlboros in the United States. (Findley; Mrs. Clarke)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Martin School
Description:At 416 Garland. Named for E.L. Martin, a former member of the Board of Education. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:McCoy School
Description:At 1524 White. Named for Isaac McCoy, an early pioneer of the city. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Melville
Description:A station stop on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in the southern part of the city. The origin of the name was not ascertained, but it is a stock name, found in at least six other states. (R. Mc. 1935)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Meservy, Edwin C., School
Description:At 4210 East 45th Street. Named for a lawyer and member of the school board. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Moore, Milton, School
Description:At 4510 Linwood. Named for Colonel Milton Moore, a Kansas City lawyer. Colonel Moore commanded the Fifth Missouri Infantry during the Spanish-American War. (K.C. JOURNAL POST, Oct. 28, 1928 2- D)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Morse School
Description:At 20th and Charlotte. It was opened in 1870 and named for the famous American inventor S.F.B. Morse. (Ellis, 193, Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Nelson, William Rockhill, School
Description:At 5228 Charlotte. Named for William Rockhill Nelson, who, for many years, was the editor of the KANSAS CITY STAR and a man active in civic affairs. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Nichols, J.C., School
Description:At 6903 Oak. Named for a member of the Board of Education. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Norman School
Description:At 3514 Jefferson. Named for Joseph L. Norman, who served as a member of the Board of Education for sixteen years. (Annual Report, 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Northeast
Description:A sub- station post office at 6212 St. John Street. A name of location. (R. Mc. 1935; Richmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:O.K. Creek
Description:From what is now Twelfth Street the ground slopes south to a valley thru which a stream ran east and connected with the Blue River. The name of the stream was derived from a grog-shop, which stood on the stream about 1848, called the O.K. House. The use of O.K. in the slang sense still current dates back according to Thornton, to 1828. The name of the Kansas City grog-shop of 1848 may supply another use of it. (Case 1888, 17)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Olivet Congregational Church
Description:At 19th and Woodland. It was organized in 1883. See Mt. Olivet Christian Church (Clay). (Whitney Vol. I, 439; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Our Lady of Good Counsel Church
Description:A Catholic Church at Washington and Shafer. This church was a reorganization of 1888 of an old Westport parish. The name is one of the various titles applied to Mary, the mother of Jesus. (Whitney Vol. I, 409; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Our Lady of Guadalupe
Description:A Mexican Catholic Church located at 23rd and Madison. The name was first applied to a picture representing the Immaculate Conception, which is said to have appeared to a Mexican shepherd at Guadalupe-Hidalgo, a place about five miles north of Mexico City, and which is preserved in the famous cathedral erected there. The relic and the legend have made "Our Lady of Guadalupe" the patron saint of all Mexico. (CATH. ENCY. Vol. 7, 43; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Parkway
Description:A sub station post office opened near Swope Park in 1925. It was named from the street on which it is located, Swope Parkway (q.v.). (Postal Guide 1925 ff; Richmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Parrish Farm School
Description:An early day private school located on the farm of William Parrish about the present site of 35th and Prospect Avenue. (ANNALS OF K.C., 175)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pershing, John J., School
Description:At 5915 Park. Named for General John J. Pershing, chief of the American Expeditionary Forces in the World War. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Phillibert's Branch
Description:An old stream about where the present Campbell Street is located. The stream was named at least as early as 1847. Doubtless named for two Frenchmen who in 1831 entered land within the present limits of Kansas City, Joseph Phillibert entering 154 acres, and a Gabriel Phillibert, a 170 acres. (HIST. JACKSON 1881, 410; Deatherage Vol. I, 335)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Phillips, Wendell, School
Description:At 2433 Vine. Named for Wendell Phillips (1811-1884) Boston abolitionist and famous orator. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Pinkerton, D.M., School
Description:At 6409 Agnes. Named for a member of the Board of Education. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Plaza
Description:A sub-station post office located on the Country Club Plaza. Plaza is a spanish word meaning public square, market place. (R. Mc. 1935; Richmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Prospect
Description:A Missouri Pacific stock yards at 78th and Cleveland. It is not far from Prospect Avenue, from which it is named. (Jacobs)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Quality Hill
Description:A term applied to the once select residential section of the city between Wyandotte Street and the west bluffs. It is now mainly a tenements district. (Ellis, 70)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rock Creek Junction
Description:A station of the Missouri Pacific Railroad near Rock Creek in the northern part of the city. (R. Mc. 1935; Kemper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rock Creek School
Description:At 23rd and Westport Road. This school was organized in 1823 and is the oldest school of the county. It is located on the stream from which it derives its name, Rock Creek (q.v.). (K.C. STAR Apr. 29, 1936, 8; Kemper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rollins School
Description:At 4043 Main. Named in honor of James S. Rollins (1812-1888). Mr. Rollins is best known to Missourians for his activity toward founding and promoting of the state university at Columbia, Missouri. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sacred Heart Church
Description:A Catholic Church at 26th and Madison organized in 1887. The heart of Jesus, pierced on the spear of the centurion after the Crucifixion, is a special object of Catholic devotion. (Whitney Vol. I, 409; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Saint Luke's Church
Description:See Saint Mary's Episcopal Church.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Saint Mary's Chapel
Description:A Mission Church on East Fourth Street. It was organized about 1880 under the auspices of St. Mary's Episcopal Church (q.v.). The term "chapel" is used in the United States, especially by Episcopalians, to designate a small church which is dependent upon a larger one. (HIST. JACKSON 1881, 584)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Saint Peter's Evangelical Church
Description:At Oak and Irving Place. The church, which was founded in 1865, is the oldest German Protestant Church in the city. The original building was located on Walnut Street between Ninth and Tenth Streets. It was named for the apostle. (Whitney Vol. I, 446)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Scarritt School
Description:At 310 Askew. Named in honor of Reverend Nathan Scarritt, an early day minister prominent in the Methodist Church. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Spofford Home
Description:At 5501 Cleveland. A home for children given by Mrs. M. Spofford in memory of her husband, a man interested in public and philanthropic affairs. (K.C. TIMES, Oct. 16, 1915, 2)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Aloysius Church
Description:A Catholic Church at 11th and Prospect. It was organized in 1886 and named for St. Aloysius Gonzaga (1568-1591), who is greatly reverenced by Roman Catholics as the patron saint of the young. (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Augustine Church
Description:A negro Catholic Church on Troost between Eleventh and Twelfth Streets. It was organized in 1882 and named for the great African theologian, St. Augustine (354-430). (Whitney Vol. I, 436; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Elizabeth's Church
Description:A Catholic Church at 75th and Main. It was named for the mother of John the Baptist. (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Francis Regis Church
Description:See Church of the Immaculate Conception.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Francis Seraph Church
Description:At Martin and Wyman Avenues. It was organized in 1886 and named for St. Francis of Assissi (1181-1226), who on account of his angelic life was called St. Francis Seraph. (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Francis Xavier Church
Description:A Catholic Church at 53rd and Troost. It was named for St. Francis Xavier (1506-1552), the famous Spanish missionary. (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. George's Episcopal Church
Description:At 32nd and Troost Avenue. The church was organized in 1891 and named for St. George (c. Fifth Cen.) who became the patron saint of England. (Whitney Vol. I, 435)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. John the Baptist Church
Description:At 1436 Independence Avenue. It was organized in 1882. The name is self-explanatory. (Whitney Vol. I, 408; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Joseph Catholic Church
Description:At 19th and Harrison. It was organized in 1882 and named for St. Joseph, the husband of the Virgin Mary. (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Luke's Church
Description:See Grace Church.
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Mark's Episcopal Church
Description:At Seventh and Prospect. It was organized in 1889, and named for the writer of the Gospel. (Whitney Vol. I, 435)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Mary's Episcopal Church
Description:Located at 8th and Walnut. In 1857 a parish was organized and called St. Luke's. Services were suspened during the Civil War. In 1879 the name was changed to St. Mary's. The latter name was given in honor of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and the former, in honor of the writer of the Gospel which bears his name. (HIST. JACKSON 1881, 584; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Patrick's Church
Description:At Eighth and Cherry. The building was erected in 1873. The congregation was organized some years earlier and had a building at Sixth and Oak. The name was given in honor of St. Patrick (387-493), the zealous missionary to Ireland. (HIST. JACKSON 1881, 592; Whitney Vol. I, 407)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Peter's and St. Paul's Church
Description:A former German Roman Catholic Church at Ninth and McGee. It was organized in 1867 and named for the two leading apostles. (HIST. JACKSON 1881, 588)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Stanislaus Catholic Church
Description:At 18th and Ewing Avenue. It was named for St. Stanislaus (1030-1079), a Polish saint, and patron of Poland. (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Stephen's Catholic Church
Description:At 11th and Bennington Avenue. The name was given in honor of the first Christian martyr (Acts 6:1-8). (Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:St. Vincent's Catholic Church
Description:A Catholic Church at 31st and Flora. It was organized in 1888 and named for Saint Vincent, the Spanish martyr under Diocletian in 304. (Whitney Vol. I, 409; Rev. Harris)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Stewart Methodist Church
Description:At 3025 Agnes. This church was opened in 1914 and named in honor of O.M. Stewart, the district superintendent. (Needles)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sumner School
Description:A negro school at 2121 Charlotte. Named for Charles Sumner (1811-1874), Boston orator and abolitionist. (Miss Seglecke)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Sunny Slope
Description:A sub- station post office at 1121 E. 47th Street. Named from the residential district, Sunny Slope, which took its name from its location on a long southern slope. (Richmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Swedish Lutheran Elim Church
Description:A church organized in 1870 and located at West 15th Street between Broadway and Washington. It has merged with the First Swedish Lutheran Church at 30th and Benton Blvd. Elim was one of the stations in the wanderings of the children of Israel. (Ex. 15:27). (HIST. JACKSON 1881, 59; Rev. Birkhead)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Swinney, E.T., School
Description:At 1106 W. 47th. Named for a treasurer of the Board of Education. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Switzer School
Description:At 1829 Madison. Named in honor of Henry Switzer, a member of the Board of Education. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Swope
Description:A sub-station post office opened in 1900, and closed in 1904. It was named from the street on which it was located, Swope Parkway (q.v.). (Postal Guide 1900-1904; Richmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Swope Park
Description:A large recreation park in the southeastern part of the city. It was named in honor of the donor of the land, Thomas Swope, a wealthy businessman of the city. (Richmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Swope Parkway
Description:A wide park-like street which borders the western side of Swope Park (q.v.). The name is derived from the park. (Richmond)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Tabernacle Church
Description:A Baptist Church located at 30th and Holmes Street. A Bible name meaning tent. It was applied to the early house of worship of the children of Israel. (E.C. Jones)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Thacker School
Description:At 5008 Independence. Named in honor of Luin K. Thacker, a member of the Board of Education. (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Troost School
Description:At 5915 Forest. Named for a pioneer doctor, Dr. Benoist Troost. (Annual Report; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Twain, Mark, School
Description:At 3850 E. 60th Street. Named in honor of the Missouri humorist, Samuel L. Clemens (1835- 1910), whose pen name was Mark Twain. (Miss Seglecke)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Valley Memorial Church
Description:In the East Bottoms of Kansas City. The church which was organized in 1900 was an outgrowth of an earlier mission started by Robert S. Kirtley. The name was given on account of the location, and in memory of Mr. Kirtley. (C.P. Jones)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Van Horn School
Description:At 3715 Wyoming. Named in honor of a local man, Colonel Robert T. Van Horn. Colonel Van Horn acquired his title as a boatman. For more than thrity years he promoted the welfare of Kansas City through his work as a newspaper man. (Annual Report 1905; Case, 1888, 433)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Washington School
Description:At Cherry Street and Independence Avenue. This school, the first publicly owned one in Kansas City, was opened in 1868 and named for George Washington (1732-1799). (Ellis, 193; Whitney Vol. I, 337)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Washington, Booker T., School
Description:At 2949 Myrtle. A negro school named in honor of the negro educator, Booker T. Washington (1859-1915). (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Webster School
Description:At 17th and Wyandotte. The school was opened in 1886 and named for Daniel Webster (1782-1852). (Whitney Vol. I, 337; Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Wesley Methodist Church
Description:1126 Belmont. Named for John (1703-1791) and Charles (1707-1788) Wesley, founders of Methodism. (Miss Wurgler)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:West Bottoms
Description:The low land of the western part of the city near the Kaw River. It is a name of direction and situation. (Kemper)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Wheatley School
Description:A negro school at 2800 E. 54th Street. Named in honor of Phillis Wheatley (?-1784), a negro slave of Boston who won recognition as a poet. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:White, E.C., School
Description:Named in honor of E.C. White, who was a teacher in Central High School for 31 years. (K.C. Library: "School Clippings")
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Whittier School
Description:At 1101 Indiana. Named in honor of the American poet, John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892). (Annual Report 1905)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Willard, Frances, School
Description:At 5015 Garfield. Named in honor of Frances Willard (1839-1898), American temperance reformer, editor, and author. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Yates, W.F., School
Description:A negro school at 1228 Lydia. It was named in honor of a local negro educator. (Miss Berger)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names