Jasper County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adams Mill
Description:Adams Mill was a pioneer mill named for its builder. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Alba
Description:In 1882 Alba, a Quaker settlement four miles northeast of Oronogo, took its name from its first postmaster. (Eaton 28, p. 178; Livingston 22, p. 221)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Alba School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Arthur School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Asbury
Description:Asbury was laid out in 1896 and was advertised by the Kansas City, Pittsburg, and Gulf Railroad. As there are many Asburys in this vicinity, it was very likely named for a family there. (Cyrus Crane; Livingston (22), p. 221)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Asbury School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Avilla
Description:Avilla was laid out in 1858 by D. S. Holman and A.L. Love and was named for Avilla, Indiana. (Eaton (28), p. 178; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Avilla School
Description:A transferred name from a town township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Banner School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bellville (later Zincite, q.v.)
Description:Bellville is the name of a store and mining camp in the southwest part of the county and was named for a mining superintendent. The town got a post office under the name of Zincite. (Livingston (22), p. 221, 315-6; Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ben's Branch
Description:Ben's Branch separates Webb City and Carterville. The origin of the name is not known. (Walter Colley; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Berean School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blackberry Creek
Description:Blackberry Creek was so named because of the abundance of blackberries growing along its course. (Cyrus Crane; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blackberry School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blake School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blend City (later Blendville, q.v.)
Description:Blend City was named for the blending of the ores found on the Cox land at the southwest edge of Joplin in 1876. (Cyrus Crane; Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blendville (earlier Blend City, q.v.)
Description:Blendville was the name given by the citizens to Blend City, July 1, 1890. No reason for the change is known, but it was named for its predecessor. It was annexed to Joplin, 1892. (Livingston (22), p. 221, 373; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bloomingdale School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blytheville
Description:In 1838 Judge John C. Cox settled on Turkey Creek and built a store and placed in it a post office conducted gratis, January 17, 1841. He named the store and office Blytheville in honor of Billy Blythe, a wealthy and friendly Cherokee Indian noted for his integrity. The office was maintained except during the Civil War until 1872. (Livingston (22), p. 142)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bois d'Arc School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brick School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Buck's Creek
Description:Named for a pioneer family. (Cyrus Crane; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Burton School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Carl Junction
Description:Carl Junction, founded by Charles Carl at the crossing of the Frisco and the Joplin and Girard Railroad, was named for him. (Livingston (22), p. 221; Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Carl Junction School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Carterville
Description:Carterville was laid out on September 9, 1875, by W.A. Daugherty, William McMillen, and J.L. Carter, local landowners. It was named for Carter. (Livingston (22), p. 219; Eaton (28), p. 178)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Carthage
Description:By an order of the county court on March 29, 1842, Carthage was named for the ancient city of Carthage in northern Africa. (Eaton (28), p. 178; McGregor (18), p. 46)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Carytown
Description:Carytown, which for a few years had a store, elevator, and station on the Missouri Pacific, was named for the Cary family, local landowners. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Carytown School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cave Spring
Description:Cave Spring is the name of the spring where Reverend Bewler established the first permanent Methodist Church in Jasper County. It was named for a spring flowing out of a cave. (Livingston (22), p. 30)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cave Spring Church
Description:The first permanent Methodist Church in the county, was established by Reverend Anthony Bewler, a staunch abolitionist, who named the church for the neighboring spring. (Livingston (22), p. 30)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cave Spring School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cedar Bluff School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Centennial School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Center Creek [1 of 2]
Description:Center Creek, the stream on which Thackeray Vivion built his cabin and mills, was so named because it was near the center of old Barry County. (Livingston (22), p. 7)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Center Creek [2 of 2] (First Leadville Hollow; (q.v.); then Center Creek, (q.v.); later Minersville (q.v.); finally Oronogo, (q.v.)
Description:Center Creek (village) was the name applied to the site of Minersville because it was near the Center Creek. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Center Point School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Center School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Centerville (later Sarcoxie, q.v.)
Description:In 1831 Thackeray Vivion built a very small cabin, a mill, and a sawmill near the spring on Center Creek. After several families arrived he asked for a post office in 1833 under the name of Centerville in honor of the creek. As there was another Centerville in the state the name was soon changed to Sarcoxie. (Livingston (22), p. 29)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Central City School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Chambersville (later Dudenville, q.v.)
Description:Chambersville was established about the close of the Civil War and was named for the man who owned the farm and store. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Charter Oak School
Description:A miscellaneous name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Chitwood
Description:Chitwood, a little business center in the mines lately added to Joplin, was named for the family who owned the store. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Coon Foot School
Description:A nickname.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Damfino
Description:Damfino was an old trading-point six miles south of Carthage. Doubtless the name originated as a bit of pioneer humor. Some joker said rapidly the words suggested by the name, and his neighbors took it up as a name for the place. (Cyrus Crane; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Deer Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dewey School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Diamond
Description:In 1868 Franklin Side laid out Diamond in the northern part of Diamond Grove (q.v). and named it for the grove. (Livingston (22), p. 75; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Diamond Grove
Description:Diamond Grove is a grove named by the pioneers because of its shape. (Cyrus Crane; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dubuque Township
Description:Dubuque Township was named by the court in May, 1873, for Dubuque, Iowa, because some of the citizens came from the neighborhood of the Iowa city of that name. (Livinston (22), p. 169; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dudenville (earlier Chambersville, q.v.)
Description:When the store and land owned by Chambers passed into the hands of a member of the Duden family about 1895 the name was changed by the people to Dudenville. (Captain Lewis Renfro; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Duenweg
Description:J.W. Ground and Tom Irwin, who built the first business houses at this mining camp, had a lease on some land and sold out to a Mr. Duenweg, a promoter from Pennsylvania. The town was named for Duenweg. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Duenweg School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Duncan's Mill
Description:Duncan's Mill was a pioneer mill named for its owner. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Duquesne School
Description:A miscellaneous name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Duval
Description:The Duval trading-point was named for its owner. (Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Duval Township
Description:Duval Township was named for the trading-point. (Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:East Joplin (later Joplin, q.v.)
Description:East Joplin was the name given to that part of the present city of Joplin which lies on the eastern side of Joplin Creek. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Elm Creek
Description:Elm Creek, which flows into Spring River, was named for the elm trees along its course. (Walter Colley; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Elmira School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Empire School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Enterprise School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Erie School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Excelsior School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fidelity (also Skeeterville, q.v.; later Lehigh, q.v.)
Description:Fidelity was laid out and named in 1856 by William Cloe, the owner of the store there. His reasons for choosing the abstract name are not known. (Livingston (22), p. 75)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fidelity School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Forest Mill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Forest School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Galena Township
Description:Galena Township was so named because of the great amount of galena mined in that community. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Galesburg
Description:Galesburg was platted in 1869 by John R. Cabannis on the site of the old Talbott Mill (q.v.) which was burned in 1861. The name was probably from one of the Galesburgs in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, or Michigan. (Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Galesburg School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Garden Dell School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gem School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Georgia City
Description:Georgia City was laid out by John C. Guinn, January 18, 1868. Guinn, who owned 17,000 acres of land here, named the place for his native state of Georgia. (Livingston (22), p. 75; Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gooseberry Creek
Description:Gooseberry Creek, which flows into Spring River, was named for the abundance of wild gooseberries along its course. (Cyrus Crane; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Green Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hell's Neck (later Neck City, q.v.)
Description:Hell's Neck was the name of a mining camp in the bend of Spring River. It was so called because of its position and because of the rowdy element. (Livingston (22), p. 337)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Henry School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:High Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Independence School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Jackson Township was named for Andrew Jackson. (Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jasper (earlier Midway q.v.)
Description:Jasper, a village on the northern line of the county, got its name from the county. (Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jasper County
Description:Jasper County, organized January 29, 1841, by an act of the State Legislature, was named for Sergeant William Jasper (1750-1779), who replaced the fallen flag on Fort Moultrie, June 28, 1776, and who lost his life while trying to replace the colors on Spring Hill redoubt, near Savannah, Georgia, on October 7, 1779. (Session Acts 1840-1841; Eaton (28), p. 178)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jasper School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jasper Township
Description:Jasper Township was named from the county. (Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jenkins
Description:Jenkins, a trading-point, was named for a local family. (Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jones Creek
Description:Jones Creek was named for a family living along its course. (H.M. Richey; John F. Shannon)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Joplin (see East Joplin, West Joplin, Murphysburgh, and Union City)
Description:Joplin was named for Reverend Harris G. Joplin, a Methodist minister who established the first Methodist congregation in the county in 1840 at his cabin on the creek which bears his name. By an act of the Legislature, March 23, 1873, the four communities mentioned above were united under the name of Joplin. (Eaton (28), p. 179; Livingston (22), p. 79)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Joplin Creek
Description:Joplin Creek was named for the Reverend Harris G. Joplin, who lived near the creek in a cabin in which he established the first (but not permanent) Methodist Church in Jasper County.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Joplin Township
Description:Joplin Township was named for the town within its limits. (Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:King School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Knight
Description:Knight is a trading-point named for the man who established it. (Walter Colley; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:La Grange School
Description:A miscellaneous name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:La Russell
Description:La Russell is a railroad station which sprang up in 1905 at the coming of the White River line. The source of the name is unknown. (Livingston (22), p. 442)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:La Russell School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lakeside School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Leadville Hollow (later Center Creek, q.v.; then Minersville, q.v.; finally Oronogo, q.v.)
Description:The name of the place where lead was discovered and where Oronogo now stands. It was so named because of the lead found there. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lehigh (earlier Skeetersville, q.v.; and Fidelity, q.v.)
Description:Lehigh was established in the 1880s, but after a few years it passed away. It was very likely named for Lehigh, Pennsylvania, because of its mining interests. (Livingston (22), p. 75)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lincoln Township
Description:Named for Abraham Lincoln. (Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Little Blackberry Creek
Description:Named for Blackberry Creek into which it flows. (Cyrus Crane; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lone Elm
Description:A thrifty suburb of Joplin, was so named because of a lone elm by the wayside. (Lvingston (22), p. 155)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lynnland School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Madison Township
Description:Madison Township was named for James Madison. (Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Maple Grove
Description:Maple Grove, a village in the northwestern part of the county; was named for the beautiful grove of maples in which it stands. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Marion School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Marion Township
Description:Marion Township was named for Francis Marion, the Revolutionary hero. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mayflower School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McDonald Township
Description:McDonald Township was named from a family of early settlers. (Cyrus Crane; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Medoc [1 of 2]
Description:Medoc, was named for the Modoc tribe of Indians who lived just across the state line in Indian Territory and often came to this place. The Postal Department spelled the word M-e-d-o-c, probably mistaking the "o" for an "e." (Cyrus Crane; Livingson (22), p. 75)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Medoc [2 of 2]
Description:This Medoc was laid out in 1856 by William A. Allison and is a quarter of a mile west of the old Medoc trading-point. The later town takes its name from the early one. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Medoc School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Melugin
Description:Melugin, a station on the White River Railroad, was named for one of the road officials about 1905. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Midway (later Jasper, q.v.)
Description:Midway was the name of a railroad station one mile south of the Midway (q.v.) in Barton County. It was so named because of the earlier Midway and because it had approximately the same position with reference to Lamar and Carthage as the earlier town had had. Later the name was changed to Jasper. (Bert Webb; E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mineral School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mineral Township
Description:So named from the mining industry within its borders. (Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Minersville (first Leadville Hollow, q.v.; next Center Creek, q.v.; then Minersville; lastly Oronogo, q.v.)
Description:A town was started in Leadville Hollow in 1848 on the present site of Oronogo. It was named for the mines and the miners. When the mail became mixed with that of Minesville of Christian County, a public meeting was called to change the name, and it became Oronogo. (Livingston (22), p. 37, 39; Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Monitor School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Morning Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Muddy Creek (also North Fork of Spring River q.v.)
Description:Muddy Creek is the same as North Fork of Spring River. It drains a section of flat, mucky land and is therefore muddy almost all the time. For this reason it was named Muddy Creek in early days. (H.H. Howard; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Murphysburgh (later Joplin, q.v.)
Description:Murphysburgh, on the western side of Joplin Creek and a part of the present city of Joplin, was named for Patrick Murphy, a local landowner and businessman, in 1871. (Livingston (22), p. 146, 147)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Neck City (earlier Hell's Neck, q.v.)
Description:Neck City is a later name for Hell's Neck. As the town became less rowdy a change in the name was appropriate and was made. The softer part of the old name was retained and "City" was added. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Neck City School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:New Hope School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:North Fork of Spring River (also Muddy Creek, q.v.)
Description:North Fork of Spring River was so named because it is a north tributary of Spring River. It is also known as Muddy Creek, especially in its upper course. (E.L. Moore; H.H. Howard)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:North Star School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oakland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Opolis School
Description:A miscellaneous name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oregon
Description:Oregon, a trading-point in the 1850s, was named for the Oregon territory so much in the public mind at that time. (Walter Colley; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oronogo (first Leadville Hollow, q.v.; then Center Creek, q.v.; next Minersville, q.v.; now Oronogo, q.v.)
Description:Both local history and tradition account for the name with the following story: "At a public meeting held to change the name of Minersville, after many names had been suggested, a man in the back of the room well filled with the spirit of golden grain arose and said, "Boys, by----, it's ore or no go." Colonel J.M. Young, a linguist, got the idea. By taking the Spanish "oro" for ore and by dropping the "or" the word became euphonious. He pronounced it Oronogo, and the audience accepted the name." (Livingston (22), p. 79; Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oronogo School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Parshley
Description:Parshley is an old trading-point and was named for the owner of the first store. (Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pear Hill School [1 of 2]
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pearl Hill School [2 of 2]
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Perseverance School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pine School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Poole's Prairie
Description:Poole's Prairie was named for a pioneer family. (Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Port Royal Post Office
Description:Port Royal was a name transferred from Port Royal, South Carolina, because of the interest aroused in that city by its capture of Federal forces, November 7, 1861. (Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie Dale School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Preston
Description:Preston, an old trading-point, was named for a local landowner. (Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Preston School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Preston Township
Description:Preston Township was named for the village within its boundaries. (Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prosperity
Description:Prosperity is an old trading-point. It was probably so named because of its prosperous mines. (Cyrus Crane; Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prosperity School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Purcell
Description:Purcell, founded in 1903, was named for Sheriff James Purcell. (Livingston (22), p. 221, 443)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Purcell School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Radium School
Description:A miscellaneous name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Redwood School
Description:A miscellaneous name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Reeds
Description:Reeds, a village opened up in 1898, is named for a farmer, W.T. Reed, who owned the land where the depot now stands. The "s" is a remnant of a possessive form used occasionally before the name became fixed. (Livingston (22), p. 338)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Reeds School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rex City
Description:Rex City was one of the suburbs of Joplin in the mining-boom days. Its founders expected it to become the king of all the camps and named it with that idea in view, using the Latin word for king. (Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rising Sun School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rosebank School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Round Prairie School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Royal Heights School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rural (also Sherwood, q.v.)
Description:Rural was a nickname applied to Sherwood, which was just west of the present Webb City. Very likely its distance from any towns suggested the name to the people. (Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rusk School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sarcoxie (earlier Centerville, q.v.)
Description:When a conflict caused Thackeray Vivion to choose a new name for his post office, he selected Sarcoxie, in honor of a friendly Shawnee Indian chief who lived at the spring for many years and whose name is said to have meant "rising sun." (Livingston (22), p. 29; McGregor (18), p. 54)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sarcoxie School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sarcoxie Township
Description:Named for the town within its boundaries. (Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Scotland
Description:Scotland, a small mining district eight miles east of Joplin, was named for the Reverend Benjamin Scott. (Cyrus Crane; Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Scotland School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sheridan School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sheridan Township
Description:Named for General Phil Sheridan. (Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sherwood (also Rural, q.v.)
Description:Sherwood, which grew up in 1846 around the store of Judge Andrew McKee, just west of the present Webb City, was a flourishing village before the Civil War. It was named for an early settler there. It was also known as Rural. (Livingston (22), p. 39; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shiloh School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Silver Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Skeeterville (Fidelity, q.v.; later Lehigh, q.v.)
Description:Skeeterville was a fanciful nickname for Fidelity in its early days. It was probably named by a local joker because of the mosquitoes there. (Livingston (22), p. 315)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Smithfield
Description:Smithfield, established about 1900, was named for a Smith family. (Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Smithfield School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Snowflake School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sprin
Description:Sprin is a trading-point, but the source of its name is unknown. (Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spring Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spurgeon's Prairie
Description:Named for a pioneer family. (Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stone School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stony Point School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Summit School
Description:Atransferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sunflower School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Talbott Mill
Description:Talbott Mill, which was burned in 1861, was built by a Mr. Talbott and named for him. (Walter Colley; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Temperance School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Tower of Light School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Tuckaho
Description:Tuckaho was a mining camp established in the 1870s. It is quite likely that the name came from one of the five other Tuckahos (or Tuckahoes) in the United States. (Cyrus Crane; Postal Guide)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:Turkey Creek was so named by the pioneers because of the abundance of wild turkeys in the vicinity. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Twin Groves [1 of 2]
Description:Twin Groves is a name given to two very conspicuous small groves in the prairie. Cyrus Crane; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Twin Groves [2 of 2]
Description:Twin Groves (village) is a trading-point named for the adjacent Twin Groves (q.v.). (Cyrus Crane; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Twin Groves School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Twin Groves Township
Description:Named for the town of Twin Groves. (Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Underwood School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union City (later Joplin, q.v.)
Description:Union City was a name given to the different communities now included in the city of Joplin in the hope of uniting them under one name (in 1871-1873). (Livingston (22), p. 142)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union Township
Description:Union Township was named for the idea of its origin from parts of other townships. (Cyrus Crane; Walter Colley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union Valley School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Unity School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Valley Dell School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Victory School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:View Bank School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Waco
Description:Waco is the name of a village established about 1875. It was probably named for Waco, Texas, because there was a great deal of trade and travel between this section of Missouri and the central part of Texas in which Waco is an enterprising old town. (Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Waco School
Description:Atransferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Webb City
Description:John C. Webb, a native of Tennessee, entered two hundred acres of land where Webb City now stands. While plowing corn in June, 1873, he plowed up a chunk of lead. In the fall he sank a shaft, but the water closed him out. The next year he put out a crop, bought machinery to pump out the water, went to work in the old shaft, and in a few days he took out one piece of lead weighing 1000 lbs. In July he platted the town to which his name was given. (Eaton (28), p. 170; McGregor (18), p. 51)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:West Joplin (later Joplin, q.v.)
Description:West Joplin, established about 1850 when Judge John C. Cox opened up lead mines near it, was the name by which people designated that part of the present city that lies on the west side of Joplin Creek. (Livingston (22), p. 146, 147)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:White Hall School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:White Oak Creek
Description:Named by pioneers because of the white oaks along its course. (Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Zincite (earlier Bellville, q.v.)
Description:When Bellville got its post office it came under the name of Zincite, suggested by the mineral in the region. (Walter Colley; Cyrus Crane)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Zincite School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names