Howard County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adam's Fork Creek
Description:This is doubtless a family name altho nothing definite was found concerning it. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Armstrong
Description:In 1878, Mr. Armstrong of Illinois, who had the contract for the building of the Chicago Alton Railroad through this country, laid out the town which bears his name. (HIST. HOWARD & COOPER, p. 237; Names File Number 9)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Armstrong School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Arnett School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ashland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bawker School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Big Bonne Femme Creek
Description:The early French explorers named this stream. The translation is "good woman" but the circumstances connected with the naming were not found. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blakenbaker School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bluffport
Description:In the early days Bluffport was a boat landing on the Missouri River. It received its name in allusion to the high banks on bluffs surrounding it. (T. Berry Smith; J.B. Dickerson; Cited on Map of Missouri 1844)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boone Femme Township
Description:This township was organized in 1821 and named for its principal stream (q.v.). (T. Berry Smith)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boone's Lick
Description:Boone's Lick was a section of the country in the Missouri valley now occupied by Howard, Boone, Cooper and Callaway Counties. It had no definite boundaries. It received its name, "Boone's Lick," because the two sons of Daniel Boone, Nathan and Daniel, had come to the country in 1807 and made salt from the water of the salt springs they found in the region. (Johnson, p. 55; Barnes, p. 178; Houck, v. III, p. 148)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boone's Lick Township
Description:This township was organized in 1821and named in honor of "Daniel Boone's connection with the township and the Boone's Lick country. He erected a cabin and camped one winter in the immediate vicinity of the township that now bears his name." (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 156)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boonsboro
Description:Boonsboro was laid off in 1840 and named in honor of Daniel Boone, the pioneer, whose sons ran a salt works near the site of the town. (Eaton, p. 175; Gannett, p. 52)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boonsboro School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bunker Hill
Description:This country store was named for the famous Bunker Hill in Massachusetts. Some years ago the name was changed to Myer's. (See Myer's). (T. Berry Smith)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burton
Description:Burton is a station on the Missouri, Kansas, Texas Railroad. It was named in honor of Prior Burton, a prominent landowner of the county. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on Higgins Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burton School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burton Township
Description:Organized in 1880 and named for the town of Burton (q.v.). (T. Berry Smith)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cedar Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Central Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton
Description:In 1817 General Duff Green laid out a town at the mouth of Chariton River (q.v.). In 1829 Chariton was regarded as too unhealthful to live in, and it was abandoned. (HIST. HOWARD & COOPER, p. 205; J.B. Dickerson)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton Township
Description:This township, organized min 1821, takes itsd name from Grand Chariton River. "The river was named in honor of John Chariton, the leader of the French fur traders. The name has undergone many changes, like many other French names, having appeared as Charleton, Charlatan, Chariton, Charleton, Chareton and Charlotte; the form Chariton has now become fixed." (Eaton, p. 274; T. Berry Smith)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cherry Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clark's Chapel School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cole Creek
Description:This creek received its name from Cole's Fort (q.v.). (T. Berry Smith; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Glasgow Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Coles Fort
Description:In 1810 several families, under the leadership of Stephen Cole, settled just below the present site of Booneville and named their settlement in honor of their leader. No traces of the fort remain today. (HIST. MISSOURI, p. 182; COLUMBIA DAILY TRIBUNE, Oct. 16, 1914)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cooper's Chapel School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cross Roads School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Deatherage School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dodson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Doxie's Branch
Description:The origin of the name was not found. [See Doxies Fork] (Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Glasgow Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Drake School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dudgeon School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elkgrove
Description:This name was applied to a country post office. Nothing definite was found concerning its origin. It is doubtless a hunter's name. (Cited on Clark's Sectional Map of 1860)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Estill
Description:John R. Estill, a large landowner and stock raiser, gave the land for the railway station that bears his name. (HIST. HOWARD COUNTY, p. 174; I. Williams, p. 348; Eaton, p. 175)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fayette
Description:On "November 14, 1822 a committee was appointed to select a place for a county seat near the center of the county. They located Fayette. This was in 1823 when the news reached the west that Lafayette was soon to visit America and the town was named for Marquis de La Fayette." (Eaton, p. 175; I. Williams, p. 355; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 178)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fayette School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fort Hempstead or McLain
Description:This fort "was erected after Cooper's Fort, about two miles east of where Old Franklin afterwards stood. It was named for Captain Stephen Hempstead, an old gentleman who lived there and was also called for David McLain, a Baptist minister and one of his residents." (COLUMBIA DAILY TRIBUNE, Dec. 21, 1914; HIST. MISSOURI, p. 182)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fort Kincaid
Description:Fort Kincaid perpetuates the name of David Kincaid, who aided in establishing it. (HIST. MISSOURI, p. 182; E.W. Stephens)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Franklin
Description:Franklin "was established in 1816 and named in honor of Benjamin Franklin, philosopher and statesman. It was selected as the county seat of Howard County in 1817, and grew rapidly in population and importance until within a decade it bade fair to become the metropolis of the "Far West." In 1826-1828 during unusual floods, the Missouri River claimed its right-of-way. The flood caused the banks to cave in and in a short time little was left. The county seat was transferred to Fayette in 1823. Some of the citiznes crossed the river to Boonville, some to Fayette, others to the Highlands about two miles north and established a new town which they named New Franklin to distinguish it from the other place." (HIST. CHARITON & HOWARD, p. 85; Thwaites, v. 14, p. 150; Eaton, p. 175)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Franklin Township
Description:Organized in 1821, was named for the town of Franklin (q.v.). (T. Berry Smith)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fristoe Creek
Description:This commemorates the name of Tom P. Fristoe, an early Baptist preacher, who came to this country in 1820. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri; ATLAS HOWARD, p. 10)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Givens School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Glasgow
Description:Established in 1836, and named in honor of James Glasgow, an early settler. (Campbell, p. 253; Williams, I, p. 355; Eaton, p. 175)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Glasgow School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gold Dust School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gray School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gregg's Branch
Description:This stream was named for the owner of the farm through which it flows. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Glasgow Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Guthrie School
Description:A local family name. [Guthridge on 1941 Howard County road map]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hardeman's Garden
Description:"This name was given to a beautiful ornamental spot of ten acres laid off and cultivated as a botanical garden by John Hardeman, about five miles above old Franklin. The proprietor was a native of North Carolina, a gentleman of wealth, leisure and taste, who came to Missouri to practice law, but abandoned the profession for the gentle pursuit of floriculture. The garden was the central attraction in a fine farm of several hundred acres which the proprietor owned and cultivated, and was famous for its shell walks, its exotic and indigenous plants, its vines and its ornamental shrubbery. But it was swallowed up in rapacious Missouri River long ago, and the very name is forgotten." (Conrad, III, p. 170)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Head's Fort
Description:In 1814 Captain William Head established the fort, which bears his name. It was located a few miles north of Rocheport. (COLUMBIA DAILY TRIBUNE, Dec. 28, 1914; HIST. MISSOURI, p. 182; Conard, p. 323)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hilldale
Description:Hilldale received its name in allusion to the "hills and dales surrounding it." (T. Berry Smith; Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Howard County
Description:Howard County was organized on January 23, 1816, and named in honor of Benjamin Howard, the governor of Upper Louisiana, which became Missouri territory June 4, 1812. Because thirty-one counties were later carved out of the original Howard County, she has borne the name "Mother of Counties." (Parker, p. 266; Gannett, p. 162; Barns, p. 177)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hungry Mother Creek
Description:A company of explorers spent the winter on this stream and named it Hunger's Mother. The form has been changed to Hungry Mother. The old settlers of Howard County believe this story and it has come to be a bit of folklore. (J.B. Dickerson, T. Berry Smith; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Glasgow Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hurricane Creek
Description:Hurricane Creek received its name from the course of a tornado that swept that part of the county. Many branchless trunks of trees still mark the track of the storm. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Glasgow Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jackman Mills
Description:Jackman Mills was never anything but a mill on the Moniteau Creek, bearing the name of Mark Jackman who established it. (T. Berry Smith; Cited in MISSOURI GAZETTEER, 1889, p. 467)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jackson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kingsbury
Description:This flag station on the Missouri, Kansas, Texas road, received its name from R.T. Kingsbury, who owned the adjacent land. (T. Berry Smith; J.B. Dickerson; Cited on Official Map of 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Landmark
Description:This defunct village received its name from a very large tree that stood on a hill nearby. It was located on the old stage line road from Fayette to Columbia. (George W. Smith; Cited on Official Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lebanon School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name. (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Linridge School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lisbon
Description:The origin of this name was not found. (Cited in MISSOURI STATE GAZETTEER (1876), p. 298)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lisbon School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lloyds
Description:Mr. C.Q. Lloyds gave the land on which this station was built. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on Higgins Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Louisville
Description:"In 1832 another town was started on a point projecting into the Missouri River, at the mouth of the Chariton River, which was called Thorntonsburg, in honor of Mr. Thornton, who established the first ferry at Glasgow. This name, however, not suiting the citizens of the place, many of whom had emigrated from Kentucky, they determined to change it, and finally bestowed upon it the more euphonicus, albeit longer appellative, Louisville-on-Missouri-River." The town has been extinct for many years. (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 206)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moniteau Creek
Description:"Moniteau is a French translation of "Manitou," an Indian name meaning Diety or Great Spirit." (E.W. Stephens, Cited on Sectional Map of Missouri) [It marks the boundary between Boone and Howard Counties for two ways.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moniteau Township
Description:Organized in 1821, and named for the creek which traverses the entire length of the township (q.v.). (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 236)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Monticello
Description:Monticello was founded in 1821 and named for the home of Thomas Jefferson in Virginia. (T. Berry Smith; Cited in HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 205)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Zion School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Myers
Description:Myers was originally called Bunker Hill for the famous Bunker Hill in Massachusetts. When the post office was established the name was changed in honor of Henry Myers an early settler of the county. (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 241; T. Berry Smith; ATLAS HOWARD, p. 9)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Myers School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Naylor School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Franklin
Description:After the town of Franklin was abandoned another town was laid out, in 1828, to take its place. It was named New Franklin "to distinguish it from the other place which was henceforth spoken of as Old Franklin." (q.v.). (Smith & Gehrig, p. 85)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Franklin School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oakland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pearson's Spur
Description:Mr. Pearson established a store here and named it Rosalee in honor of his daughter. With the coming of the railroad the name was changed to Pearson's Spur because Mr. Pearson gave the land on which the station was built. [See Rosalee] (Geo. W. Smith; Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pemberton School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Green School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Possom School
Description:Near a good hunting locality (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Fork Creek
Description:The name is derived from the small prairie near the creek. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Glasgow Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Township
Description:Unlike any other township in the county, this one included originally a prairie, which constituted about one-fourth of its area. (HIST. HOWARD & COOPER, p. 236)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rawlins School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Richland Creek
Description:This creek received its name from the very fertile land through which it flows. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Glasgow Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Richland School
Description:A transferred name from a creek.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Richmond
Description:The settlers from Virginia named this town for the capital of their native state. The village has been extinct for many years. (T. Berry Smith; Cited in HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 178)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Richmond Township
Description:Richmond Township was formed in 1821 and named for the town of Richmond (q.v.). (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 178)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Roanoke
Description:Roanoke was settled in 1834 by Virginians who were admirers of John Randolph, the great Virginia statesman. The town was named for his beautiful country home "Roanoke." (Eaton, p. 175; Gannett, p. 264; Williams, I, p. 357)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Roanoke School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rocksprings School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rooker School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Russell
Description:Russell, a station on the Missouri, Kansas, Texas line, was named by the railroad, in honor of the man who owned the land. (J.B. Dickerson, Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salt Fork Creek
Description:The many salt springs near this creek gave it its name. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Glasgow Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sebree
Description:Sebree was named in honor of a prominent family in the community. The town was laid out on "the project line of the Louisiana and Mississippi Railroad. The road, however, never having been built, the town did not thrive." (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 240; J.B. Dickerson)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sharon School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:St. Clair School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Steinmetz
Description:Steinmetz was laid out on January 16, 1882, and named in honor of W.P. Steinmetz, on whose land the village was located. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Steinmetz School
Description:A transferred name from a town. [There is a school symbol on the Howard County 1941 Road Map just north of Steinmetz, but no name is given. The 1897 Howard County Atlas also has a school symbol at the same location, so above location is assumed.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sugar Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sugar Tree Branch
Description:This stream was probably named for a grove of sugar trees near it. (J.B. Dickerson, Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Glasgow Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sulphur Creek
Description:Sulphur Creek is so named because of the character of its water. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Glasgow Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Swetnam School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Talbot
Description:This flag station on the Missouri, Kansas, Texas line commemorates the name of John Talbot on whose land the station was built. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on Official Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tickridge School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Turner School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walnut Shade School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Washington School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White Hall School
Description:A local family name?
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White's Store
Description:This country store was named for its proprietor. (J.B. Dickerson; Cited in MISSOURI GAZETTEER (1876), p. 659)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilson School
Description:A local family name. [Abandoned]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names