Holt County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Allens Grove
Description:A country settlement, which was named for the man who planted a grove in this locality. (Campbell, p. 235)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Angel School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bagby School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Banks Big Spring
Description:A spring in this locality had capacity sufficient to propel machinery. William Banks settled on the land nearby. (Parker, p. 265; HIST. HOLT, p. 209)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Benton School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bigelow
Description:The original name of this town was Petersburg (q.v.). Upon completion of the railroad in 1868 the name was changed to Bigelow, in honor of an English stockholder in the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. (HOLT COUNTY SENT., Sept. 3, 1915, p. 1; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 195)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bigelow Township
Description:Organized in 1869 and named for the town of Bigelow which had been established in 1868. (J.E. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Blair School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Boswell
Description:A railroad station established in 1887 and named by railroad officials; why they selected Boswell is not recorded. (J.E. Cummins; MISSOURI GAZ., Vi., p. 178)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Chambers School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:Henry Clay, leader of the Whig Party, was a popular American Statesman, who died in 1852. Townships were established in Andrew about 1845, Atchison February, 1856, Harrison 1842 and Holt; all were named in his honor. (Miss Sallie Woodcock; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 205; 642; B.P. Sigler; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Corning
Description:Established in 1868 and named by railroad officials, why not recorded. (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 287; J.E. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crab Apple Creek
Description:In a history of Harrison County the following statement testifies as to the appropriateness of the name Crab Apple. "The early comers in the southern part of the county who named Crab Apple Creek, gained thereby the first right to a name that might well have been applied to other streams, for the Crab Apple was, and still continues to be quite common in all parts of the county." Throughout Northwest Missouri that species of trees is indigenous to the soil. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 525; R.H. Dunn; HIST. OF HOLT, p. 44; Inman, p. 5; H.N. Kennedy)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crackers Neck
Description:The southern portion of the county, the great blackberry region, is known as Crackers Neck. Perhaps a slighting reference to the early inhabitants. (Campbell, p. 235; J.E. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Craig
Description:The village in Andrew County now known as Rea (q.v.) was first called Craig, for L.W. Craig, a prominent citizen of the community. The name was changed to its present style after 1868, when a town was established in Holt County and named Craig, in honor of General James Craig of St. Joseph, who was a member of the state legislature in 1846 and a member of congress from Missouri in 1856- 1860. General Craig was active in the establishment of the railroad which called the town into existence. (Miss Sallie Woodcock; HIST. OF HOLT, p. 317)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crosen School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Culp School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Curzon
Description:A village named for John C. Curzon, who settled in that vicinity in 1865. (Eaton, p. 174)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dale Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Davis Creek
Description:This stream was named for a man by the name of Davis, who was the first settler on its banks. (HIST. HOLT, p. 166; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 128; E.L. McDonald)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Divide School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Donan's Creek
Description:Named for an early settler. (ATLAS HOLT, 1877; E.L. McDonald (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:East Rulo
Description:A discontinued post office across the line from Rulo, Nebraska. Hence the name. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 319)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elm Grove
Description:The post office at Forbes (q.v.) was called Elm Grove, when organized in 1867. Doubtless the name is derived from a grove of elm trees. (HOLT COUNTY SENT., Mar. 5, 1915, p. 1; J.E. Cummins; MISSOURI GAZ., 1879, p. 230; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 326)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Exodus School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Finley
Description:The County Seat Commissioners, John A. Williams, Edward Smith and Travis Finley, laid off the town, now known as Oregon (q.v.), and named it Finley, a name evidently given in honor of one of the commissioners. It was established in 1841. (J.E. Cummins; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 105)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Float Bridge
Description:So named because the bridge "rested on floating logs attached to each other and secured by fastenings to either bank." It is also called Hetrick's Landing (q.v.). (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 315)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Forbes
Description:Established in 1869 and named for John Murray Forbes, a railroad official. The post office was called Elm Grove (q.v.). (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 246; Eaton, p. 174; HIST. HOLT, p. 233)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Forest City
Description:Laid off in 1857 and so named because the original site was covered with forest. (HIST. HOLT, p. 205; Eaton, p. 174)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Forest Township
Description:Established in 1890 and evidently so named because of the dense growth of timber in that region. (ATLAS HOLT, 1876; HIST. HOLT, p. 205)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fortesque
Description:A name given by an English stockholder in the railroad company for his mother's maiden name. The Fortesque's were a prominent family. Mr. Fortesque was a member of Parliament. (HIST. HOLT, p. 307; HOLT COUNTY SENT., July 16, 1915, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Franklin School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gordan School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grant
Description:Founded in 1869 and doubtless named in honor of General U.S. Grant, who was inaugurated as President of the United States in that year. (Campbell, p. 238; J.E. Cummins; E.L. McDonald)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grant Township
Description:Not only was Grant a popular name for towns and post offices, but it was also a general favorite with the county courts which selected the names for townships. Five counties thus honored General Grant; one county, Harrison, gave the name in 1845, in honor of a prominent family of the county. In May, 1870, Caldwell County Court divided Blythe Township and named the new township Grant. In 1866, Jackson Township, Daviess County, was divided, forming Grant, but four years later the name was changed to Jamesport. In the same year the name was rejected in Daviess County, DeKalb organized a township and named it Grant. In Nodaway County, Washington and White Cloud Townships were reorganized; the new one formed was named in honor of the commander-in-chief of the Union forces. The dates for the organization of the Grant Townships in Nodaway and Holt were not found. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 617; SOME PIONEER HIST. ATLAS OF DAV., p. 12; HIST. OF DAV., p. 305; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn; ATLAS OF HOLT, 1876, p. 23; HIST. OF NOD., p. 159)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harden's Creek
Description:Named for an early settler. (ATLAS HOLT, 1877; E.L. McDonald (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harmony School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Helwig
Description:The post office at Richville (q.v.) was named Helwig, for the first postmaster. (E.L. McDonald; J.E. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hemme's Landing
Description:The first attempt to found a town in Holt County was made in 1844 by Henry Hemme. The post office at this place was called Lowell (q.v.). (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 287)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hetrick's Landing
Description:William Hetrick and his brother Joseph had a trading post at Float Bridge (q.v.), which was also known as Hetrick's Landing. (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 315)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Highley's Creek
Description:Named for William Highley, an early settler. (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 204; HIST. HOLT, p. 193)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hogrege School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Holt County
Description:Holt, a part of the Platte Purchase, was made a separate county in 1841. It was named in honor of Dr. David Rice Holt, a member of the State Legislature from Platte County, who died while a representative, December 7, 1840. "He was both a minister of the gospel and a physician, and had attained an enviable standing in each." (SESSION LAWS, 1840-1, p. 39; Eaton, p. 173; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 100)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hughes and Campbell's Store
Description:A country store and post office, which doubtless takes its name from the proprietors. James Hughes was postmaster. (HOLT COUNTY SENT., July 16, 1915, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Huston School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Indian Ford
Description:A famous crossing on the Nodaway River. Doubtless the name reflects the first inhabitants of that locality. (HIST. HOLT, p. 194)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jackson's Point
Description:Andrew Jackson founded Jackson's Point about 1845. During the gold rush to California, Jackson abandoned the village and his successor changed the name to Worth Point (q.v.). Mound City (q.v.) originated from the village established by Jackson. (HIST. HOLT, p. 224; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 130; ST. JOSEPH GAZ., Sept. 5, 1923, p. 9)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jeffrey's Landing
Description:William Banks operated the first ferry across the Missouri River, which he called Jeffrey's Landing, for Jeffrey Doraway, a mulatto "squatter" whose claim Banks bought. (HOLT COUNTY SENT., Aug. 27, 1915, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kelso School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kimsey Creek
Description:Named for John Kimsey, an early settler, who lived near the stream. (ATLAS HOLT, 1877; E.L. McDonald (letter); HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 127)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:King's Grove
Description:A settlement founded about 1850 by John B. King. Later it became known as Roland's Grove (q.v.). (Campbell, p. 235; HIST. HOLT, p. 194; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 205)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:King's Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Konako
Description:A country post office in the King's Grove Settlement. (J.E. Cummins; Campbell, p. 238)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kunkel's Branch
Description:Named for a pioneer settler. (ATLAS HOLT, 1877; E.L. McDonald (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lanowa Park
Description:Lanowa is a name derived from Wan-wan-Lamo-wau (q.v.). It commemorates a strip of land along the Missouri River which is said to have been sacred ground to the Indians who once inhabited the region. (LANOWA, 1925)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lewis Township
Description:Lewis Township, Buchanan County, was organized in 1839. Three years later, the same name was given to a township in Holt County, perhaps for John Lewis who was elected constable in the same year. (MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 104)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lewisville
Description:Named for its founders, Jasper G. and Elizabeth Lewis. It was laid out in March, 1850. (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 451)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lincoln School
Description:Named for a famous car.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lonesome School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lowell
Description:The post office at Hemme's Landing (q.v.) was called Lowell. Frank Lowell was postmaster there. (Clark's Map, 1860; HOLT COUNTY SENT., July 16, 1915, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lower Bottom
Description:That district of the Missouri River Valley below Forest City was called the Lower Bottom; that between Forest City and Bigelow, the Upper Bottom. (Campbell, p. 235)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Luckhardt's Branch
Description:Named for an early settler. (ATLAS HOLT, 1877; E.L. McDonald (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Maitland
Description:On May 12, 1880, the Maitland Town Company, composed with railroad officials with J.F. Barnard at its head, filed the plat of Maitland; a name which was evidently derived from the railroad official for whom the town was named. The site was formerly called Whit Valley, (q.v.). (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 195; Eaton, p. 174)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Marietta
Description:Marietta, Holt County was laid out by Harlow Lewis in 1854. The Missouri River has since destroyed the town. In Worth County, Marietta takes its name from the wife of the first merchant in the village Caleb Canady. After the founding of Isadora, in 1863, Marietta declined. (J.E. Cummins; John Ewing; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 452)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Marietta School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Marion School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mayflower School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mill Creek
Description:Settlements were made along Mill Creek, in Caldwell County, by the Mormons, in 1838. Doubtless the name was derived from an early mill. In Holt County, the stream was called after a mill built by John Thorpe. Hutson's Creek (q.v.), in Nodaway County, became known as Mill Creek for the mill built on its banks. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 344; HIST. OF HOLT. & ATCH., p. 116; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 293)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Minton Township
Description:Named for an early settler, and established in 1868. (E.L. McDonald)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Monarch School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Monticello School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mound City
Description:Laid out in 1857, on the mounds which overlook the Missouri River Valley, and named North Point (q.v.). In 1872 the name was changed to Mound City, a descriptive name. (Eaton, p. 174)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Sinai School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Napier
Description:Named for an English stockholder in the railroad company. Established in 1882. (HIST. HOLT, p. 306-7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New Point
Description:In 1875 the name of the town and post office of Grant was changed to New Point, to avoid confusion of the mails with another town by the same name. It is thought that the name was suggested by the postal authorities at Washington. (J.E. Cummins; E.L. McDonald; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 266)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nickol's Creek
Description:Named for the earliest settlers in the vicinity of the stream, the Nickols brothers. (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 262; J.E. Cummins; E.L. McDonald)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nickol's Grove
Description:A pioneer settlement in Nodaway Township made by three brothers by the name of Nickols. (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 262; Campbell, p. 235)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nishnebotna Township
Description:Townships in both Atchison and Holt Counties, which had for boundary lines the Nishnebotna and Missouri Rivers, were named for the Nishnebotna River. In Atchison County, the township was established in 1845 and reduced to its present limits in 1870, after Benton and Templeton Townships were carved out of it. In Holt County, Nishnebotna Township was organized in 1841. (HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 104; 629; 817)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway River
Description:Nodaway is an Indian name which has many meanings. A simple explanation of the word is that it signifies "placid" or "placid water." Others hold that the word means "snakes," and figuratively "aliens" or "enemies." Mr. Allen Read, in his study of Iowa place names gives the following explanation of the name of a town called Nodaway, and the river from Andres Historical Atlas (p. 420). "There was an Indian interpreter in that vicinity in the early days who the other Indians called "Not-a-way." Dr. Luther Bent, who had a contract to supply beef to them asked the Indian the reason for it, and he replied that it was because he was like a rattlesnake, vindictive, revengeful and cunning. The stream for which this town was named also had the same source for its name be said, because in the early days its borders had been infested with rattlesnakes." Mr. Read quotes from A.R. Fulton's RED MEN OF IOWA (p. 488) to show how the name Nodaway links up with Nishnebotna: "When the Indians came to the Nodaway, they found it narrow and shallow enough that they called it "Crossed-without-a-canoe" or Nodaway. For the Nishnebotna they found the opposite and said, "crossed-with-a-canoe." (Eaton, p. 198, 336 Ibid. HIST. OF NOD., p. 85; Read, W.A., p. 43-4 Ibid, Gannett, p. 225; Ibid Thwaites, Vol. 14, p. 37; Read, Allen W., p. 52)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway Township
Description:Although the Nodaway River crosses only three counties of northwest Missouri, townships in five counties were named for it. Andrew organized a Nodaway Township in 1846; Buchanan, in 1839; Clinton, in 1838; Holt, in 1841; and Nodaway in 1871. In Buchanan County, the name is no longer in existence. Nodaway Township, Clinton County, was organized before the county was reduced to its present limits. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 104; HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:North Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:North Point
Description:A Mr. Crowe purchased Jackson's Point (q.v.) and moved the post office across the street to his store. The name is evidently descriptive of relative position. The town and post office are now known as Mound City (q.v.). (ST. JOSEPH GAZ., Sept. 5, 1923, p. 9; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 131-2; Parker, p. 266)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Old Mann School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Olive Branch
Description:A country post office. (HOLT COUNTY SENT., July 16, 1915, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oregon
Description:Finley (q.v.) was of transient existence. In October of the same year, 1841, the county seat became known as Oregon. There are those that believe that the name was given for the territory then attracting emigrants. A county newspaper offers the following solution of its origin: "Mr. Finley suggested that as the location of the town was so ideal and "beautiful," it should be called "Oregon," and in accordance with his suggestion...the name was changed to Oregon, signifying the Algonquin meaning "Wan-re-gan" or "beautiful," "good," "fair." In connection with the assertion that it was named for the state of Oregon it is interesting to note Mr. Gannett's explanation of the origin of the name of the western state. "The name is said to have been derived from origanum, a species of wild sage found along the coast in the state, but another authority states that it is derived from the Spanish Oregones, which name was given the Indian tribes inhabiting that region by a Jesuit Priest, the word meaning "big-eared men." (Gannett, p. 232; HOLT COUNTY SENT., Oct. 20, 1916, p. 1; Eaton, p. 173; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 320)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Petersburg
Description:Named for Peter Reed, who originally owned the land on which the town was located. Now called Bigelow (q.v.). (HOLT COUNTY SENT., Sept. 3, 1915, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pierce School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pierson's Branch
Description:A family name. (ATLAS HOLT, 1877; E.L. McDonald (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pollack School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Porter's Branch
Description:Named for the family who settled in the vicinity of the stream at an early day. (ATLAS HOLT, 1877; E.L. McDonald (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Richeville
Description:Named by Thomas Templeton, in 1860. The name was suggestive of the rich farming land on which it was located. (HOLT COUNTY SENT., July 27, 1917, p. 6; J.E. Cummins; E.L. McDonald; HIST. HOLT, p. 312)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Richeville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Richland School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rising Sun School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rolling Fork
Description:A descriptive name. (ATLAS HOLT, 1877; E.L. McDonald (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ross Branch
Description:Robert K. Ross was one of the earliest settlers in Holt County. For him the Ross Branch and Ross Grove Settlement were named. (Campbell, p. 235; HIST. HOLT, p. 296; E.L. McDonald; ATLAS HOLT, 1877; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 420)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ross Grove
Description:See Ross Branch.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ross Grove School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rush Bottom
Description:A country post office located in a section of the county noted for its rushes. (J.E. Cummins; Campbell, p. 236)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Russell
Description:In 1838 R.H. Russell established a post office in his home. (HOLT COUNTY SENT., Dec. 1, 1916, p. 1; Hayward's GAZ., p. 824)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sharpe's Grove
Description:In 1841, W.A. and Abraham Sharpe, brothers, came to Missouri from Kentucky. (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 451; Campbell, p. 235)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sharpe's Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shiloh School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:South Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Squaw Creek School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Thorp's Creek
Description:William Thorp owned a mill on the creek which bears his name. (ATLAS HOLT, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Thorp's Mill
Description:The first post office in the county was established on Thorp's Creek (q.v.) and known as Thorp's Mill. It remained in existence only two years, from 1839-1841. (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 311; HOLT COUNTY SENT., Dec. 1, 1916, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Triumph School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walker School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wau-Wau-Lano-Wau
Description:Tradition says the Indians called the Platte Purchase Wau-Wau-Lano-Wau. From this name Lanowa (q.v.) has been coined recently, during a campaign to set off a state park in that region. (SAVANNAH REPORTER, Mar. 10, 1916, p. 1; LANOWA, 1925)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Whig Valley
Description:Theodore Higley, the first settler in Whig Valley, Holt County, gave the locality the name of that party which he most admired, -- the followers of Henry Clay. The majority of its settlers came from Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. A town was laid out and called Maitland. A settlement of "old line Whigs" in Nodaway County gave the name Whig Valley to a locality in which Fairview (q.v.) was afterwards established. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 1318; HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 116; HIST. HOLT, p. 195; Conard, vol. 3, p. 280; Campbell, p. 235; PAST & PRESENT, vol. 1, p. 260)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White's Ford
Description:So called for Joseph White, who bought the business of Thomas J. Evans, and for a crossing on the Nodaway River at that point. (HIST. HOLT & ATCHISON, p. 205)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Woods School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names