Harrison County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Akron
Description:This town was practically settled by former citizens of Akron, Ohio; hence the name. It was laid out in 1858 by John Fisher and a post office was established three years later. (BETHANY REP., Feb. 10, 1915, p. 5; Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; Campbell, p. 226)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Akron School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Amos
Description:A country store and post office established in 1873 and named for an early settler. In 1878 the name was changed to Washington Center (q.v.). (B.P. Sigler; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Andover
Description:A post office and railroad station in Colfax Township, established in 1873 and named by railroad officials. (B.P. Sigler; P.H. Dunn; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 71; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Andover School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Banner School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Battle Creek School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Belle School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bethany
Description:The county seat of Harrison County was laid out and named by a number of Tennessee settlers in 1845. The names Carthage and Bethany were proposed and voted upon, the latter receiving the majority of votes. The Reverend Mr. Allen, who was foremost in the founding of the town, selected the names from the Bible. The town has also been known as Bethpage and Dallas (q.v.). (HIST. HARRISON 1888, p. 341; Eaton p. 171; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 197; MISSOURI GAZ., p. 163; Mrs. J.M. Roberts)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bethany Township
Description:Laid out with the organization of the county and named from the county seat. (B.P. Sigler)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bethpage
Description:Bethany (q.v.) was for a while called Bethpage, a name selected from the Bible by the Reverend Mr. Allen. (BEHTANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; Mrs. J.M. Roberts)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Big Creek
Description:Doubtless named from the fact that in seasons of heavy rainfall the creek floods the lowlands. In Harrison County there are two tributaries called East and West Forks. (HIST. DAVIESS, p. 610; B.P. Sigler; Inman, p. 4; 6)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Blue Ridge
Description:A country post office established in 1858 and discontinued in 1908. The name was evidently suggested from the ridge on which it is located. (BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; Mrs. J.M. Roberts; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Blue Ridge School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Blythedale
Description:Established in 1880 and named for an official and attorney for the railroad. (B.P. Sigler; Eaton, p. 171; HIST. HARRISON, p. 166; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bodam School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bolton
Description:A country post office established in 1857 and at first called Browns (q.v.). (BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bolton School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bondurant School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brady School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brooklyn
Description:This name is a good example of the development from an uncomplimentary name to a more fanciful one. It was first called Dog Town (q.v.), then Snell's Mill (q.v.) and Snellville (q.v.), but when it was surveyed and recorded in 1865 it was named Brooklyn. "The fact that the village was located on a stream, Big Creek, may have suggested the name Brooklyn." (R.H. Dunn; BETHANY REP., Feb. 10, 1915, p. 3; Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5) [1876 Gazetteer "formed in 1855."]
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brooklyn School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brown School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Browns
Description:A country post office, now defunct, was established in 1857 and named for a family who lived in that locality. Later the name was changed to Belton (q.v.). (R.H. Dunn; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:Evidently named for the characteristic growth on its banks. (R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brush Oak School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Burr Oak
Description:A discontinued post office, located in a wooded district, hence the name. (R.H. Dunn, Cited, MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 209)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Burton School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bush School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Butler Township
Description:Named in honor of Aneph M. Butler, an early settler. (HIST. HARRISON, 1929, p. 160)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cainsville
Description:In 1854 Peter Cain, from Mercer County, in partnership with Isaac Waldrup and Henry Kennedy, erected a frame saw and flouring mill on Thompson's Fork of Grand River. The mill site became the nucleus of Cainsville, named for one of its founders. (BETHANY REP., Feb. 10, 1915, p. 3; HIST. HARRISON, 1921, p. 291; Eaton, p. 171; HIST. HARRISON, 1888, p. 357)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cisco School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:Henry Clay, leader of the Whig Party, was a popular American Statesman, who died in 1852. Townships were established in Andrew about 1845, Atchison February, 1856, Harrison 1842 and Holt; all were named in his honor. (Miss Sallie Woodcock; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 205; 642; B.P. Sigler; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crab Apple Creek
Description:In a history of Harrison County the following statement testifies as to the appropriateness of the name Crab Apple. "The early comers in the southern part of the county who named Crab Apple Creek, gained thereby the first right to a name that might well have been applied to other streams, for the Crab Apple was, and still continues to be quite common in all parts of the county." Throughout Northwest Missouri that species of trees is indigenous to the soil. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 525; R.H. Dunn; HIST. OF HOLT, p. 44; Inman, p. 5; H.N. Kennedy)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Craiton School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crouse School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cypress
Description:A country post office located in Cypress Township; hence the name. It was established in 1892, and the post office discontinued in 1903. (R.H. Dunn; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cypress School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cypress Township
Description:Founded about 1840 or 1845. This township doubtless derives its name from the timber of that species. (R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dallas
Description:The county seat, now called Bethany (q.v.), was named Dallas, in February, 1845. In November of the same year the name was changed to Bethany. Dallas was doubtless derived from the same source as the township, George Dallas, Vice President of the United States, 1845-1849. (ST. JOSEPH GAZ., May 15, 1921, p. 18)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dallas Township
Description:Organized in 1845 in De Kalb and Harrison Counties, and doubtless named in honor of George M. Dallas who was Vice President of the United States at that time. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dog Town
Description:The first case on record in Harrison County was one in which William Lauderback charged George Williams with the act of having killed the plaintiff's dog. Dog Town derived its name from this noted case. It has also been known as Snell's Mill (q.v.), Snellville (q.v.) and is now called Brooklyn (q.v.). (Inman, p. 47; R.H. Dunn )
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Donaby School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Downy School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eagle
Description:The town of Eagle was laid off in 1851. The eagle was frequently seen by the pioneers which may account for the name. Another possible explanation is that it is derived from an inn called "Eagle House" which was one of the first buildings in the village. (BETHANY REP., Feb. 10, 1915, p. 3; Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; Eaton, p. 171; R.H. Dunn; HIST. HARRISON, p. 366)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eagleville
Description:In 1881 the name of the post office called Eagle (q.v.) was changed to Eagleville. (BETHANY REP., Feb. 10, 1915, p. 3; Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview
Description:Fairview is an interesting descriptive name, found in three counties. An account of the origin of the name in Harrison County as told by Mr. E.W. Howe, in his STORY OF A COUNTRY TOWN, is as follows: "On the highest and bleakest point in the county, where the winds were plenty in winter because they were not needed, and scarce in summer for an opposite reason, the meeting-house was built, in a corner of my father's field. This was called Fairview, and so the neighborhood was known." In reality, the name describes a locality near Bethany which was made famous by Mr. Howe's popular story. Fairview, Nodaway County, was established about 1875 by John Bilby, who came from Illinois to Missouri, where he bought several thousand acres of land. He was the first postmaster in Fairview. Originally the town site was known as Whig Valley (q.v.). Denver, Worth County, was first given the name Fairview. (Eaton, p. 74; Inman, p. 98; N. Sisson (letter); MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 303; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 522; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 260)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ford School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fox Creek
Description:Named for an animal which was common in an early day. (Inman, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gillman City
Description:Laid out when the railroad was built there in 1897 and named in honor of Theodore Gilman, a banker of New York, who was President of the Missouri Railway Construction Company, which had the contract of building the railroad. (BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; Names File, No. 7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Glaze School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grant Township
Description:Not only was Grant a popular name for towns and post offices, but it was also a general favorite with the county courts which selected the names for townships. Five counties thus honored General Grant; one county, Harrison, gave the name in 1845, in honor of a prominent family of the county. In May, 1870, Caldwell County Court divided Blythe Township and named the new township Grant. In 1866, Jackson Township, Daviess County, was divided, forming Grant, but four years later the name was changed to Jamesport. In the same year the name was rejected in Daviess County, DeKalb organized a township and named it Grant. In Nodaway County, Washington and White Cloud Townships were reorganized; the new one formed was named in honor of the commander-in-chief of the Union forces. The dates for the organization of the Grant Townships in Nodaway and Holt were not found. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 617; SOME PIONEER HIST. ATLAS OF DAV., p. 12; HIST. OF DAV., p. 305; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn; ATLAS OF HOLT, 1876, p. 23; HIST. OF NOD., p. 159)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Green Castle School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Green Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hagan School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hamptonville
Description:A post office established here in 1868 was named Samson Creek (q.v.). The town was first laid off in 1869 by Hampton Cox, whose christian name it evidently comemmorates. Later the name was changed to New Hampton (q.v.). (R.H. Dunn; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 392)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Happy Valley
Description:A country post office located on Big Creek in 1868. Doubtless the name is idealistic. (R.H. Dunn; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 402; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 3)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harmony School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harrison
Description:A discontinued post office, named for the county in which it is located. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 403; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harrison County
Description:Named in honor of Albert G. Harrison of Fulton, Missouri,who was a member of Congress from 1835 to 1839. The county was organized on February 14, 1845. (Campbell, p. 225; HIST. HARRISON, p. 119; SESSION LAWS, 1844-5, p. 32; BOONVILLE WEEKLY ADV., Nov. 10, 1911, p. 2)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hatfield
Description:A post office established in 1878 and first called Neals (q.v.). It was suggested that it be called Reid, for George Reid who was instrumental in securing the post office. Mr. Reid declined the honor and gave the name Hatfield, a name whose origin is lost. The town was laid off in 1891. (BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; Alexander Reed (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hazel Dell School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hermix
Description:A current story has it that Hermix was so named because two ladies had a fight there. The village is now defunct and only this imaginative story of its origin was found. (Ira Miller; Mrs. John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hickory Creek
Description:Four creeks, found in Daviess, Gentry, Harrison, and Nodaway Counties, were named for the timber which grew along the banks of these streams. In Nodaway County, the hickory grove for which the creek was named covered half a section of land. (Adams, p. 112; T.A. Cummins; J.S. Williams; R.H. Dunn; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 201; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 244)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hickory School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:High Point School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hobbs School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hunt School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Indian Creek
Description:Like the stream in Daviess County called Indian Branch, Indian Creek was named from the fact that Indians hunted along its banks. (R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jack Oak School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:All of the counties, with the exception of Gentry, which honored Andrew Jackson by naming townships for him, likewise honored Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States. The dates for the organization of these townships are as follows: Andrew, 1846; Buchanan, 1839; Clinton, 1838; Daviess, 1840; Harrison, about 1845; Nodaway, 1871. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF DAV., p. 252; Sam Evans (letter); ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; R.H. Dunn; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 286)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lampoon Creek
Description:A country post office and trading point. (ATLAS HARRISON, 1876, p. 12)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lickskillet School
Description:A sobriquet; an assumed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lincoln School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lincoln Township
Description:Andrew County named a township Lincoln for John Lincoln mentioned under Lincoln Creek (q.v.). Atchison County, in 1871; Caldwell, in 1869; Daviess, in 1866; Harrison, in the 1860s; and Nodaway, in 1866, all honored Abraham Lincoln by naming townships for him. (Names File, No. 20; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 526; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 789; ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; Sam Evans (letter); B.P. Sigler; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 293)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Rock School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Long Branch School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lorraine
Description:Named for the Lorraine College which was founded by Henry Burgin. The post office at this place had been named Morris Chapel (q.v.) in 1874, but it was changed the following year. Lorraine was deserted when Ridgeway came into existence. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1891, p. 772; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lorraine School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lynn School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Madison Township
Description:A Madison Township was established in Daviess County in 1840, and another in Harrison County. Both were evidently named for James Madison, fourth President of the United States. (R.H. Dunn; HIST. DAVIESS, pp. 258-61; 251; HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Maise School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Marion Township
Description:Four counties chose the name Marion for a township: Buchanan, in 1837; Ray, which is now included in Caldwell, in 1832; Daviess, in 1869; and Harrison, about 1845. Perhaps all were named in honor of Francis D. Marion, Revolutionary General. (R.H. Dunn; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. OF BUCH., 1881, p. 132; HIST. OF RAY, 1881, p. 240; HIST. OF DAV., p. 725; 306; ATLAS OF DAV., 1876)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Martinsville
Description:Named for Zodac Martin, a miller. Willis Low, who founded the town in 1856, named it Middleton (q.v.), but it became known as Martinsville in 1872. (BETHANY REP., Feb. 10, 1915, p. 3; Eaton, p. 171; B.P. Sigler; Gannett, p. 201)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Matkins
Description:A country post office, named for a local resident. (BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McCollumn School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Melbourne
Description:Melbourne, in Daviess County is a railroad station. In Harrison County, the name is said to have been given by railroad officials for the city in Australia. A post office was established in Melbourne, Harrison, in 1897. (Railroad Map, 1910; B.P. Sigler; BETHANY REP., March 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Melbourne School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Middleton
Description:Laid off in 1856 by Willis Loy and so named because of its location between the towns of New Hampton and Washington Center. Later the name was changed to Martinsville, (q.v.). (BETHANY REP., Feb. 10, 1915, p. 3, B.P. Sigler; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mitchelville
Description:A country post office named for an early settler, James Mitchell. The name was changed from Woodbine (q.v.) to Mitchelville in 1865. (R.H. Dunn; BETHANY REP., Feb. 10, 1915, p. 3; Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 676)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Moore School (2)
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Morris Chapel
Description:A church was first established in the village called Morris Chapel, and later Lorraine (q.v.); it was named for Richard Morris, a pioneer. The town is now defunct. (R.H. Dunn; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mosquito Creek
Description:Bee hunters, the first white men to cross the county, are said to have named this stream at the same time they named a locality Mosquito Grove, evidently from its first notable inhabitants. (Campbell, p. 225)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mosquito Grove
Description:See Mosquito Creek.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mount Moriah
Description:Surveyed in 1865 by Alexander McCollum, for George Miller, proprietor. The name was evidently selected from the Bible. (BETHANY REP., Feb. 10, 1915, p. 3; Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; R.H. Dunn; B.P. Sigler)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Muddy Creek
Description:The name Muddy, when given to a stream, testifies as to the character of the waters of the creek. (ATLAS DAVIESS, 1876; ATLAS DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303; John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Muddy Valley School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Murphy School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Neals
Description:A country post office, now known as Hatfield (q.v.), was originally named Neals, for T.D. Neal, an attorney of Bethany, who had been influential in securing the mail route. (Alexander Reid (letter); B.P. Sigler (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New Hampton
Description:Laid off in 1869 by Hampton Cox and first known as Hamptonville (q.v.). When the town was re-surveyed by the railroad company, the name was changed to New Hampton, still honoring the founder. (R.H. Dunn; Eaton, p. 171; HIST. HARRISON, p. 165)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nossaman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oland
Description:A country post office established in 1897 and discontinued in 1902. Perhaps it is a family name. (BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; B.P. Sigler)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Panther Creek
Description:Folk stories from Caldwell, Gentry and Harrison County Histories relate that the Panther Creeks, traversing those counties, were named by hunters who killed a panther on the banks of these streams. (SOME PIONEER HIST., HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 97; J.S. Williams; Inman, p. 5; HIST. OF GENT. & WORTH, p. 178-9)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pasture Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pawnee
Description:Established about 1886 and named by Dr. Martin, one of its founders; probably from the Indian tribe of that name. [Hamilton Township] (Charles Hunsicker (letter); BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Piburn School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pin Oak School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pine School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge
Description:A country post office and settlement. The name was evidently fanciful. (R.H. Dunn; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 772)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Polecat Creek
Description:Polecat, Mosquito Grove and many other place names were given by bee hunters, who were the first white men to traverse the county. (Inman, p. 5; Campbell, p. 225)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Quackenbrueck
Description:Mentioned by McClure as the site of an old covered bridge, but not exactly located. The name was doubtless borrowed from Quackenbruck , a little town of 4200 inhabitants on the Hase, in northwest Germany. (Badeker, N. GERMANY, "General Map of N. Germany," 94; McClure, 26)
Source:Harrison, Eugenia L. "Place Names Of Four River Counties In Eastern Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1943.

Place name:Ramey School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rice Town School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ridgeway
Description:Named for an official of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company. First called Yankee Ridge (q.v.) and changed to Ridgeway in 1880. (Eaton, p. 171; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; July 28, 1915, p. 2)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sampson Creek
Description:Benjamin Sampson was the first settler on the creek which bears his name. He located there in 1833. The post office at Hamptonville (q.v.), established in 1868, was called Sampson Creek, for the stream. (HIST. DAVIESS, 1876; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; R.H. Dunn; B.P. Sigler; Alexander Reid (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shady Dell School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shain Creek
Description:Named for a family who lived nearby. (R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sherman Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shiloh School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Smith School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Snell's Mill
Description:An early mill erected on Big Creek in the 1850s, by a Mr. Snell became a local trading point. It was sometimes called Snallville (q.v.) and Dog Town (q.v.). About 1865 the name was changed to Brooklyn (q.v.). (BETHANY REP., Feb. 10, 1915, p. 3; Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; HIST. HARRISON, p. 166)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Snellville
Description:See Snell's Mill.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Snowball School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Soloman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Spring Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Stephens School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sugar Creek
Description:So named because of the sugar maple trees found along the stream. (Inman, p. 5; HIST. HARRISON, p. 98)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sugar Creek Township
Description:Sugar Creek Township, Harrison County, was named for the stream, and indirectly, because a large number of sugar maple trees grew within its boundaries. The township in Daviess County was organized in 1839 and perhaps derived its name also from the creek, which borders its northeast corner. In 1886 it became known as Lincoln (q.v.). (HIST. HARRISON, p. 98; HIST. DAVIESS, p. 248; ATLAS DAVIESS, 1876, p. 12; HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, vol. 1, p. 449)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Surprise School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Taggart
Description:A country post office established in 1886 and named for a prominent citizen in the community. (R.H. Dunn; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Taylor's Grove
Description:A settlement made by John Taylor, the first settler in a grove of white oak timber, about 1841. It is now within the limits of Eagleville. (BETHANY REP., July 21, 1915, p. 3; Inman, MISSOURI HIST. REV., vol. 20, p. 309)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Thomas
Description:A country post office named for a family in the community. It was established in 1870 and discontinued before 1903. (BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; R.H. Dunn; MISSOURI GAZ., 1893, p. 1245)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Trail Creek
Description:Trail Creek, a name perhaps given by early hunters in the county, is not only a name of a stream, but also a village which stood between the Trail and Panther Creeks. (Parker, p. 261; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tull School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union Township
Description:Union Township, Daviess County, was first a part of Honey Creek and Jackson Townships. Then it became known as Gallatin but in 1869 it was given the name Union and the last name prevailed. An atlas of Harrison County, published in 1876, gives the following testimony as to the naming of Union Township in that county: The people of Harrison County were nearly unanimous for the Union, when the war came in 1861." Worth County, like Harrison, was strongly Republican, especially in Union Township. From the name, and from the date in which it was formed, 1861, there is little doubt but that it was named because of its stand in the war of Rebellion. In Nodaway County, Union Township was organized in 1856. The origin of the name here is uncertain, for incidents of the formation of the township may have influenced the choice. (PAST & PRESENT, vol. 1, p. 314-5; R.H. Dunn; ATLAS HARRISON, 1876; HIST. DAVIESS, p. 439; ATLAS DAVIESS, 1876, p. 12; John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Victor School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walnut Grove School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walnut School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Washington Center
Description:A village, formerly called Amos (q.v.), was located in the geographical center of Washington Township. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 1258; B.P. Sigler; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Washington Center School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Washington School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White Oak Creek
Description:Evidently named for the growth of white oak timber along its banks. (R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White Oak School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White Oak Township
Description:Named for the stream and timber in that region. (R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Woodbine
Description:A country post office established in 1857 and evidently named for timber land. The town laid out there was called Martinsville (q.v.). (B.P. Sigler; BETHANY REP., Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wooderson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Yankee Ridge
Description:Five Yankee families came to Missouri about 1855, and settled on a ridge near the town called Ridgeway (q.v.). Yankee Ridge was named by Bradford and Alfred Carpenter of Vermont, Cannell Cheyney of Massachusetts, Daniel Grover and James Gillam of Maine, and their families. (BETHANY REP., July 28, 1915, p. 2; Mar. 31, 1915, p. 5)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Young School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Zimmerman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Zumwalt's Spring
Description:See Big Spring.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names