Grundy County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Alpha
Description:In 1850, Samuel Dunham opened a store at this place, which at that time bore the name Lickskillet but why, no one has been able to find out. In 1852 the town was named Nevada but in 1854 when a post office was established there, the department called for a new name as there was a Nevada in Vernon County. The town was named by Thomas Hern and Benjamin White. The town was platted in 1860. The building of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad was a death blow to Alpha, leading to the making of a new town, Laredo. (Ford, p. 114, HIST. GRUNDY, pp. 645-8)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Alpha School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Amick School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Baker School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Belshe School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Berry School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Big Oak School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Black Oak School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brimson
Description:When the Omaha, Kansas City and Eastern Railroad (now W.O. & K.C.) was built, no station was made at this, point. Later stock pens and a side track were put in use for C.D. Thompson. The shipping point was called Rolyat, Taylor spelled backwards. The town of Brimson was platted in 1898 in honor of W.G. Brimson, then general manager of the Quincy, Omaha and Kansas City Railroad Company. (O.G. Williams; J.G. Trimble, Names File No. 7; Ford, pp. 110-11)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brimson School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brush College School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brushy Station
Description:See Galt.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bunnell School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burkholder School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Buttsville
Description:Buttsville was a country post office at the home of Mr. A. Wright. Perhaps some of his family had the name of Butts. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 672; MISSOURI GAZ., (1876-7), p. 112)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cat Creek
Description:There was no explanation given for this name. Perhaps it was named for the wildcat which inhabited its banks. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 656)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Center Union School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Center View School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cole School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cookseyville
Description:J.S. Cooksey started a store at this place. A post office was soon established and called Cookseyville. The post office was soon discontinued. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 228; Ford, p. 107)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Coon Creek
Description:Coon Creek is in Taylor Township and probably takes its name from the raccoon which frequented its banks. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 657, (Map, p. 8)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Corneau
Description:See Dunlap.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Crawford School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Denslow School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dunlap
Description:Dunlap was first the name of the post office at Corneau station. Later the station changed its name to Dunlap too. It was probably named for Mr. William Dunlap who was a prominent farmer in this vicinity. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 321; Mr. O.G. Williams; Ford, p. 108)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Edinburg
Description:The town of Edinburg was first located in 1838. Isaac J. Harvey built the first house and the first store. For a time the place was known as "Harvey's Store." In 1850, Grand River College was organized here and did much toward the improvement of the town. The town was incorporated in 1877. The college was closed and moved to Gallatin in 1893. "The removal of the college did much toward bringing the decline of Edinburgh and the passing of the Quincy, Omaha & Kansas City Railroad north, and finding the town of Brimson, did more." The town was named for the city in Scotland. (HIST. GRUNDY, pp. 552-75; Ford, pp. 104, 151)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Edinburg School
Description:Named for a time.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elizaville
Description:Elizaville was the first town in Liberty Township. It was laid out in 1857. No information could be found about this name. (Ford, p. 102)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Embry's
Description:See Hickory Creek.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Estes School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ford School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Forest Hill School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fox School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Franklin Township
Description:Under the organization of 1841, Franklin was one of the original townships of Grundy County. The township's name was changed from Muddy to Franklin, May 6, 1839. It was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin. (HIST. GRUNDY, pp. 173, 492, 179)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Furnace Creek
Description:Located in Harrison and Grundy Counties. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 656; (map, p. 8)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Galt (Gault)
Description:The town of Galt was laid out in 1881 by E.L. Winters. The reason for its existence was the building of the Quincy, Milan and Pattonsburg Railroad (now Quincy, Omaha & Kansas City). At first the town was called Brushy Station because of the burning of brush and rapid clearing of the timber. It was named in honor of _____ Gault who was connected with the railroad. (J.G. Trimble, Names File No. 7; Ford, p. 10)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gault
Description:See Galt.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gee and Peterson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gehllach School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gorham
Description:See Laredo.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Granklin School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Granville
Description:This old town of Granville flourished in the 1850s on the present site of Dunlap. The name of this old forgotten town was probablty borrowed from Massachusetts or New York. The latter towns were named for John Carteret, Earl of Granville. (Ford, p. 108; Gannett, p. 142)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grinnell
Description:A post office in Grundy County. It was discontinued about 1889. The post office probably took its name from the city in Iowa. (Campbell, p. 223; MISSOURI GAZ., (1876), pp. 205; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), pp. 405-6)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grubtown
Description:Grubtown was named for Washington E. Grubbe, who staked off a claim in the year 1838. He owned a cabinet shop at this place. "At one time the plat of what was intended to be a flourishing town was laid off and given the name Grubtown but it soon sank into insignificance." (MISSOURI GAZ., (1879), p. 270; Campbell, p. 223; HIST. GREENE, pp. 657-9)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grundy Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grundy County
Description:In the year 1839, the legislature passed a bill defining the limits of Grundy County. The name given it was in honor of the distinguished statesman and United States Senator, from Tennessee, the Honorable Felix Grundy. The bill passed November 12, 1839. It was not organized into a county proper until January 2, 1841. (Gannett, p. 145; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, p. 15; Eaton, p. 170; HIST. GRUNDY, pp. 174-5)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harrison Township
Description:The township of Harrison was named "in honor of Old Tippecanoe, the ninth president of the United States." (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 709)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harvey's Store
Description:See Edinburg.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hatton Chapel
Description:The Hatton Chapel Methodist Church was organized in 1865. The Reverend Wesley Hatton was the first pastor and organizer, and from him the church took its name. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 740)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Herbert School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory
Description:Hickory is the name of the post office at Hickory Creek station. It was first called Embry's because a man by that name had a store there. (O.G. Williams; HIST. GRUNDY, (map, p. 9); Campbell, p. 22; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 437)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Creek
Description:Hickory Creek is so called because of the hickory trees that grow along its banks. There is also a railroad station called Hickory Creek which is located near the creek. (O.G. Williams; HIST. GRUNDY, (map, p. 8)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Independence School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:"The township, which bears the name of the iron willed "Hero of New Orleans" was first settled in 1837." (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 679)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:"Jefferson Township was a township before Grundy became a county and was one of the original eleven townships upon the organization of the county in 1841." It was probably named for Thomas Jefferson. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 727)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lake School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Laredo
Description:Laredo became a town in 1887. The plat of the village was made under the name of Gorham but as this town was so much like the name Gorin the name of Laredo was given by the post office department. The city of Laredo, Texas was named for the city in Spain. (Ford, p. 115; Gannett, p. 181)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty Township
Description:Liberty Township was first settled in 1838 but never assumed the name until 1848. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 705)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lickskillet
Description:See Alpha.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lincoln Township
Description:Lincoln Township was organized November, 1872. It was probably named for President Lincoln. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 608)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lindley (Stringtown)
Description:The land where Lindley stood was entered in 1841 by Thomas Dobbins who gave to John Austin one acre as an inducement to start a store there. The new "trading point" was called Stringtown from the fact that the cabins of the settlers were strung along nearly in a row. In 1845, the town was laid off and named with appropriate ceremony, in honor of Honorable James J. Lindley, who had represented this district in congress. The town was incorporated in 1876. As the town is not on a railroad it has gradually ceased to exist in recent years. (Ford, pp. 105-108; MISSOURI GAZ., (1898-9), p. 752; HIST. GRUNDY, p. 530)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lindley School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Locust Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lomax's Store
Description:See Trenton.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Madison Township (Sugar Creek Township)
Description:"Originally, the first township name the territory of Madison had was "Sugar Creek" and it was given April 7, 1837. It remained Sugar Creek Township until February, 1839 when it was changed to Madison, in honor of ex-President James Madison." (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 556)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Marion Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McVay School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Medicine Creek
Description:Medicine Creek is said to have been named by the Indians for the reason they found so many herbs on its banks that they used for medicine. (James McGee, (letter)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Muddy Township
Description:See Franklin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Muirton (Myersville)
Description:The post office at Muirton is located in Myers Township. Locally, the place is known as Myersville. Campbell lists the place as Murton. (HIST. GRUNDY, (map, p. 8); Ford, p. 110; Campbell, p. 223; MISSOURI GAZ., (1876-7), p. 340; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 867)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Myers Township
Description:Organized in 1872. It was first settled in 1840 by Lewis and Milton Myers. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 495; HIST. GRUNDY, pp. 689-91)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Myersville (Muirton)
Description:Myersville was so named because of the settlement of the Myers families in this neighborhood. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 691)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Myersville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Neola
Description:See Tindall.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nevada
Description:See Alpha.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Newton School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:No Creek
Description:No information about this name could be found. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 8)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:North Oakland School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak City
Description:See Spickardsville.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Parderton School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Peteet Creek
Description:Peteet is a Huguenot name and appears in forms: Petit, Petite, Poteat and Peteet. Joel Chandler Harris has written an interesting account in his short story, "At Teague Poteat's." Peteet is a prominent family name in Missouri and the creek was probably named after them. (Harris, MINGO, p. 37; HIST. GRUNDY, p. 671)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Valley School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ream School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Reed School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Robertson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rolyat
Description:See Brimson.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rural Dale
Description:As its name implies, it is a country post office in Grundy County. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1876-7), p. 396)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rural Dale School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shelburne School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shipman
Description:This country post office was probably named after James Shipman who was a prosperous farmer of the community. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 1400)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shott
Description:This post office was organized in 1889 and named for its postmaster, William Shott. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 1400)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Skinner School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Smith School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:South Oakland School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Spickard (Spickards, Spickardville)
Description:The town of Spickard was located on land belonging to Judge G.A. Spickard. It was incorporated in 1873 as Spickardsville. It was named after the man, (Judge G.A. Spickard), who laid it out in 1871. The station is known as Spickards and the post office Spickard. (Ford, p. 98; HIST. GRUNDY, pp. 498, 519; Eaton, p. 171; Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 494; Postal Guide, (1925), p. 852)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Spickard School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Spickardsville
Description:See Spickard.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stringtown
Description:See Lindley.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tate School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Taylor Township
Description:Organized in 1872. "It was named in honor of the Old Rough and Ready" hero of the Mexican War, General Zachary Taylor. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 656)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Terry George School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Terry School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tindall
Description:Tindall was formerly called Neola but was given the name Tindall in honor of Colonel Jacob A. Tindall who was a colonel of the Union army and was killed in the battle of Shiloh. It was made a station shortly after the building of the Quincy, Omaha & Kansas City Railroad in 1872. (Ford, p. 103; HIST. GRUNDY, p. 608; Campbell, pp. 221-23)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tindall School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tracy School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Trenton
Description:Trenton, the county seat of Grundy County, was named from the city in New Jersey. The town was first known as Lomax's Store until 1841 as James Lomax had a store there. The town was laid off in 1841 and was incorporated in 1857. (Ford, pp. 117-22; Eaton, p. 171; HIST. GRUNDY, p. 316)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Trenton Township
Description:Trenton Township was named and organized in 1872 and must have taken its name from the town as the town is in the center of the county. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 243)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Washington Township
Description:One of the original townships. It was organized in 1841. (HIST. GRUNDY, pp. 669- 70)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White Oak School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Williams School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilson Township
Description:Organized in 1872. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 643)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wolf Creek
Description:In Washington Township. It was probably named in the early days when wolves were seen along its banks. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 557)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wood Creek
Description:Wood Creek is in Washington Township. It probably derives its name from the timber along the creek. (HIST. GRUNDY, p. 671)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names