Greene County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Ash Grove
Description:Established in 1853 by Joseph Kimbrough, was named for its grove of ash trees, in the midst of which Captain Nathan Boone, son of Daniel Boone, has settled in 1834. (Conard (56), VI, p. 67; Eaton (28), p. 170)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Asher (later Pearl, q.v.)
Description:Asher was a little trading-point near Asher Creek, for which it was named. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; George B. Kime)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Asher Creek
Description:Named for the pioneer, Samuel Asher, wo settled on the stream. (T.H.B. Dunnegan; George B. Kime)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Avalon Park
Description:Avalon Park is a pleasure resort lately established near Springfield. It was probably named for the legendary Avalon, the Celtic Land of the Blest. (John W. Bass; William DeLange)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bass Mill
Description:In 1839 on Little Sac River Sampson and Andrew Bass from North Carolina built the mill which bears their name. (John W. Bass; William DeLange)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Battlefield
Description:A small trading-point about three miles northeast of the Wilson's Creek Battlefield (q.v.), was named for the battlefield. (R.S. Waddill; John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Beef Neck (also Walnut Grove, q.v.; and Possum Trot, q.v.)
Description:Beef Neck was a nickname for Walnut Grove before the Civil War. The community was made up largely of a rough element, and this roughness may account for the term of Beef Neck, a name which is very often slangily applied to a tough character. (R.S. Waddill; Dr. E.V. Lafoon)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bell Victory School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bell View School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Benton Township
Description:Named for Senator Thomas H. Benton. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Beulah School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bird Eye
Description:An old trading-point, was given this fanciful name, probably because it was very small. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bird Eye School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Black Man School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blades School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bluff School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bois d'Arc
Description:Named in 1878 for a great bois d'arc hedge planted by Mr. Goodwin in 1844. (Eaton (28), p. 170; Conard (56), I, p. 313)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Boone Township
Description:Named for Nathan Boone, Daniel Boone's son, who came to this region in 1834. (Atlas (50), p. 23; P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brick School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brookline (earlier Little York, q.v.)
Description:Platted by the railroad company in 1871, was named for Brookline, a suburb of Boston. (Conard (56), I, p. 397; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brookline School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Brookline Township
Description:Named for the town within its boundaries. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Campbell Township
Description:Named for a pioneer in Springfield. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Campbell's Station (later Ellwood, q.v.)
Description:Named for Colonel Dick Campbell of the Confederate Army. The name was later changed to Ellwood. (R.S. Waddill; P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cannefax
Description:Cannefax, established by Robert Cannefax in 1831, was named for the Cannefax family. (R.S. Waddill; John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Capernium School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Carter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cason's Mill
Description:"The Cason Mill, the oldest mill I known of," was named for its pioneer owner. ("Fragments" (19), p. 6)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cass Township
Description:Named for the American statesman, Lewis Cass. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cave Spring
Description:The name of a big spring on Asher Creek in the western part of the county. (Eaton (28), p. 170; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cave Springs (Village)
Description:A village at the Cave Spring on Asher Creek, was named for the spring. (Eaton (28), p. 170; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Center School (2)
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Center Township
Description:Center Township was so named because of its position in the county. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Central Point School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:Named for Henry Clay. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clear Creek
Description:Named by the pioneers for the clear water of the stream. (George W. Kime; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clear Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cody
Description:Cody, a little trading-point, was named for Colonel William F. Cody, "Buffalo Bill." (R.S. Waddill; John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Coleman School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Crenshaw School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Crescent Chapel School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Crystal Cave
Description:A large cave in Avalon Park (q.v.), was named for the beautiful crystal formations in it. (John W. Bass; William DeLange)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dallas Township
Description:Dallas Township was named for Dallas County adjacent to it. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Delawaretown
Description:"The Delaware Indians constituted by far the largest part of the inhabitants of this trading-point. In 1840 they reluctantly ceded the country to the United States Government, taking in exchange land near Kansas City, to which they at once removed." (Hon. L.H. Murray, in FRAGMENTS (19), p. 22; The post was named for the Delaware Indians. Houck (4), p. 217-218)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Delawaretown Creek
Description:This tributary to Wilson Creek was called Delawaretown Creek from the trading-point nearby in the early days. (FRAGMENTS (19), p. 22)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dorchester (earlier Hazeltine Station, q.v.)
Description:The Hazeltine family, who came from New York, probably gave this place the name of the New York town. (R.S. Waddill; George B. Kime)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:East Center Township
Description:Named for its position in the county. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ebenezer
Description:Soon after the arrival of Elizabeth Robberson with her seven sons and seven daughters on Robberson Prairie (q.v.), a little village and church were established. The name, Ebenezer, selected by one of the group, was given to the place. In I Samuel 7:12 we find, "Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the Lord helped us." Ebenezer in Hebrew means "Stone of Help;" but, as the Robbersons accepted the name for their new home they interpreted the meaning more freely, "Thus far the Lord hath led us on." (Holcome (13), p. 207)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ebenezer School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Edgewood School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Elk Creek Township
Description:Elk Creek Township was named from the creek. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ellwood (earlier Campbell's Station, q.v.)
Description:Ellwood was named for the Ellwood family, local landowners, when some republicans in the neighborhood wanted the name changed from that of the Confederate Colonel Campbell. (R.S. Waddill; P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ellwood School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fair Grove
Description:Chatham Duke taught a school at this little trading-point in 1846. It had already taken the name of Fair Grove from the beautiful grove of trees in which it was located. (Conard (56), II, p. 411; George B. Kime)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fair View School (3)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Farmers Township
Description:Farmers Township was named for the farmers of the region because of the insistence of one of the county judges who was a farmer. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Finley Creek
Description:Named for a pioneer settler. (R.S. Waddill; Holcombe (13), p. 189)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fisher Cave (later Sequiota, q.v.)
Description:Fisher Cave, near Galloway, was named for an early owner. (Charles O'Kelley; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Flat Rock School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Flint Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Franklin Township
Description:Named for Benjamin Franklin. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Friend's Mill
Description:This mill, built by Augustine Friend in 1832 on a branch of the James River five miles east of Springfield, was named for the owner. (Holcombe (13), p. 144)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fulbright's Mill
Description:This mill, built on Little Sac River north of Springfield, was named for its pioneer builder. (Holcombe (13), p. 144)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Furness
Description:Furness is a trading-point which was named for its owner. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Galloway
Description:Founded about 1880, was named for Major Galloway of the Union Army. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gates
Description:A small trading-point, was named for a local landowner, farmer, and stockman. (R.S. Waddill; P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Glidewell School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Grand Prairie
Description:Grand Prairie, extending from Willard by way of Springfield, Republic, and Ash Grove, was named by the pioneers on account of its size and fertility. (George W. Kime; P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Grand View School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gray School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Green Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Green Ridge School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Greene County
Description:Organized by an act of the Legislature, on January 2, 1833. The act named the county "in honor of Nathaniel Greene of the Revolution." (Session Acts 1832-1833)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hackney
Description:Hackney's Mill was named for a local landowner and miller. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hackney's Mill
Description:Named for its owner. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Harold
Description:Harold, a small trading-point, was named for a local landowner. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Harold School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hazeltine Station (later Dorchester, q.v.)
Description:This station was named for the Hazeltine family, local landowners and the most famous of Ozark apple growers. (R.S. Waddill; P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hickory Barren
Description:A trading-point eight miles northeast of Springfield on Little Sac. (Campbell, 47). Barren is a common place name signifying a barren or open spot, as is found in Barren Creek, West Virginia, Barren County and Big and Little Barren Rivers in Kentucky, and Barren and Barren Creek in Missouri. Barren was transferred from Kentucky by the Kentuckians in this settlement. Hickory was applied because of numerous hickory trees nearby. (P.T. Allen; John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hickory Barrens School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hoover's Mill
Description:Hoover's Mill was built on Finley Creek in 1839 and was named for its owner. (Holcombe (13), p. 189; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ingle's Mill
Description:In 1822 Ingle settled on the James River where the Springfield-Ozark bridge now stands and built a mill, the oldest in southwest Missouri. It was known by the owner's name. (Holcombe (13), p. 56)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ingram School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ingram's Mill
Description:A pioneer mill, was named for its builder and owner. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Named for Andrew Jackson. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:James River
Description:A number of settlers who were directly from Tennessee but originally from Virginia settled along this stream in the early days. They probably named it for the James River of Virginia. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:John's Mill (later Haven, q.v.)
Description:A pioneer mill named for its owner. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jones School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jordan Creek (also Wilson Creek, q.v.)
Description:Local jokers spoke of going across Wilson Creek, the upper part of which flows through Springfield, as "going over Jordan," and this part of the creek gradually took on the name of Jordan. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Junction City (see Nichols Junction)
Description:Junction City was the railroad name for Nichols Junction. It was so named because it was at the junction of the old Frisco and Memphis lines. (R.S. Waddill; Holcombe (13), p. 210)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kelley Chapel School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kelley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kickapoo Prairie
Description:Kickapoo Prairie was named for "the Kickapoos, who when being moved to their "reservation," were located here for a time." (FRAGMENTS (19), p. 21; Houck (4), Vol. I, p. 196)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kickapoo School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kinser School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lake View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Leeper School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Leeper's Prairie
Description:Named for Hugh Leeper who settled on it in the early days. (Holcombe (13), p. 140)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lindsey School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Little York (later Brookline, q.v.)
Description:Little York, established by some New York people, was named for New York. (R.S. Waddill; John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Locust Prairie School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Logan School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Luck School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McBee School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McCracken's Mill
Description:Built on the James River near the mouth of Pearson's Creek about 1822. It was named for the owner. (Holcombe (13), p. 57)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mentor
Description:Mentor was named by educated people who settled at the place in the 1880s. They gave it this name to suggest their appreciation of intellectual attainments. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mooney Township
Description:Named for a pioneer family. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Aetna School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Pisgah School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Pleasant School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mumford
Description:This small trading-point was named by and for a local landowner. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Murray Township
Description:Named for a prominent family living within it. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:New Hope School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:New Site School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Nichols Junction (see Junction City)
Description:Nichols Junction was the popular name for the town site laid out by Dr. James Evans in 1882. It was named for Danton H. Nichols, Superintendent of the Frisco. (Holcombe (13), p. 210; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Nine Wonders School
Description:A nickname.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:North Dry Sac
Description:North Dry Sac was so named because it often fails to run in dry weather. It flows into Little Sac. (P.T. Allen; John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:North Springfield
Description:"In 1870 North Springfield, adjoining the city limits of Springfield on the north, was laid out by the Ozark Land Company. North Springfield was incorporated on July 4, 1870. This organization was irregular, and on May 9, 1871, a re-incorporation was effected." (Conard (55), VI, p. 46)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:North Star School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oakland School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oliver Creek
Description:Named for an early settler. (John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oliver Creek Township
Description:Named for the creek. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ozark Township
Description:Named for the Ozark region. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Palmetto
Description:Palmetto is a little trading-point, the origin of whose name is unknown. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Palmetto School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pearl (earlier Asher, q.v.)
Description:Pearl, a little trading-point on the site of Asher, was named for a little girl in the neighborhood. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pearson Creek
Description:Named for Jerry Pearson who had a mill on the creek. (Holcombe (13), p. 704)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pearson Mill
Description:Built by Jerry Pearson, who got permission from the Delaware Indians to put in the mill, 1828-1831. It was named for its builder. (Holcombe (13), p. 704)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Percy's Cave
Description:This large cave is on land owned by a Mr. Percy. (R.L. Myers)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Phenix School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Phoenix
Description:Phoenix, which has one of the largest quarries in the country, sprang up about 1890. The name was probably transferred from one of the nine other Phoenixes found in the United States. (R.S. Waddill; Postal Guide, 1926)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pickerel Creek
Description:Pickerel Creek, which flows into the Sac River, was named for a pioneer family. (P.T. Allen; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Plain View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Plano
Description:The name of this little trading-point very likely came from Plano, Texas, twenty miles north of Dallas, with which city there was much trade even at an early date. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Hope School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Plummer School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Polk Township
Description:Named for President James K. Polk. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pond Creek
Description:Named for the ponds along its course. It flows into Sac River. (P.T. Allen; John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pond Creek Township
Description:Named for Pond Creek. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Porter Township
Description:Porter Township was named for a prominent family living in it. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Possum Trot (Walnut Grove, q.v.; also Beef Neck, q.v.)
Description:Possum Trot was a nickname of Walnut Grove after the Civil War. As the opossums abound in this region, their abundance probably accounts for the name. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Republic
Description:January 1, 1879, William O'Neal platted the town which he named Republic on account of his patriotic zeal. (Conard (56), Vol. V, p. 336; Holcombe (13), p. 209)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Republic Township
Description:Named for the town within its boundaries. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Robberson Township
Description:Named for the Robberson family. (See Ebenezer & Robberson Prairie). (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Robertson (later Willard, q.v.)
Description:At the coming of the railroad in 1884 Oscar Farmer opened a store and named it Robertson for the owner of the adjoining land. When he applied for a post office under that name it was refused as their was another office by that name already in the state. He then named it Willard. (George W. Kime)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Robinson Mill
Description:Built on Finley Creek by the Robinson brothers. (Haswell (6), Vol. I, p. 247)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rountree School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sac River
Description:There is a well-grounded tradition that during the 1820s the Sac Indians held some pow-wows at the big spring where Stockton now stands and that the earliest pioneers named the stream for them. We find also that the Sac Indians lived in the western part of Hickory County about fifteen miles from Stockton. (H.H. Howard; Missouri (16), p. 214)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Saint Elmo School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Saint Joe School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Salem School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Schuyler School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sequiota (earlier Fisher Cave, q.v.)
Description:Sequiota is a state fish-hatchery and a local pleasure resort. The origin of the name is unknown. (Charles O'Kelley; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shady Dell School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sherwood School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sims Branch
Description:Sims Branch, flowing into the Little Sac River, was named for a pioneer settler. (P.T. Allen; John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:South Dry Sac
Description:South Dry Sac, flowing into Little Sac, was so named because it fails to run in dry weather. (P.T. Allen; John W. Bass)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spring Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spring River Township
Description:Named for Spring River. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Springfield
Description:There are conflicting stories of the origin of the name Springfield, but by far the most satisfactory one, it seems to me, is that by Mr. Hubble. It is as follows: "Everybody in the country was invited to come in to vote their choice of a name for the county seat.---"James Wilson (after whom the present Wilson Creek is named) had a jug of white whiskey, and as fast as the people came in he took them over to his tent and said: "I am going to live here and I was born and raised in a beautiful little town in Massachusetts named Springfield, and it would gratify me very much if you would go over and vote to name this county seat after my native town." Then he produced the jug and told the voter to help himself, which he did, and of course went and voted to name the town Springfield. My informant Captain Lucius A. Rountree, told me this story many years ago, and three years ago he told it to me again.---There is no doubt that this story is true." (Taken from Captain Martin J. Hubble's story in FRAGMENTS (19), p. 33)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Squibb School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stony Point School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Strafford
Description:Strafford, at the coming of the railroad in 1870, was platted and named by John McCabe for a local landowner, a Mr. Strafford. (Holcombe (13), p. 209; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sugar Creek Township
Description:Named from the creek. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Swadley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sycamore School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Turner
Description:This little trading-point was named for a local landowner. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Walnut Forest
Description:Two miles from Strafford, was named from the walnut forest nearby. (R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Walnut Grove (also Possum Trot, q.v.; and Beef Neck, q.v.)
Description:Named for the beautiful groves of walnut trees about the town. (Eaton (28), p. 170; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Walnut Grove Township
Description:Named for the town within its boundaries. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Washington Township
Description:Named for George Washington. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:West Center Township
Description:Named for its position in the county. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:White River Township
Description:Named for White River. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Whitlock School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Willard (earlier Robertson, q.v.)
Description:In 1884 Oscar Farmer named the village for an officer of the railroad. (George W. Kime)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Willey School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wilson Creek
Description:Named for James Wilson who settled on the creek in the 1820s. (R.S. Waddill; P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wilson Creek Station
Description:Wilson Creek Station on the Missouri Pacific, stands on the Wilson Creek Battlefield and was named for the site of the battle fought there on August 10, 1861. (R.S. Waddill; George W. Kime)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wilson Township
Description:Named for Wilson Creek. (P.T. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wolf School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wyandotte School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Yoakum's Mill
Description:Named for the pioneer owner who built it on the Sac River in the western part of the county. (R.S. Waddill; FRAGMENTS (19), p. 5)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Yocum School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names