Gentry County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adams School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Alanthus
Description:Abraham Enyart, a physician who also conducted religious services in Gentry County about 1837, was instrumental in securing the first post office in the township. He called the place Alanthus. Although there is no authority for spelling the name "Ailanthus," the fact that the word "Grove" is often attached to the name seems to indicate that the name was derived from the familiar shade tree, ailanthus, which was imported from Japan. The town was established about 1858. (T.A. Cummins; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, pp. 217-9; HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 280; GAZ. HANNIBAL, ST. JOSEPH RAILROAD, p. 1 MISSOURI GAZ., p. 126)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Alanthus Grove
Description:See Alanthus.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Alanthus School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Albany
Description:The county seat of Gentry County was laid off in 1845 and named Athens (q.v.). Because there was another town in the state named Athens, the town in Gentry County was changed to Albany in 1857 -- a name suggested by Eli Carter for the capital of his native state, New York. (J.S. Williams; HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 260; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 123-9; Eaton, p. 169)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Anove
Description:The post office of Evona (q.v.) was recently changed to Anove to avoid confusion of the mails. Anove is Evona spelled backwards. (T.A. Cummins; John Williams; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 123; HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 281)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Areola Springs
Description:In 1882 the two towns known as Siloam (q.v.) and Free Water (q.v.), were consolidated and named Areola Springs. The town's chief prominence is due to the springs and Chittin's Well (q.v.), which contain medicinal properties. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, pp. 183-7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Athens
Description:Albany (q.v.) was first named Athens. James M. Howell is said to have suggested the name for his old home in Athens, Tennessee. It was laid off in 1845. In 1857 the name was changed to Albany. (JEFFERSON CITY INQ. June 19, 1845, p. 2; J.S. Williams; HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 260; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, pp. 123-9; Eaton, p. 169)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Athens Township
Description:This name was derived from the first name given to the county seat, Athens, (q.v.). (T.A. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Beggs School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Black Oak School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bogle Township
Description:This township was named for an early settler. (John S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Buckley School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Buhlville
Description:In 1871 Matthew Buhl, a native of France, platted the town of Buhlville which is evidently named for its founder. A variant spelling is Buhlsville. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 216)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bulla School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Burnett School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Canady School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Carmack School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Center Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Chittim's Well
Description:In 1860 a well was dug near Siloam (q.v.) and Free Water (q.v.). Twenty years later it was found to have medicinal properties and became known as Chittim's Well, since it was on land then owned by James M. Chittim. When springs were discovered about 1881 in that vicinity the well became a prominent feature in the new town, called Areola Springs (q.v.). (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, pp. 183-7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cogdill School
Description:Named for a prominet family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Columbia School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Colvin School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Concord School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Connestoga School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cooper Township
Description:The name of this township was taken from a pioneer by that name, Gallenburg Cooper. (John S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crab Orchard School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cross Roads School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crosswhite School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Darlington
Description:Charles G. Comstock filed the plat for Darlington on March 31, 1879. The town was named for an official of the railroad. (HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 280; T.A. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:David School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dawson School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dewey School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dorsey School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Douglas
Description:Douglas, sometimes spelled Douglass, was merely a post office located in the home of A.A. Kemp. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 190; MISSOURI GAZ., 1891, p. 308)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dover School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:East Sager School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elam School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elenorah
Description:First called Gay's Mill (q.v.). The name is the combined names of two daughters of a local citizen. It is sometimes spelled Ellennorah. (T.A. Cummins; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 183)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ellington
Description:A discontinued post office. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1891, p. 321)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Enyart
Description:A post office named for Abraham Enyart a pioneer who settled in Wilson Township in 1840. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 219)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ettieville
Description:"Abe Tyler and John Porter, who were bachelors, founded the town of Ettieville and named it for a sweetheart of one of them." The village is now defunct. (T.A. Cummins; Cited in MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 330)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Evona
Description:Established in 1879 by the Western Improvement Company, a few miles south of Albany on the Wabash Railroad. It was named by railroad officials. Recently the name of the town has been changed to South Albany (q.v.) and the post office to Anove (q.v.). (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 123; T.A. Cummins; J.S. Williams; HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 281)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Evona School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fishing River Township
Description:Organized in 1821 as a part of Ray County, this township included territory now belonging to six counties. The name was derived from Fishing River. (HIST. OF RAY, p. 241-2)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Floyd School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ford
Description:Ford, often called Ford City, was named in honor of Nicholas Ford, Congressman. It has also been known as Yolo (q.v.) and Miller (q.v.). (T.A. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ford City
Description:See Ford.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ford City School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fore School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Free Water
Description:Two towns, Free Water and Siloam (q.v.), were located within a short distance of each other. Chittem's Well (q.v.) was in the same locality. Evidently FreeWater derived its name from springs which were discovered to have medicinal properties in 1881. Siloam and Free Water were consolidated and known as Arrola Springs (q.v.). (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 350; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, pp. 183-7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gara
Description:A discontinued post office. The Missouri Gazetteer states that the name of the post office at Siloam (q.v.) and Free Water (q.v.) was called Gara. Nothing could be found concerning the origin. (T.A. Cummins; MISSOURI GAZ., 1893, p. 365)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Garten School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gay's Mill
Description:Elenorah (q.v.) or Ellenorah, originated when Jesse Gay built a stream saw and grist mill on the town site. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 183)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gentry County
Description:In 1841 Gentry was set apart from Clinton County but it was not organized until 1845. The name was given in honor of Colonel Richard Gentry who lived in Boone County at the outbreak of the Florida War. On the battlefield of Okeechobee, Colonel Gentry is said to have directed his troops for an hour after he received a mortal wound. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 92-3; HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 216; J.S. Williams; BOONVILLE WEEKLY ADV., Nov. 10, 1911, p. 2)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gentry School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gentryville
Description:Gentryville, sometimes abbreviated to Gentry, was laid out in 1848 by Charles Gay, who named it for the county in which the town is located. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 208; Eaton, p. 170; HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 280)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gentryville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grand River
Description:The Grand River, one of the largest streams in northwest Missouri, is two hundred miles long. With its tributaries, it waters thirteen counties. A French party explored this river as early as 1724 and named it "La Riviere de la Grande." In Worth County are found East, West and Middle Forks of Grand River. Two post offices were established along the banks of this river, one in Caldwell County, in 1852, and the other in Gentry County. (HAYWARD'S GAZ., p. 824; HIST. OF CALD., p. 638; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 375; 1876, p. 201; Adams, p. 102; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 85; THE EVENING TRIBUNE, Sept. 4, 1915, p. 1; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 685; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grandview School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grantham School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Greenwell Ford
Description:Named for an early settler, Robert Greenwell, who operated a ferry boat across the river at this point about 1845. Although a bridge has replaced the ferry, the name is still retained as Greenwell Ford. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 215; T.A. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gribbleville
Description:Named for its founder, the Reverend Mr. Gribble. It is also known as Regeney (q.v.). (T.A. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hall School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Havana
Description:Havana was originally called Nigger Heel (q.v.). When a post office was applied for, the department at Washington gave the name Havana, probably for Havana, Cuba. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 409; J.S. Williams; T.A. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hickory Creek
Description:Four creeks, found in Daviess, Gentry, Harrison, and Nodaway Counties, were named for the timber which grew along the banks of these streams. In Nodaway County, the hickory grove for which the creek was named covered half a section of land. (Adams, p. 112; T.A. Cummins; J.S. Williams; R.H. Dunn; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 201; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 244)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Higginsville School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Howard Township
Description:Named for Samuel and Asa Howard, early settlers in the southwest corner of the township. They came from Ohio to Gentry County in 1840. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 177; J.S. Williams; HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 247)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Howell School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Huggins Township
Description:John Huggins, for whom the township was named, came from Ohio about 1845 and settled west of the Middle Fork of Grand River. (HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 253)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hugginsville
Description:Named for John Huggins, mentioned in the preceding paragraph about Huggins Township. (HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 253)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Island Branch
Description:The origin of this name was not discovered. (J.S. Williams; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 157)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Island City
Description:A small inland village, located on Island Branch about 1857 by M.S. Couch, who opened a store which he called Salem, (q.v.). (HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 280; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 189)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Island City School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Four counties honored Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the United States, when each named a township Jackson: Buchanan in 1843; Clinton, 1833; Daviess, 1840; and Nodaway, 1866. Andrew & Gentry Counties honored pioneer settlers. Jackson Township, in Andrew County, eas established in 1846. (HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; HIST. OF CLINTON, p. 103; HIST. OF DAVIESS, p. 252; 744; ATLAS OF DAVIESS, 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; Sam Evans (letter); PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 281; C. Gooden; Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jacksonville
Description:In Gentry County, Jacksonville was named for William Jackson and his brother, founders of the town. It was established about 1876. Graham, (q.v.) in Nodaway County, was named Jacksonville in 1856 when it was established by Andrew Brown. It was doubtless named in honor of Andrew Jackson. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 154; HIST. NODAWAY, p. 205; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 84; Eaton, p. 336; PAST & PRESENT, p. 273)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jennings School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Karr School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:King City
Description:In 1858 a community in Gentry County applied for a post office which they wished to name Petersburg. Postmaster General King replied that there was another name similar to that in the state, and when the matter of selecting a name was left with him, he called the post office King City, after himself. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 190; HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 277)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lafayette School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Liggett School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Locust Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Rock School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Star
Description:Perhaps the naming of this village was influenced by the Lone Star State, Texas. (T.A. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:The name Long Branch, describes the length of streams found in four counties of Northwest Missouri. (Names File No. 20; J.S. Williams; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 650; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 276)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McClanahan School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McCurry
Description:A hamlet platted in 1879 by the Western Improvement Company and named for William McCurry, a prominent citizen of the locality. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 160)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McFall
Description:McFall received its name from John McFall, Sr., who owned the land where the town was built. McFall was platted in 1879. (HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 279-80; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 215; J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McGuire School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Millen
Description:Ford City (q.v.) or Ford, was formerly called Yolo (q.v.) and Millen. The village was located on the farm of John G. Millen, which accounts for the name. (T.A. Cummins; HIST. GENTY & WORTH, p. 190)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Millen School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Miller School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Miller Township
Description:Like most of the townships in Gentry County, Miller Township was named for a pioneer settler, Isaac Miller, who, with his brother Tobias, came to Gentry County in 1832 in search of honey and wild game. Two years later they came to settle. The township was organized in May, 1845. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 97; 102; J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mission Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mount Pleasant
Description:Doubtless an idealistic name. The post office was called Ellington (q.v.). (T.A. Cummins; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 158)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mount Vernon
Description:Doubtless suggested by George Washington's estate. The post office was called Lone Star (q.v.). (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 181)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School [1 of 2]
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School [2 of 2]
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Needles School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nigger Heel
Description:A ford on Grand River was called Nigger Heel, evidently just an uncomplimentary nickname. The post office was named Havana, (q.v.). (T.A. Cummins; J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Norman School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Panther Creek
Description:Folk stories from Caldwell, Gentry and Harrison County Histories relate that the Panther Creeks, traversing those counties, were named by hunters who killed a panther on the banks of these streams. (SOME PIONEER HIST., HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 97; J.S. Williams; Inman, p. 5; HIST. OF GENT. & WORTH, p. 178-9)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Peddler's Creek
Description:A current story given the following account of the naming of this stream. A peddler came to Gentry County to sell whiskey and merchandise to the Musquaque Indians, who frequently came to the county on hunting expeditions. A man named Vassar, and a group of his friends dressed like Indians, frightened the peddler away, and seized his goods. The creek whereon the attack was made was thenceforth known as Peddler's Creek. (J.S. Williams; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 155)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Philander
Description:About 1855 Allen Carter laid out a town on Panther Creek and named it Philander, a masculine personal name. It is now defunct. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 181)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pin Oak Grove
Description:The name Pin Oak Grove, from the familiar trees, was given to two post offices, both of which were established about 1880. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 371; 1883, p. 762; T.A. Cummins)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Flower School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Quigley School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Regency
Description:Regency, also called Gribbleville (q.v.) was perhaps named from the fact that the village was the regency of the Reverend Mr. Gribble, founder. (T.A. Cummins; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 213)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Salem
Description:In Caldwell County, three Mormon brothers settled in 1833, at a place called Salem, a Hebrew word signifying peace. Coffey (q.v.) in Daviess County, was known as Salem, when it was established in 1856. Evidently its founder, B.F. Coffey, selected the name from the Bible. About 1857, M.S. Couch opened a store in Jackson Township, Gentry County, and added a third name to the list of towns called Salem. This name was changed to Island City (q.v.). (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 123; SOME PIONEER HIST.; HIST. OF DAV. & GENTRY, p. 85; 280; Names File, No. 7; ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 189)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sandsville School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sandville
Description:A corrupt form of spelling for Saundersville, being spelled like the name, Saunders, was pronounced. Daniel Saunders sold goods at the town as early as 1838. The town, which is now defunct, was the oldest in the county. (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 122)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shattuck School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shepherd School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shookley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Siloam School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Siloan
Description:A town near Chittim's Well (q.v.) was called Siloam, perhaps from the fountain at Jerusalem. (John IX, 7.) (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, pp. 183- 7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:South Albany
Description:Evona (q.v.) is the nearest railroad station on the Wabash to Albany (q.v.). Recently an attempt has been made to change the name of Evona to South Albany. Evona is three and one-half miles south of Albany. (T.A. Cummins; J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Spessard School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Stanberry
Description:Organized as a village in 1880 and named for John J. Stanberry, an early settler and the original owner of the town site. (J.S. Williams; Eaton, p. 170; HIST. DAVIESS & GENTRY, p. 272) [See 1882 HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 403; John Stansbury not Stanberry]
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sumner School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union Grove
Description:Platted by Jabez Hunt in 1871. Like Union City and other place names given immediately following the Civil War, this name perhaps reflects the victory of the north. (T.A. Cummins; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 154)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union Grove School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Victory School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walker School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Waterman School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wayman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Weldon Branch
Description:Named for a pioneer, John Weldon. (J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:West Sager School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wild Cat Branch
Description:A popular story, recorded in a county history, gives the following concerning the origin of this name: "The cabin of Tiney Hilton stood near this branch. It is said by those who knew him, that wild cats and coons were among his favorite meats." (HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 189)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wilson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wilson Township
Description:Named for a pioneer settler. (J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Yolo
Description:Ford (q.v.), also known as Millen (q.v.) had a post office called Yolo, though the name was not commonly used. (T.A. Cummins; HIST. GENTRY & WORTH, p. 190)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names