Gasconade County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Ash Creek
Description:See Frene Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bailey's Creek
Description:A tributary of the Missouri River. Named for the family who entered the land on it. (G.H. Caughell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Barbarick School
Description:In southern Third Creek Township. Named for Joseph Barbarick on whose farm it is located. (J.C. Price)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bartonsville
Description:The county seat before Osage and Maries Counties were formed. The county seat was moved here in 1825 when Gasconade City, the first county seat, was flooded. In 1828 Bartonsville was flooded, and the county seat was moved to Mt. Sterling. Spelled Bartonville in HISTORY OF FRANKLIN COUNTY, etc. It was located on the Gasconade River in what is now Osage County. The origin of the name could not be determined. (Wetmore, MAP OF MISSOURI, 1837; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 628, 630)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bartonville
Description:See Bartonsville.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Baur
Description:See Tea.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bay
Description:A post office in central Boulware Township. The origin of the name could not be determined. (Postal Guide 1867f; MAPS 1873f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bear Cave
Description:On Dry Fork. Known to the early hunters as the resort of bears, and so named by them. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 619; Campbell, 209; Conrad, III, 5)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beaver
Description:See Bem.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beaver Pond
Description:Its margin is decorated with small islands supposed to have been the work of beavers. Located on Dry Fork. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 619; Campbell, 209)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Beemont Methodist Church
Description:In eastern Boeuf Township. Named for the village of Beemont which is across the county line in Franklin County. (H.H. Lengeberg)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bem
Description:A discontinued post office in Brush Creek Township. The origin of the name could not be determined. Formerly known as Beaver because there were so many beavers in Dry Fork Creek Bottom. The name was changed when the post office was established because there was another Beaver in Missouri. (Postal Guide 1876-1932; Maps 1873f; August Studenbroker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bethel Baptist Church
Description:In Third Creek Township. Bethel means "house of God" (JUDGES xxi. 2). Also known as Third Creek Baptist Church because of its location near the head of Third Creek. (J.C. Price)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Big Berger Creek
Description:Rises in Boeuf Township and empties into the Missouri River. Pike calles it Shepherd River, and Lewis and Clark, ed. 1893, p. 9, Shepherd dr. Coue's note, 365, says, "I am told by R.J. Holcombe that the word is not the common French noun "berger," a shepherd, but a personal name, probably of the old German pioneer Caspar Burger, a founder of the colony there; if so, it should not have been translated into English. The word is mangled into "Boeger" on the beautiful chart of the Missouri River Comm." Also spelled Burger by Coues, 365. Berger, in French, means shepherd. The soft pronunciation of the "g" would indicate that the word is French. (Littre)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bland
Description:A town in western Clay Township. Named for Richard P. Bland, who was for many years a member of Congress for Missouri from the district of which Osage County formed a part. (1873-1878, 1883-1894, 1897-1899) (Eaton, 168; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 685; Postal Guide 1886-1935; OSAGE DIR., 32)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Blaschke Island
Description:Nothing could be learned of this place. Possibly it was one of the many islands in the Missouri River which appear and disappear frequently. (MAP 1913)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boettcher School
Description:In southern Third Creek Township. Named for Wiegman Boettcher on whose farm it is located. (J.C. Price)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boeuf Creek
Description:Rises in Canaan Township and empties into the Missouri River in Franklin Township. Misspelled Boeff in Campbell, 208. Well known also, as Buffalo Creek, a translation of the French word; for the French in Missouri usually called the buffalo "boeuf," i.e. cow. Appears as Riviere au Boeuf in Beck's GAZ. (Littre)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boeuf Township
Description:In the eastern part of the county. Probably named for the creek which crosses its southeast corner.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boon Township
Description:The first session of the county court divided the county into three townships of which Boon was one. It included all the southern part of the county. It was later spelled Boone. In 1822 Skaggs Township (q.v.) was formed from part of Boon. Boon Township no longer exists. One of the earliest mill owners was named Daniel M. Boon. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 625, 626, 627)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Boulware Township
Description:In the western part of the county. When the county was first divided into just three townships, Boulware was the central one. After the creation of Osage County in 1841 Gasconade was re-divided into four Townships of which Boulware was one. Philip Boulware was the first constable of Boulware Township. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 625, 626, 628)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bourbeuse River
Description:Rises in Phelps County. Formed by the union of Dry Fork and Watson's Fork. Spelled Bourbois on MAP 1913 and in HIST. FRANKLIN etc. Beck calls it the Bourbeuse (or Muddy) river. Wetmore also has the word muddy in parentheses after the name. "Bourbeux, euse" means mire, muddy, sloughy, sloshy. The name does not seem very appropriate because the Bourbeuse is ordinarily a clear stream. (Wetmore, 242; Beck, 263) (Littre)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bourbois
Description:See Rosebud.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bourbois River
Description:See Bourbeuse River.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bourbois Township
Description:The southwest township. Organized on May 5, 1828. Probably named for the river which heads in it. (HIST. FRANKLIN, etc., 625)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Bowen Creek
Description:A tributary of the Bourbeuse River in Bourbois Township. Named for Colonel Isaiah Bowen who built a mill at its mouth and entered the land. (HIST. FRANKLIN, etc., 621; Tom Bowen)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brick Pentacost Church
Description:In northeastern Brush Creek Township. The church is built of brick. Pentacost is a misspelling for "Pentecost," the day of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit (ACTS ii.), which constituted the birthday of the Christian Church. This is the denomination known as the Pentecostal Church, or Church of the Nazarenes. (Mrs. Edward Shelton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brush Creek
Description:A tributary of the Bourbeuse River in Brush Creek Township. So named for the growth of brush along its banks.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Brush Creek Township
Description:The southeast township. On May 14, 1858, Bourbois Township, was divided and Brush Creek Township formed. It is probably named for the stream which empties into the Gasconade River within its boundaries. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 628)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Buffalo Creek
Description:See Boeuf Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Burchard School
Description:In western Brush Creek Township. Named for P.W. Burchard, a lawyer who lived there. (Louis Landwehr)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Canaan Township
Description:In the eastern part of the county. Organized in 1846 from Third Creek Township. Named for Canaan (q.v.). (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 628)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cave Hill
Description:About a mile south of Bay. So called because there is a cave in the side of it. (H.F. Waldecker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cedar Branch
Description:See Cedar Fork.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cedar Fork
Description:A tributary of Third Creek in Third Creek Township. So named for the many cedar trees along its banks. Also known as Cedar Branch. (J.C. Price)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Charlotte
Description:A discontinued post office. Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1889-1902)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clark Township
Description:Organized in 1820. It was the north one of the three original townships. The name no longer exists. The origin of the name could not be discovered. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 625, 626)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:In the southwest part of the county. It was formed from Third Creek and Bourbois Townships because of the inconvenience of voting precincts far apart. Named for Henry Clay, the famous statesman. (W.F. Strehlman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clear Creek Branch
Description:A small tributary of Crider Creek in Third Creek Township. The name is descriptive of its character. Also known as Clear Fork. (W.F. Strehlman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clear Fork
Description:See Clear Creek Branch.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cleavesville
Description:A discontinued post office in Clay Township. Named for Cleaveland Luster, the first storekeeper. Doubtless he was called "Cleave" for short, and the suffix ville was added. (Postal Guide 1867-1902; MAPS 1902f; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 685)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Clifty Creek
Description:A tributary of Big Berger Creek in Boeuf Township. So named because its course is through hilly country. "Clift" (for cliff) and "clifty" are obs. forms which have survived in local American usage. (H.H. Lengeberg)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Coles Creek
Description:A tributary of the Missouri River in Roark Township. The origin of the name could not be determined.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Collier School
Description:In southwest Brush Creek Township. So named because it is located on the Collier farm. (Louis Landwehr; Wm. Collier)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Crider Creek
Description:Rises in Clay Township and empties into Third Creek in Third Creek Township. Named for the Crider family which lived on it. (J.C. Price)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Cullins Township
Description:Laid off in 1822. No longer exists. Cf. Cullen Township. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 626)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dan Branch
Description:A tributary of the Bourbeuse River. It was named for Daniel Boone (1735?-1820), who lived in the southwest corner of Franklin County prior to his removing to Warren County, Missouri. No stream with this name appears on available maps. Perhaps it was another name for Boone Creek (q.v.). (Miss Johnson: Henry Rewey)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Delphi
Description:A discontinued post office in Bourbois Township. It was still a post office in 1860. Neither the location nor the origin of the name could be discovered. (Postal Guide 1837, 1853; MAPS 1865, 1867, 1873; MISSOURI GAZ., 70)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Douglas Prairie
Description:Named for Fred Douglas, who owned the land. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 620; Campbell, 208)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Drake
Description:A post office in Boeuf Township, named for Senator Charles D. Drake, United States Senator from Missouri (1867-1871). (Postal Guide 1870f; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 685; HIST. CHARITON, 52, 53)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Fork
Description:A tributary of the Bourbeuse River. Also known as Dry Fork Creek. So called because it does not run during a large part of the year. (W.F. Strehlman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Dry Fork Creek
Description:See Dry Fork.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ehlenberg
Description:In Roark Township. Nothing could be learned of this place. (R.M. 1936)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:First Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River. Rises in Boulware Township and flows through Roark Township and Richland Township. So named because it is the first large creek in Gasconade County up the river from its mouth. (Geo. Schneider)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Frame Creek
Description:See Frene Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Fredericksburgh
Description:A post office in western Richalnd Township on the Gasconade River established in 1853 and discontinued in 1922. It was named for a Fredericks family who were the first settlers. The place is now a summer resort. It touches the county line, and before 1892 the post office was located across the line in Osage County. (MAPS 1873f; Postal Guide 1853-1922; Frank Johnson; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 684)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Frene Creek
Description:A tributary of the Missouri River. Coues says it was named Riviere aux Frenes by the French and appears as Frame Creek (doubtless a corruption of Frene) which is on the Missouri River Comm. map. It is also known as Ash Creek. Hermann is at its mouth. Frene = ash. (Coue's note, 366; Littre)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gasconade
Description:Near the mouth of the Gasconade River for which it is named. It was the first county seat. In 1825 on account of a flood, the county seat was moved to Bartonsville. It once came within two votes of securing the state capital instead of Jefferson City. It was also known as Gasconade City. There is a government boat yard there. (MAPS 1865f; Postal Guide 187-f; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 628, 630, 683; Beck, 281; Mitchell's MAP 1836)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gasconade City
Description:See Gasconade.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gasconade County
Description:Organized by an act of the territorial legislature on November 25, 1820, before Missouri became a state, from Franklin County. All the unorganized portion (nearly one fourth) of the state south and west was attached to it. It was frequently referred to as the "State of Gasconade." In 1841 it was divided, and Osage County formed. In 1869, thirty- six square miles were transferred to Crawford County. On the north is the Missouri River; on the west, Osage and Maries Counties; on the south, Phelps and Crawford; and on the east, Franklin County. It is named for the Gasconade River (q.v.) which empties into the Missouri River within its boundaries. It originally included most of the present Maries County. (Campbell, 208; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 623-625; Wetmore, 75)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gasconade Ferry
Description:A discontinued post office on the Gasconade River in Richland Township. Obviously named for the Gasconade River. (Postal Guide 1830, 1867-1876; MAPS 1867, 1873, 1880)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gasconade River
Description:Rises in Pulaski County and flows through Maries County, crosses the southeastern part of Osage County, and empties into the Missouri River in Gasconade County. Coues says it "got its name from the way certain persons bragged about their exploits when they returned to St. Louis." Eaton says the name was applied by the early French to the Indians living on its banks who bragged about their exploits and that the name is also descriptive of the waters of the river, which are "boisterous and boastful." At any rate the name is from the French word "gascon," a boaster, braggart, a Gascon. The Gascons, inhaibitants of the province of Gascony in France, were noted for their boastfulness. The verb, "Gasconner," means to brag. Also "gasconnade" is a noun meaning boast, brag. "Gasconer," to brag and "gasconade" n. are English words. (Eaton, 169; Coues's note, 367; Littre)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gebler
Description:A discontinued post office in Roark Township. Named for W.S. Gebler, a pioneer who established a store there. (Postal Guide 1888-1901; MAPS 1904, 1936; Eaton, 169) [On 1906 Map of Missouri, p. 688, HIST. GASCONADE COUNTY]
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gibson Township
Description:Laid off in 1822 from Clark Township and later discontinued. The origin of the name could not be discovered. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 626)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Grace School
Description:In northern Bourbois Township. Named for a Mr. Grace who donated the land. [On 1941 Highway Map] (O.F. Scheel)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Gray Township
Description:Laid off in 1822 and later discontinued. Named for a Gray family. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 626; W.F. Strehlman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Halloway
Description:A discontinued post office. Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide W1837)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Heckman's Island
Description:In the Gasconade River in Boulware Township. Named for the owner. (H.F. Waldecker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Held's Island
Description:In the Gasconade River between Boulware Township and Richland Township. Named for the owner. (H.F. Waldecker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hemby School
Description:In southern Brush Creek Township. A family name. (Louis Landwehr)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hermann
Description:A town on the Missouri River in Roark Township. Hermann was settled and laid out by the "German Settlement Association of Philadelphia" on November 2, 1837, on which date the name of the town was discussed and this decision was reached: "That the city to be built on the land bought by the German Settlement Association should receive the name of Hermann." The post office was established in 1840. Named for the German hero, Herman, usually known as Arminius, (17 B.C.-21 A.D.) who defeated the Romans in the Alps. (Postal Guide 1853f; MAPS 1845f; Sauer, 166; MISSOURI GAZ., 116; Eaton, 169; L.E. Robyn; ENC. BRIT., V II, 385)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Highland School
Description:In eastern Bourbois Township. A descriptive name. (O.F. Scheel)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hinton School
Description:In Canaan Township. Named for the Hinton family. (Mrs. Edward Shelton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Hoppe School
Description:In western Richland Township. A family name. (G.H. Caugnell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Island School
Description:In western Brush Creek Township. It stands on land in the fork of Dry Fork Creek and Bourbeuse River which suggested an island. (Louis Landwehr)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Johnson Station
Description:An abandoned village in eastern Canaan Township, east of Rosebud. Named for Dr. Johnson, who lived there and owned the land. There is still a railroad siding there. (MAP 1913; W.F. Strehlman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Juedeman School
Description:In northeast Brush Creek Township. Named for Herman Juedeman who donated the land. [On 1941 Highway Map] (Mrs. Edward Shelton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Kiehl School
Description:In southwestern Boeuf Township. Named for the Kiehl family. [Found on 1941 Highway Map] (H.H. Lengeberg)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Koelling's Islands
Description:In western Boulware Township in the Gasconade River. Named for the owner. (H.F. Waldecker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Krueger Ford
Description:Across the Gasconade River. A family name. (A.A. Schmudde)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lange School
Description:In western Richland Township. Named for the Lange family, on whose farm it was built. (E.H. Mertens)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lange Store
Description:A discontinued post office. Named for E. Lange, Sr., who built a store there in 1858. [Located about three miles south of Morrison and northeast of Fredericksburg](Postal Guide 1886-1897; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 684)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Leander
Description:In the center of the county west of Woollam. In northeast Canaan Township. Missouri Gaz., 157, lists it as a post office in 1860. Nothing could be learned of this place. (MAPS 1865, 1867, [1868], 1873)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Leduc
Description:A discontinued post office in Bourbois Township. Appears as Loduc on Map 1880. Leduc (French) means "the duke." Named for an early family. (Postal Guide 1876-1895; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., [686] Williams, 388; Littre; O.F. Scheel)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Berger
Description:A discontinued post office in Roark Township near the head of Little Berger Creek (q.v.) for which it is obviously named. (Postal Guide 1886-1901; MAPS 1873f)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Berger Creek
Description:A tributary of Big Berger Creek (q.v.). Rises in Gasconade County. Appears as Little Berger River on MAP 1873.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Little Berger River
Description:See Little Berger Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Loduc
Description:See Leduc.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Long Ridge School
Description:In northern Bourbois Township. The name is descriptive of the location. (O.F. Scheel)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Lost Hill School
Description:In western Boulware Township. So called because it is on a lone hill in the prairie, apparently lost from any range of hills. (H.F. Waldecker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Manda
Description:A discontinued post office which was located near the center of the county. The post office was first in the farmhouse of a Mr. Tschappler. It was first named Zoar for Zoar Church (q.v.) nearby. The mail was frequently missent to Zoar so Mr. Tschappler was allowed to choose a new name for the post office. He named it for his daughter, Manda. The place no longer exists. (Postal Guide 1899-1904; MAP 1904; Collier)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Margaret
Description:A discontinued post office in southern Clay Township. Nothing could be learned of this place. (Postal Guide 1896-1904; MAPS 1904, 1913)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Maries Township
Description:Organized on June 18, 1832 from the southwest corner of Gray Township. It no longer exists. Obviously named for the river (q.v.). (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 627)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mary's Creek
Description:See Maries.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Morgan School
Description:In central Canaan Township. Named for the Morgan family on whose land it is located. (H.H. Lengenberg)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Morrison
Description:A town in the northwest corner of Richland Township on the Missouri River. Named for Alfred W. Morrison, who owned a large plantation there in early days. (Postal Guide 1867f; MAPS 1873f; E.H. Mertens)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mount Pleasant Baptist Church
Description:In southeast Bourbois Township. A descriptive name. Organized in 1844. (Tom Bowen)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mount Sterling
Description:A town in western Boulware Township on the Gasconade River. It was the third location of the county seat. It is on Starky's Bluff, which is named for Joel Starky, who entered the land on May 10, 1825. It is also known as Shockley's Bluff for Thomas Shockley, who bought the land from Joel Starky on July 14, 1825 and lived there. The county seat remained here from 1828 to 1842, when it was moved to Hermann. MISSOURI GAZETTEER lists it as a post office in 1860. The origin of the name, Mt. Sterling, could not be determined. (Postal Guide 1895f; MAPS 1836f; Postal Guide W1837, H1853; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 632)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mud Creek
Description:A small stream which rises in Crawford Township, Osage County and empties into the Gasconade River in western Boulware Township, Gasconade County. The bed of this stream is muddy and, when the Gasconade River rises, this creek covers the surrounding bottoms with a layer of mud. (A.A. Schmudde; F.A. Schaeperkoetter)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Mud Creek School
Description:In western Boulware Township. Named for Mud Creek (q.v.) on which it is located. (F.A. Schaeperkoetter)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Muddy River
Description:See Bourbeuse River.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Neese School
Description:In eastern Boulware Township. Named for Herman Neese on whose farm it is located. (J.C. Price)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:New Bethel Baptist Church
Description:In Third Creek Township about three miles south of Bethel Baptist Church (q.v.). Organized in 1888. (J.C. Price)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:New Woollam
Description:See Woollam.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:New Woollam Methodist Church
Description:See Zoar Methodist Church.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oak Forest Baptist Church
Description:In southwest Bourbois Township near Oak Forest Baptist Church (q.v.) near which it stands and for which it is named. (O.F. Scheel)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Old Woollam
Description:See Woollam.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Oldenburg
Description:The county history says this place was on the Gasconade River just below the mouth of Sugar Camp Creek, but local inquiry produced no information. It was perhaps named by the German settlers for the grand duchy of Oldenburg in Holstein, Germany. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 688) [Could it be possible that this is now the small community of Stolpe, that is below the mouth of Sugar Creek? (S.T. 1975)]
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Osage Township
Description:Organized on May 6, 1839. It no longer exists. Probably named for the Osage River (q.v.) since Osage County was organized in 1841. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 627)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Owensville
Description:A town in Canaan Township. Named for the first settler there, a Mr. Owen. In partnership with E. Luster, Mr. Owen opened the first store there. It is said that in naming the village, they could not decide whether to call it Owensville or Lusterville. The two men agreed to pitch a game of horseshoes, and the winner was to be honored with the name. Mr. Owen won the game. (Postal Guide 1867f; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 687; Collier)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pace
Description:A village in Roark Township. Nothing could be learned of this place. (R.M. 1936)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Palestine
Description:An ancient town, by most forgotten, and by many never known, was located on part of the west half for the southwest quarter of Section 10, T. 42, R. 5 west. The town was laid out in 1840 by Gordon P. Wyatt. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 688)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pershing
Description:A post office in southwest Richland Township on the Gasconade River. Originally known as Potsdam. The settlers came from Potsdam, Germany, and it is said they named the place for their old home. On the other hand, there actually was a man named Potts who built a dam and a mill here, and it is said also that the place was so named for that reason. During the World War, due to national feeling, the name was changed to Pershing for General John J. Pershing. (Postal Guide 1895-1918; 1921f; Maps 1913f; G.H. Caughell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Persimmon Pond School
Description:In Brush Creek Township. Named for the many wild persimmons in the vicinity. There is no pond there now. Formerly known as Possum Trot School because there used to be many opposums there. (Mrs. Edward Shelton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Pin Oak Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River in Boulware Township. Doubtless named for the tree which is common there.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Price's Creek
Description:In Bourbois Township. Rises in Pulaski County and empties into a tributary of Watson's Fork. Named for the Price family in that section. (MAP 1913; Tom Bowen)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Red Bird
Description:A post office in Bourbois Township, established in 1883 and given that name by E.R. Bowen (grandson of Colonel Isaiah Bowen), the first postmaster, because he thought it would be easy to spell and remember, and because there were many red birds in the woods there. (Postal Guide 1886f; Eaton, 169; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 621, 622; Tom Bowen)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Red Oak Creek
Description:In Canaan Township. A tributary of Soap Creek. Named for the many red oaks along its banks. (Mrs. Edward Shelton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Red Oak Methodist Church
Description:In eastern Canaan Township. Named for Red Oak Creek (q.v.) on which it is located. (Mrs. Edward Shelton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Richland Township
Description:The northwest township, organized on July 20, 1846. Doubtless named for the character of the land much of which is rich creek-bottom and river-bottom land. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 628)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ritter
Description:A railroad loading-point on the farm of D.M. Ritter was named for him. (George W. Kime)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ritter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Riviere au Berger
Description:See Big Berger Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Riviere au Boeuf
Description:See Boeuf Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Riviere aux Frenes
Description:See Frene Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Roark Township
Description:The northeast township organized July 7, 1834. The Roark family was among the first to settle here. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 627)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Robberson Prairie
Description:Robberson Prairie was named for Elizabeth Robberson, who, with her seven sons and seven daughters, came from Tennessee in 1834 and settled on this prairie. (Holcombe (13), p. 207)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rosebud
Description:A village post office in east Canaan Township. It was first known as Snider's Store for the owner of the store. Later the name was changed to Bourbois after the Bourbeuse River (which is often spelled Bourbois). Bourbois was about a mile from the present site of Rosebud. The name was changed from Bourbois because the mail was frequently missent to Bourbon. The orign of the name could not be discovered. (Postal Guide 1870f; Campbell, 210; MAPS 1873f; Collier)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Ruwwe School
Description:In eastern Brush Creek Township. Named for the Ruwwee family. (Mrs. Edward Shelton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Salem Baptist Church
Description:In southern Canaan Township. Salem is an ancient name for Jerusalem. (Mrs. Edward Shelton; BIBLE DICT.)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Second Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River in Boulware Township. So named because it is the second largest creek in Gasconade County up the river from its mouth. (Geo. Schneider)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Shockley's Bluff
Description:See Mount Sterling.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Skaggs Township
Description:Organized on January 21, 1822 from the eastern part of Boon Township. Benjamin Skaggs was a farmer in 1822. It no longer exists. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 626, 627)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Smith's Creek
Description:A discontinued post office. Later in Osage County. See Smith's Creek (Osage). (Postal Guide 1837; MAP 1845)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Snider's Store
Description:See Rosebud.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Soap Creek
Description:In Canaan Township. A tributary of Red Oak Creek. So named for the flint clay which dissolves in its water and gives it a gray, soapy appearance. (MAP 1913; Geo. Schneider)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. James Evangelical Church
Description:In southern Boeuf Township. Named for St. James, the apostle. (H.H. Lengenberg)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. John's Evangelical Church [1 of 2]
Description:In central Boulware Township. Organized in 1855. Named for St. John, the apostle. (H.F. Waldecker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. John's Evangelical Church [2 of 2]
Description:In central Brush Creek Township. Named for St. John, the apostle. (Mrs. Edward Shelton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. John's Lutheran Church
Description:In southern Boeuf Township. Named for St. John, the apostle. (H.H. Lengenberg)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:St. Paul's Evangelical Church
Description:In central Third Creek Township near Old Woollam. Named for St. Paul, the apostle. (J.C. Price)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Starky's Bluff
Description:See Mount Sterling.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stoenner School
Description:In eastern Boulware Township. Named for the Stoenner family. (H.F. Waldecker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stolpe
Description:A discontinued post office in central Richland Township on the Gasconade River. Named for Stolpe, or Stolp, a town in Pomerania, Germany, from which place the settlers in this neighborhood came. (MAPS 1904, 1913, 1936; Postal Guide 1887-1901; G.H. Caughell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Stony Hill
Description:A post office in eastern Boeuf Township. Named from the fact that the hillside where the post office was first situated was covered with stones. (Postal Guide 1870f; MAPS 1873f; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 685)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sugar Camp Creek
Description:See Sugar Creek.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sugar Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River in Boulware Township. So called for the many sugar maple trees along its banks. Also known as Sugar Camp Creek because there used to be a sugar camp on it. (Geo. Schneider)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Sulphur Springs Branch
Description:A small tributary of Crider Creek in Third Creek Township. So called because it is fed by a sulphur spring. (W.F. Strehlman)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Swiss
Description:A post office in northwestern Boeuf Township. So named because most of the inhabitants are from Switzerland. (Postal Guide 1876f; MAPS 1880f; HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 684; G.H. Caughell)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tacket Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River. In 1818 Philip Tacket entered a tract of land on the Gasconade River and became the first real estate owner in the county. (Conard, III, 5)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tayloe School
Description:In central Brush Creek Township. Named for Dave Tayloe. (Mrs. Edward Shelton; Louis Landwehr)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tea [1 of 2]
Description:A place where the Washington Library Records locate on the Bourbeuse River but do not otherwise identify. (Washington Library Records)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Tea [2 of 2]
Description:A discontinued post office. It was first known as Baur for C.K. Baur, first postmaster and blacksmith. Baur sold his property to Mr. Schaefferkoetter who built a store. Later the store was located at the present site of Tea. It is said that when customers wanted whiskey, they would call for tea, and the place came to be called Tea. Located in southern Canaan Township. (Postal Guide 1891-1921; Collier; MAPS 1904-1922; Mrs. Edw. Shelton)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Third Creek
Description:A tributary of the Gasconade River in Third Creek Township. So named because it is the third largest creek in the county up the river from its mouth. (George Schneider)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Third Creek Baptist Church
Description:See Bethel Baptist Church.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Third Creek Township
Description:One of the four townships organized in 1841 after Osage County was created from Gasconade County. It takes its name from the creek which heads in it. (HIST. FRANKLIN etc., 628)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:A tributary of Second Creek in Boulware Township. So named from the wild turkeys which were once numerous here. (Geo. Schneider)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Vieman
Description:An abandoned village located near the center of Bourbois Township. It was named for the proprietor of the store. (Wm. Collier)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wallace Creek
Description:A tributary of Dry Fork in Bourbois Township. Named for an early family who lived on it. (O.F. Scheel)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Watson's Fork
Description:Joins Dry Fork to form the Bourbese River in Brush Creek Township. Named for the Watson family in that section. (Tom Bowen)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Wiseman School
Description:In central Canaan Township. Named for the Wiseman family. (J.C. Price)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Woollam
Description:A discontinued post office in southeast Third Creek Township on Cedar Fork. Named for a person named Wollam who established a post office and owned a store sometime before 1860. Others say he was a journeyman tailor. This was the site of the old town. The store and post office were later moved to another site and retained the post office name. When speaking of the two sites, the people of the neighborhood use the terms Old Wollam and New Woollam. (Postal Guide 1870-1932; MAPS 1865f; Collier; J.C. Price)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Zion Evangelical Church
Description:In central Boulware Township. Organized in 1904. Zion was one of the hills on which Jerusalem was built. (BIBLE DICT., H.F. Waldecker)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Zoar
Description:See Manda.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Zoar Methodist Church
Description:In Third Creek Township. Zoar was the place to which Lot and his daughters escaped and which was spared when Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed, because of its littleness (GEN. xix. 22). The name means little. Also known as New Wollam Methodist Church for the village of New Woollam (q.v.) at which it is located. (J.C. Price; BIBLE DICT.)
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Zoar Presbyterian Church
Description:In eastern Third Creek Township. Cf. Zoar Methodist Church.
Source:Weber, Frank. "Place Names Of Six South Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names