Douglas County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Anchor School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ann
Description:A post office established in 1899 and discontinued in 1923; named for the daughter of the first postmaster. (W.F. Reynolds; J.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arden
Description:A post office established by Cebry Newton in 1887 and discontinued in 1923. The beautiful country reminded Mr. Newton of Shakespeare's Forest of Arden in AS YOU LIKE IT. (J.C. Garrison; W.F. Reynolds; Ed. Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arden School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arno School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ascott
Description:A post office established in 1892 and named after the first postmaster; it was discontinued in 1896. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ava (Earlier Militia Springs)
Description:The county seat of Douglas County was named and laid out in 1871 by James Hailey, one of the commissioners appointed for that purpose. He named it Ava from a verse in the Bible (2nd Kings 17:24). In the Hebrew, Ava is said to mean "overthrowing." It may be that Mr. Hailey intended a humorous reference to Ava's "overthrowing" its rival aspirant for the county seat. The story is that the three commissioners, appointed only to lay out the town, one night stole the county records from Vera Cruz, then the courthouse, and brought them to Ava and established the county seat there. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ava School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Banner School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bar Branch
Description:A small creek near Bakersfield which takes its name from the fact that its bed is so rough and rugged. (J.C. Garrison; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barren Prairie (also California Prairie)
Description:A prairie called Barren because of the lack of trees when it was named (about 1860); only prairie grass grew there. (J.C. Garrison; Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Basher
Description:A post office established in 1909 by Henry Huffman, and named for the man, Harve Bash, who owned the land upon which the post office stood. It was discontinued in 1912. (T.A. Kay; C.P. Ellison)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beaver School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bertha
Description:A post office established in 1904-1909 and named after Bertha Hawkins, daughter of the first postmaster. (W.F. Reynolds; Ed. Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bertha School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Beaver
Description:A post office, originally included in Taney County. The place was first settled by L. Wright in 1860, and takes its name from Big Beaver Creek (q.v.). (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Hollow
Description:A hollow called Big Hollow because of its size by early hunters. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Springs School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Biggs
Description:A post office, established in 1894 and discontinued in 1920; named after Monroe Biggs, a sawmill man. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bill Mac Creek
Description:A creek named for an early hunter, Bill Mac, who lived and trapped on its banks the first part of the 19th century. (H.S. Wilson; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Black Jack School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Black Oak School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Breeden School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brown Cave
Description:A cave named for a family of Browns, early settlers in the county. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brushy Knob [1 of 2]
Description:A post office established in 1903, and named for the schoolhouse that was first there. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brushy Knob [2 of 2]
Description:A knob which derives its name from the rank growth of brush upon its summit. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brushy Knob School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bryant
Description:The post office was established in 1889, but the district had been known as Bryant long before that. Moses C. Miller settled on Bryant River and had a water mill in 1856. It takes its name from the river. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bryant River
Description:A small river or creek named for a hunter and trapper by the name of Bryant, who settled on the river about 1830. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buckhardt School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Buckhart
Description:A post office established between 1878 and 1886 and named by J.E. Baker for a big buck deer killed there. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cable School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:California Prairie (also Barren Prairie)
Description:A prairie on which Ava is now situated; named California Prairie by an early traveler who was on his way to California. (W.F. Reynolds; J.C. Garrison)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cane Hollow
Description:A hollow named after the pipe stem cane which grew there. By whom or when it was named it is impossible to say, but it has been known as Cane Hollow since the early part of the 19th century. (T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Casto Creek
Description:Named for a family of Castos that lived on its banks in the early days of the county. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Casto School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Champion School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cheney
Description:A post office established in 1899 by a Mr. Reed and named after A.B. Cheney, an old settler in the county. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clever Creek
Description:A creek, which traces its source to the town of Clever in Christian County, and is named for the town. (John Rogers; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clifty Creek
Description:A creek which derives its name from the many bluffs and cliffs which overhang it. (J.E. Curry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clifty Hall School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cold Spring
Description:A post office found in the Postal Guide as early as 1878; named for a spring in the vicinity. (W.F. Reynolds; C.P. Ellison)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cold Spring School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cowskin River (also Elk River)
Description:A tributary of Beaver Creek which was named during the early part of the 19th century. The story goes that an early settler had a large herd of cattle grazing on the banks of the creek. They contracted a disease and thirty or forty of them died. He skinned them and laid the skins on the bank to dry. Since this incident it has been called Cowskin. (1) However, Sturges tells us that the river was christened by a Catholic priest when a buffalo cow was killed there, and the skin made into a robe. The name was retained until recent years. (2) (1. T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds; 2. R (Sturges) (20), p. 9)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Craigmore
Description:A post office established in 1900 and discontinued in 1901; named for the Craigmore family who owned the land upon which the post office was established. (J.W. Johnson)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cross Roads
Description:A post office established in 1907 on the cross roads, hence its name. (T.A. Kay; Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cross Roads School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dark Hollow
Description:A dry but dark and shady hollow; so named by early settlers for that reason. (H.S. Wilson)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Denlow (earlier Upshaw)
Description:A post office on Fox Creek, established in 1896 and discontinued in 1916. (H.S. Wilson; Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Denshaw School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Depew
Description:A post office established in 1901, and named for Senator Depew (1834-1928), prominent politician. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Diamond School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dickey
Description:A post office on the banks of Dickey Creek (q.v.) which takes its name from the creek. It was established in 1904-1909 and discontinued in 1913. (T.A. Kay; J.W. Johnson)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dickey Creek
Description:A creek which is named for the Dickey family, early pioneers who settled on its banks. (J.W. Johnson; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dogwood
Description:A post office established in 1903 and named for the dogwood trees surrounding the office. (J. Pettit)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dogwood School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Douglas County
Description:Organized October 19, 185, from portions of Taney and Webster Counties and named for Stephen A. Douglas (1813-1861), senator from Illinois (1847-1861), and nominated for the Presidency in 1860. In 1857 Douglas was at the height of his power and popularity. (Eaton (46) V, p. 43; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Drury
Description:A post office established in 1894 and named for the Drury family. (T.A. Kay; Postal Guide)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dug Hill
Description:A hill on the Old Salt Road that was so steep that it was necessary to dig it out, hence the name Dug Hill. (T.A. Kay; Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River (also Cowskin)
Description:The name of the river was said to have been changed from Cowskin to Elk by the legislature at the request of a local man, Steve Elkins, when he was representative. (1) However, several old settlers declare that it was named for the elks which roamed there. The creek still goes by both names. (2) (1. (R); 2. W.F. Reynolds; Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River (also Cowskin)
Description:The name of the river was said to have been changed from Cowskin to Elk by the legislature at the request of a local man, Steve Elkins, when he was a representative. (1) However, several old settlers declare that it was named for the elks which roamed there. The creek still goes by both names. (2) (1. (R); 2. W.F. Reynolds, Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River (also Cowskin)
Description:The name of the river was said to have been changed from Cowskin to Elk by the legislature at the request of a local man, Steve Elkins, when he was representative. (1) However, several old settlers declare that it was named for the elks which roamed there. The creek still goes by both names. (2) (1. (R); 2. W.F. Reynolds; Ed Dobbs) [August 30, 1990. Returned by geography student. Could not document name of Elk River. Barry and McDonald touch, but Douglas is several counties away?]
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elliott School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Endeavor School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Excelsior School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fair View School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Falling Springs
Description:A post office found in the Missouri State Gazetteer as early as 1860 but not shown in the Postal Guide until 1891. It evidently takes its name from the spring near there; it was named by E.G. Chamberlain. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fern Glen School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fielden
Description:A post office established in 1894 and discontinued in 1906-1910. It was named by John H. Smith, who had one of the first sawmills in the country. He is said to have named his mill Fielden because it was one of the few fields which had been cleared at this time. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Filer
Description:A post office, discontinued in 1911, was established and named for the Filer family. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flat Rock School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flint Point School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Florilla
Description:A post office on Big North Fork at old Judge Johnson's place. It was named for one of his daughters. (T.A. Kay; J.W. Johnson)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Free Port School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fry School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gentry School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Girdner
Description:A post office established in 1887 and named after "Doc" Girdner, an old settler. (W.F. Reynolds; J.C. Garrison)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goodhope
Description:A post office, established in 1895 and discontinued in 1923; named by J.H. Johnson. (J.W. Johnson; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goodhope School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Granada
Description:A post office, established in 1895 and discontinued in 1920; named by C.P. Anderson after the Spanish Granada. (W.F. Reynolds; J.T. Hall)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Granada School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Green Valley School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hall School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Halt School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hebron
Description:The post office established in 1904-1910 was named for the Biblical Hebron; there was a church organization there first. (Bill Mastron)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hell Hole Hollow
Description:A very rough and rugged hollow aptly named Hell Hole Hollow by early settlers. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Flat School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Hollow
Description:A hollow which derived its name from the many hickory trees that grew in the hollow during early days. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hicks School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:High Lonesome School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hilo [formerly Silverton]
Description:A post office established by John Patterson in 1908 and discontinued in 1924; named by C.L. Holland, possibly for the important city of that name in Hawaii. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Homestead School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Honey Creek
Description:A creek so named by early settlers because of the many wild bee trees on its bank and the abundance of honey obtained from these trees. (T.A. Kay; Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hooten Hollow
Description:Named in the pioneer days of the county by early hunters and trappers from the hoot-owls which inhabited the hollow. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Huckleberry School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Huffman School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hunter Creek
Description:A creek so named by early trappers and hunters because of the abundance of game found on its banks. (H.S. Wilson; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hunter School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Idumea
Description:A post office, established in 1892 and discontinued in 1912. James Campbell, the first postmaster, named it from the Bible land of Edom or Idumea (Isaiah 34:5; Ezek. 36:5; Mark 3:8). (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jackson's Mill
Description:An old mill eight miles southwest of Ava; one of the most interesting mills in the Ozarks. It is said to have been built in 1835 and named for its owner, a Mr. Jackson. (W.F. Reynolds; J.E. Currey)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:John's Mill
Description:A post office established in 1892 and named by a Mr. Johns who had a mill there. (T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kip
Description:A post office, established in 1892 and discontinued in 1896. No seems to know why or by whom it was named; however there was a man in the vicinity whose nickname was Kip. (J.T. Hall)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Koll School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lakey School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Larissa
Description:A post office, established in 1889 and discontinued in 1920; named for the wife of the first postmaster, a Mr. Andrews. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lexea
Description:A post office, established in 1894 and discontinued in 1895. By whom it was named or why it is impossible to discover. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Beaver
Description:A post office established about 1860 and named for Little Beaver Creek (q.v.), on which it was situated, by C.C. Walker. It was discontinued in 1913. (T.A. Kay; Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Beaver Creek
Description:The smaller branch of Beaver Creek (q.v.). (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Creek
Description:A small stream which takes its name from its size. It has been known as Little Creek since early pioneer days. (W.F. Reynolds; Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Zion School
Description:A name taken from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loftin
Description:A post office, established in 1899 and discontinued in 1900; named after the Jerry Loftin family. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loftin School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Longrun Creek
Description:A creek so named because of its length; it has been known as Longrun as long as anyone can remember. (C.C. Cropper; J.C. Harlin)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mainard
Description:A post office, established in 1903 and discontinued in 1919 (?); named for the first postmaster. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Merrit
Description:A post office established in 1903 and named after William Merrit, the first postmaster. (W.F. Reynolds; H.S. Wilson)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Militia Springs (later Ava)
Description:During the Civil War the state Militia of the Union army camped around the spring, and it was known as Militia Springs until the name was changed to Ava (q.v.). (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mill Hollow
Description:A hollow in which, in 1835, there was an old water mill; it has long since been torn down but the hollow remains Mill Hollow. (J.C. Garrison)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mint Springs School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mound School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Nebo
Description:A high mountain named after the mountain in Mosh, where Moses beheld the promised land (Deut. 34:1). (T.A. Kay; Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Side School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Ararat School
Description:A transferred name from a church, hollow, prairie, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Nebo School
Description:A transferred name from a church, hollow, prairies, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Tabor
Description:A church, situated on a high ridge of the mountain; probably named for the Bible mountain (Judges 4:6). (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Tabor School
Description:A transferred name from a church, hollow, prairie, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Aelyn School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Jail School
Description:A humorous name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nubbin Ridge
Description:A section in which the land is so poor it will only grow little corn, or "nubbins." Therefore it has been nicknamed Nubbin Ridge. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nubbin Ridge School [1 of 2]
Description:A humorous name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nubbin Ridge School [2 of 2]
Description:Named for the section. (T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Olathe
Description:A post office established in 1895 and discontinued 1904-1910. It was named by J.O. Miller, perhaps for Olathe, Kansas. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Olga
Description:A post office established in 1910 and discontinued in 1919; named by George Luther, the first postmaster, for either his wife or his daughter. (J.C. Garrison)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Olive Springs (later Sweden)
Description:Springs located where the post office Sweden (q.v.) is now situated, and discovered by Oliver Williams. He declared the springs to be of medicinal value and named them Olive Springs, possibly with a partial reference to his own name. (W.F. Reynolds; J.T. Hall)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Omba
Description:A post office, established in 1893 and discontinued in 1920, which was named by a Mr. Smallwood, the first postmaster. He is said to have coined the word because he wanted an unusual and a short name. (T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pansy
Description:A post office established in 1899 by Colonel Huffman and named after his daughter. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Panther Den Hollow
Description:About the middle of the 19th century several panthers were killed in the hollow; therefore, it was called Panther Den. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Park School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Patterson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Peavine School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Phlegeton
Description:A post office, established in 1888 and discontinued in 1920. (H.S. Wilson)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Flat School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Ridge School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Green School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Hope School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pole Pen School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Potter Hollow
Description:A hollow named for a family of Potters, early settlers in Douglas County. (H.S. Wilson)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Creek
Description:A small creek running through Ava, which took its name from the fact that in the early days of the county there were few trees in this section. The land around Ava was in reality a prairie. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Hollow
Description:A hollow, not on Prairie Creek, but so named because of its barren appearance and the lack of trees. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prior
Description:A post office established in 1894 by Tom Sherril and named for a neighbor. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Redbank
Description:A post office, established in 1892 and discontinued in 1897; named by William Rhodes because of its position on a red bank along the old Salt Road (q.v.). (W.F. Reynolds; J.C. Garrison)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Richville
Description:A post office found in the Postal Guide as early as 1878 and named for a family of Riches who lived in that community. (T.A. Kay; Postal Guide)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rippee
Description:A post office, established in 1893 by Matt Brown; named after the Rippee family, prominent people of the county. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rippee's Bald Knob
Description:Zeke Eslich, a pioneer settler on the head of Beaver Creek said that the bald hill took its name from Elisha Rippy, who lived near it in an early day. (Turnbo's spelling is no longer used). (Turnbo (34), p. 92)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Robertson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock House Hollow
Description:During the days of early settlement in the country, a man came in from the East and built a "rock house" in this hollow. Stone houses were few and a great curiosity at this time; hence the name. (T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock House School
Description:A transferred name from a hollow.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rockbridge
Description:A district so called by early hunters because of the bridges of rocks in the stream. (T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rome
Description:A post office established before the Civil War and named by Frank Richards after Rome, Italy. (T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roosevelt
Description:A post office established in 1906 and named for Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1918), President of the United States (1901-1909). (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Round Top School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Round Valley School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roy
Description:A post office and store established in 1890 and named for Lafe Roy, the first postmaster, who owned the store. (T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roy School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt Road
Description:An old road from Springfield to Jackson Port, Arkansas, over which traders used to haul merchandise. Salt was one of the most necessary commodities, and the most frequently hauled, so it was called the old Salt Road. (T.A. Kay; Chas Green)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt Road Post Office (later Smallett)
Description:An early post office, long since discontinued, named for the old Salt Road (q.v.) on which it was situated. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sandy
Description:A post office established in 1890 and discontinued in 1891; named because of its situation on a big sandy ridge. (T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sandy School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shady Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shilo Church
Description:A church which takes its name from the famous Messianic prophecy (in Gen. 49:10). Properly, of course, it should have been spelled Shiloh. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shilo School
Description:A transferred name from a church, hollow, prairie, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Silver Shade School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Silverton (later Hilo)
Description:A post office established in 1890 and later discontinued. It was named by John Patterson. The name was changed to Hilo (q.v.) about 1900. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay) [1893-1894 Gazetteer says formerly known as Heth Walls Township. Fifteen miles southwest of Ava.]
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Skylight School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smallett (earlier Salt Road Post Office)
Description:A post office whose name is formed from the name of its first postmaster, James Small. (1) However, Mr. T.A. Kay, says that Jimmie Gray was the first postmaster. It may be that Gray named it for someone else by the name of Small. (2) (1. Eaton (46) II, p. 165; 2. T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Squires
Description:A post office established in 1889, and named for John Squires, an Englishman who had a store and the post office. (W.F. Reynolds; J.E. Curry)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:St. James School
Description:A transferred name from a church, hollow, prairie, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stony Point School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sweden (earlier Olive Springs)
Description:The post office was established in 1899 and by mistake it was named Sweden. The people of the community intended to name the post office after an old settler named Sweten, but they spelled it wrong and so it was called Sweden. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sweten Hollow
Description:A hollow named after an old settler, Sweten, who lived there during the early days of settlement. Cf. Sweden (the correct spelling of the name has been kept for the hollow). (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tarbutton Creek
Description:A creek named for the Tarbutton family, early pioneers, who settled on its bank during the early part of the 19th century. (T.A. Kay; J.E. Currey)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tedrick
Description:A post office established in 1899 by William Giles, and named after a Mr. Tedrick who ran a sawmill in the community. (W.F. Reynolds; J.E. Currey)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tigris
Description:A post office, established in 1921 and named by John Allen, the first postmaster, for the river in Mesopotamia. (C. Ellison; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Topaz
Description:A post office established in 1894 by Bart Hutchinson who selected the name from a list of other post offices; probably named for the California or Texas town of that name. (W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turkey Flat School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Upshaw
Description:A post office established in 1893 and named after Uncle Surre Upshaw, the first postmaster. It was discontinued in 1894. (T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vale
Description:A post office, established in 1891 and discontinued in 1893; it takes its name from its situation in a valley. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vanzant
Description:A post office established in 1894 and named for a Mr. Vanzant who lived in the community. (J.E. Currey; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vanzant School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vera Cruz
Description:The town was established before the Civil War, probably during the time of the Mexican War (1846-1849). It took its name from the city of Vera Cruz in Mexico. (T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vera Cruz School
Description:A transferred name from towns, townships, post offices, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Victory School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wagner School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Liberty School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White's Creek
Description:A creek named for an early settler, White, who, with his family, lived on its banks. (T.A. Kay; J. Pettit)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Willow Spring School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Witty
Description:A post office, established in 1893 and discontinued in 1924; named after "old man Witty," the first postmaster. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wood
Description:A post office established in 1907 and discontinued between 1910-1915. It was named after a man by the name of Wood who lived in the township. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Zonker
Description:A post office established in 1894 and discontinued in 1896; named for the Yonker family, who had the first post office. (W.F. Reynolds; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names