DeKalb County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adams Township
Description:All of the townships in De Kalb County were given names in honor of our national leaders, excepting Grand River and Camden. This township, which was organized in 1870, perhaps derived its name from John Adams, the second president of the United States, or John Quincy Adams, who became president in 1825. Like other townships in Harrison County, Hamilton, Jefferson, Lincoln, Madison and Washington (q.v.), this name was evidently derived from one of the two former presidents mentioned in the preceding paragraph. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Amity
Description:Laid out in 1870, this town bears a name from the Latin word meaning "good will" or "friendship." (MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 71)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Arica
Description:A country post office established about 1898. It bears the same name as the seaport of Chile which was the scene of a severe earthquake in 1868. Nothing was found as to the reason for giving this name. (Campbell, p. 192; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 879)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Baker School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bayfield
Description:Located on the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific Railway about 1880. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 146)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bays Branch
Description:Nothing was found on the origin of this name. (Cited ATLAS DE KALB, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bower School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Boxford
Description:A country post office was established at the home of Joshua Findley in the early 1850s. Findley sent the name Oxford to the post office department at Washington but there was already an Oxford in Worth County and the officials returned the name as Boxford. A local resident writes: "I have wondered why they wanted it called Oxford, since I doubt if Mr. Findley ever heard of Oxford, England. I have come to the conclusion that, as only a small part of the country was fenced at that time, the cattle made a ford across the creek, going from the bottom on this side over to the prairie on the other side, hence Ox-ford." If this conjecture is correct, Mr. Findley merely duplicated the method and motives by which the British Oxford was named. When Mr. Findley left Boxford to do his part in the Civil War the post office and village became known as Galveston (q.v.). (Margaret K. Bailey in CLARKSDALE JOURNAL, Sept. 13, 1917, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bray School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brushy Creek
Description:A name descriptive of the land along the banks of the stream was given to creeks in four counties. Sub-branches of the stream in Daviess County are called East and West Brushy, according to their position to the main stream. (HIST. DAVIESS, p. 647; ATLAS OF DAVIESS, 1898; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; SOME PIONEER HISTORY; HIST. CALDWELL & LIVINGSTON, p. 550; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 276)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bucklin
Description:Like Summerville, the town of Bucklin had no existence except on paper. (ATLAS DE KALB, p. 10)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Butler Creek
Description:This is doubtless a family name. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Camden Township
Description:Camden was among the first townships organized by the first court of 1845. Doubtless it derives its name from Camden, South Carolina, where Baron De Kalb, from whom the county was named, was killed in 1780. (Davis & Durrie, p. 360; ATLAS DE KALB, 1877; Conard, Vol. 1, p. 253)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Carrel School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clarks
Description:This is a station on the Chicago, Rock Island Railroad. It was located about 1880. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 266; ATLAS DE KALB, 1897)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clarksdale
Description:In 1885, with the coming of the railroad, the town of Clarksdale was laid out on land owned by John F. Clark, who at one time was County Clerk. Several members of another Clark family emigrated to Missouri, and settled in the newly established village. Hence, the town is well named. (L.L. Chappells (letter); CLARKSDALE JOURNAL July 20, 1922, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clover Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Colfax Township
Description:In both Daviess and De Kalb Counties, a township was organized in 1870 and named Colfax. Schuyler Colfax was Vice President of the United States in 1869-1873. (ATLAS OF DAVIESS, 1876, p. 12; HIST. DAVIESS, p. 689-9; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crab Orchard School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crabill School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crooked Creek
Description:Evidently descriptive as the stream is shown on maps to be very winding. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dallas Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dallas Township
Description:Organized in 1845 in De Kalb and Harrison Counties, and doubtless named in honor of George M. Dallas who was Vice President of the United States at that time. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dayton City
Description:The Gazetteer shows that this is the name of the town in which the post office called Haydenville (q.v.) was located. William L. Dayton ran for the office of Vice President on Fremont's ticket in 1856. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 431)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:De Harte Siding
Description:This is merely a railroad station. It perhaps is derived from a family name in the county. In 1876 Martin De Harte was postmaster at Greenleaf, a short distance from this station. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1897; 1877; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876, p. 7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:De Kalb County
Description:When Missouri was admitted to the union, the present counties north of the Missouri River were included in Ray County. In 1822 Clay County was organized, and included the present county of De Kalb. In 1833 the county was again annexed to Clinton for civil and military purposes, and it was not until 1845 that De Kalb was made a separate and distinct county. It was named in honor of Baron John De Kalb, "a Frenchman of Revolutionary fame, who was killed in the battle of Camden in 1780." (Eaton, p. 284; HIST. HARRISON, p. 119; SESSION LAWS, 1844-5, p. 40; ATLAS DE KALB, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dean School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dice
Description:A railroad station. Probably the name was derived from the Dice family name. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1897)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Doodleville
Description:An attempt was made by George Tetherow to start a town known as Doodleville, named in honor of Doodle Evans, a noted distiller, and one of the founders of the place. After Tetherowtown (q.v.) began to flourish Doodleville business houses moved there.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Duquoin Branch
Description:Nothing was found on the origin of this name. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Edgar
Description:This country post office had only a transient existence. It was established and discontinued between the years 1876-1879. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1879, p. 225)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ellsworth School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Evans Branch
Description:Atlases show that Evans was a common name in De Kalb County. The stream perhaps takes its name from early settlers. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877; 1897)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairmont School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairport
Description:A small village in Grant Township. "It is beautifully located, on an eminence in the midst of a fertile and prosperous farming district." The name is evidently descriptive. (Conard, Vol. 1, p. 411)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairport School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fisher School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fishing River Township
Description:Organized in 1821 as a part of Ray County, this township included territory now belonging to six counties. The name was derived from Fishing River. (HIST. OF RAY, p. 241-2)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fordham
Description:A small village, "named for the Reverend Mr. Ford, Pastor of the Englewood Baptist Church of Chicago, of which church Mr. W.G. Brinnon, was . . . a member." The exact date and circumstances of naming the town have not been obtained but it must have been shortly after 1881, when the railroad was built. (Names File, No. 7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Frost School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Galveston
Description:After Joshua Findley abandoned the post office and store at Boxford (q.v.), a Mr. Lockhart went into business there and the village then became known as Galveston, "because Lockhart talked too much about Galveston." (CLARKSDALE JOURNAL, Sept. 13, 1917, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Garden Prairie School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Glenwood School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grand River Township
Description:A township named for the Grand River was established in Caldwell County, in November, 1869; in Clinton, 1834; in Daviess, 1837; and in De Kalb, 1845. In Caldwell County, the name was changed to New York Township (q.v.) and in Clinton County, the Grand River Township's boundaries have been changed until finally a new name was given to all the townships formed from the division of it. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 456; HIST. OF DAV., p. 238; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 106; Davis & Durrie, p. 360; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; Atlas of De Kalb, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grant Township
Description:Not only was Grant a popular name for towns and post offices, but it was also a general favorite with the county courts which selected the names for townships. Five counties thus honored General Grant; one county, Harrison, gave the name in 1845, in honor of a prominent family of the county. In May, 1870, Caldwell County Court divided Blythe Township and named the new township Grant. In 1866, Jackson Township, Daviess County, was divided, forming Grant, but four years later the name was changed to Jamesport. In the same year the name was rejected in Daviess County, DeKalb organized a township and named it Grant. In Nodaway County, Washington and White Cloud Townships were reorganized; the new one formed was named in honor of the commander-in-chief of the Union forces. The dates for the organization of the Grant Townships in Nodaway and Holt were not found. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 617; SOME PIONEER HIST. ATLAS OF DAV., p. 12; HIST. OF DAV., p. 305; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn; ATLAS OF HOLT, 1876, p. 23; HIST. OF NOD., p. 159)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Greenleaf
Description:A post office established about 1876 and discontinued before 1889. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1876, p. 399; 1899, p. 404)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grindstone Creek
Description:Named for a grindstone quarry which was opened in early days on the banks of this stream. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877, p. 6)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harris School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Haydenville
Description:A post office located at Dayton City (q.v.). The post office was originated and discontinued between the years 1879 and 1889. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1879, p. 398; 1889, p. 431)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hazel Dale School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hebron School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hedge School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hensel School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Highland School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Irving's Branch
Description:Named for a family in that locality. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1897)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Irwin School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Johnsonville
Description:A village located on land owned by Mary Johnson. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1897, p. 15)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jordan Creek
Description:Jordan Creek may have been named for the river in Palestine. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ketchem School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Limestone School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Locust
Description:This small settlement may have derived its name from that species of tree called Locust. (Map of 1871; IMMIGRATION REPORTS 1865- 1883)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Oak School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lost Creek
Description:A popular story has it that this stream was named about 1824 when three soldiers became lost in a snow storm in the vicinity of the creek. It is said to be the oldest historical name in the county. East Lost Creek, Middle Fork and North, South and West Branches derived their names from relative position to the main stream. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877, p. 5, 6, 19; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 252; HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 465)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Maysville
Description:The County Seat Commissioners, Henry Brown, Peter Price, Martin M. Nah, of Andrew, Daviess and Clinton Counties, respectively, selected the town site of Maysville in 1845. It was surveyed and platted by G.W. McPherson. Possibly the town was named for Maysville, Kentucky, but a county atlas states that those taking part in the founding of the county seat were from East Tennessee. (HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 466; Eaton, p. 284; ATLAS DE KALB)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McCartney School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McCartney's Cross Roads
Description:A country post office. The land surrounding the hamlet was owned by members of the McCartney family.The store and post office were located at a crossroads. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877, p. 31)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Morgan's Branch
Description:This stream originated on the farm of William Morgan. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877, p. 33; 1897, p. 4)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Gilead School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Hope
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Muddy Creek
Description:The name Muddy, when given to a stream, testifies as to the character of the waters of the creek. (ATLAS DAVIESS, 1876; ATLAS DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303; John Ewing)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New Harvard School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak
Description:A country post office, probably descriptive. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-1899, p. 879)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak Grove School (3)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak Ridge School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oberg School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ogle School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Orchid
Description:Established between the years 1879 and 1889. Perhaps the name was derived from the flower, orchid. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1897; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 904)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Orchid School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Osborn
Description:Named for William Osborn, of Waterville, New York, contractor for the railroad company. Henry Baker, division engineer of the western division of the railroad which built its lines through Osborn in 1858, laid out the town. (Eaton, p. 284; ATLAS DE KALB, 1877, p. 10) "During this year (1858) the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad was building through the county, and Henry Baker, who was Division Engineer of the Western division, William Osborn, managing partner in the firm of John Duff and Company, contractors, together with the railroad, which owned a portion of the land, laid out the town of Osborn, and Mr. Baker moved his office there, which was the first house on the town site." Eaton, p. 284. "Osborn laid out by the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, and named for Colonel William Osborn, of Waterville, New York."
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Owen's Creek
Description:Probably named for a family living nearby. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877; 1897)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Peach Creek
Description:Doubtless named for the common fruit tree.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pence School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Polk Township
Description:Three townships were organized in 1845, in Atchison, DeKalb and Nodaway Counties. At that time James K. Polk was President of the United States. (HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 628; 848; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, pp. 308- 12)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rea
Description:Rea, Andrew County, was established in 1888 and first called Craig (q.v.). The present name was derived from Judge Joseph Rea on whose farm the town was built. A post office in De Kalb County was established about 1880 in Sherman Township. Perhaps named for a local citizen. (Names File, No. 20; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 966-7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Red Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ritche School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Roberts School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rogers School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Round Top School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sandy Hook
Description:A creek which empties into Lost Creek. Evidently the name is descriptive. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Santa Rosa
Description:Located in Dallas Township and in existence in 1876. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877, 1897; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876, p. 786)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Santa Rosa School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sharp School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shepherd School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sherman Township
Description:Organized in 1870 and evidently named for General William T. Sherman. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Smith School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Spring Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Standard
Description:A small settlement in existence in 1876-1877. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Stewartsville
Description:Laid out in 1854 by George Tetherow and first called Tethertown (q.v.). The present name was given in honor of Robert M. Stewart, one of the prime leaders in building the Hannibal, St. Joseph Railroad, and in 1857 elected governor of the state. (PLATTSBURG LEADER, Jan. 18, 1918, p. 8; Eaton, p. 283; ATLAS DE KALB, 1877, p. 10; Gannett, p. 291)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Summerville
Description:Two towns in De Kalb County, Bucklin (q.v.) and Summerville, were laid out because of the railroad, but neither had any existence except on paper. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877, p. 10)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Summit School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sunnyside School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Surprise School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Taylor Mill School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tetherowtown
Description:Tetherowtown, now called Stewartsville (q.v.), was first named for its founder, George Tetherow. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 293-4; PLATTSBURG LEADER, Jan. 18, 1918, p. 8)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Third Fork
Description:A stream, Third Fork, derived its name from its position on the old military post road. West Branch and East Little Third Fork are tributaries. One of the oldest towns in the county was named for the stream on which it was located, Third Fork. The village, which was settled in 1837, was practically all moved to Union Star, when the railroad was built there. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1876, p. 6; Parker, p. 245; UNION STAR HERALD, May 2, 1918, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Thornton School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union Star
Description:De Kalb County was strongly Republican during the years following the Civil War, a fact which probably accounts for the name, Union Star, which was given in 1881. (HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, vol. 1, p. 470)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Universal School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Waldo School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wamsley Creek
Description:This stream borders land owned by H. and J.C. Wamsley. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877, p. 13)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wamsley School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Weatherby
Description:A town was established in 1885 by Dr. L.H. Weatherby, a prominent physician of Maysville. (Eaton, p. 284)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wheeler Branch
Description:Doubtless named for the owner of land along its banks. In 1897 G.F. Wheeler lived near the stream. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1897, p. 3)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White Dove School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Willow Brook School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Winslow
Description:A country post office in Polk Township. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-1877, p. 661)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Woods
Description:J. Wood owned land in the vicinity of the village called Woods. (ATLAS DE KALB, 1877, p. 32; 1897, p. 19)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Woods School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names