Cooper County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Alexander's Branch
Description:The origin of the name was not found. However, it was probably given in honor of an early settler. (Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Baxter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Becker School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bell Air
Description:Bell Air, "a small post village, was firest settled by T.P. Bell in 1848" and in his honor named. It is now extinct. (MISSOURI GAZETTEER & BUSINESS DIRECTORY, p. 17; R.W. Whitlock)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bell Air School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bethlehem School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Billingsville
Description:The origin of the name Billingsville could not be found. The town was plotted February 8, 1860. (Cited on Clark's Map of 1860)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Billingsville School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blackwater
Description:Blackwater was plotted August 17, 1887 and named for the stream. (see Blackwater Creek). (HIST. COOPER, p. 226; Eaton, p. 280)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blackwater Creek
Description:The name is derived from the character of the water and banks. (Eaton, p. 280; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blackwater Township
Description:This township was settled in 1808, by William Christy and John G. Heath. It was named for the creek which forms its western boundary. (q.v. Blackwater Creek). (HIST. COOPER, p. 226; Atlas, p. 52)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blufton School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boone's Lick
Description:Boone's Lick was a section of the country in the Missouri valley now occupied by Howard, Boone, Cooper and Callaway Counties. It had no definite boundaries. It received its name, "Boone's Lick," because the two sons of Daniel Boone, Nathan and Daniel, had come to the country in 1807 and made salt from the water of the salt springs they found in the region. (Johnson, p. 55; Barnes, p. 178; Houck, v. III, p. 148)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boonville
Description:The county seat of Cooper County was settled by the Cole family in 1810. The town was laid out August 1, 1817 and made the county seat the following year. It was named by Judge J.B.C. Lucas in honor of the celebrated Colonel Daniel Boone, the great pioneer and Indian fighter. (HIST. COOPER, p. 218; Barnes, p. 196; Conard, p. 328; Gannett, p. 52)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boonville Township
Description:Stephen and Hanna Cole settled in the township, which "evidently took its name from Boonville," in 1810. (HIST. COOPER, p. 218; ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 51)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brush Branch
Description:Brush Branch was doubtless named for the character of its banks. (Cited on Boonville Sheet of U.S. Geological Survey)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Buffalo Prairie School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bunceton
Description:In 1868 Harvey Bunce laid out the town which bears his name. (HIST. COOPER, p. 279; ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 21; Gannett, p. 60)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Byberry
Description:Mr. William Berry, a prominent stockman and farmer, located the town of Byberry and it was named in his honor. It is not known why the prefix "By" was used. (see pages 47-48). (Eaton, p. 280; R.M. Whitlow; Cited on Higgins Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Byberry School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cave Creek
Description:Cave Creek received its name from a large cave in one of the bluffs nearby. (Dr. Wm. Mittlebach; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chouteau School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chouteau Springs
Description:For a time Chouteau Springs, plotted May 25, 1886, was a popular health resort. It was named for Mr. Pierre Chouteau, of St. Louis, who owned the land on which the springs were located. (R.W. Whitlock; Cited on Higgins Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clark's Fork
Description:A nearby stream gave this country store its name (q.v.). (R.W. Whitlock; Cited in MISSOURI GAZETTEER (1876), p. 144)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clark's Fork Creek
Description:"Very early in the history of the county there came here a man by the name of Clark, who lived on the fork which now bears his name. He became a noted hunter and trapper but resided only a short time in Clark's Fork Township." (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 20)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clark's Fork Township
Description:This township "derived its name from Clark's Fork Creek, which, with its tributaries, drains the township." (q.v.) (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 53; HIST. COOPER, p. 234)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clear Creek
Description:Many years ago Philip Meisenheimer established a store here and named it for the creek located nearby (q.v.). The store is now extinct. (R.W. Whitlock; Cited on MISSOURI STATE GAZETTEER, p. 145)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clear Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a creek.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clear Creek Township
Description:The first settlements were made in this township about 1816. It derived its name from the creek which flows northwest through it (q.v.). (ATLAS CCOPER COUNTY, p. 52)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clifton City
Description:In 1832 George Crammer and James S. Glasgow established a mill here and called it Crammer's Mill. With the coming of the railroad the name was changed to Clifton City in honor of Clifton R. Woods, a prominent farmer in the community. (Eaton, p. 280; R.W. Whitlock) Another source for the origin of the name is given as the cliffs or bluffs on the Lamine River about a mile from the site of the town. This seems less probable than the other origin. (Dr. Wm. Mittelbach)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clifton City School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cold Neck
Description:This name was found on Clark's sectional map of Missouri 1860. No information could be found concerning it.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Concord School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Conner's Mill
Description:Before the Civil War James F. Conner established a mill at this place. Later a post office was added. About 1870 the mill and post office were discontinued. (R.W. Whitlock; Dr. Wm. Mittelbach; Cited in MISSOURI STATE GAZETTEER, p. 153)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cooper County
Description:Cooper County was organized on December 18, 1818, and "named for Sarshell Cooper, who was killed by an Indian in Cooper's Fort opposite Arrow Rock. One wall of Cooper's log cabin formed a part of the wall of the fort. The Indian stealthily, in a rain or snow storm, removed a part of the chinking, and through the opening, shot Cooper while sitting by the fire with a child on his lap. The child was uninjured." (D.W. Eaton, X, p. 280; HIST. MISSOURI, p. 197; Gannett, p. 91; Barns, p. 196)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cotton Patch School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cotton Wood School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Crab Orchard School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cross Lane School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Davis School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dicks
Description:Dicks received its name from the owner of the store, Adolph Dick. When the post office was established it was known as Cotton. The origin of this name could not be found. The place has been abandoned many years but the names Dicks and Cotton are now applied to that community. The name Cotton appears on Rand McNally's map of Cooper County published in 1910. (R.M. Whitlow; Cited in MISSOURI GAZETTEER, p. 320)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dick's Mill School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elliott
Description:John S. Elliott established a store here. It has been abandoned and Elliott is now only a place to load stock on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. (A.L. Haun; Cited on Rand McNally's Map of Cooper County 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ellis School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Excelsior School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fair View School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Felder School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Franklin School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gartners Branch
Description:The origin of the name is unknown. (Cited on Boonville Sheet of U.S. Geological Survey)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gill School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gilroy School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Glendale School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gooch's Mill
Description:About 1822 William D. Gooch established a mill here. It is now extinct. (R.M. Whitlow; Cited in MISSOURI STATE GAZETTEER, p. 200)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Greenwood School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hail Ridge School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harrison School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harriston
Description:In 1873, Dr. N.W. Harris located the town that bears his name. (Eaton, p. 280; R.M. Whitlow; Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Heath Creek
Description:"In 1808 William Christie and John G. Heath came up from St. Louis and manufactured salt at what was known as "Heath's Salt Lick" in what is now Blackwater Township. For many years Mr. Heath made salt at the same springs." (HIST. OF MISSOURI, p. 1818; Barns, p. 181; ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 21)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Branch
Description:Hickory Branch received its name from the many hickory trees along its banks. (R.W. Whitlow; Cited on Boonville Sheet of U.S. Geological Survey)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Highland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hirst
Description:Hirst, a station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, received its name from Mr. A.A. Hirst who owned the adjacent land. (R.W. Whitlow; Cited on Rand McNally's Map of Cooper County 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Honey Creek
Description:Nothing was found concerning the name of this small stream. (Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hutchinson's Branch
Description:Mr. Hutchinson owns the land through which this stream flows. (R.W. Whitlow; Cited on Rand McNally's Map of Cooper County 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Independence School
Description:Named for its time of founding(?)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jefferson School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Joe Town
Description:The origin of the name was not found. (Cited on Map of Cooper County Atlas, p. 7)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jolly's Bottom
Description:"The very first settlers in Saline Township, we may safely say, were Joseph Jolly and his sons. Joseph figured conspicuously in the War of 1812 and was in the fort at Stephen Cole's when the Indians made the attack in 1812. He used to make powder for the settlers. As a settler he was well known, and today "Jolly's Bottom," where he resided, is familiar to nearly all in the county." (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 28)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Keener School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kelley Township
Description:Kelley Township was "named in honor of John Kelley, one of its old and respected settlers" who came there about 1818. (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 53; HIST. COOPER, p. 228)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lakota
Description:Mr. R.D. Pealer had a country store and post office here from 1901 to 1904. When asked why he named his store Lakota Mr. Pealer replied, "Because I liked it and there were only a few post offices by that name." (R.D. Pealer; Cited on Rand McNally's Map of Cooper County 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lamine
Description:Lamine was plotted June 24, 1888 and named for the Lamine River (q.v.). (R.W. Whitlow, Cited on Higgins Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lamine River
Description:The Lamine River was named by Renandiere, "Riviere a la Mine," in 1723. In 1720 Philip Renault, Director General of Mines of the French colonies in America, sent prospecting parties into the territory west of the Mississippi River to seek gold and silver. This party under Renandrere discovered lead in 1723 and La Mine or Lamine is a contraction of the original French name." The local pronunciation is lemi. (Eaton, p. 281; Thwaites, Vol. 4, p. 162 (editors note).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lamine School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lamine Township
Description:The first settlement in this township was made in the fall of 1811. "The name is derived from the river on its southern boundary, which was originally named by the French." (q.v.) (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 53)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lebanon
Description:Lebanon was named for a nearby church, which received its name "from the fact that a majority of its members came from Lebanon Church, in Logan County, Kentucky." The town was never organized. It is known as New Lebanon now, because of a town in Laclede County with the same name. (HIST. COOPER, p. 279; ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 21)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lebanon School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lebanon Township
Description:This township was organized about 1826, and received its name from Lebanon Church. (q.v.) (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 53)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lee School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name. (?)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lick Branch
Description:Lick Branch received its name from the salt licks along its banks. (R.W. Whitlow; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Locust Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lone Elm
Description:Lone Elm received its name from a nearby large elm tree that stood alone on that prairie. (R.M. Whitlow; Dr. William Mittelbach, Cited in MISSOURI GAZETTEER (1888), p. 758)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lone Elm School [1 of 2]
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lone Elm School [2 of 2]
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lowland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Martin School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Midway
Description:"Midway, situated on the old stage road from Jefferson City to Boonville, was first settled by A.S. Tompkins in 1833." The founder perhaps thought this the midpoint between the two towns. However, it is not. Nothing definite concerning the origin of the name could be found. (MISSOURI GAZETTEER & BUSINESS DIRECTORY, p. 187; Cited on Sectional Map of Missouri, 1844)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moniteau Creek
Description:The name is a corruption of the Indian word manito. "The Indians often apply this term to uncommon or singular productions of nature, which they highly venerated. On or near these manitos, they chiefly deposit their offerings to the Great Spirit or Father of Life. On these rocks several rude figures have been drawn by the Indians with red paint." The original name of the creek was Little Manitou. The word Moniteau was applied (1821) to a township (Moniteau County) and later was applied to the creek. (Thwaites, V,; Clark's Sectional Map of Missouri 1844)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moniteau Township
Description:This township was organized in 1827 and named for the Moniteau Creek which flows almost directly eastward through it. About 1895 the township was divided into North and South Moniteau, with the Moniteau Creek as the dividing line. (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 52; HIST. COOPER, p. 232)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mount Carmel
Description:The circumstances connected with the giving of this name were not found. However, it is of Biblical origin. Elijah and the prophets of Baal met on Mount Carmel to test the strength of Jehovah and of Baal. (First Kings, 18) (Cited on Clark's Sectional Map of 1844)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Nebo School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Sinia School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Zion School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nelson School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oakhill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oakland School [1 of 2]
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oakland School [2 of 2]
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oakwood School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Old Palestine
Description:"Doubtless Old Palestine derived its name from some religious congregation assembling at that place. It is the oldest town in the county and was at one time a noted place." It tried to secure the state capital and the county seat. With the coming of the railroad Old Palestine was abandoned for New Palestine on the railroad. (q.v.). (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 21)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Old Round Hill
Description:Many years ago a mill, run by wind, was operated here. It received its name from its location on the top of a large round hill. It is now extinct. (R.M. Whitlow, Cited on Clark's Sectional Map of Missouri 1844)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Otter Creek
Description:"When Samuel Cole was occupied in hunting, he, with several others, succeeded in catching some otters at the mouth of a creek some distance south of Otterville. To this creek they gave the name "Otter Creek," which it bears to this day." (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 21)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Otterville
Description:Otterville was laid out in 1837 and called Elkton because of the many elks found nearby. With the coming of the Missouri Kansas Texas Railroad the name was changed to Otterville for Otter Creek which flows near the town (q.v.). (Cited on Clark's Sectional Map of Missouri 1844; Eaton, p. 281)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Otterville Township
Description:Otterville Township received its name from its principal town (q.v.). (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 54)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Overton
Description:Overton was plotted November 30, 1901 and named for William B. Overton, who owned the land on which the town was built. (Eaton, p. 281; R.M. Whitlow, Cited on Rand McNally's Map of Cooper County 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Overton School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Palestine School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Palestine Township
Description:Palestine Township received its name from its oldest town, Old Palestine (q.v.). (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 53)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Peninusla School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Petersburg
Description:In 1818 Samuel Peters founded the town which was named in his honor. The suffix "burg" was added possibly through influence of the Russian capital or more probable Petersburg, Virginia. (HIST. COOPER, p. 233; R.M. Whitlow)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Petite Saline Creek
Description:Petite Saline, so named because of the many salt springs in it. The word Petite was given because the inhabitants looked upon it as a small river. (Dr. William Mittelbach, Gannett, p. 272; Cited on Boonville Sheet of U.S. Geological Survey)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pilot Grove
Description:"When travelers were passing from Boonville to Independence, or in the neighborhood of this route, as it led through the township, they were enabled at once to determine their position by the small grove of trees which were plainly visible for miles around. Very little of the present timber was in existence except as low brush, so that the group of trees standing prominently above all the rest proved a pilot to the traveler in his journey across the extensive prairie. Hence the name Pilot Grove." The town was laid out in 1873. (HIST. COOPER, p. 227; Gannett, p. 246; Eaton, p. 281)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pilot Grove Township
Description:This township "derived its name the same way the town did." (q.v.) (HIST. COOPER, p. 227; ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 20)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pisgah
Description:The town of Pisgah was plotted June 30, 1830, and "named indirectly from the mountain in Palestine. The word is of Hebrew origin meaning peak." It was on Mount Pisgah that Balak and Balaam offered seven sacrifices to the Lord. (Numbers 23:1-5). (Gannett, p. 274; Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pisgah School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Green
Description:The town of Pleasant Green was plotted June 28, 1873, and named in honor of Presley Green Walker who owned a large tract of land there. (R.M. Whitlow, Cited on Rand McNally's Map of Cooper County 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Green School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Home
Description:On June 16, 1894, a town was laid out here and named for its "pleasant situation on a beautiful prairie." (Eaton, p. 281; R.W. Whitlow, Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Home Township
Description:This township was organized about 1872 and named for the prairie it contains. (R.W. Whitlow)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Lick
Description:This station on the Missouri Kansas Texas Railroad was doubtless named for its location on the prairie. (R.W. Whitlow, Cited on Rand McNally's Map of Cooper County 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie View School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rinehart School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rockland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Roupe's Branch
Description:"The first settler in Boonville proper was Gilland Roupe, who established his home on the river at the mouth of what was then called and is still known, as "Roupe's Branch." (Conard, Vol. I, p. 329)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Saline Township
Description:The "name is of French origin doubtless, and it probably derived it from the creek which flows through it, bearing that name," (q.v.). The first settlement was made about 1842. (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 54)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Scott's Ford
Description:Scott's Ford was named for Ezekiel Scott, one of the early settlers, who came here about 1816. (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 52; R.W. Whitlow)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shackleford School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Simmons School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Skull Branch
Description:The origin of the name is unknown. (Cited on Boonville Sheet of U.S. Geological Survey)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Soleville
Description:Soleville bears the name of Mr. Sole who owned the land on which the post office was established. It was discontinued many years ago. (R.W. Whitlow; Cited on Rand McNally's Map of Cooper County 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Speed
Description:Speed was plotted August 20, 1868 and called New Palestine, to distinguish it from the town Old Palestine near which it was located. About 1903 the name was changed to Speed in honor of Austin Speed, a conductor on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Until the name was changed much of the mail went to New Palestine, Texas. (R.W. Whitlow; Dr. Wm. Mittelbach, Cited on Rand McNally's Map of Cooper County 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stephens Branch
Description:Mr. Stephens owns the land through which this small stream flows. (R.W. Whitlow, Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stony Point School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sweeney
Description:This name is applied to a flag station on the Missouri Kansas Texas road. The origin of the was not found. (Cited on ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 7)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thomas Branch
Description:This stream bears the name of a family who lived nearby. (Dr. William Mittelbach, Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tutt Branch
Description:Nothing was found concerning the origin of the name. (Cited on U.S. Geologicl Survey, Boonville Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Vermont
Description:Vermont is a station on the Missouri Pacific line. Nothing was found concerning the name. (Cited in MISSOURI GAZETTEER (1876), p. 642)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Vollmer School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Washington
Description:"As early as 1818, a town was laid out in Saline Township and called Washington. For a time it flourished" but the Missouri River claimed it many years ago. The origin of the name could not be found. It was probably named for George Washington, the first president of the United States. (ATLAS COOPER COUNTY, p. 28; R. W. Whitlow)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Washington School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Fork School
Description:Named for its location (?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Westwood School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Whitlinger School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Willow Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wolf Creek
Description:Wolf Creek received its name from Mr. Wolf who owned the land through which it flows. (Dr. Wm. Mittelbach, Cited on Boonville Sheet of U.S. Geological Survey)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wooldridge
Description:Wooldridge was plotted December 26, 1901 and named for Dr. Wooldridge, on whose land it was built. (Eaton, p. 281; R.W. Whitlow)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wooldridge School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names