Clinton County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Anderson
Description:A country post office was established in the store opened by a Mr. Anderson about 1870. When the town of Gower (q.v.) was founded a few miles away, Anderson ceased to exist. Later it was reestablished under the name of McKissick (q.v.). (Mrs. D. McPhetters; HIST. CLINTON, 1881, p. 141)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ash Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Atchison Township
Description:David R. Atchison, whose estate was located in this township, was prominent in the establishment of Clinton County. His brother Allen was an early settler in the same county and township. The township in Nodaway County was located in 1845. Both townships were named for the distinguished Missourian, who was president of the United States for a day. (HIST. OF CLINTON p. 118, 136; Map. Nodaway County; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 248)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bainbridge
Description:Uriah Bainbridge erected a flour and sawmill on Robert's Branch about 1856. The town perhaps derives its name from this early miller. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 216)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Baldwin Township
Description:Organized in 1839 and named for Isaac D. Baldwin. (HIST. CLINTON 1881, p. 107)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Barnesville
Description:A small trading point in Jackson Township which originated in 1857 when Solon Moore built a mill on the town site. G.O. Barnes lived in that community but there is no evidence that the town was named for him. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 229)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Barnesville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bee Hive
Description:A hamlet evidently given a fanciful name suggesting a thriving business center. It was located in Platte Township, about 1867. (Goodwin's BUSINESS GUIDE, p. 3)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bonham School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Braley
Description:"A one store town in Clinton County, named for the late Charles A. Braley, who was Secretary of the Kansas City and Northern Connecting Railroad Company, which was building the road now known as Quincy, Omaha, and Kansas City." (Names File, No. 7; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 440)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brooking School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cameron
Description:Established in 1855, this town was named for Judge Elisha Cameron of Clay County. (Eaton, p. 277; Conard, Vol. 1, p. 477; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 222)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Campbell School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Carpenter's Store
Description:An early rural community post office, named for William Carpenter, postmaster, owner of a large portion of land in that neighborhood, and the first storekeeper. When a town was laid off the name was changed to Trimble (q.v.). (Names File, No. 1, p. 7; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 235)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Castile Creek
Description:Named for an early settler, William Castile, who opened the first farm in the township. David Castile settled nearby a few years later in 1831. (HIST. OF CLINT. 1881, p. 123; 138; Campbell, p. 161; Conard, p. 33, Vol. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Center Prairie School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clear Creek
Description:Evidently named for the character of its waters. (HIST. OF CLINTON, 1881, p. 88; HIST. OF DAVIESS, p. 610; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clinton County
Description:A few people settled in Clinton County as early as 1828, but a permanent settlement did not properly begin until 1833. This county, like many others in Missouri, was named in honor of one of America's most famous men De Witt Clinton, Governor of New York and well known because of his carrying through the construction of the Erie Canal. Clinton died February 11, 1828. The county was organized from a part of Clay, in 1833. It was reduced to its present limits in 1841. (Eaton; Campbell, p. 161; HIST. OF HARRISON, 1921, p. 119; SESSION LAWS, 1832, p. 47)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clinton Township
Description:Established in 1871, and named for the county. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 119)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Concord
Description:General David R. Atchison, John Long and Howard Everett, commissioners for locating the county court, selected the site of the present town of Plattsburg and named it Concord. Evidently the Battle of Concord Bridge influenced the choice, while at the same time, the meaning of the word, - agreement, harmony, carried with it a pleasing ideal. The town was laid off in 1833. Changed to Springfield (q.v.) and Plattsburg (q.v.). (HIST. CLINTON, p. 142; Conard, Vol. 11, p. 33)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Concord Township
Description:The name court which approved the commissioners report for the establishment of the county seat to be called Concord, described the boundaries of this township and gave it the name Concord also. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 105)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Converse
Description:When the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railroad was completed through the present town of Converse, in July, 1870, Mr. Converse, a railroad official, asked that the town be named for him, and his suggestion met with approval. (Birch Brawner, (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crawford Township
Description:As it was the custom of early courts in northeast Missouri to give names in honor of national leaders, Crawford Township, in two counties, perhaps is no exception. William Crawford, a prominent political leader, died four years before the Clinton County Court met in 1838 and named Crawford Township. The township of the same name in Buchanan County was established in 1839. (MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8, (4-7); HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dale School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Deer Creek
Description:This creek perhaps derives its name from the fact that deer abounded in Lathrop Township where the stream originates. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 232)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Deer Creek School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Duncan School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fishing River
Description:This, the name of a large stream, suggests its own origin. (CITED IN HIST. CLINTON, p. 123)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fishing River Township
Description:Organized in 1821 as a part of Ray County, this township included territory now belonging to six counties. The name was derived from Fishing River. (HIST. OF RAY, p. 241-2)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Forest Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fountain School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gower
Description:Laid off in 1870, Gower was named in honor of A.G. Gower, division Superintendent of the railroad which extended its lines through the town. (Eaton, p. 278; HIST. CLINTON, p. 141-2)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grand Prairie School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grand River Township
Description:A township named for the Grand River was established in Caldwell County, in November, 1869; in Clinton, 1834; in Daviess, 1837; and in De Kalb, 1845. In Caldwell County, the name was changed to New York Township (q.v.) and in Clinton County, the Grand River Township's boundaries have been changed until finally a new name was given to all the townships formed from the division of it. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 456; HIST. OF DAV., p. 238; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 106; Davis & Durrie, p. 360; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; Atlas of De Kalb, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grayson
Description:Located in 1871 and on land owned by H.B. Baker, who called the town Grayson, for the maiden name of his wife. It is also called Graysonville. (Conard, Vol. 3, p. 98; Eaton, p. 278; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 379)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Graysonville
Description:See Grayson.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hainesville
Description:See Haynesville.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hall School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harbor School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hardin Township
Description:Organized in 1834. One of the earliest settlers, Lorenzo J. Froman, who was a county judge from 1839-1846, was from Hardin County, Kentucky. The township perhaps derives its name from this source. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 106; 214)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Haynesville
Description:Named for Collet Haynes, whose farm was nearest the town site. The town was laid out in July, 1842. A variant spelling is Hainesville. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 386; HIST. CLINTON, p. 123, 221)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Haynesville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hazel Dell School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hemple
Description:Nothing was found concerning the origin of this name. (Cited on Railway Map, 1910)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hemple School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:High Prairie School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Holt
Description:Holt is on the line between Clinton and Clay Counties, the most of the town lying in Clay County. It was founded in 1867 and named for Jerry A. Holt, owner of the land on which the town was located. (HIST. CLAY & PLATTE, p. 453; HIST. CLINTON, p. 220)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Horse Fork
Description:One of the earliest enterprises in the vicinity of this stream was a horse grist mill, operated by John Harsel, in 1836. Perhaps this fact explains the origin of the name of the stream. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 146)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Huffaker School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Four counties honored Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the United States, when each named a township Jackson: Buchanan in 1843; Clinton, 1833; Daviess, 1840; and Nodaway, 1866. Andrew & Gentry Counties honored pioneer settlers. Jackson Township, in Andrew County, eas established in 1846. (HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; HIST. OF CLINTON, p. 103; HIST. OF DAVIESS, p. 252; 744; ATLAS OF DAVIESS, 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; Sam Evans (letter); PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 281; C. Gooden; Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:All of the counties, with the exception of Gentry, which honored Andrew Jackson by naming townships for him, likewise honored Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States. The dates for the organization of these townships are as follows: Andrew, 1846; Buchanan, 1839; Clinton, 1838; Daviess, 1840; Harrison, about 1845; Nodaway, 1871. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF DAV., p. 252; Sam Evans (letter); ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; R.H. Dunn; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 286)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jones School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Keystone
Description:A post office and station on the Rock Island, Pacific Railroad in existence in 1876. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1876, p. 554)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Keystone School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lafayette Township
Description:Organized in 1833 and named in honor of General Lafayette. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 104)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lathrop
Description:Lathrop was laid out in the fall of 1867 and was named for an early settler. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 117, 232; Eaton, p. 278; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 595)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lathrop Township
Description:Named either for the town of Lathrop (q.v.) or from the same source. The township was organized in December, 1867. (Eaton, p. 278; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 595; HIST. CLINTON, p. 117; 230-1; PLATTSBURG LEADER, Dec. 28, 1917, p. 3)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lilly
Description:A hamlet perhaps named from the feminine christian name. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1891, p. 644)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lily School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Linn Branch
Description:This may have been derived from the common family name, perhaps borne by some early settler. (Cited in HIST. CLINTON, p. 213)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Log Church School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Long Branch School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lott School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lyons School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Madden School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Major
Description:Nothing could be found on this name. (Cited in MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 628)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Martin School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McCully's School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McGuire's Branch
Description:Silas McGuire was a pioneer settler in the township through which the branch flows. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 137)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McKissick
Description:A country post office, evidently named for Daniel P. McKissick, who was postmaster there in 1876. Earlier called Anderson (q.v.). (MISSOURI GAZ., 1876, p. 71)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mecca
Description:A recent settlement in Clinton County which perhaps was named Mecca to signify the goal of a pilgrimage. (HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 439)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Minkler Branch
Description:Named for Daniel Minkler, a pioneer. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 146)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mount Refuge
Description:The first post office in Shoal Township. Probably a fanciful name, suggested by the cities of refuge of the Bible. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 245-6)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Carmel School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Hope School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Zion School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway Township
Description:Although the Nodaway River crosses only three counties of northwest Missouri, townships in five counties were named for it. Andrew organized a Nodaway Township in 1846; Buchanan, in 1839; Clinton, in 1838; Holt, in 1841; and Nodaway in 1871. In Buchanan County, the name is no longer in existence. Nodaway Township, Clinton County, was organized before the county was reduced to its present limits. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 104; HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak Dale School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oakland School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Park School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Perrin
Description:A railway station. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1893, p. 779)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Perrin School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Plainview School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Platte Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Platte Township
Description:Three townships formed in the early days of Andrew, Buchanan and Clinton Counties, (in the years 1846, 1839 and 1838, respectively) were named from the Platte River. (Names File, No. 20; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Plattsburg
Description:The name of the county seat of Clinton was changed from Concord (q.v.) to Springfield (q.v.) and finally to Plattsburg, in 1835. The last name was given in honor of the hometown of DeWitt Clinton, of New York. (Eaton, p. 277; Wetmore, p. 60)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Prairie School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Plum Creek
Description:A country post office in existence in 1876-1877. Perhaps the name was derived from wild plum trees. (Goodwin's GAZ., p. 32; Hayward's GAZ., p. 824)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Potter School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Bell School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Cottage School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Lawn School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Point School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rat Den School
Description:A sobriquet; an assumed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Riggs School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Robert's Branch
Description:Littleton Roberts was one of the earliest settlers in Concord Township, in which the stream finds its source. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 147)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Round Prairie School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shoal Creek
Description:Probably descriptive. (HIST. OF CLINT., p. 116)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shoal Township
Description:The principal stream in this township is called Shoal. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 116)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Smith's Fork
Description:Smith's Fork of Platte River may have derived its name from William Smith, one of the first settlers in Platte Township. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 304)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Somerville
Description:The first attempt to establish a town in Shoal Township was about 1854 when Somerville came into existence. It was located at the old Mormon Cross Roads and named in honor of a member of the firm of Ray and Somerville, merchants. After Cameron (q.v.) was established, the town of Somerville ceased to exist. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 250)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Spring Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Springfield
Description:In 1834 the name of the county seat of Clinton was changed from Concord (q.v.) to Springfield. One year later, the final decision on the name was reached when it was again changed to Plattsburg (q.v.). The earliest post office list available gives twenty-seven uses of the name Springfield, in Missouri and other states. The origin of its adoption in Clinton County is not recorded. (Conard, Vol. 5, p. 33; Postal Guide, 1867-8, p. 144)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Starfield
Description:A village near Plattsburg. The name may be merely fanciful. (HIST. CLINTON, p. 140; MISSOURI GAZ., 1893, p. 1230)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Stony Point School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sunny Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tanner
Description:A railway station. (Campbell, p. 163)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Thrush
Description:A country post office, perhaps named for T.H. Thrush, who owned the general store there. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1893, p. 1246)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Trimble
Description:When the railroad was built through a trading point called Carpenter's Store (q.v.), a town was laid off and named Trimble, in honor of J. McD. Trimble, who was the vice president of the railroad. (Names File, No. 7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Turney
Description:Turney was established in 1869, by William H. Moore, and named in honor of Judge Thomas E. Turney, who had formerly served in the state legislature. Also called Turney's Station. (PLATTSBURG LEADER, Dec. 28, 1917, p. 3; HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 439; BIOG'L. RECORD, p. 389-390)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Victory School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wagul School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names