Christian County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Aisle (earlier Boston)
Description:A post office, established in 1889 and discontinued in 1904; named by the Postal Department. (H.A. Clay; John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Anderson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bald Knobbers' Cave
Description:A cave four miles southwest of Chadwick. It was in this cave that some of the Bald Knobbers were hanged, hence the name. (John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barker's Creek
Description:A creek named for the Barker family, early settlers in Christian County. (R.F. Dorn; Judge H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bengal
Description:A post office established in 1899 and discontinued in 1917. No one remembers why it was so named. (H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Beaver Creek
Description:Some trappers caught two or three big beavers in traps on this creek and the creek was named from this incident. (Jim Banres)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Billings
Description:Laid out in 1872 and named for a capitalist, Mr. Billings, who gave $1,000 to the Union Church to have the place named for him. (Eaton (46) II, p. 275; John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Billings School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blue Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boaz
Description:A post office, established in 1900, and discontinued in 1914, which took its name from a Masonic lodge term. There was a very active Masonic Lodge there at the time the post office was being named, and Boaz was suggested. The name of course ultimately comes from the Bible character who was the hero of the book of RUTH and one of the ancestors of David. (John Rogers; Mrs. John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boston (later Aisle)
Description:A mining village formed in 1879 in Marion Township, named for some other Boston, probably Boston, Massachusetts. It was changed to Aisle (q.v.) in 1889. (John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boston School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Breckenridge Township (later Galloway Township)
Description:A township formed in 1860 and named for John C. Breckenridge (1821-1875), American politician. He was candidate of the Southern Democrats for President in 1860, and later became a general in the Confederate Army. Later changed to Galloway Township (q.v.). (Miss HIST. CHRISTIAN COUNTY (18), p. 2)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bruner School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bull Creek
Description:There is a legendary story that in the early days of the Ozarks several hunters killed some buffalo bulls on the creeks and named it from these. (Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cassidy
Description:A post office, established in 1884; named after some railroad official and stockholder of the Ozark Southern Railway that came through in this year. (John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Center School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chadwick
Description:A post office and town named after a railroad official, when the railroad came through in 1883. (Jacob Burkhardt; Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chadwick School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chestnut Ridge
Description:A ridge named for the chestnut trees found growing there early in the 19th century. (John Rogers; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Christian County
Description:Organized March 8, 1859, from portions of Greene, Webster, and Taney Counties. It is said to have been named Christian from the county of that name in Kentucky and at the request of an old lady, Mrs. Tom Nervis, who had lived in the Kentucky county. (John Rogers; Eaton (46) II, p. 275)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clever
Description:A post office, established in 1893 and named by Tom Lentz because "clever people lived there." (Clever in the Ozarks often means kind, good- hearted, but here it has the regular standard English sense of smart, intelligent) (A. Brown)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clever Creek
Description:A creek, which traces its source to the town of Clever in Christian County, and is named for the town. (John Rogers; T.A. Kay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clever School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cowan School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Delaware Bridge
Description:Named for a settlement of Delaware Indians who lived in that section until the removal of the Indians to Indian Territory in 1836. (John Rogers; H.A. Clay; R.F. Dorn)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Delaware Village
Description:Only the ruins remain of this village of the Delaware Indians. (John Rogers; R.F. Dorn)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dug Spring
Description:A spring named by early settlers because it had been dug out. (H.A. Clay; MS HIST. CHRISTIAN (18), p. 10)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dutch Store (later Highlandville)
Description:A store, or a community, later called Highlandville (q.v.), which was owned by some Dutch people. (F.F. Kentling; Mrs. F.F. Kentling)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eastern Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eaudevie
Description:A post office and resort established in 1904 and discontinued in 1929. The town was first a health resort, and the name was significant: French "eau de vie," i.e. water of life. (John Rogers; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk Valley
Description:So designated by George Yoachum, an early settler on White River, and father of W.T. Yoachum, a merchant of Ozark, who was in the habit of visiting it in search of the numerous elk found thereabout. (M.S.S. HIST. CHRISTIAN COUNTY (18), p. 2)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elkhead
Description:A post office, named Elkhead because it is at the head of Elkhorn Creek (q.v.). (R.F. Dorn)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elkhead School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elmgrove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Enterprise School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Finley Creek
Description:A creek which is said to have been named after John Finley, the famous pioneer trapper who conducted Daniel Boone to Kentucky in 1769. However, it is uncertain that Finley ever visited Missouri. Mr. Bruce says, "So far as is known Boone and Finley never met after the latter's departure from Kentucky. In fact, with that departure Finley steps off the stage of authentic history. Dr. Thwaites says that after leaving Boone, he went to visit relatives in Pennsylvania, but what became of him afterwards is unknown." (1) It may be as Mr. Barnes says that Finley was named after a trapper, James Finley. (2) (1. Bruce (34), p. 65; 2. Jim Thompson; Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Finley Creek
Description:Finley Creek was named for a pioneer settler. (R.S. Waddill; Holcombe (13), p. 189)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fox's Den
Description:A spring evidently so called because it gushes from a hole resembling the entrance to a fox's den. (H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:French Valley School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Galloway Township (earlier Breckenridge Township)
Description:A township earlier named Breckenridge (q.v.) and later renamed in honor of Jessie Galloway, a Union soldier. This change indicates an alteration of political views, as Breckenridge was Southern and Galloway a Union man. (MS. HIST. CHRISTIAN (18) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Garrison
Description:A post office, established in 1887, on Swan Creek near Taney County line, and named after a local family of Garrisons. (John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Garrison School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Glendale School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Griffin
Description:A post office established in 1887 and discontinued in 1899; named after Griffin Mill (q.v.). (John Rogers; R.F. Dorn)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Griffin Mill
Description:A mill, near Wilson Creek Battleground, which takes its name from the owner. (John Rogers; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harmony School [1 of 2]
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harmony School [2 of 2]
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hartley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Highlandville (earlier Dutch Store)
Description:Named in 1860 by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Keatling, who had the first post office there. Some of the inhabitants wanted to call it Keatlingville, but Mrs. Keatling insisted that it be called Highlandville because of its situation on a high ridge. (F.F. Keatling)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Highlandville School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hoover's Mill
Description:Hoover's Mill was built on Finley Creek in 1839 and was named for its owner. (Holcombe (13), p. 189; R.S. Waddill)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hopedale School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hurricane Hollow
Description:A hurricane in 1895 blew away everything in this heretofore unnamed hollow, and since then it has been known as Hurricane Hollow. (H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:John's Mills
Description:A post office and mill, established in 1899 and named for Billie Johns, who owned the mill. (John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kelly Chapel
Description:A Methodist Episcopal Church which was named after the presiding elder, a Mr. Kelly. (R.F. Doran; John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kenton (earlier Linden; Lindenlure)
Description:A post office established in 1855 and named after Simeon Kenton, one of the heroes and hunters of the west. The district for many years previously had been known as Linden (q.v.). The resort and lake at Kenton is now called Lindenlure (q.v.), though the post office keeps the name Kenton. (R.F. Dorn; Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kimberling Mill
Description:A mill erected on Bull Creek in 1833 by James Kimberling, Jr. (MS Christian County (18), p. 2; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lane School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lawing
Description:A post office established in 1904 and discontinued in 1917, takes its name from the old Lawing settlement of that region which was named for Billie Lawing, an old settler of the region. (John Rogers; R.F. Dorn)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lead Hill School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lincoln Township
Description:A township named for President Abraham Lincoln. (Jim Barnes; John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Linden (now Kenton, also Lindenlure)
Description:One of the oldest towns in southwest Missouri; settled long before the Civil War and named after Linden, Tennessee. When the post office was established the name was changed to Kenton because of another Linden in Atchison County. (R.F. Dorn; John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Linden Township
Description:A township which was named for the town Linden, one of the earliest settlements in the county. (John Rogers; R.F. Dorn)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lindenlure (earlier Linden; now also Kenton)
Description:A resort and lake named for the old community Linden with the addition of "lure" as an advertisement. The post office is now known as Kenton (q.v.). (Mr. R.F. Dorn; John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Linn Township
Description:A township formed in 1860 and given the popular name Linn. Linn is a dialect form for Linden trees and there are numerous linden trees in this township. (H.A. Clay; John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lone Hill School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Marion Township
Description:A township formed in 1859 and named for General Francis Marion (1732-1795), an American Revolutionary general. (H.A. Clay; Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McCracken
Description:A post office, established in 1884 takes its name from Samuel G. McCracken, who was tie inspector for the railroad when it was being built in 1882-3 and who had the first business house there. (R.F. Dorn; John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McCracken Township
Description:A township which was formed in 1886 and which takes its name from the post office, McCracken. (R.F. Dorn; John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McHaffie School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Minersville
Description:An old settlement in the heart of the lead mines; probably named from its principal inhabitants. (John Rogers; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Montague
Description:A post office, established in 1900 and discontinued in 1920. No one seems to know where the name came from. Perhaps it is named for the Texas, or the Massachusetts town. (John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Murray Springs Hollow
Description:A hollow, which leads up into Finley, evidently takes its name from Grandmother Murray who lived in the hollow for many years. (Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nixa School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North Galloway (earlier Breckenridge)
Description:A township formed about 1863 and named for a man by the name of Galloway, who was a Union soldier killed in the Civil War. (John Rogers; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North Marion
Description:A township, in the northern part of old Marion Township. (H.A. Clay; Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:North View School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Nouvine
Description:A post office, established in 1915 and discontinued in 1928, which takes its name from the first postmaster. (R.F. Dorn; John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Hill School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Ridge School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oakwood School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oldfield School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ozark School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Parched Corn Creek
Description:Tradition has it that the creek was named "Parched Corn" because it was usually dry. (John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Park's Branch
Description:A small stream named for a pioneer family of Parks who settled in the county about the middle of the 19th century. (H.A. Clay; Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pedlow Creek
Description:An Indian term meaning "shot pouch" was given to the creek first by the Delaware Indians and adopted by the white settlers. (R.F. Dorn; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pembina
Description:A post office which takes its name from a church there named Pembina. The post office was established in 1885 and discontinued in 1893. (John Rogers; R.F. Dorn)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pembina Church
Description:An early Baptist Church which was built about 1875. The origin of the name has been forgotten. There is a lake of that name in North Dakota. (John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Ridge School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Polk Township
Description:A township in Christian County named for James Polk (1795-1849), President of the United States (1845-49). (John Rogers; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Porter Township
Description:A township formed in 1860 and named for Joseph Porter, a citizen of that township who entered the land upon which the town of the Delawares formerly stood. (MSS HIST. CHRISTIAN COUNTY (18), p. 2)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Reno
Description:A post office and settlement, established in 1885. There are several mineral springs nearby. The place was probably named for some other Reno; the name occurs in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Colorado, and Nevada. All derive ultimately from the Reno River in Italy, famous for its healing waters. (John Rogers)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roberts School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Robertson Trout Lakes
Description:Four rainbow trout lakes built for commercial purposes and named by J.W. Robertson. (H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Robinson Mill
Description:Robinson Mill was built on Finley Creek by the Robinson brothers. (Haswell (6), Vol. I, p. 247)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rogersville
Description:A town named for John Rogers, Sr., prominent in county affairs; established in 1894. (John Rogers, Jr.)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Selmore
Description:A store and post office which took its name from a contest with a store nearby. The proprietor said that they could "sell more" goods and so he would name the store and post office Selmore. (R.F. Doran)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shady Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sharon Hill School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sherrow School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smallin Cave
Description:A cave which takes its name from the people who owned the land on which the cave is located. (R.F. Dorn; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smart School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Smelter Hollow
Description:A hollow at the headwater of Bull Creek which was the scene of much activity in lead smelting before the Civil War. Governor McClurg built a warehouse there and lead was shipped from the warehouse. (Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sodom School
Description:A humorous name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Galloway
Description:A township was named for the old Galloway family. There was originally a Galloway Township, then it was divided and the northern section became North Galloway (q.v.) and the southern division South Galloway. (John Rogers; R.F. Dorn)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Marion Township
Description:The southern section of old Marion Township (q.v.). (H.A. Clay; Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sparta
Description:A store established in 1871 by Jim Bruton, and named after Sparta, Tennessee. It was not until 1885 that a post office was established. (Jim Barnes; Jacob Burkhardt)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sparta School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spokane
Description:A post office, established in 1893; named after Spokane, Washington. (R.F. Doran; Jacob Burkhardt)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spokane Hollow
Description:A hollow near Spokane post office (q.v.), which takes its name from the post office. (Jacob Burkhardt; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spokane School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spout Spring
Description:Called Spout Spring because of the spout of water gushing out from the ground. (R.F. Dorn; Jim Barnes)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stewart's Creek
Description:Named from a pioneer family who lived on its banks. (H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Swanville School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Terril Creek
Description:A creek named for the Terril family, who settled on its banks about the middle of the 19th century. (John Rogers; H.A. Clay)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tiede School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tilman School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tory Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Hill School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Velsor
Description:A post office, established in 1882 and discontinued in 1904; named for an eastern man who came into the country to live, James Velsor. (John Rogers; R.F. Dorn)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wilson Creek
Description:Named for James Wilson who settled on its banks in the 1820s. It rises in Greene County, in which lies the Wilson Creek Battlefield. (H.A. Clay; Myer's Thesis (57) )
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wisehill School
Description:A humorous name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names