Chariton County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Agee School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Aholt School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Allega School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Allen School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Barr School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bee Branch
Description:The name of this branch is probably derived from the great amount of bee trees that were found near its banks. (Campbell, p. 363; HIST. OF HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 486)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bee Branch Township
Description:Bee Branch Township takes its name probably from Bee Branch which is one of the streams in the township, (q.v.). (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 486)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bell School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bentley School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bills School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bluff Point School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bowling Green Township
Description:Bowling Green Township was organized into a county in 1840. The name was probably borrowed from this town in Kentucky, or perhaps directly from the town in Yorkshire, England, which was once famous as a Mecca for eloping couples. "The word is said to be derived from a term denoting ornamental gardening, or a plat of turf for bowling." (Gannett, p. 53; Smith-Gehrig, p. 230; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 472)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brandt School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brewer School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brown School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brummall School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brunswick
Description:Brunswick was laid out in 1836 by James Keyte, "the founder of Keytesville, and by whom it was named after Brunswick, (Tennis) near Manchester, England." (sic; this mysterious reference, given both in the HISTORY OF HOWARD & CHARITON & in RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, I have been unable to verify). Brunswick, Missouri when originally laid out, was located in the bottom, on the banks of the Missouri River. The banks, however, began to crumble and fall into the river, and in the course of twenty years, the business houses and the few residences that were then near the river were moved to the base of the bluffs. Mr. Eaton gives the etymology of Brunswick as Brunswick--Brunos' Village, from "Wick" village. (RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part II, pp. 231-5; Williams, HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 318; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 440-53; Eaton, p. 274; Parker, p. 220; Smith & Gehrig, pp. 238-9; TOP. MAP, MARSHALL)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brunswick Township
Description:Brunswick Township must have been named after the town of Brunswick (q.v.). There were settlers in this township as early as 1825. The township was organized in 1840. (Smith & Gehrig, HIST. CHARITON & HOWARD, pp. 237-8; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 439)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Butner School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bynumville
Description:Bynumville was laid out in 1878 but had an existence many years previous to that time. The town was named for Dr. Joseph Bynum, an early settler. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 247; Gannett, p. 62; Eaton, p. 274; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 487-8)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bynumville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton (Old Chariton)
Description:Chariton was laid out in the spring of 1817 by Duff Green, one of the most promising and distinguished citizens of the state, who afterwards acquired a national reputation as a politician and as editor of the United States Telegraph at Washington. The first Sunday school west of St. Louis was commenced at this place in the following spring. At one time the population was 1,200 people and persons owning lots in St. Louis exchanged them for lots in the city forest. In 1825, the fortunes of the little town began to wane because of the Chariton River's overflowing its banks and the unhealthy climatic conditions. By 1840 the town was entirely abandoned. It was called "Old Chariton" because it was the oldest and first settled town in the county. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 211; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, pp. 5-7; Williams, HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. I, pp. 308-9; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 421-2)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton County
Description:Chariton County was organized on November 16, 1820. At the time of the organization of Chariton County, all the territory now embraced in the counties of Linn, Sullivan, Putnam and a part of Adair and Schuyler, were part of its boundaries. The county seat was established at the town of Chariton situated in the southern part of the county near the mouth of the two rivers by the same name, which stream was called after some French fur traders, who had a fur agency at this point. Just when they made the settlement is unknown, but it is certain they were here as early as 1804. The county was named for the town of Chariton which was laid out in 1817 and located near the mouth of the river of the same name. (Eaton, p. 274; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 405-5; Smith & Gehrig, pp. 209-11; RECORD OF CHARITON, Part I, p. 13, Part II, p. 3)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton River
Description:"The oldest settlers in Missouri say they have always understood that the mouth of the Chariton River was settled by French fur traders. It may be that the fur traders were the first settlers in the county and that the Chariton River, or rivers, had been seen and named (so say Lewis and Clark) as early as 1804 by the French." The Chariton River which now has but one outlet to the Missouri had two in 1804. Mr. Eaton says, "The river was named in honor of John Chariton, the leader of the French fur traders. The name has undergone many changes like many other French names, having appeared as Charleton, Chariton, Charleton, Chareton, and Charlotte. In the Lewis and Clark JOURNAL it appears as "Shariton." Another writer says Lewis and Clark were of the opinion that the original name of the Chariton was "Sheriaton," but others asserted the word is old French and signifies a chariot or little wagon, and that it was a corruption of "Charette." (Gannett, p. 75; Parker, p. 217; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 368; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, p. 13; Eaton, p. 274; Lewis & Clark, Vol. VI, Part I, p. 34)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton Township
Description:One of the original townships which was organized in 1820. "It is named from the Grand Chariton River which skirts its boundary." (Smith & Gehrig, p. 227; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 411-12)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chraneville
Description:Chraneville was a country post office and was probably named after T.F. Chrane, who was the first postmaster. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 262)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clark Township
Description:Clark Township takes its name from its early settler Henry Clark, who came from Kentucky, about 1820 and settled on Clark's branch. Both the branch and township perpetuate his name. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 235; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 369; 504)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clifton Hill School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cockrell Township
Description:This township was probably named for Marion Cockrell who was elected senator in congress from Missouri in 1875 and held the position for a number of years. (Smith & Gehrig, pp. 232-3; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 411, 495; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part I, p. 55)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Coleman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cook School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cooper School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cross Roads School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cunningham
Description:The town of Cunningham was laid out in June, 1870 and named for Dr. John F. Cunningham of Brunswick, Missouri. He has held many offices in the county among these being presiding judge of the county court from 1861-1870. (Eaton, p. 274; Gannett, p. 97; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 491-735)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cunningham Township
Description:Organized in 1840. It was named for Dr. John F. Cunningham "in honor of his services to the public in non-official as well as in official affairs." (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 411, 489, 735)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Curry School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dalton
Description:"The town of Dalton was founded in 1867. The town site was the home of William Dalton, after which the village was named." To the south of Dalton, is a farm which for many years was the home of General Sterling Price. (Gannett, p. 99; Eaton, p. 274; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part II, pp. 213-14; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 473-4; Williams, HIST. NORTHWEST MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 331)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Davis School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dean Lake School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Doxey's Fork
Description:Doxey's Fork was named for John Doxey. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 310; Eaton, p. 274)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Eastman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Foggin School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Forest Green
Description:Forest Green was founded in 1873 by John G. Forest. The town was evidently named for him. (Eaton, p. 274; Smith & Gehrig, p. 247; Williams, HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 274; MISSOURI GAZ., (1876), p. 187; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 421)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Forest Green School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gillis Chapel School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grand Port
Description:The town of Grand Port was laid out by Benjamin Cross, December 18, 1837, one mile above the mouth of Grand River. The town was never "built up" and has long since been extinct. (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 610)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grand River City
Description:Grand River City was laid out by William Whistler and ____ Hutcheson at the mouth of the Grand River. It was abolished by an act of legislature. (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 611)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grubs School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Guthridge (Izora City)
Description:The town of Guthridge was founded in 1858 but no plat of the town was ever filed. The town was originally called Guthridge Mills and the post office is still called that. James Guthridge erected a saw and grist mill in 1851 at the town of Izora City. Edward Irvine bought the Guthridge mills in 1882. He thought the locality had advantages as a trading center and christened the new place, Izora, the Christian name of his wife. (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 498- 9)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Guthridge Mills
Description:See Guthridge
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hamden
Description:No information on how this town received its name could be found. (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 248; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 671; MISSOURI GAZ., (1877-7), p. 267)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harricane Branch School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hayes School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hazel Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Herman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hess
Description:Hess was a country post office. It was probably named for the first postmaster, James F. Hess. (MISSOURI GAZ. (1889), p. 437)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hillsborough
Description:The town of Hillsborough was laid out by Joseph McReynolds and Hiram McDaniel in 1835. This is one of the lost cities of the county as the plot of the town was laid out and no other developments took place. (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 610)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hog Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Holland School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Holloway School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hunt School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hurst School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Indian Grove
Description:"A thinly settled place in Brunswick Township." It is situated upon a high plateau. The first business house was erected in 1880 by J.H. Heck. (RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part II, p. 197; MISSOURI GAZ. (1879), p. 311; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 463; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 671)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Indian Grove School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Izora City
Description:See Guthridge
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jordan School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kays School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Keytesville
Description:Keytesville was not the first town founded in Chariton County, but it is the oldest living town. It was laid out in 1832. Mr. James Keyte, an Englishman and the founder of the town, erected a log cabin in 1831 near Musselfork. The town was not incorporated until 1868. For eleven years prior to 1833, the county seat was located at "Old Chariton," at that time, a very promising village. The first courthouse building, however, erected in the county was built in Keytesville in 1832-3. (Eaton, p. 274; Campbell, pp. 134-5; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part II, pp. 155-70; Smith & Gehrig, pp. 236-7; Parker, p. 220; Williams, HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 317; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 236-7)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Keytesville Landing
Description:"Keytesville Landing was never laid out as a town but was a business point from about 1832-1869, when it was finally abandoned on account of the Missouri River changing its bed, leaving the place a long distance from the banks. The river in 1833 was about two miles from the landing. When the town of Keytesville was established in 1832, Keytesville Landing came into existence as a place of some prominence, because the goods which were shipped to the merchants of the former place were brought up the Missouri River by boats and put off at this point, whence they were transported to Keytesville by wagons, it being about six miles away. It was the home of General Sterling Price and therefore a place of historic interest. (HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 474-76; Campbell, p. 135; Parker, p. 220)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Keytesville Township
Description:Keytesville Township was evidently named after the town. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 228; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 422)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lagonda
Description:A special supply post office was established here in 1881. No information to the name could be found. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1883), p. 570; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 728; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 670)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lee School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lewis Mill
Description:Lewis Mill is a flag station on the Wabash Railroad. It received its name from Mr. Lewis who runs the elevator there. (T. Berry Smith; Cited on Official Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Locke School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Locust Creek
Description:This creek takes its name from the locust trees that grow along its banks. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Locust Creek School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Louisville (The Point)
Description:An attempt was made in 1835 to start another town at what was called "The Point" just east of the mouth of the Chariton River where a ferry was operated. The ferry was owned by R.B. Thornton and Andrew Thrash and the town was called Thorntonsburg and was so-called in honor of one of the proprietors of the ferry. Captain Thomas Joyce, of Louisville, Kentucky gained title to the land and christened the town, Louisville-on-the-Missouri. Like Monticello and Old Chariton, this town has become a thing of the past. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 316; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 610)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lowery School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Manson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Maupin Wilson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McCurry School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McDonald School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mendon (Salt Creek)
Description:"Mendon, not the present site, but a settlement one and a quarter miles from the present site, was laid out in 1871 by Christopher Shupe." The survey of the Santa Fe Railroad missed this town over a mile. But in 1886 a new Mendon was made on the railroad, and the old town was soon disbanded. It is quite evident that Mendon was named for the town in Illinois as Mr. Shupe lived in Mendon, Illinois before he came to Missouri. The old town was also known as Salt Creek, as it was located on the creek. (Campbell, p. 135; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 493; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part II, p. 224. Smith & Gehrig, pp. 247-8; Williams, HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, p. 331; Weaton, p. 271)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mendon Township
Description:Mendon Township was organized in 1840. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 232; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 411, 492-3)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Menefee School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mike
Description:Mike was a country post office of short duration. It was probably a man's Christian name. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1893-4), p. 714; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 671)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Miller School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Missouri Township
Description:This township was first settled in 1815. It probably takes its name from the river. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 232; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 494)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Monticello
Description:In the summer of 1825 there was quite a flood in the Missouri and Chariton Rivers which surrounded Old Chariton by high waters. The first attempt to locate another town near Chariton was in 1831 when Dr. John Graves founded the town of Monticello, one mile east of the Chariton bluffs. There are many towns in the east named for the home of President Jefferson which is in Albemarle County, Virginia. (Gannett, p. 213; Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, pp. 314-15; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 610)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mount St. Mary's
Description:See Wien
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Muscle Fork Township
Description:Muscle Fork Township was organized in 1840. It is assumed that it takes its name from a creek of the same name in the township. The name is now spelled Musselfork. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 233; HIST. OF HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 497)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Hall School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Newcomer
Description:A country post office probably named after the postmaster, W.F. Newcomer. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 885; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 671)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Newcomer School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nordmeyer School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:O'Bryan School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oldham School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Palmer Creek
Description:Palmer Creek was named for Maillard Palmer, who was a recluse in his habits. He was the first representative in the legislature from Chariton County. (Parker, p. 218)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Parish School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Parks School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pee Dee (Muscle Fork, Musselford)
Description:Musselfork, better known as Pee Dee, was begun in 1877 when a store building was erected by the Grangers. (Campbell, p. 134; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part II, p. 227; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 670)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pee Dee School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleyer School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Porche's Prairie
Description:Porche's Prairie was located in comparatively level to steeply rolling country. See Triplett. (CHARITON COUNTY SOIL MAP, p. 5)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Chapel School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Hill
Description:Prairie Hill was established as a post office in the late 1870s. The beginning of the town dates from 1880. It is located on a high rolling prairie. (RECORD OF CHARITON, Part II, pp. 149-50; CHARITON COUNTY SOIL MAP, p. 5; J.C. Hocker; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 502; Smith & Gehrig, pp. 245-6)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Valley School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prather School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Raub School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Redd School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Richardson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Riverside School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rockford
Description:Rockford was the post office at the crossing of Grand River. It was formerly a rock ford. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1878-9), p. 952; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 670)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rothville
Description:Rothville came into being in 1868, although the town plot was not filed until 1883. A man by the name of Bristol erected the first business house and John Roth, for whom the town was named commenced business in the same year. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 244; Williams, HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 322; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 503; Gannett, p. 267; Eaton, p. 274)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salisbury
Description:The town of Salisbury was founded on April 1, 1867 by Judge Lucien Salisbury. Judge Salisbury had moved to this county in 1858 and had located a post office in 1863. In 1882, Salisbury became a city of the fourth class. (Smith & Gehrig, pp. 241-3; Williams, HIST. N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 327; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part II, pp. 23-35; Campbell, p. 35; Eaton, p. 274; Gannett, p. 272)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salt Creek
Description:See Mendon
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salt Creek Township
Description:Salt Creek Township was organized in 1840 and takes its name from a stream bearing the same name. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 235; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 411; 504)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Scribner School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shannon
Description:See Shannondale.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shannondale
Description:Shannondale was laid out by Charles Shannon in 1874. It is also listed as Shannon. (Eaton, p. 274; Campbell, p. 135; Postal Guide, (1904), p. 671)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shannondale School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sleyster School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Smith Center School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Snavely School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:St. Mary's School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stephenson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sumner
Description:When the Burlington Railroad made a survey through Chariton County and within a mile of the thriving town of Cunningham, that town could not or would not raise a sufficient bonus to induce the railroad to come that way. Consequently the railroad started a new town and called it Sumner. It was located in 1882. Prior to this time it was known as Crossland. The town was named for a civil engineer. (Bert Moore; Eaton, p. 274; Smith & Gehrig, p. 246; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 612)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Swain School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Taylor School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:The Point
Description:See Louisville.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thorntonsburg
Description:See Louisville.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Trent School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Triplett
Description:Triplett was incorporated in 1881. Among the early settlers in the township was Israel Porche who located on what was known as Porche's Prairie. The vicinity of Triplett was known as Porche's Prairie until the building of the railroad. (TOP. MAP, MARSHALL; Smith & Gehrig, pp. 245-6; Eaton, p. 274; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part I, p. 230; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 484-5; Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 329)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Triplett
Description:Triplett came into being in 1870. The railroad, then the Brunswick and Chillicothe, now the Wabash High Line, put it on the map because a station was needed. The land on which the town of Triplett was laid out belonged to Alex Hooper and John E.M. Triplett. It was the latter who built the first house in town and for whom the town was named.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Triplett Township
Description:Triplett Township was organized in 1840 and was probably named for the town of Triplett. (TOP. MAP, MARSHALL; Smith & Gehrig, p. 231; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 411, 483)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:"This creek was formerly in a brushy location, stocked with wild turkeys." (Colonel F.A. Powers, (letter).
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Vance School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walconda
Description:See Wyconda, Wakenda.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walker School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Warden School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Washington School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wayland Township
Description:Wayland Township probably was named from Eli Wayland, an early settler. (Smith & Gehrig, pp. 233-4; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, pp. 501-2)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Westville
Description:Westville was laid out in August, 1857 by Dr. W.S. West for whom it was named. Dr. West was the first physician and postmaster. (Campbell, p. 135; Eaton, p. 274; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part I, p. 109; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 505; Parker, p. 227)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Westville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White Oak School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Whitman School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wien (Mt. St. Mary's)
Description:The town of Wien was laid out in 1877. It is a German Catholic Community. The Catholic Church here is called Mt. St. Mary. The post office is called Wien, which is the German name of Vienna in Austria. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 247; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 488; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part II, p. 241)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woods School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woodward School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Yellow Creek
Description:This creek is called Yellow Creek after the yellow clay which covers its banks. (Eli Nickell; HIST. LINN COUNTY, (map, p. 8)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Yellow Creek Township
Description:Yellow Creek Township was organized in 1840 and probably takes its name from the creek, which divides in three branches in the township. (Smith & Gehrig, p. 234; HIST. HOWARD & CHARITON, p. 502)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Zion School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names